Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 10. Right in Two
User Name
Password
Solaris's Avatar Solaris
09-09-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
If your willing to eliminate tool just because of one lyric in one song, I really wish you would. You would be the most closeminded person I've ever met. First off people will disagree about things, and have differant view points, but if you decide to stop listening to some ones thoughts simply because theres one set of views that dont match up you've missed the point of alot of tools work. If your so concerned with peoples beleifs that you would disregard a truely great thing for one "imperfection" then you need to re-establish your outlooks on things.
Amen
Old 09-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #81
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: If it is "lift an eye to heaven"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
If your willing to eliminate tool just because of one lyric in one song, I really wish you would. You would be the most closeminded person I've ever met. First off people will disagree about things, and have differant view points, but if you decide to stop listening to some ones thoughts simply because theres one set of views that dont match up you've missed the point of alot of tools work. If your so concerned with peoples beleifs that you would disregard a truely great thing for one "imperfection" then you need to re-establish your outlooks on things.
Amen
09-09-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.

First off, I don't think Tool has every been anti GOD. They have been anti organized religion, or they have been against humans fucking up the context of some religions. Perhaps it is eqaully as narrow minded to hear God or Heaven and get all riled up.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #82
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
...then I'm going to burn my entire Tool collection and never listen to a single song by Maynard ever again. Maynard is not one to suggest religion or looking up to God because we are mere mortals. Fuck that. Its bullshit.

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

thats what i hear. i need him to post his lyrics soon, for me to continue listening to tool.

If I'm so wrong in my interpretation that saying that we are repugnant because we don't look up to God (that doesnt even make fucking sense because most morons do do that anyway...) and heaven...then please correct me and let me know what else could be meant by the "lift an eye to heaven" line.

I honestly can hear both, depending on which one I want to hear every time I replay the part. WTF maynard.

First off, I don't think Tool has every been anti GOD. They have been anti organized religion, or they have been against humans fucking up the context of some religions. Perhaps it is eqaully as narrow minded to hear God or Heaven and get all riled up.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
conawayb
09-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I don't respect things that are wrong. I wish people didn't follow bullshit religions, thats all I want. Not to be my groupies. Its just stupid that so many people believe things about the world/universe that are so false. It makes me upset about how bad our society is today and how much ignorance there is.
How exactly do you know they are wrong? If you could tell us that then there would be no more religious intolerance or petty bickering over religion. So lets listen everyone: MJR has proof that every religion is wrong! We are so lucky to have such an intelligent thinker amongst us.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #83
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
I don't respect things that are wrong. I wish people didn't follow bullshit religions, thats all I want. Not to be my groupies. Its just stupid that so many people believe things about the world/universe that are so false. It makes me upset about how bad our society is today and how much ignorance there is.
How exactly do you know they are wrong? If you could tell us that then there would be no more religious intolerance or petty bickering over religion. So lets listen everyone: MJR has proof that every religion is wrong! We are so lucky to have such an intelligent thinker amongst us.
greywolf
09-21-2006, 05:49 PM

(Please keep in mind I am a stone-cold atheist.)

walkerw8's reference to the Einstein site is an interesting one. I think this quote specifically is fitting to this particular argument:

"I was barked at by numerous dogs who are earning their food guarding ignorance and superstition for the benefit of those who profit from it. Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is of the same kind as the intolerance of the religious fanatics and comes from the same source. They are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional "opium of the people"—cannot bear the music of the spheres. The Wonder of nature does not become smaller because one cannot measure it by the standards of human moral and human aims."

-Albert Einstein

I myself am unable to subscribe to any kind of organized religion without feeling like an idiot performing a ventriloquist act to myself when attempting to 'pray' to God, but I still do not deny the significance of it. To say the very idea of religion is wrong and stupid would be equivalent to saying CULTURE as a concept is itself stupid, as they are often very closely tied together. Inventing religion was a big philsophical step in human intellect, because from a time where we were too occupied with surviving one day at a time, we as a species were able to produce a surplus of food and take the time to wonder WHY we exist and how the universe works. I'd personally agree with you in being dissatisfied with the hypocrisies and baseless claims found in many religions, seemingly placed only to control the people who fall for it all, but to close your mind to something like a song lyric simply because it MAY imply some kind of religious theme is being JUST as closed-minded as the nutty fundamentalists that staple themselves to the pages of the Bible, or w/e book they believe in. Maynard's not brainwashing you or trying to manipulate you to think anything; he (or the band; strange how most credit that Tool deserves goes specifically to Maynard) just wrote a beautiful song for you to enjoy and maybe stimulate you to ponder for yourself its meaning and maybe some meaning to other ideas you may have swimming in your head. Unlike some people here, I bear no hostility towards you, mjr, because I can empathize with what you're believing, as long as you might see why people are pointing the hypocrite finger right back at you for your comments.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #84
Level 1 - Lurker

(Please keep in mind I am a stone-cold atheist.)

walkerw8's reference to the Einstein site is an interesting one. I think this quote specifically is fitting to this particular argument:

"I was barked at by numerous dogs who are earning their food guarding ignorance and superstition for the benefit of those who profit from it. Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is of the same kind as the intolerance of the religious fanatics and comes from the same source. They are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional "opium of the people"—cannot bear the music of the spheres. The Wonder of nature does not become smaller because one cannot measure it by the standards of human moral and human aims."

-Albert Einstein

I myself am unable to subscribe to any kind of organized religion without feeling like an idiot performing a ventriloquist act to myself when attempting to 'pray' to God, but I still do not deny the significance of it. To say the very idea of religion is wrong and stupid would be equivalent to saying CULTURE as a concept is itself stupid, as they are often very closely tied together. Inventing religion was a big philsophical step in human intellect, because from a time where we were too occupied with surviving one day at a time, we as a species were able to produce a surplus of food and take the time to wonder WHY we exist and how the universe works. I'd personally agree with you in being dissatisfied with the hypocrisies and baseless claims found in many religions, seemingly placed only to control the people who fall for it all, but to close your mind to something like a song lyric simply because it MAY imply some kind of religious theme is being JUST as closed-minded as the nutty fundamentalists that staple themselves to the pages of the Bible, or w/e book they believe in. Maynard's not brainwashing you or trying to manipulate you to think anything; he (or the band; strange how most credit that Tool deserves goes specifically to Maynard) just wrote a beautiful song for you to enjoy and maybe stimulate you to ponder for yourself its meaning and maybe some meaning to other ideas you may have swimming in your head. Unlike some people here, I bear no hostility towards you, mjr, because I can empathize with what you're believing, as long as you might see why people are pointing the hypocrite finger right back at you for your comments.
monkeyintheworld
09-27-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistarChang View Post
"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here"

In light of the rest of the song, I think perhaps what Maynard means it that 'repugnant' is any individual who wishes to live selfishly (ie. killing other monkeys over pieces of the ground) rather than working with the whole to realise a utopia, an Eden that the human race could easily achieve if only we would open our fucking eyes.

I believe sir you have hit the nail dead center :)
Old 09-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #85
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistarChang View Post
"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here"

In light of the rest of the song, I think perhaps what Maynard means it that 'repugnant' is any individual who wishes to live selfishly (ie. killing other monkeys over pieces of the ground) rather than working with the whole to realise a utopia, an Eden that the human race could easily achieve if only we would open our fucking eyes.

I believe sir you have hit the nail dead center :)
thirdeyecreationist
10-04-2006, 11:01 AM

Well, if you put down Tool, maybe that's perfect for you, I'm not gonna sit here and judge you, no matter how much I love the band. That said (and I hope I'm not repeating anyone here), a couple of things:

It looks like the use of the word repugnant is what ticked you off, as if Maynard (or the angels) was sitting back ang judging us. Many religions also maintain that higher powers judge us, but I feel only create fear. The only one even qualified to judge us, doesn't. The word repugnant, however, isn't necessarily a harsh judgement, one of it's definitions is "opposed or contrary, as in nature or character," a repeating theme in Tool's work. Perhaps a call to rise above our
current level of consciousness (like the rest of Tools stuff)?

In my experience of coming across things which I have the same reaction to, I leave them to. Its always for the best in the end. The things come back to me when I'm open to them and they can serve me in my journey. Maybe you posted this and one or all of the replies have opened you to some awesome possibliities. I'm sure you also pissed off some Tool fans, but that's okay. At least you were honest.

Namaste
Old 10-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #86
Level 2 - Poster

Well, if you put down Tool, maybe that's perfect for you, I'm not gonna sit here and judge you, no matter how much I love the band. That said (and I hope I'm not repeating anyone here), a couple of things:

It looks like the use of the word repugnant is what ticked you off, as if Maynard (or the angels) was sitting back ang judging us. Many religions also maintain that higher powers judge us, but I feel only create fear. The only one even qualified to judge us, doesn't. The word repugnant, however, isn't necessarily a harsh judgement, one of it's definitions is "opposed or contrary, as in nature or character," a repeating theme in Tool's work. Perhaps a call to rise above our
current level of consciousness (like the rest of Tools stuff)?

In my experience of coming across things which I have the same reaction to, I leave them to. Its always for the best in the end. The things come back to me when I'm open to them and they can serve me in my journey. Maybe you posted this and one or all of the replies have opened you to some awesome possibliities. I'm sure you also pissed off some Tool fans, but that's okay. At least you were honest.

Namaste

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply