Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 06. Lipan Conjuring
User Name
Password
View Poll Results: 10 k Segues
I love them 54 46.15%
I don´t care 49 41.88%
Ruin the Album 8 6.84%
are the worst pieces of sh#? ever 6 5.13%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

macfreak's Avatar macfreak
01-08-2007, 02:40 AM

Segues have always been a part of Tool´s albums and i love them on Aenima and on Lateralus (eon blue apocalypse best tool song lol) but analyzing this album there are many great songs but what kills it for me are the segues..sure some people say that there are fewer minutes dedicated to segues on this album than in Lateralus and that is true but lateralus segues eemed to have a point while this one´s dont..and they kill the flow and feeling of the album..for me, peace
Old 01-08-2007, 02:40 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16
Tool segues on this album...

Segues have always been a part of Tool´s albums and i love them on Aenima and on Lateralus (eon blue apocalypse best tool song lol) but analyzing this album there are many great songs but what kills it for me are the segues..sure some people say that there are fewer minutes dedicated to segues on this album than in Lateralus and that is true but lateralus segues eemed to have a point while this one´s dont..and they kill the flow and feeling of the album..for me, peace
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
orcaloverbri9
01-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Tool should learn to do a real good closer to their albums, all of them are crappy filling noise or an overrated song.
This is such an ignorant and absurd statement that I don't even know where to begin. It's like saying that drums have to be the base of a song, guitars should be the clearest thing, etc. It's bullshit. The band does what they want to do. If they wanted an amazing closing song they'd make one (and did once: Third Eye). Tool has their own take on things, and it's going to be different from yours. Disgustipated has a real meaning (except the end), Third Eye has an unbelievably deep meaning, Faaip de Oiad ties into the album, and Viginti Tres probably isn't there for fun (though The Gaping Lotus Experience is). Tool's final message has ALWAYS been to think for yourself. Would you really rather have a stereotypical "look at me I'm passionate" song at the end of an album than a truly meaningful soundscape? If so, perhaps Tool isn't the band for you.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Tool segues on this album...

Quote:
Tool should learn to do a real good closer to their albums, all of them are crappy filling noise or an overrated song.
This is such an ignorant and absurd statement that I don't even know where to begin. It's like saying that drums have to be the base of a song, guitars should be the clearest thing, etc. It's bullshit. The band does what they want to do. If they wanted an amazing closing song they'd make one (and did once: Third Eye). Tool has their own take on things, and it's going to be different from yours. Disgustipated has a real meaning (except the end), Third Eye has an unbelievably deep meaning, Faaip de Oiad ties into the album, and Viginti Tres probably isn't there for fun (though The Gaping Lotus Experience is). Tool's final message has ALWAYS been to think for yourself. Would you really rather have a stereotypical "look at me I'm passionate" song at the end of an album than a truly meaningful soundscape? If so, perhaps Tool isn't the band for you.
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
01-12-2007, 11:09 AM

i always skip them.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

i always skip them.
lateralus15
01-12-2007, 11:29 AM

At first I was kind of upset with the segues because that left only eight real songs on this album. And when I just wanna rock out to tool I usually just skip them. But the album was meant to be taken as a whole, essentially one full track making the segues an integral part.

...I still rarely listen to them though
Old 01-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

At first I was kind of upset with the segues because that left only eight real songs on this album. And when I just wanna rock out to tool I usually just skip them. But the album was meant to be taken as a whole, essentially one full track making the segues an integral part.

...I still rarely listen to them though
base metal's Avatar base metal
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM

I didn't mind the segues on Aenima and the segues on Lateralus seemed to fit into the flow of the album really well. I like Viginti Tres, but I skip Lipan Conjuring and Lost Keys now. I don't see the point in Lipan Conjuring and Lost Keys just drags on and on, it's boring as hell, IMO. If I still did acid I would probably listen to Lipan Conjuring and Lost Keys every time, but right now I personally think the tracks are taking up space that could filled with something better.

Last edited by base metal; 01-12-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

I didn't mind the segues on Aenima and the segues on Lateralus seemed to fit into the flow of the album really well. I like Viginti Tres, but I skip Lipan Conjuring and Lost Keys now. I don't see the point in Lipan Conjuring and Lost Keys just drags on and on, it's boring as hell, IMO. If I still did acid I would probably listen to Lipan Conjuring and Lost Keys every time, but right now I personally think the tracks are taking up space that could filled with something better.

Last edited by base metal; 01-12-2007 at 11:40 AM..
maggie72's Avatar maggie72
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. nikki jensen est 1986 View Post
i always skip them.
The first time I listened to the CD I listened to the whole thing, but now I skip them too.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. nikki jensen est 1986 View Post
i always skip them.
The first time I listened to the CD I listened to the whole thing, but now I skip them too.
Ænimic4six1's Avatar Ænimic4six1
01-18-2007, 07:27 AM

Lipan is a nice segue..its catchy...well,at least to me... but Lost Keys gets irritating sometimes..
Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Lipan is a nice segue..its catchy...well,at least to me... but Lost Keys gets irritating sometimes..
Chronicle0's Avatar Chronicle0
01-18-2007, 11:00 AM

I like Lost keys- it's a get way to enter Rosetta stoned.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

I like Lost keys- it's a get way to enter Rosetta stoned.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
01-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Lost keys is a great intro ...
When you're tripping lol
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Lost keys is a great intro ...
When you're tripping lol
01-20-2007, 09:37 AM

viginti tres can't be considered a segue, cuz it doesn't go into anything. Lipan Conjuring and lost keys are the only filler on this album. Lost Keys is a good intro for Rosetta Stoned and i like listening to the voices, and Lipan Conjuring is just funny
Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
Banned.

Location: Anywhere with the opportunity of being wooftacular!
Bincount™: 332

viginti tres can't be considered a segue, cuz it doesn't go into anything. Lipan Conjuring and lost keys are the only filler on this album. Lost Keys is a good intro for Rosetta Stoned and i like listening to the voices, and Lipan Conjuring is just funny
savoie2006
01-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Depending on my mood Ill listen to them.On Aenema and Lateralus I didnt really listen to them much,but I listen to all of 10,000 Days for whatever reason.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Depending on my mood Ill listen to them.On Aenema and Lateralus I didnt really listen to them much,but I listen to all of 10,000 Days for whatever reason.
Insanekat's Avatar Insanekat
01-20-2007, 11:18 AM

The segues on Aenima are alright, I like the ones on Lateralus.

For 10,000 Days I tend to generally skip them unless I'm listening to the album as a whole. Lipan Conjuring is alright, as if Viginti Tres, I really love Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann) though, great segue and goes awesomely into Rosetta Stoned.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

The segues on Aenima are alright, I like the ones on Lateralus.

For 10,000 Days I tend to generally skip them unless I'm listening to the album as a whole. Lipan Conjuring is alright, as if Viginti Tres, I really love Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann) though, great segue and goes awesomely into Rosetta Stoned.
01-20-2007, 09:30 PM

LIPAN CONJURING IS NOT A SEGUE!!!!!! It is a very very very very very very important part of the album, the most beautiful part, and the center of what they are trying to say!
I lay my cares among the lilies. The act of love is the only idea in this world that is self sufficient. It needs nothing to sustain itself, yet it can give of itself without fail and without running empty. If only we could perpetually embrace this act of love and save each other.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

LIPAN CONJURING IS NOT A SEGUE!!!!!! It is a very very very very very very important part of the album, the most beautiful part, and the center of what they are trying to say!
I lay my cares among the lilies. The act of love is the only idea in this world that is self sufficient. It needs nothing to sustain itself, yet it can give of itself without fail and without running empty. If only we could perpetually embrace this act of love and save each other.
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
01-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Lipan is the only one I care to hear
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

Lipan is the only one I care to hear
01-26-2007, 05:04 PM

I didn't care much for Aenima's segues, loved Lateralus segues, and can't stand the ones on 10,000 days.

I think the main question is: Why are there two segues back to back on this album? Do we really need Lipan Conjuring to lead into Lost Keys to lead into Rosetta Stoned? It's just redundant.

10k Days desperatley needs a segue between 10,000 Days and The Pot...doesn't Lipan Conjuring make much more sense there? This track seems either completely out of place or completely unnessecary to me.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

I didn't care much for Aenima's segues, loved Lateralus segues, and can't stand the ones on 10,000 days.

I think the main question is: Why are there two segues back to back on this album? Do we really need Lipan Conjuring to lead into Lost Keys to lead into Rosetta Stoned? It's just redundant.

10k Days desperatley needs a segue between 10,000 Days and The Pot...doesn't Lipan Conjuring make much more sense there? This track seems either completely out of place or completely unnessecary to me.
tomisatool's Avatar tomisatool
02-02-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænimic4six1 View Post
I can't listen to Rosetta without Lost Keys....it's like D/R/T. One isn't the same without the other.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænimic4six1 View Post
I can't listen to Rosetta without Lost Keys....it's like D/R/T. One isn't the same without the other.
02-03-2007, 11:37 PM

I think that Rosetta Stoned should have been the first track and Lost Keys should have been a hidden track before it. Where you would have to start the album and then rewind through it. Like 311 did on their self titled album.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17

I think that Rosetta Stoned should have been the first track and Lost Keys should have been a hidden track before it. Where you would have to start the album and then rewind through it. Like 311 did on their self titled album.
02-09-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagimatt View Post
thats actually a fucking awesome idea....

too bad ur not a producer
Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagimatt View Post
thats actually a fucking awesome idea....

too bad ur not a producer
02-09-2007, 10:51 PM

I think Ænima had good segues. I think Useful Idiot was a great bridge between H and Forty Six and 2. Intermission tied in obviously with Jimmy. Cesaro was kinda eh. (-) Ions was pretty cool sounding.

Eon Blue Apocalypse is a great piece, and I think Mantra sounded awesome right before Schism.

Lipan was cool a few times, but unless I was listening to the album from front to back I wouldn't listen to it. Lost Keys is a little drawn out, but works well leading into Rosetta.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think Ænima had good segues. I think Useful Idiot was a great bridge between H and Forty Six and 2. Intermission tied in obviously with Jimmy. Cesaro was kinda eh. (-) Ions was pretty cool sounding.

Eon Blue Apocalypse is a great piece, and I think Mantra sounded awesome right before Schism.

Lipan was cool a few times, but unless I was listening to the album from front to back I wouldn't listen to it. Lost Keys is a little drawn out, but works well leading into Rosetta.
Cheesegreater
02-12-2007, 02:59 PM

I have to say that I wasn't wild about Lost Keys. That changed when I saw it in concert. LK really lets people relax and wind down from all the high energy before. I found the bass reverb almost annoying when listening to it on CD, but that same reverb really sedated me at the concert in a good way. It's cool to detect those slight fluctuations in the sound and the guitar compliments it very well. Just my opinion.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

I have to say that I wasn't wild about Lost Keys. That changed when I saw it in concert. LK really lets people relax and wind down from all the high energy before. I found the bass reverb almost annoying when listening to it on CD, but that same reverb really sedated me at the concert in a good way. It's cool to detect those slight fluctuations in the sound and the guitar compliments it very well. Just my opinion.
lagimatt's Avatar lagimatt
02-13-2007, 01:25 AM

maybe someones (producers) will see my post and put something into effect. maybe turn it into another 23/who shot kennedy/faked moon landing/where is jimmy hoffa enigma...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #21

Bincount™: 17

maybe someones (producers) will see my post and put something into effect. maybe turn it into another 23/who shot kennedy/faked moon landing/where is jimmy hoffa enigma...
02-13-2007, 10:24 PM

i dont really see segues as segues, when i listen to tool, for me, its one piece. the whole album, whichever one, i listen too as a whole.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

i dont really see segues as segues, when i listen to tool, for me, its one piece. the whole album, whichever one, i listen too as a whole.
02-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post
I felt the same way seeing LK live.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post
I felt the same way seeing LK live.
the midas touch
02-14-2007, 01:26 PM

I like Lost Keys (only because I know that Rosetta Stoned is coming up).

I skip Lipan Conjuring.
I skip Viginti Tres.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 372

I like Lost Keys (only because I know that Rosetta Stoned is coming up).

I skip Lipan Conjuring.
I skip Viginti Tres.
02-15-2007, 12:45 PM

I usually listen to the whole album from start to finish except I finish with Right in 2.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

I usually listen to the whole album from start to finish except I finish with Right in 2.
02-22-2007, 10:40 PM

They're cool and do a good job, but if I could choose between them and more "songs" then I'd definitely ask for more songs.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #26
On Probation

Bincount™: 8

They're cool and do a good job, but if I could choose between them and more "songs" then I'd definitely ask for more songs.
Nietzsche's Dead's Avatar Nietzsche's Dead
03-15-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
10,000 Days has only 1 segue (Lipan Conjuring)

For the rest the 10,000 Days intro's and such are better then those on Lateralus and Ænima.
Keep in mind, I only listened Viginti Tres twice not worth the trouble, just as Faaip de Oiad, Disgustipated and Gaping Lotus Experience.

You thought the Gaping Lotus Exp. was crappy filling noise or an overrated song??

"Saaattaannn, saaattaannnn.... Im gettinggg booorrrreeddd, im gettinngg boorreeddd"

How much more genius can it really get? =)
Old 03-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #27

Quote:
10,000 Days has only 1 segue (Lipan Conjuring)

For the rest the 10,000 Days intro's and such are better then those on Lateralus and Ænima.
Keep in mind, I only listened Viginti Tres twice not worth the trouble, just as Faaip de Oiad, Disgustipated and Gaping Lotus Experience.

You thought the Gaping Lotus Exp. was crappy filling noise or an overrated song??

"Saaattaannn, saaattaannnn.... Im gettinggg booorrrreeddd, im gettinngg boorreeddd"

How much more genius can it really get? =)
Nietzsche's Dead's Avatar Nietzsche's Dead
03-15-2007, 06:42 AM

No, but seriously - the ones on AEnima didn't flow quite as well, but I thought they did their job in 'clicking' your mind over, instead of just continuing to the next track. The (one) 'segue' on 10kdays (what makes it a segue anyway? the fact that it's shorter than the rest of the songs? :P), i.m.o., serves as a nice transition between the first half of the album and the second.. And the ones on Lateralus are just completely necessary, i feel. Lateralus is absolutely a concept album, even without the lyrics, and i think it's at it's best listened to as a whole, more so than the other albums. Interesting enough, despite the few connections between a handful of songs, and this 'secret' that supposedly exists in the artwork, bringing it all together, I thought 10kdays related a lot more to AEnima than to Lateralus in how it's very sectioned, yet cohesive all at once.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #28

No, but seriously - the ones on AEnima didn't flow quite as well, but I thought they did their job in 'clicking' your mind over, instead of just continuing to the next track. The (one) 'segue' on 10kdays (what makes it a segue anyway? the fact that it's shorter than the rest of the songs? :P), i.m.o., serves as a nice transition between the first half of the album and the second.. And the ones on Lateralus are just completely necessary, i feel. Lateralus is absolutely a concept album, even without the lyrics, and i think it's at it's best listened to as a whole, more so than the other albums. Interesting enough, despite the few connections between a handful of songs, and this 'secret' that supposedly exists in the artwork, bringing it all together, I thought 10kdays related a lot more to AEnima than to Lateralus in how it's very sectioned, yet cohesive all at once.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
03-15-2007, 07:34 PM

It's funny:

The first time I listened to the song Aenima (after buying the album when it first came out) I actually thought it was a segue ... the whole breathing/learn to swim part sounded really strange to me ... Now I know what an epic song it is.

TOOL = GOD
Old 03-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

It's funny:

The first time I listened to the song Aenima (after buying the album when it first came out) I actually thought it was a segue ... the whole breathing/learn to swim part sounded really strange to me ... Now I know what an epic song it is.

TOOL = GOD
05-05-2007, 05:51 PM

I find listening to Viginiti Tres more interesting and enjoyable than listening to Third Eye.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #30
Level 3 - Talker

I find listening to Viginiti Tres more interesting and enjoyable than listening to Third Eye.
lossofprana
06-25-2007, 02:16 PM

Has anyone else been to eggs.com for the Tool thing about Virgti Trees and wings and 10,000 days or am I the only stupid enough to believe this shit
Old 06-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Has anyone else been to eggs.com for the Tool thing about Virgti Trees and wings and 10,000 days or am I the only stupid enough to believe this shit
lossofprana
06-25-2007, 02:19 PM

oopps I think that thats to ee for eegs or eeggs.com something like that
Old 06-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

oopps I think that thats to ee for eegs or eeggs.com something like that
Ghostwriter's Avatar Ghostwriter
06-26-2007, 07:06 AM

Segues are what make Tool's albums so great!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 AM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Segues are what make Tool's albums so great!
Ghostwriter's Avatar Ghostwriter
06-27-2007, 08:11 AM

Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Whodini's Avatar Whodini
10-29-2007, 07:13 AM

The seques during the live performance were also very cool. I wish I had them recorded. So trippy
Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 18

The seques during the live performance were also very cool. I wish I had them recorded. So trippy
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
10-29-2007, 12:37 PM

I agree the segues in the Sydney show were beautiful as well. Don't you just love the passionate simplicity of the albums section? So refreshing.

Welcome to tdn by the way - I see this is your first post. Would you like the grand tour?

Last edited by HelenA; 10-29-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Old 10-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #36
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

I agree the segues in the Sydney show were beautiful as well. Don't you just love the passionate simplicity of the albums section? So refreshing.

Welcome to tdn by the way - I see this is your first post. Would you like the grand tour?

Last edited by HelenA; 10-29-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Purity
10-30-2007, 07:02 AM

they are part of the art
Old 10-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

they are part of the art
Gæter's Avatar Gæter
11-09-2007, 06:36 AM

Some of you are too concerned with defining these tracks as segues.

Tracks of this nature are, rather, elements that allow Tool's music to ascend from albums to artworks. This, in a way that is rare among other bands' albums.

You shouldn't force yourself to listen to a piece if it tortures you, listening to only tracks that you like is fine. But to bash the ones that don't fit the "song" definition is ignorant and pointlessly negative. Just know that some people can really feel the album as a whole thanks to these clever and pleasant sounding tracks.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

Some of you are too concerned with defining these tracks as segues.

Tracks of this nature are, rather, elements that allow Tool's music to ascend from albums to artworks. This, in a way that is rare among other bands' albums.

You shouldn't force yourself to listen to a piece if it tortures you, listening to only tracks that you like is fine. But to bash the ones that don't fit the "song" definition is ignorant and pointlessly negative. Just know that some people can really feel the album as a whole thanks to these clever and pleasant sounding tracks.
CCP
06-16-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak View Post
That's totally true, the only thing i would add is that i'm sure tool must be aware how bad it is. It's like handing in an essay and you don't know how it will be recieved, if you'll recieve an A or C or an F, i think they just threw this junk together in the hope of it being well recieved, probably laughing when they werent ridiculed by the world for it. It seems they got an A, but it's subjective and i mark it C-.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #39
CCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak View Post
That's totally true, the only thing i would add is that i'm sure tool must be aware how bad it is. It's like handing in an essay and you don't know how it will be recieved, if you'll recieve an A or C or an F, i think they just threw this junk together in the hope of it being well recieved, probably laughing when they werent ridiculed by the world for it. It seems they got an A, but it's subjective and i mark it C-.
inSin's Avatar inSin
06-18-2009, 09:08 PM

C- for the album or just the segues?

the only one that has a point is lost keys. and i actually enjoy listening to it before Rosettastoned.. intentions sounds way to long and its BORING! (the worst tool song imo) should of just made a cool intro with reversed vocals going into Right in Two.. and having a weird noises as the last track is ok with me....its at the end.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

C- for the album or just the segues?

the only one that has a point is lost keys. and i actually enjoy listening to it before Rosettastoned.. intentions sounds way to long and its BORING! (the worst tool song imo) should of just made a cool intro with reversed vocals going into Right in Two.. and having a weird noises as the last track is ok with me....its at the end.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply