Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
descendere
05-30-2006, 06:15 PM

i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. i was driving and listening to "the pot" and heard the line "rob the grave to snow the cradle" and i thought "hm, the cradle?"as in the "cradle of civilization", as in the area between the tigris and euphrates, as in iraq? using the idea that "rob the grave" refers to the use of the 9/11 victims to justify the war on terrorism, there's a connection there; i don't know if i necessarily believe that the song is strictly about the president and the war, but i was wondering if anyone else caught this possible reference

Last edited by descendere; 05-30-2006 at 06:45 PM..
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
"the cradle" of civilization

i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. i was driving and listening to "the pot" and heard the line "rob the grave to snow the cradle" and i thought "hm, the cradle?"as in the "cradle of civilization", as in the area between the tigris and euphrates, as in iraq? using the idea that "rob the grave" refers to the use of the 9/11 victims to justify the war on terrorism, there's a connection there; i don't know if i necessarily believe that the song is strictly about the president and the war, but i was wondering if anyone else caught this possible reference

Last edited by descendere; 05-30-2006 at 06:45 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
evilprimeval
05-30-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendere
Yes, and I think it's as sound as any idea put forth to this point. It fits well.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7
Re: "the cradle" of civilization

Quote:
Yes, and I think it's as sound as any idea put forth to this point. It fits well.
rogerdoger's Avatar rogerdoger
05-30-2006, 07:25 PM

Nice idea! Damn, I've noticed that lyric a lot, but never drawn it to that conclusion... Personally, I think this is a political song, and it's about a lot of things. Very cool.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
Re: the cradle

Nice idea! Damn, I've noticed that lyric a lot, but never drawn it to that conclusion... Personally, I think this is a political song, and it's about a lot of things. Very cool.
05-30-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger
Stop reducing this song to a "Bush thing". It's clearly about Maynard's mother. ;)
Old 05-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #4

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger
Stop reducing this song to a "Bush thing". It's clearly about Maynard's mother. ;)
kether4602's Avatar kether4602
05-30-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
damn, i've never thought of it that way. that sounds right on. although, i think he (MJK) touches on more than just 9/11 in this song. perhaps thats why you only brought up the one line.....:)
Old 05-30-2006, 11:20 PM   #5

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
damn, i've never thought of it that way. that sounds right on. although, i think he (MJK) touches on more than just 9/11 in this song. perhaps thats why you only brought up the one line.....:)
Her Ghost
05-31-2006, 02:09 AM

I'll take it!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:09 AM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

I'll take it!
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
05-31-2006, 09:46 AM

once you tie everything together, the song is about imperfection and the healing of basics...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

once you tie everything together, the song is about imperfection and the healing of basics...
Bukkhead
06-02-2006, 10:23 AM

I did a google search on "snow the cradle" and came up with nothing. Your theory is as good as mine. I mean, what you say is very compelling. What's my theory? I tried associating snow with cradle and got Christmas. We all know Jesus was probably born in late spring, as Mary and Joseph where in town for the census, and it was only later that the Catholic chruch placed Christ's Mass to coincide with the pagan winter festival, so the converts would have something to enjoy. They "snowed" the "cradle." "Rob the grave" then is a reference to Lazerus, which was the final sign used to declare Christ's divinity. Recall that it was not until the council of Nicea, some 300 years after the crucifixion, that Christ's divinity was made a matter of chruch doctrine. Therefore, the line "rob the grave to snow the cradle" is interpreted as "Use your myths to establish your self-righteousness," which means that the place from which they judge is baseless. Mind you, this is not an attack on Jesus, just an attack on hypocritical churches.

Yep, I admit, far fetched. Doesn't explain "burn the evidence down." DOES lend itself to "Kangaroo court" and "lawyer", as it was the miracle of Lazerus which led directly to the decision of the Sanhedrin to condemn Jesus.

--JE

Last edited by Bukkhead; 06-02-2006 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

I did a google search on "snow the cradle" and came up with nothing. Your theory is as good as mine. I mean, what you say is very compelling. What's my theory? I tried associating snow with cradle and got Christmas. We all know Jesus was probably born in late spring, as Mary and Joseph where in town for the census, and it was only later that the Catholic chruch placed Christ's Mass to coincide with the pagan winter festival, so the converts would have something to enjoy. They "snowed" the "cradle." "Rob the grave" then is a reference to Lazerus, which was the final sign used to declare Christ's divinity. Recall that it was not until the council of Nicea, some 300 years after the crucifixion, that Christ's divinity was made a matter of chruch doctrine. Therefore, the line "rob the grave to snow the cradle" is interpreted as "Use your myths to establish your self-righteousness," which means that the place from which they judge is baseless. Mind you, this is not an attack on Jesus, just an attack on hypocritical churches.

Yep, I admit, far fetched. Doesn't explain "burn the evidence down." DOES lend itself to "Kangaroo court" and "lawyer", as it was the miracle of Lazerus which led directly to the decision of the Sanhedrin to condemn Jesus.

--JE

Last edited by Bukkhead; 06-02-2006 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typos
Liquid Identity 010's Avatar Liquid Identity 010
06-22-2006, 06:22 PM

Sticking to the theme of a verbal altercation or a misguided judgement being handed down, here's what I get from the grave/cradle/evidence lines:

'Robbing the grave' is digging up old, tired or dead issues. Snow is clean and fresh. A cradle signifies the birth of something. So 'snowing the cradle' is making something new.

So an old point or issue is being brought up again but the person speaking is trying to pass it off as something new or relevant. It's just the same old shit.
Burning the evidence down would be denying that the point has been proven to be without merit/relevance in the past.

Someone is talking out their ass and trying to pass it off as gospel.
Or trying to start an arguement based on something that has already been brought up in the past.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Sticking to the theme of a verbal altercation or a misguided judgement being handed down, here's what I get from the grave/cradle/evidence lines:

'Robbing the grave' is digging up old, tired or dead issues. Snow is clean and fresh. A cradle signifies the birth of something. So 'snowing the cradle' is making something new.

So an old point or issue is being brought up again but the person speaking is trying to pass it off as something new or relevant. It's just the same old shit.
Burning the evidence down would be denying that the point has been proven to be without merit/relevance in the past.

Someone is talking out their ass and trying to pass it off as gospel.
Or trying to start an arguement based on something that has already been brought up in the past.
static's Avatar static
06-22-2006, 06:44 PM

wow, actually, that kind of makes sense. Snow, as in snowflakes falling- or bombs? The Cradle? Hmmm...
Old 06-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1555

wow, actually, that kind of makes sense. Snow, as in snowflakes falling- or bombs? The Cradle? Hmmm...
kyleb
06-22-2006, 08:47 PM

Snow

v ...

2: conceal one's true motives from especially by elaborately feigning good intentions so as to gain an end

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Snow

That fits descendere's theory nicely.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Snow

v ...

2: conceal one's true motives from especially by elaborately feigning good intentions so as to gain an end

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Snow

That fits descendere's theory nicely.
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
06-23-2006, 12:14 AM

I hear "rob the grave to SOW the cradle", but it still fits with your theory
Old 06-23-2006, 12:14 AM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Liquid Identity 010's Avatar Liquid Identity 010
06-23-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
That would make perfect sense.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
That would make perfect sense.
Alcawhorlick's Avatar Alcawhorlick
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM

yeah, what kyleb said.

I always thought he means something similar to "snow job" which is sorta like the definition he gave.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 17

yeah, what kyleb said.

I always thought he means something similar to "snow job" which is sorta like the definition he gave.
arad512's Avatar arad512
07-02-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I think this is a really interesting point, but it seems like the whole song is metaphorical (i.e. "Pot calling the kettle black", "chosen indigo", "throwing stones in a glass house", "kangaroo court"). So I think that using the word "cradle" to represent a specific location would be inconsistent. I think cradle and grave are both metaphors as well, but what exactly they are referring to I'm not sure.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I think this is a really interesting point, but it seems like the whole song is metaphorical (i.e. "Pot calling the kettle black", "chosen indigo", "throwing stones in a glass house", "kangaroo court"). So I think that using the word "cradle" to represent a specific location would be inconsistent. I think cradle and grave are both metaphors as well, but what exactly they are referring to I'm not sure.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
07-02-2006, 10:53 PM

nah
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

nah
07-02-2006, 10:54 PM

It's about MJK's tiff wit 2 pac
Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Banned.

Flooded
07-03-2006, 08:51 PM

i love some of the ideas everyone comes up with, it sometimes makes me smile because i think the same thing or something clicked in my head
Old 07-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

i love some of the ideas everyone comes up with, it sometimes makes me smile because i think the same thing or something clicked in my head
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
07-05-2006, 11:36 AM

bang-up job, chaps!
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

bang-up job, chaps!
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
eleventh minute
07-08-2006, 08:44 AM

rob the grave to snow the cradle. hmmm...

I really like the deduction about 9/11 and iraq. but im looking at it as a more domestic point of view. I think that it has more of a 'covering up the past, to hide it from the youth' ...one of those "who controls the past controls the future..." kinda deals. then the "burn the evidence down" part, serves as reinforcment.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Location: according to quantum theory, a part of me is somewhere, we just dont know where or how much.

rob the grave to snow the cradle. hmmm...

I really like the deduction about 9/11 and iraq. but im looking at it as a more domestic point of view. I think that it has more of a 'covering up the past, to hide it from the youth' ...one of those "who controls the past controls the future..." kinda deals. then the "burn the evidence down" part, serves as reinforcment.
07-08-2006, 09:15 AM

this song in particular is made up almost entirely of metaphors, so its really subjective... if you see wars and iraq in this song, thats what you're looking for. if you see a petty sqwabble between maynard and a worthless rapper, thats what you're looking for. personally, i see a coming-of-age story about a little boy too scared to join the circus for fear that his grandpa may disown him... see? its subjective.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

this song in particular is made up almost entirely of metaphors, so its really subjective... if you see wars and iraq in this song, thats what you're looking for. if you see a petty sqwabble between maynard and a worthless rapper, thats what you're looking for. personally, i see a coming-of-age story about a little boy too scared to join the circus for fear that his grandpa may disown him... see? its subjective.
santel
07-24-2006, 03:45 PM

if we take rob the grave as in the sense of grave robbers, like the people to take artifacts from tombs and sell them on the black market, it can be seen as: rob the grave, as in to take from the past without leaving any recollection of what was there. Snow the cradle, as in to hide from those in the literal cradle( children ) from what had actually happened. Burn the evidence down, as in to destroy the evidence of any wrongdoing, either in robbing the grave or concealing it.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

if we take rob the grave as in the sense of grave robbers, like the people to take artifacts from tombs and sell them on the black market, it can be seen as: rob the grave, as in to take from the past without leaving any recollection of what was there. Snow the cradle, as in to hide from those in the literal cradle( children ) from what had actually happened. Burn the evidence down, as in to destroy the evidence of any wrongdoing, either in robbing the grave or concealing it.
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-24-2006, 05:35 PM

I always perceived it as :
Steal from the past (our forefathers) claim it as your own. Tell the youth that you did it, and you burned the evidence down, so that the youth (the cradle) will have to take your word for it because there's nothing left to study.
Moreso, in a religious context: Take the past make it how it suits you and don't leave anything around to prove otherwise.
In a political context: Claim all the greatness those before you created, claim responsibility (Al Gore invented the internet) and snow the youth with your bullshit....
etc, etc, etc,
Old 07-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

I always perceived it as :
Steal from the past (our forefathers) claim it as your own. Tell the youth that you did it, and you burned the evidence down, so that the youth (the cradle) will have to take your word for it because there's nothing left to study.
Moreso, in a religious context: Take the past make it how it suits you and don't leave anything around to prove otherwise.
In a political context: Claim all the greatness those before you created, claim responsibility (Al Gore invented the internet) and snow the youth with your bullshit....
etc, etc, etc,
08-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Two words. Cradle of Love.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #24

Two words. Cradle of Love.
08-02-2006, 04:22 PM

*rofl*
Old 08-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #25
Banned.

*rofl*
santel
08-03-2006, 04:23 PM

wow, that just made visiting this site worth it.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

wow, that just made visiting this site worth it.
08-03-2006, 05:16 PM

I just made that my signature
Old 08-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #27
Banned.

I just made that my signature
Godin
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM

"Rob the grave [in order] to snow the cradle, then burn the evidence down".

In any event, it's important to note that the lyric suggests we must "rob the grave" as a preceding action to snowing the cradle. The one must come necessarily before the other, because the first is the cause of the second.

"rob the grave" -to forcefully seek out a sort of consciousness, or wisdom, that is well beyond your years; the type of consciousness, or wisdom, that the dead who have travelled beyond the grave would possess about our world, hypothetically speaking of course.

"snow the cradle" -to freeze out the warm and pure loving nature of your youth, probably through gaining the beyond the grave type of consciousness, which tends on dehumanizing an individual.

"burn the evidence down" -cut yourself off from your past by eliminating, or just distancing yourself from, your origins. Once it's no longer apparent that you were ever different than the cold and removed way that you are now (since your youth/cradle has been "snowed"), you will finally achieve the separation from your youth that you apparently were seeking by robbing the grave in order to snow the cradle. You will forget entirely that at one time you were much different in nature; that you were much less consumed in your pursuit of obtaining profound beyond the grave type knowlege; that you were much less concerned with cleaning your eyes with "lemon juice" (as is stated in the song) which is thought to help you see, or perceive, things better; that you were ever once much more human-like than you are now.

We become removed from our young warm and passionate nature (snow the cradle) by forcefully instilling ourselves with abstract knowledge (rob the grave); the type of knowledge that tends to keep our thoughts "soooo high" above typical daily patterns of thought, but of which types of thought is also instilled by smoking pot. :-)

Overall, I've considered that this song is about someone who is under an intense pursuit of knowledge, but of whom is picking and choosing the facts that go along with his preconception of reality, or whatever. This person holds a "kangaroo court" in the sense that their decision about reality is already made up before they go in search of the facts, as kangaroo courts are notorious for making their judgements before the trial even begins.

-Godin

Do we move only 'cause we need to move, and hense should state all the rest -the justifications- as mere pretense?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #28

"Rob the grave [in order] to snow the cradle, then burn the evidence down".

In any event, it's important to note that the lyric suggests we must "rob the grave" as a preceding action to snowing the cradle. The one must come necessarily before the other, because the first is the cause of the second.

"rob the grave" -to forcefully seek out a sort of consciousness, or wisdom, that is well beyond your years; the type of consciousness, or wisdom, that the dead who have travelled beyond the grave would possess about our world, hypothetically speaking of course.

"snow the cradle" -to freeze out the warm and pure loving nature of your youth, probably through gaining the beyond the grave type of consciousness, which tends on dehumanizing an individual.

"burn the evidence down" -cut yourself off from your past by eliminating, or just distancing yourself from, your origins. Once it's no longer apparent that you were ever different than the cold and removed way that you are now (since your youth/cradle has been "snowed"), you will finally achieve the separation from your youth that you apparently were seeking by robbing the grave in order to snow the cradle. You will forget entirely that at one time you were much different in nature; that you were much less consumed in your pursuit of obtaining profound beyond the grave type knowlege; that you were much less concerned with cleaning your eyes with "lemon juice" (as is stated in the song) which is thought to help you see, or perceive, things better; that you were ever once much more human-like than you are now.

We become removed from our young warm and passionate nature (snow the cradle) by forcefully instilling ourselves with abstract knowledge (rob the grave); the type of knowledge that tends to keep our thoughts "soooo high" above typical daily patterns of thought, but of which types of thought is also instilled by smoking pot. :-)

Overall, I've considered that this song is about someone who is under an intense pursuit of knowledge, but of whom is picking and choosing the facts that go along with his preconception of reality, or whatever. This person holds a "kangaroo court" in the sense that their decision about reality is already made up before they go in search of the facts, as kangaroo courts are notorious for making their judgements before the trial even begins.

-Godin

Do we move only 'cause we need to move, and hense should state all the rest -the justifications- as mere pretense?
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
08-03-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
Finally... someone else finally gets it. Evolution still has a chance.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 08-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Finally... someone else finally gets it. Evolution still has a chance.

08-03-2006, 07:53 PM

Edit: Double post

Old 08-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Edit: Double post

RiseToYourHalo's Avatar RiseToYourHalo
08-04-2006, 04:05 AM

Great insight and post Godin.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:05 AM   #31
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

Great insight and post Godin.
08-04-2006, 08:49 AM

BlanketEffect: Are you being ironic? Cause I did find a webpage all about the tiff...
RiseToYourHalo: Absolutely
Old 08-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #32
Banned.

BlanketEffect: Are you being ironic? Cause I did find a webpage all about the tiff...
RiseToYourHalo: Absolutely
08-05-2006, 04:36 PM

Here's something about it... dig deeper at your risk of sinking into blog hell.

http://thaspot.thuglifearmy.com/blog...5/02/4066.aspx

Old 08-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Here's something about it... dig deeper at your risk of sinking into blog hell.

http://thaspot.thuglifearmy.com/blog...5/02/4066.aspx

08-05-2006, 08:13 PM

yep, that's the article I read too.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #34
Banned.

yep, that's the article I read too.
08-05-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
Shit, I hope Maynard don't get capped.
*lol*

well, not really, but *lol*
Old 08-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #35
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
Shit, I hope Maynard don't get capped.
*lol*

well, not really, but *lol*
08-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Graaaagh!
IOTA has tricked you, and has eaten your brains - you have now joined the shambling, grey-skinned legions of the undead, along with everyone else who has ever visited this page.

IOTA the zombie has eaten 4 brains. Yours was delicious.
Damnit!

Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Graaaagh!
IOTA has tricked you, and has eaten your brains - you have now joined the shambling, grey-skinned legions of the undead, along with everyone else who has ever visited this page.

IOTA the zombie has eaten 4 brains. Yours was delicious.
Damnit!

08-06-2006, 09:30 AM

^

*AAaargghhh*
Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #37
Banned.

^

*AAaargghhh*
08-06-2006, 09:59 AM

You know, now that I read the *entire* article.... I dunno... seems pretty farfetched and grasping at straws. He even drew parallels from 'The Pot' but the lyrics posted there aren't right... so who knows?

Certainly not I.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

You know, now that I read the *entire* article.... I dunno... seems pretty farfetched and grasping at straws. He even drew parallels from 'The Pot' but the lyrics posted there aren't right... so who knows?

Certainly not I.

figgy2967
08-10-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilprimeval

Your bieng sarcastic yes?
I like the idea that it could have to do with Iraq, as in steal Iraq's oil, and snow the angel bieng making us (USA) richer? could be... or it could be as someone else said earlier, just bringing up old isues and trying to put a new light on them.. either way we'll probably never know. Good theory though
Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilprimeval

Your bieng sarcastic yes?
I like the idea that it could have to do with Iraq, as in steal Iraq's oil, and snow the angel bieng making us (USA) richer? could be... or it could be as someone else said earlier, just bringing up old isues and trying to put a new light on them.. either way we'll probably never know. Good theory though

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply