Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
bewilder me's Avatar bewilder me
05-25-2006, 06:07 PM

nothing suprises me with this album. not the titles and especially not the fact that its just as deep as the rest.

the collective
SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH EXPLORING DIFFERENT AREAS OF OUR CONSCIOUSNESS. common sence would lead me to believe that looking at myself and the world from as many different angles or perspectives as possible would give me the best and most true understanding of the way it works or its purpose for exsisting.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #161
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: The condensed "discussion about the title one way or another" thread

nothing suprises me with this album. not the titles and especially not the fact that its just as deep as the rest.

the collective
SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH EXPLORING DIFFERENT AREAS OF OUR CONSCIOUSNESS. common sence would lead me to believe that looking at myself and the world from as many different angles or perspectives as possible would give me the best and most true understanding of the way it works or its purpose for exsisting.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Chambers101
05-25-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
You know, I don't care what lesson any member of the band has tried to teach me or anyone else that will listen, by implying/stating that track and album titles are not important, but for me, they are.

The title is sort of a defining point or thought reference of a song (or an album). It either closes off irrelevant notions about the song (as in, this song is called ticks and leeches, therefore it is not about warm thanksgiving dinners), or gives the listener a broad inspiring open-ended setting to start from as he listens (when you know the title of a song is PARABOLA, or LATERALUS, you don't correllate anything in particular to the song as the titles are just so mysterious and open-ended, that your mind generates it's own thoughts and emotions, inspired by the broadness of the title.

Having said that, the titles we've been told as of now, especially the title of the new album just doesnt sit well. They have no ispiring or interesting base to work from and for me feel like, that when I listen to the new album and remember the title of the great song i just heard, it'll be kind of a downer, "well... yeah... Lost Keys.. whatever..".

Maybe im just analyzing this shit a bit too much instead of letting the music be the music, but its understandable seeing as thats all we have right now are titles, and no music.

Anyone else not feeling the titles of the new album?
I know how you feel. I think the album is incredible but I have a friend who says the album just doesnt have the same depth as lateralus and I replied with, "I agree with you, and I think its because this album is less ambiguous and the theme is not as cohesive throughout the entire album as lateralus was (+ its not as exact as lateralus in terms of writing); however, the album is sooo emotional, that I still get the same feeling as I do with lateralus." To me, I truely believe that the album isnt as good as lateralus (to some) because it doesnt contain as much depth in terms of my quote above. But, I feel if people really take the time to analyze WhAt the band is saying and HoW they are saying it, people can achieve the same level of love and appreciation for this album as previous ones, just in a different manner.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #162
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: The condensed "discussion about the title one way or another" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
You know, I don't care what lesson any member of the band has tried to teach me or anyone else that will listen, by implying/stating that track and album titles are not important, but for me, they are.

The title is sort of a defining point or thought reference of a song (or an album). It either closes off irrelevant notions about the song (as in, this song is called ticks and leeches, therefore it is not about warm thanksgiving dinners), or gives the listener a broad inspiring open-ended setting to start from as he listens (when you know the title of a song is PARABOLA, or LATERALUS, you don't correllate anything in particular to the song as the titles are just so mysterious and open-ended, that your mind generates it's own thoughts and emotions, inspired by the broadness of the title.

Having said that, the titles we've been told as of now, especially the title of the new album just doesnt sit well. They have no ispiring or interesting base to work from and for me feel like, that when I listen to the new album and remember the title of the great song i just heard, it'll be kind of a downer, "well... yeah... Lost Keys.. whatever..".

Maybe im just analyzing this shit a bit too much instead of letting the music be the music, but its understandable seeing as thats all we have right now are titles, and no music.

Anyone else not feeling the titles of the new album?
I know how you feel. I think the album is incredible but I have a friend who says the album just doesnt have the same depth as lateralus and I replied with, "I agree with you, and I think its because this album is less ambiguous and the theme is not as cohesive throughout the entire album as lateralus was (+ its not as exact as lateralus in terms of writing); however, the album is sooo emotional, that I still get the same feeling as I do with lateralus." To me, I truely believe that the album isnt as good as lateralus (to some) because it doesnt contain as much depth in terms of my quote above. But, I feel if people really take the time to analyze WhAt the band is saying and HoW they are saying it, people can achieve the same level of love and appreciation for this album as previous ones, just in a different manner.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply