Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
InstrumentalGuitarist
08-18-2015, 07:43 PM

I was inspired after seeing kids cover "46 & 2." I decided to cover "Sober," since its intro is so dark and well done. My cover has lots of original material. The song is 8:46. I hope you guys like it. If you do like it, please click the "like" button. Thanks in advance. I hope to talk with all of you after I post this message!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
I made an instrumental guitar cover/tribute of "Sober"

I was inspired after seeing kids cover "46 & 2." I decided to cover "Sober," since its intro is so dark and well done. My cover has lots of original material. The song is 8:46. I hope you guys like it. If you do like it, please click the "like" button. Thanks in advance. I hope to talk with all of you after I post this message!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
08-18-2015, 07:47 PM

The best part was where you didn't post the link!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619
Re: I made an instrumental guitar cover/tribute of "Sober"

08-18-2015, 08:19 PM

Sorry. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELh8xHiH_Dk

Please, let me know what you guys think. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Sorry. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELh8xHiH_Dk

Please, let me know what you guys think. Thank you!
InstrumentalGuitarist
08-19-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
What do you think?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
What do you think?
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
08-19-2015, 06:01 PM

Gonna need some acid to make it all the way through the song. Hold on....Calling a guy, who heard of a guy who knows a guy. I hope guy is around.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Gonna need some acid to make it all the way through the song. Hold on....Calling a guy, who heard of a guy who knows a guy. I hope guy is around.
SpiralOut34's Avatar SpiralOut34
08-19-2015, 10:24 PM

1. Metronomes are around for a reason!
2. This is not what I would call a cover--these are somewhat related original riffs tied loosely together with pieces of Sober. Even then, having written the riffs yourself and finding a similar color or texture in them (you mentioned the dark quality of Forty Six & 2) does not mean that they necessarily flow together or belong together in a single piece, certainly not sewn together by something entirely unrelated. Sober is a complete piece with a flow to it which you've pulled apart, put in odd order, and used to bring together your own riffs.
3. Are you actually playing all the instruments in this and perhaps recording them line in, or using a digital mimic of an electric guitar sound?
4. It sounds like at some points you're using an octave pedal where the tracking is a bit shot.

I'm not saying these things to discourage you from creating music, or soundscapes, or whatever it is that you'd like to do. I would definitely encourage you to really develop what you're recording so it is polished by the time you go to record. I would also encourage you to step back and consider why it is you might feel more comfortable tying these riffs together with a piece from someone else--do they lack flow alone? In my opinion, if you find two pieces don't fit together, it means going back to the drawing board--using the work of others to build off of can be delicate. Inspiration is very different from lifting riffs (see Tool making a nod to King Crimson, or Primus doing the same.) and I would recommend you examine whether or not you taking inspiration from an artist, or using their work for your own benefit.

A personal example of creating something sort of in the spirit of another artist (Adam Jones in the introduction to Lateralus, for example, Robert Fripp in Discipline, perhaps Alex Lifeson in La Villa Strangiato, though I had never heard La Villa Strangiatio at the time of writing this) without taking their work can be heard here. You are harming yourself as an artist and selling yourself short by leaning on the creations of others--you have to step out, put yourself out there, and have faith in the independence of your own creations.

I hope that you will take this as constructive criticism, because I sincerely mean it as such. Don't ever stop trying to create art or music. Just step back at times and examine how you are going about it, whether that is your own work or built off of someone else's, and go about it in a different way if you find you are holding too tightly to the work of others.
Take care.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016

Last edited by SpiralOut34; 08-19-2015 at 10:27 PM..
Old 08-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

1. Metronomes are around for a reason!
2. This is not what I would call a cover--these are somewhat related original riffs tied loosely together with pieces of Sober. Even then, having written the riffs yourself and finding a similar color or texture in them (you mentioned the dark quality of Forty Six & 2) does not mean that they necessarily flow together or belong together in a single piece, certainly not sewn together by something entirely unrelated. Sober is a complete piece with a flow to it which you've pulled apart, put in odd order, and used to bring together your own riffs.
3. Are you actually playing all the instruments in this and perhaps recording them line in, or using a digital mimic of an electric guitar sound?
4. It sounds like at some points you're using an octave pedal where the tracking is a bit shot.

I'm not saying these things to discourage you from creating music, or soundscapes, or whatever it is that you'd like to do. I would definitely encourage you to really develop what you're recording so it is polished by the time you go to record. I would also encourage you to step back and consider why it is you might feel more comfortable tying these riffs together with a piece from someone else--do they lack flow alone? In my opinion, if you find two pieces don't fit together, it means going back to the drawing board--using the work of others to build off of can be delicate. Inspiration is very different from lifting riffs (see Tool making a nod to King Crimson, or Primus doing the same.) and I would recommend you examine whether or not you taking inspiration from an artist, or using their work for your own benefit.

A personal example of creating something sort of in the spirit of another artist (Adam Jones in the introduction to Lateralus, for example, Robert Fripp in Discipline, perhaps Alex Lifeson in La Villa Strangiato, though I had never heard La Villa Strangiatio at the time of writing this) without taking their work can be heard here. You are harming yourself as an artist and selling yourself short by leaning on the creations of others--you have to step out, put yourself out there, and have faith in the independence of your own creations.

I hope that you will take this as constructive criticism, because I sincerely mean it as such. Don't ever stop trying to create art or music. Just step back at times and examine how you are going about it, whether that is your own work or built off of someone else's, and go about it in a different way if you find you are holding too tightly to the work of others.
Take care.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016

Last edited by SpiralOut34; 08-19-2015 at 10:27 PM..
InstrumentalGuitarist
08-20-2015, 11:00 AM

Thank you for writing your comments, especially SpiralOut34. I used the intro from Sober, since it is awesome. It is hard to find a better intro with such a good main riff. I am an instrumental guitarist. I write these types of song chronically. I have wrote one album when I was 18 and 19. Then, I wrote three new songs for my new album, Disintegration. I will probably write more in the future.

Spiral, are you a guitarist? I think you might be Adam Jones and angry that I took his intro.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Thank you for writing your comments, especially SpiralOut34. I used the intro from Sober, since it is awesome. It is hard to find a better intro with such a good main riff. I am an instrumental guitarist. I write these types of song chronically. I have wrote one album when I was 18 and 19. Then, I wrote three new songs for my new album, Disintegration. I will probably write more in the future.

Spiral, are you a guitarist? I think you might be Adam Jones and angry that I took his intro.
SpiralOut34's Avatar SpiralOut34
08-20-2015, 11:57 AM

I am a guitarist! I'm not Adam Jones, no, but I have met him--he's down to earth, and an incredibly nice, humble guy. I agree with you, Tool's music is awesome! Believe me, I have been deeply interested in the band and playing their music for a very long time now.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

I am a guitarist! I'm not Adam Jones, no, but I have met him--he's down to earth, and an incredibly nice, humble guy. I agree with you, Tool's music is awesome! Believe me, I have been deeply interested in the band and playing their music for a very long time now.

InstrumentalGuitarist
08-20-2015, 12:24 PM

I found my old metronome. I hope it works.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

I found my old metronome. I hope it works.
InstrumentalGuitarist
08-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Oh, I used a JCM900 into a Scarlett Solo that went into my computer. I used a Whammy DT to drop and raise notes.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Oh, I used a JCM900 into a Scarlett Solo that went into my computer. I used a Whammy DT to drop and raise notes.
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
08-20-2015, 02:48 PM

80% of the people that post on this forum are in a band. tbh, It takes a lot to get noticed. Just keep plugging away. Write your own songs and post those imo.

I'm not in a band, but I manage one.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Up From The Skies

80% of the people that post on this forum are in a band. tbh, It takes a lot to get noticed. Just keep plugging away. Write your own songs and post those imo.

I'm not in a band, but I manage one.
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
08-30-2015, 06:35 PM

Hey, I see you live in Niles. I lived there for a brief time. Also lived in Des Plaines for a while. Chi-Burbs represent!

I'm out in McHenry right meow.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
Up From The Skies

Hey, I see you live in Niles. I lived there for a brief time. Also lived in Des Plaines for a while. Chi-Burbs represent!

I'm out in McHenry right meow.
InstrumentalGuitarist
09-07-2015, 07:22 AM

I redid the intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NG70Yx-XN4

Cool. That one scammer who wrote books on obesity and health recorded something in Niles. I was shocked to read about it.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

I redid the intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NG70Yx-XN4

Cool. That one scammer who wrote books on obesity and health recorded something in Niles. I was shocked to read about it.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply