opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
i suck @ creativity

Bincount™: 43
Retail killed my faith in humanity

Park in the handicapped spot,
the one close to the door.
Forget the pregnant woman,
You weigh more.

You're winded before you enter,
better get one of those motorized carts.
Throttle wide open into Aisle 1,
your destructive consumption starts.

Take your free samples, coupons, trash, and throw them on the floor,
Disorganize the shelves, dismantle some merchandise
Put anything, anywhere you wish
Cleaning up after you is what the employees are for.

Your cart is spilling over, time to check out.
Be sure not to forget your discount.
Because a penny saved is a penny earned,
that earned penny shall soon be burned...
on something that you DO NOT need.

*I don't write much, constructive criticism would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 41
Re: Retail killed my faith in humanity

I don't know, I really like it , I'm not much in the way of critisizm, I love the title too. I gather you are discusted with glutony.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
i suck @ creativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotal digit
I don't know, I really like it , I'm not much in the way of critisizm, I love the title too. I gather you are discusted with glutony.
Thanks. Yea, the whole thing kind of pisses me off, guess I'm feeding the beast though. I know the structure is probably shitty or somethin, but I only spent about ten minutes on it.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDepth
Thanks. Yea, the whole thing kind of pisses me off, guess I'm feeding the beast though. I know the structure is probably shitty or somethin, but I only spent about ten minutes on it.
There are a couple of people here who can tell you about structure, I write how things sound good to me , I have no idea about formality , soory I can be of no help there, it reads well imo.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Yeah it is.

This actually reminds me of a conversation I had with some friends about how people can be such assholes to the employees about such small and simple mindless things.

It also reminds me of how much I hate 90+% of society.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoopy33
Yeah it is.

This actually reminds me of a conversation I had with some friends about how people can be such assholes to the employees about such small and simple mindless things.

It also reminds me of how much I hate 90+% of society.
dido. i work in retail and it never ceases to amaze me how arrogant, selfish, inconsiderate, moronic, rude and generally disgusting people are...

i love this... i guess mostly because i can relate to it... it articulates many of the things i dislike about customers...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 791

I work at a financial institution inside a retail giant (I won't say which one; some people will post crap about me strangling kittens)... so I see this on a day to day basis, and can appreciate that others see the humor in this as well.

Structure is a subjective standard in art... it is not always necessary or welcomed.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
swept underneath my skin

Bincount™: 1097

its definitly not a bad poem. now to argue a bit:

Handicap Parking: why should a cripple have legal right to park in a spot closer to McDonalds than a non-cripple? I can understand pharmacies, hospitals, maybe even grocery stores...but resturants? agencies? not to mention that every cripple I see parking in handicap spots aren't crippled at all. Far too often I see someone pull into a handicap spot with a handicap thing in their mirror and get out and walk in side. well...not too handicapped huh?

Disordering a Store: This really isn't an issue. The garbage truely does give the employees something to do because thats their JOB. I'm not saying you should go in a store and break things or litter, but the stores care nothing about you and only wants your money and makes too much of it to care about a broken jar or some litter on the floor.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 935

I really like the imagery and sentiment, your writing has a "voice".

Something is actually happening in the poem.

I like the first and third stanzas in particular.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat404
its definitly not a bad poem. now to argue a bit:

Disordering a Store: This really isn't an issue. The garbage truely does give the employees something to do because thats their JOB. I'm not saying you should go in a store and break things or litter, but the stores care nothing about you and only wants your money and makes too much of it to care about a broken jar or some litter on the floor.
Actually that's what my conversation with friends was about. It's kind of like, even though it is their job, there are days when there's enough to keep one busy and that just screws up their day, and other days where there is nothing to do and it can be something to pass the time, but you don't sign up to work in a *generic fast food chain* specifically to clean up after people, that's just an implied part of the job that there will be messy people who can't clean up after themselves. I mean even though it is their job, the only job that the customer has is to buy and leave which makes it the employee's main concern, and that other is just something that happens to need to be done. I do agree with you though LabRat404.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

sounds like you worked in one too many grocery stores
Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 AM   #12
i suck @ creativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie Cheat And Steal
sounds like you worked in one grocery store
actually
Old 08-11-2006, 05:37 AM   #13
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoopy33
Actually that's what my conversation with friends was about. It's kind of like, even though it is their job, there are days when there's enough to keep one busy and that just screws up their day, and other days where there is nothing to do and it can be something to pass the time, but you don't sign up to work in a *generic fast food chain* specifically to clean up after people, that's just an implied part of the job that there will be messy people who can't clean up after themselves. I mean even though it is their job, the only job that the customer has is to buy and leave which makes it the employee's main concern, and that other is just something that happens to need to be done. I do agree with you though LabRat404.
US Department of Labor states that your job description is defined by your employer anytime they wish. You're payed to do what you're payed to do. I'm sick of hearing peopel complain about their shitty jobs. "Oh I hate my job, my job sucks, I have to put up with shit I'm being payed to put up with ..." You're not a slave. you can always quit.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:49 AM   #14
i suck @ creativity

Quote:
US Department of Labor states that your job description is defined by your employer anytime they wish. You're payed to do what you're payed to do. I'm sick of hearing peopel complain about their shitty jobs. "Oh I hate my job, my job sucks, I have to put up with shit I'm being payed to put up with ..." You're not a slave. you can always quit.
I'm not complaining about my job, I'm complaining about assholes. You can say that is part of my job, which it is, but it impedes the true aspect of my job.

Sure I could just quit, but I decided to write about it...better finacial decision, imo.

Last edited by DeepDepth; 08-11-2006 at 05:55 AM..
Old 08-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #15
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDepth
I'm not complaining about my job, I'm complaining about assholes. You can say that is part of my job, which it is, but it impedes the true aspect of my job.

Sure I could just quit, but I decided to write about it...better finacial decision, imo.
Don't think I'm saying any of this directly to you, I've no beef with you. I'm jsut saying in general. haha, beef.

The customer is always right [as long as it is profitable]. Why? because if they aren't, you dont make money because your company doesn't get any business. if the customer is always right, everyone wins. some people have a problem with this and I jsut don't get it. I'm not saying treat people like shit...I'm just saying the customer is always right [as long as it is profitable].
Old 08-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #16
Banned.

Quote:
Don't think I'm saying any of this directly to you, I've no beef with you. I'm jsut saying in general. haha, beef.

The customer is always right [as long as it is profitable]. Why? because if they aren't, you dont make money because your company doesn't get any business. if the customer is always right, everyone wins. some people have a problem with this and I jsut don't get it. I'm not saying treat people like shit...I'm just saying the customer is always right [as long as it is profitable].
That's true but it still sucks.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:04 AM   #17
i suck @ creativity

Point taken, didn't mean to come of as an asshole.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:12 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

I'm going to school in hopes of never having to work with the public in a customer-service oriented job again. I've worked at restaurants, dept. stores, grocery stores, home improvement stores. You know, the jobs young people are relegated to. It's like being a stripper and wondering why you hate men (if you didn't already).

Actually, I wish sometimes I could just live off the land in this day and age and my only concerns were eating for the day. I'd like to build my own log cabin deep in the Appalachians.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #19
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Skiez
I'm going to school in hopes of never having to work with the public in a customer-service oriented job again. I've worked at restaurants, dept. stores, grocery stores, home improvement stores. You know, the jobs young people are relegated to. It's like being a stripper and wondering why you hate men (if you didn't already).

Actually, I wish sometimes I could just live off the land in this day and age and my only concerns were eating for the day. I'd like to build my own log cabin deep in the Appalachians.
first off, thats a goofy ass avatar you have.

secondly, just because you go to school doesn't mean you'll get a good job. You might drop out, not find any employers in your field, still hate what you're doing, any number of things.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #20
Banned.

Bincount™: 4

Thanks be to the Lard.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:50 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
first off, thats a goofy ass avatar you have.

secondly, just because you go to school doesn't mean you'll get a good job. You might drop out, not find any employers in your field, still hate what you're doing, any number of things.
1. What's wrong with having my own face as my avatar? You're saying I look goofy?

2. It's not likely I'll drop out in my senior year, especailly considering my particular circumstances which you of course have zero idea about. Nowhere in my description do I make any allusion to the fact that going to school will get me an overwhelmingly awesome job. All it says is that I don't want to have to do customer service stuff, which is quite likely in my predicament. Believe me, I know that college doesn't guarantee anything anymore, but that goes without saying.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:11 AM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

deepdepth this poem was funny as hell, last stanza kind of lacked what the previous stanzas had in terms of satire. Overall very enjoyable.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:21 AM   #23
i suck @ creativity

Thanks Choke, I appreciate it.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #24
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Skiez
1. What's wrong with having my own face as my avatar? You're saying I look goofy?

2. It's not likely I'll drop out in my senior year, especailly considering my particular circumstances which you of course have zero idea about. Nowhere in my description do I make any allusion to the fact that going to school will get me an overwhelmingly awesome job. All it says is that I don't want to have to do customer service stuff, which is quite likely in my predicament. Believe me, I know that college doesn't guarantee anything anymore, but that goes without saying.
1.) you looked goofy.

2.) thats irrelevant, as I was speaking in general.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #25
swept underneath my skin

humanity killed my faith in humanity
Old 08-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #26
Banned.

Quote:
humanity killed my faith in humanity
Your MOM killed my faith in humanity...OOOH daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang! That was some fresh material. Just kidding.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #27
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose
Your MOM killed my faith in humanity...OOOH daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang! That was some fresh material. Just kidding.
no you werent.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #28
Banned.

Quote:
no you werent.
Damn...you caught me.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread