opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 03-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
"as above, so below"

ive heard a phrase very similar to this in a song by Mr. Bungle off of the Disco Volante album (Mr. Bungle has the lead singer of Faith No More....i think). anyways its on the song "Merry Go Bye-Bye". it says "so above, as below" somewhere in the song.

any thoughts?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: "as above, so below"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold and faded anger
ive heard a phrase very similar to this in a song by Mr. Bungle off of the Disco Volante album (Mr. Bungle has the lead singer of Faith No More....i think). anyways its on the song "Merry Go Bye-Bye". it says "so above, as below" somewhere in the song.

any thoughts?
Well, according to a book I read about Gurdjieff (I posted about it below), it's some sort of occult phrase or mantra or something, which has been extended to other things.

As above, so below. It's the structure of existence and the spiral.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

As far as I know, that phrase was mentioned by Gurdjieff (although it may have been Ouspensky) in the book 'In Search of the Miraculous' (amazing read! highly recommend! ;) Now I don't believe either of them would have been the first to mention it. If I can remember correctly (don't count on it lol) G mentions it in connection with his teaching of the Ray of Creation which is governed by the law of 7 (or of octaves) which is based on major scale in music (above/below is the Absolute). This utterance is not, however, limited to G or Ouspensky Alan Watts in a lecture i own say's that to understand all the secrets of philosophy all that one must understand is that for every inside there is an outside and vice-versa. Also Watts mentions another form of this sort of mystical dictum in his book 'The Book' given by Jesus when J say's 'when you make the two one and the inner as the outer...then ye shall enter into thy father's kingdom' or something like this. Oddly enough Watts actually mentions G in that book calling him a "rascal sage"....NOW how does this connect to Mr. Bungle?...Im getting there just hold on! Now then I remember reading an article awhile back and i believe it was adam jones that said all of the band members are influenced by sacred geometry...it just so happens that i am considering going to a public presentation on G's ideas, well after looking at their schedule on their website sacred geometry was listed as a lecture given previously and i knew it sounded familiar... Sacred Geometry is a chapter in the book "Nothing in this Book is True but It's Exactly How Things Are" which is on the Tool recommendation reading list (its an occult book and perhaps this Sacred Geometry,as with many occult religions, was the tiny grain of truth in it ) (seriously the book is wacko besides a chapter or two lol) Coincidentally (or not!!!!!) The Fourth Way by Ouspensky (G's pupil) is also on the list, leading me to believe that all members of Tool have been (rather seriously) influenced by G and his teachings...perhaps are even members of a school themselves (although this is merely speculative..i dont really know nor do i care that much b/c they still have great music!) NOW in G's teaching their is a symbol of sacred geometry known as the enneagram it looks similar to the symbol on daney carey's drumhead as well as the tool army logo and also if you go to the official Faith No More website a symbol of this kind (although not the enneagram in particular) can be found on the bottom of the home page...and yes Mike Patton is the lead singer for both FNM and Mr. Bungle. And besides all that their is connections/mutual respect between tool and mike patton (in fact maynard mentioned mike somewhat arbitrarily in an interview i seen awhile back) so their is your connection! WOW plz read all of this! it took me forever to type it! lol :)
Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

create your life through thought, create your thought through life.

also this
http://muhammadfarms.com/hermetic_principles.htm
Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

ShellKov, that is exactly how I viewed the song when I was in high school. Goals, hopes and dreams were very elusive back then. Things are much clearer now, so, like the good little spider said: keep your chin up!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Shellkov and the spider are one.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #7

Bincount™: 7676

I want to fight ShellKov irl.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
Up From The Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by J A G View Post
I want to fight ShellKov irl.
Ah, yes. That was my first initial reaction as well.

Breathe JAG, breathe. Out with the negative, in with the positive. Om.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Last edited by lisaadler; 12-18-2014 at 09:05 PM..
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #10

Bincount™: 7676

Old 12-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
Up From The Skies

Buckle my shoe.