Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
One Dark Flame's Avatar One Dark Flame
01-09-2008, 12:52 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that sounds silly as hell but think about it, as long as each member can record their part and as long as somebody has software that will allow us to combine our instruments this is possible.

I know yer all thinking I should just go and start a real band with people where I live, however I have a bit of a Social Anxiety Disorder and I don't really want to meet people right now.

So bass, drumms and lead guitar are the available spots. And if anyone has any type of music maker that would allow us to mesh what we record together that's great.....if not, once we kinda record each insturment and seem like we can make this work, I'll go buy that software.

Once the openings are filled we can open a myspace band page.

PM me if interested.

Dustin-
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
Old 01-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362
Who wants to join an online band?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that sounds silly as hell but think about it, as long as each member can record their part and as long as somebody has software that will allow us to combine our instruments this is possible.

I know yer all thinking I should just go and start a real band with people where I live, however I have a bit of a Social Anxiety Disorder and I don't really want to meet people right now.

So bass, drumms and lead guitar are the available spots. And if anyone has any type of music maker that would allow us to mesh what we record together that's great.....if not, once we kinda record each insturment and seem like we can make this work, I'll go buy that software.

Once the openings are filled we can open a myspace band page.

PM me if interested.

Dustin-
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Rotating_Energy_Field's Avatar Rotating_Energy_Field
01-09-2008, 06:39 AM

I've experimented with this kind of format before, and it's a lot more difficult than you might think. It worked out for my project because there's only two of us, and we're able to get together every now and again to make music as team as well as exchanging our recorded parts over the net.

In theory, you're right in believing that it will work, but it has to be well planned out in order for it to come together. Here's a few tips:

- Vet your band mates to see if they're right for what you have in mind for your project
- Make sure that they ALL have sufficient equipment to record their parts and put them all together, don't just choose one person to multitrack the songs, it's best to let everyone have a go and then democratically choose the best mix once they're all done
- Use an instant messaging program to discuss ideas as a group and to also figure out the arrangements of each song, leaving these things to chance will just end up getting everyone in a mess
- Make sure that each musician records his/her parts for each song to a strictly enforced tempo using a metronome: failure to do so will make it incredibly difficult to multitrack when the time comes, and there's nothing more annoying than trying to piece together audio files that don't sync up
- Finally, don't expect miracles: treat your project as an interesting social and musical experiment rather than a full-on 'band', that way you'll have fun and discover more than you would by simply meeting with people in a practice room

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore help.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: Who wants to join an online band?

I've experimented with this kind of format before, and it's a lot more difficult than you might think. It worked out for my project because there's only two of us, and we're able to get together every now and again to make music as team as well as exchanging our recorded parts over the net.

In theory, you're right in believing that it will work, but it has to be well planned out in order for it to come together. Here's a few tips:

- Vet your band mates to see if they're right for what you have in mind for your project
- Make sure that they ALL have sufficient equipment to record their parts and put them all together, don't just choose one person to multitrack the songs, it's best to let everyone have a go and then democratically choose the best mix once they're all done
- Use an instant messaging program to discuss ideas as a group and to also figure out the arrangements of each song, leaving these things to chance will just end up getting everyone in a mess
- Make sure that each musician records his/her parts for each song to a strictly enforced tempo using a metronome: failure to do so will make it incredibly difficult to multitrack when the time comes, and there's nothing more annoying than trying to piece together audio files that don't sync up
- Finally, don't expect miracles: treat your project as an interesting social and musical experiment rather than a full-on 'band', that way you'll have fun and discover more than you would by simply meeting with people in a practice room

And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
01-10-2008, 10:56 PM

The Fecal Brothers and The David Boons are two brilliant examples of online bands done right.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

The Fecal Brothers and The David Boons are two brilliant examples of online bands done right.
01-10-2008, 11:00 PM

i can sing. let me know if oyu need some vocals.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

i can sing. let me know if oyu need some vocals.
joblobob's Avatar joblobob
01-12-2008, 08:35 AM

look at my blog in my signature, I have various videos of me playing, if you beleve I could do the thing tell me!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

look at my blog in my signature, I have various videos of me playing, if you beleve I could do the thing tell me!
Nine
01-12-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotating_Energy_Field View Post

probly the best info i've heard on the matter insofar, i've been in a few online project and its true about everyone having their own production capabilities, theres nothing like having someone say they want to do an online band thing then if your sy a vocalist they send you a single mixed down mp3 and tell you to sing over it and you stuck sitting there wondering, how the hell am i going to mix this already mixed track to suit my own capabilities, not saying change it but every person is different and a band has to work around all of its members in some way to get quality sound out of it. hit me back i sent you a pm
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotating_Energy_Field View Post

probly the best info i've heard on the matter insofar, i've been in a few online project and its true about everyone having their own production capabilities, theres nothing like having someone say they want to do an online band thing then if your sy a vocalist they send you a single mixed down mp3 and tell you to sing over it and you stuck sitting there wondering, how the hell am i going to mix this already mixed track to suit my own capabilities, not saying change it but every person is different and a band has to work around all of its members in some way to get quality sound out of it. hit me back i sent you a pm
/Parallelus/Reflectionis/'s Avatar /Parallelus/Reflectionis/
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Really interested

I play guitar, not very experienced but I have a great ear. I like ambiant and textured stuff, as opposed to empty but technical, if you see what I mean.

I also am experiementing on mixing programs, and will probably go for Fruity loops.
I use sound forge for recording, which works great. I will only need a better sound card, which i will get soon.

What do you think ?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 34

Really interested

I play guitar, not very experienced but I have a great ear. I like ambiant and textured stuff, as opposed to empty but technical, if you see what I mean.

I also am experiementing on mixing programs, and will probably go for Fruity loops.
I use sound forge for recording, which works great. I will only need a better sound card, which i will get soon.

What do you think ?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply