opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Visualizations and Images While Listening

Tool's music inspires my imagination in a lot of ways. Their music conjures up different images, depending on the feel of the song. And I'm not really talking about vocals, though they have their place too.

One specific example is during Lateralus. The opening guitar part is one of my favorite things that Adam has written, and the way the music grows and progresses throughout the song is reminiscent of, besides a spiral, a journey. In particular, around the 4:55 mark, the opening part comes back again, but it always seems to stop just short of finishing. This is when Maynard is singing about the desire to feel connected, etc. And finally there's this climax and the music reaches a peak (right before the "spiral of our divinity."). During this entire part, I imagine a swimmer reaching toward the surface, and then finally breaking through. I then read that apparently some artwork for a version of the album features a man standing in water. And then, of course, it all goes to chaos after that. I read that Adam tends to visualize images in his music, and it made a lot of sense to me. I think Tool's music really is like art. I find something new to appreciate about it every time I listen. It engages my analytical senses as well as my emotions, and I enjoy the balance. I've never before heard four musicians who complement each other so well.

Musically, Lateralus is such a fascinating song. It's the closest thing to classical music I've heard among modern rock.

Are there any other images that Tool's songs conjure for you? Again, this doesn't necessarily mean the lyrics, but instead the overall composition of the music.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Gandhi
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 472
Re: Visualizations and Images While Listening

10,000 days conjures up the image of a printing press for me.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
The opening guitar part is one of my favorite things that Adam has written,
Justin actually wrote this song. It's original name was 987 because the music, like a downward spiral, goes from a bar of 9 to a bar of 8 to a bar of 7, then repeats.

That's not to say that Adam didn't write the opening guitar to which you refer, though. Even though this is Justin's concept, there would have been a lot of collaboration to perfect the song. So I'm not nitpicking or saying you're wrong, just wasn't sure if you realized that Justin is the dominant composer of this particular piece.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
On Probation

Bincount™: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
Tool's music inspires my imagination in a lot of ways. Their music conjures up different images, depending on the feel of the song. And I'm not really talking about vocals, though they have their place too.

One specific example is during Lateralus. The opening guitar part is one of my favorite things that Adam has written, and the way the music grows and progresses throughout the song is reminiscent of, besides a spiral, a journey. In particular, around the 4:55 mark, the opening part comes back again, but it always seems to stop just short of finishing. This is when Maynard is singing about the desire to feel connected, etc. And finally there's this climax and the music reaches a peak (right before the "spiral of our divinity."). During this entire part, I imagine a swimmer reaching toward the surface, and then finally breaking through. I then read that apparently some artwork for a version of the album features a man standing in water. And then, of course, it all goes to chaos after that. I read that Adam tends to visualize images in his music, and it made a lot of sense to me. I think Tool's music really is like art. I find something new to appreciate about it every time I listen. It engages my analytical senses as well as my emotions, and I enjoy the balance. I've never before heard four musicians who complement each other so well.

Musically, Lateralus is such a fascinating song. It's the closest thing to classical music I've heard among modern rock.

Are there any other images that Tool's songs conjure for you? Again, this doesn't necessarily mean the lyrics, but instead the overall composition of the music.
I like what you wrote dude, nd ya the music as a whole also conjures up many images for me.

like for example, when i'm meditating, and listening to the patient.

Right around the part after where Maynard says "giving blood, keeping faith..", and the guitars just kick ass..

Well right around then, I usually picture my whole body turning into light, and I just kinda see like exotic patterns of light, with my inner vision...

haha, it could also be the fact, that I be tokin sum good ganja..
Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel on the Sideline View Post
Justin actually wrote this song. It's original name was 987 because the music, like a downward spiral, goes from a bar of 9 to a bar of 8 to a bar of 7, then repeats.

That's not to say that Adam didn't write the opening guitar to which you refer, though. Even though this is Justin's concept, there would have been a lot of collaboration to perfect the song. So I'm not nitpicking or saying you're wrong, just wasn't sure if you realized that Justin is the dominant composer of this particular piece.
Yeah, I read on another thread that the opening clean riff is actually from a Rush song... or something.

And yes, I was aware of the song being Justin's idea. Another reason he's one of my favorite musicians, and an inspiration for me learning bass.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Gandhi
Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

I read about Justin having synesthesia, which is a crosswiring of senses. But yeah, lateralus is full of these tans and yellows and reds to me. This album is the most colorful and its full of weird textures and its animated almost, like there's a sense of motion I don't really hear in 10,000 days. But yeah I enjoyed reading your thread man.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

The begining of the song always makes me think of what I imagine the "big bang" to be...it's so powerful and is one of the best things I've ever heard on a record or live for that matter.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeless·satellite View Post
I read about Justin having synesthesia, which is a crosswiring of senses. But yeah, lateralus is full of these tans and yellows and reds to me. This album is the most colorful and its full of weird textures and its animated almost, like there's a sense of motion I don't really hear in 10,000 days. But yeah I enjoyed reading your thread man.
Yes! I actually made a document where I connected all of TOOL's albums and songs to a specific color I imagined when listening/thinking about it!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: