opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/08/18 - Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Concert Hall

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Sober ft. Kirk Hammet
Lateralus
Opiate
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-19-2006, 04:21 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/18 - Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Concert Hall

Setlist:

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty-Six & Two
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Sober - Feat. Kirk Hammet
Lateralus
Opiate
Vicarious
Aenima

These will be my 13th and, 14th Tool shows. Anyway, how to describe it? Seriously most words will quite simply be insufficient, and inadequate. Utterly, insanely, astonishingly bombastic? I saw many people around me who were literally awestruck and speechless. We sat front row, damn near center, and the sound was so fantasically immense the people around us were straight-up shellshocked. It seemed to not really sink in until after 'The Pot' at which point the crowds roar began to actually exceed the volume of the music. "The Pot" was SO fucking fat. They rocked that shit unimaginably hard. Completely eclipsing the album version, my personal fav of the evening.

Some usual maynard banter; "We have a new album, blah-blah-blah, apparently it's huge in Belgium and New Zealand", "we'll be back", "We have a special Guest tonight, he's not ________, and he's not Elvis, Well, maybe he's their bastard son,
Mr. kirk Hammet." Who then proceeded to come out and play guitar on 'Sober'. I've never been partial to Metallica, and for those of you who are I'm sorry to report that kirk damn near butchered the song. His drunken so called "solo" was particularly sloppy and completly extraneous. Only the band coming back through to thrash the rest of the song out extremely hard saved it. Then he totally tripped out and flustered Adam by grabbing him for his "hug" and kissing him on the mouth! Only to return at the end of the show to the stage to perform the "we're not worthy!" bow on his knees before the guys. At least he realizes.

Definately a Nice suprise to get to see Rosetta Stoned, AND Opiate. It's been years since I've seen Opiate live. I sure did miss "The Patient" and have yet to see "right in two" live. perhaps they'll realize that a great number of people are going both nights and decide to change up the setlist for tomorrow night. That would rule SO much. Certainly a contender for best Tool show I've witnessed. I heard no less then five seperate convos on the way out claiming it to be the best show ever. Truly magnificent!

_Tobias
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 67

It was was definitely the greatest show I have ever been to. It rocked so hard, my ears are still ringing, and I was in the balcony, and its the morning after!!!

When he was introducing Kirk, he said its not 'Don ho', who is the guy who sang "Tiny bubbles", pretty much the only song that he is "popular" for, but Hawaii loves the crap out of this guy for some reason. He is like a major celebrity here or something. Which is probably why he said it, because they love Elvis here too. But I agree with you that they should have left Kirk out. He didnt do that bad, but the song didnt sound quite right.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play opiate. I think that was the best song off of the first album, and they totally kicked ass playing it. I also wanted to hear "the patient", my fav. on lateralus, and "right in two" which is one of my favs off the new album. But they rocked the sh1t out of "Jambi" and "Rosetta stoned". Those songs sounded a lot better live. It was awesome. Best show ive ever seen. Oh wait, I already said that. lol.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

Some friends and i made the trip to Hawaii to have a holiday and see Tool and we were not disappointed last night! I have never seen a crowd so amped up before a show either - it was crazy when we walked in! hawaiians know how to enjoy themselves!

Tool show #4 for me and my friend was seeing her #10, we both agreed it was the best show we've seen them do.

The venue was awesome, I can't wait for tonight.

Oh, and a big FUCK YOU to the guy we heard at our accommodation bragging about how he'd bought about 30 tickets to the show with a friend and sold them all for $150

The Pot and Forty Six and Two were probably my favourites of the night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Review of 8/18 show:

OK, this was my first real TOOL show (saw them at Ozzfest in 98), so despite what anyone else thinks about the setlist, it was the first time I’ve heard most of these songs live and I thought it was a great show.

It was in the Blaisdell concert hall, which only holds about 2100 people and seemed like the kind of place you’d go to see a play or hear an orchestra (not that I’ve done either). The first thing I noticed was that the people standing around outside waiting were all drinking beer, which seemed odd since there’s an open container law here. But then I realized that they don’t serve beer inside, because the whole place is carpeted, and everyone in line had to chug their drinks before they went inside.

I was sitting in the 4th row, which was awesome, but it’s such a small place that I think everyone had a great seat. The stage was setup with four large video screens in the background that played clips from the video of the song they were playing (for those that had videos) and otherwise showed stuff you might expect to see on a screensaver. Maynard and Danny were in the back center on raised platforms, and Adam and Justin were on either side up front. Maynard had on jeans, sunglasses, and what looked like an ipod strapped around his left arm. He also occasionally donned a straw cowboy hat.

I’d have to say the highlight of the show was when they played Sober (despite being one of my least favorite TOOL songs), Kirk Hammett joined them on guitar and did a pretty good, long solo.

Other songs that stood out to me as being pretty awesome were Jambi, Lateralus, Opiate, and Vicarious. (I’ve been a TOOL fan since Undertow, so I was hoping to hear some of their older stuff). After Opiate, all 4 of them sat in the middle of the stage and seemed to just soak up the cheers from the crowd for a few minutes, then finished off with Vicarious and Aenema.

I’m going to tonight’s show also, and I’ve got a feeling the setlist will be pretty much the same again. I don’t really care if it is, I’ll just get drunk enough that it’ll sound like a whole new show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Phenomenal show. We were in Row Z, which I thought were going to be bad seats. I'm glad I was wrong. It was pretty educational sitting next to the sound and light board operators, I guess doing that all the time turns one's respect and excitement for Tool inward, as for them it seemed like business-as-usual. It had a different vibe than the open-air Lateralus concert at Andrews in 2001, you could actually see Maynard. The Blaisdell Concert Hall seemed to barely contain the acoustic content of this concert, I felt like I was being inspected with sonar by a giant creature. This concert ripped my 12 year old daughter from the grasp of the lollipop shit they call music and catapulted her into a new realization for the use of sound. Before this concert she was scared of Tool's music, on the 19th of August she kept repeating "I can't believe my first concert was a TOOL concert". A new fan is born.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Night 2 was F**KING AMAZING! This was my first TOOL concert EVER, though I have been a fan for 14 years, I was in awe. Since I had never really heard ANY TOOL live I thought it was all great. Picking favorites though, ÆNIMA was by far the best. I was front row seat 9 with my girlfriend in seat 7. that is right dead center. Had the good luck to catch the third drumstick Danny threw into the crowd. All in all the best damned concert experience of my life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:47 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Setlist still same as the previous shows, pretty short too.

I thought Blair said they were changing it for the Summer/Fall tour.
I just hope theyl play a longer setlist on the European leg then what they played at festivals sofar.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

This from Metallica.com

Kirk with Tool!
8/24/2006
[ back ]

Kirk gives us his thoughts on jamming with Tool.

"Having just had an incredible experience jamming with my friends in Tool, I have this to report - it was one of the most profound jamming experiences I have ever encountered ! We all played a show together in Korea and I was bummed that I was missing the show as I was getting ready for our own set. I knew they were on the same flight as I was to Hawaii so I talked to Adam and told him that I was going to check them out. I gave him my number and we had dinner the next night. He also invited me to come out on stage and play "Sober" with them and I instantly said yes! He mentioned that the band even worked out a new part for me to solo through!

Photo by John Marshall

"The next night I watched the show and when it came time to play the song. I plugged into Adam's spare amp and he gave me the look -it was that musician- to- musician look of let's get fucking serious!! So I turned it on big time!! We played some feedback together which segued into some crazy dissonance thing that only Adam can do. Then we launched into the song. I said to Adam before the show that he could do all the sound coloring and I'll just take the part in the middle. When it came time for me to play I was so locked into the vibe that I started really quietly while building the solo. By the last third of the solo I turned on Adam's delay setting and played some really high notes that felt like the top of my head just shot off! I could feel the energy in the room and felt like everyone was with me (except the one guy who slammed me on the tool website who said I was drunk, out of key, and kissed Adam! Just goes to show that he was probably jealous and harbored some unwanted feelings for Adam himself!). Afterwards I was surprised to here that the guys in the band enjoyed it so much that they had to hug me right there on stage! I left the stage and they proceeded to play the rest of their set. It was incredible and I am the hugest Tool fan. So I had to run out and do the we're not worthy thing, because we are not!!

Photo by John Marshall

"After the second show they had a day off and we all went surfing (except Maynard ). Adam said I was welcome back anytime, and I told him I've been known to follow bands around on the road so don't be surprised if I show up in Bumfuck whatever!! After the show Adam gave me a nice gift for playing with them and that was a first too.

Photo by John Marshall

"On a different note, the shows in Asia were fuckin great!!

"Thanks and Cheers!
KH"
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116

so ... james was reading this site? nice. i know that the guys in king crimson used to follow toolshed's tour reviews back when they toured with tool.

hi, james.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: