opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Shadow???

In my own interpertation, i think that maynard was talking about all the things we hate about ourselves. Check the FAQ, and see that SHADOW is the unconscious minds hatred for our own fears and despise. digging through and accepting ourselves will allow us to use our unused third eye, but we have to remember the things that created this shadow. do not run away when you start to recognize the unbearable, but allow yourself to bear it and that will only bring harmony and happiness. that is just what i pulled from the shrouding surrounding this self-awareness masterpiece. any comments, put downs, and insights will be a thoughtful addition to this collage of chaos.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: Shadow???

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertowed_tex View Post
In my own interpertation, i think that maynard was talking about all the things we hate about ourselves. Check the FAQ, and see that SHADOW is the unconscious minds hatred for our own fears and despise. digging through and accepting ourselves will allow us to use our unused third eye, but we have to remember the things that created this shadow. do not run away when you start to recognize the unbearable, but allow yourself to bear it and that will only bring harmony and happiness. that is just what i pulled from the shrouding surrounding this self-awareness masterpiece. any comments, put downs, and insights will be a thoughtful addition to this collage of chaos.
read carl gustav jung!

thats all...
Old 04-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

i think the grudge is similar.

grudges we hold against ourselves. that keep us from reaching our potential.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #4

Bincount™: 3

right on! :D
Old 04-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #5

what> oh sorry... i thought you had enough chaos, so i'd throw in the confusion.

on a somewhat relevant note that brings me to raise the point that anything that we may have a lacking of knowledge or familiarity with, in the name of not only human nature, but animal instinct as well, our first response (conscious or not), is to either fear or question. The psychological approach would probably bring us more towards interpreting the "shadow" on multiple planes of "existence" (physical, metaphysical, metaphorical, etc...). people respond to even the sight of their shadows in some pretty obscure ways, fear being one of them.

post scriptum: if anybody does decide to take into the literature of Carl Gustav Jung, i think you could compare your concept, to a tangible degree of course, to the archetype of the scarecrow.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_confusion View Post
what> oh sorry... i thought you had enough chaos, so i'd throw in the confusion.

on a somewhat relevant note that brings me to raise the point that anything that we may have a lacking of knowledge or familiarity with, in the name of not only human nature, but animal instinct as well, our first response (conscious or not), is to either fear or question. The psychological approach would probably bring us more towards interpreting the "shadow" on multiple planes of "existence" (physical, metaphysical, metaphorical, etc...). people respond to even the sight of their shadows in some pretty obscure ways, fear being one of them.

post scriptum: if anybody does decide to take into the literature of Carl Gustav Jung, i think you could compare your concept, to a tangible degree of course, to the archetype of the scarecrow.
Interesting, I have read some of Jung's theories, including the Archetypes and the Shadow, but I did not know about the archetype of the scarecrow, will make sure to look for it. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

I don't think this song is about the shadow at all.

“I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.” MJK

Hence PRYING open my third eye. Very violent and unnatural wording don't you think?

Also see: Rosetta Stoned

Last edited by ufopancakes; 02-14-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsellick View Post
I don't think this song is about the shadow at all.

“I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.” MJK

Hence PRYING open my third eye. Very violent and unnatural wording don't you think?

Also see: Rosetta Stoned
I definitely agree with this. Tool has made several allusions to this in many of their songs, I think.
And while this may be somewhat of a stretch, it makes me think of Lateralus, where the speaker has reached this sort of enlightenment and describes it in detail.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: