opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 13. Ænema
User Name
Password
Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Lament to Gaia

To me this song sums up how I feel about the world lately.

I am becoming increasingly depressed, angry and frustrated at the direction of environmental issues. I subscribe to the Gaia theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis). Check it out if you don't know about it. I find it kinda spiritual, which is funny because i am a very non-religous, science orientated person. It just makes sense in an abstract sort of way.

Our society is steaming headlong into a catastrophe life on this planet has never
before encountered, and we seem oblivious to the fact. How can we feel no guilt by causing a mass extinction of most forms of life on this planet (yes this is currently under way). What right do we have to wipe out most of the species currently on the planet, which have taken millions of years to evolve? If I did believe in god, well I think he'd be pissed for trashin His creation. Seriously, we may be the only life in the fuckin entire universe. What if we were? That makes this planet pretty special. And we just treat it with contempt. Insanely complex Ecosystems which evolved over millions of years - wiped out in an instant.

So yes maybe we do need Mom to come round and 'fix it all soon', to 'flush it all away'. I certainly do want to 'see the ground give way'. Coz i'm starting to think Mom needs to wipe humans from the face of the fucking Earth because we are nothing but a cancerous tumor infecting her. We multiply and grow out of control, blackening and poisoning all the while. Then we spread to different parts and do it again.

Learn to swim fuckers..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217
Re: Lament to Gaia

very poetic - and thanks for all those tool lyrics, i didn't know 'em.

imo, first of all, it would be detrimental to much of the science community to acknowledge the existence of spirit - which is one of the biggest problems in the world today. it exists, and it is apparent - "cogito ergo sum". secondly, we're not oblivious to what's happening now because it's actually quite obvious. ready? stop watching tv, go outside, understand weather patterns for yourself, and think about it. also, where the fuck did all the frogs go? remember that when you were a child, catching 'em left and right? try it. i mean, that's all it took for me. i think bart simpson's mentality describes much of the world's, in that: "aw, recycling's useless, lis. once the sun burns out, this planet is doomed. you're just making sure we spend our last days using inferior products." basically, "not on my watch". it's selfish, but this is a very unique situation - so, what do you expect people to do? well, we'd prolly be better off if not for television spewing consumer media at us and everywhere. buy buy buy - fuck fuck fuck - hate hate hate ...let's not forget the big one: FEAR FEAR FEAR! sure, there has been greed in the past, but (before all of this) most of us only took on what was essential to our own existence - to get by. it puts things into perspective. it brings us away from the mechanical, and back into our biological tendencies. but now? no, we can't feel guilt for "the way that things have come to be". this is not your fault, it's not my fault ...but to let it persist without change would be a major, MAJOR mistake (agreed) - one that punches an amazingly harsh trait to the entire species ... i'd choose "complacent". look, this planet will be fine without us. a few centuries down the road, it'll still be there. it may resmeble mars, sure, but the planet will not be destroyed. we're talking about LIFE, here. fauna et flora, my friends, and everywhere inbetween. so, what's it gonna be?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

My reality is based entirely on science. Observations and evidence. Spirituality can make you feel nice but there is no evidence whatsoever that anything mystical or magical exists. Until then i'll stick with science and the observable laws of the natural universe.

The problem is no species in the history of life on Earth has had the ability to change the planet in the way we are currently doing so. Scientists don't discount the possibility we may cause a runaway heating episode and sterilise the planet, where the oceans boil and we become like Venus. What a tragedy that would be.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow...06/1726869.htm

I really doubt we have the impetus, self control or willpower to make any real changes in the near term. Because we see it as such a slow change (like the slowly boiling frog). We think we can manage it when it becomes a problem. And yes the 'live for today', 'i don't care i'll be dead' or ' someone will figure it out' mantra's are well and truly entrenched in modern society.

The earth provides a very delicate, fine tuned LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM (for all life) that's taken billions of years to evolve, and we (the human species) are systematically pulling it to pieces. So is it too late already? We don't know. Will we as a species survive? We don't know. I do know our apathy, selfishness and greed is astounding,
Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

how does "thought" fit into science again?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

you know, if it really comes down to it, earth is like a person and humans are like a virus.. if you think about it, when humans get a virus, we get a fever to kill the virus..
suppose "global warming" is just the earth getting a fever to kill us all off? honestly.. then theres the whole fact that if the earth evolved humans from single-cell organizms once, i think it could do it again..
Old 01-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
how does "thought" fit into science again?

Not sure what you mean by that, but science is based on thought. It is a collection of theories built up over time, developed by observation and testing.

It is about finding patterns in the nature. Most scientists believe there is an underlying order and symmetry in the universe which has nothing to do with any mystical gods.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

well, i mean the ability of life to function beyond the regular comfort zones. there are the normal chemical reactions in which we must live comfortably, but there is something profoundly different within the ability to process information and to have it then brought into an entirely new and unknown realm.

this is premature, i'm getting well beyond what i know atm... so, i apologize.

but concerning the daunting task of change ...it's never, EVER going to come to us based on fear. "fix it or else!"? no way. we need an incentive to change, we need to understand how satisfying and rejuvenating clean air can feel ("you not only need this, but should want it, too"), we need to understand that there are ways to "use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without" that won't necessarily trump our current ambitions and/or lifestyles... it may actually make everything more affordable and efficient (enough to actually enjoy life, rather than work for it)

...give us an incentive; it'll tip the scale and flow in like the new flavor of the week, i'm sure of it.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 01-17-2007 at 06:02 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: