Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
R.F.'s Avatar R.F.
02-14-2008, 07:26 AM

TOOL frontman Maynard James Keenan has told MTV.com that the band will soon be reconvening to start kicking around song ideas for the group's fifth studio album.

"We're going to start writing the new TOOL record right away," he said.

Keenan didn't say when he expected the band to start tracking the effort, when it might be ready for release or what it might sound like. But with TOOL's touring schedule wide open for the foreseeable future, he said it's time for the band to buckle down. He also elaborated on TOOL's creative process.

"The music always comes first," Keenan said. "We all get in a room, shut out all the extra noises from the other people and what goes on outside the room and just focus on the four of us, where we are that day. And then we just start making sounds."

TOOL has been nominated for several Grammy Awards over the years, and they've even won three: "Best Metal Performance" in 1997 and 2001; and "Best Recording Package" in 2006 for their most recent LP, "10,000 Days". This year, TOOL was up for "Best Hard Rock Performance" again, for the "10,000 Days" track "The Pot", but they lost the award to the FOO FIGHTERS.

Read more of the interview and article at MTV.com.
Link: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/158...213/id_0.jhtml
Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
TOOL To Start Writing New Album 'Right Away'

TOOL frontman Maynard James Keenan has told MTV.com that the band will soon be reconvening to start kicking around song ideas for the group's fifth studio album.

Keenan didn't say when he expected the band to start tracking the effort, when it might be ready for release or what it might sound like. But with TOOL's touring schedule wide open for the foreseeable future, he said it's time for the band to buckle down. He also elaborated on TOOL's creative process.

"The music always comes first," Keenan said. "We all get in a room, shut out all the extra noises from the other people and what goes on outside the room and just focus on the four of us, where we are that day. And then we just start making sounds."

TOOL has been nominated for several Grammy Awards over the years, and they've even won three: "Best Metal Performance" in 1997 and 2001; and "Best Recording Package" in 2006 for their most recent LP, "10,000 Days". This year, TOOL was up for "Best Hard Rock Performance" again, for the "10,000 Days" track "The Pot", but they lost the award to the FOO FIGHTERS.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Aganar
02-14-2008, 08:28 AM

Maybe they'll be like Radiohead and we can get some of the working versions of songs performed live for a few years before they finally combine it all into an album.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: TOOL To Start Writing New Album 'Right Away'

Maybe they'll be like Radiohead and we can get some of the working versions of songs performed live for a few years before they finally combine it all into an album.
wix3l's Avatar wix3l
02-14-2008, 09:17 AM

get ready for 20,000 Days my friends

i mean thats how long we'll have to wait before we see it anyways
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
02-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wix3l View Post

haha true... but still good news! I am not as let down by this post as I thought I would be.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wix3l View Post

haha true... but still good news! I am not as let down by this post as I thought I would be.
02-14-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
Why would you be let down?? It's a good thing, not a bad thing. Yes, we will have to wait at the very least two years for a new record, but the good news is they are writing for one more, and it may be their last and, possibly, their culminating record that blows us all away.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Why would you be let down?? It's a good thing, not a bad thing. Yes, we will have to wait at the very least two years for a new record, but the good news is they are writing for one more, and it may be their last and, possibly, their culminating record that blows us all away.
SpiralReflection
02-14-2008, 02:01 PM

If it is the top priority for all 4 members, and they're starting soon, summer 2009 seems reasonable
Old 02-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

If it is the top priority for all 4 members, and they're starting soon, summer 2009 seems reasonable
Ravenpig
02-14-2008, 07:10 PM

Blair just posted a newsletter saying that the guys were pretty much all doing their own thing right now...but I guess I'd believe Maynard before him...I think
Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Blair just posted a newsletter saying that the guys were pretty much all doing their own thing right now...but I guess I'd believe Maynard before him...I think
5th Eye's Avatar 5th Eye
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM

the TRUE album

teleincision
Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

the TRUE album

teleincision
02-14-2008, 07:25 PM

great news.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

great news.
R.F.'s Avatar R.F.
02-15-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by put_away_the_dagger View Post
here we go again...... tell me you're not hyping this album already. people like you ruined 10,000 days for me in certain ways

Just think about it. Tool isn't a band like, say, Metallica, who are so far past their prime it isn't even funny. They keep putting out records and writing songs, but so far they haven't impressed anyone.

Tool should be smarter and think about how they want to end their career. They know they need to step it up because of the public criticism they received from 10,000 Days.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
here we go again...... tell me you're not hyping this album already. people like you ruined 10,000 days for me in certain ways

Just think about it. Tool isn't a band like, say, Metallica, who are so far past their prime it isn't even funny. They keep putting out records and writing songs, but so far they haven't impressed anyone.

Tool should be smarter and think about how they want to end their career. They know they need to step it up because of the public criticism they received from 10,000 Days.
the white's Avatar the white
02-15-2008, 05:16 AM

I think they've impressed people, alot. what public critcism for 10000 days? why the hell would they want to think about how they are going to end their career? that post should be in your Bincount.

Last edited by the white; 02-15-2008 at 05:18 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I think they've impressed people, alot. what public critcism for 10000 days? why the hell would they want to think about how they are going to end their career? that post should be in your Bincount.

Last edited by the white; 02-15-2008 at 05:18 AM..
valhalla
02-15-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Cool!

I wonder if they can top 10,000 Days.

A new Masterpiece like Ænima or 10,000 Days would be grand.
Aenima? I AGREE!

10,000 Days??

(crickets)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Cool!

I wonder if they can top 10,000 Days.

A new Masterpiece like Ænima or 10,000 Days would be grand.
Aenima? I AGREE!

10,000 Days??

(crickets)
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
02-15-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
<wipes a tear> Here, here's a tissue sissie
Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
<wipes a tear> Here, here's a tissue sissie
02-15-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. View Post

That's awesome, I wonder if there's a video clip somewhere of his "red carpet" interview.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

That's awesome, I wonder if there's a video clip somewhere of his "red carpet" interview.
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovico View Post
i'm going to have to disagree with you here. i enjoy 10k days but i would not categorize it as a masterpiece. there are a few songs on there that are really good, but in my opinion it is not a masterpiece.
Yeah, 10,000 days was full of mediocre moments. Masterpiece? far from it.

Quote:
aenima on the other hand.........best album ever. i don't think they will ever top that.
I'll agree with that. Also your avatar is lovely and Portishead is awesome. :) new album in April!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovico View Post
i'm going to have to disagree with you here. i enjoy 10k days but i would not categorize it as a masterpiece. there are a few songs on there that are really good, but in my opinion it is not a masterpiece.

Quote:
aenima on the other hand.........best album ever. i don't think they will ever top that.
I'll agree with that. Also your avatar is lovely and Portishead is awesome. :) new album in April!!!
StoneyB's Avatar StoneyB
02-15-2008, 02:30 PM

Something tells me that their new album will probably be somewhat similar to 10,000 days. I'm not sure that this will be their last album. They all seem passionate enough to go on for a while.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Something tells me that their new album will probably be somewhat similar to 10,000 days. I'm not sure that this will be their last album. They all seem passionate enough to go on for a while.
R.F.'s Avatar R.F.
02-15-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white
- It's just my opinion that the Tool band have been creating and recording and producing records and live shows for 17 years now. I know they've had years of separation between album releases, but still, that's along time. I feel they may have one or two albums left in them, mentally and emotionally. Also, they have 1 record left on the label (that they own) they have a contract for, so I think they might fulfill that and take a long break or even call it quits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
i think they did top that with Lateralus.
- I agree here. Lateralus is my favorite CD personally, with the sounds and quirks that make up Tool's records.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white
- It's just my opinion that the Tool band have been creating and recording and producing records and live shows for 17 years now. I know they've had years of separation between album releases, but still, that's along time. I feel they may have one or two albums left in them, mentally and emotionally. Also, they have 1 record left on the label (that they own) they have a contract for, so I think they might fulfill that and take a long break or even call it quits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
i think they did top that with Lateralus.
- I agree here. Lateralus is my favorite CD personally, with the sounds and quirks that make up Tool's records.
Cheesegreater
02-15-2008, 03:29 PM

I agree that Lateralus was their masterpiece, a true concept of sonic gold.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

I agree that Lateralus was their masterpiece, a true concept of sonic gold.
Schema's Avatar Schema
02-15-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody View Post
10KD was, in all honesty, a pile of piss after Lateralus, even though I had trouble getting into it. About the only reason I still like 10KD is because of it's not-all-that-holy trinity of singles and because it was the first Tool album I heard (which is kinda sad)

Quote:
AEnima is a god among titans, suffice to say. AEnima is every bit the musical masterwork that Zappa's LPs like Freat Out and One Size Fits All were. Lateralus is a workhorse-god of manipulation, but I'd still say AEnima tops it.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336

Quote:
10KD was, in all honesty, a pile of piss after Lateralus, even though I had trouble getting into it. About the only reason I still like 10KD is because of it's not-all-that-holy trinity of singles and because it was the first Tool album I heard (which is kinda sad)

Quote:
AEnima is a god among titans, suffice to say. AEnima is every bit the musical masterwork that Zappa's LPs like Freat Out and One Size Fits All were. Lateralus is a workhorse-god of manipulation, but I'd still say AEnima tops it.
02-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schema View Post
I agree. Lateralus was a great album but to be followed by 10,000 Days was just a big disappointment. It was predictable. Not to mention that we had to wait 5 years for it. 5 years for that? That's the biggest reason why so many people were upset. When you take that long to release an album everyone expects you to completely change your sound and release a masterpiece.

Quote:
Aenima was just something very different and unique for the time that it was released in. It was refreshing and hard to define. A true masterpiece.

Lateralus was a near masterpiece I guess. They became a much more mature band. It was the next logical step in their progression but it was so blatantly prog rock and It just wasn't groundbreaking like Aenima was.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
I agree. Lateralus was a great album but to be followed by 10,000 Days was just a big disappointment. It was predictable. Not to mention that we had to wait 5 years for it. 5 years for that? That's the biggest reason why so many people were upset. When you take that long to release an album everyone expects you to completely change your sound and release a masterpiece.

Quote:
Aenima was just something very different and unique for the time that it was released in. It was refreshing and hard to define. A true masterpiece.

Lateralus was a near masterpiece I guess. They became a much more mature band. It was the next logical step in their progression but it was so blatantly prog rock and It just wasn't groundbreaking like Aenima was.
Schema's Avatar Schema
02-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I think so. 10KD is clearly a step down from Lateralus - but visually just as striking as previous albums. At least I'm glad I only spend about $10 on 10KD - it's worth a tenner, but - unless there's a damn great-looking vinyl out there - I don't think I'd be willing to slap much more down.

Quote:

In some ways I regard AEnima as being the very opposite of Bottrill's previous musical project, THRAK. THRAK was crushingly dense and, in most cases, lyrically, was just too bright; AEnima, by comparison, is sparsely-arranged, bold, and mostly consumed by forcefulness.

Lateralus is clearly so blatantly prog-rock, but it seems to me that, in songs like Schism, they're able to work just a few sounds, which leads me to compare it in some respects to the production of Midnight Oil's 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - it happened already a decade and a half ago (double it for Lateralus) and, while it's impressive and seems fresh in today's world where such has been mostly abandoned, at heart it's a revival of ancient traditions - which, mind, isn't disagreeable.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Yeah. I think so. 10KD is clearly a step down from Lateralus - but visually just as striking as previous albums. At least I'm glad I only spend about $10 on 10KD - it's worth a tenner, but - unless there's a damn great-looking vinyl out there - I don't think I'd be willing to slap much more down.

Quote:

In some ways I regard AEnima as being the very opposite of Bottrill's previous musical project, THRAK. THRAK was crushingly dense and, in most cases, lyrically, was just too bright; AEnima, by comparison, is sparsely-arranged, bold, and mostly consumed by forcefulness.

Lateralus is clearly so blatantly prog-rock, but it seems to me that, in songs like Schism, they're able to work just a few sounds, which leads me to compare it in some respects to the production of Midnight Oil's 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - it happened already a decade and a half ago (double it for Lateralus) and, while it's impressive and seems fresh in today's world where such has been mostly abandoned, at heart it's a revival of ancient traditions - which, mind, isn't disagreeable.
02-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
All I meant, is that posts with headlines like these: "TOOL To Start Righting New Album 'Right Away'", are on first read, usually started by trolls, contain no relevant information to Tool, start out with cursing or playing word games or flaming "noobs", and are a typical device to increase post counts (or bin counts), and therefore a complete waste of time for all of us.

This one was real, genuine, accurate, and positive information.

I see alot of panning of 10,000 Days, and of course everybody has a right to their opinion. I will say in it's defense, and from an honest objective artistic perspective - it is, at the very least, a viable and meaningful experiment in rhythm. They were doing something new here. It may not have been what everybody was used to, and expected and wanted after Lateralus. But mainly, I see it as an attempt by the band to let us know they are down to earth humans just like us and will do things artistically the way they want and desire, capable of mistakes, fully esoteric sonic meanderings, and at the very least a clearer insight into their sense of humor. And concept wise, in my opinion, it is a very clever illustration and presentation of dualism, or duality; how influencial and important that concept has been and will remain to be to us. I see it as an evolution of the band (maybe not in the direction that alot of people wanted them to evolve), but nevertheless an evolution.

Aenema and Lateralus are more serious, and angrier, higher in intensity. And therefore, maybe easier to take seriously. And did remain close enough in formula to appeal to the average Tool fan (not to be insulting and call any of you guys "the average Tool fan"). But I also agree with a few of you, in that alot of the sound is a result of the producers. I would like to see Botrill again, but it seems like Bareissi (sp?), has become part of their family, and is probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

I am looking forward to hearing the samples Danny is collecting from the Hawaiian rainforests for his mandala pads, on the new album. And I hate to say it, but I sincerely think Maynard is beginning to lose his voice, and he is aware of this - so feeling a sense of urgency, no doubt. I mean give the guy a break, how long can you scream (while remaining harmonius, and melodius)like him without losing your voice? (20 years, I don't think so haha?). Adam has been so continually busy, he's got to be burning out (that's probably part of why he looks haggard like he does). The guy is a genious, I think. And Justin started to fingerpick (Wings 1 & 2), and got pretty damn good at it pretty fast, so I cant wait to hear more of that.

I think they have finally realized, given all the press, reviews, and CASH (which is the grandest Tool of them all, in America at least), that Tool is their baby, and their bread and butter. It is their home... and home is where the heart is. All the side projects have been great, but still mediocre comparatively. They are not getting any younger, and the time has come, for them to start at least formulating an ending to this grand adventure. Just like the ending to Parabola; "it's just got to be right". And the time is near...

Anyway, we are aswim in a sea of words, my friends. Sometimes I'm not sure what to think anymore.

This band has had a good run. No tragic overdoses, or irreconcilable differences, or Britney Spears media fiascos. Inspired millions of kids (and adults) towards benevolence. Lived the American dream, even in an industry that is falling apart at the seams. What more could anyone ask out of these guys. I will be happy with one more, personally, and regardless of how, and when.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
All I meant, is that posts with headlines like these: "TOOL To Start Righting New Album 'Right Away'", are on first read, usually started by trolls, contain no relevant information to Tool, start out with cursing or playing word games or flaming "noobs", and are a typical device to increase post counts (or bin counts), and therefore a complete waste of time for all of us.

This one was real, genuine, accurate, and positive information.

I see alot of panning of 10,000 Days, and of course everybody has a right to their opinion. I will say in it's defense, and from an honest objective artistic perspective - it is, at the very least, a viable and meaningful experiment in rhythm. They were doing something new here. It may not have been what everybody was used to, and expected and wanted after Lateralus. But mainly, I see it as an attempt by the band to let us know they are down to earth humans just like us and will do things artistically the way they want and desire, capable of mistakes, fully esoteric sonic meanderings, and at the very least a clearer insight into their sense of humor. And concept wise, in my opinion, it is a very clever illustration and presentation of dualism, or duality; how influencial and important that concept has been and will remain to be to us. I see it as an evolution of the band (maybe not in the direction that alot of people wanted them to evolve), but nevertheless an evolution.

Aenema and Lateralus are more serious, and angrier, higher in intensity. And therefore, maybe easier to take seriously. And did remain close enough in formula to appeal to the average Tool fan (not to be insulting and call any of you guys "the average Tool fan"). But I also agree with a few of you, in that alot of the sound is a result of the producers. I would like to see Botrill again, but it seems like Bareissi (sp?), has become part of their family, and is probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

I am looking forward to hearing the samples Danny is collecting from the Hawaiian rainforests for his mandala pads, on the new album. And I hate to say it, but I sincerely think Maynard is beginning to lose his voice, and he is aware of this - so feeling a sense of urgency, no doubt. I mean give the guy a break, how long can you scream (while remaining harmonius, and melodius)like him without losing your voice? (20 years, I don't think so haha?). Adam has been so continually busy, he's got to be burning out (that's probably part of why he looks haggard like he does). The guy is a genious, I think. And Justin started to fingerpick (Wings 1 & 2), and got pretty damn good at it pretty fast, so I cant wait to hear more of that.

I think they have finally realized, given all the press, reviews, and CASH (which is the grandest Tool of them all, in America at least), that Tool is their baby, and their bread and butter. It is their home... and home is where the heart is. All the side projects have been great, but still mediocre comparatively. They are not getting any younger, and the time has come, for them to start at least formulating an ending to this grand adventure. Just like the ending to Parabola; "it's just got to be right". And the time is near...

Anyway, we are aswim in a sea of words, my friends. Sometimes I'm not sure what to think anymore.

This band has had a good run. No tragic overdoses, or irreconcilable differences, or Britney Spears media fiascos. Inspired millions of kids (and adults) towards benevolence. Lived the American dream, even in an industry that is falling apart at the seams. What more could anyone ask out of these guys. I will be happy with one more, personally, and regardless of how, and when.
02-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Didn't read all posts real closely, simply don't have enough time.

Your posts are good.

I have not listened to THRAK (just gotten into Crimson about the last 8 or so months), and I've always respected the Midnight Oil, but never dug very deeply there. I will do that when I can.

I respect your opinions. Well put.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Your posts are good.

I have not listened to THRAK (just gotten into Crimson about the last 8 or so months), and I've always respected the Midnight Oil, but never dug very deeply there. I will do that when I can.

02-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Depressing thought, at the rate these guys make music, I'd expect no more than two, maybe three more albums. I mean, they're already in their forties, right? How much more do they have left in the tank? I hope I'm wrong. Maybe they'll speed the music churning process up a bit.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Depressing thought, at the rate these guys make music, I'd expect no more than two, maybe three more albums. I mean, they're already in their forties, right? How much more do they have left in the tank? I hope I'm wrong. Maybe they'll speed the music churning process up a bit.
02-18-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Heh. I have that problem all the time.

Quote:
Your posts are good.
Thanks.

Quote:
Suffice to say, THRAK is, at times, crushingly dense, and, in my opinion, the last universally-great Crim studio album. The two in the 2000s feature good arrangements but usually less-than-great performances. As for Midnight Oil? Let me explain it best I can about 10, 9, 8... - under Nick Launay's production, a few sounds are bent in such a way that they, really, you could probably build a song on two sounds and make it still sound alright - and they kinda do on "Outside World." To an extent, this feels similar to Lateralus, especially "Schism," whereas a few sounds can be changed into a good variety. But as for the "30 years" thing - Lateralus really does share a good metric fuckload with 70s music, in my opinion. I can't help but think something in a mix between VdGG or Camel, and Black Sabbath's "Sabotage."

Quote:
Again, thanks muchly.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Heh. I have that problem all the time.

Quote:
Your posts are good.
Thanks.

Quote:
Suffice to say, THRAK is, at times, crushingly dense, and, in my opinion, the last universally-great Crim studio album. The two in the 2000s feature good arrangements but usually less-than-great performances. As for Midnight Oil? Let me explain it best I can about 10, 9, 8... - under Nick Launay's production, a few sounds are bent in such a way that they, really, you could probably build a song on two sounds and make it still sound alright - and they kinda do on "Outside World." To an extent, this feels similar to Lateralus, especially "Schism," whereas a few sounds can be changed into a good variety. But as for the "30 years" thing - Lateralus really does share a good metric fuckload with 70s music, in my opinion. I can't help but think something in a mix between VdGG or Camel, and Black Sabbath's "Sabotage."

Quote:
Again, thanks muchly.
02-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Really, 10KD is good, generally speaking, but it's a slight step down from Lateralus. To say, though, that Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot are good songs by anyone's standards is not a tall statement at all, really, but other parts of the album are bit odd. The "Wait, who's playing this again?" factor is evident on Wings/10KD - good song, but it just doesn't, well... feel Toolish, you know? Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is great but kinda... confusing... though it sorta distantly reminds me of Monster Magnet, which is pretty cool. Intension feels like a mild head-scratcher sometimes, but hey... not too bad. And Right in Two? Right in Two is probably the most quotable Tool song in a while. The segues are like other segues, so how much more can be said about 'em?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Really, 10KD is good, generally speaking, but it's a slight step down from Lateralus. To say, though, that Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot are good songs by anyone's standards is not a tall statement at all, really, but other parts of the album are bit odd. The "Wait, who's playing this again?" factor is evident on Wings/10KD - good song, but it just doesn't, well... feel Toolish, you know? Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is great but kinda... confusing... though it sorta distantly reminds me of Monster Magnet, which is pretty cool. Intension feels like a mild head-scratcher sometimes, but hey... not too bad. And Right in Two? Right in Two is probably the most quotable Tool song in a while. The segues are like other segues, so how much more can be said about 'em?
02-19-2008, 04:23 AM

Hi!

I'm new here, I heard about this too and I thought that it would be interesting to come here :)

I'm still into 10 000 Days but anyway, I'm still impatient for a new masterpiece :)
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

Hi!

I'm new here, I heard about this too and I thought that it would be interesting to come here :)

I'm still into 10 000 Days but anyway, I'm still impatient for a new masterpiece :)
tool25's Avatar tool25
02-19-2008, 04:41 AM

you and me both brother.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #28

Bincount™: 20

you and me both brother.
02-19-2008, 05:59 AM

I must be in the minority then cuz I really enjoyed 10k - I did enjoy Lat more though. I am excited to see whats next!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

I must be in the minority then cuz I really enjoyed 10k - I did enjoy Lat more though. I am excited to see whats next!
fawks
02-19-2008, 08:19 AM

I too like 10k days but over the piece ive received most from Lateralus (thats including the other records btw). That is the record that has emotionally moved me the most and so i guess i feel a greater affinity to it. Ive never felt a greater desire to actually weep while listening to a record than during those last couple of minutes of reflecton when it finally got me.
Then, when id read somewhere about a 10k preview (possibly on here) and the writer told how 10k took elements of previous work and embedded them within the new music so it was like a 'spot the hitchcock within the hitchcock', i nearly threw up. In a good OMFG I NEED THIS NOW way. But it just never quite worked out the way i was expecting (or maybe hoping).

Still, here's to a new effort in the not too distant future
Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

I too like 10k days but over the piece ive received most from Lateralus (thats including the other records btw). That is the record that has emotionally moved me the most and so i guess i feel a greater affinity to it. Ive never felt a greater desire to actually weep while listening to a record than during those last couple of minutes of reflecton when it finally got me.
Then, when id read somewhere about a 10k preview (possibly on here) and the writer told how 10k took elements of previous work and embedded them within the new music so it was like a 'spot the hitchcock within the hitchcock', i nearly threw up. In a good OMFG I NEED THIS NOW way. But it just never quite worked out the way i was expecting (or maybe hoping).

Still, here's to a new effort in the not too distant future
02-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I know what you're saying. The structure is looser, and Lipan Conjuring could go to hell for all I care. I do believe they were under some pressure to "get it out", and this contributed to the rather odd arrangement. This coupled with the new producer (they also used alot of new and different equipment obviously, as I'm sure you're also aware) gives it that "different" sound. Though, I'm sure you, and most, have observed (I know it has been discussed alot) they were pairing the songs to get the duality idea across, and therefore maybe and apparently some segues that they wanted to include in the theme just couldn't fit any way they tried. I remember talk that they didn't have a final arrangement set until almost the moment the disc went to pressing.

But to me, when I stand across the gap, and listen with ears wide open - I can't help but think to myself, "this is still Tool"... it's a little more distant, but it is most assuredly still them. To me anyway. The APC melody factor and influence is, though, definitely evident on pieces like Wings/10K D. Plus Justin's finger picking really sets those songs apart, and does make them very "different".

Jambi is undeniably epic - they achieved a level of "spirituality" on that song, at certain points, that is unmatched by much of anything I've ever heard. It has a primal, tribal, jungle influenced sound (as, again, I know you guys are all well aware of) - I always think of green and rainforests when I hear it. And I am fascinated with how they could pull that off with such simplicity (aside from Danny's drumming, which is never to be associated with simplicity). Also love how they incorporated the metaphore of tribal brutality into the music on this one. I am looking forward (maybe I should say highly anticipating) to what Danny will do with the samples he pulls from Hawaii, as I've stated over and over haha...

And there are moments on Rosetta that I am just thinking, "it sounds much more futuristic". It is a strange (and confounding) sci-fi epic to me, and the sounds fit well. I know Adam was using a new Marshall stack on this one, with some spacy chorus like effect at points. It's really simple, but so very effective. And I know a heavy criticism has been towards Adam's "simplistic, unemotional and un-Adam like solos". I think he has become enfatuated with stretching out notes and sustaining them maybe too long at points.

Wings and 10k are very important to me, because I personally have had a strikingly similar situation with my mother to Maynard's with his mother. It is bittersweet to me to hear those words put to music so eloquently. Such a beautiful eulogy and apology to her - everything he wanted to say, but didn't quite know how I think. And the album was one of their most important, in this respect.

But no matter how much I try and justify it, I still would prefer to hear their new material more towards Aenema and Lateralus. I am definitely with you guys on that one.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #31
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I know what you're saying. The structure is looser, and Lipan Conjuring could go to hell for all I care. I do believe they were under some pressure to "get it out", and this contributed to the rather odd arrangement. This coupled with the new producer (they also used alot of new and different equipment obviously, as I'm sure you're also aware) gives it that "different" sound. Though, I'm sure you, and most, have observed (I know it has been discussed alot) they were pairing the songs to get the duality idea across, and therefore maybe and apparently some segues that they wanted to include in the theme just couldn't fit any way they tried. I remember talk that they didn't have a final arrangement set until almost the moment the disc went to pressing.

But to me, when I stand across the gap, and listen with ears wide open - I can't help but think to myself, "this is still Tool"... it's a little more distant, but it is most assuredly still them. To me anyway. The APC melody factor and influence is, though, definitely evident on pieces like Wings/10K D. Plus Justin's finger picking really sets those songs apart, and does make them very "different".

Jambi is undeniably epic - they achieved a level of "spirituality" on that song, at certain points, that is unmatched by much of anything I've ever heard. It has a primal, tribal, jungle influenced sound (as, again, I know you guys are all well aware of) - I always think of green and rainforests when I hear it. And I am fascinated with how they could pull that off with such simplicity (aside from Danny's drumming, which is never to be associated with simplicity). Also love how they incorporated the metaphore of tribal brutality into the music on this one. I am looking forward (maybe I should say highly anticipating) to what Danny will do with the samples he pulls from Hawaii, as I've stated over and over haha...

And there are moments on Rosetta that I am just thinking, "it sounds much more futuristic". It is a strange (and confounding) sci-fi epic to me, and the sounds fit well. I know Adam was using a new Marshall stack on this one, with some spacy chorus like effect at points. It's really simple, but so very effective. And I know a heavy criticism has been towards Adam's "simplistic, unemotional and un-Adam like solos". I think he has become enfatuated with stretching out notes and sustaining them maybe too long at points.

Wings and 10k are very important to me, because I personally have had a strikingly similar situation with my mother to Maynard's with his mother. It is bittersweet to me to hear those words put to music so eloquently. Such a beautiful eulogy and apology to her - everything he wanted to say, but didn't quite know how I think. And the album was one of their most important, in this respect.

But no matter how much I try and justify it, I still would prefer to hear their new material more towards Aenema and Lateralus. I am definitely with you guys on that one.
02-19-2008, 11:56 AM

I'm really excited to hear that he's recording samples of the rainforest for his mandala pads. I can only imagine what he's conjuring up, a more primitive album. Like Lateralus perhaps but more tribal? Bring in the tabla again and I can almost imagine what awesome ideas they've got going already.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

I'm really excited to hear that he's recording samples of the rainforest for his mandala pads. I can only imagine what he's conjuring up, a more primitive album. Like Lateralus perhaps but more tribal? Bring in the tabla again and I can almost imagine what awesome ideas they've got going already.
02-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
how many times does it have to be said. there was no "outside" producer for 10,000 days. "evil" joe did not co-produce the album
Not sure this is in reference to my "producer" discussion, but in case it is (as I don't see anyone else discussing it so much), and to clarify: I'm simply talking about "evil" Joe compared to Bottrill. they are obviously dramatically different.

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 02-19-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
how many times does it have to be said. there was no "outside" producer for 10,000 days. "evil" joe did not co-produce the album
Not sure this is in reference to my "producer" discussion, but in case it is (as I don't see anyone else discussing it so much), and to clarify: I'm simply talking about "evil" Joe compared to Bottrill. they are obviously dramatically different.

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 02-19-2008 at 02:24 PM..
AcidRain's Avatar AcidRain
02-19-2008, 02:53 PM

Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #34

Bincount™: 14

02-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
If they don't make music that reminds me of tripping on acid in 1997 and hanging out with girls who have tribal tattoos on their vags who are in touch with their spiritual side but like kind of dark and sarcastic at the same time and like I'm listening to this music that's really mysterious and original and like even though they're mainstream only cool people are in the "know" because shit's just deep like that and I've never heard an album that had segues before and like holy shit the songs are so long that it's like totally almost like classical literature or something because man these words are all so huge, I'm just going to cry
That's pretty funny.

Actually, I was always rather amused and respected how Maynard purposefully dumbs the lyrics down to hopefully inspire misguided young monkeys to express themselves, and their anger creatively and/or benevolently, instead of just killing another monkey or something to that effect ("fanboi!" like quoting, I know). 'Cuz any music that accomplishes that has two thumbs up in my book. Classical literature just isn't all that appealing to the masses nowadays (considering how we spend more money on bombs than books, in America at least), unfortunately.

Now...

Where can I or where can I not find these girls with tribal tattoos on their vags' ? That is the question. *grins*

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 02-20-2008 at 01:16 AM..
Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
If they don't make music that reminds me of tripping on acid in 1997 and hanging out with girls who have tribal tattoos on their vags who are in touch with their spiritual side but like kind of dark and sarcastic at the same time and like I'm listening to this music that's really mysterious and original and like even though they're mainstream only cool people are in the "know" because shit's just deep like that and I've never heard an album that had segues before and like holy shit the songs are so long that it's like totally almost like classical literature or something because man these words are all so huge, I'm just going to cry
That's pretty funny.

Actually, I was always rather amused and respected how Maynard purposefully dumbs the lyrics down to hopefully inspire misguided young monkeys to express themselves, and their anger creatively and/or benevolently, instead of just killing another monkey or something to that effect ("fanboi!" like quoting, I know). 'Cuz any music that accomplishes that has two thumbs up in my book. Classical literature just isn't all that appealing to the masses nowadays (considering how we spend more money on bombs than books, in America at least), unfortunately.

Now...

Where can I or where can I not find these girls with tribal tattoos on their vags' ? That is the question. *grins*

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 02-20-2008 at 01:16 AM..
02-20-2008, 01:14 AM

^

haha... for once I am speechless
Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

^

haha... for once I am speechless
02-20-2008, 01:27 AM

On second thought, I recant as I find I can only hold my tongue (or in this case, my fingers) for so long.

This must be the land where V is for vags' ?, you speak of...

I believe the avatar says it all (and you can take that how you will) =)

Alright, on that note, and with every ounce of my untold humility I shall play no more into the disgrace of this thread.

Carry on my wayward son... carry on

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 02-20-2008 at 01:30 AM..
Old 02-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

On second thought, I recant as I find I can only hold my tongue (or in this case, my fingers) for so long.

This must be the land where V is for vags' ?, you speak of...

I believe the avatar says it all (and you can take that how you will) =)

Alright, on that note, and with every ounce of my untold humility I shall play no more into the disgrace of this thread.

Carry on my wayward son... carry on

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 02-20-2008 at 01:30 AM..
Anaon's Avatar Anaon
02-20-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I didn't know about the samples of the rainforest, it sounds good!! I can imagine like you said some thing more tribal...
Old 02-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I didn't know about the samples of the rainforest, it sounds good!! I can imagine like you said some thing more tribal...
Angel on the Sideline
02-20-2008, 06:10 AM

I just can't understand all the knocks on 10,000 Days. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect the point of view that the album was a letdown, but I can't see it that way myself. I will admit the first 2-3 times I heard the album I was let down quite a bit. But the more I listened to it the more I realized how great it was. I had the same experience with Lateralus coming after Aenima. I didn't like it at first, then came to realize that it was in fact a masterpiece. Sometimes, Tool's music is so far ahead of us that it takes us a while to catch up.

I'm not saying those who don't like the album can't comprehend it's greatness. Either you like it or you don't. But, for me, I love it after I caught up to it.

I do agree with a lot of the posters who speculate Tool may not put out many more albums. I'd love to see them go forever, but we all know things eventually end. Hopefully Tool won't end any time soon, but they are in their 40s and have other interests. I don't see them making music another 15 years.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #39
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

I just can't understand all the knocks on 10,000 Days. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect the point of view that the album was a letdown, but I can't see it that way myself. I will admit the first 2-3 times I heard the album I was let down quite a bit. But the more I listened to it the more I realized how great it was. I had the same experience with Lateralus coming after Aenima. I didn't like it at first, then came to realize that it was in fact a masterpiece. Sometimes, Tool's music is so far ahead of us that it takes us a while to catch up.

I'm not saying those who don't like the album can't comprehend it's greatness. Either you like it or you don't. But, for me, I love it after I caught up to it.

I do agree with a lot of the posters who speculate Tool may not put out many more albums. I'd love to see them go forever, but we all know things eventually end. Hopefully Tool won't end any time soon, but they are in their 40s and have other interests. I don't see them making music another 15 years.
Angel on the Sideline
02-20-2008, 06:12 AM

By the way, thanks for the link. I'm surprised Maynard would talk to MTV these days, but I'm thrilled with the reported news. It jives with what Justin said in another interview I read a while back.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

By the way, thanks for the link. I'm surprised Maynard would talk to MTV these days, but I'm thrilled with the reported news. It jives with what Justin said in another interview I read a while back.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply