opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 09-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
its about mind-altering drug experience

I think people are reading way too much into this song. It reminds me of a high school English teacher. The song is written to the same effect as Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb". Many spiritual teachings associate a color to your spirit, different colors meaning different values and characteristics. Maynard had a trip, went out-of-body, and saw his own spirit. Sounds stupid, I know, but I've done it. Its no bull-shit. The "Comfortably Numb" tie-in is the second half of the song. The spiritual world is dragged away from our psyche's as adults, but we catch a glimpse of it when we are children. When experimenting with hallucinogenics, or if you're lucky enough to be able to put yourself in a meditative trance, you go back to that child-like acceptance of an unexplainable dimension outside our own. Maynard is picking up the pieces bit by bit (trip by trip) and trying to reassemble just what he might have been, i.e., what his spirit is capable of. I think the pedophilia ideas are insane, you're reading into the lyrics way too hard. It's written in plain english. That's what I love about Tool, the songs are written vaguely to allow your own understanding of what you need it to mean at the time. "H" has meant about 20 different things to me in my life, and everytime I've used it to get through a tough time, it takes on a new meaning to me for exactly that time and moment. "Third Eye", however is pretty plain and simple when you look into it. I actually think it's one of the easiest to interperet (sp?). Any way, just throwing in my two cents.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: its about mind-altering drug experience

Who are you talking to?

While I read your post I couldn't help but imagine you standing in an empty room lecturing the wall.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

you fuckin read it, didnt you? sorry, i didnt want to specify one response to all the mind-numbingly idiotic comments i just went through. so i just popped one up on the main page. and no, i wasnt lecturing the wall, i was lecturing my painting of maynard on the wall. i'm not really into this shit anyway, if you'll notice i joined yesterday.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1385

then why did you post if you're not into it?

p.s.: It doesn't take luck to induce a meditative trance. It takes will.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

'im from west texas and im not really into it'
Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

suck a dick. i know im cool
Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

The foundation of your facts are built upon sand.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitee View Post
oh for christ's sake, i'm not some computer-literate asshole. I've loved the band for 15 years, and I read some posts insided the tread. I simply wanted to respond. I fucked up. I never should have, because then I wouldnt have to deal with you assholes. And I know I could quit checking back, but I'm compelled to see what shit you're talking. I'm a glutton for punishment. Cut me a break, if you knew me, you'd love me.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
that was to you telling me to suck a dick and you talking about how cool you were.

You see? Because I don't like the cock.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
that was to you telling me to suck a dick and you talking about how cool you were.

ohhhhhh... well i was confused, because i dont know your stance on fellatio, but me being cool is scientifically proven
Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Welcome to Jr High
Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

or smoke crack.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeloader View Post
ohhhhhh... well i was confused, because i dont know your stance on fellatio, but me being cool is scientifically proven to be an impossibility
fixed.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
MJM
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
oh for christ's sake, i'm not some computer-literate asshole. I've loved the band for 15 years, and I read some posts insided the tread. I simply wanted to respond. I fucked up. I never should have, because then I wouldnt have to deal with you assholes. And I know I could quit checking back, but I'm compelled to see what shit you're talking. I'm a glutton for punishment. Cut me a break, if you knew me, you'd love me.
Dont let these people get to you so much.I to have loved the band for around fifteen years to.I agree with you that the songs take on different meanings over time because you evolve with the music.I also agree with you about the one line critics.What are they doing just waiting for someones oppinion only to shit all over it.I thought probably like you that this would be a place for open minded conversation.So far this may not be the rock I thought it would be.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

This thread is random. I think most Tool fans are aware of what 3rd eye is about. I am all for different interpretations of Tool songs, but I don't understand why a thread was started just to clarify what everyone already knows. And the way the original poster phrased it, it sounded like he was defending 3rd eye to someone who posted an opposing interpretation. Weird.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursixandtwo View Post
This thread is random. I think most Tool fans are aware of what 3rd eye is about. I am all for different interpretations of Tool songs, but I don't understand why a thread was started just to clarify what everyone already knows. And the way the original poster phrased it, it sounded like he was defending 3rd eye to someone who posted an opposing interpretation. Weird.
Thank God not everyone here is tripping on nutmeg powder.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Welcome to Jr High
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcQHZfGaWA
Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursixandtwo View Post
i WAS replying to a post i read. I'm not message-board savvy enough to post it in the right place. Sorry. And I think it's weird that it bothers you.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
i WAS replying to a post i read. I'm not message-board savvy enough to post it in the right place. Sorry. And I think it's weird that it bothers you.
Hmm, well I think it is safe to say I have not seen any of these interpretations you speak of. And responding to a thread in the right place has nothing to do with being "internet savvy".

Just sayin'...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
drop d's the way to be

Quote:
I think you need to calm down man. I dont think anyone's intention was to cause offense when replying to your post. You have your opinion, in which you explained earlier. Everyone else is just doing the same.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

i like the song 3rd eye :)

row, row, row your boat....
Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
On Probation

Using Tool to kill and killing tool

So the other night I was drinking and smoking and having a fun time with some buddies and some others weren't when the topic of music came up. Some of the kids there knew I like tool and decided that was going to be their avenue of an attack they had planned for me. After mentioning a few bands this kid brings up Tool in a really sarcastic way just to be an asshole. "Tool is the greatest band of all time, no one is even close to them, i can't think of anyone ANYONE even close I mean wow they are so fucking cool" so after his little schpeel was done he asks me what I think thinking he has me slammed.

It was the first time someone tried to use Tool against me so I already knew what to do - kill tool, how do you kill tool you might ask? Simple Pink Floyd.

"Yeah Tool's a great band but they're a distant distant second to pink floyd, the Dark Side of the Moon album was on the charts for almost 800 weeks with no other album even coming close (johnny mathis is 2nd at 450wks) and The Wall is one of only three albums to sell more than 25 million copies so no, Tool's not the best band of all time Pink Floyd is."

A bit caught off guard he starts throwing out other random band names "what about Metallica how about AC/DC they're better than Floyd then there's Zeppelin, Kashmir is a hell of a lot better than Another Brick in the Wall or fucking comfortably numb" thinking he can use the logic that music is a matter of opinion and there is no such thing as the greatest band of all time, but he was crushed

"I'm not talking about another brick in the wall or Comfortably Numb or any of the 6 floyd songs you know from the radio I'm talking about Dogs, Pigs and SHEEP and one of my turns and The trial and waiting for the worms and mother fuckin' brain damage but that's not even what makes Pink Floyd so good - it's that they do songs that are like 15 minutes long and are actually good Like Shine on you Crazy Diamond, Echoes, Atom Mother Heart the entire Animals Album and they also pull off the radio shit that everyone knows over and over and over again and unlike with Tool or Metallica or any of the other monsters of rock it isn't the band that makes the band with Pink Floyd better than everyone else, it's Roger Waters. The dude is absolutely out of his mind in ways none of us will ever understand and probably one of the most creative people to ever walk the face of the planet so even though Syd Barret was great for his time and his place and David Gilmour made contributions all over the place and did a decent job with the Division Bell and A momentary lapse of Reason it's Roger Waters that really does make Pink Floyd better than everybody else. He's the freakin' Wayne Gretzky of musicians, no one is in the same league as that dude."

With Tool successfully killed off and every other band thrown out there smashed by the crazy brits the night went on and we moved over to sports feeding off my Wayne Gretzky comment. None of those guys knew hockey but we got into Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton and the night didn't really have any hiccups after that. Just beer drinking, pot smoking, card playing and few friendly jabs thrown here and there. What's funnier is an hour later Tool came back to life and silenced the whole room. The radio was on as background noise and Schism came on without anyone really noticing. Then at the end of the song all the conversations stopped simultaneously then right after the last "I know the pieces fit' my buddy goes "Good freakin tune" and the kid who tried using Tool as a weapon with me earlier goes "Who was that"? and my buddy goes "Tool"

It was awesome, he ends up getting put in his place by the very band he was trying to use to start a fight.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
drop d's the way to be

just goes to show you shouldnt dog on something until you know what your really talking about. good times man

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: