Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 10. Right in Two
User Name
Password
MrNatural's Avatar MrNatural
05-07-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeme
besides the handful of decent comments this forum is cracking me up (literally.. out loud) with all the ignorance it holds.
Indeed
Old 05-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #81
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 15
Re: Stupid of Maynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeme
besides the handful of decent comments this forum is cracking me up (literally.. out loud) with all the ignorance it holds.
Indeed
05-07-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateSolstice
I would like to know how so many people think that this was a clever comment. Seriously, it wasn't THAT great or funny.
f u, too.

jerk.

:'( <--- real tears.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #82
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateSolstice
I would like to know how so many people think that this was a clever comment. Seriously, it wasn't THAT great or funny.
f u, too.

jerk.

:'( <--- real tears.
05-07-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
yeah, maynard should write more "humanity is awesome" songs like aenema
I just have to say, that was indeed exellent timing.... and to you, who's ignorant comment "stupid of maynard", Whats so stupid about it, so he's giving someone else a chance to relate. Big deal. I dont see whats so wrong about that, Im sure that if you go up and ask him yourself, that he'll apologize and say something to the likes of, " Im sorry, to you above all people, because I give such a damn what you think in the first place, I apologize for your inconveniance, my offence towards, you, not the hundreds of thousands of other people he has offended, no just you, because your special"., Yah.... Im sure thats exactly what he'd say.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #83
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
I just have to say, that was indeed exellent timing.... and to you, who's ignorant comment "stupid of maynard", Whats so stupid about it, so he's giving someone else a chance to relate. Big deal. I dont see whats so wrong about that, Im sure that if you go up and ask him yourself, that he'll apologize and say something to the likes of, " Im sorry, to you above all people, because I give such a damn what you think in the first place, I apologize for your inconveniance, my offence towards, you, not the hundreds of thousands of other people he has offended, no just you, because your special"., Yah.... Im sure thats exactly what he'd say.
05-08-2006, 08:52 AM

I can not get over how so many of you think Tool has to be "pretentious" and "cryptic". Maynard is a poet and with that comes the ability for him to write about WHAT he wants and HOW he wants.

It reminds me of a time whilst I was in high school when I had shown something I wrote to a friend (whom we will call Bob), Bob then showed it to his "anti-comformist" friend (whom we will call Julia). Julia than confronted me about it and called me a "conformist" because I rhymed in it. She than showed me something she wrote that was all hodg-podged about running naked in the sand or some stupid shit. I just laughed and said "Wow".

You see the point is it's not comformity or "bad" just because of WHAT or HOW it is being said. It is comformity because of the WHY behind the "what" or "how". For example, I rhymed because I felt that was artisticly what best suited my meaning, she didn't rhyme because she wanted to be different. Do you get it?

So Maynard can do whatever the fuck he wants and still be Maynard, he isn't writing "monkey killing monkey" so that we can get it easier or so that he seems less pretentious, he is writing it because thats what he wants to. An artist is in total control of his wokr no matter how drastic of a change it may take from one piece of work ot the next.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #84
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

This thread...

I can not get over how so many of you think Tool has to be "pretentious" and "cryptic". Maynard is a poet and with that comes the ability for him to write about WHAT he wants and HOW he wants.

It reminds me of a time whilst I was in high school when I had shown something I wrote to a friend (whom we will call Bob), Bob then showed it to his "anti-comformist" friend (whom we will call Julia). Julia than confronted me about it and called me a "conformist" because I rhymed in it. She than showed me something she wrote that was all hodg-podged about running naked in the sand or some stupid shit. I just laughed and said "Wow".

You see the point is it's not comformity or "bad" just because of WHAT or HOW it is being said. It is comformity because of the WHY behind the "what" or "how". For example, I rhymed because I felt that was artisticly what best suited my meaning, she didn't rhyme because she wanted to be different. Do you get it?

So Maynard can do whatever the fuck he wants and still be Maynard, he isn't writing "monkey killing monkey" so that we can get it easier or so that he seems less pretentious, he is writing it because thats what he wants to. An artist is in total control of his wokr no matter how drastic of a change it may take from one piece of work ot the next.
05-08-2006, 01:56 PM

Silly monkeys. Given beauty,
argue lyrics, end the fun, confound and deride it.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #85
Level 2 - Poster

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
05-08-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo9411
I hope you're joking here..."think for yourself, question authority"...sounds like a Tool quote to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiiiral
i smell quotage and hypocrisy.
I smell fresh meat, my idiot trap worked

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 05-08-2006 at 02:57 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #86
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo9411
I hope you're joking here..."think for yourself, question authority"...sounds like a Tool quote to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiiiral
i smell quotage and hypocrisy.
I smell fresh meat, my idiot trap worked

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 05-08-2006 at 02:57 PM..
Matt8's Avatar Matt8
05-08-2006, 03:19 PM

people suck....except for me...i rule.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #87
On Probation

Bincount™: 249

people suck....except for me...i rule.
Wizeblood's Avatar Wizeblood
05-08-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay
I also hate Tool fans who quote Tool songs on forums. You should think for yourself and question authority.
I hate tool fans like you think your clever
Old 05-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #88
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I also hate Tool fans who quote Tool songs on forums. You should think for yourself and question authority.
05-08-2006, 05:22 PM

I hate newbies that think they are clever and use thier first post to criticize.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #89
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I hate newbies that think they are clever and use thier first post to criticize.
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
05-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Ok now i cant tell whos being ironic and who isnt ive been caught in my own trap. Dammit now i hate myself...
Old 05-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #90
Level 8 - Vociferous

Ok now i cant tell whos being ironic and who isnt ive been caught in my own trap. Dammit now i hate myself...
hreems's Avatar hreems
05-08-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky
I love this song.

I think it deals with the fact that we literally are "talking monkeys", in the same evolutionary clade as great apes and monkeys. We happened to descend with gradually larger brains, speech and culture because selection favored it. I think the song is saying its ironic that even though we are the first species to develop complex technology and amass huge knowledge about the natural world, we continue to believe that pieces of the ground are more important than each other. We use our knowledge to make weapons capable of eradicating us and much of life on earth if used.

That is what I took from it, I think it highlights the need to change (evolve? 46 & 2 ahead of you? Just a thought), and what many have thought all along. There is everything right with this song.

Greatest band.
Well said, Blinky. I really don't understand why people have a problem with Maynard describing humans as monkeys. If this surprises anyone then maybe they just haven't REALLY been listening for the past 15 years. I'm glad you referenced 46 & 2 because I agree that this song is a natural evolution from that one (yes, pun intended - sorry everyone).

This notion that the lyrics are too simplistic is just plain ludicrous. We all know this band can be cryptic and esoteric whenever it wants to be. That said, trying to be deep and complex simply for the sake of being deep and complex comes off as contrived and desperate. This band is better than that, and if they want to come out and say something directly then you bet I am going to listen.

-GKW
Old 05-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #91
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky
I love this song.

I think it deals with the fact that we literally are "talking monkeys", in the same evolutionary clade as great apes and monkeys. We happened to descend with gradually larger brains, speech and culture because selection favored it. I think the song is saying its ironic that even though we are the first species to develop complex technology and amass huge knowledge about the natural world, we continue to believe that pieces of the ground are more important than each other. We use our knowledge to make weapons capable of eradicating us and much of life on earth if used.

That is what I took from it, I think it highlights the need to change (evolve? 46 & 2 ahead of you? Just a thought), and what many have thought all along. There is everything right with this song.

Greatest band.
Well said, Blinky. I really don't understand why people have a problem with Maynard describing humans as monkeys. If this surprises anyone then maybe they just haven't REALLY been listening for the past 15 years. I'm glad you referenced 46 & 2 because I agree that this song is a natural evolution from that one (yes, pun intended - sorry everyone).

This notion that the lyrics are too simplistic is just plain ludicrous. We all know this band can be cryptic and esoteric whenever it wants to be. That said, trying to be deep and complex simply for the sake of being deep and complex comes off as contrived and desperate. This band is better than that, and if they want to come out and say something directly then you bet I am going to listen.

-GKW
Tone Loc's Avatar Tone Loc
05-08-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeblood
'
Does not compute.
5/15/2006 -- Fox Theatre, Detroit, MI | 9/21/2006 -- Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
6/17/2007 -- Roberts Stadium, Evansville, IN | 6/29/2007 -- U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH
Old 05-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #92
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeblood
'
Does not compute.
5/15/2006 -- Fox Theatre, Detroit, MI | 9/21/2006 -- Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
6/17/2007 -- Roberts Stadium, Evansville, IN | 6/29/2007 -- U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH
vicarioustoologist
05-08-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
thats funny shit!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #93
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
thats funny shit!
transcend187's Avatar transcend187
05-08-2006, 10:11 PM

Hooray for thinking!

I'm going to bed.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:11 PM   #94
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439

Hooray for thinking!

I'm going to bed.
love's Avatar love
05-09-2006, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xineax
Monkey killing monkey...?

"...?..."

Last edited by love; 05-09-2006 at 04:06 AM..
Old 05-09-2006, 03:25 AM   #95
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Monkey killing monkey...?

"...?..."

Last edited by love; 05-09-2006 at 04:06 AM..
TBM
05-10-2006, 07:52 PM

You can't be all cryptic and shit for such a simple (and yet strangely ignored) concept. I don't agree with the notion that he is talking about or supporting evolution because monkeys have thumbs too and they aren't out about killing eachother..i somehow think it is a stab at evolution. I think that it is obvious, from as far back as opiate that MJK believes in a higher being.

Last edited by TBM; 05-10-2006 at 07:56 PM..
Old 05-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #96
TBM
Level 1 - Lurker

You can't be all cryptic and shit for such a simple (and yet strangely ignored) concept. I don't agree with the notion that he is talking about or supporting evolution because monkeys have thumbs too and they aren't out about killing eachother..i somehow think it is a stab at evolution. I think that it is obvious, from as far back as opiate that MJK believes in a higher being.

Last edited by TBM; 05-10-2006 at 07:56 PM..
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
05-10-2006, 08:05 PM

i like aenima's lyrics better than this song's because aenima's kind of like "humanity is stupid but they can change if they want to" but this song pisses me off because it's kinda of just saying "humanity is stupid" without saying we can change. it really makes me mad because people are not that bad, i think most people are good, and it seems like he's singing the song as though he thinks he's better the rest of us monkeys. maybe i'm being too defensive though. grrrr it makes me mad though. and another thing -- there isn't plenty to go around. that line pisses me off because it's just stupid to assume people don't need to fight, that there will be enough natural resources for us, and our kids and our kids' kids. grrrr. really though, i think it only bothers me because i've been a tool fan for exactly half of my life and i have come to identify myself as a tool fan which means i now have to take it personally when maynards says something that i think makes ME look stupid. yeah, i need to grow up.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #97
Banned.

Bincount™: 3972

i like aenima's lyrics better than this song's because aenima's kind of like "humanity is stupid but they can change if they want to" but this song pisses me off because it's kinda of just saying "humanity is stupid" without saying we can change. it really makes me mad because people are not that bad, i think most people are good, and it seems like he's singing the song as though he thinks he's better the rest of us monkeys. maybe i'm being too defensive though. grrrr it makes me mad though. and another thing -- there isn't plenty to go around. that line pisses me off because it's just stupid to assume people don't need to fight, that there will be enough natural resources for us, and our kids and our kids' kids. grrrr. really though, i think it only bothers me because i've been a tool fan for exactly half of my life and i have come to identify myself as a tool fan which means i now have to take it personally when maynards says something that i think makes ME look stupid. yeah, i need to grow up.
MisterMudd's Avatar MisterMudd
05-10-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Mack
You think the world does not have enough resources? Of course we would have enough if we weren't such an excessive and wasteful species. We may not have enough resources now because of our "need" for luxury and personal posession.

I don't think he is saying anything about him being better than anyone, and it is a little rediculous to take your speculation personally.

I think the overall message of this song is his observation. Nothing more, nothing less. It is just how he see's the world in it's current state. If you do not agree, that is one thing, but to take offense shows that you may be in denial of the fact that every human (including you, me and everyone else) is a contributing factor.

Don't get me wrong, I am not lashing out at you, you view the world your way, and that is fine. I am just saying that you may have developed your anger a little preemptively.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #98
Just Some Dude (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Mack
You think the world does not have enough resources? Of course we would have enough if we weren't such an excessive and wasteful species. We may not have enough resources now because of our "need" for luxury and personal posession.

I don't think he is saying anything about him being better than anyone, and it is a little rediculous to take your speculation personally.

I think the overall message of this song is his observation. Nothing more, nothing less. It is just how he see's the world in it's current state. If you do not agree, that is one thing, but to take offense shows that you may be in denial of the fact that every human (including you, me and everyone else) is a contributing factor.

Don't get me wrong, I am not lashing out at you, you view the world your way, and that is fine. I am just saying that you may have developed your anger a little preemptively.
detomasso
05-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysolution
I am impressed...This monkey gets it...heh...
Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #99
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysolution
I am impressed...This monkey gets it...heh...
darkgnome's Avatar darkgnome
05-15-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium
this song should have been more of a "fuck you" than an "oh why"...
The "fuck you" thing is getting old and it's for teens :p
Old 05-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #100
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium
this song should have been more of a "fuck you" than an "oh why"...
The "fuck you" thing is getting old and it's for teens :p
Happyfunball's Avatar Happyfunball
05-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Aenima says humanity can change if it wants to? I could have swore the more clear message was that humanity can change if nature kills off a shit load of the assholes currently fucking it up for the rest of us. Not a bad message I might add.

I do love how the original poster's concern was centered directly upon themselves like it's suddenly their own personal burden to wear a Tool t-shirt because Maynard chose to go with some fairly straight-forward lyrics on a particular song. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just find it a bit fascinating.

This is purely speculation on my part of course, but perhaps the problem proposed by the OP is exactly what Maynard and Co are hoping for this time around: That the layman type thinker might actually pick up on the reasonings and arguments presented in this new collection of material and begin having open dialogue with others about it. That is perhaps what they've meant by claiming this is their blues album. The blues are not difficult to understand or comprehend. They can still, however, be quite compelling, powerful, and emotionally engaging. Pure and simple like a hammer to the forebrain. Sometimes that truly is the best approach.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #101
Level 7 - Loquacious

Aenima says humanity can change if it wants to? I could have swore the more clear message was that humanity can change if nature kills off a shit load of the assholes currently fucking it up for the rest of us. Not a bad message I might add.

I do love how the original poster's concern was centered directly upon themselves like it's suddenly their own personal burden to wear a Tool t-shirt because Maynard chose to go with some fairly straight-forward lyrics on a particular song. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just find it a bit fascinating.

This is purely speculation on my part of course, but perhaps the problem proposed by the OP is exactly what Maynard and Co are hoping for this time around: That the layman type thinker might actually pick up on the reasonings and arguments presented in this new collection of material and begin having open dialogue with others about it. That is perhaps what they've meant by claiming this is their blues album. The blues are not difficult to understand or comprehend. They can still, however, be quite compelling, powerful, and emotionally engaging. Pure and simple like a hammer to the forebrain. Sometimes that truly is the best approach.
VOX
05-16-2006, 09:35 PM

Don't you think that maybe he wrote this stuff not thinking of you, or the album. Maybe it just came to him and he wrote it down.
Unearthing someting fresh and having the honor to introduce it to groups of likeminded people is what gets me up in the morning. There's nothing gained by playing commercial hits in clubs or records that are obvious or generic.

djvox
Old 05-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #102
VOX
Level 1 - Lurker

Don't you think that maybe he wrote this stuff not thinking of you, or the album. Maybe it just came to him and he wrote it down.
Unearthing someting fresh and having the honor to introduce it to groups of likeminded people is what gets me up in the morning. There's nothing gained by playing commercial hits in clubs or records that are obvious or generic.

djvox
bruised_kiwi's Avatar bruised_kiwi
05-17-2006, 12:45 AM

I just have to say that when I first heard the song I really thought it was way to simple, but it's really grown on me....beautiful song
Old 05-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #103
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

I just have to say that when I first heard the song I really thought it was way to simple, but it's really grown on me....beautiful song
05-17-2006, 09:21 AM

the song is creative, maybe not have too much to think about, easy to understand, but its very creative either way. same with vicarious, simple idea, easy to understand, but still great lyrics, actually every song on the album kind of fits that description
Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #104
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

the song is creative, maybe not have too much to think about, easy to understand, but its very creative either way. same with vicarious, simple idea, easy to understand, but still great lyrics, actually every song on the album kind of fits that description
05-17-2006, 01:39 PM

Just a few loose thoughts here:

The first time I saw this lyrics, I saw this song in a completely different light. It's a goddam mockery of a sham of a parody!

Gotta see this song in context with Vicarious.

Saw I and Saw II anyone? Only those who live and have the desire to live will survive?

In Vicarious we're told that we're junkies living vicarious lives through the TV, away from the hostile real world, in which you have to "devour" in order not to be devoured your self.

So in this context, monkies killing monkies is a celebration of how it should be, an anthem to evolution, to those who have what it takes to play by nature's rules.

Also, so far Tool always had the "Fuck God, Fuck Christ" approach, so in that context "angels on the sidelines" would be the suckers, the holier-than-thou dumbass TV junkies addressed in Vicarious, who don't live life, who are full of themselves and who are ultimately destined to die out.

This is what I say is obvious here for me.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #105
Level 4 - Thinker

Just a few loose thoughts here:

The first time I saw this lyrics, I saw this song in a completely different light. It's a goddam mockery of a sham of a parody!

Gotta see this song in context with Vicarious.

Saw I and Saw II anyone? Only those who live and have the desire to live will survive?

In Vicarious we're told that we're junkies living vicarious lives through the TV, away from the hostile real world, in which you have to "devour" in order not to be devoured your self.

So in this context, monkies killing monkies is a celebration of how it should be, an anthem to evolution, to those who have what it takes to play by nature's rules.

Also, so far Tool always had the "Fuck God, Fuck Christ" approach, so in that context "angels on the sidelines" would be the suckers, the holier-than-thou dumbass TV junkies addressed in Vicarious, who don't live life, who are full of themselves and who are ultimately destined to die out.

This is what I say is obvious here for me.
trickma's Avatar trickma
05-17-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
The birth of mother fucken civilisation!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #106
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
The birth of mother fucken civilisation!
mountain_goat
05-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
This is the only song where I'm a little "come on..." with the lyrics.
agreed.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #107
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
agreed.
ignorantmaddam's Avatar ignorantmaddam
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Yeah, because only cryptic lyrics with heavy metaphor are worth shit.

Did any of you guys ever think about the fact that a lot of the time straight-forward, clear-cut lyrics are actually MORE powerful than beating around the bush about everything?

I for one am glad Maynard has lost some of his pretentious language on this album.
I would have to agree with that. Could it also be that it is intentionally done this way? {Dumbed down if you will} To better offend the naive tool "fans"...hence, them not realizing it at the same time?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #108
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Yeah, because only cryptic lyrics with heavy metaphor are worth shit.

Did any of you guys ever think about the fact that a lot of the time straight-forward, clear-cut lyrics are actually MORE powerful than beating around the bush about everything?

I for one am glad Maynard has lost some of his pretentious language on this album.
I would have to agree with that. Could it also be that it is intentionally done this way? {Dumbed down if you will} To better offend the naive tool "fans"...hence, them not realizing it at the same time?
05-19-2006, 02:29 AM

I almost can see Maynard reading this whole thread and ironically smiling...
If the personal interpretation of a song brings so much anger, what could be the results of trying to control the reserves of oil...
Don't ask me why but the first or second time I heard this song I thought of Irak, Abu Grhaib.
Enjoy the album ;-)
Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #109
Level 1 - Lurker

If the personal interpretation of a song brings so much anger, what could be the results of trying to control the reserves of oil...
Don't ask me why but the first or second time I heard this song I thought of Irak, Abu Grhaib.
Enjoy the album ;-)
lissy
05-19-2006, 06:13 AM

I'm a new tool fan. My boyfriend has listened to them forever and he's been playing the new cd constantly since it came out. We went to the show at the fox theater and I think this song is my favorite tool song because it's easy to understand, lyrically and musically. It's got a great feel to it- technically, it's excellent. And it's placed perfectly on the album. I got to hear it live in Detroit, and the tabla drum solo was awesome and completley sold the song (and band) to me.
I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that the song is great and not stupid. YOU'RE stupid.

Love,
Lissy

I like tool.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:13 AM   #110
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm a new tool fan. My boyfriend has listened to them forever and he's been playing the new cd constantly since it came out. We went to the show at the fox theater and I think this song is my favorite tool song because it's easy to understand, lyrically and musically. It's got a great feel to it- technically, it's excellent. And it's placed perfectly on the album. I got to hear it live in Detroit, and the tabla drum solo was awesome and completley sold the song (and band) to me.
I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that the song is great and not stupid. YOU'RE stupid.

Love,
Lissy

I like tool.
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-19-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Silly monkeys? Maynard usually has an amazing way with wordsand rhythm, but I really don't like the contrast of the words to the music in Right in Two. If Right in Two has incredible lyrics, it would help the song a lot.

someone has probaly already said this but i was jsut reading the thread an i really think that somepeople are missing the point.
We are just monkeys, albeit evolved monkeys that have opposable thumbs which enable us to evolve and create. But the song is bascailly saying that we're nothign but we think we're something and ahe a right to own the earth and things along those lines.
and you know that maynard knows his stuff about religiona nd the bible even the original aramaic texts. "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was Love/light" (thats the original biblical text
So, as the silly monkeys after we forged our blades we cut the love right in two
The song is not stupid, the lyrics ar not weak, jsut try to read between the lines

Last edited by EdwardJamesKeenan; 05-19-2006 at 07:20 AM..
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #111
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

Silly monkeys? Maynard usually has an amazing way with wordsand rhythm, but I really don't like the contrast of the words to the music in Right in Two. If Right in Two has incredible lyrics, it would help the song a lot.

someone has probaly already said this but i was jsut reading the thread an i really think that somepeople are missing the point.
We are just monkeys, albeit evolved monkeys that have opposable thumbs which enable us to evolve and create. But the song is bascailly saying that we're nothign but we think we're something and ahe a right to own the earth and things along those lines.
and you know that maynard knows his stuff about religiona nd the bible even the original aramaic texts. "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was Love/light" (thats the original biblical text
So, as the silly monkeys after we forged our blades we cut the love right in two
The song is not stupid, the lyrics ar not weak, jsut try to read between the lines

Last edited by EdwardJamesKeenan; 05-19-2006 at 07:20 AM..
ignorantmaddam's Avatar ignorantmaddam
05-19-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissy

Love,
Lissy

I like tool.

I like Bubblegum
Old 05-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #112
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissy

Love,
Lissy

I like tool.

I like Bubblegum
05-19-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
"Hey hey we're the Monkees 'cause people say we monkey around..."

An influence....? Those Monkees; always one step ahead...
silly monkeys, trix are for kids

Last edited by jusmaroon; 05-19-2006 at 08:11 PM..
Old 05-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #113
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
"Hey hey we're the Monkees 'cause people say we monkey around..."

An influence....? Those Monkees; always one step ahead...
silly monkeys, trix are for kids

Last edited by jusmaroon; 05-19-2006 at 08:11 PM..
AquaTarkus's Avatar AquaTarkus
05-20-2006, 09:02 PM

I find it amazing you don't think it's deep enough. There's a thread on this song where they're discussing the philosophy of Kant and teaching each other about the human condition - all in regards to this song...
You can stay here. You can go there. Free will.
See ya.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #114
Level 2 - Poster

I find it amazing you don't think it's deep enough. There's a thread on this song where they're discussing the philosophy of Kant and teaching each other about the human condition - all in regards to this song...
You can stay here. You can go there. Free will.
See ya.
AquaTarkus's Avatar AquaTarkus
05-20-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalentin
Enjoy the album ;-)
Dude, I coundn't agree more.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #115
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalentin
Enjoy the album ;-)
Dude, I coundn't agree more.
hellfire242's Avatar hellfire242
05-20-2006, 10:12 PM

yea your just too cool for school, drop out before its too late.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #116
Level 1 - Lurker

yea your just too cool for school, drop out before its too late.
MyShadow683
05-21-2006, 06:29 AM

Personally im reminded of the world as a whole when i listen to Right In Two because anywhere you travel or go to on this planet there is always greedy and power hungry people that want a piece of something therefore Dividing it right in two (1 becomes 2....those 2 become 4...those 4 becomes 8...8 becomes 16 and so on.) Imagine if the world was one big country and we would share everything in unity...its a brilliant idea and even though the lyrics are simple it gets a very strong point across..perhaps maynard's simplistic lyrics are so very simple as some of you mention because he decided to stoop down to a lower level to get his point across to the not so bright people out there...thats just my take on it. Its a good album and Right In Two has to be one of the best songs on that album right off the back

Last edited by MyShadow683; 05-21-2006 at 09:20 AM..
Old 05-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #117
Level 4 - Thinker

Personally im reminded of the world as a whole when i listen to Right In Two because anywhere you travel or go to on this planet there is always greedy and power hungry people that want a piece of something therefore Dividing it right in two (1 becomes 2....those 2 become 4...those 4 becomes 8...8 becomes 16 and so on.) Imagine if the world was one big country and we would share everything in unity...its a brilliant idea and even though the lyrics are simple it gets a very strong point across..perhaps maynard's simplistic lyrics are so very simple as some of you mention because he decided to stoop down to a lower level to get his point across to the not so bright people out there...thats just my take on it. Its a good album and Right In Two has to be one of the best songs on that album right off the back

Last edited by MyShadow683; 05-21-2006 at 09:20 AM..
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
05-22-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, touche, wise man. ;)

Yeah, I get the feeling from this forum there's a lot of hate here. hah.
How ironic is that? Some tool...

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 05-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #118
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Oh, touche, wise man. ;)

Yeah, I get the feeling from this forum there's a lot of hate here. hah.
How ironic is that? Some tool...

blood_wh0re's Avatar blood_wh0re
05-22-2006, 09:16 PM

...instead of flubbering over the particulars i.e...creationism vs. evolutionism...why not broaden the scope of consciousness, expand your mind to the universals and lift your brows towards a heaven...

not unlike Mr. Mojo Risin I do beLIEve that someone has been spending a tad too much time in the universal mind...

Last edited by blood_wh0re; 05-22-2006 at 09:19 PM..
Old 05-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #119
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 51

...instead of flubbering over the particulars i.e...creationism vs. evolutionism...why not broaden the scope of consciousness, expand your mind to the universals and lift your brows towards a heaven...

not unlike Mr. Mojo Risin I do beLIEve that someone has been spending a tad too much time in the universal mind...

Last edited by blood_wh0re; 05-22-2006 at 09:19 PM..
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
05-22-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_wh0re
No such thing as too much time there. Once you're there, there is no time.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #120
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_wh0re
No such thing as too much time there. Once you're there, there is no time.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply