opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/18 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbee View Post
Holy fucking shit. 'Nuff said.

"My throat hurts and my vagina itches..."
Not to be nitpicky but I could of swore he said "My throat hurts LIKE a vagina itches." The former really doesn't make much sense to me. Nard has no 'gina. Or does he...

I was in sec 104. The bass seemed a little lacking in my direction but all in all I had a fkg awsum time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

section 113 row B seats 12+13

Is anyone else suffering from a Tool hangover? I've got about a 30 second loop of Rosetta Stoned that I can't get out of my head, and I had a dream about Tool last night that was really stupid. First of all... the bad.
1. The sound in the Allstate Arena is absolutely positively fucking terrible.
2. Maynard was still sick. Like someone else said, I'm still waiting for the vocals at the end of Vicarious. I guess he's actually a living human being. Dissapointing.
3. $25 posters and $40 t-shirts.
4. Nothing will probably ever compare to seeing them at the Riviera 6 years ago.
5. Dissapointing stage setup - where were the lasers the first half of the show? Where was the big screen?
6. The mess getting out of the parking lot made me regret for about an hour that I even bought tickets.

Now... the good.
1. Tool. Plain and simple. Tool is the only band on the planet that I personally would spend $60 to see in an arena, with the possible exception of Pink Floyd. They are so fantastic at not only writing spectacular music but performing it live that it is worth the frustrations of an arena show. 10,000 days has been called Danny and Justin's album, and you could see why when they performed the songs live. Those two in tandem are almost disorienting to watch. Maynard was obviously effected by whatever sickness he's got going on right now. He still managed to pull it together for the most part, but I wouldn't be suprised if he continues to push himself if he ended up having to cancel more shows in the future. Adam was as good as ever. Lateralus, Aenima, Wings, 46&2, stinkfist...What can I say? They kick so much ass on stage it is just rediculous. The simple fact that they could play that tight of a show with a sick singer in a shit venue is a testament to how truly one of a kind they are. I get the feeling every time I see them that I was lucky to have had the opportunity. It's a shame that it's an opportunity that rarely comes around.

Last edited by jrauch7; 09-19-2006 at 12:37 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Few things:

Maynard sick AGAIN in Chicago? Jesus Christ, wash your hands more often May... and stop shaking hands with people/*kissing* women on tour. Him being sick set the tone for me. Not the usual Maynard energy, and although he did sing "The Pot", he didn't hit a lot of the notes throughout the show that he normally could have. Bummer.

"Everybody just stands there and watches"..... yea, well some of us actually enjoy seeing the band and hearing them..... without the need to run around like a monkey or go into convulsions. That doesn't mean we aren't enjoying the music as much as you are. People are different.

So much for the "No Smoking" signs posted EVERYWHERE. I came home smelling like an ashtray. Keep smoking kids.... yea, YOU will be one of the FEW lucky people who aren't afflicted with some form of smoking-related cancer later in life....... riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Cell Phone cameras everywhere. Hey, if you're sitting in the farthest-from-the-stage location, I highly doubt your little cell phone camera is going to capture a good picture in that lighting. So many robots scrambling for their phones to take a shot of that ONE MAGICAL moment they HAD to get a pic of. Hilarious. In case you didn't notice, there was a rock show going on....

Thanks to the teenaged d-bag who spoke throughout the show, more noticably during "10,000 Days". I checked my ticket and sure enough it did NOT say "TOOL (with additional commentary from a moronic teenager)". There is hope for you though as you did shut your mouth when I politely asked you to.

This show wasn't nearly as good as some of the others I have seen over the years. The Fall of 96 tour was astounding. This show was way too loud for the acoustics of the Allstate Arena, and Maynard being sick just took a lot of wind out of their sails for me.

There were a lot of good things about the show. I'm not here to only be a Negative Nancy....

The white stage was perfect. The lights and effect were great. It was nice to see them unleash them all slowly and then have them all utilized during Lateralis, etc.

Danny's drumming was astounding. The music was really well done, it's just a shame they can't play places with better acoustics (could have been worse - like if they played at the Aragon).

It was nice to hear "The Pot". "46 & 2" is always nice to hear. My ultimate goal is to hear a 3 hour TOOL show where they play all my fave songs, but that ain't gonna happen.

Finally... the guy that said there were a bunch of 'hotties' at the show.... that must have been some great dope you were on. The crowd at this show looked like someone scraped the bottom of the of the Gene Pool, then took a dump on it (myself included - someone beat me with an ugly stick for about 3 weeks straight).

Or wait, how about the guy on his cell phone outside after the show who was telling his friend that he got kicked out of the concert, and he had a blast. How do you have a blast at a show you got kicked out of? Please, for the sake of the species: get your whole head in front of the gun when you pull the trigger.

The sad thing is I am sure I will have to wait another 4-5 years for them to tour again. The saddest part is I will be 4-5 years older and most likely not want to deal with the hassle of being surrounded by kids who have no respect for themselves or people around them at concerts. I'll still go as this band is more important than even I think they are.

I get it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

<rant>Sitting in section 111 row B, the acoustics were a muddy nightmare. Fortunately a cheapo pair of earplugs filtered out most of the crappy reverberations. And $15 to park at the arena, followed by an hour long mess of a traffic jam because they cram cars 5 deep in each aisle! Screw you Allstate.</rant>

Now for the good... Tool sounded amazing (once I put in the earplugs). Maynard writhing around during Rosetta Stoned was great to watch. Loved the set list, Right in Two was the only song I wished they had played. Definitely one of the best concerts I've been to, despite the crappy arena.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #45
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 81

This was my first Tool show and I was not let down at all...sure the band did sound kind of muddy, but the sheer energy they gave off made up for it. I absolutely loved the show. Somehow I got lucky and my car wasnt boxed in. I was able to get the hell out of there pretty quickly.

And then there was this guy...http://geocities.com/braddicus86/strangefellow.bmp

Amazing show. I listen to Tool's music in a different light now, especially Lateralus...wow.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

this was my 5th tool show, and i was really impressed. granted, there were a few moments of muddiness with the sound on a couple songs, but it was the rosemont, er, allstate, so i did expect that. however, i have to say that tool has sounded the absolute best out of all the shows i've seen there(this tour and on the lateralus tour). most bands sound like complete shit in that place, which is why tool is pretty much the only band i'll see there anymore. got to give props to the sound crew for pulling it off well.
i thought the visuals on the stage were pretty kick ass most of the time. a couple highlights for me was at the beginning of wings when there were fireball images on the stage(kind of like hell) and then the lasers were making some cool designs on the ceiling(kind of like heaven). and then during vicarious, the whole stage looked like a fuzzy tv screen off and on. that was cool.
and the only time it was noticeable that maynard wasn't feeling 100% was at the end of vicarious. otherwise, beside his stating he's been sick, he put on a stellar performance. reviewers for previous shows were disappointed in how he lacked energy and didn't do much. at this show, he seemed really into performing the songs, dancing around in his crazy way and all. the best was in the middle of 46x2 during danny's awesome drum part when maynard looked like he was trying to beat/punch/elbow his way out of his shadow(punches and elbows were timed with the drum hits).
so anyways, i was extremely excited to see them, and i was not disappointed. excellent show! thanks tool
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

hey does anyone have this show recorded? it was amazing! i saw them at the auditorium theatre in may and i can say from my experiences that they took similair ideas from auditorium and expanded them for this part of the tour. Amazing show! amazing lighting as well very creative! and the way they brought the floor lights in during stinkfist was perfect. So if anyone has this recorded please pm me with it, i managed to get the auditorium show from somebody on here whom im very greatful to, so anyone who has this lemme know! thanks everybody hope all enjoyed the show
Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

"Finally... the guy that said there were a bunch of 'hotties' at the show.... that must have been some great dope you were on. The crowd at this show looked like someone scraped the bottom of the of the Gene Pool, then took a dump on it (myself included - someone beat me with an ugly stick for about 3 weeks straight)."

You're absolutely right! I laughed out loud when I read that original comment. Allstate Arena looked like a crack whore convention last night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
This was my first Tool show and I was not let down at all...sure the band did sound kind of muddy, but the sheer energy they gave off made up for it. I absolutely loved the show. Somehow I got lucky and my car wasnt boxed in. I was able to get the hell out of there pretty quickly.

And then there was this guy...http://geocities.com/braddicus86/strangefellow.bmp

Amazing show. I listen to Tool's music in a different light now, especially Lateralus...wow.

I guess the quality of sound really mattered on where you were. I was up in section 202, and there was a few moments of muddiness, but overall I thought it sounded good. There was also some times where Adam's higher end notes were drowned out a bit. But as I stated before, this is the Allstate Arena(which = crappy acoustics), and this was the best sounding show I've heard in the place. Glad you got to experience tool and enjoyed the show! This was my 5th time seeing them, and each time has been a different, but great experience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #50
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3088

this was my second tool show, my last one being in may. i'd have to say that i was competely blown away by the tightness of the 4, there really was a significiant amount of energy they were spewing at us. it seemed like there was a malfunction with the stage projections for 2 songs, pretty sure it was fixed right when schism was played. i really enjoyed the new stage, but i didn't entirely like the light-brite screen behind the stage. i think if they extended another projection screen behind the stage it could've really complimented the stage more. but no complaints whatsoever, i was entranced the entire show with sonic vibrations. justins bass sounded sooo different, like there was a lot of feedback. kinda gave a completely new sound to some songs like 46 and 2 and schism. i woke up today with lateralus drowning in my head, and my neck is sore from headbanging, signs of a great fucking preformance. makes me wonder when the next time i'm going to see them is, i don't know if i can wait 4-5 years. please come back soon tool

Last edited by Lord Worm; 09-19-2006 at 10:02 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

wtf is up with $6.75 a beer? now that's some shit to compain about!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

who was that hottie in the black dress and boots smoking a cig in the floor vip section monday night. Woow
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

also, anyone who paid for parking i LOL at u. theres tons of free parking everywhere. including all the surrounding neighborhoods.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #54
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

What a show!!!! 14th show and still going. First I would like to say that I feel bad for Madison. Maynard said he was sick but I was on the floor and he sounded great. I liked how they mixed up the set list a bit. When jambi came on 2nd I thought they were going to take out the pot and stick in something else, but when I heard the pot and it finally sounded good unlike in minneapolis and vegas I was satisfied. Floor sucks no beer on the floor and no full affect of the visuals. Man am I happy i have big pockets to get beer down to the floor. People around me were like "how to did you get that beer down here?" Im glad I went to minneapolis. I had sect 201 row a in minn and it was spectacular, but last night I thought that tool sounded much tighter. Im glad that they had sun off or the Chicago show might have been cancelled. I knew Adam wouldnt let Maynard cancell his hometown show. Adam and Justin were amazing they had everything just right. Highlight of the night was Rosetta. This song is so powerfull live. Wings, Wings, Wings what can I say. The lazers were cool on the floor but in minn on sat in sect 201 was much better. Lateralus is tool's best song. It was played to the T. Vicarious was great and Aenima is a great last song for the night. It was my 14th show and I cant wait for more. Maynard may be getting to old for this or he is very unhealthy. I hope he gets better soon. until the next show ride the spiral till it ends.........
7/19/98 WI, 9/8/01 IN, 9/9/01 IL, 10/20/01 IA, 7/19/02 NV, 8/29/02 IL, 9/1/02 WI, 9/7/02 IL, 10/18/02 MI, 11/24/02 CA, 5/13/06 IL, 9/1/06 NV, 9/16/06 MN, 9/18/06 IL, 5/16/07 TX, 6/22/07 MO, 6/27/07 IL, 7/4/07 WI

Last edited by toolhead777; 09-19-2006 at 10:30 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow, there is so much to say about the show last night..

This was my second show on this tour, with the first being in Houston last week. Maynard was really sick and barely sang, so it wasn't very good.. However, last night's show, with a newly not-so-sick Maynard, was AMAZING!! The whole band played awesome last night. The videos and other effects were really splendid as well. The white stage with the videos projected on it was crazy. (I missed out on some of these effects in Houston because it was an outdoor show.) I had some shitty seats in section 203, but it was nice because we were able to see the effects on the stage that I really don't think you could see from the floor. As a drummer, I would just like to say that Danny is fucking amazing and I wish I could drum like him. I was not disappointed with this show whatsoever.. The whole band played great and the videos and other effects were really fantastic. I can't wait for the show in Madison tonight..

He yelled "peace the fuck out" just before Aenima.. Hilarious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism46nd2 View Post
man... i dont get how you just seen the same show that I did and you come away disapointed... I thought it owned and I am not just some minor tool fan, I know my shit and have played bass and guitar for 10 years

I think you all just want want want, and expect to much, take it in and appreciate what you get
I completely agree with you! That show was amazing.. What more could you possibly want? As for the playing the same set ordeal... they probably put on nearly the same show every night because of the videos and other effects to go along with the shows.. It takes a lot of planning to set that up and it would be very difficult to change up the songs every night and have different videos and effects planned out for every night.. I think it was an awesome show and I don't really care that it was almost the same show that I saw I week ago in Houston
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #56
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6&two View Post
i was about 10 feet away from adam jones, and i saw his wife camella walking around talking pictures, so me and my buddy were yelling 'camella!' and 'Butcher!' we got her attention and she took a picture of me and buddy, damn that was a great show, i had a perfect spot.
I also saw they had microphones set up they were recording this show!!!!!
7/19/98 WI, 9/8/01 IN, 9/9/01 IL, 10/20/01 IA, 7/19/02 NV, 8/29/02 IL, 9/1/02 WI, 9/7/02 IL, 10/18/02 MI, 11/24/02 CA, 5/13/06 IL, 9/1/06 NV, 9/16/06 MN, 9/18/06 IL, 5/16/07 TX, 6/22/07 MO, 6/27/07 IL, 7/4/07 WI

Last edited by toolhead777; 09-19-2006 at 06:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #57
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolhead777 View Post
I also saw they had microphones set up they were recording tis show!!!!!
it looked like they had a video recorder back by the sound board too. would love for any live tool dvd to come out, but it would be awesome if some of our show was on it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

great show. not amazing. someone mentioned riv in 2000 earlier. yea, those were the days... although the show in may was mind-blowing in its own way. i was impressed by wings and 10k days. aenima rocked like nothing else. here's a little snipet i took:

http://www.pawky.com/video/535AB27D5272

the crowd was a little hostile at times, but overall a great floor experience. absolutely loved the green lasers, not so sure about the ultra patriotic christmas lights.

a couple of good shots:

http://abeo.pawky.com/gallery_image.html?g_id=310
http://abeo.pawky.com/gallery_image.html?g_id=309
http://abeo.pawky.com/gallery_image.html?g_id=308

Last edited by pawky; 09-19-2006 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: adding pics...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

I guess we were lucky - the Madison show's been cancelled. Cancelled as in not post-poned --- as in no make-up date....

I saw the May Chicago show (my first) and thought last night's performance was considerably more enjoyable - despite the fact that the Rosemont (ooops!) All State Arena has been notorious for shitty sound quality since dirt was new. I was in 213 - and at least where I was sitting, vocals were BETTER than in the Auditorium Theater (MJK was sick there, too, after all). Lasers... Well, folks MY age have a hard time letting go of seeing lasers for the first time at a Floyd show -but I thought the lasers added an interesting touch. The vertical part of the large backdrop reminded ME a bit of a Vegas show when it first lite up - but hey, it's entertainment, right? I can see how some folks would think the lasers were superfluous with music that tight and that good - so maybe they didn't ADD much, but I don't think the lasers detracted from my own experience.... Sort of a trip down memory lane, in fact.

I realize it is disappointing to go to a concert, having paid hard-earned money, and discover that the singer is not feeling his/her best -- but that's what makes live music live music. Anybody who wants a "perfect performance" can sit in their living room with a joint, a beer and their iPod headset glued to their ears. This old fart will take the live performance - warts and all. BTW, Maynard is over forty, kids! Wait until you see how your own bodies start to let you down ! It can be a true pain the ass. It gets harder to keep going when some viral bug or other crawls down your throat (or up your ass for that matter). I thought Maynard seem far more up-beat and energetic last night than he did in May - as in having a better time, himself. Feeling crappy is just plain crappy - and it has to be quadruply crappy when you know a couple of thousand people are waiting for you to blow their socks off every single night with a once in a lifetime performance. I thought he did a reall good job under the circumstances .

Enjoy what's there! We got a great show. The folks in Mad-town (where Chicago gets great cheese for its great pizza) are going to be sitting home tonight.... doing not much of nothin'.....

Avongara
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Fucking Awesome show, i cant believe the next show was cancelled. Wonder Why? Didnt sound sick or bad to me at all. I sat in Section 213 and everything was perfect. Everyone was smoking joints and hitters.....6.75 a beer way too much money though. Also What was thrown on the stage in the begining of the show. However, ThankYou Tool the incredible experiance. Thanks Nick for getting those tickets and waiting in line all hungover. ToOl OwNs
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #61
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

" Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory " 3 times in Aenima last night, just thought I would point that out . I want to see as many shws as possible. Last night was my 5th Tool show, I am still energized and smiley, peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #62
Banned.

Bincount™: 70

in regard to no opiate or undertow tracks...it seems simple to me. justin wasn't in the band and didn't help write those tracks. there are more than enough concert-worthy tracks from the last three LPs to fill an arena.

anybody notice the extra scream maynard let out toward the end of stinkfist? i don't recall ever hearing any vocals at that particular part where he let it out, but it was a good 4-5 second yell.

piece...of mind.

Last edited by peripheral; 09-20-2006 at 08:03 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

"Maynard was obviously effected by whatever sickness he's got going on right now. He still managed to pull it together for the most part, but I wouldn't be suprised if he continues to push himself if he ended up having to cancel more shows in the future."

Wow. I must be psychic. Sorry Wisconsin! I may have jinxed you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

Lateralus and Aenema fucking owned!!! Great Show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #65
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Echos of 10,000 days swirling in my head, amazing light sound syncronization. Lateralus jammed hard at the end, cant get much better than that!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

My first tool concert!!! I was completely blown away. We had decent seats (section 111 Row L) and from where I was sitting the acoustics didn't sound that bad for the most part.

Highlights- 10,000 days, Schism, Aenima, Forty Six & 2, Vicarious and Lateralus. Lateralus has actually never been one of my favourite songs but it was just so amazing live. They really do a lot with it. I was also really glad that they did 10,000 days. A friend of mine saw them in Seattle a few weeks ago and they hadn't done it then. When they started Wings I was hardly listening because I was so anxious to see if they'd do 10,000 days! Vicarious.. I'm surprised that not many, or maybe no one has really listed that as one of the highlights. I realize that it's played a lot on the radio and what not but I still think it's one of the best songs on the 10,000 days album and since some of the people last night really only seemed to know that song... It had a lot of energy from the crowd which was kind of nice.

Does Maynard always dress like that for concerts? He looked awesome.

Also, I've never really been an Isis fan but I thought they kicked some major ass last night.

Bad stuff- All the fucking smoke... Oh. My. (Insert higher power here). I had just won a debate about how the government shouldn't regulate smoking in public buildings and I was questioning my reasoning last night. My throat was burning after the concert from all the smoke.. Ugh. Parking. I cannot believe how they were parking cars. And then the police directing traffic to the highway? I mean... you'd think that Rosemont would teach its police how to direct traffic. Anyways, those are more about the venue than the show itself.

I've no complaints about the show. Tool kicked some major ass and I cannot wait until they come back to Chicago (or anywhere within a few hours of Chicago).

Last edited by Nymeria; 09-19-2006 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: I forgot Vicarious!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #67
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

Did anyone else realize that they released a fuckload of seats in section 110 five hours before the show began? My sister wanted to go, so I want on ticketmaster only to discover that there were a bunch of 2nd row seats available! I gave my shitty upper deck seat to my mom and ended up sitting in the 2nd row on the right, about 15 feet away from Justin. Fucking amazing turn of events right there...

As for the show...it fucking rocked. I didn't think Maynard would sound good at all tonight bc of his sickness, but he was on top of his game. He's definitely recovered well...

I agree with people's sentiments about the fans. In my section there were maybe three people other than myself who seemed to actually know the songs. I could tell that the kid to the left of me didn't know anything except for the radio singles (he sat down for the last half of the concert) and the two girls next to me actually LEFT to get beer during Wings/10K Days! That's fucking lame, and pisses me off because there are hardcore Tool fans that waited in line at the box office the day they went on sale and got stuck with upper deck (like me ORIGINALLY). Then you got these fucks in the front row who don't even know care about the music...that's just wrong.

Last edited by sweatyturtle19; 09-19-2006 at 01:14 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #68
Level 2 - Poster

I loved the show. Maynard riding the bull was funny, and i wonder if Justin burnt his hand holding that lighter up for like 10 minutes haha. I love wings, but i really didn't need to see it live. But it was nice to see the set list changed a lil from may. Can't wait for the next show!

Last edited by TandL; 09-19-2006 at 02:49 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

Last night was my first Tool concert and I was lucky enough to have floor tickets. Now... I'm only 16 years old and a relatively small girl but I knew what I was getting myself into when I tried to get to the front. (I did, by the way... and I found a pick.) I guess I don't look like a typical Tool fan compared to well... Others. But I definitely noticed the variations in what a Tool fan looks like. There's the trashy kind, the artsy-intellectual kind, the old, the junkie, the eight year old kid, lots of different people. (As soon as the lights went off, the weed came out. By the end of the night I was high from either the experience or from being around so much goddamn THC. I don't know. I would like to commend the other women on the floor who either a) didn't have a big boyfriend to protect them or b) wasn't a scary, tough bulldyke. I was probably felt up last night a bajillion times more than I ever have been or ever will be. Haha

p.s. There are going to be angry people in Madison tonight... damn Maynard's sickness
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #70
Level 1 - Lurker

Ok I love Tool as much as the next guy. Probably even more. The set list was great. Maynard was awesome, but I gotta say that compared to last years stage performance this one was pretty lame. They go from full stage size screens to 5 foot screens. From live people doin shit onstage to a laser light show which if it was any other band I would have automatically said that it was the cheesyest thing ever. Bands like Def Leapord and Motley Crew do that stuff. Other than that the show was cool. Always a pleasure to see Maynard and friends tearin it up onstage. This was my 4th time seeing the band and admittedly not the greatest, but I will continue to go see them whenever I have the chance.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #71
Level 4 - Thinker

I dont know if reading peoples past reviews that worship maynard made me going in expecting more.
10k days/wings is probably one of the most boring songs to play live. 10k days/wings was putting me to sleep hearing the same uninteresting guitar riff for 20 minutes. People that get emotional listening to that song would probably kill themselves listening to something like radiohead.
I was especially disappointed with the lack of songs off undertow and id like more laterlus stuff to be played not that this was a surprise, since they play the same damn songs every city they tour.
the smoke was terrible in that place my eyes were burning, this girl in front of me lit up a cigarrette every couples minutes.
$60 for this show and $40 for a tshirt really seemed overpriced for what I took away from the show and it was not much.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

First Tool show and to tell the truth, I was a little dissapointed after reading reviews from other shows, I don't what I expected but I just wasn't totally blown away by anything, don't get me wrong the show rocked especially 46&2, Rosetta Stoned, also the hell with security who constantly shine flashlights into the crowd almost got my ass kicked out for flippen off one of the jags.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

I was in Sec 103, Row D, seats 27/28. This was my first Tool show, and it was all I expected.......excellent. This was definately a unique show, and it was all about the music, not centering on the singer as alot of bands do. I look forward to seeing them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

I loved the show, it rocked. I do have to say though, that I will never get floor tickets for Tool again(heh, yeah right) I was just to the right of center, all the way at the front, I think several of my ribs may be very damaged. But it was still an awsome show. I especially enjoyed the "fuck retro anything, fuck your tatoos, fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories" all three times he said it, after the second one I was like wtf? then he did the third one so I flipped him off, not to offend, just to say that I'm not a junkie with a short memory and caught on to his dirty trick. I'd say that I am very glad that I made my friends get there early as hell with me(2:30) sitting around with other cool fans(loved the crazy girls from canada, you guys rocked) for four hours and getting absolute front was well worth it, my only regret is that we couldn't figure out where to get our ticket stubs back. Just for the record I enjoyed the laser show. And I even enjoyed getting danny's red bull splashed in my eyes, to my knowledge, the can did not hit me in the head or face, I think... at least nothing hurts there today. Peace.

Oh yeah parking was a snap, we missed the allstate entrance and parked in a small lot right next to it(to the southeast I think) it said EZ-OUT and had insane prices, only, they didn't charge us and they actually stopped us and let us know I left a t-shirt on top of the car. I think we were on the road like 3 min after getting into the car.

Last edited by plsck; 09-19-2006 at 03:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #75
Level 3 - Talker

The Good:

- (Personal Favorite): Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories. (3x)
- Maynard shredding his throat to give us the Pot, which we (Chicago) missed on the small venue tour (due to sickness... again...).
- No obvious fuckups, to my ear, unlike the small venue tour. Danny was a beast, Maynard was definitely into his performance.
- For the most part, a well organized venue. If any of you were at the DMB concert in Tinley Park last Friday, you know what I mean.
- Wings.

The Bad:

- The setlist. No surprises, most of us probably had heard every one of those live before, excepting Wings. Not a single tune prior to Aenima, and basically only the mass appeal tunes. (And the fucking French got Opiate... Do I have to go to Europe to hear some classic Tool?) And no extended versions, just the doubletime breakdown in Schism.
- The stage, from the floor, seemed a lot lower than it should have been. If you're less than six feet tall (which I barely am), good luck seeing anything from the floor.
- The acoustics. With earplugs, Maynard's vocals came through very well. But way too much bottom for the venue, as usual.

The Ugly:

- The pot. No, the song rocked, as expected. But there was a ridiculous amount of marijuana on the floor. This is to be expected, and normally this wouldn't bother me and I'd probably partake. But, my guest for the concert wasn't thrilled about it (and reeking like it afterward) and I have to admit it's quite annoying to be bothered once per song by someone nudging you saying "Marijuana for sale here guys..."
- The visuals. Tool has established themselves in the past as giving you as dynamic a visual performance as their acoustic performace. A teeny strip of screens behind the band you can't even see from the floor and some ridiculous LEDs just don't cut it. (Whoever compared that crap to lite brite was spot on. When the screen came up in Lateralus I was like oh man, they were holding back on us. Wow was I wrong). And the lasers... I felt like I was at the Pink Floyd laser show at your local planetarium. For example, remember the huge floating balls (the ones from the Parabola vid) by Danny Carey on the Lateralus tour? The visuals on this tour were a huge letdown for me.

Overall, I'd give this show a C+/B-. I was disappointed - the small venue tour stop in May was way, way better. But that's just my opinion, and it was still great to be there for Tool, but my expectations weren't met. Go ahead and flame away.

Edit: I should point out that I feel for the Wisconsin fans. I'm just glad Maynard went that extra mile for us to give us what we missed out on last time.

Last edited by UConn Philo; 09-19-2006 at 03:09 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #76
Level 1 - Lurker

Once again,TOOL put on the most mind bending show! Yes, as stated above, the Allstate arena is not the most ideal setting for a concert, but damn man, just seeing those four become one and just blow the doors off of any other band out there today is always a mind opening experience! It would have been nice to hear some of the older tunes off of opiate and undertow, but I'm really not complaining! In all honesty,you have to understand that all of their songs are not that short, so maybe they didn't have time in the set for them! 6th time seeing the legends, and once again, never dissapointing! New to the crew here, so hello to all the old timers in the group! The lasers were a nice touch last night, as they werent overdone! And the stage setup was very interesting! Sorry for all the TOOL fans in Wis. Hope Maynard heals quick!
to find I've known this all along.

Last edited by peepshowjanitor; 09-19-2006 at 03:05 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #77
On Probation

Danny was great.

Justin was great.

The lasers... who thought up this idea? "cheesy as fuck!" I agree.

Apparently I should've read some more reviews before going... I thought they'd have a huge screen as a backdrop with all kinds of visuals like back in 97... nope.. just those smaller screens behind Maynard... also pretty worthless.
The coolest effect was when all those screen went to static.

The bulbs on the backdrop are also lame.

Wings stunk.

46+2 was the best of the night and had the most crowd energy

If 1997 was a 10.. (and it was)
this show was maybe a 6 - if I'm being nice.

The songs off Aenima all sounded considerably better than anything off 10,000 Days or Lateralus.

Finally, maybe it was for the sake of Maynard's voice... but they backed the pace on a couple of the songs on the setlist.. which didn't go over well with me either.

I don't regret going... but if you're expecting greatness.. like 97-98... you'll be shaking your head when you're walking out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #78
Level 3 - Talker

As you know if you read my post, I agree with most of ThreeDeviations' points. Have to say I dug Wings though, not sure what "Wings stunk" means... care to substantiate that claim?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #79
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn Philo View Post
As you know if you read my post, I agree with most of ThreeDeviations' points. Have to say I dug Wings though, not sure what "Wings stunk" means... care to substantiate that claim?
ahh, I skimmed only the first couple posts... but yeah, you're right on w your post...

as for Wings... I just didn't think it sounded very clean... maynard's vocals were muffled... just didn't seem to have the emotion behind it that it really should either.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #80
Level 4 - Thinker

I think it was fun overall and thats all that matters. Wasnt the best TOOL show i have been to but it is not the worst. The only Song that i wanted to hear the most was "Right in Two". There was some fucking idiot behind me during "wings" just shooting his mouth off saying about how bad they sucked and how much money he was out and how much cocaine he wanted to do and what not. I hope this person slides under a gas truck and tastes his own blood.
Yes , the accoustics could have been alot better. But that is the first time ive been to that place so i cant really compare. You have to give maynard credit for risking making himself sicker and singing anyway. I will say this though, it seems like maynard always tends to get sick while on tour. Maynard ,try echinacea it helps boost your immune system. It works for me at least.
The dickhead behind me also said that all he wanted to hear was "old Stuff". I know alot of people arent that impressed with the new stuff. But if all they played was completely old stuff than i would have been greatly disappointed. It was a good show as far as im concerned. I have yet to see a bad TOOL show. Just some that werent as good as others.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: