Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
The Green Mule
01-08-2017, 09:39 PM

As most of you would know "The Rosetta Stone is a granodiorite stele, found in 1799, inscribed with a decree issued at Memphis, Egypt, in 196 BC on behalf of King Ptolemy V. The decree appears in three scripts: the upper text is Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, the middle portion is Demotic script, and the lowest is Ancient Greek. The stone presents essentially the same text in all three scripts (with some minor differences among them) and so provided the key to the modern understanding of Egyptian hieroglyphs."

So the original Rosetta stone appears with 3 different languages. I'm proposing that this song is not a mockery but is actually a new 'puzzle' to figure out. What different languages does it withhold, and what is the possible answer? There are the sound clues, the entertainment references and the analogies, what else in the song have you found?

P.S. Now I'm sure this will end better than Kubrick's 2001
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Languages

As most of you would know "The Rosetta Stone is a granodiorite stele, found in 1799, inscribed with a decree issued at Memphis, Egypt, in 196 BC on behalf of King Ptolemy V. The decree appears in three scripts: the upper text is Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, the middle portion is Demotic script, and the lowest is Ancient Greek. The stone presents essentially the same text in all three scripts (with some minor differences among them) and so provided the key to the modern understanding of Egyptian hieroglyphs."

So the original Rosetta stone appears with 3 different languages. I'm proposing that this song is not a mockery but is actually a new 'puzzle' to figure out. What different languages does it withhold, and what is the possible answer? There are the sound clues, the entertainment references and the analogies, what else in the song have you found?

P.S. Now I'm sure this will end better than Kubrick's 2001
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
The Green Mule
01-13-2017, 09:22 PM

I'll start shall I...

Okay, so this is a song about the human race. When you understand it's so obvious, but brilliant and true. The protagonist is led through the journey as an individual, however he actually represents all of us. You see this in lyrics such as "chosen people", the chosen one, which is why "dave" is Dave Lister from Red Dwarf. The sole human on an epic space adventure. The reference to having woken in wonderland reveals how few of us actually perceive this life as a gift, that when one of us actually do the world suddenly becomes so magical. "Cause this shit never happens to me!" Yes, this is happening! Wake up! The continuity of the world brings boredom and complacency.

I'm all for spoon feeding
Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
On Probation

Re: Languages

I'll start shall I...

Okay, so this is a song about the human race. When you understand it's so obvious, but brilliant and true. The protagonist is led through the journey as an individual, however he actually represents all of us. You see this in lyrics such as "chosen people", the chosen one, which is why "dave" is Dave Lister from Red Dwarf. The sole human on an epic space adventure. The reference to having woken in wonderland reveals how few of us actually perceive this life as a gift, that when one of us actually do the world suddenly becomes so magical. "Cause this shit never happens to me!" Yes, this is happening! Wake up! The continuity of the world brings boredom and complacency.

I'm all for spoon feeding
The Green Mule
01-14-2017, 03:26 AM

For my fellow enthusiasts, after the "Hey..." part, picture the formation of the Earth, consider the amount of time, the evolution of life, and the evolution of complex life, and the growth and development of humanity. This song is better than Lateralus IMO, I just want to see it recognized as such
Old 01-14-2017, 03:26 AM   #3
On Probation

For my fellow enthusiasts, after the "Hey..." part, picture the formation of the Earth, consider the amount of time, the evolution of life, and the evolution of complex life, and the growth and development of humanity. This song is better than Lateralus IMO, I just want to see it recognized as such
Malaclypse
01-14-2017, 01:43 PM

it is a great song... though i only see it as a parody of acid-heads.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Banned.

it is a great song... though i only see it as a parody of acid-heads.
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
01-14-2017, 06:17 PM

I like to push 1 for Spanish when Hoffman is eating keys of acid. Then it sounds like rainbow tacos shooting out of the headphones. The deep bass parts are more like a steak burrito. Dat quesadilla solo tho lit af with cheese on top!
Old 01-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

I like to push 1 for Spanish when Hoffman is eating keys of acid. Then it sounds like rainbow tacos shooting out of the headphones. The deep bass parts are more like a steak burrito. Dat quesadilla solo tho lit af with cheese on top!
PrometheusRising's Avatar PrometheusRising
01-15-2017, 12:15 PM

My take is that the band intended this song to serve as a deterrent against the use of mind-expanding drugs.

In the protagonist's experience, he is entrusted with a 'message of hope for those who choose to hear it, and a warning for those who do not' by some non-human entities. In this new paradigm, he accepts the Zoo Hypothesis as the solution to the Fermi Paradox, that humanity is almost certainly headed towards extinction, and recognizes the severity of failing to deliver such a message.

Rosetta Stoned

As the contents of the revelation begin to elude the protagonist, he starts to question his own sanity and loses confidence in the legitimacy of his experience. Overcome with burden and guilt, he is dragged into a downward spiral of self-defeat.

If it's not meant to deter, it's a disclaimer at the very least.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

My take is that the band intended this song to serve as a deterrent against the use of mind-expanding drugs.

In the protagonist's experience, he is entrusted with a 'message of hope for those who choose to hear it, and a warning for those who do not' by some non-human entities. In this new paradigm, he accepts the Zoo Hypothesis as the solution to the Fermi Paradox, that humanity is almost certainly headed towards extinction, and recognizes the severity of failing to deliver such a message.

Rosetta Stoned

As the contents of the revelation begin to elude the protagonist, he starts to question his own sanity and loses confidence in the legitimacy of his experience. Overcome with burden and guilt, he is dragged into a downward spiral of self-defeat.

If it's not meant to deter, it's a disclaimer at the very least.
The Green Mule
01-17-2017, 01:33 AM

What's contentious for me is the meaning of "feet cold (and) eyes red". I relate it to humans inability to accept our reality, or want to (cold feet), and an industrial revolution hangover that is leading toward climate change, hence shitting the bed. But it could mean many other things.

Also the alien involvement and identity. I gather there is something suggestive of a similar step in our evolutionary process to that you see in Kubrick's 2001. The oblong feature perhaps being a drug of some kind, propelling us forward. As I posted elsewhere though I question whether Tool might be hinting that Scientology may be correct about something, with his sweaty upper lip perhaps being the staunch (religious) opponent being met with evidence. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Other little pieces fit, while some are still baffling. If you're up this line of thinking thoughm please add

Last edited by The Green Mule; 01-17-2017 at 01:37 AM..
Old 01-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #7
On Probation

What's contentious for me is the meaning of "feet cold (and) eyes red". I relate it to humans inability to accept our reality, or want to (cold feet), and an industrial revolution hangover that is leading toward climate change, hence shitting the bed. But it could mean many other things.

Also the alien involvement and identity. I gather there is something suggestive of a similar step in our evolutionary process to that you see in Kubrick's 2001. The oblong feature perhaps being a drug of some kind, propelling us forward. As I posted elsewhere though I question whether Tool might be hinting that Scientology may be correct about something, with his sweaty upper lip perhaps being the staunch (religious) opponent being met with evidence. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Other little pieces fit, while some are still baffling. If you're up this line of thinking thoughm please add

Last edited by The Green Mule; 01-17-2017 at 01:37 AM..
Malaclypse
01-17-2017, 02:03 AM

i know i get red eyes when i smoke bud and my feet and hands get freezing cold when dropping tabs.
i just attribute it to slowed blood circulation and/or lowered blood pressure.
maybe i'm taking the song too literally.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:03 AM   #8
Banned.

i know i get red eyes when i smoke bud and my feet and hands get freezing cold when dropping tabs.
i just attribute it to slowed blood circulation and/or lowered blood pressure.
maybe i'm taking the song too literally.
PrometheusRising's Avatar PrometheusRising
01-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Scientology reference is just for humour methinks. But the lines "my sweaty L. Ron Hubbard upper lip....notice I pissed my fucking pants" are hinting at hypocrisy.

Say you're the leader of some Church who preaches about the 'chosen people thingy', you are either faithful to your teachings or being deceitful for financial gain. And now this happens....let's just say it would reveal a lot about yourself.

Would you accept that message? Could you change your belief system? Do you always carry a pen & paper, and how far along would you go as a 'messenger'? Maybe that's the point of the song...you wouldn't know ahead of time
Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Scientology reference is just for humour methinks. But the lines "my sweaty L. Ron Hubbard upper lip....notice I pissed my fucking pants" are hinting at hypocrisy.

Say you're the leader of some Church who preaches about the 'chosen people thingy', you are either faithful to your teachings or being deceitful for financial gain. And now this happens....let's just say it would reveal a lot about yourself.

Would you accept that message? Could you change your belief system? Do you always carry a pen & paper, and how far along would you go as a 'messenger'? Maybe that's the point of the song...you wouldn't know ahead of time
The Green Mule
01-25-2017, 05:50 PM

I can't be convinced of another interpretation. Listen to Radiohead's Reckoner and you'll find a similar type of illusion, as if someone among us could be the leader or "hero".

Last edited by The Green Mule; 01-25-2017 at 05:55 PM..
Old 01-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
On Probation

I can't be convinced of another interpretation. Listen to Radiohead's Reckoner and you'll find a similar type of illusion, as if someone among us could be the leader or "hero".

Last edited by The Green Mule; 01-25-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply