Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST (updated live by Sprry75 and no name)

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
-Intermission-
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-19-2009 at 08:33 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
07.19.09 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Energy Solutions

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST (updated live by Sprry75 and no name)

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
-Intermission-
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-19-2009 at 08:33 PM..
OFFLINE |  
The Greenster's Avatar The Greenster
07-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Excellent concert, terrible acoustics from Energy Solutions Arena. Loved the set, including the drumb solos in Stinkfist, Schism & Lateralus.

Last edited by The Greenster; 07-19-2009 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: additions
Old 07-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.19.09 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Energy Solutions

Excellent concert, terrible acoustics from Energy Solutions Arena. Loved the set, including the drumb solos in Stinkfist, Schism & Lateralus.

Last edited by The Greenster; 07-19-2009 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: additions
OFFLINE |  
no_name's Avatar no_name
07-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Read my review from last night. Same everything except for theier clothes! Crowd was WAY too pumped for me. Lol. I was getting tossed around in the beginning. Feel bad for the women. I moved further back n everything was fine until a fight broke out. For those there i was standing next to the guy holding the 'will work for tool' sign. I'm dissappointed. I hate typing this on my phone so i will edit it tomorrow from phoenix. As it was said yesterday, tool shows are best enjoyed in a lazy boy. Mylegs are tired.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Read my review from last night. Same everything except for theier clothes! Crowd was WAY too pumped for me. Lol. I was getting tossed around in the beginning. Feel bad for the women. I moved further back n everything was fine until a fight broke out. For those there i was standing next to the guy holding the 'will work for tool' sign. I'm dissappointed. I hate typing this on my phone so i will edit it tomorrow from phoenix. As it was said yesterday, tool shows are best enjoyed in a lazy boy. Mylegs are tired.
07-19-2009, 09:21 PM

nothing new for me, have seen them six times now and they blow me away every time!!! Seeing them do Stinkfist, lateralus and flood live are worth the 60 bucks for me!! Maynard seemed pretty upbeat tonight, and Danny is fuckin unbelievable on the drums.....like I said nothing new for me, just another kick ass show!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

nothing new for me, have seen them six times now and they blow me away every time!!! Seeing them do Stinkfist, lateralus and flood live are worth the 60 bucks for me!! Maynard seemed pretty upbeat tonight, and Danny is fuckin unbelievable on the drums.....like I said nothing new for me, just another kick ass show!!!
OFFLINE |  
mungbuddy's Avatar mungbuddy
07-19-2009, 09:22 PM

I am way disappointed. if you saw them a couple years ago, dont waste your money. its the same show. boring. The lights and shit are cool, musicianship was awesome, except for maynard. that fucker missed a lot of parts. pretty sad...im bummed.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 78

I am way disappointed. if you saw them a couple years ago, dont waste your money. its the same show. boring. The lights and shit are cool, musicianship was awesome, except for maynard. that fucker missed a lot of parts. pretty sad...im bummed.
07-19-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungbuddy View Post
I tend to agree about Maynard not being into the show. Seems to have checked out.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I tend to agree about Maynard not being into the show. Seems to have checked out.
OFFLINE |  
Illuminus's Avatar Illuminus
07-19-2009, 09:33 PM

After being BLOWN away in December of 2007, this show basically makes me heartbroken. I know that is an odd statement to makew, but I am very let down. By far the most sloppy performance I have ever seen. As someone said, nothing new, except a few new visuals on Laterlus and Rosetta. Of all the songs Tool could whip out for their fans they chose the same songs they have been playing for over 2 years. How uninspiring. I really believe they are losing touch. I hope to god people get amazing set lists towards the end of the tour. This afterall was the second show, but no excuse to let the true fans and those who want to witness true fusion down. How can they be inspired playing the same set over and over? I am really sad guys. Please Tool, prove me dead wrong and start getting creative again.

If I see the same set being posted through the tour I will be soooo disappointed in my favorite band. Most would say I shouldnt bitch, I got to see Tool live. That's just not true. The way I see it is that I was ripped off. Same songs as two years ago and quite a sloppy and uninspired set. As an artists, I feel I have the total right to say what I have said. 3rd show in 2 years and this was truely a let DOWN.

Over and out

Last edited by Illuminus; 07-19-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

After being BLOWN away in December of 2007, this show basically makes me heartbroken. I know that is an odd statement to makew, but I am very let down. By far the most sloppy performance I have ever seen. As someone said, nothing new, except a few new visuals on Laterlus and Rosetta. Of all the songs Tool could whip out for their fans they chose the same songs they have been playing for over 2 years. How uninspiring. I really believe they are losing touch. I hope to god people get amazing set lists towards the end of the tour. This afterall was the second show, but no excuse to let the true fans and those who want to witness true fusion down. How can they be inspired playing the same set over and over? I am really sad guys. Please Tool, prove me dead wrong and start getting creative again.

If I see the same set being posted through the tour I will be soooo disappointed in my favorite band. Most would say I shouldnt bitch, I got to see Tool live. That's just not true. The way I see it is that I was ripped off. Same songs as two years ago and quite a sloppy and uninspired set. As an artists, I feel I have the total right to say what I have said. 3rd show in 2 years and this was truely a let DOWN.

Over and out

Last edited by Illuminus; 07-19-2009 at 09:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
07-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Were you even there? Of course Maynard wasn't on. He has been distant since they started touring 10K Days. The sad thing is they were all off on more than one song. Justin was obviously drunk as usual, but at the start he seemed wayyy more off than I've ever seen him. They all had their fuck ups, and as a live performer I know that being off happens. But at $50 a ticket., that shit was inexcusable.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Were you even there? Of course Maynard wasn't on. He has been distant since they started touring 10K Days. The sad thing is they were all off on more than one song. Justin was obviously drunk as usual, but at the start he seemed wayyy more off than I've ever seen him. They all had their fuck ups, and as a live performer I know that being off happens. But at $50 a ticket., that shit was inexcusable.
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
07-19-2009, 09:49 PM

Alrighty then..

Not sure where to begin for my review of tonights show. I suppose I should say that after having faith yesterday... I am terribly disapointed with the setlist. I don't want to start bitching right now. I can't stand whiney mother fuckers who can't appreciate what they have. Like many others on these forums, I would consider myself a very "passionate" fan. Take that for what you will. However, considering I am going to every show this tour - right now I am not as excited after day 2 than I was in the months leading up to the show.

Also, Utah can go fuck itself. Horrible experience all around for me.
I can't even fucking drink a COKE in the hotel bar after the show because i'm not 21? Sorry that 20 years and 8 months disqualifies me from drinking a fucking COKE... god-damn mother fuckers. land of the free my ass.

anyways, back to TOOL.

The entire night I was VERY excited waiting for "that song". I did not know what it was going to be, but there was going to be something. Pushit? The Cover? H? Parabola? ANYTHING I would have been happy with. Fuck, they could play twinkle twinkle little star and I'd still be shitting bricks.

But no. The same setlist as the entire 2007 tour, MINUS a 20 minute song, with no replacement. And no festival excuse tonight. Oh well.

That's the negative.

The positives:

-Tweak Bird. Hah.. interesting band.. very original I suppose. That drummer is definately impressive managing some decent drumming along with vocals.
-I was front row mosh pit against the rail on Justin's side. I saw the same single drum put on side stage that they used for the "extended" lateralus yesterday. I assumed this would be used at the same spot today for tweak bird's drummer. But it did not happen.
-Halfway through the show, about 4-5 security guards starting freaking out pointing at some chick taking professional pictures on the upper level behind the security tape. Turns out it was Adam's wife.
-They did a longer intermission than usual, and the band actually left the stage this time. Never seen that before.
-Lasers, Light show, videos epic as always. Bravo Junior and team. Thanks Junior for the brief talk after the show. You're a class act. See you at some point later in the tour.

Overall, I think the vibe for 90% of the venue was that this, like all TOOL shows, was fucking epicly amazing. It doesn't get any better.

However, for those of us "hardcore" fans, whatever that means, if anything... the setlist issue is far too profound to ignore at this point.

Over and out.
Bring on Phoenix.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

Alrighty then..

Not sure where to begin for my review of tonights show. I suppose I should say that after having faith yesterday... I am terribly disapointed with the setlist. I don't want to start bitching right now. I can't stand whiney mother fuckers who can't appreciate what they have. Like many others on these forums, I would consider myself a very "passionate" fan. Take that for what you will. However, considering I am going to every show this tour - right now I am not as excited after day 2 than I was in the months leading up to the show.

Also, Utah can go fuck itself. Horrible experience all around for me.
I can't even fucking drink a COKE in the hotel bar after the show because i'm not 21? Sorry that 20 years and 8 months disqualifies me from drinking a fucking COKE... god-damn mother fuckers. land of the free my ass.

anyways, back to TOOL.

The entire night I was VERY excited waiting for "that song". I did not know what it was going to be, but there was going to be something. Pushit? The Cover? H? Parabola? ANYTHING I would have been happy with. Fuck, they could play twinkle twinkle little star and I'd still be shitting bricks.

But no. The same setlist as the entire 2007 tour, MINUS a 20 minute song, with no replacement. And no festival excuse tonight. Oh well.

That's the negative.

The positives:

-Tweak Bird. Hah.. interesting band.. very original I suppose. That drummer is definately impressive managing some decent drumming along with vocals.
-I was front row mosh pit against the rail on Justin's side. I saw the same single drum put on side stage that they used for the "extended" lateralus yesterday. I assumed this would be used at the same spot today for tweak bird's drummer. But it did not happen.
-Halfway through the show, about 4-5 security guards starting freaking out pointing at some chick taking professional pictures on the upper level behind the security tape. Turns out it was Adam's wife.
-They did a longer intermission than usual, and the band actually left the stage this time. Never seen that before.
-Lasers, Light show, videos epic as always. Bravo Junior and team. Thanks Junior for the brief talk after the show. You're a class act. See you at some point later in the tour.

Overall, I think the vibe for 90% of the venue was that this, like all TOOL shows, was fucking epicly amazing. It doesn't get any better.

However, for those of us "hardcore" fans, whatever that means, if anything... the setlist issue is far too profound to ignore at this point.

Over and out.
Bring on Phoenix.
07-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Same setlist, same lights, same stage, same intermission... I'm not complaining but it's a little weird to see the exact same show all over again. It's like they said "lets unpack all the old shit and make a quick buck". Tool is still amazing and the same old show still kicked ass!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Same setlist, same lights, same stage, same intermission... I'm not complaining but it's a little weird to see the exact same show all over again. It's like they said "lets unpack all the old shit and make a quick buck". Tool is still amazing and the same old show still kicked ass!
OFFLINE |  
junior
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
That would actually have been Rynne (Danny's GF).
Old 07-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
OFFLINE |  
07-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I wasn't on the floor otherwise I woulda came and said what up to ya man. You did an excellent job as usual my friend. Loved the way vicarious looked on the stage projection where it split and met in the middle. Forgot what that effect is called, I use that in photoshop all the time though.

Again man good job. I absolutely hate complaining about Tool, and its weird because this really is the first time I've ever complained. But I did appreciate the visuals as usual. You've got a rad job dude. Have fun the rest of the tour homie!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I wasn't on the floor otherwise I woulda came and said what up to ya man. You did an excellent job as usual my friend. Loved the way vicarious looked on the stage projection where it split and met in the middle. Forgot what that effect is called, I use that in photoshop all the time though.

Again man good job. I absolutely hate complaining about Tool, and its weird because this really is the first time I've ever complained. But I did appreciate the visuals as usual. You've got a rad job dude. Have fun the rest of the tour homie!
OFFLINE |  
failure21
07-19-2009, 11:39 PM

This is my eleventh Tool show and I must say that I feel the same as most of you. In eleven shows I've seen Stinkfist and 46 & 2 nine times each. I saw them two times for the Lateralus tour and three times last tour and now tonight and with a couple of exceptions its been the same set list. I love Tool, I bought one of the signed posters tonight and I was hoping that this tour would be similar to the '98 tour when they played a different setlist each night. Alas....

The show was amazing, I still love Tool, but after a couple years of the same songs you get the feeling that they are mailing it in to a certain extent. That disappoints me. When and if they put out another record, I'll pay to see them again, but as my brother put it tonight, "I wouldn't pay to see them twice on the same tour ever again."

And as someone wrote above...I hope that the later dates get a better set.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

This is my eleventh Tool show and I must say that I feel the same as most of you. In eleven shows I've seen Stinkfist and 46 & 2 nine times each. I saw them two times for the Lateralus tour and three times last tour and now tonight and with a couple of exceptions its been the same set list. I love Tool, I bought one of the signed posters tonight and I was hoping that this tour would be similar to the '98 tour when they played a different setlist each night. Alas....

The show was amazing, I still love Tool, but after a couple years of the same songs you get the feeling that they are mailing it in to a certain extent. That disappoints me. When and if they put out another record, I'll pay to see them again, but as my brother put it tonight, "I wouldn't pay to see them twice on the same tour ever again."

And as someone wrote above...I hope that the later dates get a better set.
OFFLINE |  
goodGod
07-19-2009, 11:47 PM

This would be my 47th time seeing TOOL.

The music is TOOL so the music that we got was great. I no longer expect to experience an aenima or lateralus type tour again so I take what I can get. If you experienced the good ole days then you know about what I write. The drive to the venue was full of anticipation. Walking from my car to the venue gave me and my friends the chills. Getting our persons checked and entering the building and it was on.

We stood in the pit somewhere with out moshing but still rocking out to our favorite band. They each had their place and the screens and the lights just enhanced the stimulating experience that overwhelmed my senses. The lights, the videos, the set lists - they were perfect back then. I knew pretty much what I was getting from show to show and I was so happy to make the long drives and occasional flights to catch about 10 shows per tour.

Now the lights are not as good but the lasers are freaking awesome. The videos are great and getting better.

But the set list does not inspire ANYTHING - it is what it is - and unfortunately it is crap.

I know it and you know it and there is no more denying it. What makes it unfortunate is that the set list is not going to change much if at all. I know it and you know it and there is no denying it. What used to be the best event on earth every four years has become just another concert. It does not inspire.

The only other shows I am going to are Phoenix, Chicago, and Pomona. The only reason I am going to Phoenix is because I am going to see friends on the way back to Caliornia. I am going to Chicago to visit friends and for the general party - not for this set list - no way jose. At Pomona I was going to introduce some younger friends to TOOL. I still will but they will not get out of it what I got out of any previous tour at any prior venue on any earlier date. Even if they fall in love with TOOL and download or buy all their music they will never hear it live the way some of us were lucky to...

... and that my friends is the sad truth.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

This would be my 47th time seeing TOOL.

The music is TOOL so the music that we got was great. I no longer expect to experience an aenima or lateralus type tour again so I take what I can get. If you experienced the good ole days then you know about what I write. The drive to the venue was full of anticipation. Walking from my car to the venue gave me and my friends the chills. Getting our persons checked and entering the building and it was on.

We stood in the pit somewhere with out moshing but still rocking out to our favorite band. They each had their place and the screens and the lights just enhanced the stimulating experience that overwhelmed my senses. The lights, the videos, the set lists - they were perfect back then. I knew pretty much what I was getting from show to show and I was so happy to make the long drives and occasional flights to catch about 10 shows per tour.

Now the lights are not as good but the lasers are freaking awesome. The videos are great and getting better.

But the set list does not inspire ANYTHING - it is what it is - and unfortunately it is crap.

I know it and you know it and there is no more denying it. What makes it unfortunate is that the set list is not going to change much if at all. I know it and you know it and there is no denying it. What used to be the best event on earth every four years has become just another concert. It does not inspire.

The only other shows I am going to are Phoenix, Chicago, and Pomona. The only reason I am going to Phoenix is because I am going to see friends on the way back to Caliornia. I am going to Chicago to visit friends and for the general party - not for this set list - no way jose. At Pomona I was going to introduce some younger friends to TOOL. I still will but they will not get out of it what I got out of any previous tour at any prior venue on any earlier date. Even if they fall in love with TOOL and download or buy all their music they will never hear it live the way some of us were lucky to...

... and that my friends is the sad truth.
OFFLINE |  
Intolerable
07-20-2009, 01:38 AM

It was cool how Danny came out and played in a Utah Jazz jersey, (#5 Carlos Boozer). He changed it to a Lakers one at the intermession though. He still had the Jazz shorts on.

I wish Maynard was in a more 'showman' mode. I had seen show clips from years ago where he had been putting on a straight up stage routine, cracking jokes, etc.

He only spoke twice tonight... at the start of the concert he asked us if we wanted to take part in an experiement. For the experiement he had us raise up our right hands with the palm facing the back of the building and recite 'home'. Not sure what that was, anyone have a clue?

I couldn't really make out much of the other time he spoke. It was something like "You can always remember today as the day you were here. Today is the day that you were here, and that I was here, and that you were here with me". That's not a direct quote. Infact that could be completely off. Did anyone catch it?

This was my first show, so I thought it was kickass regardless. Yeah I suppose they were a little off and maybe not totally into it... maybe they're still a little rusty.. They were probably tired from the night before.

It was so awesome to hear them play Flood. It caught me completely off guard. Jambi was awesome, Stinkfist was dope and had a little extended guitar part, which was also good. The vocals for Rosetta Stoned at the beginning were wierd and didn't sound that great, but the song picked up and it was awesome to hear it live.

I did feel like it was a short show. I felt like The Pot and 10,000 Days were defintly missing from it. I was sure they would play them. Also maybe a Sober or Aenima. Naturally, my expectations were probably much much too high.

At the end of the show Maynard peaced out, but the rest of the band stuck around and thanked the crowd and seemed to be really appreciative of the audience. Danny threw his drumsticks and a couple of frisbees out into the crowd.

I'll definitly go back to see them again. Hopefully they'll have more energy next time. Hell, maybe they'll even have some new songs.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

It was cool how Danny came out and played in a Utah Jazz jersey, (#5 Carlos Boozer). He changed it to a Lakers one at the intermession though. He still had the Jazz shorts on.

I wish Maynard was in a more 'showman' mode. I had seen show clips from years ago where he had been putting on a straight up stage routine, cracking jokes, etc.

He only spoke twice tonight... at the start of the concert he asked us if we wanted to take part in an experiement. For the experiement he had us raise up our right hands with the palm facing the back of the building and recite 'home'. Not sure what that was, anyone have a clue?

I couldn't really make out much of the other time he spoke. It was something like "You can always remember today as the day you were here. Today is the day that you were here, and that I was here, and that you were here with me". That's not a direct quote. Infact that could be completely off. Did anyone catch it?

This was my first show, so I thought it was kickass regardless. Yeah I suppose they were a little off and maybe not totally into it... maybe they're still a little rusty.. They were probably tired from the night before.

It was so awesome to hear them play Flood. It caught me completely off guard. Jambi was awesome, Stinkfist was dope and had a little extended guitar part, which was also good. The vocals for Rosetta Stoned at the beginning were wierd and didn't sound that great, but the song picked up and it was awesome to hear it live.

I did feel like it was a short show. I felt like The Pot and 10,000 Days were defintly missing from it. I was sure they would play them. Also maybe a Sober or Aenima. Naturally, my expectations were probably much much too high.

At the end of the show Maynard peaced out, but the rest of the band stuck around and thanked the crowd and seemed to be really appreciative of the audience. Danny threw his drumsticks and a couple of frisbees out into the crowd.

I'll definitly go back to see them again. Hopefully they'll have more energy next time. Hell, maybe they'll even have some new songs.
OFFLINE |  
the_yeti
07-20-2009, 05:30 AM

You know - I dont know why you guys are bitching. Yeah - its the same set list 3 years later, but there has been no new album either.

I didnt expect anything new (or old for that matter) because you all know that Maynard has been off signing wine bottles all month, not practicing with Tool.

I liked the show. It was great. I didnt catch the mistakes you guys are claiming (although I am sure they were made) and I thought Flood was awesomly distorted.

You guys need to take to heart what Maynard said. "this is today, 2009. Today. And you are here. It may be similar to other days, but this is today, and you are here"

Thats not a direct quote, but its close.

The only thing that I thought could have been better was the vocals on Rosetta Stoned, but that was probably the venues issue as much as the band.

******************Venue Review ***************
Overall, I liked it. Wikipedia says 15,000 people for end stage concerts. My experiance with arena shows are pretty much the Palace in Detroit and Joe Louis Arena, and one horrible show at Cobo.

The venue seemed smaller to me than the Palace. I liked how the seats are a good 15 feet above the floor. It defiantly sounds like an arena, but I bet EVERY concert has the exact same sound quality where as the Palace is hit or miss.

The venue never seemed crowded, it was hot, staff was nazi's about tickets.

I like how its in a Downtown as opposed to sitting in the middle of nowhere in the middle of acres of parking lot.

Salt Lake City -BEAUTIFUL. Its 100 degress and you can see snow on the mountain. I cant imagine ever coming here unless you are into hiking or skiing and other outdoor shit. That's why I am glad I come for concerts. Cause its freakin pretty here.

That is all
Old 07-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

You know - I dont know why you guys are bitching. Yeah - its the same set list 3 years later, but there has been no new album either.

I didnt expect anything new (or old for that matter) because you all know that Maynard has been off signing wine bottles all month, not practicing with Tool.

I liked the show. It was great. I didnt catch the mistakes you guys are claiming (although I am sure they were made) and I thought Flood was awesomly distorted.

You guys need to take to heart what Maynard said. "this is today, 2009. Today. And you are here. It may be similar to other days, but this is today, and you are here"

Thats not a direct quote, but its close.

The only thing that I thought could have been better was the vocals on Rosetta Stoned, but that was probably the venues issue as much as the band.

******************Venue Review ***************
Overall, I liked it. Wikipedia says 15,000 people for end stage concerts. My experiance with arena shows are pretty much the Palace in Detroit and Joe Louis Arena, and one horrible show at Cobo.

The venue seemed smaller to me than the Palace. I liked how the seats are a good 15 feet above the floor. It defiantly sounds like an arena, but I bet EVERY concert has the exact same sound quality where as the Palace is hit or miss.

The venue never seemed crowded, it was hot, staff was nazi's about tickets.

I like how its in a Downtown as opposed to sitting in the middle of nowhere in the middle of acres of parking lot.

Salt Lake City -BEAUTIFUL. Its 100 degress and you can see snow on the mountain. I cant imagine ever coming here unless you are into hiking or skiing and other outdoor shit. That's why I am glad I come for concerts. Cause its freakin pretty here.

That is all
OFFLINE |  
calumny's Avatar calumny
07-20-2009, 05:39 AM

no complaints! the whole band was spot on, and aside from the terrible acoustics of the ESArena, nothing was wrong at all. i disagree with almost every post here so far, and i have seen them the last 5 times they've rolled through here (including last night). i'm not sure why so many people seem to expect so much beyond the incredible things they bring every time. you let yourself down is all, really.

i felt entirely connected to all of them. maynard was fully into it. they were all so thankful, and so was i. i wish they would have played 10k days, wings, and the pot.

everyone place your right palm to the rear of the building and [whisper] "welcome".

welcome. thank you.

Last edited by calumny; 07-20-2009 at 05:43 AM..
Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

no complaints! the whole band was spot on, and aside from the terrible acoustics of the ESArena, nothing was wrong at all. i disagree with almost every post here so far, and i have seen them the last 5 times they've rolled through here (including last night). i'm not sure why so many people seem to expect so much beyond the incredible things they bring every time. you let yourself down is all, really.

i felt entirely connected to all of them. maynard was fully into it. they were all so thankful, and so was i. i wish they would have played 10k days, wings, and the pot.

everyone place your right palm to the rear of the building and [whisper] "welcome".

welcome. thank you.

Last edited by calumny; 07-20-2009 at 05:43 AM..
OFFLINE |  
TimTheToolMan's Avatar TimTheToolMan
07-20-2009, 05:39 AM

This was my first Tool concert. I had a great seat about half court a few rows up with a great view of the stage. I've seen them live on TV/Youtube, and heard some live shows on the internet, but I have to say in general the show was incredible ... but with a few complaints. The biggest complaint is how short the show was. I was obviously ignorant about their set list from previous shows, so I didn't know the list ... but this band has been around the better part of 17+ years and all they could come up with was 9 songs??

There are songs like Aenima and Prison Sex that clearly put them on the map and get the most radio play, but they didn't' want to play them for some reason. The long parts of some songs without Maynard seemed to be more of a time filler so Maynard can prepare for the next song, take a piss, meditate or whatever he seemed to be doing during 30% of the show when he wasn't around. The visuals/videos, and the laser light show was amazing, but seemed to drag on with nothing new or exciting once it started.

I thought the idea of doing some improvisations or extended solos/riffs on their songs was generally a cool idea, but in some ways it seemed like they screwed up the tempo at times, or couldn't get the guitar effects just right and it sounded like they were just winging it (again for a time filler).

Then when the show was over ... it really was. No encores, no nothing. It was almost as if when the lights came on everyone was was looking around saying "That was it??" It was rather anti-climactic.

I've been a Tool fan for many many years, and I know I will be for many more but I'm not sure if I'm going to be in a big rush to see them the next time they come out here.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool concert. I had a great seat about half court a few rows up with a great view of the stage. I've seen them live on TV/Youtube, and heard some live shows on the internet, but I have to say in general the show was incredible ... but with a few complaints. The biggest complaint is how short the show was. I was obviously ignorant about their set list from previous shows, so I didn't know the list ... but this band has been around the better part of 17+ years and all they could come up with was 9 songs??

There are songs like Aenima and Prison Sex that clearly put them on the map and get the most radio play, but they didn't' want to play them for some reason. The long parts of some songs without Maynard seemed to be more of a time filler so Maynard can prepare for the next song, take a piss, meditate or whatever he seemed to be doing during 30% of the show when he wasn't around. The visuals/videos, and the laser light show was amazing, but seemed to drag on with nothing new or exciting once it started.

I thought the idea of doing some improvisations or extended solos/riffs on their songs was generally a cool idea, but in some ways it seemed like they screwed up the tempo at times, or couldn't get the guitar effects just right and it sounded like they were just winging it (again for a time filler).

Then when the show was over ... it really was. No encores, no nothing. It was almost as if when the lights came on everyone was was looking around saying "That was it??" It was rather anti-climactic.

I've been a Tool fan for many many years, and I know I will be for many more but I'm not sure if I'm going to be in a big rush to see them the next time they come out here.
OFFLINE |  
07-20-2009, 05:44 AM

Oh and to clarify what he did with the audience in the beginning - he (Maynard) wanted to make everyone feel "at home" with them being there and when he had one side of the arena whisper to the other (our side) we said "WELCOME HOME", not just "WELCOME"
Old 07-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Oh and to clarify what he did with the audience in the beginning - he (Maynard) wanted to make everyone feel "at home" with them being there and when he had one side of the arena whisper to the other (our side) we said "WELCOME HOME", not just "WELCOME"
OFFLINE |  
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
07-20-2009, 07:04 AM

yet another great show, a little more tight than the night before
Old 07-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

yet another great show, a little more tight than the night before
07-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheToolMan View Post
doh! i had a hard time making out what he was saying when he would talk, too much natural reverb. i said "welcome".
Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheToolMan View Post
doh! i had a hard time making out what he was saying when he would talk, too much natural reverb. i said "welcome".
OFFLINE |  
Sprry75's Avatar Sprry75
07-20-2009, 08:34 AM

I've posted my thoughts on the show all over, but I'll come in here to say that of the five times I've seen them, Maynard was by far more animated this time around. Perhaps it was because of where I was sitting (Sec 8, just above Adam) so I had a great view of MJK, but he seemed really into it for most of the show. The only time he was standing still was when he was playing keyboards or working the funky sound effect thing (which he also did quite a bit of during the Vegas Puscifer show I attended).

Still not as good as either of the Lateralus shows I saw, but over all, better than the two 10,000 Days shows.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I've posted my thoughts on the show all over, but I'll come in here to say that of the five times I've seen them, Maynard was by far more animated this time around. Perhaps it was because of where I was sitting (Sec 8, just above Adam) so I had a great view of MJK, but he seemed really into it for most of the show. The only time he was standing still was when he was playing keyboards or working the funky sound effect thing (which he also did quite a bit of during the Vegas Puscifer show I attended).

Still not as good as either of the Lateralus shows I saw, but over all, better than the two 10,000 Days shows.
07-20-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprry75 View Post
I've posted my thoughts on the show all over, but I'll come in here to say that of the five times I've seen them, Maynard was by far more animated this time around. Perhaps it was because of where I was sitting (Sec 8, just above Adam) so I had a great view of MJK, but he seemed really into it for most of the show.
i felt that too, it felt like he really wanted to be there and was grateful that he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordo View Post
I have gone to 30ish shows dating back to the early club shows
while that isn't a "problem" (i've never seen 1 band that many times, and would love to, sure!), but i think that's your problem. you're expecting too much. you aren't just realizing this nor accepting it for what it is, which is a showcase of music (regardless of how many times you have heard it or have seen it live) in a live setting with astonishing visuals that actually mean something if you know what to look for, or want to.

shit, the sole fact there was a bright green unicursal hexagram hanging in the middle of the ESArena was enough for me to come check out.

i think it's a false sense of entitlement, that is all.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprry75 View Post
I've posted my thoughts on the show all over, but I'll come in here to say that of the five times I've seen them, Maynard was by far more animated this time around. Perhaps it was because of where I was sitting (Sec 8, just above Adam) so I had a great view of MJK, but he seemed really into it for most of the show.
i felt that too, it felt like he really wanted to be there and was grateful that he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordo View Post
I have gone to 30ish shows dating back to the early club shows
while that isn't a "problem" (i've never seen 1 band that many times, and would love to, sure!), but i think that's your problem. you're expecting too much. you aren't just realizing this nor accepting it for what it is, which is a showcase of music (regardless of how many times you have heard it or have seen it live) in a live setting with astonishing visuals that actually mean something if you know what to look for, or want to.

shit, the sole fact there was a bright green unicursal hexagram hanging in the middle of the ESArena was enough for me to come check out.

i think it's a false sense of entitlement, that is all.
OFFLINE |  
PaistePlayer
07-20-2009, 04:00 PM

It's not a false sense of entitlement. Thank god for this place and its reviews. I have tickets to Atlanta and they just got sold. If I had drivien 6 hours after paying HIGHER TICKET PRICES for the same show minus almost 30 mins of music to boot - I would have been pissed to no end. Its a joke. Not that I love Metallica or anything but those OLD men are playing 3 hour shows. I can't believe TOOL played the same short set that they played in the middle of a rushed festival. Embarassing for a band of their level. I'll wait for a new album. The set list will still be predictable, but at least I'll get to see something new.

Last edited by PaistePlayer; 07-20-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

It's not a false sense of entitlement. Thank god for this place and its reviews. I have tickets to Atlanta and they just got sold. If I had drivien 6 hours after paying HIGHER TICKET PRICES for the same show minus almost 30 mins of music to boot - I would have been pissed to no end. Its a joke. Not that I love Metallica or anything but those OLD men are playing 3 hour shows. I can't believe TOOL played the same short set that they played in the middle of a rushed festival. Embarassing for a band of their level. I'll wait for a new album. The set list will still be predictable, but at least I'll get to see something new.

Last edited by PaistePlayer; 07-20-2009 at 11:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Intolerable
07-20-2009, 09:06 PM

They did have an opening band. 'Tweak Bird' - it was a drummer, guitarist and like a wind instrument specialist.

They weren't too bad, the singing was fucking weird but other then that I could get down. The guitarist sounded like he was 15 or so when he spoke, but he had some good strong riffs going on. They had one song that I really enjoyed, it was more mellow with one reed instrument playing the whole time. It actually sounded a lot like Reflection, when that reed instrument is playing before the vocals.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

They did have an opening band. 'Tweak Bird' - it was a drummer, guitarist and like a wind instrument specialist.

They weren't too bad, the singing was fucking weird but other then that I could get down. The guitarist sounded like he was 15 or so when he spoke, but he had some good strong riffs going on. They had one song that I really enjoyed, it was more mellow with one reed instrument playing the whole time. It actually sounded a lot like Reflection, when that reed instrument is playing before the vocals.
OFFLINE |  
Flood Hanahou
07-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Did anyone else get the feeling that this might be it, the last tour. Kind of felt like that when Maynard said "today is today and you were here. Remember you were here" or something like that. I don't understand all the bitching. I thought it was a great show. If you see a band 10 plus times, it's inevitable that some of the magic will disappear. Thanks Tool!! Everyone I know throughly enjoyed it. Better go see them while you still can.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anyone else get the feeling that this might be it, the last tour. Kind of felt like that when Maynard said "today is today and you were here. Remember you were here" or something like that. I don't understand all the bitching. I thought it was a great show. If you see a band 10 plus times, it's inevitable that some of the magic will disappear. Thanks Tool!! Everyone I know throughly enjoyed it. Better go see them while you still can.
OFFLINE |  
Liquidity Trap
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM

Anyone else notice that some of the lasers where actually reflected off of mirrors on the stage? Some of the lasers were reflected as much as two times. Kind of neat.

Maynard definitely has lost his yelling voice. Many of the songs climax at the end, but Maynard just didn't have it like he used to. He'd either just sing the words (instead of yelling) or wouldn't even sing them at all. I don't think he sang the end part of Flood. Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #27

Bincount™: 1

Anyone else notice that some of the lasers where actually reflected off of mirrors on the stage? Some of the lasers were reflected as much as two times. Kind of neat.

Maynard definitely has lost his yelling voice. Many of the songs climax at the end, but Maynard just didn't have it like he used to. He'd either just sing the words (instead of yelling) or wouldn't even sing them at all. I don't think he sang the end part of Flood. Can anyone else confirm this?
OFFLINE |  
xzevans
07-20-2009, 11:14 PM

Maynardism before Stinkfist:

"Tonight, your misssion, is to treat this as your home. And to look out for each other. *crowd cheers* So what I want you to do is every one raise your hand up with your palms facing the rear of the building, that way. And then quietly say; dont yell it, dont scream it. Whisper it, on three say welcome home. 1....2...3....*crowd recites 'Welcome home'* Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIJxN...e=channel_page

Last edited by xzevans; 07-20-2009 at 11:22 PM..
Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynardism before Stinkfist:

"Tonight, your misssion, is to treat this as your home. And to look out for each other. *crowd cheers* So what I want you to do is every one raise your hand up with your palms facing the rear of the building, that way. And then quietly say; dont yell it, dont scream it. Whisper it, on three say welcome home. 1....2...3....*crowd recites 'Welcome home'* Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIJxN...e=channel_page

Last edited by xzevans; 07-20-2009 at 11:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
cliff4tool
07-21-2009, 01:27 AM

after driving to denver from boise (13 hours) I too was disappointed to find out it was going to be the same stage, song list, light show i have seen 5 times on the 10,000 day tour!! super bummed out, while my buddy and i woke the next morning getting ready to drive to salt lake to see them again we both were hesitating, as if we didn't want to even go to the salt lake show!! so we took off for our 8 hour drive, got to slc with enough time to grab a beer and find our seats.... even though i was disappointed the night before, I kept an open mind and had faith that they would redeem them selfs.... THEY DID! awsome show! they could play that set forever and i would still support them. Although i would love to hear some other songs (push it, jesus christ, the pot) but im satisfied I only pray that they keep giving us the music to live by!! pleas please PLEASE PLEASE GIVE US MORE ALBUMS, DONT STOP I NEED NEW TOOL LYRICS\ MUSIC SOOOOON!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

after driving to denver from boise (13 hours) I too was disappointed to find out it was going to be the same stage, song list, light show i have seen 5 times on the 10,000 day tour!! super bummed out, while my buddy and i woke the next morning getting ready to drive to salt lake to see them again we both were hesitating, as if we didn't want to even go to the salt lake show!! so we took off for our 8 hour drive, got to slc with enough time to grab a beer and find our seats.... even though i was disappointed the night before, I kept an open mind and had faith that they would redeem them selfs.... THEY DID! awsome show! they could play that set forever and i would still support them. Although i would love to hear some other songs (push it, jesus christ, the pot) but im satisfied I only pray that they keep giving us the music to live by!! pleas please PLEASE PLEASE GIVE US MORE ALBUMS, DONT STOP I NEED NEW TOOL LYRICS\ MUSIC SOOOOON!
OFFLINE |  
Triptolemus's Avatar Triptolemus
07-21-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intolerable View Post
Danny threw his drumsticks and a couple of frisbees out into the crowd.
Those were drum heads, not frisbees. Sometimes, they are signed by Danny.

Regarding the raising of the hand, pointing the palm to the back of the building (north)... did anyone consider that the Mormon Temple is in that direction???
Old 07-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intolerable View Post
Danny threw his drumsticks and a couple of frisbees out into the crowd.
Those were drum heads, not frisbees. Sometimes, they are signed by Danny.

Regarding the raising of the hand, pointing the palm to the back of the building (north)... did anyone consider that the Mormon Temple is in that direction???
OFFLINE |  
l_ron_hubbard
07-21-2009, 08:32 AM

^in response to that. I interpreted that as looking at the aurora in your hand, and saying welcome home to yourself and universe that resides within and without you. This seems consistent with his later comment about being here in this unique moment.

I can't believe no one has pointed out the awesome extension they did on Vicarious. They did a drum-solo-ish pump-up near the end of Vicarious that i thought was cool.

Other than that, this is my 11th time seeing Tool and this was by far the worst show. The setlist is so fucking short, they're just warming up for Lollapalooza. They should have at least given us Right in Two if they're taking out wings. Total waste of money.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

^in response to that. I interpreted that as looking at the aurora in your hand, and saying welcome home to yourself and universe that resides within and without you. This seems consistent with his later comment about being here in this unique moment.

I can't believe no one has pointed out the awesome extension they did on Vicarious. They did a drum-solo-ish pump-up near the end of Vicarious that i thought was cool.

Other than that, this is my 11th time seeing Tool and this was by far the worst show. The setlist is so fucking short, they're just warming up for Lollapalooza. They should have at least given us Right in Two if they're taking out wings. Total waste of money.
OFFLINE |  
07-21-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity Trap View Post
I did notice that too. In parts where he should have belted out some lyrics, he only sang them. And often there were times when he was singing into the megaphone, his voice was so muddled you could barely understand him. I guess any singer is entitled to off nights I guess ... but with a voice as powerful as his(was??) I was expecting to get goosebumps hearing some of the notes and screams he can hit, but alas - no goosebumps
Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity Trap View Post
I did notice that too. In parts where he should have belted out some lyrics, he only sang them. And often there were times when he was singing into the megaphone, his voice was so muddled you could barely understand him. I guess any singer is entitled to off nights I guess ... but with a voice as powerful as his(was??) I was expecting to get goosebumps hearing some of the notes and screams he can hit, but alas - no goosebumps
OFFLINE |  
merkaboy
07-21-2009, 11:44 AM

you ungreatful motherfuckers!!! this was my 18th TOOL show since '97 and it wasn't the greatest (that would be portland, dec. '07), but it was still absolutely incredible!!! maynard was a little hard to hear because of the arena, but all four were spot on! especially danny and adam, i think this was actually one of danny's best performances that i've seen, every song had little fills that i've never heard before, not even last year. maynard even seemed more animated than other times. he did bolt pretty quickly after he was done singing vicarious, which was wierd cause they always do the 4 way hug at the end. now, everyone's complaining about the setlist, and i admit that since this was the first tour since '98 that they wern't supporting a new album, they might change it up, maybe throw in a cover, but as soon as jambi started i got the feeling it was gonna be pretty much the same as last year. but goddamnit! i take what i can get! some of you people are getting waaaay too jaded. sure this would be i guess the 4th time i've seen pretty much this same set, but damnit i'd watch the exact same set EVERY SINGLE NITE before i go to bed, if i could. 50 dollars is a small price to pay for an experience like this, i dont care how many times you've seen it. by the way, they've pretty much ALWAYS done that with the set. it's only becaue i saw the laturalus tour 11 times that i got to see some varied songs, but the tours for the last three albums have been pretty much the same in that every show is pretty identicle within that tour, with the exception of 1 or 2 songs that vary occasionaly. believe me, i had this same complaint back in 2002, but i got over it because TOOL really is the greatest musical 4some to come together since cavemen started pounding bone against stretched animal hide during the dawn of man. they put on a more psychadelic, emotionaly intense show than ANYONE, even the great pink floyd couldn't touch the majesty that is TOOL. 46 & 2 was incredible one again, extended stinkfist is always awesome, schism (one of my least fav songs) is unbelievable toward the end! flood was indescribable, laturalus is always mind blowing and even vicarious had some new signs of life. everyone should do everything the can to see this band live as much as possible, i traveled across 3 states to see my 18th show for gods sake! and it was not a dissapointment in the least. they are still going strong, and more creative than ever. i predict that 10 years from now, they'll still be touring, still be putting out albums that are even more progressive than the one before, and they'll take their place in the rock and roll hall of fame.

p.s. this set was still far better than the gorge '06, with the exception of a stunning rendition of opiate.

8/21/98 * 8/5/01 * 8/6/01 * 8/7/01 * 8/8/01 * 11/6/01 * 11/8/01 * 7/20/02 * 10/2/02 * 10/3/02 * 5/2/06 * 8/27/06 * 12/4/07 * 12/5/07 * 12/7/07 * 12/8/07 * 7/19/09 * 6/28/10 * 6/29/10 * 7/9/10 * 7/10/10 * 7/13/10
Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

you ungreatful motherfuckers!!! this was my 18th TOOL show since '97 and it wasn't the greatest (that would be portland, dec. '07), but it was still absolutely incredible!!! maynard was a little hard to hear because of the arena, but all four were spot on! especially danny and adam, i think this was actually one of danny's best performances that i've seen, every song had little fills that i've never heard before, not even last year. maynard even seemed more animated than other times. he did bolt pretty quickly after he was done singing vicarious, which was wierd cause they always do the 4 way hug at the end. now, everyone's complaining about the setlist, and i admit that since this was the first tour since '98 that they wern't supporting a new album, they might change it up, maybe throw in a cover, but as soon as jambi started i got the feeling it was gonna be pretty much the same as last year. but goddamnit! i take what i can get! some of you people are getting waaaay too jaded. sure this would be i guess the 4th time i've seen pretty much this same set, but damnit i'd watch the exact same set EVERY SINGLE NITE before i go to bed, if i could. 50 dollars is a small price to pay for an experience like this, i dont care how many times you've seen it. by the way, they've pretty much ALWAYS done that with the set. it's only becaue i saw the laturalus tour 11 times that i got to see some varied songs, but the tours for the last three albums have been pretty much the same in that every show is pretty identicle within that tour, with the exception of 1 or 2 songs that vary occasionaly. believe me, i had this same complaint back in 2002, but i got over it because TOOL really is the greatest musical 4some to come together since cavemen started pounding bone against stretched animal hide during the dawn of man. they put on a more psychadelic, emotionaly intense show than ANYONE, even the great pink floyd couldn't touch the majesty that is TOOL. 46 & 2 was incredible one again, extended stinkfist is always awesome, schism (one of my least fav songs) is unbelievable toward the end! flood was indescribable, laturalus is always mind blowing and even vicarious had some new signs of life. everyone should do everything the can to see this band live as much as possible, i traveled across 3 states to see my 18th show for gods sake! and it was not a dissapointment in the least. they are still going strong, and more creative than ever. i predict that 10 years from now, they'll still be touring, still be putting out albums that are even more progressive than the one before, and they'll take their place in the rock and roll hall of fame.

p.s. this set was still far better than the gorge '06, with the exception of a stunning rendition of opiate.

8/21/98 * 8/5/01 * 8/6/01 * 8/7/01 * 8/8/01 * 11/6/01 * 11/8/01 * 7/20/02 * 10/2/02 * 10/3/02 * 5/2/06 * 8/27/06 * 12/4/07 * 12/5/07 * 12/7/07 * 12/8/07 * 7/19/09 * 6/28/10 * 6/29/10 * 7/9/10 * 7/10/10 * 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
07-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaboy View Post
i think this was actually one of danny's best performances that i've seen, every song had little fills that i've never heard before, not even last year.
I agree Danny was killin it.

Quote:
i admit that since this was the first tour since '98 that they wern't supporting a new album, they might change it up, maybe throw in a cover
EXACTLY. If this tour is about money, and it seems it is, they could have done it in a much less selifsh manner.

Quote:
The only thing that was better about this show than Gorge '06 were the visuals. Gorge '06 was fuckin amazing dude. Dope ass opener (ISIS) amazing outdoor setting and they all were so inspired and out there having a blast. It was clear that same energy was lacking at the SLC show 2 nights ago. I would have been as giddy as a school girl if they would have played the Gorge '06 set ....

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

And I agree totally with you that the December 07 shows were fucking EPIIIIC. Saw em in Boise I think it was 10 days after Portland, and man was that a show. Tool at their peak if you ask me. Amazing shit.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #34

Quote:
i think this was actually one of danny's best performances that i've seen, every song had little fills that i've never heard before, not even last year.
I agree Danny was killin it.

Quote:
i admit that since this was the first tour since '98 that they wern't supporting a new album, they might change it up, maybe throw in a cover
EXACTLY. If this tour is about money, and it seems it is, they could have done it in a much less selifsh manner.

Quote:
The only thing that was better about this show than Gorge '06 were the visuals. Gorge '06 was fuckin amazing dude. Dope ass opener (ISIS) amazing outdoor setting and they all were so inspired and out there having a blast. It was clear that same energy was lacking at the SLC show 2 nights ago. I would have been as giddy as a school girl if they would have played the Gorge '06 set ....

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

And I agree totally with you that the December 07 shows were fucking EPIIIIC. Saw em in Boise I think it was 10 days after Portland, and man was that a show. Tool at their peak if you ask me. Amazing shit.
OFFLINE |  
frosty nugs
07-21-2009, 04:31 PM

I was watching a bootleg of rosetta stoned from this show on youtube... did he change the lyrics? Sure as hell sounds like it to me.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

I was watching a bootleg of rosetta stoned from this show on youtube... did he change the lyrics? Sure as hell sounds like it to me.
OFFLINE |  
mungbuddy's Avatar mungbuddy
07-22-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminus View Post
I would have been as giddy as a school girl if they would have played the Gorge '06 set ....
me too. that show was really fucking good and very inspiring.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminus View Post
I would have been as giddy as a school girl if they would have played the Gorge '06 set ....
me too. that show was really fucking good and very inspiring.
07-24-2009, 08:01 PM

This was my 7th Tool in show in as many venues over the past 15 years (1st show was at the Salem Armory in 1994). Watching the crew bustle about in lab coats against the white stage to get things ready after the pleasently suprising Tweak Bird set, it felt like preparations for an expeiment or surgical procedure. This was only furthered when Maynard actually asked the crowd to take participate in an experiment, and with the unusual amout of between song sonic tinkerings; this being the case, I'll continue this review applying some scientific method:

Hypothesis: Danny is the greatest drummer on the planet.
Supporting Data: Lateralus drum solo, 46&2, Stinkfist extended bridge, Flood, etc...
Conclusion: Confirmed. Danny killed it from start to finish and was the highlight for me.

About the whole static setlist, my theory is that this is a means to minimize scalpers from making huge profits off of their shows. If Tool played randomized songs from their entire catalog every night, they would have an enormous following of people travelling from show-to-show (see: Deadheads, Phish-heads, Pearl Jamily, etc...): I know this becuase I would be one of them. More people means more demand for a limited number of seats so unless they would play even larger venues, charge even more for tickets (already north of $60), or play more shows per stop, then scalpers get the upper hand, and the average fan suffers.

BTW a few missing items on the previous setlists are (-) Ions after Jambi and Eon Blue Apocalypse played before Schism (I was really hoping for The Patient). Flood and Lateralus were perfect, and the visuals were on another level all night.

Although Maynard bailed immediately after Vicarious (no more group hugs I guess?) I really appreciate Danny, Justin, and Adam not only sticking around, but applauding the fans for their support.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 7th Tool in show in as many venues over the past 15 years (1st show was at the Salem Armory in 1994). Watching the crew bustle about in lab coats against the white stage to get things ready after the pleasently suprising Tweak Bird set, it felt like preparations for an expeiment or surgical procedure. This was only furthered when Maynard actually asked the crowd to take participate in an experiment, and with the unusual amout of between song sonic tinkerings; this being the case, I'll continue this review applying some scientific method:

Hypothesis: Danny is the greatest drummer on the planet.
Supporting Data: Lateralus drum solo, 46&2, Stinkfist extended bridge, Flood, etc...
Conclusion: Confirmed. Danny killed it from start to finish and was the highlight for me.

About the whole static setlist, my theory is that this is a means to minimize scalpers from making huge profits off of their shows. If Tool played randomized songs from their entire catalog every night, they would have an enormous following of people travelling from show-to-show (see: Deadheads, Phish-heads, Pearl Jamily, etc...): I know this becuase I would be one of them. More people means more demand for a limited number of seats so unless they would play even larger venues, charge even more for tickets (already north of $60), or play more shows per stop, then scalpers get the upper hand, and the average fan suffers.

BTW a few missing items on the previous setlists are (-) Ions after Jambi and Eon Blue Apocalypse played before Schism (I was really hoping for The Patient). Flood and Lateralus were perfect, and the visuals were on another level all night.

Although Maynard bailed immediately after Vicarious (no more group hugs I guess?) I really appreciate Danny, Justin, and Adam not only sticking around, but applauding the fans for their support.
OFFLINE |  
ChaseNine's Avatar ChaseNine
07-28-2009, 10:13 AM

I just have to state my opinion.

I am always on over at nin.com posting opinions, etc. and the very next day I saw this show in SLC I posted on nin.com, and I'm very happy to see that everybody seems to agree with me.

I have to state something. For anybody who hasn't seen a Tool show before (Intolerable, I read your post and I'm referring to you), this show was nonetheless epic. However, for me and others who saw Tool in 2007 here in Salt Lake, this year's show was just a total copycat fuckup. I am very disappointed that I paid 60 bucks to see the exact same show that I was fortunate enough to be a part of already.

And yet, at the same time, I am also very happy I was able to attend this years show and see my second favorite band play live again. This was my 2nd Tool show and I must say they're shows are impressive. Comparing my other favorite bands/concerts, there is only one that I think tops Tool in a live performance. So I am not here to rant and rave about how terrible Tool was this year. Yeah, Justin was drunk, yeah Maynard stands in the back corner where there is no stage light to show him at all and he wasn't very lively. Yeah the same setlist. But you know, for a repeat of something I've already seen, it was still an epic and amazing concert.

And anybody who hasn't seen them yet is missing out.

But still. I don't want to see the exact same shit. I want to see older songs, differentiation in the amazing concourse that is Tool. I am a diehard fan, and I will always love the songs that I think are long past dead as far as being played live.

C9
Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I just have to state my opinion.

I am always on over at nin.com posting opinions, etc. and the very next day I saw this show in SLC I posted on nin.com, and I'm very happy to see that everybody seems to agree with me.

I have to state something. For anybody who hasn't seen a Tool show before (Intolerable, I read your post and I'm referring to you), this show was nonetheless epic. However, for me and others who saw Tool in 2007 here in Salt Lake, this year's show was just a total copycat fuckup. I am very disappointed that I paid 60 bucks to see the exact same show that I was fortunate enough to be a part of already.

And yet, at the same time, I am also very happy I was able to attend this years show and see my second favorite band play live again. This was my 2nd Tool show and I must say they're shows are impressive. Comparing my other favorite bands/concerts, there is only one that I think tops Tool in a live performance. So I am not here to rant and rave about how terrible Tool was this year. Yeah, Justin was drunk, yeah Maynard stands in the back corner where there is no stage light to show him at all and he wasn't very lively. Yeah the same setlist. But you know, for a repeat of something I've already seen, it was still an epic and amazing concert.

And anybody who hasn't seen them yet is missing out.

But still. I don't want to see the exact same shit. I want to see older songs, differentiation in the amazing concourse that is Tool. I am a diehard fan, and I will always love the songs that I think are long past dead as far as being played live.

C9
07-29-2009, 09:49 AM

3rd show in Salt Lake City 4th show all together 1st at Energy Solutions Arena. For those who aren't familiar w/ our bldgs The ESA is our biggest indoor arena where our Jazz basketball team plays. It goes deep in the ground and stacks patrons up so the audience is loud as hell but as you've surely read can be a nuisance hearing for concerts. I didn't really notice a difference in sound from when they played in our smaller venue in '06 & '07. I definitely noticed a difference from when they played outdoors at Mile High Fest the day before which should be obvious yes? If you read my '06 review I suggest TOOL play at ESA so more of us can attend. I am glad they did because it was glorious. It was a lot easier getting inside this time since they have multiple entrances although they had no reentry so I had to stick my posters in a cup holder.
Tweak Bird was a surprise opener. TB has Geddy Lee vocals and a drummer that smashed the shit out of his drums. I bot their CD but was disappointed their shirts were same price as TOOLs. I would've bot but $40 for a band no one has heard of c'mon.
I told my brother that TOOL played a short set in Denver the night before but tonight's would no doubt be longer...oh well. I am just so thrilled to see them live. I wasn't bothered that it was short. Yes I would love more but I'll take whatever I can get. I do so much missionary work trying to get new recruits to come to their shows I might as well put together some tracts to hand out like folks at Temple Square. Despite my efforts only one newcomer came. She said after that she expected more after all she's heard but was overall pleased. A few years back her brother's friend was dying from a blood disease (young guy whose own twin bro died of same disease few years before) and the last thing he wanted to do before he died was to see TOOL once more with all his friends. They used to follow TOOL around for their west coast shows and this time caught em in Vegas 2007. Supposedly her brother cont TOOLs people to tell them and they got em great tickets. He died 2 weeks later. His dying wish was to see TOOL once more! That's how important these guys are and that's how special their shows are. Maybe she was semi-bummed after a story like that but I was giddy as fuck.
I searched internet for a specific section and got best I could. I saw em in fest setting which was amazing but I like having a seat to rest, bathrooms and drinks nearby, no one hitting me in face, and a nice exit after. I have a friend who wouldnt go to this show because the GA floor seats sold out 1st day and as he put it "I am not sitting at a god damn TOOL show this isn't some KISS concert." Hmmm kind of a good point I suppose but his loss nevertheless. 2nd section from stage and one of the lower rows up I forget #. 10k Days tours I went for closet to stage higher up but since it's such a visual feast sitting a bit back from stage but making sure to get lower to floor is prime IMO. The whole show was a mind fuck I was so alive!
Mr MJK has a clip on youtube speaking about why they don't like filming their concerts because the energy at a live show cannot be duplicated. Tis true although I don't think it would keep kids from going but actually motivate them to go. Plus it would give us who have seen em a nice way to reflect and relive the experience. Maynard spoke more to us this night than his last two shows combined. He greeted us with a "good evening Salt Fucken Lake!" He did ask us to do the open palm to back of arena and calmly say "welcome home." Maybe he was screwing w/ us but I took it serious. Later before Lateralus he spoke of being in the moment & something about not worrying about future or dwelling on past (?) but knowing we were alive right now in 2009 here together and to enjoy it. Enjoy it I did.
No encore but JC AJ & DC hugged and came to stage front to suck it in. We sent them a wave of energy and they basked in it. I get chills reliving it in my mind. Such magnificent artists. It would be my dying wish as well.

Last edited by drawesome; 07-29-2009 at 09:59 AM..
Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

3rd show in Salt Lake City 4th show all together 1st at Energy Solutions Arena. For those who aren't familiar w/ our bldgs The ESA is our biggest indoor arena where our Jazz basketball team plays. It goes deep in the ground and stacks patrons up so the audience is loud as hell but as you've surely read can be a nuisance hearing for concerts. I didn't really notice a difference in sound from when they played in our smaller venue in '06 & '07. I definitely noticed a difference from when they played outdoors at Mile High Fest the day before which should be obvious yes? If you read my '06 review I suggest TOOL play at ESA so more of us can attend. I am glad they did because it was glorious. It was a lot easier getting inside this time since they have multiple entrances although they had no reentry so I had to stick my posters in a cup holder.
Tweak Bird was a surprise opener. TB has Geddy Lee vocals and a drummer that smashed the shit out of his drums. I bot their CD but was disappointed their shirts were same price as TOOLs. I would've bot but $40 for a band no one has heard of c'mon.
I told my brother that TOOL played a short set in Denver the night before but tonight's would no doubt be longer...oh well. I am just so thrilled to see them live. I wasn't bothered that it was short. Yes I would love more but I'll take whatever I can get. I do so much missionary work trying to get new recruits to come to their shows I might as well put together some tracts to hand out like folks at Temple Square. Despite my efforts only one newcomer came. She said after that she expected more after all she's heard but was overall pleased. A few years back her brother's friend was dying from a blood disease (young guy whose own twin bro died of same disease few years before) and the last thing he wanted to do before he died was to see TOOL once more with all his friends. They used to follow TOOL around for their west coast shows and this time caught em in Vegas 2007. Supposedly her brother cont TOOLs people to tell them and they got em great tickets. He died 2 weeks later. His dying wish was to see TOOL once more! That's how important these guys are and that's how special their shows are. Maybe she was semi-bummed after a story like that but I was giddy as fuck.
I searched internet for a specific section and got best I could. I saw em in fest setting which was amazing but I like having a seat to rest, bathrooms and drinks nearby, no one hitting me in face, and a nice exit after. I have a friend who wouldnt go to this show because the GA floor seats sold out 1st day and as he put it "I am not sitting at a god damn TOOL show this isn't some KISS concert." Hmmm kind of a good point I suppose but his loss nevertheless. 2nd section from stage and one of the lower rows up I forget #. 10k Days tours I went for closet to stage higher up but since it's such a visual feast sitting a bit back from stage but making sure to get lower to floor is prime IMO. The whole show was a mind fuck I was so alive!
Mr MJK has a clip on youtube speaking about why they don't like filming their concerts because the energy at a live show cannot be duplicated. Tis true although I don't think it would keep kids from going but actually motivate them to go. Plus it would give us who have seen em a nice way to reflect and relive the experience. Maynard spoke more to us this night than his last two shows combined. He greeted us with a "good evening Salt Fucken Lake!" He did ask us to do the open palm to back of arena and calmly say "welcome home." Maybe he was screwing w/ us but I took it serious. Later before Lateralus he spoke of being in the moment & something about not worrying about future or dwelling on past (?) but knowing we were alive right now in 2009 here together and to enjoy it. Enjoy it I did.
No encore but JC AJ & DC hugged and came to stage front to suck it in. We sent them a wave of energy and they basked in it. I get chills reliving it in my mind. Such magnificent artists. It would be my dying wish as well.

Last edited by drawesome; 07-29-2009 at 09:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
-Subwise-
07-29-2009, 03:18 PM

8th time. Not the best show out of the bunch. I blame the acoustics of Energy Solutions. Horrible venue for this time of show. Set list was short. Maynard seemed to be sick, he was constantly running off the set. The house mix seemed to have trouble with the bands sound levels. But Awesome effects all around especially the Sound timing w/ the visuals and lasers.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #40

8th time. Not the best show out of the bunch. I blame the acoustics of Energy Solutions. Horrible venue for this time of show. Set list was short. Maynard seemed to be sick, he was constantly running off the set. The house mix seemed to have trouble with the bands sound levels. But Awesome effects all around especially the Sound timing w/ the visuals and lasers.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply