Vicarious
Eon blue
The Patient
Intolerance!!!!
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Aenema

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 06-21-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553
06.19.2010 - New Orleans, LA @ UNO Arena

Third eye!!!!!
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon blue
The Patient
Intolerance!!!!
Schism
46 & 2
Lateralus
Aenema

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 06-21-2010 at 05:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  
$avage's Avatar $avage
06-20-2010, 11:51 AM

Hiya. I was sitting in Section D (A bit to the right of the stage). I immediately noticed the screens on the ceiling, as well as the usual screens behind the band.. plus more screens on the side.. and I just felt something different about to tonight. I've seen tool in Baton Rouge/New Orleans every time they came since 2006, which happened to be twice.. but this one blew the other two out the water.

I'll start by saying Wovenhand was interesting, but I think they're meant for a smaller stage and more intimate setting. I'd describe them as heavy foreign folk music.

Then, 15 minutes after Wovenhand departed.. Timothy Leary's appeared in a yellow/red/green distorted and graphically altered state chanting the words "think for yourself.. question authority." The known speech kicked that anyone who has heard Salival will recognize, and the band came out to an eruption of applause. They went straight into Third Eye, and maynard started snapping shots of people with his cellphone (iphone?)... he was about to take Adam's picture, when he realized he had to sing and started into Third Eye a line late, then finished his picture taking with Adam. This song was epic.. and completely unexpected. I can't begin to describe the energy of the song, which only set up the energy for the entire night. Best concert I've been too. I'd had begin to think we'd get the same ole' same ole' but I was mistaken and apologize!

I'd like to ask anyone who questions Maynard's dedication to the band to just flat out stop. He was active, moving around and dancing and really appeared to be having a good time. He also was hitting notes and sounded stellar. Sure, he wasn't bolting yells all the time, but I don't think anyone expects him to. He was out there giving it his all, and really brought the energy. He had a wine bottle, which I assume was Puscifer, and said "Cheers" and started drinking shortly after Jambi.

We get extended Stinkfist and the show just kept rocking.

From here, Jambi was as per usual. Although Amazing as always.

Vicarious featuring Maynard's megaphone

Eon -> Patient and HOLY SHIT. It sounded spectacular and Maynard killed it! New Visuals and just unreal to know that you're not getting 'just the motions' like many felt from 10k Days. This was a collection of amazing songs from one of the greatest bands ever, and it was so rewarding to feel this way.

"Do you guys believe in Time Travel? I believe in time travel" in the most hick Louisiana accent ever spoken. Then, a 3D Undertow logo came in the video screen and Intolerance saw the light of day! Such an epic song and timeless song. Maynard sounded extraordinary, as did the whole band the entire night.

Schism was up next, which I thought was the lackluster part of the night. The whole show was rocking and this seemed to be the only drag, atleast for me, during the show. I just can't get excited for this song anymore, but that's my fault. They did extend it, and it was obviously enjoyable.. just not as exciting.

46&2 was dope, as usual too. They had video screens come down from the rafters and land behind Justin and Adam, as if to show this creature walking behind them.. really neat.

Then Intermission with the most trippy video and sound I've ever heard in my life. Describing it won't do it justice.. just go see it. This video/intermission > Schism. Just saying.

The band retook the stage and out came Lateralus in all of it's glory. For a moment, I thought this would be the closer as it ended with white lights shining everywhere, almost giving off the illusion of house lights. However, 10 seconds later it got dark and the whispers of "Hey Hey Hey Hey..." came and the entire fucking building just went apeshit. Incredible vibe all night and energy and the band brought it.

Best show ever for me, and I felt like I got a real tool show. Not something scripted, or not a 'this is what we're playing' vibe.. just a big party and energy filled show full of surprises and good times.

Maynardisms:
"For the next 2 hours, you're going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay." which was right after the entire building was having seizures from Third Eye.

After Jambi he had his bottle of wine out and said "Cheers."

Right before Intolerance he said "Y'all believe in time travel? I believe in time travel." In a huge hick accent.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.19.2010 - New Orleans, LA @ UNO Arena

Hiya. I was sitting in Section D (A bit to the right of the stage). I immediately noticed the screens on the ceiling, as well as the usual screens behind the band.. plus more screens on the side.. and I just felt something different about to tonight. I've seen tool in Baton Rouge/New Orleans every time they came since 2006, which happened to be twice.. but this one blew the other two out the water.

I'll start by saying Wovenhand was interesting, but I think they're meant for a smaller stage and more intimate setting. I'd describe them as heavy foreign folk music.

Then, 15 minutes after Wovenhand departed.. Timothy Leary's appeared in a yellow/red/green distorted and graphically altered state chanting the words "think for yourself.. question authority." The known speech kicked that anyone who has heard Salival will recognize, and the band came out to an eruption of applause. They went straight into Third Eye, and maynard started snapping shots of people with his cellphone (iphone?)... he was about to take Adam's picture, when he realized he had to sing and started into Third Eye a line late, then finished his picture taking with Adam. This song was epic.. and completely unexpected. I can't begin to describe the energy of the song, which only set up the energy for the entire night. Best concert I've been too. I'd had begin to think we'd get the same ole' same ole' but I was mistaken and apologize!

I'd like to ask anyone who questions Maynard's dedication to the band to just flat out stop. He was active, moving around and dancing and really appeared to be having a good time. He also was hitting notes and sounded stellar. Sure, he wasn't bolting yells all the time, but I don't think anyone expects him to. He was out there giving it his all, and really brought the energy. He had a wine bottle, which I assume was Puscifer, and said "Cheers" and started drinking shortly after Jambi.

We get extended Stinkfist and the show just kept rocking.

From here, Jambi was as per usual. Although Amazing as always.

Vicarious featuring Maynard's megaphone

Eon -> Patient and HOLY SHIT. It sounded spectacular and Maynard killed it! New Visuals and just unreal to know that you're not getting 'just the motions' like many felt from 10k Days. This was a collection of amazing songs from one of the greatest bands ever, and it was so rewarding to feel this way.

"Do you guys believe in Time Travel? I believe in time travel" in the most hick Louisiana accent ever spoken. Then, a 3D Undertow logo came in the video screen and Intolerance saw the light of day! Such an epic song and timeless song. Maynard sounded extraordinary, as did the whole band the entire night.

Schism was up next, which I thought was the lackluster part of the night. The whole show was rocking and this seemed to be the only drag, atleast for me, during the show. I just can't get excited for this song anymore, but that's my fault. They did extend it, and it was obviously enjoyable.. just not as exciting.

46&2 was dope, as usual too. They had video screens come down from the rafters and land behind Justin and Adam, as if to show this creature walking behind them.. really neat.

Then Intermission with the most trippy video and sound I've ever heard in my life. Describing it won't do it justice.. just go see it. This video/intermission > Schism. Just saying.

The band retook the stage and out came Lateralus in all of it's glory. For a moment, I thought this would be the closer as it ended with white lights shining everywhere, almost giving off the illusion of house lights. However, 10 seconds later it got dark and the whispers of "Hey Hey Hey Hey..." came and the entire fucking building just went apeshit. Incredible vibe all night and energy and the band brought it.

Best show ever for me, and I felt like I got a real tool show. Not something scripted, or not a 'this is what we're playing' vibe.. just a big party and energy filled show full of surprises and good times.

Maynardisms:
"For the next 2 hours, you're going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay." which was right after the entire building was having seizures from Third Eye.

After Jambi he had his bottle of wine out and said "Cheers."

Right before Intolerance he said "Y'all believe in time travel? I believe in time travel." In a huge hick accent.
OFFLINE |  
Markr1117
06-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Perfect review savage. This show was stupid good. Thank you Tool
Old 06-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Perfect review savage. This show was stupid good. Thank you Tool
OFFLINE |  
4stringaxe's Avatar 4stringaxe
06-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Been waiting to see this band again for years, and I was not disappointed...Well, mostly. But more on that later. For starters, I met some really cool people before the show, hung out in the parking lot, and eventually ended up taking a mushroom choco-pop before the show. Needless to say, I was in for a great time. I can't really fairly review the opening band, since I was standing in the merch line the entire time. But by the time I got my stiff drink and went to my seat (floor left, row 9), the show was about to start.

The anticipation in the crowd was palpable, the lights went down, and then I heard a familiar voice: "Think for yourself, question authority"
Timothy Leary appears in an amalgamation of trippy colors as if in a dream, as the band takes to the stage one at a time. Danny was in the same Lakers getup he was wearing when I saw them back in '07, Maynard wearing a baseball cap with a shirt that read "Postal" across the back, and a megaphone strapped to his hip. Adam looking clean cut in a white button down, and I couldn't quite see what justin was wearing, but he was brimming with energy.

Anyway, Third Eye ensued and was every bit as enthralling as you would imagine. The ending was extended so it was a bit longer than the album version.

"For next two hours, we're gonna stand up here, and pretend everything is alright. Cheers."

Jambi.

Not much new to say about this one, saw it back in '07 and was just as amazing this time. I was disappointed in the crowd for not jumping during the breakdown riff, but I blame the security.

Give me a minute to rant about the security. It was a total. fucking. buzzkill. It was as if they just wanted us all to stand at attention and calmly watch the show. Every 30 seconds or so, I was having a stupid flashlight shined in my face. Anyone standing on their seats was ordered to get back on the floor. Overall, a disappointing and timid crowd, but again, I blame the security.

After Jambi, they did a deceptive intro, and it sounded as if they were about to play "Intension" but then they kicked off Stinkfist, which I saw last time as well. Still amazing, incredible energy from the band on stage.

Another trippy instrumental mindfuck, and then Vicarious. Again, lots and lots of energy from the crowd here, and near the end, maynard let the crowd sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I"

Eon blue + Patient. Crowd went fucking nuts. I have never seen them play this live, and I am really grateful that they did. Spot on performance by all members of the band.

"Ya'll believe in time travel?...

I believe in time travel"

Intolerance, and it was incredible. Adam was brilliant on the guitar.

Then the intermission. Background visuals was a very colorful, intricate web, with ambient droning that went on for long enough to make the note changes profound. At times the bass was deep enough to rattle my soul.

Trippy instrumental mindfuck, then Schism, which was excellent. Crowd went wild as expected. The 'quiet' part was extended excellently, lots and lots of energy.

Tool loves their transitions, and to keep the crowd guessing. after more fooling about with trippy sounds, they went into 46 & 2, which was just as awesome as when I saw it last time. Not really much new to say here either.

Lateralus, with an extended intro, was amazing as always, with an excellent light show to accompany it. I thought this was going to be it, but then

"Everything is going to work out." (at least I think this is where he says it, I could be wrong)

"....hey hey hey hey hey"

Aenema, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. What a fitting city to play such a song in, learn to swim.

Anyway, whole show was incredible. but not for my complaints.

First off, the crowd was much too timid, at least down on the floor where I was. Security was getting on everyone's nerves. There was one guy next to me enjoying himself, and my friend moved to the row in front of me, leaving me standing next to a statue of a man who literally just stood there with his arms crossed the whole time, just being a pillar of negative energy. Really wasn't an enjoyable person to share such an experience with. Maynard seemed to share my thoughts on the general attitude, because he got the fuck out really, really quick. I can't say I blame him. The rest of the band lingered briefly, and I am incredibly jealous of my friend who I went with, who disappeared to the front row at the end of the show, at which point a pumped up Danny ran by, shook him by the shoulders, and shook his hand. Lucky bastard.

I eagerly await their return, I would love to ride the spiral again soon.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Been waiting to see this band again for years, and I was not disappointed...Well, mostly. But more on that later. For starters, I met some really cool people before the show, hung out in the parking lot, and eventually ended up taking a mushroom choco-pop before the show. Needless to say, I was in for a great time. I can't really fairly review the opening band, since I was standing in the merch line the entire time. But by the time I got my stiff drink and went to my seat (floor left, row 9), the show was about to start.

The anticipation in the crowd was palpable, the lights went down, and then I heard a familiar voice: "Think for yourself, question authority"
Timothy Leary appears in an amalgamation of trippy colors as if in a dream, as the band takes to the stage one at a time. Danny was in the same Lakers getup he was wearing when I saw them back in '07, Maynard wearing a baseball cap with a shirt that read "Postal" across the back, and a megaphone strapped to his hip. Adam looking clean cut in a white button down, and I couldn't quite see what justin was wearing, but he was brimming with energy.

Anyway, Third Eye ensued and was every bit as enthralling as you would imagine. The ending was extended so it was a bit longer than the album version.

"For next two hours, we're gonna stand up here, and pretend everything is alright. Cheers."

Jambi.

Not much new to say about this one, saw it back in '07 and was just as amazing this time. I was disappointed in the crowd for not jumping during the breakdown riff, but I blame the security.

Give me a minute to rant about the security. It was a total. fucking. buzzkill. It was as if they just wanted us all to stand at attention and calmly watch the show. Every 30 seconds or so, I was having a stupid flashlight shined in my face. Anyone standing on their seats was ordered to get back on the floor. Overall, a disappointing and timid crowd, but again, I blame the security.

After Jambi, they did a deceptive intro, and it sounded as if they were about to play "Intension" but then they kicked off Stinkfist, which I saw last time as well. Still amazing, incredible energy from the band on stage.

Another trippy instrumental mindfuck, and then Vicarious. Again, lots and lots of energy from the crowd here, and near the end, maynard let the crowd sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I"

Eon blue + Patient. Crowd went fucking nuts. I have never seen them play this live, and I am really grateful that they did. Spot on performance by all members of the band.

"Ya'll believe in time travel?...

I believe in time travel"

Intolerance, and it was incredible. Adam was brilliant on the guitar.

Then the intermission. Background visuals was a very colorful, intricate web, with ambient droning that went on for long enough to make the note changes profound. At times the bass was deep enough to rattle my soul.

Trippy instrumental mindfuck, then Schism, which was excellent. Crowd went wild as expected. The 'quiet' part was extended excellently, lots and lots of energy.

Tool loves their transitions, and to keep the crowd guessing. after more fooling about with trippy sounds, they went into 46 & 2, which was just as awesome as when I saw it last time. Not really much new to say here either.

Lateralus, with an extended intro, was amazing as always, with an excellent light show to accompany it. I thought this was going to be it, but then

"Everything is going to work out." (at least I think this is where he says it, I could be wrong)

"....hey hey hey hey hey"

Aenema, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. What a fitting city to play such a song in, learn to swim.

Anyway, whole show was incredible. but not for my complaints.

First off, the crowd was much too timid, at least down on the floor where I was. Security was getting on everyone's nerves. There was one guy next to me enjoying himself, and my friend moved to the row in front of me, leaving me standing next to a statue of a man who literally just stood there with his arms crossed the whole time, just being a pillar of negative energy. Really wasn't an enjoyable person to share such an experience with. Maynard seemed to share my thoughts on the general attitude, because he got the fuck out really, really quick. I can't say I blame him. The rest of the band lingered briefly, and I am incredibly jealous of my friend who I went with, who disappeared to the front row at the end of the show, at which point a pumped up Danny ran by, shook him by the shoulders, and shook his hand. Lucky bastard.

I eagerly await their return, I would love to ride the spiral again soon.
OFFLINE |  
91mini
06-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stringaxe View Post
First off, the crowd was much too timid, at least down on the floor where I was. Security was getting on everyone's nerves.
I blame UNO for this. Seats on the floor? Give me a break! I was not fortunate enough to obtain floor seats but a friend of mine was and he gave the same report. The seats were too close together making moving around all but impossible without fear of tripping or falling over. He went to the back of the floor area and stood to be more comfortable. Even if your not into the moshing and crowd surfing aspect of a rock show how can you expect a crowd to get into the music by standing side by side in single file like a bunch of robots. I'm sure Tool loved see a floor full of drones.

Security was the strictest I've seen at any venue. The guy in front of me had his cell phone battery taken out of it and confiscated while the girl next to him smoked a joint and watched and nothing was said to her. Concerts are not what they used to be.

As for the setlist. Enough cannot be said. Amazing setlist and well executed. Adam seemed to not be on his A game and missed quite a few pivotal notes but all together a good show. Special effects, lighting, and vocals were amazing. The last 2 times that I seen Tool you could barely here Maynards voice over the mushy, muddy sound coming out of the speakers.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
First off, the crowd was much too timid, at least down on the floor where I was. Security was getting on everyone's nerves.
I blame UNO for this. Seats on the floor? Give me a break! I was not fortunate enough to obtain floor seats but a friend of mine was and he gave the same report. The seats were too close together making moving around all but impossible without fear of tripping or falling over. He went to the back of the floor area and stood to be more comfortable. Even if your not into the moshing and crowd surfing aspect of a rock show how can you expect a crowd to get into the music by standing side by side in single file like a bunch of robots. I'm sure Tool loved see a floor full of drones.

Security was the strictest I've seen at any venue. The guy in front of me had his cell phone battery taken out of it and confiscated while the girl next to him smoked a joint and watched and nothing was said to her. Concerts are not what they used to be.

As for the setlist. Enough cannot be said. Amazing setlist and well executed. Adam seemed to not be on his A game and missed quite a few pivotal notes but all together a good show. Special effects, lighting, and vocals were amazing. The last 2 times that I seen Tool you could barely here Maynards voice over the mushy, muddy sound coming out of the speakers.
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
06-20-2010, 02:11 PM

TOOL CONCERT #26.

First of all let me start by mentioning that New Orleans has been the greatest city I’ve had the pleasure of visiting in the few years I’ve tried to follow tool around. Words cannot describe the incredible vibe and atmosphere of NOLA. It’s a very similar feeling to Las Vegas – touristy, casinos, and alcohol on public streets is legal. The Bourbon Street area is just ridiculous! I’m not a huge fan of jazz music, but the local people here really have a passion for music. I saw tons of signs and people talking about how “NOLA is music”, and last night there was a random group of 15-20 teenagers randomly showing up on the sidewalk/road and started jamming some decent jazz tunes. There is a lot of passion and pride in this city. This is all the more special considering the unfortunate events this city has gone through recently (Katrina/Oil Spill). Overall, NOLA, you are fucking awesome! Definitely going to come back here one day.

On to TOOL.

It’s funny, with the Blair post about how they MIGHT play a new setlist, plus Junior’s post about the crew being in NOLA almost a week in advance… I was thinking there MIGHT be a chance they will play a new setlist. But then again, that’s what I said last summer. I get into the venue and I almost immediately knew we were in for a treat tonight. These weren’t minor stage changes. To summarize:

-No more white floor stage with visuals on it. There’s a carpet now
-The past few tours have had 3 screens. The usual long horizontal one behind the band, plus the 2 on both sides of the stage. Now there are SEVEN SCREENS. Yes, 7. The platform where nardo and danny play on now has a screen built into it. The floor of DC’s platform and the side facing the audience is a screen. There is also a screen on the ceiling/lighting area, facing the audience.
-Most significantly, they added 2 “moving screens”. They are hidden at the top of the stage at the beginning of the show, but they move around all over the place during various songs. For lateralus they lowered to stage level directly behind adam/Justin.
-Lasers for the standard Aenema/Lateralus/Vicarious and NEW lasers for the patient
-NEW videos for third eye/the patient/and possibly others.

Anyways, excuse me while I jizz my pants:

THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. Enough said. I should end this review right there.

Before the band came on stage they played the audio of the “think for yourself, question authority” and had a video of what I presume is timothy saying the words. The band walks out – and right into Third Eye! The visuals were absolutely insane, and definitely new specifically for this tour.

As the band started playing Third Eye, nardo took out his cellphone camera and took a picture of DC, then walked over to Justin to take his picture. Then realized he already missed the first few words of the lyrics to third eye and ran back to his platform to start the song late. Then after the lyrics continued his photoshoot with adam. I’m pretty sure he was texting or something for the first half of Third Eye since he was constantly looking down at his phone. “oh right…I’m singing fucking third eye at a tool concert..better get back to that”.

Honestly I don’t remember much about Jambi/Stinkfist/Vicarious because the entire time I was still thinking. “WTF. Did that just happen?” What a way to tell all of us “FUCK OFF ABOUT SETLIST BITCHING”.

I stand corrected, Tool. A lot of us owe you an apology now.

Jambi was the usual compared to previous tours – same video on screens and adam rocked the talkbox solo. Stinkfist was extended with same visuals. Vicarious was the usual with lasers introduced to the show and the “vicarious jam” intro from previous tours they’ve done.

Eon Blue+The Patient was absolutely epic! First time I got to experience this song live. Also I should mention that Nardo’s vocals were fairly clear for most of the show. Unlikely previous tours/shows, he wasn’t too drowned out in the background and was fairly audible. I guess that also depends on the venue and where your sitting as well.

The Patient was ridiculously awesome. They used lasers for this song which I thought was a great touch – and somewhere around here they lowered the 2 other screens to make the video play on a total of 7 different sized screens all over the stage. Fucking intense!

Then Maynard says to the crowd “Do you like to travel back in time? I like to travel back in time”. After a few moments I remembered the Blair post about an older song with question marks on the setlist. Then a moving version of the Undertow logo appears on the back screens and they break into Intolerance. WICKED! Holy fucking shit. Words cannot describe the feeling of getting Third Eye/Patient/Intolerance all in one show! It’s amazing what a difference just a few songs can make.

Thank you Tool. You’ve made all the ridiculous time and effort I’ve spent on you worth every penny. This has easily been the best tool show I’ve ever experienced. I would probably say it’s safe to assume that tonight was the best tool concert since the Lateralus era tours in 2001-2002.

I’ll end my review on this note: I highly encourage every single person who reads this review (and likely the reviews to follow) to do whatever it takes to get to one of these shows. I’ve been to a lot of Tool concerts, but what I experienced tonight was a totally new level of intensity and inspiration.

Peace NOLA. Thanks for the best weekend of my life.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

TOOL CONCERT #26.

First of all let me start by mentioning that New Orleans has been the greatest city I’ve had the pleasure of visiting in the few years I’ve tried to follow tool around. Words cannot describe the incredible vibe and atmosphere of NOLA. It’s a very similar feeling to Las Vegas – touristy, casinos, and alcohol on public streets is legal. The Bourbon Street area is just ridiculous! I’m not a huge fan of jazz music, but the local people here really have a passion for music. I saw tons of signs and people talking about how “NOLA is music”, and last night there was a random group of 15-20 teenagers randomly showing up on the sidewalk/road and started jamming some decent jazz tunes. There is a lot of passion and pride in this city. This is all the more special considering the unfortunate events this city has gone through recently (Katrina/Oil Spill). Overall, NOLA, you are fucking awesome! Definitely going to come back here one day.

On to TOOL.

It’s funny, with the Blair post about how they MIGHT play a new setlist, plus Junior’s post about the crew being in NOLA almost a week in advance… I was thinking there MIGHT be a chance they will play a new setlist. But then again, that’s what I said last summer. I get into the venue and I almost immediately knew we were in for a treat tonight. These weren’t minor stage changes. To summarize:

-No more white floor stage with visuals on it. There’s a carpet now
-The past few tours have had 3 screens. The usual long horizontal one behind the band, plus the 2 on both sides of the stage. Now there are SEVEN SCREENS. Yes, 7. The platform where nardo and danny play on now has a screen built into it. The floor of DC’s platform and the side facing the audience is a screen. There is also a screen on the ceiling/lighting area, facing the audience.
-Most significantly, they added 2 “moving screens”. They are hidden at the top of the stage at the beginning of the show, but they move around all over the place during various songs. For lateralus they lowered to stage level directly behind adam/Justin.
-Lasers for the standard Aenema/Lateralus/Vicarious and NEW lasers for the patient
-NEW videos for third eye/the patient/and possibly others.

Anyways, excuse me while I jizz my pants:

THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE THEY FUCKING OPENED WITH THIRD EYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. Enough said. I should end this review right there.

Before the band came on stage they played the audio of the “think for yourself, question authority” and had a video of what I presume is timothy saying the words. The band walks out – and right into Third Eye! The visuals were absolutely insane, and definitely new specifically for this tour.

As the band started playing Third Eye, nardo took out his cellphone camera and took a picture of DC, then walked over to Justin to take his picture. Then realized he already missed the first few words of the lyrics to third eye and ran back to his platform to start the song late. Then after the lyrics continued his photoshoot with adam. I’m pretty sure he was texting or something for the first half of Third Eye since he was constantly looking down at his phone. “oh right…I’m singing fucking third eye at a tool concert..better get back to that”.

Honestly I don’t remember much about Jambi/Stinkfist/Vicarious because the entire time I was still thinking. “WTF. Did that just happen?” What a way to tell all of us “FUCK OFF ABOUT SETLIST BITCHING”.

I stand corrected, Tool. A lot of us owe you an apology now.

Jambi was the usual compared to previous tours – same video on screens and adam rocked the talkbox solo. Stinkfist was extended with same visuals. Vicarious was the usual with lasers introduced to the show and the “vicarious jam” intro from previous tours they’ve done.

Eon Blue+The Patient was absolutely epic! First time I got to experience this song live. Also I should mention that Nardo’s vocals were fairly clear for most of the show. Unlikely previous tours/shows, he wasn’t too drowned out in the background and was fairly audible. I guess that also depends on the venue and where your sitting as well.

The Patient was ridiculously awesome. They used lasers for this song which I thought was a great touch – and somewhere around here they lowered the 2 other screens to make the video play on a total of 7 different sized screens all over the stage. Fucking intense!

Then Maynard says to the crowd “Do you like to travel back in time? I like to travel back in time”. After a few moments I remembered the Blair post about an older song with question marks on the setlist. Then a moving version of the Undertow logo appears on the back screens and they break into Intolerance. WICKED! Holy fucking shit. Words cannot describe the feeling of getting Third Eye/Patient/Intolerance all in one show! It’s amazing what a difference just a few songs can make.

Thank you Tool. You’ve made all the ridiculous time and effort I’ve spent on you worth every penny. This has easily been the best tool show I’ve ever experienced. I would probably say it’s safe to assume that tonight was the best tool concert since the Lateralus era tours in 2001-2002.

I’ll end my review on this note: I highly encourage every single person who reads this review (and likely the reviews to follow) to do whatever it takes to get to one of these shows. I’ve been to a lot of Tool concerts, but what I experienced tonight was a totally new level of intensity and inspiration.

Peace NOLA. Thanks for the best weekend of my life.
06-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91mini View Post

It must have been where you were sitting man. I was in the upper level and every person around me was taking pictures every few seconds and lighting up like there was no tomorrow. I have no problem with it, live and let live, but we didn't see one security guard in our section all night.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91mini View Post

It must have been where you were sitting man. I was in the upper level and every person around me was taking pictures every few seconds and lighting up like there was no tomorrow. I have no problem with it, live and let live, but we didn't see one security guard in our section all night.
OFFLINE |  
apc221339
06-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Setlist from memory:
Third Eye
Jambi
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse / The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Forty Six & 2
*Small Break*
Lateralus
Ænima

Maynard Quote - "Today, for the next two hours we're gonna stay in hear and pretend that everything's OK."

Very good show in my opinion. They all seemed to be into it, especially Maynard. New intro video and some differentiations with the lights/lasers. Sound was about what you would expect for a little arena. Overall, I was not disappointed.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Setlist from memory:
Third Eye
Jambi
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse / The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Forty Six & 2
*Small Break*
Lateralus
Ænima

Maynard Quote - "Today, for the next two hours we're gonna stay in hear and pretend that everything's OK."

Very good show in my opinion. They all seemed to be into it, especially Maynard. New intro video and some differentiations with the lights/lasers. Sound was about what you would expect for a little arena. Overall, I was not disappointed.
OFFLINE |  
tapcnin
06-20-2010, 06:03 PM

this was my 5th show but my first time in New Orleans, by far the best show in my life. im so glad they changed some of the set list from the tours before.

Third eye. need i say more. i thought it was great what maynard had to say through out the show even though it was short. before intolerance he just says "dont worry everything will be ok" not being from the gulf you see how the oil has just fucked everything up and its only the start of things to come.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

this was my 5th show but my first time in New Orleans, by far the best show in my life. im so glad they changed some of the set list from the tours before.

Third eye. need i say more. i thought it was great what maynard had to say through out the show even though it was short. before intolerance he just says "dont worry everything will be ok" not being from the gulf you see how the oil has just fucked everything up and its only the start of things to come.
OFFLINE |  
ddaddy
06-20-2010, 07:27 PM

i seriously still cannot believe what i witnessed last night.... several people told me that some of the best tool shows they had ever seen were in new orleans... this was definitely the case for me last night.... third eye..... the patient.... intolerance!!!!! THREE songs that i hadn't heard before and they KICKED SOME SERIOUS ASS LIVE FOLKS. i also was happy that the other songs they played at previous shows were played in a completely different order... really gave things a fresh vibe to me... i thought the sound was a lot better here than it was last year at the nokia in dallas... this could be just were i was sitting... either way it was the greatest show ive ever seen... i never thought i would get to see any of those three songs live... when the speech came on after the lights when out i was like oh shit whats this all about... cause i knew that they had used it for the salival version of pushit as well so i still wasn't quite sure what to expect.. and then BOOM right in your face third eye... my girlfriend kept laughing at me cause the only thing i could say was WTF... I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED!!....

i think every security guard in the building hated their life and tried to take it out on everybody there... thats all i'll say about those assholes.

this was my first trip to new orleans and i cannot say i feel the same as kanadah about this city... i didn't like it at ALL... i was very uncomfortable there and glad to leave... nothing against the natives... i just had this gut feeling that made me uneasy...

i thought it was badass how they set up the stage and the screens now... totally awesome...

don't know if anyone else noticed but the opening video for jambi was a little bit different at this show... not much... but it was definitely slightly different...

im sure this has been said but just in case any of them were missed... Third Eye, Stinkfist, Intolerance, and Schism were all Extended/Altered....

sorry if ive left anything out that hasn't been said or said something that has but im extremely tired and exhausted... i just got back home from the trip so im about to pass out....

was anyone in sec c upper level?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

i seriously still cannot believe what i witnessed last night.... several people told me that some of the best tool shows they had ever seen were in new orleans... this was definitely the case for me last night.... third eye..... the patient.... intolerance!!!!! THREE songs that i hadn't heard before and they KICKED SOME SERIOUS ASS LIVE FOLKS. i also was happy that the other songs they played at previous shows were played in a completely different order... really gave things a fresh vibe to me... i thought the sound was a lot better here than it was last year at the nokia in dallas... this could be just were i was sitting... either way it was the greatest show ive ever seen... i never thought i would get to see any of those three songs live... when the speech came on after the lights when out i was like oh shit whats this all about... cause i knew that they had used it for the salival version of pushit as well so i still wasn't quite sure what to expect.. and then BOOM right in your face third eye... my girlfriend kept laughing at me cause the only thing i could say was WTF... I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED!!....

i think every security guard in the building hated their life and tried to take it out on everybody there... thats all i'll say about those assholes.

this was my first trip to new orleans and i cannot say i feel the same as kanadah about this city... i didn't like it at ALL... i was very uncomfortable there and glad to leave... nothing against the natives... i just had this gut feeling that made me uneasy...

i thought it was badass how they set up the stage and the screens now... totally awesome...

don't know if anyone else noticed but the opening video for jambi was a little bit different at this show... not much... but it was definitely slightly different...

im sure this has been said but just in case any of them were missed... Third Eye, Stinkfist, Intolerance, and Schism were all Extended/Altered....

sorry if ive left anything out that hasn't been said or said something that has but im extremely tired and exhausted... i just got back home from the trip so im about to pass out....

was anyone in sec c upper level?
OFFLINE |  
schismantraenima
06-20-2010, 11:01 PM

god i feel lame compared to ... haha, i got up Sat with NO ticket, luckily TM saves a few seats i guess to thwart scalpers, I ended up in sec P row 6 (first row above the scorers tables) if you know the arena very well ... it's a GR8 seat, not that theres really a bad one in UNO. I have seen a t0n of shows there, including TOOL back August of 98 for the Aenima tour ... when Reverend Maynard preached about how we should rid ourselves of our clothing ....girls were stripping naked ... no lie! But they had a pit (no stupid fuckin chairs) on the floor. If this is what we can expect of the UNO arena for future events, I doubt I will do any. Whats TOOL w/o a mosh pit .... WTF Beaver Productions?
Setlist .... hmmmm The show in 98 they played Third Eye midway through & ended the show with FLOOD. The show in Nov 07 in the Arena downtown was a killer setlist also, the light show was far better to, maybe due to the size of the building?
Regardless, it did what it was intended to do, get your mind off the bullshit 3 ring circus sideshow for a cpl hours, and rock out with TOOL. What could possibly be better?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

god i feel lame compared to ... haha, i got up Sat with NO ticket, luckily TM saves a few seats i guess to thwart scalpers, I ended up in sec P row 6 (first row above the scorers tables) if you know the arena very well ... it's a GR8 seat, not that theres really a bad one in UNO. I have seen a t0n of shows there, including TOOL back August of 98 for the Aenima tour ... when Reverend Maynard preached about how we should rid ourselves of our clothing ....girls were stripping naked ... no lie! But they had a pit (no stupid fuckin chairs) on the floor. If this is what we can expect of the UNO arena for future events, I doubt I will do any. Whats TOOL w/o a mosh pit .... WTF Beaver Productions?
Setlist .... hmmmm The show in 98 they played Third Eye midway through & ended the show with FLOOD. The show in Nov 07 in the Arena downtown was a killer setlist also, the light show was far better to, maybe due to the size of the building?
Regardless, it did what it was intended to do, get your mind off the bullshit 3 ring circus sideshow for a cpl hours, and rock out with TOOL. What could possibly be better?
OFFLINE |  
down_nola
06-20-2010, 11:09 PM

Ninth time seeing Tool the past three years and it was by far the best show visually and set wise. with it being opening night, the anticipation prior to the show was running rampant. I figured there would be a fare amount of changes to the set, but in noway was expecting what we got. The show was just simple phenomenal. The new visual features added to the stage defiantly makes all the differance. This was easily the best few weeks of my life, having seen Iron Maiden and Dream Theater twice last week and Tool this past Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schismantraenima View Post
But they had a pit (no stupid fuckin chairs) on the floor. If this is what we can expect of the UNO arena for future events, I doubt I will do any. Whats TOOL w/o a mosh pit .... WTF Beaver Productions?
?
lol, it's not UNO's fault there were chairs on the floor. It was the bands request. I prefer pit as well, but I wouldn't enjoy a show any less without it. The band has evolved into a visual experience anyways, moshing becomes a secondary thought.

Last edited by down_nola; 06-21-2010 at 12:10 AM..
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Ninth time seeing Tool the past three years and it was by far the best show visually and set wise. with it being opening night, the anticipation prior to the show was running rampant. I figured there would be a fare amount of changes to the set, but in noway was expecting what we got. The show was just simple phenomenal. The new visual features added to the stage defiantly makes all the differance. This was easily the best few weeks of my life, having seen Iron Maiden and Dream Theater twice last week and Tool this past Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schismantraenima View Post
But they had a pit (no stupid fuckin chairs) on the floor. If this is what we can expect of the UNO arena for future events, I doubt I will do any. Whats TOOL w/o a mosh pit .... WTF Beaver Productions?
?
lol, it's not UNO's fault there were chairs on the floor. It was the bands request. I prefer pit as well, but I wouldn't enjoy a show any less without it. The band has evolved into a visual experience anyways, moshing becomes a secondary thought.

Last edited by down_nola; 06-21-2010 at 12:10 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Croma
06-20-2010, 11:34 PM

There were several errors in the previous posts. Let me try to correct them.

First of all, (-) ions was played right before Stinkfist. Yeah I know thats not a biggie, but still.
Second, Maynard did not just run off stage pissed after the show. He made a point to run up and give Justin Chancellor a high five and also acknowledge the other band members before he went offstage.

Maynard said at the Dallas show in 2009 "you know, we read the message boards. What you see tonight maybe the same thing you saw last night, but that was last night, and this is tonight"

They read these message boards, and everything has been changed in order to satiate the BITCHING of the spoiled fans who complained last year. Some of the posts claimed Maynard was going onstage without a shirt to be sexy (I personally think it is because he gets sweaty on stage with all those lights). People also complained (including me) about the sound issues and repeated setlists. Many also felt Maynard was not giving us his all and that the band was going through the motions and just doing it for the money (ummm....yeah. Its kinda their job, I hope they do make money). Many also stated Maynard left the stage early because he was no longer close to his band members or fans.

Well at this show, he addressed all those concerns. He changed his look (yet again) by being fully dressed and wearing a somewhat nerdy visor. The band opened with Third Eye and 2 other more rare songs (The Patient/Intolerance) were included. Maynard was VERY active, parading around the stage, waving his arms, and overall VERY into the music. The sound was PERFECT from any seat. Maynards vocals were clear and could be heard above the instruments. Maynard made a point of acknowledging every band member before leaving the stage. The message was: STOP YOUR BITCHING - TOOL DOES LOVE YOU!

This was a special show. Maynard was OBVIOUSLY acknowledging the oil spill by saying "Today, for the next two hours we're gonna stay in here and PRETEND that everything's OK." and by saying "Everything is going to work out" later on. This was meant to be a cathartic experience for the people of New Orleans. He even emphasized certain words in AEnima that were relevant to the spill by holding out "I'm praying for rain, I'm praying for tidal waves" to cheers.

Also, what was said before Intolerance was specifically "Do you believe in Time Travel? I believe in Time Travel." Maynard pushed himself on Intolerance, he may have struggled to hit a couple high notes, but he hit them and every time he did, the audience went WILD! Anyone who thinks that the crowd was unenthusiastic is smoking crack. That auditorium was LIT UP! Yeah there was no mosh pit, that was a plus, noone is going get crushed, trampled or otherwise. And of course security was strict on video phones and such - TOOL hates for crappy footage to be released of a show that is meant to be experienced in person. I think its awesome they cracked down on phones, not ganj. The crowd was ELECTRIC - I think the band felt it too! They all performed with enthusiasm, and at the end Justin Chancellor was clapping back at the audience, which to me was his approval of us for being a good crowd (unlike several other shows).

Best show since the Lateralus tour, NO Complaints, Tool gave the fans everything they asked for! Now for the next album........

Last edited by Croma; 06-20-2010 at 11:40 PM..
Old 06-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

There were several errors in the previous posts. Let me try to correct them.

First of all, (-) ions was played right before Stinkfist. Yeah I know thats not a biggie, but still.
Second, Maynard did not just run off stage pissed after the show. He made a point to run up and give Justin Chancellor a high five and also acknowledge the other band members before he went offstage.

Maynard said at the Dallas show in 2009 "you know, we read the message boards. What you see tonight maybe the same thing you saw last night, but that was last night, and this is tonight"

They read these message boards, and everything has been changed in order to satiate the BITCHING of the spoiled fans who complained last year. Some of the posts claimed Maynard was going onstage without a shirt to be sexy (I personally think it is because he gets sweaty on stage with all those lights). People also complained (including me) about the sound issues and repeated setlists. Many also felt Maynard was not giving us his all and that the band was going through the motions and just doing it for the money (ummm....yeah. Its kinda their job, I hope they do make money). Many also stated Maynard left the stage early because he was no longer close to his band members or fans.

Well at this show, he addressed all those concerns. He changed his look (yet again) by being fully dressed and wearing a somewhat nerdy visor. The band opened with Third Eye and 2 other more rare songs (The Patient/Intolerance) were included. Maynard was VERY active, parading around the stage, waving his arms, and overall VERY into the music. The sound was PERFECT from any seat. Maynards vocals were clear and could be heard above the instruments. Maynard made a point of acknowledging every band member before leaving the stage. The message was: STOP YOUR BITCHING - TOOL DOES LOVE YOU!

This was a special show. Maynard was OBVIOUSLY acknowledging the oil spill by saying "Today, for the next two hours we're gonna stay in here and PRETEND that everything's OK." and by saying "Everything is going to work out" later on. This was meant to be a cathartic experience for the people of New Orleans. He even emphasized certain words in AEnima that were relevant to the spill by holding out "I'm praying for rain, I'm praying for tidal waves" to cheers.

Also, what was said before Intolerance was specifically "Do you believe in Time Travel? I believe in Time Travel." Maynard pushed himself on Intolerance, he may have struggled to hit a couple high notes, but he hit them and every time he did, the audience went WILD! Anyone who thinks that the crowd was unenthusiastic is smoking crack. That auditorium was LIT UP! Yeah there was no mosh pit, that was a plus, noone is going get crushed, trampled or otherwise. And of course security was strict on video phones and such - TOOL hates for crappy footage to be released of a show that is meant to be experienced in person. I think its awesome they cracked down on phones, not ganj. The crowd was ELECTRIC - I think the band felt it too! They all performed with enthusiasm, and at the end Justin Chancellor was clapping back at the audience, which to me was his approval of us for being a good crowd (unlike several other shows).

Best show since the Lateralus tour, NO Complaints, Tool gave the fans everything they asked for! Now for the next album........

Last edited by Croma; 06-20-2010 at 11:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
zeik's Avatar zeik
06-21-2010, 06:18 AM

im just so happy they started the tour in new orleans. this show was unbelievable
Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

im just so happy they started the tour in new orleans. this show was unbelievable
OFFLINE |  
mekk
06-21-2010, 07:33 AM

how long did wovenhand play for?

Last edited by Bogart; 06-21-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

how long did wovenhand play for?

Last edited by Bogart; 06-21-2010 at 04:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
nusense
06-21-2010, 07:58 AM

30 minutes. They were pretty good too. Did a nice job of setting the mood. New Orleans really gave them a good response.

That's one thing I haven't seen many touch on: how fucking awesome the crowd was in NO. I didn't see ONE flash the entire show and that was spectacular. Very polite yet enthusiastic for the most part.

Also, how amazing was the venue? It was really more like a mid to small-sized theater gig than an arena. I was in Row 2 of Sec. R and the stage felt like it was in my lap.

I still can't get over how fucking amazing the new back wall projection screen looked. That darker grey screen material really makes a universe of difference. So nice to see the return of the shadows with the stage lighting. I'm truly jealous of what they'll be able to do with it when the crew really gets settled in later in the tour.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

30 minutes. They were pretty good too. Did a nice job of setting the mood. New Orleans really gave them a good response.

That's one thing I haven't seen many touch on: how fucking awesome the crowd was in NO. I didn't see ONE flash the entire show and that was spectacular. Very polite yet enthusiastic for the most part.

Also, how amazing was the venue? It was really more like a mid to small-sized theater gig than an arena. I was in Row 2 of Sec. R and the stage felt like it was in my lap.

I still can't get over how fucking amazing the new back wall projection screen looked. That darker grey screen material really makes a universe of difference. So nice to see the return of the shadows with the stage lighting. I'm truly jealous of what they'll be able to do with it when the crew really gets settled in later in the tour.
OFFLINE |  
Krawphish
06-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Maynard was really talkative
Third eye!!! (whats next, ticks and leeches??)
Danny is a god
Justin is always a trip to watch,
Looked like adam and justin were having pedal issues all night
(spent alot of time on their knees fiddling with them)
This was not the first time I've seen floor chairs, and no moshing at a tool show. I think this happens at the bands request, and would have bought floor seats if I'd have known.
Loved the mixed up setlist... (will I ever get opiate or push it again? I hold those memories close to my heart)
Visuals were epic, sound was great
Small venue = intimate show
Wovenhand was the best opener since King Crimson
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard was really talkative
Third eye!!! (whats next, ticks and leeches??)
Danny is a god
Justin is always a trip to watch,
This was not the first time I've seen floor chairs, and no moshing at a tool show. I think this happens at the bands request, and would have bought floor seats if I'd have known.
Loved the mixed up setlist... (will I ever get opiate or push it again? I hold those memories close to my heart)
Visuals were epic, sound was great
Small venue = intimate show
OFFLINE |  
nusense
06-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawphish View Post
Normally they do that during some of the synth/jam things just because they need to fiddle with them to create the sounds.

Although I did notice Matt (Adam's tech) messing with Adam's pedals during one song for a while.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Normally they do that during some of the synth/jam things just because they need to fiddle with them to create the sounds.

Although I did notice Matt (Adam's tech) messing with Adam's pedals during one song for a while.
OFFLINE |  
nusense
06-21-2010, 01:57 PM

NOT whining at all... but I have to say, I did really miss Rosetta Stoned. Mark my words, in a few years that's going to be the "new Third Eye" that everyone clamors to hear once again.

If they could've slipped that into this current set... whew boy. That would be yet another stratosphere.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

NOT whining at all... but I have to say, I did really miss Rosetta Stoned. Mark my words, in a few years that's going to be the "new Third Eye" that everyone clamors to hear once again.

If they could've slipped that into this current set... whew boy. That would be yet another stratosphere.
OFFLINE |  
fzanes
06-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post

Very well put man. We felt the same way. In fact, I thought they were going into it a few times.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post

Very well put man. We felt the same way. In fact, I thought they were going into it a few times.
OFFLINE |  
Croma
06-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Wovenhand was horrible. The drummer was decent, but the vocals were whiny and droning, and they focused too much on their guitar effects. I agree with the post earlier that they would have sounded better in a smaller venue. To me, Trans AM and Tweakbird were both much better and more interesting. Oh.....please don't even compare Wovenhand to King Crimson....just no.......
Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Wovenhand was horrible. The drummer was decent, but the vocals were whiny and droning, and they focused too much on their guitar effects. I agree with the post earlier that they would have sounded better in a smaller venue. To me, Trans AM and Tweakbird were both much better and more interesting. Oh.....please don't even compare Wovenhand to King Crimson....just no.......
OFFLINE |  
jforgason's Avatar jforgason
06-22-2010, 10:55 AM

It was the first show of a new tour. It was a little scratchy. The first Les Paul Adam played was out of tune, and the pedals weren't adjusted right. That's what the guitar tech is for. After that it was great, everything that I would exspect from Tool. It just wasn't long enough.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

It was the first show of a new tour. It was a little scratchy. The first Les Paul Adam played was out of tune, and the pedals weren't adjusted right. That's what the guitar tech is for. After that it was great, everything that I would exspect from Tool. It just wasn't long enough.
OFFLINE |  
4stringaxe's Avatar 4stringaxe
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Well after reading some people's reaction to how awesome this crowd was, I feel I may have generalized a bit. The people immediately around me were pretty timid, especially the asshole next to me who stood there like a statue the whole damn show looking angry. Still, this totally tops the last Tool show I saw, and I hope to see many more
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Well after reading some people's reaction to how awesome this crowd was, I feel I may have generalized a bit. The people immediately around me were pretty timid, especially the asshole next to me who stood there like a statue the whole damn show looking angry. Still, this totally tops the last Tool show I saw, and I hope to see many more
OFFLINE |  
jakesstuff_69's Avatar jakesstuff_69
06-23-2010, 12:56 AM

Third Eye (new end guitar solo and extended)
Jambi
(-)ions (changed)
Stinkfist(extended)
Space jam intro
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerence
Maynard's Dick tease
Schism (extended)
Synth Jam intro
46&2
moog/synth noise during break
Lateralus
Aenema

Just listened to a recording, everything sounds superb. Someone is playing keys for the first couple songs and Maynard was using a decent bit of electronics on his vocals. Almost every song has some slight improv or extension to it.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #24
Ski Free

Bincount™: 1219

Jambi
(-)ions (changed)
Stinkfist(extended)
Space jam intro
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerence
Maynard's Dick tease
Schism (extended)
Synth Jam intro
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

Just listened to a recording, everything sounds superb. Someone is playing keys for the first couple songs and Maynard was using a decent bit of electronics on his vocals. Almost every song has some slight improv or extension to it.
OFFLINE |  
ddaddy
06-23-2010, 09:03 AM

What did i do or say to have my post taken down?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

What did i do or say to have my post taken down?
OFFLINE |  
Dr. Dobbs
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM

People this was my fourth show and it was the best fucking one I have ever had the PRIVILEGE to witness. I was on the floor seat 14 row 10 and TOOL fucking lit the place up. I could actually see the band members and they seemed like they were having as much fun as the fans. The light show was incredible along with the alex grey art and holy fucking shit they played third eye, the patient, intolerance, and a\nema all in one show! I hope this tour's feel bleeds onto the new album.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

People this was my fourth show and it was the best fucking one I have ever had the PRIVILEGE to witness. I was on the floor seat 14 row 10 and TOOL fucking lit the place up. I could actually see the band members and they seemed like they were having as much fun as the fans. The light show was incredible along with the alex grey art and holy fucking shit they played third eye, the patient, intolerance, and a\nema all in one show! I hope this tour's feel bleeds onto the new album.
OFFLINE |  
Croma
06-24-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesstuff_69 View Post
Jambi
(-)ions (changed)
Stinkfist(extended)
Space jam intro
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerence
Maynard's Dick tease
Schism (extended)
Synth Jam intro
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

You are right. But you left out the extended jam on Intolerance, changed up guitar part in The Patient, and the extended Lateralus intro. UMmm, I think (-) ions was a little longer, but how did they change that up? Oh yeah - I didn't pick up on the Maynard's Dick tease, I thought it sounded more like an Intension tease. Small beans.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesstuff_69 View Post
Jambi
(-)ions (changed)
Stinkfist(extended)
Space jam intro
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerence
Maynard's Dick tease
Schism (extended)
Synth Jam intro
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

You are right. But you left out the extended jam on Intolerance, changed up guitar part in The Patient, and the extended Lateralus intro. UMmm, I think (-) ions was a little longer, but how did they change that up? Oh yeah - I didn't pick up on the Maynard's Dick tease, I thought it sounded more like an Intension tease. Small beans.
OFFLINE |  
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
06-25-2010, 10:31 AM

Almost a week later and I'm still psyched about the show. Still not over the fact that they opened with Third Eye, played Intolerance and The Patient. I'm considering flying out to L.A. for one of those shows, a friend has a ticket for me. It will be hard to resist.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #28
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Almost a week later and I'm still psyched about the show. Still not over the fact that they opened with Third Eye, played Intolerance and The Patient. I'm considering flying out to L.A. for one of those shows, a friend has a ticket for me. It will be hard to resist.
06-25-2010, 11:47 AM

AMAZING SHOW! Had to pay 150 for each ticket. Missed the onsale date and could only find shitty seats on stub hub or ridiculously overpriced but lucked up on ebay and COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH PURCHASE. Worst part was the security guard taking ALL the weed lit in my section. We were sitting in lower o row five so we were almost directly beside adam. I was close enough to see every fret played. ALSO the guy in front of me inline bought THE LAST POSTER in the building.Was standing in line when opening band was on stage because they had 3 fools runing something they could of had 10 doing.

SO I WILL BUY OR TRADE SOME GOODIES FOR A POSTER. SIGNED OR UNSIGNED I JUST WANT ONE HELP A FELLOW TOOL FAN OUT AND I WILL HELP YOU!!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

AMAZING SHOW! Had to pay 150 for each ticket. Missed the onsale date and could only find shitty seats on stub hub or ridiculously overpriced but lucked up on ebay and COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH PURCHASE. Worst part was the security guard taking ALL the weed lit in my section. We were sitting in lower o row five so we were almost directly beside adam. I was close enough to see every fret played. ALSO the guy in front of me inline bought THE LAST POSTER in the building.Was standing in line when opening band was on stage because they had 3 fools runing something they could of had 10 doing.

SO I WILL BUY OR TRADE SOME GOODIES FOR A POSTER. SIGNED OR UNSIGNED I JUST WANT ONE HELP A FELLOW TOOL FAN OUT AND I WILL HELP YOU!!
OFFLINE |  
jvalentine's Avatar jvalentine
06-25-2010, 11:41 PM

Was my 3rd tool show and the best one BY FAR!!! I was in section Q

Timothy Leary Intro/Third Eye........as stated EPIC. The band was on fire from the start!
Jambi.....this song has been played at all 3 shows I have attended.....yet to disappoint
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue/The Patient.....this was a first for me and I LOVED it live....amazing music
Intolerence....nuff said
Schism
46&2
Lateralus.....my favorite song.....no matter how many times I hear it, its always great
Aenima....the final first for me and this one really made me lose my shit lol.....

GREAT SHOW.....Security wasnt bad in my section.....

Last edited by jvalentine; 06-26-2010 at 08:28 AM..
Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #30
Level 3 - Talker

Was my 3rd tool show and the best one BY FAR!!! I was in section Q

Timothy Leary Intro/Third Eye........as stated EPIC. The band was on fire from the start!
Jambi.....this song has been played at all 3 shows I have attended.....yet to disappoint
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue/The Patient.....this was a first for me and I LOVED it live....amazing music
Intolerence....nuff said
Schism
46&2
Lateralus.....my favorite song.....no matter how many times I hear it, its always great
Aenima....the final first for me and this one really made me lose my shit lol.....

GREAT SHOW.....Security wasnt bad in my section.....

Last edited by jvalentine; 06-26-2010 at 08:28 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Markr1117
06-26-2010, 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=jakesstuff_69;2919849]Third Eye (new end guitar solo and extended)
Jambi
(-)ions (changed)
Stinkfist(extended)
Space jam intro
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerence
Maynard's Dick tease
Schism (extended)
Synth Jam intro
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

Just listened to a recording, everything sounds superb. Someone is playing keys for the first couple songs and Maynard was using a decent bit of electronics on his vocals. Almost every song has some slight improv or extension to it.[/QUOTE

How do i get a copy of the recording?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

[QUOTE=jakesstuff_69;2919849]Third Eye (new end guitar solo and extended)
Jambi
(-)ions (changed)
Stinkfist(extended)
Space jam intro
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerence
Maynard's Dick tease
Schism (extended)
Synth Jam intro
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

Just listened to a recording, everything sounds superb. Someone is playing keys for the first couple songs and Maynard was using a decent bit of electronics on his vocals. Almost every song has some slight improv or extension to it.[/QUOTE

How do i get a copy of the recording?
OFFLINE |  
bermy
06-30-2010, 04:44 PM

21st show since 2001. (vowed to make up for missing the aenima tour)

Show was ridiculous. right up there with the last leg of lateralus 2002 (huge crazy lit backdrop, lots of on-stage vs all top lighting, H and 3rd eye) and Mansfield, MA 2007 (Pushit + the whole well-known setlist incl Wings, stage projections).

like others, i practically jizzed in my pants when timothy leary came on. my gf had a good laugh. mostly for the song, but also meant they weren't recycling the same setlist from '07/09.

sound quality much better than 06-09 shows, not quite as good as 01-02. 80-90% new video animation, and higher definition, was fantastic. with the multitude of screens (incl 2 moving ones!) that gorgeous video really dominated the stage (kinda missed the full stage projections). My gf was so impressed with teh video art she asked if it was exhibited on its own anywhere. i said this is the exhibit.

3rd eye was epic and a real treat for us die hard fans. the rest was just icing on the cake. intolerance, the only new song for me, bloody rocked and an amazing improved undertow emblem animation. great lighting on the patient (the swaying light rigs). 46&2, aenima, lateralus, jambi always kick ass.

stinkfist, schism & lateralus i've seen at all 21 shows. i have mad love for stinkfist, schism is getting a little... (bathroom break song), the extensions are great, but they both really need a break. I'd also scrap vicarious if it meant getting Pushit/Rosetta/Undertow/Opiate/H/or Wings in. Not complaining bout the setlist, the show absutively rocked, I'm just sayin.

I was in teh upper decks sec B and by Jambi the whole arena was standing, except for our section which drained a bit of energy. We got up for a couple songs, but it just pissed off the kids behind us. Security was not a problem up there and spliffs were-a-burnin.

The guys showed us, after a weak showing last year, they can still deliver a live experience that will blow you away.

NOLA also kicked ass, while Bourbon St was a pathetic mockery, Frenchmen St was fantastic for live music. Four days of music, from little brass bands rockin out in bar corners to Tool and great food made this a fantastic trip.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

21st show since 2001. (vowed to make up for missing the aenima tour)

Show was ridiculous. right up there with the last leg of lateralus 2002 (huge crazy lit backdrop, lots of on-stage vs all top lighting, H and 3rd eye) and Mansfield, MA 2007 (Pushit + the whole well-known setlist incl Wings, stage projections).

like others, i practically jizzed in my pants when timothy leary came on. my gf had a good laugh. mostly for the song, but also meant they weren't recycling the same setlist from '07/09.

sound quality much better than 06-09 shows, not quite as good as 01-02. 80-90% new video animation, and higher definition, was fantastic. with the multitude of screens (incl 2 moving ones!) that gorgeous video really dominated the stage (kinda missed the full stage projections). My gf was so impressed with teh video art she asked if it was exhibited on its own anywhere. i said this is the exhibit.

3rd eye was epic and a real treat for us die hard fans. the rest was just icing on the cake. intolerance, the only new song for me, bloody rocked and an amazing improved undertow emblem animation. great lighting on the patient (the swaying light rigs). 46&2, aenima, lateralus, jambi always kick ass.

stinkfist, schism & lateralus i've seen at all 21 shows. i have mad love for stinkfist, schism is getting a little... (bathroom break song), the extensions are great, but they both really need a break. I'd also scrap vicarious if it meant getting Pushit/Rosetta/Undertow/Opiate/H/or Wings in. Not complaining bout the setlist, the show absutively rocked, I'm just sayin.

I was in teh upper decks sec B and by Jambi the whole arena was standing, except for our section which drained a bit of energy. We got up for a couple songs, but it just pissed off the kids behind us. Security was not a problem up there and spliffs were-a-burnin.

The guys showed us, after a weak showing last year, they can still deliver a live experience that will blow you away.

NOLA also kicked ass, while Bourbon St was a pathetic mockery, Frenchmen St was fantastic for live music. Four days of music, from little brass bands rockin out in bar corners to Tool and great food made this a fantastic trip.
OFFLINE |  
Freese
07-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Everyone watches and experiences live music differently, sir. Just because someone remains stoic throughout a show doesn't mean that he's "angry" or an "asshole." Perhaps the "statue" next to you was having a bad day and was just trying to pretend that every thing was ok, just as Maynard told him to do. Again, everyone responds to live music differently, and just because he wasn't jumping up and down and waving his hands like he just doesn't care doesn't mean that he wasn't enjoying himself.

I saw so many happy people at this show, and it was quite surprising. The last "metal" show I went to was System of a Down back in 2005, and I saw people fighting and yelling at each other. I expected a similar thing to occur at the Tool show, but I met so many happy and fun people!

Last edited by Freese; 07-05-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Old 07-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Everyone watches and experiences live music differently, sir. Just because someone remains stoic throughout a show doesn't mean that he's "angry" or an "asshole." Perhaps the "statue" next to you was having a bad day and was just trying to pretend that every thing was ok, just as Maynard told him to do. Again, everyone responds to live music differently, and just because he wasn't jumping up and down and waving his hands like he just doesn't care doesn't mean that he wasn't enjoying himself.

I saw so many happy people at this show, and it was quite surprising. The last "metal" show I went to was System of a Down back in 2005, and I saw people fighting and yelling at each other. I expected a similar thing to occur at the Tool show, but I met so many happy and fun people!

Last edited by Freese; 07-05-2010 at 12:25 PM..
OFFLINE |  
blitzedge's Avatar blitzedge
07-06-2010, 08:12 AM

This is my seventh tool show. The setlist is obviously posted above so I'll keep this brief.
For anyone to think Maynard is not into it is out of their mind. His vocals are totally strong as ever and was really into the music. I was pleased with hearing intolerance and the patient since I have never heard them live before. I heard third eye in Indianapolis back in the fall of 2002. It was a great opener for this show! The venue was pretty impressive although the acoustics of the building itself were okay....could be due to it being such a small venue. Not sure. The visuals were really astounding. I saw them on the lateralus tour and the 10,000 days tour. I could really get a different mixed feeling from this show. It was a solid mix of all four of the full-length albums. I was really pleased with the lateralus stuff played. Got an unsigned poster since I got a signed one in Atlanta last year. Thank you Tool for yet another fantastic show.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

This is my seventh tool show. The setlist is obviously posted above so I'll keep this brief.
For anyone to think Maynard is not into it is out of their mind. His vocals are totally strong as ever and was really into the music. I was pleased with hearing intolerance and the patient since I have never heard them live before. I heard third eye in Indianapolis back in the fall of 2002. It was a great opener for this show! The venue was pretty impressive although the acoustics of the building itself were okay....could be due to it being such a small venue. Not sure. The visuals were really astounding. I saw them on the lateralus tour and the 10,000 days tour. I could really get a different mixed feeling from this show. It was a solid mix of all four of the full-length albums. I was really pleased with the lateralus stuff played. Got an unsigned poster since I got a signed one in Atlanta last year. Thank you Tool for yet another fantastic show.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply