opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 05-21-2003, 10:59 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Today, young man on acid, realizes that all that matters...

Okey.. I have to admit that I have some problem understand what is being said in this intro.

Can somebody do me that favour to copy/paste or write down what you think?

*Thank you for giving me your valuable time.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:18 PM   #2
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
See I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor; go home tonight, take all albums, all your tapes, and all your cd's, and burn 'em. Because you know what? The musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years... real fucking high on drugs.

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

It's not a war of drugs, it's a war on personal freedom is what it is, okay? Keep that in mind at all times, thank you.

All courtesy of the late Bill Hicks.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator
Old 05-21-2003, 11:19 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
dude . . .

its not that difficult to grasp . . .

today, a dude took acid and had a meaningful, insightful experience . . .

instead of dying, or going crazy, or whatever it is that people expect people who take drugs to do . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 03:04 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

did you know that more people die at the hands of vending machines in the US every year than people die from LSD? Just don't kick that machine when it doesn't give you your change...

I think its important to listen to what Hicks is saying. Drugs ARE a useful tool for expanding your mind. Just like tool is a useful drug to expand your mind. ;)
Old 05-25-2003, 10:25 AM   #5
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58
Quote:
Originally posted by basschakra
did you know that more people die at the hands of vending machines in the US every year than people die from LSD? Just don't kick that machine when it doesn't give you your change...

I think its important to listen to what Hicks is saying. Drugs ARE a useful tool for expanding your mind. Just like tool is a useful drug to expand your mind. ;)
i agree that drugs can be used to gain insight,

but you have to admit that 90% of users are doing them just for a high.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166
Quote:
Originally posted by ry.
i agree that drugs can be used to gain insight,

but you have to admit that 90% of users are doing them just for a high.
whats wrong with that? i think its best to just use drugs to get high, that way, you wont be disappointed when your greatest insight is something like "the light at the end of the tunnel may be out"
Old 05-28-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58
Quote:
Originally posted by jpmanson
whats wrong with that? i think its best to just use drugs to get high, that way, you wont be disappointed when your greatest insight is something like "the light at the end of the tunnel may be out"
well hey i do them at times too, for both reasons actually, but most people that do drugs get "caught up" in them and over-do them.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:37 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by basschakra

Actually, that would be very accurate, considering there have been very few deaths, period, in the history of LSD. The quanities you would have to consume to actually "OD" on LSD are staggering. More than likely a person would go the path of Syd Barrett and drive themself completely insane before even coming close to doing damage to the body's vital systems enough to shut it down. Brain damage and phychosis, however, can occur rather easily depending on the user. Some minds would be more prone to permanent damage then others with varying quanitites of LSD.
I would also like to say that while Bill Hicks IS making a statement on the positive effects drugs can have, I also think he was making a lighthearted wisecrack at the crazy concepts and themes the mind conceptionalizes on drugs.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Today, young man on acid, realizes that all that matters...

I think the word "acid" is symbolic...it could be LSD, or rain water, or watching a tree. The important thing is not a drug, is whatever triggers your mind. If you find a catalyst, it doesn't matter if it's a drug, or music, or an action you take...or don't take. Think of Thimoty Leary's experiments to expand consciousness in a drug-free way, for example. Personally, I find Tool to be one of the catalysts I use.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

No, Bill Hicks actually meant acid as in LSD in that particular sketch.
He was poking fun at sensationalist and scare-tactic headlines during his time about lisergic acid, most of them being along tine lines of "Man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out the window".

Stop over-analyzing everything, finding "symbols" where there are none.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yes, Hicks was talking about LSD literally. But I think Tool uses the phrase with a not-so-literal intention. And I don't think I'm over-analizing or finding symbols. Tool's music and lyrics have so many layers that almost everything is symbolic. In my opinion, if you don't want to "over-analyze", you should not be reading anything in this forum, cause that's what it's all about.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

it represents the revelation ...that "all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves". if "LSD, or rain water, or watching a tree" or listening to music (including TOOL itself) "or an action you take...or don't take" is able to take you there ...then that's what hicks was talking about. up and down the board, if something profound is promoted or found - especially within an individual, about the collective - the media will chew it up and spit it out as some sort of fleeting fancy bordering on slacker good-for-nothing partisan bullshit. marginalization. what a tragedy. so the truth of it is not about pointing or "waving his finger at everything but his heart" ...no. we are all one. this is the message "acid" represents ...this is why it acts as a synonymous introductory soundbite to the track "third eye" ...for more information: think for yourself, question authority.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 06-25-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
it represents the revelation ...that "all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves". if "LSD, or rain water, or watching a tree" or listening to music (including TOOL itself) "or an action you take...or don't take" is able to take you there ...then that's what hicks was talking about. up and down the board, if something profound is promoted or found - especially within an individual, about the collective - the media will chew it up and spit it out as some sort of fleeting fancy bordering on slacker good-for-nothing partisan bullshit. marginalization. what a tragedy. so the truth of it is not about pointing or "waving his finger at everything but his heart" ...no. we are all one. this is the message "acid" represents ...this is why it acts as a synonymous introductory soundbite to the track "third eye" ...for more information: think for yourself, question authority.
Good post.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Excellent.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelKoz View Post
No, Bill Hicks actually meant acid as in LSD in that particular sketch.
He was poking fun at sensationalist and scare-tactic headlines during his time about lisergic acid, most of them being along tine lines of "Man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out the window".

Stop over-analyzing everything, finding "symbols" where there are none.
Agree with this. I don't think anyone--especially people like tool (unless theyre truly asshole hypocrites)--would object to your definition of "LSD" being whatever you want it to be, but that soundbyte of bill hicks is definitely talking about LSD, the drug. He prefaces the bit--as im sure many of you know-- talking about how the news is supposed to be objective and yet there are no positive drug stories on the news, just negative ones. He starts with the acid trip we all know, the guy who took acid and jumped out of a window, then contrasts it with a positive experience, the one mentioned in this thread. So, I really don't think there is any question about what he's talking about.

Having said that, I'd like to link something together that really blew my mind when I realized it not too long ago. And that is, that Bill Hick's LSD revelation is the same profound physical insight Einstein came to, E=mc^2. Does anyone else find this as mind boggling as I do?? One of the smartest men to have ever lived, through years of calculation, thought, studies and discipline, derived--through calculus no less--a very profound equation relating energy to mass. A very smart, brave, and funny dude on acid came to the same conclusion, on an intuitive level. That conclusion being that MASS IS ENERGY!

I can't be the only one blown away by this revelation....
Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
Level 10 - Vehement

so it's about acid but not the revelation? why didn't bill hicks just say "today a young man took acid and had a really positive time, here's tom with the weather" ?
Old 07-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110

Quote:
so it's about acid but not the revelation? why didn't bill hicks just say "today a young man took acid and had a really positive time, here's tom with the weather" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA

Hes talking about how acid, among other drugs, has a bad rep. All we see on the news are bad trips, scare tactics, and misinformation. That, infact, acid can facilitate the very revelation you are talking about. I dont understand what youre exactly trying to argue. Bill Hicks is without question talking about the substance LSD in his quote. He uses it to illustrate how LSD can lead you to a profound revelation like the one we are discussing. That said, not me, and Im pretty sure not Bill Hicks either, would deny that there are many ways to end up at that revelation. But in this particular instance, he is talking about how L. S. D. led him to said revelation.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #18
Up From The Skies

Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

i suppose then that i don't understand why you agreed to VelKoz's arguing that it was just about acid or that the revelation was only restricted to the acid trip, or to suggest anything else would be fabricating, over-analyzing, so stop. i think when hicks says "a young man on ACID" ...he was referring to a young man on acid. who's arguing that? the comment VelKoz put the foot down with "no"s and "stop"s had to do with Esteban Crespo's idea that acid represented an example of prevailing over a general suppression of information (from what should be THEEEEEE NEWSSSS)... as hicks is one to point out various systemic hypocrisies. that, were we allowed the full story, the general public would make more logical decisions, understand its own potential, realize that matter is energy, that we can move into the 21st century, and the world would be a better place. acid is a (lost) key (blame hoffman), and at a potency measured in micrograms it makes the doors of perception that much more accessible, but it is not the only key. the timothy leary soundbite for the same track - albeit live version - suggests the exact same thing. overcoming an intentional suppression of thought. hicks meant it this way, tool utilized the acid rant this way. the instructional introduction is a reminder: think for yourself, question authority (no's/stop's).

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 07-05-2014 at 01:24 AM..
Old 07-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Tool facebook page showed this: "After going to a screening of "DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES" the other day, here's what DANNY had to say: "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" was powerful and captivating for any true 'Planet of the Apes' fan. Caesar continued to grow into the endearing and heroic character we know and love. That along with the best CGI effects I've ever seen, make it a true winner."
Someone wrote: Probably some tracklisting secret or release date hidden in this message. Count the vowels.
Tool website showed this: D.O.T.P.O.T.A.

It's good to know that there was at least one perceptive reader of Danny's recent quote on the Tool Facebook Page...

I don't have a clue.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #21
Up From The Skies

No way.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: