opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/11/27 - Wembley, UK - Wembley Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Swamp Song
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24
Re: 2006/11/27 - Wembley, UK - Wembley Arena

Stinkfist (otrm)
Swamp Song
Jambi
Schism (sped up)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
intermission
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

High points - Swamp Song - fucking perfect...kills Sober anyday.....Wings.....Lateralus as per usual....Vicarious was the tightest I've ever heard it.

Great sound.....great night...sleep

Last edited by theescapedslave; 11-27-2006 at 04:17 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

yeah that was the best show ive seen by tool, in fact the best concert ive ever been to.

to start off the night, i was standing by the merch stand and i had already waited for 15 minutes to get to the front of the que so i was about to pay for my tshirts and stuff and i turn around and justin is standing just behind the merch stand amongst all the fans, just him and some guy and he was talking and looking at the merch, and it seemed that i was the only person who actually noticed who he was. all these fans were walking past him and bumping into him and they had no idea who he was, which was quite funny.
so, mastodon. i dont remember their set but it was wicked. sound was a bit bad, too much bass but during the last song, hearts alive, danny was chilling at the side of the stage nodding his head along to the music which was cool.
hearing swamp song live for the first time was amazing for me, i got really into that song, but apparently they played pushit during soundcheck so i was disappointed not to hear that. but overall the sound was incredible. from the front just on the left hand side i could hear every single note that was played. which for me was a first at a metal gig, the sound is never ever that good. did anyone hear the borat joke at the end? yeah that was quality. and the borat themesong played after the show. tool have a good sense of humour. also adam seemed to be getting really into it, well more than the other shows ive seen them play at. and justin was going crazy. danny also had his snare taken away after stinkfist and my friend who was seated just next to the stage said that he had to play the whole song using a tom instead of his snare.
one thing which really got on my nerves though was the security. it was good that they stopped people smoking because i guess the band really didnt want people to smoke, and maynard seemed in good spirits during the show, im guessing its because of that, but when moshpits broke out the security would go out in groups of about 15 and haul out people just having a good time and jumping around. that was really irritating. but it didnt really affect me that much.
whatever, best show ever i think.
cant wait till they come back in the summer (different setlist....fingers crossed)
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Amazing. Wiped the floor with Hammersmith and Download, that was my fourth time seeing Tool this year and I am seeing them in Nottingham on Friday too!

Amazingly amazing, Wings/10K were my highlights. The laser show rocked!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Great show, but Dublin was just a margin better. Sound was very good for an arena but the Point sound and crowd give it a slight edge. Was cool to hear Swamp Song for the first time!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Sound checked pushit. Would like to think that the spring/summer '07 leg will yield some of the other gems they've been rehearsing: The Grudge, Eulogy etc...Good show nonetheless.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Fantastic show, definately better than Hammersmith.

Sound was brilliant, quite surprised as it was awful last time i was there...
Old 11-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Wow! What can I say?!

Maynard walked out wearing the bright orange zip up Puscifer hoody (not seen that before) which came off towards the end of Stinkfist.

But anyways, point of this bulletin was mostly about Wings/10,000 days. I have forever been an Atheist, yes I know I will get a lot of complaints and whines from this, but after seeing that live really has made me feel slightly Agnostic. Yes, Maynards lyrics are extremely powerful and thoughtful, almost as if he is believing in the God, I cannot tell. I do not know exactly his thoughts. Though it did not change my mind.

But the lyrics do mean a lot to me, and I have some relation to them, but it never made me feel any different towards God, but after actually seeing the wings/10k days performace has opened my eyes. Now i'll expect for all the sarcatic cunty comments now, but never in my life have I ever seen a song played with some much passion and feeling. It was almost as if, well for me 'God' was in the room. It was just so, perfect and passionate.

Blah, im quite pissed at the moment, i'll explain how im feeling proplerly tomorrow.

Maynadisms I can remember, he wasn't too sociable tonight:

"Maynard Keenan, Carey - Irish
Jones: Welsh
Chancellor: British" *cheer* Or something along those lines

"Always a pleasure, never a chore. See you in Summer"

Also, I could have sworn new Vicarious video parts were being played?

I also thought I had heard Pushit at Soundcheck, but was to hear clearly.....

Bring on Thursday and Friday \m/

Peace out!

Last edited by misanthrope_13; 11-28-2006 at 04:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

What a great show: Maynard's voice was on much better form than the Hammersmith gig I went to and they played Swamp Song!!! I didn't spot the Borat reference though - anyone get it?
Also, I want to defend the Security here as, clearly, they are given instructions by the band as to how to behave, and if they don't follow them to the letter we wouldn't get to see Tool anymore. It's well known that Maynard hates flash photography so that's why anyone taking pics/vids had a light shone in their camera.
But hey, who cares when Tool were so good!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

just got back. amazing show, i'm guna go as far as to say tonight was *even* better than at Ahoy, NL just a few weeks ago.. and thats just down the track from Amsterdam Centraal for fucks sake!! The production tonight was vast, the sound was great, and if you don't agree, fucking well stop moaning and learn to stand somewhere decent.

Loads to say about tonight, but I blatantly won't get around to it..

"this jacket is NAAAT black!"
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Just arrived back from the gig, won't be able to get to sleep for a while! What can i say? This was my first Tool gig, and it was everything I thought it would be, and more so.

The setlist was near perfect, Stinkfist is the quintessential opener to a Tool concert. Swamp Song and Jambi rocked the arena to the ground, Schism was improvised and sounded awesome. The Pot was a big crowd pleaser, wasn't crazy about it before but I am now. Lost Keys/Rosetta was

Then came the highlights, Wings for Marie/10,000 days was something else. The raw emotion in those songs was incredibly moving. The lasers began at this point, was a very nice touch

My personal highlight has got to be Lateralus. My favourite Tool song, and one of my favourite songs ever. It touched my very core. The last 2 minutes were simply stunning.

Vicarious sounded tight, terrific live performance of the song.

Aenema was an erupting finale, loud as hell. Great ending.

Maynard said see you next summer, I'll sure as hell be there.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Rav

Bincount™: 1

What a night, great set, great atmosphere. I preferred the Hammersmith gigs though.

Security flashing the lights was annoying but the fact is they were mainly doing it to stop people smoking. When some cunt in front of me lit up a joint and blew all the smoke into the face of the guy next to me, he deserved to be chucked out. Especially since the poor bloke had an asthma attack and when security turned up they thought it was him that had been smoking. Not cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

really really great show.. great gig.. the greatest i've seen so far.. by tool or any other bands.. it was a really complete gig.. not only was the music perfect, the visuals/lights were flawless.. what to say, it's tool

i missed mastodon coz of arriving late.. duno if they're good or not.. but simply tool's set is enough for me.. starting off with stinkfist, the most famous tool's in clubs, the whole crowd has already get hyped.. like how maynard's jacket glow in the UV (is it?) light.. i also like the extension in between second chorus and final bit.. is it the OTR mix? sounds awesome to me

swampsong.. fucking well done tonight.. another flawless piece.. i actually think it's done better than sober live.. coz (maybe i'm wrong) maynard had a hard time hitting the high note for sober (WHY can we not be sober?) in the last gig in hammersmith.. and i'm not sure why they chose this particular track from undertow.. hmm.. they're probably sending out some hidden messages......

next comes the first greeting from the host of tonight's show, maynard..
"Good evening! I have a good news and a bad news. I'll start with the good news
Good news is:
Danny Carey, Maynard Keenan -- Irish
Adam Jones -- Welsh (my welsh mate cheered for that :))
and Justin Chancellor -- English
And the bad news is: there is no bad news."

Right where the intro of Jambi comes in.. this bit is fucking great.. the impact of the intro just comes in right on time.. fucking great.. and love the lights that flash according to the beat Adam is playing during the intro.. other than that, another piece well done.. and yeah i forgot to mention maynard's voice is so much better this time round.. particularly noticeable in jambi.. as i can actually hear the words he's singing..

next up is the ol' time classic Schism, for me, it kind of loses its impact on me this time round compared to last time in hammersmith.. but it's still good.. one thing good for schism this time, is (of course) the voice again.. loud and clear.. two things: i like how maynard kind of adds the backup vocals during "cold silence has..." it could or could not be backup vocals.. but it sounded amazing.. good job there.. and i like two bars of the extension bit when the bass just plays single note for two bars.. i notice the difference and i loved it.. (duno if u guys know what i mean)

hoho.. lost keys/rosetta stoned... my favourite track on 10,000 days.. lost keys was quite good.. but i think Justin had some hard time with the effects.. as the delay was a bit longer than expected i think.. and noticing that Justin kind of screwed up, Adam was a bit panicky i think.. he got one/two notes wrong.. haha quite funny.. rosetta stoned.. quite well done i think, compared to the previous reviews i read for rosetta stoned.. the only part i'll like to mention is the first "rap" verse (10 to 2am, DMT, X...) ended up shorter than the original track.. but the band still carried on, nice work.. and maynard didn't chant the "holy fucking shit" for 8 times!! (one of my favourite bit in this song) other than that... fucking great.. just like the part "Overwhelmed as one could be..." amazing lines/tunes..

here comes a short instrumental.. the drum beat.. if u listen closely, i really thought they were gonna play Third EYE!! which would've been fucking great!! should've played that.. but, it actually leads to......
the pot, i'd say the most poppy song in 10,000 days, nevertheless it's still great.. and congrats on getting no.1 in billboard for two weeks.. Tool really deserve it.. 10,000 Days should be on no.1 album chart for a month or more! for this song, i only like the part "weeping shades of indigo, shed without a reason.." that's the highlight.. of the song.. which is nicely done.. other than that, like the ending bit.. one of the greatest ending since schism.. wish i can feel the 'umph!' when i play the ending on my guitar but just doesn't feel right without the bass and drum..

then there comes the intermission.. wish they'd have played Intermission (from Aenima).. could've fit.. like the part when Justin put up his lighters.. some interaction.. as maynard's not keen on making jokes tonight..

starting off second part with wings/10,000 days, awesome is all i have to say.. with the huge blank backdrop never used up until now, the artwork of Alex Grey suddenly show up in the middle of the song.. GREAT! and the factor that dominates this song..... the introduction of the green lasers... this is the "visual" part of tonight.. wouldn't have been a complete show without the lasers.. fucking awesome.. from this song, u can see clearly, that Tool is on fire this time round.. they're up to their fullest this time.. and no mistake in this song.. and yes, like the part where Maynard sings "Give me my wings.." awesome

after this song ends, i was satisfied.. i feel like the money i've paid for, i've got it back.. so i wasn't really listening the last three songs.. still hypnotized by wings/10,000days.. but lateralus was great.. like the part where they use different effect, instead of drum, in the beginning before the guitar intro comes in.. and also, what i like about lateralus this time round, is that the bass doesn't slow down tooooooo much after "reaching out to embrace whatever may come!" (if u know what i mean).. coz i notice in past live shows, Justin slows down a lot in that part.. including the one in Hammersmith Apollo.. well, nicely done again.. coz doing lateralus is probably like breathing air for Tool now..

Vicarious is nicely done.. tho, i dun really like it when Maynard passed the mic the crowd instead of him singing the last chorus.. but i guess there's some limit to his voice too.. needs some rest.. the notes are fucking high for the last chorus.. they've used the green lasers throughout this song as well.. but the impact is just not there already.. well, given the equipment, Tool would've said that's the best they can come up with.. but hehe, i'm just a consumer, being fussy here,.. :P

Aenema.. no comments.. another perfect piece.. it's like doing lateralus.. easy..

Tool didn't play 46&2 or H. tonight.. two of my favourite Tool's songs.. but it's still a great show.. for me, Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are the highlights for tonight's show.. overall, Maynard is in good condition altho he didn't talk much.. which is fine for me.. i'd rather see Maynard singing.. Adam is definitely more involved this time.. the sound of guitar is more prominent.. Justin is as skillful as usual, like it when he does his headbanging.. the quiet man, Danny Carey, as important as usual.. the drumming is more subtle this time.. which is great because it was definitely toooo loud in hammersmith.. and also, like the guys walking around in lab coats.. haha.. looks like they're doing an experiment on Tool, as they are the lab rats..

oh well, enough said.. Good night, all Tool fans..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

got in from the show at 1:30 this morning and i was so hyped i think i eventually got about 2 hours sleep before having to get up for work. fantasic show. i couldn't believe it when they peeled out the opening to swamp song. didn't think we'd get that. every song was just superb. and they played the pot which i didn't get to see last time. had a pretty good view down on the floor about 30ft back. wings and 10,000 days were just incredible. definately a highlight. great visuals and weren't the lasers pretty? superb musicianship (as usual) and the concert seemed to last longer than i expected. the sound quality was incredible too. given that it took 4 songs for muse's sound guy to sort it out into something approaching listenable, the sound (and volume) were perfect right from the first note. there was a fantastic atmosphere in the crowd toosomone was complaining about ticket prices in the manchester thread - well i certainly feel i got my money's worth tonight.

despite the fact that the hammersmith show i went to was incredible, i think this just beats it. i hate wembley as a venue but playing there meant we got the big stage show and i'm far more intimately connected to the songs from 10,000 days now than back in june.

mastadon (who i didn't know) were actually pretty good too which was a bonus. i'll be checking out some of their albums (although i would rather have seen isis supporting).

the one downside was the guy standing in front of me who was out his fucking head. he was throwing himself around like a fucking lunaic which i didn't mind until he started elbowing me in the stomach 4th time it happened i grabbed him and threw him as far away from me as i could he turned around and i think, even in his drug addled state, he could tell i was pretty pissed at him. to the guy's credit, he came up to me put his arm around me and when i told him what he'd been doing apologised to me and said he wouldn't do it again, which he didn't. when the lights came out he actually came up to me and apologised again and said he hoped i hadn't spoilt my enjoyment of tool and even though he was completely off his tits he really did seem concerned he might have marred my enjoyment of tool so i gave him a hug and told him it was ok as he'd apologised and hadn't elbowed me any more. so cheers mad drug guy!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Best concert ever. Mastodon’s mix was shit. It was basically a wall of bass blowing my ears to shit, which is a pity because I really like their new album blood mountain.
Tool on the other hand was perfect. A lot of the visuals in the pot and vicarious are on the chet zar dvd. You can order it off his web site and its really awesome. Wings was an amazing spectacle and the moment where the song really kicks in and the back drop was revealed was the most amazing part of the night.
I was also really digging the intros they did for most songs. I also have to say that Justin is amazing. The whole night he was just giving it every thing. Did any one else notice him in Ænima? He looked like he was about to exploding.
Before Ænima Maynard said "there you have it, always a pleasure, never a choir, see you all next summer" I am 99% sure he said that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 AM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Gutted I stood where I did (1/3 back to the left of stage) cos it sounds like sound quality was better elsewhere! Having said that there seemed to be a lot of rocking out in my general vicinity - espec. the guy in a red top who was totally hyped already before the show, and a girl with some cool piercings who was trancing out almost as much as me - haha.

Hammersmith was a cleaner show overall for me - everything sounded just right, and so clear. Guys seemed tighter there too but it was nice to hear some crazy new slants on their songs last night.

Shame they didn't play more of their old stuff last night - Eulogy, H, 46&2 (which I was so looking forward to), but really glad they played Aenema.

Lateralus sounded more powerful than other gigs. Laser show was just intense - I think everyone in the audience was just taken aback when they start going all over the show (they bounced from back to front to side and created a web of green bars in the sky)!

Loved the Maynard comments as always.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

This gig was too good, definitely one my favs, the lasers were kool the sound was great, and tool were great. Lateralus and aenima were my favs. But all the songs were played well tonight. Hope they come back next summer like they said.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #18
Rav

Bincount™: 1

The gig was marred for me by one thing only...the train home.

I was sitting next to two girls and guy. The guy loudly exclaimed that Rosetta Stoned went on for too long, was boring and he didn't know what it was about.

He then said Wings/10,000 Days was his favourite....how does that work? Those two are much longer than Rosetta Stoned. Twat.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 01:23 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xethmir View Post
Gutted I stood where I did (1/3 back to the left of stage) cos it sounds like sound quality was better elsewhere! Having said that there seemed to be a lot of rocking out in my general vicinity - espec. the guy in a red top who was totally hyped already before the show, and a girl with some cool piercings who was trancing out almost as much as me - haha.

Hammersmith was a cleaner show overall for me - everything sounded just right, and so clear.
i was right in the middle of the stage and the sound quality was superb. overall the sound probably was better at hammersmith but given that wembley arena is such a bad venue acoustically this is the best and clearest sound i have ever heard here, the only group coming close to getting the clarity tool achieved that i have seen there was rush.

ment to mention before how much i enjoyed the merkaba jam just before lateralus too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
The gig was marred for me by one thing only...the train home.

I was sitting next to two girls and guy. The guy loudly exclaimed that Rosetta Stoned went on for too long, was boring and he didn't know what it was about.

He then said Wings/10,000 Days was his favourite....how does that work? Those two are much longer than Rosetta Stoned. Twat.
all you can do is ignore people like that. lost keys is far better than on record and rosetta stoned is a blast. proves tool have a sense of humour!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 02:30 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

In from Wembley late, 4 hours sleep, back to work again. >_<

Fuck, it was a great gig though. I say, great, since several factors kinda put a dampner on things to stop it ascending to the awe inspiring level.

- Wembley. Shit venue. Shit sound. Shit location.

- Mastodon. Missed the first song. I was really, really looking forward to seeing the 'Don live and whilst the band were tight as arseholes, the sound was fucking atroicuous. Way, way too bottom heavy, with no mids at all, so it was pretty much less crushing riffage that we'd come to expect, with the the drum and bass completely dominating the sound.

- No Blood & Thunder. No, the band aren't a jukebox, I know, but I really wanted to hear this live and they didn't play it. Boo.

- The people. Far too many wankers there tonight. No consideration for others. I mean, why the fuck do some people go to a gig, only to hold their phone up throughout. Am I missing something here?

- The people. Again. Following on, the pushing past and general rudeness. No apologies, just batter through like your the only that matters. Pricks. My cousin nearly ended up punching the shit out of some bloke, who barged right past his fiancee without so much as an apology, nearly knocking her on her arse.

- This is the fourth time I've seen Tool now and I felt on a couple occassions, they were kinda going through the motions, little bit lax here and there. MJK was singing double-time it seemed during 'Rosetta Stoned'.

Now for the good...

- Wings/10,000 Days. This single-handedly elevated the gig status for me. Absolutely incredible live, coupled with the spectacular laser show that goes with it and you can't go wrong with such a superb piece of music.

- Swamp Song. Haven't heard this one in a while before tonight, but fuck me, it sounded fantastic.

- Lateralus. Still (for me) the best live Tool song I've heard! It works on both levels so well and *that* gong Danny Carey uses, fuck me, it's LOUD!!1!1!

Great gig, not their best though, IMO. I don't think they've quite topped the first time they came over on the 'Lateralus' tour for me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 02:40 AM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

I sat outside on the stairs and wrote a huge post on my phone, but then my GPRS cut out and I got logged out and my post was lost. Now my memory's not as fresh *_*

Anyway, Mastodon were a pretty cool band but their mix sounded fucking awful. Nonetheless I'll have to check them out!

Did anyone notice Danny fucking up a few times? I found that odd! But in general the whole set was pretty good. 10,000 days was amazing, I got goosebumps during the 'what they gonna do when the lights go down?' bit. Lateralus and the extended Stinkfist and were also top notch. Jambi and Vicarious sounded really good too. Actually, I can't think of one song that didn't sound good.

I too thought they were going to play Third Eye when they played the pot. I'm sure they were playing the intro ambience from Salival.

Compared to Hammersmith the crowd were far more annoying. In Hammersmith it was like everyone was stoned before they got there, so everyone just stood still and enjoyed the show. At Wembley it was like a punk/thrash gig for the last half hour. I had these guys behind me trying to start a mosh pit. They kept pushing me into this poor girl in front of me. At least her hair smelt nice. And apparently I kept laughing at random :D That must have been the pot fumes in the air.

Afterwards I lost my friend and was walking around outside for about 2 hours! I found her at 1am in Baker Street waiting for a Circle Line train (that had stopped running an hour earlier, clever that). Then we got a cab.

Hi to the friendly New Zealand people if you read this!

Last edited by Teaboy; 11-28-2006 at 02:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Xethmir - good points on sound comparisons from Hammersmith to Wembley - agree completely.

Sandbox Magician - more good points on some of the obnoxious twats barging blindly through people - why can't people be considerate to others and be aware of how much space they take up in this world? I guess every band has it's fair share of idiot-fans. And again re: "great gig, but not their best.".

Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days was a highlight for me as was Swamp Song (though personally I love Flood more!).

About my 14th Tool show in 13 years, and I still love them, but I'm hoping we'll get more than a T in the Park / V2007 festival set from them next year...fingers crossed and bye for now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 02:52 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

The idiot-fans seemed to conglomerate more-so at this one, than any other Tool show I've been too, which really irked me.

The one thing I hate about Wembley is the lack of floor-slope ala' Brixton/Hammersmith, so you get some big people in-front, your stuffed and can't see 'owt.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 02:54 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox Magician View Post
- The people. Again. Following on, the pushing past and general rudeness. No apologies, just batter through like your the only that matters. Pricks. My cousin nearly ended up punching the shit out of some bloke, who barged right past his fiancee without so much as an apology, nearly knocking her on her arse.
unfortunately this always seems to happen at wembley. most people that squeezed by me did actually say thank you but there are always some ignorant fuckers.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:13 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

http://stashbox.org/6031/27nov.JPG

what a night maaaaaaaaaaaaaan

i love you all !!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:36 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Plenty of dumb ass belligerent fuckers there too sadly.

Show was absolutely phenomenal though! I agree, sound was much better than when I saw them Hammersmith Apollo in June. That was great but I think last night just topped it. Maynard was spot on straight away; you could here every word where I was to the right of the stage, right from "something has to change....". Set list was predictable of course but still brilliant. Great to hear Swamp Song and the newest material off 10,000 days just seems to get better and better with each listen.

Have to say, I was a bit concerned about the venues for this tour being the big commercial arenas. I mean take a look at the posters around the place for all the pop groups playing there next! The atmosphere was great and I know Tool are bigger now than they have ever been, but I just would have liked them to have kept it down to the usual theatre level. Have to see where they play next year after 10,000 Days has died down a bit I guess. And speaking of the level the band have reached now, there were far too many non-heavy metal morons there I thought. When The Pot started, all of a sudden a total bunch of idiots in polo neck t-shirts with pints appeared from nowhere and just started jumping around, shouting and waving their arms and stuff. It was like that was the only track they knew or something. Not real Tool fans. Plus it really annoyed me how people decided to have a chat to their mates and start moving out and stuff right in the middle of Wings/10,000 days, the deepest, meaningful, and beautiful part of the set! No respect I'm afraid.

The most annoying thing was that every time the security saw someone taking a picture with their phone or smoking, they came along and shone a light in their face, but it didn't make people stop! It takes the piss, calling it a no smoking venue when people were still lighting up around you the whole time and don't care!

But don't get me wrong these are minor quibbles; the show was brilliant! Easily the best night of my life so far! Its just such a privilege to see the best band in the world performing the best music ever created right there in front of you. Unforgettable. All 4 of them are absolute geniuses. Cannot wait for the next chance to see them!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

@ lateralusgonghit - I can't say I disagree with anything you said, my sentiments exactly.

Quite ironic given the amount of "dumb ass belligerent fuckers" there last-night. At the risk of sounding like an elitist twat, the amount of people that had the look of 'a dog being shown a card trick' when the band launched into 'Swamp Song' was priceless.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

attended last's nights gig at wembley. Have to say my wife and i approached this gig with some trepidation as picking up on some other peoples comments on wembley not a very good venue. when we got inside and found our seats man were we gutted. we were in the highest seats possible right at the side of the stage. we managed to get our seats changed thank you to the helpful staff at the venue. regarding people's ignorance just in front of us were a group of idiots who insisted on talking through some of the essential parts of the music. why do these people bother to go why don't they piss of down the pub if they want to talk to their mates? anyway this is the 3rd time we've seen tool and they just get better and better, the sound from where we were was i have to say superb certainly the best i've heard at wembley. Highlights for me 10000/days i have to say not my fave off the album but live brilliant also vicarious actualy i wasn't dissappointed in any of it looking forward to the summer. just a quick note about mastodon i like this band i think they have bought a fresh dimension to the metal genre however the subtelties and the complexity of their music was totally lost in what can only be described as a truly awful sound mix
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #29

Bincount™: 7

Swamp song destroyed!

The pit area was most amusing - there was a real guerilla feel to it. Guerilla pit action! Everytime it kicked off the bouncers would come in after a few minutes, and everyone stopped moshing; it was a figurative hands in pockets whilst whistling type maneuver.
Then as the security caught the people stupid enough to carry on and took them away... "Security are wankers!" chants got going, lol.
People (myself included) were crowdsurfing *backwards*. That was some funny shit. You know if you got put over the top you were fucked, so everyone was going backwards and sideways. Fuckin' amusing!
Everytime someone tried to take a picture of the band, the security at front would shine their light at the camera overexposing the shot.
I got quite a few pics of the Mastadon artwork which was great before security bundled in and told me to stop taking pictures (they didnt take me away though!)

A question: To any of the people who got pulled out of the crowd... did you get booted out or what?

Top gig - though I prefered Hammersmith on the 14th....
Still no Grudge :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:50 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

That was easily the best gig I have ever been to. I'd never seen Tool live before but it exceeded all expectations. I'd never before been that moved by an opening song.

They're the perfect band - all so good at what they do and I've never experienced a band whose individual roles appear so equally relevant to every song.

The atmosphere just before they played Wings for Marie was incredible - so peaceful. The whole show was amazing.

Would have loved to have heard 4 Degrees/Sober/Jimmy/Pushit, but there's always hope for Thursday.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:55 AM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynard, Danny Carrey - Irish
Adam Jones - Welsh, Justin Chancellor English.

Referring to his bright Orange jacket - "This jacket is NOOT blaaack" in a really great Borat voice.

The show was amazing, seeing Wings for the first time, it must be one of their best acts, on the level of Disposition/Reflection/Triad. Sound was good, at the start however the bass was overdrowned and there seemed to be something wrong with Justins sound, but it got fixed later. This show was much better than the Hammersmith one, way to go!

P.S. no offense to those Mastodon fans, but their act was awful.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:04 AM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralusgonghit View Post
Have to say, I was a bit concerned about the venues for this tour being the big commercial arenas. I mean take a look at the posters around the place for all the pop groups playing there next! The atmosphere was great and I know Tool are bigger now than they have ever been, but I just would have liked them to have kept it down to the usual theatre level.
except then we wouldn't have got the full monty stage show or the pretty lasers.

Quote:
Quite ironic given the amount of "dumb ass belligerent fuckers" there last-night. At the risk of sounding like an elitist twat, the amount of people that had the look of 'a dog being shown a card trick' when the band launched into 'Swamp Song' was priceless.
indeed. there were a few blank faces around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolrockman View Post
just a quick note about mastodon i like this band i think they have bought a fresh dimension to the metal genre however the subtelties and the complexity of their music was totally lost in what can only be described as a truly awful sound mix
maybe it was worse up where you were toolrockman but all i can say is if your thought mastadon's mix was bad, you have not experienced too many support groups at wembley arena! that was nowhere near the worst i have heard.

i was amused by a couple of american guys who wandered in about 10 minutes after mastadon had finished and asked us if mastadon had been on yet. when told yes they have, you've missed them, he looked mightily pissed. i helpfully pointed out that it did say show starts at 7:30pm on the ticket.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 05:19 AM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctangent View Post
i helpfully pointed out that it did say show starts at 7:30pm on the ticket.
I thought that too. And it said doors open at 18:00. I turned up at about 19:15 and there was still a huge queue for the standing area. I queued for another half an hour and then when I got in I was right near the front, although Mastodon had already started playing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 AM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

Oh man, my neck is still sore from all the headbanging etc :D

Second time seeing Tool this year, and the second time I've been right at the front!

After a large amount of anxiety about whether we'd make it to the gig at a decent time due to me bursting a tyre on my car, my oldest friend and I braved the M25 and fortunately ended up at Wembley Arena.
We only had to queue up for an hour and a half, and then we legged it inside and got to the barrier. Fucking awesome :)

What can I say about the show? It blew me away. The sound was brilliant, the visuals were fantastic (loved the green lasers!) and they played the songs I love. Would have loved to hear Pushit after hearing the soundcheck, hopefully they'll play it when they come back next year. Swamp song and The Pot were perfect - two of my favourite Tool songs (aren't they all?)

Some dick next to me kept trying to shove me off the barrier after 3 songs or so, I was not best pleased. Still, even that didn't sully what was quite easily the best night of my life. Roll on next year!

And as for Mastodon, I only knew one song they played, but even that was destroyed by the "wall of sound" they seemed to be going for. Yes it may deafen your audience in a suitably "rockstar" manner, but that's no good if they can't distinguish a guitar solo from the bass playing. Try harder next time ;)

Anyone got any more pictures?
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 05:26 AM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaboy View Post
I thought that too. And it said doors open at 18:00. I turned up at about 19:15 and there was still a huge queue for the standing area. I queued for another half an hour and then when I got in I was right near the front, although Mastodon had already started playing.
me and my brother got there at about 7:00 and there wasn't much queue for standing then. what held the queue up was the goons checking every last thing in your pockets. this tiny little guy made me take one bunch of keys out of one pocket and then found some more 'how many bunches of keys do you have sir?'. like having work, house and car keys on different keyrings is unusual. and yes, in my inside pocket? good god its a wallet! what a surprise. what a fucking kerfuffle.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 AM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
@ lateralusgonghit - I can't say I disagree with anything you said, my sentiments exactly.

I think I was one of the very people in my section to acknowledge Swamp Song, there was a dude 2 seats away singing along to every song like me, but everyone else seemed a bit static.

And yes, the cretins talking through Wings really annoyed me, was a bit hard to sit there and take it all in with people talking/getting up every 5 minutes.

Also, from our seats we saw at least 4 people being dragged out who looked like they'd passed out, a bit worrying...
Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 AM   #37

Might was exceptionable, a true experience.

But £3.50 for just over half a pint?!

What a bank breaker!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemima View Post
Also, from our seats we saw at least 4 people being dragged out who looked like they'd passed out, a bit worrying...
Yeah some girl standing next to my friend (who was next to me) had to be taken out, I think she was on the verge of passing out. I know it's a bit inconsiderate of me, but the only thing I could think of was telling my friend to move into her space immediately, because I couldn't move my elbows at all =/
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 05:49 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

ruled.... swamp song... end
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

well I may as well add some more praise the growing heap. Brilliant show, as usual, wouldnt expect anything less. swamp song!, wings/10,000 days was fucking great, lateralus is always excellent live, and danny is god. Now I really really can't wait for the Paris show, got standing tix for that one so shud be even better....good to see people in N10 seating block last night actually getting into it, WHY and HOW see Tool and not want to rip shit up?
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: