Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
NoD
04-23-2006, 07:55 PM

It's annoying when people say the ones who don't like this album as much as the last 2 are the ones who jumped aboard during the Lateralus album and this is more like Aenema. NO IT'S NOT. Aenima was dark as fuck, but also unbelievably sharp, intelligent, and metaphorical. It made you THINK, instead of Maynard just telling you. Don't get me wrong, I really, really like 10,000 Days (Wings for Marie Pts 1 & 2 is the greatest song ever recorded in history), but the emotional impact is lacking throught the rest of the album.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
NoD
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1239
Stop comparing this album to Aenima

It's annoying when people say the ones who don't like this album as much as the last 2 are the ones who jumped aboard during the Lateralus album and this is more like Aenema. NO IT'S NOT. Aenima was dark as fuck, but also unbelievably sharp, intelligent, and metaphorical. It made you THINK, instead of Maynard just telling you. Don't get me wrong, I really, really like 10,000 Days (Wings for Marie Pts 1 & 2 is the greatest song ever recorded in history), but the emotional impact is lacking throught the rest of the album.
OFFLINE |  
fault's Avatar fault
04-23-2006, 07:57 PM

Right on. Aenima and Lateralus are both equally brilliant masterpieces. People need not compare 10KD to Tool's previous works but judge it on its own merit. Which for me is sadly lacking.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18
Re: Stop comparing this album to Aenima

Right on. Aenima and Lateralus are both equally brilliant masterpieces. People need not compare 10KD to Tool's previous works but judge it on its own merit. Which for me is sadly lacking.
04-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Agreed. There is no "stinkfist 2" or "pushit 2".

If there was a stinkfist 2, do you think they would edit it and call it "Track 2?"

I'd shoot my kneecaps.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Agreed. There is no "stinkfist 2" or "pushit 2".

If there was a stinkfist 2, do you think they would edit it and call it "Track 2?"

I'd shoot my kneecaps.
04-23-2006, 08:01 PM

that'll hurt.
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Old 04-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

that'll hurt.
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
OFFLINE |  
psims23
04-23-2006, 08:03 PM

I think this album is absotely more similar to Aenima than Lateralus.. there are many parallels beteen the two. What's not dark about 10k Days? Every song is cynical to some extent.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

I think this album is absotely more similar to Aenima than Lateralus.. there are many parallels beteen the two. What's not dark about 10k Days? Every song is cynical to some extent.
OFFLINE |  
NoD
04-23-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Hmmm, not quite agreeing here. Yes, Aenima was dark, but there is also a Dark undertone in some 10,000 Days song.

Aenima had sarcasm & irony. 10,000 Days has also sarcasm & irony.
It's not about the subject matter but about the delivery. Just because 2 movies both have sex and violence doesn't mean they're as good as eachother. WfM/10kd is the only material greater than the best songs of Aenima (LK/RS might have a chance as well). I mean stinkfist, eulogy, H., 46&2, Pushit, Aenema, Third Eye are all so fucking powerful on their own merits.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
NoD
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Hmmm, not quite agreeing here. Yes, Aenima was dark, but there is also a Dark undertone in some 10,000 Days song.

Aenima had sarcasm & irony. 10,000 Days has also sarcasm & irony.
It's not about the subject matter but about the delivery. Just because 2 movies both have sex and violence doesn't mean they're as good as eachother. WfM/10kd is the only material greater than the best songs of Aenima (LK/RS might have a chance as well). I mean stinkfist, eulogy, H., 46&2, Pushit, Aenema, Third Eye are all so fucking powerful on their own merits.
OFFLINE |  
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
04-23-2006, 08:07 PM

The reason for the comparison in my opinion is that 10,000 days has a very organic sound, just like Aenima as opposed to Lateralus, which was very mechanical.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

The reason for the comparison in my opinion is that 10,000 days has a very organic sound, just like Aenima as opposed to Lateralus, which was very mechanical.
OFFLINE |  
xzerion
04-23-2006, 08:32 PM

There's a reason people compare it. A lot of it is the same.

10,000 days is like a trip through Tool's trashcan, digging out all of the old stuff and knitting a diaper with it.

He should have worn it when he shit the bed.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

There's a reason people compare it. A lot of it is the same.

10,000 days is like a trip through Tool's trashcan, digging out all of the old stuff and knitting a diaper with it.

He should have worn it when he shit the bed.
OFFLINE |  
jef_hop
04-23-2006, 08:39 PM

i really feel like this is the album that could have been expected after aenima, instead of lateralus. not that it's similar, but because it seems like a logical evolution. lateralus is the one that came out of nowhere.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

i really feel like this is the album that could have been expected after aenima, instead of lateralus. not that it's similar, but because it seems like a logical evolution. lateralus is the one that came out of nowhere.
OFFLINE |  
tomhet
04-23-2006, 08:48 PM

NoD, I'm with you, man. I agree %100. I think (I fervently hope) 10K days will be followed by another, greater, new album. I mean, we waited 5 years and we hear hardly anything new. Either that or they'll split after this. 10 K days (the song) is good, though.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

NoD, I'm with you, man. I agree %100. I think (I fervently hope) 10K days will be followed by another, greater, new album. I mean, we waited 5 years and we hear hardly anything new. Either that or they'll split after this. 10 K days (the song) is good, though.
OFFLINE |  
cosplusisin
04-23-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef_hop
I agree 100%

I won't bother trying to say it in my own words. You're absolutely right.

Not that it's a bad thing at all. It's awesome.

edit: wow I totally copied the previous post's wording. I wonder if that was subliminal, or if it was a coincidence. You know, I don't think that post was even there when I started writing this one... weird. Anyway... just thought i'd mention it.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef_hop
I agree 100%

I won't bother trying to say it in my own words. You're absolutely right.

Not that it's a bad thing at all. It's awesome.

edit: wow I totally copied the previous post's wording. I wonder if that was subliminal, or if it was a coincidence. You know, I don't think that post was even there when I started writing this one... weird. Anyway... just thought i'd mention it.
OFFLINE |  
Window Licker
04-23-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD
(Wings for Marie Pts 1 & 2 is the greatest song ever recorded in history)
Holy hyperbole, Batman!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD
(Wings for Marie Pts 1 & 2 is the greatest song ever recorded in history)
Holy hyperbole, Batman!
OFFLINE |  
sullytool
04-23-2006, 09:01 PM

this album does not belong in the same catagory as Aenima or Laterelus, period!
It's a solid album at best, and not even close in quality to the last two brilliant albums. I might set the bar high for tool, but that is because I have come to expect that "kick in the ass" feeling when i hear a tool song. I feel that climax in a Aenima song or the song Laterelus, and it's a great feeling! I just don't get that with 10,000 days. If tool really did have 10 - 12 tracks left over from the laterelus sessions, then they should have stuck those on a album and made laterelus II because I can almost gauruntee it would have knocked my socks off, instead of feeling a sense of mediocrity.

Don't take it the wrong way, I do like 10,000 days, and it has it's moments, but just not enough to justify comparing it to the previous two albums. I for one can't understand how laterelus had to "grow" on some people. I waited at a midnite release for laterelus, and I was blown away! I don't think I got alot of sleep that night. I don't believe this album will make me lose any sleep.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

this album does not belong in the same catagory as Aenima or Laterelus, period!
It's a solid album at best, and not even close in quality to the last two brilliant albums. I might set the bar high for tool, but that is because I have come to expect that "kick in the ass" feeling when i hear a tool song. I feel that climax in a Aenima song or the song Laterelus, and it's a great feeling! I just don't get that with 10,000 days. If tool really did have 10 - 12 tracks left over from the laterelus sessions, then they should have stuck those on a album and made laterelus II because I can almost gauruntee it would have knocked my socks off, instead of feeling a sense of mediocrity.

Don't take it the wrong way, I do like 10,000 days, and it has it's moments, but just not enough to justify comparing it to the previous two albums. I for one can't understand how laterelus had to "grow" on some people. I waited at a midnite release for laterelus, and I was blown away! I don't think I got alot of sleep that night. I don't believe this album will make me lose any sleep.
OFFLINE |  
ethos
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM

My response: no
Old 04-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

My response: no
OFFLINE |  
selfimportanttoolfan
04-23-2006, 09:14 PM

the difference between Aenima and 10,000 Days is that Aenima was a great album while this one is simply decent.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

the difference between Aenima and 10,000 Days is that Aenima was a great album while this one is simply decent.
04-23-2006, 09:23 PM

well I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't comment on that. However, I do sense that we'll see a new Tool album in shorter time then the last one. I think maybe...2009.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 144

well I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't comment on that. However, I do sense that we'll see a new Tool album in shorter time then the last one. I think maybe...2009.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply