Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-05-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake
Adam. The problem is he plays the same "solo" (i.e. whacks a string and lets the distortion ring) in every song on this album. It's repetitive, I have urges to skip them, every single time..
As all 'experienced' TooL fans do.

Quote:
Your rage will be your downfall sir. Let people have their own opinions.
You are trying to speak logic to a 13 year old emo virgin, its futile.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #81
On Probation

Bincount™: 163
Re: Hi Adam, you um ruined this song

Quote:
Adam. The problem is he plays the same "solo" (i.e. whacks a string and lets the distortion ring) in every song on this album. It's repetitive, I have urges to skip them, every single time..
As all 'experienced' TooL fans do.

Quote:
Your rage will be your downfall sir. Let people have their own opinions.
You are trying to speak logic to a 13 year old emo virgin, its futile.
OFFLINE |  
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
05-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Man Im a big dredg fan but the dude with the name dredg do you not see that dredgs latest cd was the biggest commercialized dung released last year. I mean jesus this isnt tools best record but they are far superior to dredg....
P.S. Leitmotif is great though. el cielo wasnt bad a little too "my vagina hurts" whiney.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #82
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

Man Im a big dredg fan but the dude with the name dredg do you not see that dredgs latest cd was the biggest commercialized dung released last year. I mean jesus this isnt tools best record but they are far superior to dredg....
P.S. Leitmotif is great though. el cielo wasnt bad a little too "my vagina hurts" whiney.
05-05-2006, 01:30 PM

Glad to see another Austinite posting on here ^ were you at Encore for the Cd release and free beer?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #83
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 15

Glad to see another Austinite posting on here ^ were you at Encore for the Cd release and free beer?
05-05-2006, 01:34 PM

Naw man I actually received the album that monday at waterloo's cos i have a friend that knows the owner and i got him to get it a day early. I wanted to go but i ended up just listenin to the album and smokin that night.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #84
Level 8 - Vociferous

Naw man I actually received the album that monday at waterloo's cos i have a friend that knows the owner and i got him to get it a day early. I wanted to go but i ended up just listenin to the album and smokin that night.
05-05-2006, 01:35 PM

nm
Old 05-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #85
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

nm
OFFLINE |  
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
05-05-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellenkellerkarate
nm
Cool name man i pictured it in my head and had a good laugh thanks.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #86
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellenkellerkarate
nm
Cool name man i pictured it in my head and had a good laugh thanks.
05-05-2006, 02:11 PM

I relistend to it--The guitar on track 7 is amazing. And I don't know the tracks by name yet, but there is a solo he does either in track 4 or 3 but it really does kinda hurt my ears. The pitches are really high and i had to turn down my shitty car speakers.

But overall, i think some people are being too hard on him.
He's still adam fucking jones.
"Why does God not blot out the sun?"

www.fozlur.com
Old 05-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #87
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I relistend to it--The guitar on track 7 is amazing. And I don't know the tracks by name yet, but there is a solo he does either in track 4 or 3 but it really does kinda hurt my ears. The pitches are really high and i had to turn down my shitty car speakers.

But overall, i think some people are being too hard on him.
He's still adam fucking jones.
"Why does God not blot out the sun?"

www.fozlur.com
OFFLINE |  
moneyisevil's Avatar moneyisevil
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM

bin/lock
Old 05-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #88
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

bin/lock
OFFLINE |  
AMF
05-05-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzur
While I don't think it was as bad as ruined, to me the musicianship of Adam was the weakest of the three(speaking for the album as a whole as well). Each one of them tried something new except Adam, who only half assed it. I can't really think of any song that has any similar bass parts or drum patterns, and maynards vocal style is very different as well. The only part that I see lacking in development is the guitar. It isn't about playing the most notes, but its also not about boring your audience. In a song that could have been so powerful, there are a few key things that don't push it quite that far for me. Adam's recycled riffs, and so-called solo. To me a solo is about melodic climax/melodic growth or advancement, and he didn't push this in any way shape or form. The song loses its power to me every time I get to the solo part. Think about the solo in Lateralus (the song) now THAT is a solo. I do admire his technique for sustain, but found some of the notes sounded just plain wrong to my ear. There I said it.
100% agreed.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #89
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
While I don't think it was as bad as ruined, to me the musicianship of Adam was the weakest of the three(speaking for the album as a whole as well). Each one of them tried something new except Adam, who only half assed it. I can't really think of any song that has any similar bass parts or drum patterns, and maynards vocal style is very different as well. The only part that I see lacking in development is the guitar. It isn't about playing the most notes, but its also not about boring your audience. In a song that could have been so powerful, there are a few key things that don't push it quite that far for me. Adam's recycled riffs, and so-called solo. To me a solo is about melodic climax/melodic growth or advancement, and he didn't push this in any way shape or form. The song loses its power to me every time I get to the solo part. Think about the solo in Lateralus (the song) now THAT is a solo. I do admire his technique for sustain, but found some of the notes sounded just plain wrong to my ear. There I said it.
100% agreed.
OFFLINE |  
Max T.'s Avatar Max T.
05-05-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
Some of Danny's most brilliant work starting around the middle, and it is sloppily covered by the muck of Adam.
As I listened to the record today, I noticed this exact part that you are talking about. I thought about the great drumming Danny does in the background, and Adam playing a lead over it. I think that this lead is actually somewhat necessary, not only because it fits well with the song. If you notice, the drums are a little fainter than in most other songs, and that is to fit the emotion and mood of the song, to create a more soft approach. If there was no lead in this part, than the drumming would likely take over, and probably completely change the aspect of the mood for the worse in this song. So in conclusion, I don't see anything wrong with this guitar, as it again fits very well.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #90
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Some of Danny's most brilliant work starting around the middle, and it is sloppily covered by the muck of Adam.
As I listened to the record today, I noticed this exact part that you are talking about. I thought about the great drumming Danny does in the background, and Adam playing a lead over it. I think that this lead is actually somewhat necessary, not only because it fits well with the song. If you notice, the drums are a little fainter than in most other songs, and that is to fit the emotion and mood of the song, to create a more soft approach. If there was no lead in this part, than the drumming would likely take over, and probably completely change the aspect of the mood for the worse in this song. So in conclusion, I don't see anything wrong with this guitar, as it again fits very well.
Max T.'s Avatar Max T.
05-05-2006, 10:41 PM

about ryzurs post--

this solo i see to myself as more of a lead which i talked about in the above posting. I really don't see why some of you think think that this song was ruined by the guitar (not pointing at anyone in particular though). I saw the whole emotion and purpose of this two-part epic as being low key, while gradually building and then returning to the original sound. I think the song is great just the way it is. I do understand the point made of the absence of Adam's development, despite the other three members' new approaches, though I can't find much a problem with this. But w/e, we've all got our opinions, respectfully.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #91
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

about ryzurs post--

this solo i see to myself as more of a lead which i talked about in the above posting. I really don't see why some of you think think that this song was ruined by the guitar (not pointing at anyone in particular though). I saw the whole emotion and purpose of this two-part epic as being low key, while gradually building and then returning to the original sound. I think the song is great just the way it is. I do understand the point made of the absence of Adam's development, despite the other three members' new approaches, though I can't find much a problem with this. But w/e, we've all got our opinions, respectfully.
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
05-05-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus
Hear hear
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 05-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #92
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus
Hear hear
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
OFFLINE |  
05-06-2006, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max T.
If you notice, the drums are a little fainter than in most other songs
And that is the problem, not just with this track but the entire CD.

Danny is a living legend, and his genius is the backbone of TooL songs. I don't want to STRAIN to find it and have to tune out adams relentless electronic farting.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #93
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max T.
If you notice, the drums are a little fainter than in most other songs

Danny is a living legend, and his genius is the backbone of TooL songs. I don't want to STRAIN to find it and have to tune out adams relentless electronic farting.
OFFLINE |  
Madklikor
05-06-2006, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I agree. The drumming and bass are amazing, full of original ideas and great arrangements, while adam's riffs and solos are uninspired.
This solo doesn't completely suck, but it's not what it should have been at all. It should have powerful and original, not necessarily fast but tense and strong. You're not doing something tense when you're playing this little riff then holding one note. That's what a beginner solist would do. It
Adam is the problem of this album, and the problem of Tool now. They should get a second guitarist (yeah, I'm not Tool so they do whatever they want).

Last edited by Madklikor; 05-06-2006 at 04:51 PM..
Old 05-06-2006, 04:40 AM   #94
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I agree. The drumming and bass are amazing, full of original ideas and great arrangements, while adam's riffs and solos are uninspired.
This solo doesn't completely suck, but it's not what it should have been at all. It should have powerful and original, not necessarily fast but tense and strong. You're not doing something tense when you're playing this little riff then holding one note. That's what a beginner solist would do. It
Adam is the problem of this album, and the problem of Tool now. They should get a second guitarist (yeah, I'm not Tool so they do whatever they want).

Last edited by Madklikor; 05-06-2006 at 04:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
IC's Avatar IC
05-06-2006, 08:11 AM

look at each instrument as 'playing the lyrics'. the guitar part just fuckin sobs. I love it.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:11 AM   #95
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

look at each instrument as 'playing the lyrics'. the guitar part just fuckin sobs. I love it.
05-06-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madklikor
Adam is the problem of this album, and the problem of Tool now. They should get a second guitarist (yeah, I'm not Tool so they whatever they want).
theyd probebly want you to shut the fuck up for not knowing what the hell youre talking about. But hey, I'm just a musician, whatever tool wants.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #96
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madklikor
Adam is the problem of this album, and the problem of Tool now. They should get a second guitarist (yeah, I'm not Tool so they whatever they want).
theyd probebly want you to shut the fuck up for not knowing what the hell youre talking about. But hey, I'm just a musician, whatever tool wants.
OFFLINE |  
Snakedragon
05-06-2006, 09:55 AM

actually i listened to this song again, i love adam's solo, i dont care how piss easy it is, its from the heart, and fits the mood of the song
Old 05-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #97
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

actually i listened to this song again, i love adam's solo, i dont care how piss easy it is, its from the heart, and fits the mood of the song
OFFLINE |  
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-06-2006, 10:01 AM

you think adam's work is horrible here
i think it is so moody, it drags you in totally
somber and beautiful..i dont even know if
you are refering to the same song that i have
been listening to. it is so beautiful entirely
haunting and magnificent. i know a lot of people
go on and on about his work, but really from
the depths of me..his guitar does something
to me emotionally that all other guitarists have
failed at.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #98
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

you think adam's work is horrible here
i think it is so moody, it drags you in totally
somber and beautiful..i dont even know if
you are refering to the same song that i have
been listening to. it is so beautiful entirely
haunting and magnificent. i know a lot of people
go on and on about his work, but really from
the depths of me..his guitar does something
to me emotionally that all other guitarists have
failed at.
05-06-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
so beautiful man..i know exactly what you mean here
Old 05-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #99
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

Quote:
so beautiful man..i know exactly what you mean here
05-06-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
theyd probebly want you to shut the fuck up for not knowing what the hell youre talking about.
I know perfectly what I'm talking about. So shut up now. Thank you.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #100
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
theyd probebly want you to shut the fuck up for not knowing what the hell youre talking about.
I know perfectly what I'm talking about. So shut up now. Thank you.
OFFLINE |  
05-06-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslupminoyler
His level of intensity seems to be waning on this album..
It's a lot of little taps, as if he is trying to play the drums with his guitar, which is not only weak but it hides the real drums.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #101
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslupminoyler
His level of intensity seems to be waning on this album..
It's a lot of little taps, as if he is trying to play the drums with his guitar, which is not only weak but it hides the real drums.
OFFLINE |  
eL dong
05-06-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1218JAKOB
I think you may deem it the weakest cd to date due to the lack of "roll down the windows and jam" songs. I feel that this is the strongest cd as far as growth. The pure fact that you are arguing its faults proves my point. Lateralus was genius but it was barring a few songs so much safer than 10,000 Days.
I was discussing this with an old record store owner I know and he likened it to the Beatles Revolver, which by standards was a bit of a mess in comparison to the rest of their body of work. As was Floyds Meddle......each had hints of greatness but were off just a bit. Just imagine what, and where Tool will go next. I think the best is still yet to come. Here on 10,000 Days and Wings they have taken the next step.
As for Adams playing I cant argue that he cannot solo....thats the beauty of it. He is not caught up performing fretboard ballet. Instead he makes sure that the notes are not a wasted cause - that they serve the song, and I dont really think his choices are bad. Even if they are it is HIS art not yours......do you roll into the Art Institute and demand that Picasso's work would have been better had the red paint been green?
I like this guy. Thats such a valid point. Mabye thats why i like this cd so much.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #102
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1218JAKOB
I think you may deem it the weakest cd to date due to the lack of "roll down the windows and jam" songs. I feel that this is the strongest cd as far as growth. The pure fact that you are arguing its faults proves my point. Lateralus was genius but it was barring a few songs so much safer than 10,000 Days.
I was discussing this with an old record store owner I know and he likened it to the Beatles Revolver, which by standards was a bit of a mess in comparison to the rest of their body of work. As was Floyds Meddle......each had hints of greatness but were off just a bit. Just imagine what, and where Tool will go next. I think the best is still yet to come. Here on 10,000 Days and Wings they have taken the next step.
As for Adams playing I cant argue that he cannot solo....thats the beauty of it. He is not caught up performing fretboard ballet. Instead he makes sure that the notes are not a wasted cause - that they serve the song, and I dont really think his choices are bad. Even if they are it is HIS art not yours......do you roll into the Art Institute and demand that Picasso's work would have been better had the red paint been green?
I like this guy. Thats such a valid point. Mabye thats why i like this cd so much.
OFFLINE |  
FatalDeath's Avatar FatalDeath
05-07-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:

You do realize that the whole band had to sit around after this was recorded and say to each other "yes, this is how we want this to sound." There is a REASON why it sounds like it does. They *wanted* it to sound like that. You've been tearing this album to pieces at every chance you get. Why not just...stop listening to it then? What you're saying isn't going to change the album. It's done. And Tool sure as hell isn't going to go to this thread and see *your* little hissyfits and say "boy golly gee that guy's right! Hey Adam, I think you should not suck/play better/not play as loud just like this guy says! He obviously knows more about our music than we do!"

If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Save people the waste of time that is reading your complaints about a fantastic musical experience. I know it's *cool* for you to be different, but it's getting old. Go listen to Lateralus instead.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #103
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

You do realize that the whole band had to sit around after this was recorded and say to each other "yes, this is how we want this to sound." There is a REASON why it sounds like it does. They *wanted* it to sound like that. You've been tearing this album to pieces at every chance you get. Why not just...stop listening to it then? What you're saying isn't going to change the album. It's done. And Tool sure as hell isn't going to go to this thread and see *your* little hissyfits and say "boy golly gee that guy's right! Hey Adam, I think you should not suck/play better/not play as loud just like this guy says! He obviously knows more about our music than we do!"

If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Save people the waste of time that is reading your complaints about a fantastic musical experience. I know it's *cool* for you to be different, but it's getting old. Go listen to Lateralus instead.
OFFLINE |  
05-07-2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalDeath
You do realize that the whole band had to sit around after this was recorded and say to each other "yes, this is how we want this to sound."
You do realize that the whole band did not sit around after this was recorded and say to each other "yes, this is how we want this to sound."

Engineers, producer, and, from the sound of it....adam.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:07 AM   #104
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalDeath
You do realize that the whole band had to sit around after this was recorded and say to each other "yes, this is how we want this to sound."
You do realize that the whole band did not sit around after this was recorded and say to each other "yes, this is how we want this to sound."

OFFLINE |  
FatalDeath's Avatar FatalDeath
05-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Good, as long as you were there to enlighten us all. Perhaps you should start your own band and outplay Tool? Get everything to sound exactly how you want being as how this band can't quite cut it for you.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #105
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Good, as long as you were there to enlighten us all. Perhaps you should start your own band and outplay Tool? Get everything to sound exactly how you want being as how this band can't quite cut it for you.
OFFLINE |  
Nimh
05-07-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:

That would be true, if it weren't for that fact that Tool produced themselves.

Progressive, experimental rock with hip-hop vocals. Check it out, let me know what you think!

Hold on, hold on, Children, hold on
Old 05-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #106
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 79

Quote:

Progressive, experimental rock with hip-hop vocals. Check it out, let me know what you think!

Hold on, hold on, Children, hold on
OFFLINE |  
Vicarious_Lee's Avatar Vicarious_Lee
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM

Is this guy joking? your going to insult the Hammer of the Gods? Mr. Adam Jones?, Sure Danny Carey, is a genious, he proved that when ticks and leeches came out, but alright, I guess so, everyone's got an opinion, unfortunately his has to be ignorant, and in plain sight.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:28 PM   #107
Level 4 - Thinker

Is this guy joking? your going to insult the Hammer of the Gods? Mr. Adam Jones?, Sure Danny Carey, is a genious, he proved that when ticks and leeches came out, but alright, I guess so, everyone's got an opinion, unfortunately his has to be ignorant, and in plain sight.
05-07-2006, 10:31 PM

well being a fellow guitarist, and seeing as who i idolize in terms of guitar (Jimmy Page) i would say yes he does suck. then again EVERYONE in comparison to Jimmy Page sucks so it holds little or no weight. Adam has originality, like Jimmy Page. However, he doesn't appear to have the same finesse i suppose you could say. I've always found the strong points of Tool to be Maynard's godly vocals and Danny's amazing drumming so i do have to say i don't believe Adam is all that great. but he sure as hell didn't ruin this song, i liked it just fine.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #108
Level 4 - Thinker

well being a fellow guitarist, and seeing as who i idolize in terms of guitar (Jimmy Page) i would say yes he does suck. then again EVERYONE in comparison to Jimmy Page sucks so it holds little or no weight. Adam has originality, like Jimmy Page. However, he doesn't appear to have the same finesse i suppose you could say. I've always found the strong points of Tool to be Maynard's godly vocals and Danny's amazing drumming so i do have to say i don't believe Adam is all that great. but he sure as hell didn't ruin this song, i liked it just fine.
OFFLINE |  
noresolution2's Avatar noresolution2
05-07-2006, 11:14 PM

That part where the second guitar kicks in and harmonizes with the lead for a while = genius.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #109
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 12

That part where the second guitar kicks in and harmonizes with the lead for a while = genius.
OFFLINE |  
Nicolai
05-08-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:

What you said x 2.

The drums are fucking loud enough, if there's something I love when playing drums it's when the guitar is cranked to the top ripping through everything.

If you have any problems with the sound... just turn up the volume (to 11)
Old 05-08-2006, 12:42 AM   #110
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

What you said x 2.

The drums are fucking loud enough, if there's something I love when playing drums it's when the guitar is cranked to the top ripping through everything.

If you have any problems with the sound... just turn up the volume (to 11)
OFFLINE |  
foursixandtwo's Avatar foursixandtwo
05-08-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:

How can you criticize something TOOL created. It is their art...as someone above said the song is that way BECAUSE Tool wants it that way, if they didnt--it wouldn't be on the album like that. "Hi Adam, you Um ruined this song"?????? Doubtful. The song is the way it was intended to be heard. I dont see how any of the members are capable of "ruining" something that is theirs. It is their art and that is obviously the way they wanted it. That is like telling someone they "ruined" their own painting or something. It is the artists..not yours and not for you to say if it is "ruined". Not possible.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #111
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:

How can you criticize something TOOL created. It is their art...as someone above said the song is that way BECAUSE Tool wants it that way, if they didnt--it wouldn't be on the album like that. "Hi Adam, you Um ruined this song"?????? Doubtful. The song is the way it was intended to be heard. I dont see how any of the members are capable of "ruining" something that is theirs. It is their art and that is obviously the way they wanted it. That is like telling someone they "ruined" their own painting or something. It is the artists..not yours and not for you to say if it is "ruined". Not possible.
05-08-2006, 06:11 AM

Guys..Guys. You are all spending too much time on tis solo thing. What Adam did in this song was done to convey emotion, not show off. That's what I love about Tool's music. It never trys to do anything but give a message. Adam's "solo" is supposed to make you feel something, and if you people would just stop being negative and open your self up, you would feel it. Now I can't tell you what you're supposed to feel, I guess it's differant for everyone, but it's something far more powerful than anything else out there. Now if you want an arrogant 10 minute 1,000 note guitar solo, pop in a soul less Dream Theater CD.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #112
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Guys..Guys. You are all spending too much time on tis solo thing. What Adam did in this song was done to convey emotion, not show off. That's what I love about Tool's music. It never trys to do anything but give a message. Adam's "solo" is supposed to make you feel something, and if you people would just stop being negative and open your self up, you would feel it. Now I can't tell you what you're supposed to feel, I guess it's differant for everyone, but it's something far more powerful than anything else out there. Now if you want an arrogant 10 minute 1,000 note guitar solo, pop in a soul less Dream Theater CD.
05-08-2006, 06:31 AM

HAY GUYZ, EVERY SONG HAS TO BE FANCY AND THEY HAVE TO PLAY AT LIKE ONE MILLION BPS!!!!!11111oneoneone

dont like it? dont listen to it...
Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 AM   #113
Level 2 - Poster

HAY GUYZ, EVERY SONG HAS TO BE FANCY AND THEY HAVE TO PLAY AT LIKE ONE MILLION BPS!!!!!11111oneoneone

05-08-2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh
hahaha...zing!!

If you can't hear the drums, get a hearing aid. I agree w/ everyone about the "emotion" in Adam's playing. One of Adam's characteristics that makes him a great guitarist/musician is that he knows when to play and when not to play so that it only adds to the sond and not detract from it. I hate when people measure a guitarist by how fast they can rip a solo - there's more to guitar playing than ball's out shreddin'.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #114
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh
hahaha...zing!!

If you can't hear the drums, get a hearing aid. I agree w/ everyone about the "emotion" in Adam's playing. One of Adam's characteristics that makes him a great guitarist/musician is that he knows when to play and when not to play so that it only adds to the sond and not detract from it. I hate when people measure a guitarist by how fast they can rip a solo - there's more to guitar playing than ball's out shreddin'.
OFFLINE |  
jakethesnake
05-08-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaringnihilist

Relevance to the thread = minimal

Already been said in this post even though its irrelevant = multiple times

Read the whole thing before you post this shit again. The makes a valid point. Even people agreed with him that they can't really hear the drums. That Adam drowns out the other (superior?) musicians.

Sub: the electronic farting comment was gold. I lol'd.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 AM   #115
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaringnihilist

Relevance to the thread = minimal

Already been said in this post even though its irrelevant = multiple times

Read the whole thing before you post this shit again. The makes a valid point. Even people agreed with him that they can't really hear the drums. That Adam drowns out the other (superior?) musicians.

Sub: the electronic farting comment was gold. I lol'd.
OFFLINE |  
sandmac69's Avatar sandmac69
05-08-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by something_Dark
Jesus tapdancing Christ!! These people are really disecting this album!

lets see if we can talk tool into giving us the master tapes so we can mix down our own version of Days!!!

maybe that would make these insane musicphiles happy?
Quote:
Imagine how great that would be, boosting Dannys genius and mellowing adam into the background where his recycled woodpecker guitar riffs belong.
On a similar line of thought...perhaps the problem isn't with any particular instrument, but perhaps with the final mixdown.... and I am using the word "problem" very lightly. Besides, It's not like this was supposed to be Danny's big showcase where no one had ever heard him do anyhting crazy on the drums before.

You could think of the neato rolls in said part of the song as subtle touches of Danny the Drum Machine.

And I'm sure there are many songs you have heard before where there was something kinda cool in the background and you thought to yourself "That's cool. But it would be cooler if it were a little louder." There is no need to say that it is ruined just becasue it could be a little louder.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #116
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by something_Dark
Jesus tapdancing Christ!! These people are really disecting this album!

lets see if we can talk tool into giving us the master tapes so we can mix down our own version of Days!!!

maybe that would make these insane musicphiles happy?
Quote:
Imagine how great that would be, boosting Dannys genius and mellowing adam into the background where his recycled woodpecker guitar riffs belong.
On a similar line of thought...perhaps the problem isn't with any particular instrument, but perhaps with the final mixdown.... and I am using the word "problem" very lightly. Besides, It's not like this was supposed to be Danny's big showcase where no one had ever heard him do anyhting crazy on the drums before.

You could think of the neato rolls in said part of the song as subtle touches of Danny the Drum Machine.

And I'm sure there are many songs you have heard before where there was something kinda cool in the background and you thought to yourself "That's cool. But it would be cooler if it were a little louder." There is no need to say that it is ruined just becasue it could be a little louder.
OFFLINE |  
Yard Man's Avatar Yard Man
05-08-2006, 07:11 AM

I just felt the need to say... bullshit.
The guitar work on this album is great, it fits the mood perfectly.

Vicarious Jambi - love the heavy guitars
Wings (pt 1) - I saw someone post once about the heavy part at like the 4:00 min mark that suddenly just cuts out, while I agreed at first it was too short I than thought of it as something beautiful that was cut short prematurely, IE Judith Marie.
10,000 Days - The slow dragging out and feedback of the one note for like 7 seconds gave me shivers over the amazing drums (which I can hear just fine)
The Pot - Initially HATED Maynard's vocals but when you start the bass and drums than throw in the guitars it is amazing.
LK/Rosetta Stoned - Do I even need to emphasize this materpiece of MUSIC, the lyrics may be odd but the WAY they are sung is awesome.
Intention - Love the electronic drums and lone guitar.
Right In Two - Love the mandalas, and the guitar while DEFINITLY NOT overbearing is great, even at the end when the shit hits the fan and the song explodes it is amazing.

It sounds awesome, and as for the Bass/Drums not being loud enough, I think it is perfect Tool is one of the few bands that actually attempts to make ALL instruments equal, when I listen to most music I pump my bass all the way up, with Tool I keep it even, because adding to much emphasis on one intrument fubbles the songs and takes away form the awesomeness they hold.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #117
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I just felt the need to say... bullshit.
The guitar work on this album is great, it fits the mood perfectly.

Vicarious Jambi - love the heavy guitars
Wings (pt 1) - I saw someone post once about the heavy part at like the 4:00 min mark that suddenly just cuts out, while I agreed at first it was too short I than thought of it as something beautiful that was cut short prematurely, IE Judith Marie.
10,000 Days - The slow dragging out and feedback of the one note for like 7 seconds gave me shivers over the amazing drums (which I can hear just fine)
The Pot - Initially HATED Maynard's vocals but when you start the bass and drums than throw in the guitars it is amazing.
LK/Rosetta Stoned - Do I even need to emphasize this materpiece of MUSIC, the lyrics may be odd but the WAY they are sung is awesome.
Intention - Love the electronic drums and lone guitar.
Right In Two - Love the mandalas, and the guitar while DEFINITLY NOT overbearing is great, even at the end when the shit hits the fan and the song explodes it is amazing.

It sounds awesome, and as for the Bass/Drums not being loud enough, I think it is perfect Tool is one of the few bands that actually attempts to make ALL instruments equal, when I listen to most music I pump my bass all the way up, with Tool I keep it even, because adding to much emphasis on one intrument fubbles the songs and takes away form the awesomeness they hold.
05-08-2006, 07:55 AM

Hi submachine, you um suck....
It seems there's no other way out of this undertow.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #118
Level 4 - Thinker

Hi submachine, you um suck....
It seems there's no other way out of this undertow.
OFFLINE |  
Paranoid_Android001's Avatar Paranoid_Android001
05-08-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You deserve to have over one million paper cuts all over your body, then get thrown into a 45 gallon bucket of salt.

well thats my opinion.

Freeeeeee Birrrrrrd
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #119
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
You deserve to have over one million paper cuts all over your body, then get thrown into a 45 gallon bucket of salt.

well thats my opinion.

Freeeeeee Birrrrrrd
OFFLINE |  
kaspguy
05-08-2006, 05:08 PM

dude, like everyone's been saying, its not about how many notes you play or how fast, it's about, ultimately, serving the song. Other good song serving players: John Fruisiante, Tom Morello, James Iha, etc. Adams 10000 days work is a perfect example of this. The first time I heard it, after Maynard explosion of emotion, the guitar "solo" is played exactly as it should be. To me, it sounds like someone overwhelmed and struggling to express himself. This is not simply because Adam is a "bad" guitar player, cause we've heard him play much more advanced stuff. It was his choice as the guitar player and a co-creator of this song to play something more emotional then merely technical. And the drums sound just fine.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #120
Level 4 - Thinker

dude, like everyone's been saying, its not about how many notes you play or how fast, it's about, ultimately, serving the song. Other good song serving players: John Fruisiante, Tom Morello, James Iha, etc. Adams 10000 days work is a perfect example of this. The first time I heard it, after Maynard explosion of emotion, the guitar "solo" is played exactly as it should be. To me, it sounds like someone overwhelmed and struggling to express himself. This is not simply because Adam is a "bad" guitar player, cause we've heard him play much more advanced stuff. It was his choice as the guitar player and a co-creator of this song to play something more emotional then merely technical. And the drums sound just fine.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply