opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 AM   #81
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/13 - Hammersmith, UK - Apollo

Awesome gig! It was the first time I've ever seen them in a Theatre rather than a festival. Here's my review:

http://www.filthyrocket.com/article/...-13-06-06.html
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 02:54 AM   #82
Level 1 - Lurker

It was my first time seeing Tool, and they definately lived up to my expectations. They were pretty tight I though, and Justin is just pure genius, there were times when I was just staring at him amazed. I never realised quite how much stuff he plays!

I really enjoyed the new stuff live, esp Vicarious, which suprised me.

The red light on Justin's bass rig will be http://www.korg.co.uk/products/tuner...tu_dtr1000.asp or the model before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny
Dunno if they're on here, but a big shout out to Chris... the guy who was forced to queue for his bag because he and his lady friend both put their house keys in their bag... and then left it in the cloakroom!
I think that'd be me (I have a big beard?), if so, cheers man! Was cool talking to you, definately made the time go faster. Where did you end up? Take it you got home alright in the end? We got back at about 1:30am, after running around Kings Cross for 15 minutes because no-one there knew what trains were going where!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 02:59 AM   #83
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Haha, yeah you had a big beard. Well, it wasn't big, it was trimmed to perfection. Well we took your heads up to go to Mean Fiddler, so we got the tube to Tottenham Court Road, then we were handed a flier to get into an indie/electro club on the cheap. So we went there instead, that sorted us till 3am, then we decided to walk to Soho and find the 24hour internet cafe we mention. We found it after about 2 minutes, purely at random, we just decided to walk down a small little side road 'because it looked cool', and it happened to have the net cafe on it. So we stayed there till 7, then headed home. Was a mental night!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 AM   #84
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

An awesome experience, I really want to try and hold on to it for as long as possible. All the hassle with the cloakroom and waiting was just insignificant, the night belonged to Tool. Just before they came on, they were really fucking with the audience, turning the music on and then off and on again. The suspence pissed a few people off I think. At the end they looked so united on stage, almost as if they were posing for band photographs or something, I would never of imagined them so happy, it was really pleasing to see. Does anyone know what it was that danny tried to throw up to the circle? He came close.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 03:20 AM   #85
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Danny and Adam both tried to hit the circle with drum skins.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #86
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny
Danny and Adam both tried to hit the circle with drum skins.
haha..that was funny,just waiting for danny to let rip and then..a lateral pass to adam who unleashed it and nearly hit a girl leaning down from the railing..unintentional of course..but it was funny..

as for the gig..my 2nd time seeing tool saw them at PUNCHTOWN racecourse..or so it was named on toolband..punchestown is in kildare outside outside dublin..
hammersmith apollo is not the greatest venue yet there was something special about seeing tool there..i have never seen so many tool fans in the same place before..that the best thing about it..the sense of community..and appreciation of such a damn good band.

1)DID ANYONE THINK THAT the it was too loud for rosetta stoned..i mean..it was difficult to hear the best parts of the song..such as adams part at 8:14 on the disc..you know the one..still the song was amazing...maynard walking across the stage..then picture this..haha...brilliant..
2)THE EXTENDED ending to stinkfist was brilliant. 3)46@2-GREAT
..AND SO ON....schism was my favourite of the night...the double timing near the end sounded like a piss take of some dodgy 80's prog band..which was techically pulled off..and amazing.some timing.lateralus was good to hear the eyes at the beginning....

justin comes out on his own..then adam walks in..faces him..plays lost keys slowly..the look on his face..so great the mood was unique..in fact the look on AJs face while a few people were crowd surfing..i( saw about 5 people doing it..which was nice...nice in the sense that it was only 5)while this was happening aj was just staring forward into the crowd at no one in particular..with a kind of ..yes..we are this good..and fuck yes..it's not that we know it..but..let's face it ..who else is this original..we are you could see it in his face..the look of why are some of you getting so excited we do this everynight and we are damn good!..did you think we were gonna be bad?!haha..most humble band ever...my only regret is that i didnt get a tshirt..but i figured i'd order them over the net!....danny carey-that drum solo thing he did i forgot in between which song WAS INCREDIBLE!..i couldnt believe what i was hearing..chancelor seems like a really nice bloke..dont they all!.and a great bass player..maynards singing was awesome..and the joke he made about czech rep beating usa 3 nil was funny as was the belgium one..but it was hard to hear what he was saying at times..it was definitely worth going to london to see from ireland..i wonder how many people did go from here..but i was talking to one guy who got a stick of danny's..and i heard a few ni PEOPLE around too.

DID ANYONE GO TO SEE ROBERT FRIPP N ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL THE SAME DAY I WAS EXPECTING to a few tool fans!...but it was more king crimson..middle aged fans..with a few younger fans..there was a service on before hs performance at 1:15..plenty of tourists then who were probably wondering why is this guy here with guitars beside an altar and a funny looking electronic set-up..which he used to good effect..as 1:15 came around there was fripp and the soundscape commenced..what a setting..st..pauls and fripp..the service was good support for fripp!it set the scene..such an impressive casement!..tool and robert fripp on the same day..wow.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #87
Level 3 - Talker

Forgot to mention. Did anyone else see Maynard pointing upwards then pointing at Adam during Rosetta Stoned? hmmm hehe

Also adam leaned toward maynard during RS too. Wonder if they were toying with us or if the song is really about Adam.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 08:59 AM   #88
curious george

Bincount™: 6546

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy_is_displeased
Forgot to mention. Did anyone else see Maynard pointing upwards then pointing at Adam during Rosetta Stoned? hmmm hehe

Also adam leaned toward maynard during RS too. Wonder if they were toying with us or if the song is really about Adam.
I doubt it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #89
Level 4 - Thinker

someone must have pictures of this gig, i saw the security shining their little lights threatenly at loads of people
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #90
tdn hottie

Bincount™: 35

i've written a blog about it on my myspace
http://www.myspace.com/37558489
its even got a few short video clips in there.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #91
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 278

Overall it was an amazing show. I had no bag troubles, didn’t even queue at half 7, was sitting left centre in the circle, one row in from the barriers, great view and sound was perfect.

Few things I would criticise – opening with Rosetta. My friend really liked this with the Lost Keys intro, but personally I thought the song wasn’t the best choice. It’s rather meandering for the first few minutes on the album, and live it didn’t have much of an impact. But that’s just personal taste. Stinkfist came in straight after and got the adrenaline pumping and I think the same can be said for most of the crowd.

I think if the band played one more of the longer, more progressive – dare I say ‘epic’ – tracks, maybe some Pushit, Reflection or something, the set would have been taken that extra step up. Hopefully this will happen when they arrive in town again J

Those are rather minor criticisms, the show was amazing, and the band had this wonderful sense of unity and enjoyment, the hugging, sitting down together, groovy surf dancing etc. Splendid moments indeed.

Danny stole it in my opinion – the numerous breaks, such as in Right In Two, 46 &2 and Rosetta were nailed with inhuman perfection. That man is worth the money alone.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy_is_displeased

As I said, he pointed at Adam, then himself, and it seemed very clear to me from where I was at the front that he was indicating for both their volumes to be increased.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #93
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydy
DID ANYONE GO TO SEE ROBERT FRIPP N ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL THE SAME DAY I WAS EXPECTING to a few tool fans!...but it was more king crimson..middle aged fans..with a few younger fans..there was a service on before hs performance at 1:15..plenty of tourists then who were probably wondering why is this guy here with guitars beside an altar and a funny looking electronic set-up..which he used to good effect..as 1:15 came around there was fripp and the soundscape commenced..what a setting..st..pauls and fripp..the service was good support for fripp!it set the scene..such an impressive casement!..tool and robert fripp on the same day..wow.
yes! it was wonderful! st paul's cathedral as a venue was awesome!
and the gig was fantastic! shame they didn't play the pot, but they played that the 14th so it's not so bad...
right in two was immense live and while i found vicarious a bit underwhelming on cd it was a lot better live.
justin at the end of the gig looked like he was loving it!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #94
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrophix
As I said, he pointed at Adam, then himself, and it seemed very clear to me from where I was at the front that he was indicating for both their volumes to be increased.

yeah he would have done that for the mix on his his own monitors, nothing to do with what we were hearing, the volume of that mix is completely different and is down to the sound engineer and live producer (if there was one)
Old 06-16-2006, 03:28 AM   #95
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I was one of the (apparently) many Northern Irish people at the show on the 13th (and the 14th).

The sound wasn't perfect on the 13th but I'd say the performance was a lot more atmospheric. In about the 15 minutes before the band came on there was a real electricity in the air and a sense of anticipation.

When the curtain dropped it really reminded me of the 'Disap...pear' moment when I saw APC :)

I thought 'Rosetta Stoned' was a slightly weird option to start with as it takes a while to get going but the 'Overwhelmed as one might be' bit was great and gave me goosebumps. 'Stinkfist' was awesome as well. 'Jambi' and 'Schism' were both really good but I kind of felt a bit distanced from the whole thing, not like I was really seeing Tool. I'd been waiting five years for my first Tool show so it was probably overhyped in my mind a fair bit and they didn't seem as into it or as tight as I was expecting. The atmosphere was kind of more informal than APC or NIN as well.

'Right in Two' really disappointed me live, as it's one of my favourite songs on the album, but I kind of felt myself getting bored with it live. 'Sober' with the visuals was awesome but then to me the show really hit high gear. 'Lateralus' was the kind of awe inspiring almost spiritual experience I've heard people describe in the past. It's one of my favourite Tool songs, and I really wasn't expecting them to play it. The lyrics also took on more significance seeing Maynard perform them and there was one point mid way through the song where the music and visuals really blended together and it was a beautiful moment.

'Vicarious' was probably the most intense song of the night for me. They blasted through it like the world was ending around them and again the lyrics were sung with such conviction and anger that the song was taken to a new level.

'AENima' was a great ending moment with the 'Praying for rain' bit giving me shivers again. Justin's run down the fretboard in Jambi before the Meshuggah-esque break and Danny's drum solo in 46&2 also had me grinning ear to ear.

Overall it was a great night and one I won't forget, but I guess I was expecting it to top NIN in Brixton which it unfortunately didn't. I'm more of a Tool fan so probably went in with too high expectations, but I kind of wasn't expecting the drum fluffs etc.

I really hope some boots of the shows surface, but with the no bags rule that might be unlikely :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #96
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm from Portugal and I went to London just to see Tool play. What an amazing show!!! I saw them in 2002 at the Ozzfest and I also saw them in May at SBSR Festival.
The London show has a special meaning for me because it was the first time I saw a Tool only concert. It was also special because I went with my best girlfriend and my boyfriend (we were celebrating our 10th year together so I'm sure we will be be together for at least 10.000 days more ;) )
The show lasted a bit longer than in Lisbon and I managed to see them quite well from where I was standing. The crowd was also amazing and sang along most of the songs.
Stinkfist and aenima were defenetly two of my favorites.
I wish they'd played The Pot, they played it in Lisbon and it was great.
Hope to see them in Fall in Lisbon (as Maynard said we will) or in London in November... Who knowns...

"It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive"
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 01:29 AM   #97
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 59

first tool concert, and i was thoroughly impressed. the sound was excellent, and the visuals were ok. Overall, the performance was mind-blowing
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #98
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, I seem to be the only person here who was unimpressed by the band I had waited so long to see. Technically the band were excellent but I thought the selection of songs was poor, intros too long, screens behind the band were uneccessary (call me old aged but I go to watch the band, not some TV screens). Would also like to hear the songs played as they are on the CD without all the little add ons. A little too much pretention.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #99
Level 9 - Obstreperous

wow, that's odd, not finding tool pretentious on record but finding them overly pretentious live? I wouldn't say they were mind blowing, and tbh I've seen better live acts already this year, but it was just a warm up tour and they WERE very good (just not "OMFG MINDBLOWING" worthy). I will definately see them in November, when they've warmed up and have prepared for a large tour, then I'll pass judgement on whether they've lost their touch or not.

I thought the video screens wer understated compared to what i've seen of the lateralus tour.

Last edited by Jimmeny; 06-18-2006 at 03:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #100
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machar
Well, I seem to be the only person here who was unimpressed by the band I had waited so long to see. Technically the band were excellent but I thought the selection of songs was poor, intros too long, screens behind the band were uneccessary (call me old aged but I go to watch the band, not some TV screens). Would also like to hear the songs played as they are on the CD without all the little add ons. A little too much pretention.
I hate bands who play things exactly the same and exactly like the record all the time - if I wanted to hear that I could simply put the CD. I far prefer bands to push songs forward and evolve ideas over time. It also makes for a unique live performance every time rather than a stagnant run through of the same old songs.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-19-2006, 04:36 AM   #101
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
(call me old aged but I go to watch the band, not some TV screens). Would also like to hear the songs played as they are on the CD without all the little add ons. A little too much pretention.
maybe you should have stayed at home and listened to the cd's then. quite why anyone wants to go to a concert to hear a note for note rendition of the songs is beyond me. you should have known what to expect - tool have said many times that their music on cd is just a starting place for where they take the songs in a live setting and that the songs don't feel complete until after lengthy touring. tool are not the most active band on stage either. it is great to have the beautiful images to look at. and maynard does have the coolest silhouette ever.

and you are old aged! (but i bet not as old as me!)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #102
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Im actually quite disapointed that they didnt do more experimenting. They added a bit to Stinkfist, added a bit to Schism, and had a nice little synth thing near the end. Other than that it was pretty much as "on the record". (except for the odd lyrical mix up)

Here's hoping that they mess around a bit more on the "proper" tour
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: