opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 05. Schism
User Name
Password
Old 03-09-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Unity Consciousness

I believe that Maynard wrote the lyrics about unity consciousness.

Anyone agree?

Discuss
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: Unity Consciousness

You're gonna have to explain yourself a lot better than that, methinks.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 3653

i disagree

i think the unity unconsicousness doesnt exist and that this is a song about a schism as the title suggests
Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotating_Energy_Field
I believe that Maynard wrote the lyrics about unity consciousness.

Anyone agree?

Discuss
Umm, I think I know what you mean...perhaps how we have fallen into polar consciousness from a unity consciousness reality? And only through compassion and communication can we heal this schism not only within ourselves, but our entire collective?

paraflux said it, though....explain yourself.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

You need to explain yourself further.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

'I think of prior tool albums 'AEnema' and 'Lateralus', lyrically, I had this idea of trying to share things and push some kind of higher purpose - enlightenment, this global consciousness thing - and everything thats going on nowadays has kind of left me a little disappointed, a little bummed.' - Maynard James Keenan, Kerrang! Interview March 2006

This is what got me thinking about the subject matter within Schism. I'll explain by pointing out important phrases, in order to understand what I'm saying here you need to have some knowledge of Drunvalo's teachings as pointed out in Bob Frissell's books.

'I know the pieces fit cos' I watched them fall away' :
This phrase could be refering to Maynard viewing himself as an "ascended master", watching humanity go from being in a state of unified consciousness to individual consciousness.

'The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so we cannot see to reach an end crippling our communication.' :
I think that this could be refering to the cataclysm (pole shift) that led to our transition from unity consciousness. I see the pharse 'burned a hole between us' as a symbol of forced change, the 'crippling our communication' phrase probably means that we can't communicate like we used to do because of this change.

'No fault, none to blame it doesn't mean I don't desire to point the finger, blame the other' :
Maynard is saying that what happened was a natural proccess that no one is responsible for. Even so, individual consciousness makes us blame others for things that have gone wrong (Frissell talks about this in Nothing In The Book Is True... he calls it "victim consciousness")

'I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing' :
What he is saying here is that because we think individually we are torn apart as a collective by 'our second guessing' (differing opinions) and that it could eventually lead to our downfall.

'Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed lovers/brothers' :
This means that a lack of communication on a collective level tears people apart. After all, we are all brothers and we are all in the same boat but yet people are still horrible to each other on this level of consciousness.

Don't forget that Schism is defined in the Oxford dictionary as :
'The division of a group into opposing sections or parties.'

This explanation makes perfect sense.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
'I think of prior tool albums 'AEnema' and 'Lateralus', lyrically, I had this idea of trying to share things and push some kind of higher purpose - enlightenment, this global consciousness thing - and everything thats going on nowadays has kind of left me a little disappointed, a little bummed.' - Maynard James Keenan, Kerrang! Interview March 2006

This is what got me thinking about the subject matter within Schism. I'll explain by pointing out important phrases, in order to understand what I'm saying here you need to have some knowledge of Drunvalo's teachings as pointed out in Bob Frissell's books.

This phrase could be refering to Maynard viewing himself as an "ascended master", watching humanity go from being in a state of unified consciousness to individual consciousness.

'The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so we cannot see to reach an end crippling our communication.' :
I think that this could be refering to the cataclysm (pole shift) that led to our transition from unity consciousness. I see the pharse 'burned a hole between us' as a symbol of forced change, the 'crippling our communication' phrase probably means that we can't communicate like we used to do because of this change.

'No fault, none to blame it doesn't mean I don't desire to point the finger, blame the other' :
Maynard is saying that what happened was a natural proccess that no one is responsible for. Even so, individual consciousness makes us blame others for things that have gone wrong (Frissell talks about this in Nothing In The Book Is True... he calls it "victim consciousness")

What he is saying here is that because we think individually we are torn apart as a collective by 'our second guessing' (differing opinions) and that it could eventually lead to our downfall.

'Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed lovers/brothers' :
This means that a lack of communication on a collective level tears people apart. After all, we are all brothers and we are all in the same boat but yet people are still horrible to each other on this level of consciousness.

Thank you
Old 03-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Sorry. Could you post me a link or help me find the 2006 interview in kerrang ?

thx
Old 04-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I don't know... to me that seems like a stretch.
I'm inclined to believe it is more of a seperation from one's spirit due to, i don't know, material needs?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

I think Schism might be about MJK's mom.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

If your theory is true, could "Right In Two" be somehow related??
Old 05-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
What he is saying here is that because we think individually we are torn apart as a collective by 'our second guessing' (differing opinions) and that it could eventually lead to our downfall
i'm confused. isn't tool all about us thinking individually and that lack of will lead to our downfall?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:42 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

i think sometimes people look at the lyrics with the intension of finding a deeper meaning thats not there. i believe that the song is about the decay of a relationship - as the title suggests. bear this in mind and listen to the song and *drum roll* - "the pieces fit".

i understand that in certain songs ("forty-six & 2" for example) the lyrics refer to obscure topics, but once you understand the subject matter they become easily digestable

"Pure intention juxtaposed will set two lovers souls in motion
Disintegrating as it goes testing our communication"
- i believe this refers to the saying 'opposites attract', and then the realisation that the novelty of this alone isnt enough to base a relationship on

"The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so
We cannot see to reach an end crippling our communication."
- continuing on the same theme, the thrill of being round someone whos the polar opposite of you may be exciting for awhile, but soon enough its going to hinder, rather than help, your progress as lovers
Old 06-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

DIS SONG IZ BOUT TOOLZ MUM! DUR! IDIOTS!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubt
LOL - statistically you have a VERY good chance of being right!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM   #16
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5441

songs about his mother: jimmy, judith, wings, and possibly orestes.
period.
"Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion."
-Bruce Lee
Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 AM   #17
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Tool have one shared mother now? crazy.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageboy View Post
i'm confused. isn't tool all about us thinking individually and that lack of will lead to our downfall?

I don't have it with me right now. But in the Aenima liner notes it talks about every time a philosipher, scientist, athlete etc. etc. discovers new ideas, breaks a new record etc. the human species as a whole evolves. If everyone thinks individually educates themselves, and works towards improving themselves, in turn, they will end up helping the rest of society.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotating_Energy_Field View Post

excellent theory, i like it, fits well with the overall theme of lateralus, which i didn't think simple relationship between two humans and no deeper explenation did not.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #20
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

the absolute saddest thing about all of this is that the dude's being told to explain "unity consciousness" (even by a mod!) ...ON A TOOL-APPRECIATION FORUM!!!

...are you fuckin' kidding me?!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

(double post)

1: "hey, ever heard that song by tool? ...i think it's called forty-six & 2!"

2: "yeah! it fuckin' rocks my socks! i wonder what it's about, though..."

1: "well, a brief yet informative section on toolshed.down.net's popular TOOL FAQ has the answer ...but i'm not gonna read it."

2: "yeah, me neither. but i'm still a hardcore ogtlzdgari92oopelrgarf who should be able to comment on tool-related shit regardless."

...yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...
Old 01-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
Banned.

Bincount™: 51

im surprised no one said anything about the story of Osiris!!!!!!

if u never heard the story its basically talking about 2 brothers (osiris and set) and 2 sisters (isis and nephthys). isis was married to osiris and nephthys was married to set. set killed osiris and put his body into a box and floated it down the "nile" river. the killing upsetted isis so she and her sister found him to bring him back to life. set found out so he cut osiris' body into many peices and spreaded them through out the world so that his sisters could not bring him back to life. the sisters went to look for the pieces and with the help of thoth through magic were able to restore all the pieces together. this not only brought him back to life but also gave him immortality!!!

now what the story is saying is that osiris was at first in the first level of consciousness as a whole (42 & 2) which is a unified consciousness and when his body was cut into pieces he was in the second level of consciousness (44 & 2) which our disharmonic consciousness that we are in now. then when the pieces were fit together he entered the 3rd level which is 46 and 2 and not only back to a unified consciousness but was immortal. they used this understanding of how he became immortal as the template for how other people could reach the same state of consciousness. this also became the religon of egypt.

this explains the whole song but aspecially these specific lines:
-"I know the pieces fit
'Cause I watched them fall away"

-"Pure intention juxtaposed
Will set two lovers' souls in motion"...... i should also point that through the egyptian point of view it was through sexual energy that immortality was reached.

-"To bring the pieces back together
Rediscover communication"

-"Sense of compassion
Between supposed brothers
Between supposed lovers"...... ~refresh~ brothers osiris and set with their lovers isis and nephtys

no doubt im 100% sure this song is about unity consciousness.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #23
Banned.

to further explain schism somemore (taken from drunvalo):

aaww yes... there was a man named thoth who wrote "the forty-two books of thoth"- reconstructed by donald beaman if u are interested. there were 42 books and 2 aside from the main body.(~refresh~ 42 + 2 is the first level of consciousness)

anyway, inside the book are neters (neters are gods with a small g) they each represent a different chromosome, aspect, and characteristic of life. they showed the pathway to move from the 1st to the 2nd level of consciousness-by the way this osiris' genetic code used b/c he is an example of ascension.

but!!!!~~~ something bad happened to this egyptian religon. a schism took place. lower and upper egypt seperated in a certain way where upper egypts images of the neters were slightly different then lower egypts. this made everything very confusing b/c one area would say that one of their neters, like anubis, "was God" with a big G and the other would say "isis is God". this ended up creating 88 different ideas of God in the country.

this totally fucked up everything because originally there was only suppost to be one God (one spirit, one consciousness). due to this division a new religion was accidently formed and it was called Christianity. the egyptian religon got corrupted and christianity was formed from bullshit pretty much. so in other words, the schism is the division and misunderstanding of the osiris religion that created other very seperated religons.

right now everyone is separated and scattered apart due to this schism, due to the fact that we are still at 44 and 2. we must put the pieces back together and get back on our pathway of ascension!!! we must become unified once again!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #24
Banned.

oh what the hell! i might as well add my last point. put the cherry on top i guess.i give lots of thanks to iAMtheMA! or whomever came up with the connection with the 13 tracks of lateralus and the 13-chakra system

anywho. this is the 4th chakra of the 8 chakra system (or the 5th on the 13 chakra system (5th track on lateralus)) which is the heart. it is the balance b/t the higher and lower self through love and compassion. this is referring to venus which is known for love and beauty. venus indicates a person who is loving, compassionate, and gracefully balanced.

oh and this is also referring to the 7th sephirah(quabalah) of polarity. light from the sun ((3rd eye)(6th chakra)(6th sephirah)(track 10 disposition) is broken up as a prism into many rays. here at the 7th victory is achieved when there is a balance b/t the individual and the collective. its also about connecting with others through communication and create unity and feeling insired. this includes all forms of relationships. the 7th is very unstable but when combined with the 8th sephirah ((throat)(5th chakra)(mercury)(track7 parabola)) it makes everything more stable.

lol cool huh?????? ill probably have to make a chart or an image for you guys to c this better. if u cant c a connection yet then god dammit wake up or something.

please inform me of any mistakes made.

Last edited by ]v[edusa; 01-05-2007 at 03:35 AM..
Old 01-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllvllledusa View Post
oh what the hell! i might as well add my last point. put the cherry on top i guess.i give lots of thanks to iAMtheMA! or whomever came up with the connection with the 13 tracks of lateralus and the 13-chakra system

anywho. this is the 4th chakra of the 8 chakra system (or the 5th on the 13 chakra system (5th track on lateralus)) which is the heart. it is the balance b/t the higher and lower self through love and compassion. this is referring to venus which is known for love and beauty. venus indicates a person who is loving, compassionate, and gracefully balanced.

oh and this is also referring to the 7th sephirah(quabalah) of polarity. light from the sun ((3rd eye)(6th chakra)(6th sephirah)(track 10 disposition) is broken up as a prism into many rays. here at the 7th victory is achieved when there is a balance b/t the individual and the collective. its also about connecting with others through communication and create unity and feeling insired. this includes all forms of relationships. the 7th is very unstable but when combined with the 8th sephirah ((throat)(5th chakra)(mercury)(track7 parabola)) it makes everything more stable.

lol cool huh?????? ill probably have to make a chart or an image for you guys to c this better. if u cant c a connection yet then god dammit wake up or something.

please inform me of any mistakes made.

i'm pretty new to all this stuff and it's amazing what i've found out from just this thread. i have read the bob frissel book but when it comes to chakras i'm fuzzy on all of it. not to seem like a complete idiot BUT, a chart or an image would be nice.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #26
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpclooli View Post
i'm pretty new to all this stuff and it's amazing what i've found out from just this thread. i have read the bob frissel book but when it comes to chakras i'm fuzzy on all of it. not to seem like a complete idiot BUT, a chart or an image would be nice.
read the flower of life by drunvalo melchizedek... it explains all of this way better then bob frissell. i got some images in my thread here http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=72742 being a bob frissell reader, will you please read it and let me know what u think? i need a few people knowing where im coming from on a few things. its so hard to explain.

[by the way!!!!! i made an error in my last post. sorry. i said, "light from the sun ((3rd eye)(6th chakra)(6th sephirah)(track 10 disposition) is broken up as a prism into many rays." the sun is actually referring to the 7th chakra (triad/crown)]
Old 01-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
if you believe that, TRULY believe that peon, back it up its ignorance like this that has stopped us from evolving spiritually.

with much love

chris
x
Old 01-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllvllledusa View Post
read the flower of life by drunvalo melchizedek... it explains all of this way better then bob frissell. i got some images in my thread here http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=72742 being a bob frissell reader, will you please read it and let me know what u think? i need a few people knowing where im coming from on a few things. its so hard to explain.

[by the way!!!!! i made an error in my last post. sorry. i said, "light from the sun ((3rd eye)(6th chakra)(6th sephirah)(track 10 disposition) is broken up as a prism into many rays." the sun is actually referring to the 7th chakra (triad/crown)]

i cn toatally back this view up, after reading the books they really are an eye opener if you pardon the pun (3rd eye and all that jazz).

chris
x
Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by solowend View Post
i think sometimes people look at the lyrics with the intension of finding a deeper meaning thats not there. i believe that the song is about the decay of a relationship - as the title suggests. bear this in mind and listen to the song and *drum roll* - "the pieces fit".

i understand that in certain songs ("forty-six & 2" for example) the lyrics refer to obscure topics, but once you understand the subject matter they become easily digestable

"Pure intention juxtaposed will set two lovers souls in motion
Disintegrating as it goes testing our communication"
- i believe this refers to the saying 'opposites attract', and then the realisation that the novelty of this alone isnt enough to base a relationship on

"The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so
We cannot see to reach an end crippling our communication."
- continuing on the same theme, the thrill of being round someone whos the polar opposite of you may be exciting for awhile, but soon enough its going to hinder, rather than help, your progress as lovers
You have got to be kidding.....Every Tool song throws the meaning right in your face but many people's intuitions are flawed and can't see a deeper meaning.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

For me this is what the song is about.
Consider the following:
We are all one conciousness, a direct branch of the creator's, or god if you like, conciousness. We do not die our conciousness inhabits a different physical form (reincarnation). There are many levels of conciousness. We have forgotten this truth and are now in a moment where we are starting to remember that we are all one and one with god.
Schism is about trying to reforge that connection with god. Seeking enlightenment if you like. The word schism itself means the division or breaking of a bridge or connection between two identities.
Here is an interperatation of selected parts (if you want a full one just ask):

'I know the pieces fit'

Referring to the mysticism schools that aren't at the forefront of todays society as they were in the egyption society (before the pharaohs). It is not a literal building but the knowledge of oneness that has been lost. This is what he referrs to with the line i know the pieces fit.

''Cause I watched them fall away'

This deals with the concept of reincarnation and of conciousness being eternal. He literally saw the decline of this truth not as one person but as one conciousness in different physical froms over a period of years. Starting with the egyptian pharaohs who forced the belief of many god onto the nation.

'To bring the pieces back together
Rediscover communication'

Simply stating that he (when i mention he i mean the perspective that this song is wrote from) craves to remember the truth and grow spiritually and 'rediscover communication' with god.

'The poetry
That comes from the squaring off between
And the circling is worth it
Finding beauty in the dissonance'

This is saying even though all this bad stuff happened (we lost contact with god and forgot the truth) the creative outout that came from it was worthwhile.
'Finiding beauty in the dissonance' means creating something truly wonderful in this disharmonic level of conciosness.

Doomed to crumble unless we grow
And strengthen our communication

This is saying unless we remeber this truth there will be no way of entering the 4th dimension and next level on conciousness and we will all be returning to the 3rd dimension when the dimension shift happens as we won;t be able to cope with it. But if we 'grow' and strengthen our communication with the one concisness and god we will be able to ascend into the next level of conciousness.

with much love
Chris
x
Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotating_Energy_Field View Post

This is the best post I have seen in a while. It makes perfect sense to me. Nothing is this book is true...but it is actually how this are is an awesome book. I agree 100% with your interpretation.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I first took this song and the lyrics to express my broken heart. However, I later was given an insight by the very person who I shed my tears over, a new view and a better understanding as to what this song was really about. Communication is the key.....
Old 03-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 372

Communication...not only verbally, but also physically, spiritually, ESP.

Discover, or rediscover, it.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: