Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Aenima7988's Avatar Aenima7988
08-03-2008, 01:21 AM

I know, we're still waiting for the live DVD, and I would rather see that. But is there any chance Tool would put out a DVD-Audio version of 10,000 days (or any of their albums)? if you don't know what that is, it's basically the HD form of audio.
speaking of the dvd, i can't imagine why they're holding off on it. what are they afraid of? making money? vicarious was cool, but they'd have been better off putting all that efford into a live dvd.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15
Dvd audio/live dvd

I know, we're still waiting for the live DVD, and I would rather see that. But is there any chance Tool would put out a DVD-Audio version of 10,000 days (or any of their albums)? if you don't know what that is, it's basically the HD form of audio.
speaking of the dvd, i can't imagine why they're holding off on it. what are they afraid of? making money? vicarious was cool, but they'd have been better off putting all that efford into a live dvd.
OFFLINE |  
Kody27
08-03-2008, 06:27 AM

i use to sell dvd audio at circuit city years ago, it wasn't very popular but very high quality. what if they made blue ray audio players, now that would be something tool would consider, like a 7.1 blue ray release, insane.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 7
Re: Dvd audio/live dvd

i use to sell dvd audio at circuit city years ago, it wasn't very popular but very high quality. what if they made blue ray audio players, now that would be something tool would consider, like a 7.1 blue ray release, insane.
OFFLINE |  
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
08-26-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenima7988 View Post
After exposing my eardrums to music for years, buying a higher quality of music would be just a waste of money.

Quote:
After seeing Puscifer flourish, i definately think there is at least one of them NOT afraid of making money, imo.

Last edited by Rolo; 08-26-2008 at 07:36 PM..
Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
After exposing my eardrums to music for years, buying a higher quality of music would be just a waste of money.

Quote:
After seeing Puscifer flourish, i definately think there is at least one of them NOT afraid of making money, imo.

Last edited by Rolo; 08-26-2008 at 07:36 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
08-26-2008, 07:36 PM

allthough the market for hd video is relatively high, most people won't take advantage of hd audio because of the mp3 market. People are still misinformed about sound, and even if they bought such quality audio, they couldn't tell the difference because their equipment (speakers, etc) won't take advantage of it

Secondly, vinyl albums are pretty on par with this idea, and are making a comeback

In either case, it's an audiophile thing
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

allthough the market for hd video is relatively high, most people won't take advantage of hd audio because of the mp3 market. People are still misinformed about sound, and even if they bought such quality audio, they couldn't tell the difference because their equipment (speakers, etc) won't take advantage of it

Secondly, vinyl albums are pretty on par with this idea, and are making a comeback

In either case, it's an audiophile thing
08-27-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
what are they afraid of? making money? vicarious was cool, but they'd have been better off putting all that efford into a live dvd.

I think its a safe bet that money is well on the backburner for Tool (even though thats not entirely necessary to maintain artistic integrity).

When asked about why they aren't making a live DVD, Maynard replied (something like this) "Have you ever seen pictures of the grand canyon? Now, have you been there in person? When you go there, you understand why its so amazing, and that its so much different than just seeing a picture of it. You understand why its something special"

And by that, I totally agree. No live DVD will ever be able to capture the Tool experiance. And I think they have the right attitude about it. "You want to see us? Then fucking come see us."
Old 08-27-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
what are they afraid of? making money? vicarious was cool, but they'd have been better off putting all that efford into a live dvd.

I think its a safe bet that money is well on the backburner for Tool (even though thats not entirely necessary to maintain artistic integrity).

When asked about why they aren't making a live DVD, Maynard replied (something like this) "Have you ever seen pictures of the grand canyon? Now, have you been there in person? When you go there, you understand why its so amazing, and that its so much different than just seeing a picture of it. You understand why its something special"

And by that, I totally agree. No live DVD will ever be able to capture the Tool experiance. And I think they have the right attitude about it. "You want to see us? Then fucking come see us."
08-27-2008, 07:51 AM

so then they should just go on another huge tour and charge the cost of a dvd for admission ;)

to save them the hassle of making a live dvd
Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

so then they should just go on another huge tour and charge the cost of a dvd for admission ;)

to save them the hassle of making a live dvd
08-27-2008, 08:03 AM

if they do ever decide to release a live dvd. it will be awesome.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

if they do ever decide to release a live dvd. it will be awesome.
OFFLINE |  
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post

The problem with that though is not everybody can travel across the world to see them live where ever they may happen to be at that time. I would love to see them live as much as I can but I could only afford to do so the one or two times they're in my city during the tour. I agree, a DVD will never supplant the actual live experience but it's the next best thing to watch to relive or reflect I should say on that experience. Why do people take videos of their kids or pictures of things, so they can remember the time. A DVD you can pop in whenever you want to reflect that experience.

I see both sides to it, I just think they should do it anyways. It's not like anybodys going to stop wanting to actually see them live just because they have a Live DVD at home. That's ridiculous.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post

The problem with that though is not everybody can travel across the world to see them live where ever they may happen to be at that time. I would love to see them live as much as I can but I could only afford to do so the one or two times they're in my city during the tour. I agree, a DVD will never supplant the actual live experience but it's the next best thing to watch to relive or reflect I should say on that experience. Why do people take videos of their kids or pictures of things, so they can remember the time. A DVD you can pop in whenever you want to reflect that experience.

I see both sides to it, I just think they should do it anyways. It's not like anybodys going to stop wanting to actually see them live just because they have a Live DVD at home. That's ridiculous.
08-27-2008, 09:19 AM

the hallucinogenetics dvd from primus only makes me like them that much more.

i think tools dvd can be just as thought provoking, and a true masterpiece to watch and listen.

i dunno if i like the idea of 6 different shows put together made to look like one. i know they filmed at 6 of the last shows. plus others.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

the hallucinogenetics dvd from primus only makes me like them that much more.

i think tools dvd can be just as thought provoking, and a true masterpiece to watch and listen.

i dunno if i like the idea of 6 different shows put together made to look like one. i know they filmed at 6 of the last shows. plus others.
OFFLINE |  
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
08-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

Even a live-cd would be welcome, imo. I really enjoyed the live tracks of Salival. The positive aspect of an audio recorded live show is that they don't have to worry about not capturing the visual part of the live experience.

Stick it in your audiosystem, put on yer headphones, close your eyes and imagine beeing there...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Jedi Master

Quote:

Even a live-cd would be welcome, imo. I really enjoyed the live tracks of Salival. The positive aspect of an audio recorded live show is that they don't have to worry about not capturing the visual part of the live experience.

Stick it in your audiosystem, put on yer headphones, close your eyes and imagine beeing there...
08-28-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

FUCK THAT, I wanna see it too
Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

08-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I want a live-DVD with a live CD as a bonus!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
Jedi Master

Quote:
I want a live-DVD with a live CD as a bonus!
09-11-2008, 06:38 PM

So, would the footage only be from shows post-10KD?

I remember reading someone say they saw cameras filming the shows back during the Lateralus tour. I'd much rather watch a show from that era
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

So, would the footage only be from shows post-10KD?

I remember reading someone say they saw cameras filming the shows back during the Lateralus tour. I'd much rather watch a show from that era
OFFLINE |  
fawks
09-15-2008, 01:58 AM

Could this be what has been in the pipeline all along?

http://www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/4...w/Product.html
Old 09-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

OFFLINE |  
theamazingtool's Avatar theamazingtool
09-15-2008, 07:50 AM

huh. interesting. i wonder if this is another knockoff, bullshit, call it what you will release like others on that same page(maximum TOOL, the lowdown...wtf!?)or if this may actually be something notable. by the sounds of the description there is no new material, other than perhaps a 'rare' performance(another live version of pre-released song). im not banking on it being anything worthy.

huh...

Last edited by theamazingtool; 09-15-2008 at 07:52 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

huh. interesting. i wonder if this is another knockoff, bullshit, call it what you will release like others on that same page(maximum TOOL, the lowdown...wtf!?)or if this may actually be something notable. by the sounds of the description there is no new material, other than perhaps a 'rare' performance(another live version of pre-released song). im not banking on it being anything worthy.

huh...

Last edited by theamazingtool; 09-15-2008 at 07:52 AM..
OFFLINE |  
09-15-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post

huh...
Ten dollars says it's a bootleg or some bullshit DVD.

The Revolver Magazine featuring Tool came out not too long ago, and the cover looks like it borrows an image from that Magazine. Also, anything current with Tool should feature artwork by Alex Grey - I doubt they would resort to artwork dating back to the Undertow era.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #16

Quote:

huh...
Ten dollars says it's a bootleg or some bullshit DVD.

The Revolver Magazine featuring Tool came out not too long ago, and the cover looks like it borrows an image from that Magazine. Also, anything current with Tool should feature artwork by Alex Grey - I doubt they would resort to artwork dating back to the Undertow era.
09-15-2008, 09:52 AM

They should just put a DVD out allready. I know they've filmed a lot and there's no doubt in my mind they have some killer footage they could piece together. It might not be the same as being at a show, but it would be pretty damn close. So why not??
Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

They should just put a DVD out allready. I know they've filmed a lot and there's no doubt in my mind they have some killer footage they could piece together. It might not be the same as being at a show, but it would be pretty damn close. So why not??
OFFLINE |  
09-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by base metal View Post
It might not be the same as being at a show, but it would be pretty damn close.
are you fucking kidding me? it would be a safe bet that you have not been to one of their shows. i cant even believe that you could compare watching a DVD to seeing TOOL in concert. i cant even begin to describe how truly amazing seeing them live was. besides seeing those four with your OWN EYES in front of you, doing what they do best; through some of the worlds best audio equipment, so loud you think your ears are going to bleed. the visuals on the screen mixed the incredible light show had me convinced i was hallucinating. the crowd going nuts at the end of each song. the overall atmospere. did i mention seeing them and hearing them IN PERSON?

nah, id rather watch the DVD...
Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by base metal View Post
It might not be the same as being at a show, but it would be pretty damn close.
are you fucking kidding me? it would be a safe bet that you have not been to one of their shows. i cant even believe that you could compare watching a DVD to seeing TOOL in concert. i cant even begin to describe how truly amazing seeing them live was. besides seeing those four with your OWN EYES in front of you, doing what they do best; through some of the worlds best audio equipment, so loud you think your ears are going to bleed. the visuals on the screen mixed the incredible light show had me convinced i was hallucinating. the crowd going nuts at the end of each song. the overall atmospere. did i mention seeing them and hearing them IN PERSON?

OFFLINE |  
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
09-15-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:

LOL!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
Jedi Master

Quote:

LOL!
09-15-2008, 11:24 AM

What? I've seen 'em live a number of times. Of course no DVD will be just like being at the show. It would, however, top pretty much any other live DVD.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #20
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

What? I've seen 'em live a number of times. Of course no DVD will be just like being at the show. It would, however, top pretty much any other live DVD.
OFFLINE |  
09-15-2008, 01:02 PM

Mostly because I can't afford a show would the DVD be awesome.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #21

Mostly because I can't afford a show would the DVD be awesome.
09-16-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawks View Post

Interesting. It's plausible. They did say that if they were to release something live they didn't just want it to be a bunch of live shows that it would have more to it.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #22
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawks View Post

Interesting. It's plausible. They did say that if they were to release something live they didn't just want it to be a bunch of live shows that it would have more to it.
09-21-2008, 02:02 PM

heres why there wont be a live dvd, taken from a music industry insider forum:

"I think the "no performance footage" rule will come to bite them in the ass big-time. A second hand source directly from a band member told me that they didn't film the 10,000 Days tour for DVD or archive in any form - plus they only have stereo soundboards from every show, nothing multitrack. They had planned to shoot the Vegas shows in early 2007, but the drummer got hurt. Remember, that all venues/festivals with jumbotrons had all cameras put away or pointed at the sky.

Some shows were shot for Lateralus.

Except for 5 minutes from 1993, there is NOTHING proshot circulating of TOOL performing. Everything you've seen is single camera by an audience member or a the odd news crew in the mid 90's. "
Ben Affleck was really good in that movie.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #23
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

heres why there wont be a live dvd, taken from a music industry insider forum:

"I think the "no performance footage" rule will come to bite them in the ass big-time. A second hand source directly from a band member told me that they didn't film the 10,000 Days tour for DVD or archive in any form - plus they only have stereo soundboards from every show, nothing multitrack. They had planned to shoot the Vegas shows in early 2007, but the drummer got hurt. Remember, that all venues/festivals with jumbotrons had all cameras put away or pointed at the sky.

Some shows were shot for Lateralus.

Except for 5 minutes from 1993, there is NOTHING proshot circulating of TOOL performing. Everything you've seen is single camera by an audience member or a the odd news crew in the mid 90's. "
Ben Affleck was really good in that movie.
OFFLINE |  
09-21-2008, 02:07 PM

OH...OK
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #24
Level 9 - Obstreperous

OH...OK
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread