Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
Mosis's Avatar Mosis
04-19-2006, 12:29 PM

Which fire?

What are some different interpretations of this line?

I know it may scream "obvious," I want to know what other people think.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 269
"10000 days in the fire is long enough..."

Which fire?

What are some different interpretations of this line?

I know it may scream "obvious," I want to know what other people think.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Nate-dogg21
04-19-2006, 01:20 PM

i have a literal interpretation....

i dont really know what to think of this, its like 10,000 days in the fire (reference to hell), then after that charging up to heaven with a fist in the air thinking u did not recieve justice and demanding your place in heaven, demanding your wings.

Ive been looking up things from 1979 (which was 10,000 days ago) and one thing that took place was the hostage situation that took place in Iran. Makes me think (10,000 days in the fire is long enough), maybe hes saying its time for all of this violence to end, its time for peace?

Maynard keeps referring to "the chosen one" in all of his songs. Ive heard many people say the anti-christ is alive right now and living (bin laden), i think a lot of ppl believe that, and im wondering if maynard is saying its time for "the savior" to stand out and make a change. This is how ive felt for a long time and its crazy that maynard is so insessantly writing about this theme in his songs....
Old 04-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: "10000 days in the fire is long enough..."

i dont really know what to think of this, its like 10,000 days in the fire (reference to hell), then after that charging up to heaven with a fist in the air thinking u did not recieve justice and demanding your place in heaven, demanding your wings.

Ive been looking up things from 1979 (which was 10,000 days ago) and one thing that took place was the hostage situation that took place in Iran. Makes me think (10,000 days in the fire is long enough), maybe hes saying its time for all of this violence to end, its time for peace?

Maynard keeps referring to "the chosen one" in all of his songs. Ive heard many people say the anti-christ is alive right now and living (bin laden), i think a lot of ppl believe that, and im wondering if maynard is saying its time for "the savior" to stand out and make a change. This is how ive felt for a long time and its crazy that maynard is so insessantly writing about this theme in his songs....
Nate-dogg21
04-19-2006, 01:29 PM

well, ive been reading around, and obviously this song is about 'nard and his mother, who suffered a stroke at 32 and spent (10,000 days), 27 years in a wheelchair, paralyzed. Its written so abstractly tho, it really can mean many things
Old 04-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
On Probation

well, ive been reading around, and obviously this song is about 'nard and his mother, who suffered a stroke at 32 and spent (10,000 days), 27 years in a wheelchair, paralyzed. Its written so abstractly tho, it really can mean many things
Vegama
04-19-2006, 01:37 PM

I guess you guys missed that review that said all of these songs' lyrics were more personal than with past CDs. (i.e. stfu with the politics)
Old 04-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I guess you guys missed that review that said all of these songs' lyrics were more personal than with past CDs. (i.e. stfu with the politics)
panocha21's Avatar panocha21
04-19-2006, 02:19 PM

I think this song is about George Bush earning his wings as a pilot. They denied him when he was in the airforce, they will not anymore! Give the man his wings!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

I think this song is about George Bush earning his wings as a pilot. They denied him when he was in the airforce, they will not anymore! Give the man his wings!
svet-am
04-19-2006, 02:33 PM

i really don't read too much into the 'fire' reference. i just see it as being pain/strife, not as a direct reference to Hell. It's an indirect reference to Hell because being in a wheelchair and not being able to get around and do as you please was probably like Hell on Earth.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

i really don't read too much into the 'fire' reference. i just see it as being pain/strife, not as a direct reference to Hell. It's an indirect reference to Hell because being in a wheelchair and not being able to get around and do as you please was probably like Hell on Earth.
04-19-2006, 03:34 PM

before reading this thread and nate-dogg's comment about maynard's mom, i was thinking it was a reference to someone who committed suicide around the age of 27.. i took "the fire" to be a reference to the world or life in general.. it's been used thus traditionally, stemming from heraclitus's idea that the "substance" of the universe was fire, i.e. that everything is in constant change or flux.. also i think some eastern traditions hold that the world is a fire that is constantly burning..

but yeah, nate-dogg seems to have hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

before reading this thread and nate-dogg's comment about maynard's mom, i was thinking it was a reference to someone who committed suicide around the age of 27.. i took "the fire" to be a reference to the world or life in general.. it's been used thus traditionally, stemming from heraclitus's idea that the "substance" of the universe was fire, i.e. that everything is in constant change or flux.. also i think some eastern traditions hold that the world is a fire that is constantly burning..

but yeah, nate-dogg seems to have hit the nail on the head.
04-19-2006, 03:40 PM

I agree with Bogsnarth on "fire" being a reference to the world or life. It's one of the five elements in Eastern philosophy too--earth, wood, water, metal, fire.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 23

I agree with Bogsnarth on "fire" being a reference to the world or life. It's one of the five elements in Eastern philosophy too--earth, wood, water, metal, fire.
04-19-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panocha21

you got me. i admit it, i laughed.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #9

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by panocha21

you got me. i admit it, i laughed.
04-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegama

hey man, lyrics are open for interpretation.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegama

hey man, lyrics are open for interpretation.
Tayloe41800's Avatar Tayloe41800
04-19-2006, 06:42 PM

when i heard this and read the lyrics i assumed the fire refered to being in hell
Old 04-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

when i heard this and read the lyrics i assumed the fire refered to being in hell
Mosis's Avatar Mosis
04-19-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloe41800
To tell you the truth, the first image that came to mind was Hamlet (yes, Shakespeare).

When the Ghost speaks to Hamlet, he speaks of the fires of purgatory burning away a lifetime of sins.

In this case, 10,000 days of purgatory before the soul is sent home (i.e. cleansed of their sins, and go to Heaven).

Mind you, that's not really applicable to this song, as she wasn't dead, but it's just an image.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloe41800
To tell you the truth, the first image that came to mind was Hamlet (yes, Shakespeare).

When the Ghost speaks to Hamlet, he speaks of the fires of purgatory burning away a lifetime of sins.

In this case, 10,000 days of purgatory before the soul is sent home (i.e. cleansed of their sins, and go to Heaven).

Mind you, that's not really applicable to this song, as she wasn't dead, but it's just an image.
Nate-dogg21
04-19-2006, 06:58 PM

no, it is perfect sir. A lot of people believe that this world is all there is... And you can make this place hell/heaven. And think about it, if you are comotosed, then it is just like kind of rotting away while you are waiting for your soul to go where the destination is
Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
On Probation

no, it is perfect sir. A lot of people believe that this world is all there is... And you can make this place hell/heaven. And think about it, if you are comotosed, then it is just like kind of rotting away while you are waiting for your soul to go where the destination is
deadtime
04-20-2006, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum
It's his about his mom in the wheelchair for 27 years. End of discussion.
...and the fire is probably a reference to the purgatory, as was noted above.

Wikipedia: In Roman Catholic theology, Purgatory is a process of purification of the soul after death, following the particular judgment and ordinarily a requirement before entry into Heaven.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
...and the fire is probably a reference to the purgatory, as was noted above.

Wikipedia: In Roman Catholic theology, Purgatory is a process of purification of the soul after death, following the particular judgment and ordinarily a requirement before entry into Heaven.
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
04-20-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
as any avid tool fan knows, just because maynard wrote a song about something particular does not mean that's the only thing it's about. he packs in the levels of meaning like joyce or crowley.. also, as maynard himself has said over and over again, it doesn't matter what the song means to him, but what it means to the listener..

so sorry to burst your bubble, but it's far from the end of the discussion.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:32 AM   #15
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

Quote:
as any avid tool fan knows, just because maynard wrote a song about something particular does not mean that's the only thing it's about. he packs in the levels of meaning like joyce or crowley.. also, as maynard himself has said over and over again, it doesn't matter what the song means to him, but what it means to the listener..

04-20-2006, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate-dogg21

I can bet you Maynard is not talking about Osama bin laden..
Old 04-20-2006, 05:36 AM   #16

Quote:

svet-am
04-20-2006, 05:46 AM

bin Laden is not and never has been anything anywhere on the scale of the Anti-Christ. Sure, he's a terrorist...but he's only a terrorist mastermind, not one who is actually willing to lay his own life down for the ideals he espouses. If bin Laden was so fervent about what he believes, he would've been ON one of the planes on September 11, 2001.

To say bin Laden is greater than he actually is is simply to play into his delusion of grandeur.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

bin Laden is not and never has been anything anywhere on the scale of the Anti-Christ. Sure, he's a terrorist...but he's only a terrorist mastermind, not one who is actually willing to lay his own life down for the ideals he espouses. If bin Laden was so fervent about what he believes, he would've been ON one of the planes on September 11, 2001.

To say bin Laden is greater than he actually is is simply to play into his delusion of grandeur.
04-20-2006, 06:25 AM

damn straight
Old 04-20-2006, 06:25 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

damn straight
filter
04-20-2006, 10:12 AM

It's simple really. The tool album is released in 2006. It's entitled 10,000 days, about 27 years right, simple arithmetic: 2006+27 equals 2033, the Gregorian calendar marks two dates in Christian belief that are most important, Good Friday and Easter; in 2033 coming exactly 2000 years after Christ was crucified and resurrected. So now we must wait patiently in this fire that we vicariously live by (refer back to vicarious). In the hope and faith that Jesus and the Mehdi speak.

I thought the guy that went 27 years back to 1979 gave it a good go. Somehow his is more immediate contentwise with the whole Iran thing.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

It's simple really. The tool album is released in 2006. It's entitled 10,000 days, about 27 years right, simple arithmetic: 2006+27 equals 2033, the Gregorian calendar marks two dates in Christian belief that are most important, Good Friday and Easter; in 2033 coming exactly 2000 years after Christ was crucified and resurrected. So now we must wait patiently in this fire that we vicariously live by (refer back to vicarious). In the hope and faith that Jesus and the Mehdi speak.

I thought the guy that went 27 years back to 1979 gave it a good go. Somehow his is more immediate contentwise with the whole Iran thing.
varg's Avatar varg
04-20-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Aw come on. You're not that american, are you?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #20
On Probation

Bincount™: 10

Quote:

Aw come on. You're not that american, are you?
Garguantua's Avatar Garguantua
04-20-2006, 10:40 AM

I'm taking that line in a literal sense, just 27 odd years of suffering, and debility. Although it's such a great, effective metaphor for his Mum's tribulations. It alludes to her belief system at the same time. 10,000 days in the fire...wow.

I always thought Maynard was a fantastic, and original lyricist, but this song is really ....out of this world.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #21

I'm taking that line in a literal sense, just 27 odd years of suffering, and debility. Although it's such a great, effective metaphor for his Mum's tribulations. It alludes to her belief system at the same time. 10,000 days in the fire...wow.

I always thought Maynard was a fantastic, and original lyricist, but this song is really ....out of this world.
Nate-dogg21
04-20-2006, 11:08 AM

You guys are brutal, i think all you do is critique critique critique... You dont understand what its like to be a musician.

Ive been playing guitar and singing for about 4 years now, writing songs of all sorts. I may not be as big of a musician as Tool, but i believe both of us grasp a similar understanding of song writing. Its not about writing something and having it mean ONE particular thing. Its about creating something that is special to you, but can also connect with other out there. And yes, this song may be about 27 years in a wheelchair, but who cares what you can break it down to. Its all about how you connect with it, and what it does for you, not the artist. If they didnt care about their fans at all they wouldnt bother to put music out. Theyre not falloutboy who just wants to sell records, theyre tool who is trying create art for spectators to observe and enjoy and connect with.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #22
On Probation

You guys are brutal, i think all you do is critique critique critique... You dont understand what its like to be a musician.

Ive been playing guitar and singing for about 4 years now, writing songs of all sorts. I may not be as big of a musician as Tool, but i believe both of us grasp a similar understanding of song writing. Its not about writing something and having it mean ONE particular thing. Its about creating something that is special to you, but can also connect with other out there. And yes, this song may be about 27 years in a wheelchair, but who cares what you can break it down to. Its all about how you connect with it, and what it does for you, not the artist. If they didnt care about their fans at all they wouldnt bother to put music out. Theyre not falloutboy who just wants to sell records, theyre tool who is trying create art for spectators to observe and enjoy and connect with.
Chris_Brightwell's Avatar Chris_Brightwell
04-20-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garguantua
You nailed it.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #23
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garguantua
You nailed it.
blair's man sausage's Avatar blair's man sausage
04-20-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooljunky
we didn't start the fire?

i think mjk is talking about billy joel....

seriously I agree with brightwell and the others on this one
Old 04-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #24
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooljunky
we didn't start the fire?

i think mjk is talking about billy joel....

04-20-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms46and2
Well if you do a little bit of math, you figure a few things out.

For starters, Maynard was 11 when she had the aneurysm. That explains a *lot* of what's going on in jimmy (read it as something she might've written to him).

Quote:
What was it like to see
The face of your own stability
Suddenly look away
Leaving you with the dead and hopeless?

Eleven and she was gone.
Eleven is when we waved good-bye.
Eleven is standing still,
Waiting for me to free him
By coming home.
She died 27 years later, which is roughly 10,000 days.

His mother, who he loved dearly, was a loyal Christian until they day she died. He apparently resented that ... and that resentment is no clearer than in Judith.

Quote:
Oh so many ways for me to show you
How the savior has abandoned you
Fuck your God
Your Lord and your Christ
He did this
Took all you had and
Left you this way
Still you pray, you never stray
Never taste of the fruit
You never thought to question why

It's not like you killed someone
It's not like you drove a hateful spear into his side
Praise the one who left you
Broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you
He did it all for you
Wow. Since I've come to understand that song (and the situation) a bit more, that song send chills down my spine every single time I hear it.

It's also interesting to know that MJK changed the lyrics (in most cases, anyway) from "fuck your God" to "thank your God" after she died. He caught a lot of flack form this when the Lohner remix showed up on Underworld, but I think it's a very appropriate change.

There are a few more threads you can see woven through Tool and A Perfect Circle, if you have the patience to do some research, but I'll leave those as an activity to the reader. :)
Old 04-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #25
meh.

Quote:

For starters, Maynard was 11 when she had the aneurysm. That explains a *lot* of what's going on in jimmy (read it as something she might've written to him).

Quote:
What was it like to see
The face of your own stability
Suddenly look away
Leaving you with the dead and hopeless?

Eleven and she was gone.
Eleven is when we waved good-bye.
Eleven is standing still,
Waiting for me to free him
By coming home.
She died 27 years later, which is roughly 10,000 days.

His mother, who he loved dearly, was a loyal Christian until they day she died. He apparently resented that ... and that resentment is no clearer than in Judith.

Quote:
Oh so many ways for me to show you
How the savior has abandoned you
Fuck your God
Your Lord and your Christ
He did this
Took all you had and
Left you this way
Still you pray, you never stray
Never taste of the fruit
You never thought to question why

It's not like you killed someone
It's not like you drove a hateful spear into his side
Praise the one who left you
Broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you
He did it all for you
Wow. Since I've come to understand that song (and the situation) a bit more, that song send chills down my spine every single time I hear it.

It's also interesting to know that MJK changed the lyrics (in most cases, anyway) from "fuck your God" to "thank your God" after she died. He caught a lot of flack form this when the Lohner remix showed up on Underworld, but I think it's a very appropriate change.

There are a few more threads you can see woven through Tool and A Perfect Circle, if you have the patience to do some research, but I'll leave those as an activity to the reader. :)
tool25's Avatar tool25
04-20-2006, 11:39 AM

i love judith, great song... anyways i hear a few apc references on 10,000 days and quite frankly i like it
Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #26

Bincount™: 20

i love judith, great song... anyways i hear a few apc references on 10,000 days and quite frankly i like it
04-20-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell

:)
i've gathered all of the previously stated evidence, all of which makes the song that much more moving...i can see why AJ said playing it brings a tear to his eye...

I didn't know about the lyrical change in Judith...that's very cool...
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #27
the inside man

Quote:

:)
i've gathered all of the previously stated evidence, all of which makes the song that much more moving...i can see why AJ said playing it brings a tear to his eye...

04-20-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Well I used to just say, "He changed the lyrics," but I've been challenged on that and unable to verify it one way or the other.

I know for a fact that it was changed in the Lohner remix for Underworld and aMOTIOn. I also know that the shows I saw in 2004 featured the changed lyrics.

However, I do not know if he changed those lyrics during every performance of the Thirteenth Step tour. I'd dig through APC.net, but Skwerl's media stash is down for now. That's on my list of things to do once it's back up.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #28
meh.

Quote:
Well I used to just say, "He changed the lyrics," but I've been challenged on that and unable to verify it one way or the other.

I know for a fact that it was changed in the Lohner remix for Underworld and aMOTIOn. I also know that the shows I saw in 2004 featured the changed lyrics.

However, I do not know if he changed those lyrics during every performance of the Thirteenth Step tour. I'd dig through APC.net, but Skwerl's media stash is down for now. That's on my list of things to do once it's back up.
04-20-2006, 12:02 PM

it makes sense....mjk while sarcastic and cynical has also demonstrated that he wears his emotions on his sleeve as well....my experience is he's funny as hell and extremely down to earth...along with the rest of the boys
Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #29
the inside man

it makes sense....mjk while sarcastic and cynical has also demonstrated that he wears his emotions on his sleeve as well....my experience is he's funny as hell and extremely down to earth...along with the rest of the boys
Anr149
04-20-2006, 12:57 PM

If you listened to the commentary on the APC dvd he talks about his mother being strong in her faith and having fake ass christians coming up to her offering sympathy and he says "spare me" in this song and i think he is trying to say that if christianity is the way to heaven then his mother would get her wings and if anyone deserved it, it's her.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #30
Level 2 - Poster

If you listened to the commentary on the APC dvd he talks about his mother being strong in her faith and having fake ass christians coming up to her offering sympathy and he says "spare me" in this song and i think he is trying to say that if christianity is the way to heaven then his mother would get her wings and if anyone deserved it, it's her.
04-20-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:

I went to one of the concerts during the Thirtheenth Step Tour and he definitely said "fuck Your God"... Perhaps this change was only there on the lohner remixes...who knows.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I went to one of the concerts during the Thirtheenth Step Tour and he definitely said "fuck Your God"... Perhaps this change was only there on the lohner remixes...who knows.
Garguantua's Avatar Garguantua
04-20-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You nailed it.
I dunno. I get what I think he means. But the imagery changes everytime I hear it.
I think of many things and go down many paths when I hear those words and this music. Sometimes I think of me, sometimes of others, sometimes I go off on tangents.

He nailed it, for sure.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #32

Quote:
You nailed it.
I dunno. I get what I think he means. But the imagery changes everytime I hear it.
I think of many things and go down many paths when I hear those words and this music. Sometimes I think of me, sometimes of others, sometimes I go off on tangents.

He nailed it, for sure.
Shyfted One
04-20-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder
Saw APC twice on that tour and both times it was "fuck"

I think it was just changed to be a "clean" version for the soundtrack
Old 04-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Saw APC twice on that tour and both times it was "fuck"

I think it was just changed to be a "clean" version for the soundtrack
cdburrner
04-20-2006, 03:11 PM

check out revelations... 10,000 days is a reference to the end days... the time after christ raptures his church and before the rest of us die...
Old 04-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

check out revelations... 10,000 days is a reference to the end days... the time after christ raptures his church and before the rest of us die...
sillymonkeys
04-20-2006, 03:22 PM

Regardless of Revelations, I believe "10,000 days" is, as stated above, a reference to his mother's lifetime, post trauma.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

Regardless of Revelations, I believe "10,000 days" is, as stated above, a reference to his mother's lifetime, post trauma.
04-21-2006, 12:55 PM

i think 10,000 days has multiple meanings, the obvious one MJK's mom...but at the same time the title makes you think about all of the references to 27 years/10000 days and you can pull from that what you will
Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #36
the inside man

i think 10,000 days has multiple meanings, the obvious one MJK's mom...but at the same time the title makes you think about all of the references to 27 years/10000 days and you can pull from that what you will
04-21-2006, 12:59 PM

Would you guys please shut the fuck up about "The Anti-Christ." Look into a Biblical history course if you have the time.. Or at least turn on the History Channel once in a while. There is no goddamn "Anti-Christ," and there won't ever be one. It wasn't a literal reference to any one future figure.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Would you guys please shut the fuck up about "The Anti-Christ." Look into a Biblical history course if you have the time.. Or at least turn on the History Channel once in a while. There is no goddamn "Anti-Christ," and there won't ever be one. It wasn't a literal reference to any one future figure.
LiLponyAddiction's Avatar LiLponyAddiction
04-25-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth

So true.

Since I was already aware of the circumstances of Maynard's mother's death and her faith, the line automatically meant this to me:

She spent roughly 10,000 days in a personal hell, her faith never waivering, and now that she has passed on she's been "lifted out" of the fire by the very creator that she pledged a lifetime of devotion and faith to. I think the "Give me my wings!" lines express how deserving she was of ascending into heaven.

I am in no way religious, but the song truly touches me. I try my best to put myself in Maynard's shoes...... and seriously it has brought me to tears.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth

So true.

Since I was already aware of the circumstances of Maynard's mother's death and her faith, the line automatically meant this to me:

She spent roughly 10,000 days in a personal hell, her faith never waivering, and now that she has passed on she's been "lifted out" of the fire by the very creator that she pledged a lifetime of devotion and faith to. I think the "Give me my wings!" lines express how deserving she was of ascending into heaven.

I am in no way religious, but the song truly touches me. I try my best to put myself in Maynard's shoes...... and seriously it has brought me to tears.
04-25-2006, 08:35 AM

the fires of hell

nickmonitor: [gretal's] words and ideas are like poetry to myself and others
Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 AM   #39
҈

Bincount™: 1481

the fires of hell

nickmonitor: [gretal's] words and ideas are like poetry to myself and others
MemphisM's Avatar MemphisM
04-25-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The change was for the radio version. I saw APC twice and both times distinctly remember the original lyric, "Fuck your God"....also, maybe it's been mentioned, but considering he says her name..."Judith Marie, unconditional one", the most obvious interpretation is that its about his mother. It seems to me he's saying to her, go get 'em, you earned 'em, you spent 10,000 days in hell on earth. And yes, in reference to above, it does clear up Jimmy and Judith.

Announce the fall schedule goddamnit....
Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 AM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
The change was for the radio version. I saw APC twice and both times distinctly remember the original lyric, "Fuck your God"....also, maybe it's been mentioned, but considering he says her name..."Judith Marie, unconditional one", the most obvious interpretation is that its about his mother. It seems to me he's saying to her, go get 'em, you earned 'em, you spent 10,000 days in hell on earth. And yes, in reference to above, it does clear up Jimmy and Judith.

Announce the fall schedule goddamnit....

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply