Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 02. Jambi
User Name
Password
Nate-dogg21
04-19-2006, 08:36 PM

What are you guys getting from this song. I havent really looked at it much, but when i did i was having trouble deciphering it.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Interpretation?

What are you guys getting from this song. I havent really looked at it much, but when i did i was having trouble deciphering it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-19-2006, 08:49 PM

its.. powerful, to say the least. i mean it might definately be about his mother... or someone else that they have lost.. it definately continues from vicarious. in vicarious he sets himself up as a greedy/violence enjoying mass of the crowd (eh.. to shorten up the summary) and in this one he admits that although he has all this, hewould give it all away, to prevent losing this "someone". its pretty strong.
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
Re: Interpretation?

its.. powerful, to say the least. i mean it might definately be about his mother... or someone else that they have lost.. it definately continues from vicarious. in vicarious he sets himself up as a greedy/violence enjoying mass of the crowd (eh.. to shorten up the summary) and in this one he admits that although he has all this, hewould give it all away, to prevent losing this "someone". its pretty strong.
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
randomhero8823's Avatar randomhero8823
04-19-2006, 08:58 PM

They werent lying with they said this is thier blues album..... nice work tool!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

They werent lying with they said this is thier blues album..... nice work tool!!!!
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-19-2006, 09:50 PM

i like his continued use of "I"... it definately brings this feel of self centered-ness, and how he feels that its almost his fault that it happened... and thats his actions that could/would prevent it from happening (whatever that "it" is.)
Old 04-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

i like his continued use of "I"... it definately brings this feel of self centered-ness, and how he feels that its almost his fault that it happened... and thats his actions that could/would prevent it from happening (whatever that "it" is.)
munkyman
04-20-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFck
I don't think it's a continuation of Vicarious at all... Vicarious is how you watch too much TV.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFck
I don't think it's a continuation of Vicarious at all... Vicarious is how you watch too much TV.
04-20-2006, 07:04 AM

My impression is that he is lamenting on some of his past actions, how close he may have come to going over the edge through some of the experiences he has had. This song sounds like a thank you to whoever it may be directed at, perhaps his mother or son, repeating how he would wish away everything he has achieved, if it meant he could always have that person with him.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Rav
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

My impression is that he is lamenting on some of his past actions, how close he may have come to going over the edge through some of the experiences he has had. This song sounds like a thank you to whoever it may be directed at, perhaps his mother or son, repeating how he would wish away everything he has achieved, if it meant he could always have that person with him.
Alcawhorlick's Avatar Alcawhorlick
04-20-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav

Well, since the song reminds me a bit of H., and I had heard H. had something to do with mjk's son, initially I'd assume the "you" may be his son.

That is, if the lyrics are actually from mjk's perspective.

If so, I dont really like this song as much. This would be the type of lyrics I was hoping he'd avoid when I read the articles talking about how this album would be more "personal" or whatever. Although I thought that it was Vicarious that would be the song bitching about how horrible it is to be a rockstar and fucks "living vicariously" though him.

This seriously sounds like a goddamn kid rock song, complete with lines about whores, drugs, and apparent references to himself as a "King".
Old 04-20-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav

Well, since the song reminds me a bit of H., and I had heard H. had something to do with mjk's son, initially I'd assume the "you" may be his son.

That is, if the lyrics are actually from mjk's perspective.

If so, I dont really like this song as much. This would be the type of lyrics I was hoping he'd avoid when I read the articles talking about how this album would be more "personal" or whatever. Although I thought that it was Vicarious that would be the song bitching about how horrible it is to be a rockstar and fucks "living vicariously" though him.

This seriously sounds like a goddamn kid rock song, complete with lines about whores, drugs, and apparent references to himself as a "King".
plexus's Avatar plexus
04-20-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcawhorlick
and apparent references to himself as a "King".
just because hes saying that in first person, it doesnt mean hes talking about himself.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcawhorlick
and apparent references to himself as a "King".
just because hes saying that in first person, it doesnt mean hes talking about himself.
Dj Consequence
04-20-2006, 08:44 AM

except kid rock would only wish for more hookers...not to wish them away. And think of how many people on this board consider maynard to be a god...doesn't seem that kid rock to me, honestly.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

except kid rock would only wish for more hookers...not to wish them away. And think of how many people on this board consider maynard to be a god...doesn't seem that kid rock to me, honestly.
abazabaaa
04-20-2006, 09:11 AM

Well based on what I have been reading I see some parallels to current American colonialism. If you read about Jambi and what happened there with the dutch perhaps you will be able to make some comparisons as well.

I know this is my first post so take it easy on me..
Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Well based on what I have been reading I see some parallels to current American colonialism. If you read about Jambi and what happened there with the dutch perhaps you will be able to make some comparisons as well.

Exoskeletal's Avatar Exoskeletal
04-20-2006, 09:17 AM

Shine on benevolent son instead of song or sun? This way it would make a lot of sense if this song is dedicated to his son.
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out." - Timothy Leary

Last edited by Exoskeletal; 04-20-2006 at 09:20 AM..
Old 04-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #11

Bincount™: 16

Shine on benevolent son instead of song or sun? This way it would make a lot of sense if this song is dedicated to his son.
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out." - Timothy Leary

Last edited by Exoskeletal; 04-20-2006 at 09:20 AM..
04-20-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Consequence
Sure, he wouldn't wish them away but might say Maynard might not either.
Shit, I'll trade places with him for a few days. Let me in on some of said Sultain-feasts on treasures and flesh.

Never thought I'd hear a whiny rockstar song from Tool. This album is supposed to be the alternative from the alternative? Shit, we've heard all this many times before.
I'd like to think that its written from someone else's perspective and that I'm interpreting the lyrics all wrong, but it seems to be along the same lines as:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Only-God-Knows-Why-lyrics-Kid-Rock/A15C30780416079C4825689D001E98DA

Only a little less straightforward. and Maynard has "found love!"
Fuckin cheesy, done to death already.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Consequence
Sure, he wouldn't wish them away but might say Maynard might not either.
Shit, I'll trade places with him for a few days. Let me in on some of said Sultain-feasts on treasures and flesh.

Never thought I'd hear a whiny rockstar song from Tool. This album is supposed to be the alternative from the alternative? Shit, we've heard all this many times before.
I'd like to think that its written from someone else's perspective and that I'm interpreting the lyrics all wrong, but it seems to be along the same lines as:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Only-God-Knows-Why-lyrics-Kid-Rock/A15C30780416079C4825689D001E98DA

Only a little less straightforward. and Maynard has "found love!"
Fuckin cheesy, done to death already.
question93
04-20-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abazabaaa

I think you might be onto something there. Another interesting point is that Jambi was also the site of Srivijaya, which was where Vajrayana Buddhism was heavily practiced. And some of the lyrical content has some tantric implications, which this style of Buddhism practices.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:

I think you might be onto something there. Another interesting point is that Jambi was also the site of Srivijaya, which was where Vajrayana Buddhism was heavily practiced. And some of the lyrical content has some tantric implications, which this style of Buddhism practices.
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by question93
Interesting... Where can I read more about this?

"Here from the king's mountain view,
Here from the wild dream come true,
Feast like a sultan I do
On treasures and flesh, never few.

But I, I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day."

I feel the same way living in the US to a good degree.. I think the part about wishing it all away has to do with what actions we take to preserve the current state. Instead of enjoying the moment I think people spend to much time attempting to maintain the status quo...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Feast like a sultan I do

I feel the same way living in the US to a good degree.. I think the part about wishing it all away has to do with what actions we take to preserve the current state. Instead of enjoying the moment I think people spend to much time attempting to maintain the status quo...
question93
04-20-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Feast like a sultan I do

Well, if you look at it more closely, it says "I would wish it all away if I thought I'd lose you just one day." And I think that is more a reference to be seperation from the divine. And you can read more about tantra and Vajrayana Buddhism on Wikipedia! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajrayana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantra

A good book on tantra: Tantra: Path of Ecstacy
Old 04-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:

Feast like a sultan I do

Well, if you look at it more closely, it says "I would wish it all away if I thought I'd lose you just one day." And I think that is more a reference to be seperation from the divine. And you can read more about tantra and Vajrayana Buddhism on Wikipedia! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajrayana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantra

A good book on tantra: Tantra: Path of Ecstacy
Viginti Tres
04-20-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
yea, it's definitely got to do with the dutch colonialization and reunion of the upper and lower river regions of Jambi. I didn't know about the buddhism, but that adds to the mystery that surrounds this song for me
Old 04-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
yea, it's definitely got to do with the dutch colonialization and reunion of the upper and lower river regions of Jambi. I didn't know about the buddhism, but that adds to the mystery that surrounds this song for me
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
also Srivijaya in Sanskrit, sri means 'shining' or 'radiant' and vijaya means victory or excellence.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
also Srivijaya in Sanskrit, sri means 'shining' or 'radiant' and vijaya means victory or excellence.
jhnygsh's Avatar jhnygsh
04-20-2006, 08:30 PM

since he is thankful for being pulled out of darkness in the early part of the song, he seems to ne thanking "light".... shine on benevolent sun... but i do not think he refers to the suns light directly, perhaps to a person that changed him or saved him. really seems like a conceptual continuation of Reflection.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

since he is thankful for being pulled out of darkness in the early part of the song, he seems to ne thanking "light".... shine on benevolent sun... but i do not think he refers to the suns light directly, perhaps to a person that changed him or saved him. really seems like a conceptual continuation of Reflection.
insaner's Avatar insaner
04-20-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnygsh
i think h. actually.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
i think h. actually.
04-21-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner
i think h. actually.

likewise
Old 04-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #20
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner
i think h. actually.

likewise
question93
04-21-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
With the title, it leads me to be more fo a continuation of Reflection. He chose the left hand path, but would give it up at any moment if he thought he'd risk seperation. But at the same time, I think this is about SOMEONE as well.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:29 AM   #21

Quote:
With the title, it leads me to be more fo a continuation of Reflection. He chose the left hand path, but would give it up at any moment if he thought he'd risk seperation. But at the same time, I think this is about SOMEONE as well.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply