opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 03-23-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9
Maynard's On Stage Habits.

I don't know where exactly this should go on the forum. Mods should feel free to move it as neccessary.

A lot of folks have made a big deal about Maynard turning his back to the audience at certain shows. To many of these people, they assume that his turning his back is a show of contempt or hatred or disregard. Personally, I've never interpreted it as such.

As a performer, I know how hard it can be to get up in front of people and perform. Maynard is a deeply emotional person. I can imagine that performing can still make him nervous (and it's this fact that shows that his heart is still in the music).

People make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year selling products and guides on how to overcome stagefright. Maybe Maynard copes with this by not looking at the audience. Personally, I close my eyes and perform with my eyes closed so that I can get into the moment and not get swept up in the fear I feel.

It is possible that turning his back to the audience does the same thing for him. Like always, I could be wrong, but it was worth a shot...
Old 03-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
Re: Maynard's On Stage Habits.

no, he just assumes people want to take a photo of him, and he doesnt want people taking photos of him . . .

i think he has too high an opinion of himself . . .

crow011 . . .
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2158

Or maybe he thinks people should listen to the music instead of focus on him.

Nahh, thats too silly a notion.*
Old 03-23-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
Banned.

actually, it is pretty silly . . .

why would he tour at all, if he didnt want anyone to see him, when we could just listen to a cd at home? . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 03-25-2004, 05:38 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

because the feelings and emotions and sound at a live show is a million times better than listening to your cd at home ......... not to mention the awesome tool visuals which although YES are visuals theyre to enhance the music .......... maynard is just a person, talented yes but hes not the center of the world
Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 295

My cousin once told me he turns his back because the flash photography hurts his eyes. And that Maynard stands more behind the band than any other frontman because he doesn't want to be the only member seen.

But what the hell does my cousin know?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by svet-am

A lot of folks have made a big deal about Maynard turning his back to the audience at certain shows. To many of these people, they assume that his turning his back is a show of contempt or hatred or disregard. Personally, I've never interpreted it as such.

As a performer, I know how hard it can be to get up in front of people and perform. Maynard is a deeply emotional person. I can imagine that performing can still make him nervous (and it's this fact that shows that his heart is still in the music).
I couldn't agree with you more Svet.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
dsl
Banned.

Bincount™: 1278

I believe he was taking a leaf out of Jim Morrison's book on this one.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #9
Banned.

i think that the NARD is a pretentious prick . . .

its taken me 5 years to figure that out, but now that i realise it, it really doesnt change my opinion of him . . .

at least danny is still a genuine guy . . .
Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow011
actually, it is pretty silly . . .

why would he tour at all, if he didnt want anyone to see him, when we could just listen to a cd at home? . . .

crow011 . . .
everyone has to make sacrifices. And besides people want to hear live music.
that why it isnt silly.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:05 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow011
i think that the NARD is a pretentious prick . . .

its taken me 5 years to figure that out, but now that i realise it, it really doesnt change my opinion of him . . .

at least danny is still a genuine guy . . .

Now I see why your banned.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:30 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 483

I've seen Maynard at many concerts facing forwards like most other performers, more than I have seen him off hiding in some weird stage prop like he has at some APC concerts or just with his back turned. I kind of agree with the flash photography idea that Chaos Theory mentioned. When he is performing in a stadium/center where you might see people taking a lot more pictures, that's when you see him hiding somewhere. When he performed with APC on Jay Leno, he was clearly visible (although not out in front like most "front"men). I doubt people are allowed to have cameras during the taping of the Tonight Show. Same thing with outdoor concerts, where people are too busy moshing to even think about taking pictures.

You also never saw him hiding at all during the early to mid 90's. Maybe he spawned stage fright over the years somehow?

Last edited by herrhav0k; 02-26-2005 at 12:32 AM..
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #13
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

i read an article in which maynard said that he often is in the back of the stage for 2 reasons. Plus one of mine observed from a San Antonio show.

1) People tend to focus on him and forget about the other 3/4 ths of the band.
2) He often times has to sing really quiet for the vocals to sound right and the back of he stage is usually the most quiet as far as PA's go. Its also easier for him to concentrate.
3) People like to throw shit believe it or not. Danney was hit in the head with a shoe at the last show i was at.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangular_Vision
i read an article in which maynard said that he often is in the back of the stage for 2 reasons. Plus one of mine observed from a San Antonio show.

1) People tend to focus on him and forget about the other 3/4 ths of the band.
2) He often times has to sing really quiet for the vocals to sound right and the back of he stage is usually the most quiet as far as PA's go. Its also easier for him to concentrate.
3) People like to throw shit believe it or not. Danney was hit in the head with a shoe at the last show i was at.
Couldn't agree more, a friend of mine met maynard back stage at an APC show, and he told him the same thing about him being pointed out more than the rest of the band. A reason why he first wore a wig in APC... and the quiet vocals thing is right on track, it is the most quiet part of the stage.

Also, the way maynard holds his microphone, he holds it with his thumb against the rest of his hand so it doesnt look like he's holding a penis, or jerking off.. somethng like that. I forget the exact reason.

The last time I saw tool was Sept 27, 2001. He was in the back of the stage for that, the lateralus tour. He actually did come off his stage and come forward during pushit at one time, and it was amazing. Is maynard still using two microphones like he used to back in the day? He didn't at my show. Also, I saw apc this past summer, and he was on this huge platform behind this screen for the first three songs, then he was present... but he was hard to see, it was just like he was a shadow of some sort.

I think what he does on stage just adds the more mystery to his character that he has, that's about it. He's not an arrogant prick or an asshole, like the banned dude was sayin.. he's just jealous.. and that's why he's banned ;)
Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #15
frat boy extraordinaire

Bincount™: 6242

Maynard stands in back of the stage simply so he doesnt have to fight with the guitarists. When all three are in front some the sounds of the voice gets lost because of the power of the instruments. By standing in the back Maynard gets to hear himself better as well as Danny. If you do some research there is an article or interview in which the band explains this, although at present I cannot remember where I found it. Other things such as meditations, or Maynard strange positions are all part of his own rituals which help him achieve states of clarity. His back turned to the crowd could be many things which could be debated until someone finds an interview with the right information.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It just occured to me....you guys are thinking too much about something that reall isn't important. If I was at a concert, I would'nt mind seeing Maynard but if he had his back turned to me I wouldn't fret.....as long as the music was still good. I think you people are just thinking too hard, making something simple complicated. Well that's my opinion.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #17
frat boy extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK THE TANK
It just occured to me....you guys are thinking too much about something that reall isn't important. If I was at a concert, I would'nt mind seeing Maynard but if he had his back turned to me I wouldn't fret.....as long as the music was still good. I think you people are just thinking too hard, making something simple complicated. Well that's my opinion.
If you like Maynard it is important. Although I like the set up.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i do like maynard....it's just that it's not really that big of a deal.....leave the man something for himself
Old 03-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #19
frat boy extraordinaire

Quote:
i do like maynard....it's just that it's not really that big of a deal.....leave the man something for himself
Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

This is what he wants
well im bill barnes and im the extectutive director to the ba ba ba ba bbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrnnnnneeeesssssss ems ems ems zabillarns i like to make the history come alive to t he people that come bahhhhhhy meeeeeeeeee
Old 04-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #21
The most Bosnianest of us all

Bincount™: 4279

Quote:
I hate when people say things like that. What's the point of a discussion board then? if there is a rule on what should and should not be discussed, please let us know. We choose to post and analyze a person actions to find out more about the said person, and grow as a human being. Taking others approach to life (that being musical concerts as well) helps us grow and experience new things, as small and meaningless as they may seem to others like yourself. Don't shut down the party, because you didn't get invited.

As for my own opinion, I feel as does everyone here. His way of being a part of one system, of the whole band gives the viewer a whole new perspective. As well, if it enhances his way of being at peace with the music and being in tune with the purity of it then let it be. The comment on his meditation is highly evident through his hobbies, and what better way to do then at a show with their music being exhibited through the purest fof ways. The coming together and being one is highly evident in TOOL's music, so to present this to an audience of thousands shouldn't be shocking. He can fkat out lay down or sit in a chair as long as he is up there and his music is making me feel good.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha
I hate when people say things like that. What's the point of a discussion board then? if there is a rule on what should and should not be discussed, please let us know. We choose to post and analyze a person actions to find out more about the said person, and grow as a human being. Taking others approach to life (that being musical concerts as well) helps us grow and experience new things, as small and meaningless as they may seem to others like yourself. Don't shut down the party, because you didn't get invited.

As for my own opinion, I feel as does everyone here. His way of being a part of one system, of the whole band gives the viewer a whole new perspective. As well, if it enhances his way of being at peace with the music and being in tune with the purity of it then let it be. The comment on his meditation is highly evident through his hobbies, and what better way to do then at a show with their music being exhibited through the purest fof ways. The coming together and being one is highly evident in TOOL's music, so to present this to an audience of thousands shouldn't be shocking. He can fkat out lay down or sit in a chair as long as he is up there and his music is making me feel good.

First of....i only siad that becaus people are thinking way TOO HARD about this subject....people have already thought this out....it just gets on my nerves when people try to figure out every single little detail of Maynard. He does it so what? Is the show no good just because you cannot see him? Does it make the money you spent on the concert not worth it? I mean I can understand some people but man trying to find out why he turms his back to the crowd? IN MY opinion that's a little too far...he has his reason....i dont mind as long as the music is great and the show is good...he could dissappear off the stage for all I care....JUST AS LONG AS THE MUSIC IS GOOD !!! PEACE
Old 04-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #23
On Probation

Bincount™: 4

Maybehe just likes to face the other way.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalkz
Maybehe just likes to face the other way.

Holy shit that must've taken you days to figure out...??

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/sho...er-1427364.html
Old 05-09-2005, 03:42 AM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

took u on a month to reply
i dont care what any of the band do, im there for the music fully, i dont think people should bitch about them doing what they do to help them perform the music the best
Old 06-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

Tool performs with the audience in thier palms. What they do on stage is really insignificant considering thier strong musical momentum. I dont see why anyone would choose to dislike tool because Adam Jones doesnt head bang and Maynard doesnt spit/piss in the crowd. I have seen many-a-good bands live, but Tool takes the fucking cake of badass concerts.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #27
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 54

no guys, its because he wants people to check out his ass. *

but mabye hes doing the jim morrison thing.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #28
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

Who cares where he stands as long as you can see him dance? His dances are fucking hilarious!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: