opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 01. Stinkfist
User Name
Password
Old 04-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #41
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: stinkfist has many meanings READ ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyshadowHASchanged View Post
To me, Stinkfist is about how people in general never seem to be satisfied. Give one thing and they enjoy it for a second or for that time but when it is done or used up we want more...we NEED more. You keep on making yorself feel better and better, until eventually you just run out of it. Once there is nothing left to "dig" you have nowhere to go but down.

"Something kinda sad about,
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
How can it mean anything to me,
if I really don't feel a thing at all?"

To me this is the biggest part of this song. It is sad the way the world has become...how we put possesions and certain persons above everything else. We forget that there is a world around us. We have become blinded by this way of life and it just seems as though no one even cares. How can all these possesions make me happy when I am bored of them and use them for only short periods of time. I don't feel much other than when I have these possesions but, this is not true. There just isn't as much gratitude from the little things that used to give so much pleasure...such as a sunrise, or the leaves in autumn. I ALWAYS NEED MORE!
That's sort of what I think of when I hear this song. I think about how society keeps pushing things to the limits. We all want our technology to be smaller, faster, flashier. We never really stop to appreciate whats really there. Technology has desensitized us so much that we never appreciate life.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #42

Bincount™: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyq 451 View Post
That's sort of what I think of when I hear this song. I think about how society keeps pushing things to the limits. We all want our technology to be smaller, faster, flashier. We never really stop to appreciate whats really there. Technology has desensitized us so much that we never appreciate life.
i agree... it falls right in line with vicarious... in the desensitized state that we seem to be in... nationally..
Old 04-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_bergeron View Post
i agree... it falls right in line with vicarious... in the desensitized state that we seem to be in... nationally..
Also I sorta feel that it sets up something to keep in mind when listening to Tool which makes it a perfect opener for the album. "Not everything is what it seems". They use the metaphor for anal fisting to describe the desensitization that we just talked about.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #44

Quote:
Also I sorta feel that it sets up something to keep in mind when listening to Tool which makes it a perfect opener for the album. "Not everything is what it seems". They use the metaphor for anal fisting to describe the desensitization that we just talked about.
yeah with vicarious it's more in your face... which i think is what we need right now... the time for reading between the lines is running out... the message needs to get out as quick and as much as possible... we're in the shitter and going down the drain... we need to wake up... or in the words of rage against the machine... "WAAAAAAAAAAAKE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP"
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_bergeron View Post
yeah with vicarious it's more in your face... which i think is what we need right now... the time for reading between the lines is running out... the message needs to get out as quick and as much as possible... we're in the shitter and going down the drain... we need to wake up... or in the words of rage against the machine... "WAAAAAAAAAAAKE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP"
Man we need more people like Rage Against the Machine right now.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #46

Quote:
Man we need more people like Rage Against the Machine right now.
i heard an interview with tom morello and he said that even though rumors of rage reuniting were false that he believes that at the level of turmoil this world is in, that it needs a revolution and a band like rage could greatly fuel that... that's not verbatim, but something like that... a new rage album would be so bad ass...
Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #47
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool_Is_Sick View Post
"Ok children, form a line..Recess is over."
*applauds*

By the way, this song is not about sex, it's about the fact that most people will think it to be about sex. Ontologically this is a bit of a stretch, but you know I'm right.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #48
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schema View Post
*applauds*

By the way, this song is not about sex, it's about the fact that most people will think it to be about sex. Ontologically this is a bit of a stretch, but you know I'm right.
Thanks Captain obvious
Old 08-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

People manly accept the theory that this is about a lack of satisfaction or not finding something fullfilling, well how about this.

This song was written on purpose to be frustratingly enigmatic, a puzzle for tool fans, and the overall meaning of the song is its not enough to be a brilliant song, we need to keep digging to find something. You could also extend it to be a motto for the band, as in Jungian theories (I only have a basic knowledge of Jung to tell the truth) you have to keep 'digging' to find something to continue your development.

This could also be the meaning behind Lateralus...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: