opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 12-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #41
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/01 - Nottingham, UK - Nottingham Arena

Shit compared to Wembley but still good.

I enjoyed it, but really wanted to hear Swamp Song again :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

here are some rather good pictures that were taken by a mate of mine at the gig, some excellent laser moments!
http://stashbox.org/6460/tool8.jpg
http://stashbox.org/6461/tool7.jpg
http://stashbox.org/6462/tool6.jpg
Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dwarfo View Post
The highlight of the gig for me went like this: we had been chatting to a pair of the security guard chaps right in front of us. Both nice guys, the elder of which (I guess he was in his forties) questioned us about who we were there to see. He remarked at one point that when you'd seen as many bands as he had, they all meld into one - "none of that crap", he scoffed. At one or two points in the set I noticed he was tapping his hand on the speaker next to him.
Lol i think i saw that dude tapping his hand. i was just to the right of the middle in front of a guard from birmingham...had a very baggy t shirt on. Had to fight off 2 people trying to get my space on the bar and got ass raped on several chorouses. It was my first tool gig, and it was amazing. im really tall so when the lighters went up, i just whipped around and could see everything. Seriously awe inspiring. MORE TOOL!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_116206 View Post
yeah i think thats right. whereabouts were you? i was in line with adam about 6 rows from the front. (standing)
so you quote him after he says don't quote me on that? hahaha
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 AM   #45
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi's_mum View Post
here are some rather good pictures that were taken by a mate of mine at the gig, some excellent laser moments!
nice photos.

sounds like a lot of us were pretty near each other - I was about 3 rows from the front in front of adam.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

I agree with everyone else about Manchester / Nottingham.

Everything just clicked in Nottingham, I got the vibe that the band were really into it. Maynard didn't stop gyrating and was unusually chatty (for him) I thought :)

We were around 2/3 of the way between the stage and the mixing decks (I think I was the only one with a Tool army shirt on - same as Manchester).
The crowd seemed pretty good. I spotted a couple of family groups, dads and sons wearing Tool shirts!

We wished that we had been down the front for Nottingham rather than Manchester... which seemed to be full of gig whores.

No highlights for this show - I loved every minute.

I wasn't too keen on Nottingham, too many pound shops :) Wagamama wasn't bad.

Good venue, I would go there again. We parked in a nearby NCP which stunk of piss. It was pricey but quite handy.

All over now. Sniff...
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 AM   #47
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
I agree with everyone else about Manchester / Nottingham.

Everything just clicked in Nottingham, I got the vibe that the band were really into it. Maynard didn't stop gyrating and was unusually chatty (for him) I thought :)

We were around 2/3 of the way between the stage and the mixing decks (I think I was the only one with a Tool army shirt on - same as Manchester).
The crowd seemed pretty good. I spotted a couple of family groups, dads and sons wearing Tool shirts!

We wished that we had been down the front for Nottingham rather than Manchester... which seemed to be full of gig whores.

No highlights for this show - I loved every minute.

I wasn't too keen on Nottingham, too many pound shops :) Wagamama wasn't bad.

Good venue, I would go there again. We parked in a nearby NCP which stunk of piss. It was pricey but quite handy.

All over now. Sniff...
I felt strangely emotional after the gig. I think it was the best one for me, a crowning glory over all the other UK gigs. something about the venue gave the lighting a weird sort of extra dimension, it was just more beautiful than I have ever seen in.

monday morning and I'm back at work, and feeling quite miserable. must keep these threads alive for a bit longer to reminisce.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-04-2006, 03:55 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

The general consensus on here is that Nottingham was better than Manchester and for me, that is absolute.

Maybe it's because I was on the floor rather than seated stage left, maybe it was because I could get the full effect of the lightshow, maybe it was because I could hear everything perfectly, but I like to think it's because of that magician Carey. So many fills/beats were a little different tonight, even from the Manchester show, I really was in dreamland.

There was no issue with security, they all seemed to be much nicer people than in Manchester and willing to help rather than harm.

For me the highlights were Rosetta Stoned (the visuals really hit home on this one) and of course wings/10000days. I am not ashamed to admit that for the first time ever, I cried at a gig. The whole build up and then the "you're going hoooooommmme" just made me well up all inside. Tool's music has always had a profound effect on me but for this song, it is just a whole new level. Still haven't really recovered from that moment.

So what else can I say apart from thank you Tool, for the most uplifting experience of my life so far, all delivered impeccably, the week before I turn 30. You guys rule, peace out
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-04-2006, 04:28 AM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

Glasgow in June was 2nd for me.

When we were waiting to get in a security guard was giving a few girls some hassle about their backpacks. I thought "Shit, more Nazis". But then he said if there was any problem with the bags he could get them stored until after the show. They were really helpful in the end...

I even got a "Thank you" after my padding down!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-04-2006, 04:59 AM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

This was my second Tool gig this year, first being Download. Being 55 years old I have seen some live shows that include Led Zepellin, Jimi Hendrix and Deep Purple.
This gig was way better. Why? Energy, emotion, sound and the best musicianship I can remember for a loooooong time.

This gig had it all. No complaints at all, and you have to respect everyone's way of enjoyment.

Also a big thanks to the Venue management, absolutely spot on and thanks to the crowd, very appreciative, knowledgeable and polite, a lesson to some others.

I'm sure that Nottingham Arena will welcome TOOL back "any fucking time, any fucking day", I can't wait - may have to go at the Big Day Out at Surfers Paradise next year.

Lozza
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-04-2006, 07:49 AM   #51
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo_walkero View Post

yeah it was REALLY shit wasnt it!?!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo_walkero View Post

I guess you were the Chav calling out for Margaret then! Get real Man all TOOL concerts are great, some greater than others.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #53
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

i agree. i saw tool in dublin too and i have to say i preferred that show. only because of the home crowd tho. nottingham was great too but security were assholes
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #54
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

I was really dissapointed with Mastodon, Blood Mountain was one of my fave albums this year, but it never really translated live that well. Nm
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #55
Level 2 - Poster

Did anyone listen to Danny on Radio 1 Monday/Tuesday?

Played some great stuff by Isis, Genesis (Phil Collins) and Mahavishnu Orchestra (Billy Cobham) plus Mastedon. His heroes were my heroes, drummers like John Bonham from Led Zep, an amazing drummer live, and of course Billy Cobham.

Looks like TOOL will be at Reading Festival next Summer according to Danny, plus a few other selected gigs. Proof positive that we all get what we deserve!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #56
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi's_mum View Post
Awesome pictures, I've been waiting for something like this to adourne my desktop:

http://www.falhamproperties.co.uk/images/snapshot2.jpg

Last edited by xeonman9000; 12-06-2006 at 01:28 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: