opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #41
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: 2006/09/03 - Oakland, CA - Oakland Arena

While embarking on my journey of seeing Tool for the third time this year, I was swamped with thoughts of the Wings duo. Would they or wouldn't they?! I, too, read about Justin's interview with the Mercury News and that further tickled my fancy.

We arrived around 6:30, after departing from a boring family barbeque and full of bottled water, we proceeded to stand in line for the unbearable port-a-potty. Then we headed for the GA line. I swear this only happens to me, I was surrounded by fan boy teenagers and their immature female counterparts. These kids go back and forth revealing which song they'd like to hear and one goes "No Quarter would be sick." His buddies remain silent. Oook, thank god for the internet, kiddo, because you'd never know they covered that. Whatever, the point of this paragraph was that I was annoyed before getting into the door. Was this going to be a repeat of the Fresno crowd times 3, on crack?

I had never heard Isis before and can't give a clear or fair opinion on them. I'd rather hear their album. Let's say I wasn't inspired to buy or download it either. I am incredibly lazy, too. If the music fairy put it under my pillow, I'd give it a listen.

Ok, so Tool hits the stage and for practically each song, I yell into my husbands ear what they're gonna play and I am right. I'm of course not thrilled with the first five songs but Tool are solid performers and they were great. I was zoned on Adam's solo in Jambi and it wasn't as impressive as Fresno's performance. It seemed flat. I had a problem with the vocals, low and muffled sounding. I was standing a little in front of the sound/technic booth.

Then comes Rosetta Stoned. Hello friend! I loooove this song and live? ENTRANCED! Infact, I think they could do without Sober and permantely replace it with RS. So setting aside my love of the song, my favorite part: the climax, failed to hit it home for me. See vocal comment. At one point, I notice the two circular light fixtures over the stage lower and stupid me thought it could have been in preparation for the debut of Wings.

A pleasant surprise for Right in Two. I noticed Maynard stop during three verses. Was he trying to gage the crowd's familiarity? Danny's tabla work was amazing, true to album form, obviously. As lame as it seems, I yelled out "DANNY CAREEEEEEEEY!" This man is a living legend. I truly appreciate his work and marvel at how he (and all drummers, really) lay framework for much music and their tempo is key. His work with Tool has inspired my obsession with percussion.

Then came Sober. Ok fine, great job guys. Next? It's so sad that my mentality was in that place, but it was...What's next?! With my back to the stage and my arms around my husband's neck, I am slowly swaying to the intro of Lateralis when he demands that I turn around and finally see something different: the lighting set up! It looked great, the smoked was a great aide. It was such a production I though they may just go out on that note. So they took their break and as stated before, it was neat to see all of the lighters. I don't get out much! We knew what the encore was and my husband goes: "want to start heading for the doors." No, of course not.

In conclusion, the show was fantastic overall. Not too many asswipes near me, plenty of breathing room. $156 worth of merchandise, sleep well Tool, I gotchya back. Maybe I shouldn't see Tool so often next time around? Maybe they should realize that people are crazy and will follow them where ever they go and a little nightly titration would be great? Crapshoot? I guess I'd rather them play the songs they think they do best, or like to play, rather than mess ups...rather than no live Tool at all.

Thank you for touring, Tool.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

So if I'm understanding correctly, the band was also STANDING on screens? I was on the floor, so I'm curious about this. Anyone got pics?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaine View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly, the band was also STANDING on screens? I was on the floor, so I'm curious about this. Anyone got pics?
No, the floor was white and shiney, hence why the crew were wearing medical socks. The screens behind Tool were projecting onto the white surface, giving the effect that the flooring consisted of screens. It looked so awesome though!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #44

Bincount™: 271

This is the first review I have been able to do since seeing both Marysville and Oakland. Both had their pluses and neither have minuses. There is just way to much cool stuff going at any given moment during a tool show that I could post for days and never get it all then forget something because it took too long to get too. All I can say is: "Have you ever seen something that was so cool it was funny?" That is how seeing Tool was at both shows.
I had a negative attitude from reading all the prior reviews and WOW was I wrong! The whole stage setup is a big FU to people who bought floor seats from scalpers and moshing meatheads. The stage setup and whole show is fully geared to people sitting in the seats. On the floor you cant see a damn thing. The stage is absolutely mezmerizing. I remember during Vicarious they had this static thing going on when you cant get a channel on the TV and everything on the stage looked like it was floating. IT was amazing. I feel sorry for anyone on the floor at any of the coming shows. Your money is clearly wasted. Have fun with the "sweaty dudes and man-on-man action"-MJK, in the pit! SUCKERS!!!!
Message: To everyone who is disappointed with the setlist, stage setup, new album:
Get yourself sterilized immediately because you should not be allowed to reciprocate! First off everyone who compares this tour to 2002 needs to get a grip. Yes 2002 might be the high water mark for you but tool, more than any other band, evolves!!! Sorry you werent inundated with the same stage backdrop and other visuals. Sorry you had to endure something new. Sorry you didnt like it. Sorry its the same setlist, but like a previous poster pointed out, the stage visuals and lighting is definetely on the mark and coordinated with every song. They cant just come out and do requests for you. And like someone else said about the Justin interview in the SJ Mercury News, they will be unveiling wings (just as blair said) so chill the fuck out. Its an awesome setlist!!! You should have stayed home.

Back to the show: At Marysville there was this constant lazer pointing straight out to space which was way cool. That wasnt there in Oakland. But the Oakland lazers were times way better and looked better in the enclosed environment. But, seeing the crescent moon just over the stage during the show probably put marysville above Oakland. It was just too cool.
Somethings I noticed:
The last verse of Rosetta Stoned "strapped down in my bed, feet cold, eyes, red, gyroscopes and nicorrette" Maynard does without the bullhorn assistance and he mocks the sound it makes very well. The strain on ones vocal cords must be immense to do that right after the beautiful "overwhelmed as one would be...."
In Jambi, Danny does this crazy crossover with this right hand while he is keeping the beat with his left. Its truly amazing.
Maynard clearly likes Jambi, matter of fact, the way its played live, I think the whole band loves the song. Maynard started out swinging is cowboy hat around and was fully into it the entire song. At the end of Justin's solo he did this thing with his had that you would do after you signed a sweet contract or something, where you just let your hand trail off after you finish signing, as for emphasis.
In Right in Two Maynard cut a verse out and let us sing it just like in sober. I cant quite remember what part but I held my hand out like "oh shit thats new!"
Im glad that someone mentioned the "why cant we not be sober" where Maynard let us sing it, everyone was right on the money (unlike in stinkfist when you can here the idiots going "Ill keep digging") the intro to sober is excellent, I like the spacey distortions that everyone makes.
Aenima was awesome...some of us think that Maynard said "fuck Arnold and fuck all his clones" in marysville, but in oakland it was "L ron hubbard"...my friend eggman called it.
Lateralus rocked hard, the visual for it with the circles folding in on itself is truly amazing to behold with the new stage. It looks like the whole stage is sinking into a hole. The gong was awesome.
Pay attention to the pot, it is extended and both Adam, Justin, and Danny have little interludes that make the song 10x better.
When I think about it, all the songs are extended with little differences that you can only get at a live experience. And the Marysville and Oakland were two completely different shows.
What a shame for the people who cant see the difference.

P.S If you found a red billabong hoodie in section 105, please PM cause its cold in San Diego and I could use it! :P

P.P.S 512 MB SD card full of pics.... some like this..... http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_1702.jpg

Last edited by Carbine000; 09-05-2006 at 01:15 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 AM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine000 View Post
I feel sorry for anyone on the floor at any of the coming shows. Your money is clearly wasted. Have fun with the "sweaty dudes and man-on-man action" in the pit! SUCKERS!!!!
Come on, don't be so absolute. I was in the pit, and LOVED LOVED LOVED the show. Worth EVERY penny (and no, I wasn't scalped... would have STILL been worth it if I was). While the lasers and stage were surely cool, I was a few feet from the men that make the music that has brought so much to my life. TO ME nothing can ever top that!! Yeah, there were lots of sweaty people, but as long as I had that view, I could care less. Also, I'm not a dude, so don't have to worry about being embarrassed or pissed off by Maynard's man-on-man comments like so many guys seem to be. I heard plenty of "FUCK YOU," and the like, being yelled back at him from the homophobes in the pit after he said that. I do have to worry about dry-humping assholes "dancing" behind me inappropriately, but the right jabbing and/or stepping on toes fixes that problem. Anyhow, because I was so close, with no one in my way, this show was more enjoyable than the minitour show. I never thought I'd say that, as the mini show was phenomenal!

What I like is it sounds like Tool is making an effort to let everyone get cool visuals from the show, like Blair's post said. If you're in the pit, you get the band directly in front of you... Maynard's bizarre writhing (which was kind of hot), Justin's hair flying, Danny's insane feet and limbs everywhere (really hot) and Adam, um, Adam-ing. If you're up higher, you get all the visuals you described. Win win, right? There's always going to be the whiney bitches moaning about something, like the setlist, or sound, or blaaahhhhhhhh. With 30,000 people each night, you can't please 'em all, but it sounds like this stage set up is trying to?

Last edited by morgaine; 09-05-2006 at 12:45 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishpizza View Post
No, the floor was white and shiney, hence why the crew were wearing medical socks. The screens behind Tool were projecting onto the white surface, giving the effect that the flooring consisted of screens. It looked so awesome though!
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I see, thanks for clarifying! Now I also get why the screens behind them were so low. That's pretty cool, I'll have to check out some pics online of this.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaine View Post
Come on, don't be so absolute. I was in the pit, and LOVED LOVED LOVED the show. Worth EVERY penny (and no, I wasn't scalped... would have STILL been worth it if I was). While the lasers and stage were surely cool, I was a few feet from the men that make the music that has brought so much to my life. TO ME nothing can ever top that!! Yeah, there were lots of sweaty people, but as long as I had that view, I could care less. Also, I'm not a dude, so don't have to worry about being embarrassed or pissed off by Maynard's man-on-man comments like so many guys seem to be. I heard plenty of "FUCK YOU," and the like, being yelled back at him from the homophobes in the pit after he said that. I do have to worry about dry-humping assholes "dancing" behind me inappropriately, but the right jabbing and/or stepping on toes fixes that problem. Anyhow, because I was so close, with no one in my way, this show was more enjoyable than the minitour show. I never thought I'd say that, as the mini show was phenomenal!

What I like is it sounds like Tool is making an effort to let everyone get cool visuals from the show, like Blair's post said. If you're in the pit, you get the band directly in front of you... Maynard's bizarre writhing (which was kind of hot), Justin's hair flying, Danny's insane feet and limbs everywhere (really hot) and Adam, um, Adam-ing. If you're up higher, you get all the visuals you described. Win win, right? There's always going to be the whiney bitches moaning about something, like the setlist, or sound, or blaaahhhhhhhh. With 30,000 people each night, you can't please 'em all, but it sounds like this stage set up is trying to?
True that. I was shoved the front at street scene and I was so close to Justin that I could see the veins in his hands popping. After the show I immediately checked off "be front row at Tool" from my list. You have solid points, I guess it is a win-win in general. But in IMHO I would rather be in a seat. I guess it all comes down to prefernce. But I hope it makes people at upcoming shows feel better about their so called "shitty" seats.

=) rock on

P.S. check out my link to a pic I took, should help alleviate any questions you had about the stage!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 01:27 AM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine000 View Post
True that. I was shoved the front at street scene and I was so close to Justin that I could see the veins in his hands popping. After the show I immediately checked off "be front row at Tool" from my list. You have solid points, I guess it is a win-win in general. But in IMHO I would rather be in a seat. I guess it all comes down to prefernce. But I hope it makes people at upcoming shows feel better about their so called "shitty" seats.

=) rock on

P.S. check out my link to a pic I took, should help alleviate any questions you had about the stage!
Agreed! I loved this show, and also shows where I was seated, so I can't say I'll want to see every show from now on from the pit or a seat. Both have their good and bad points, just like each show. You just gotta hope you get a good combination the evening you go and aren't surrounded by lame people. And thanks, that pic's pretty cool, I see now what the deal with the stage floor was. You got more pics from your king's mountain view and mega memory card to share with us SUCKERS on the floor?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 01:42 AM   #49

Last edited by Carbine000; 09-05-2006 at 01:55 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #50
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishpizza View Post
Actually there are projectors mounted into the light rig pointing down at the stage. I was up front in Marysville and was able to get a good look at the light rig. I wanted to design light shows for bands since I was 10 years old so I pay attention to these things. In Oakland I was straight back from the stage and about 22 rows off the floor. So I had a great view of the projections on the stage. The stage is shiny and for the first few songs it is just the reflection from the backscreens hitting the stage. But from Jambi on there are actual projection being shot onto the stage. This stage is made for indoor arenas and not places like Marysville. You need fog for the lasers to look their best which was totally lost in Marysville but hypnotic in Oakland. Oakland was my 27th Tool show and it renewed my faith in one of my favorite bands.
S.F. 6/12/92 | Mt. View 6/22/93 | S.F. 12/12/93 | S.F. 11/11/94 | S.F. 10.21.96 | Concord 8/15/97 | S.J. 8/30/98 | Indio 10/10/99 | Red Rocks 8/3/01 | Berkeley 8/10/01 | Berkeley 8/11/01 | Sac. 11/2/01 | Mt. View 11/3/01 | Oakland 7/12/02 | Sac. 7/13/02 | Trenton 8/12/02 | NYC 8/13/02 | Orem 10/12/02 | Col. Springs 10/13/02 | Fresno 11/22/02 | Reno 11/23/02 | Long Beach 11/24/02 | Oakland 5/4/06 | Marysville 9/2/06 | Oakland 9/3/06 | Reno 4/30/07 | S.F. 12/11/07 | SLC 7/19/09 | S.F. 7/12/10 | Sac. 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #51
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlastingpmpkn View Post
your flickr says you used a razr v3x, i was like right behind you dude (more over to the fence), i saw you holding up your phone a lot.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #53
Level 1 - Lurker

WOW! Great show, basically the same setlist from Coachella and Street Scene, but much better inside. Loved Rosetta Stoned and Right In Two. The sound got deafining towards the end, but the light show was amazing. A drunk dude in front of me nearly fell on his ass and had to helped out of the crowd lol. Oh, and a note to all the guys out there: When you see a girl dancing really close to a guy, don't walk up to her and start grinding yourself up against her. Not cool. I didn't appreciate it and neither did my woman. But other than that, great fucking show and I can't wait to see them again some time next year, with hopefully a different setlist. Need to hear more off Opiate and Undertow, and few different songs from Aenima and Lateralus. This setlist has been burned into my memory now and I kinda feel sorry for the people that are following them around, catching all the shows. But I'm sure it kicks ass all the same.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #54

Quote:
yeah, i hated the pit. but i moved over to the fence and i loved where i was, i got to chill on the fence and we had room to chill. the only thing i didn't like was that the screens were so damn low. i have NEVER been to any show where the visuals were even close to that low. it's like they decided that the people in the seats got the good show, and then told people on the floor to fuck off.
I personally think it's a wonderful trade off that seems to have never been thought of before: reward people no matter where they sit. Sure close seats are great. You get to see the band, what they're doing, expressions, etc. Only so many people get those tickets and with most shows, its almost not worth going sitting in the the 2nd balcony. But wait! Let's project onto the stage and give the people looking down more of a show. You can still see what's going on on the videos from the floor. It's the same images! What you can't see fromup high is the band that well, so I see it as a cool trade off and them considering everyone, not just the people who managed to get good seats.

This show was great. 4th time seeing this set and somehow these last 2 shows (Oakland and Marysville) felt much better than the previous 2. (Paramount was special in its own way, but this set and show has grown tremendously in many ways since then.)

I started in the middle center, sorta worked my way down as I was booted from sections that weren't my seats. Somehow we managed to upgrade with each ejection, finally leaving us at the railing directly stage right, roughly 20-25 yards from Adam. It was fucking ridiculous. The last 3 or 4 songs had me out of my body. There was this chick behind me and we just had this like spiritual dance/battle back and forth. Completely vibing off of eachother, but not in a sexual way. We were just expressing through movement and feeling the music together and I haven't really experienced that before with a stranger. By the time Lateralus was closing, I was just beyond earth, exploding throught the ceiling. The energy in there was amazing. The crowd cheered for what felt like an hour at the end. It would die down a little and erupt again. So much love in that room. What a way to end the 2k6 shows for me.

Last edited by honky; 09-05-2006 at 11:49 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

sickest part of the show for me was extended Stinkfist
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 3rd Tool show this tour and it was fucking awesome! The stage show is better if you are up high because the whole stage is a projection for the visuals, which were stronger for some songs than others. Jambi, Right in Two, and Vicarious stood out for me for the visual effect. Jambi had all the Sun and Orange and Red imagery is racing over the band Some of the other songs like Stinkfist and the The Pot didn’t seem have a good visual concept and mostly relied on lights changing to various rhythms of the songs, which was cool, but a waste of the stage set up after you see what they did with Jambi, Right in Two, Lateralus, Vicarious, and Rosetta Stoned. (No Lost Keys though! I love that intro!) The imagery really goes along with the song, though some of it confused me. I have the sense that stage show is a work in progress and if they tour the US next year should be even better.

While I am disappointed (along with a lot of other people) that they did not play a longer set, or change it up that much from their previous shows (I saw the Oakland warm up show and the Fresno show) it was still worth it and the set is growing. Rosetta Stoned had a lot more space than the previous two sets, and Schism rocked harder. They have added some extended jams as well.

Maynard was irritated with the moshing which looked like it got pretty wild at some points. He joked that the moshers, “Just liked rubbing up against other guys.” Maynard pantomimed jacking off at the crowd as he leaving the stage. Was that directed as the moshers as well? At any rate it was funny.

Another nice thing. The band gave the people who were as far to the side as possible some extra attention when bowing after they finished the set. It looked like those people had really shitty seats. Tool does seem to be going out of their way to give a good experience to as many people as possible. Even if it’s not exactly what you want, it is pretty fucking awesome.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #57

Bincount™: 1

5th show this year and just might have been the best. Just for the fact that the songs last night sounded so good. Even the intros where more intense then Marysville, and the Gorge the week before. The "where were we" comment was the best feeling in the world 11 shows now for me, the last two being back to back down close both nights, I knew truly where I was.
The other thing I love is the fact that they make eye contact with the crowd, it feels so good to look into the eyes of that much energy. I'm sure it helps MJK see the crowd better with the sun glasses on you think?
Need more live TOOL!!!
9/24/01, 8/13/02, 8/15/02, 8/21/02, 10/24/02, 10/29/02, 5/4/06, 8/6/06, 8/27/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 4/27/07, 4/28/07, 4/30/07, 12/7/07, 12/11/07, 7/12/10, 7/13/10, 1/14/12, 3/9/14, 3/11/14, 3/14/14, 10/31/15, 1/6/16, 1/7/16, 6/21/17, 6/23/17, 11/16/19, 11/18/19, 11/19/19, 1/14/20, 1/15/20, 1/17/20, 1/10/22, 10/17/23, 10/19/23, 10/20/23, 2/9/24, 2/10/24, 2/12/24, 2/14/24, 2/15/24
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #58
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evaporated View Post

Another nice thing. The band gave the people who were as far to the side as possible some extra attention when bowing after they finished the set. It looked like those people had really shitty seats. Tool does seem to be going out of their way to give a good experience to as many people as possible. Even if it’s not exactly what you want, it is pretty fucking awesome.
Yes that was nice. But Danny made a bad throw to the crowd when he tried to throw a stick up ther eit ended up bouncing off the side of the stage :D
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #59
Level 3 - Talker

I've seen TOOL in concert a total of 13 times including sundays performance in Oakland. My thought on the show was that it was a good "rock" concert. Plain and simple they came out played the jams and left. The feel for me was that it went by pretty quick, they played a sort of greatest hits. Even the lasers and the backdrop was to plain, definetly not was i have been used to in the past. Comparing this tour to when Lateralus came out and Aenima it was watered down. I posted some pictures in an earlier comment. Im not complaining, Im just expressing how i felt after seeing them on this tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #60

Bincount™: 4

right in two was the shit and lateralus is by far the best song they play... it just keeps building and building... great show
Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #61
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post
In conclusion, the show was fantastic overall. Not too many asswipes near me, plenty of breathing room. $156 worth of merchandise, sleep well Tool, I gotchya back. Maybe I shouldn't see Tool so often next time around? Maybe they should realize that people are crazy and will follow them where ever they go and a little nightly titration would be great? Crapshoot? I guess I'd rather them play the songs they think they do best, or like to play, rather than mess ups...rather than no live Tool at all.

Thank you for touring, Tool.
This woman speaks truism!

I was at the show too. What a great experience. It was my third on this tour (Paramount and NYC City Center), and this one tops it all. Don't get me wrong. Paramount was great, NYC and the trip to NYC itself were epic. But Sunday night at the Arena was just everything you would expect from TOOL.

I don't mind the setlist at all. In a way, and seriously, I'm kinda glad that they didn't play Wings. I want to hear it live when it's ripe if you know what i mean. It's kinda like how they did it with Right in Two. It wasn't all that good at the beginning of the tour. But when they played it at the Arena a couple of nights ago, it totally blew my brains out.

I totally dug the visuals too. There's one thing people have not mentioned. Yeah people on the floor like i was didn't get to see the video projection/reflection on the stage floor but it was just as cool from our perspective. The whole white stage made the glowing of the light ever more powerful. It appeared to us people on the floor that the light was coming from underneath illuminating every element on stage. It was like the band was playing on a pile of gold! It's very overwhelming to the audience on the floor.

Can't wait until they come back in '07.

Last edited by godhenry; 09-05-2006 at 10:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

The thing that kinda upsets me is that they said they were going to change the setlist, but they didn't. They took out one song and added a new one. In a way, it's not fair, but then again, they do what they want. We can't expect them to go out and play a different setlist every night. Maybe they just need a break. They've been touring since May, and playing the same songs. They've perfected these songs, but its time to change things up. Take out Sober and put in Prison Sex if they just want to do singles from Undertow. A surprise from Opiate here and there would be nice. And more from Aenima. 10,000 Days has basically been played live. It'd be nice to open our Third Eye.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #63
Level 7 - Loquacious

oh yeah,..they Paramount show BLEW this one out the water,..still a good show though
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #64

Bincount™: 3

great show!
the band felt much tighter than than when I saw them at the Tower theater warm-up show in philly. but the setlist was almost exactly the same. except they didn't play the Pot in philly.

the biggest dissapointment was the pit. this was my first time in the pit at a TOOL show and I'm never buying pit tickets ever again. how can you enjoy a show when you have to worry about the coked out bastards punching you in the head. I couldn't concentrate on the show at all. why would you waste the opportunity of being able to see TOOL up close, by being baked out of your mind, running aroud like a dumbass chicken with it's head cutoff. the ninja was cool though i got to shake her hand "I think it was a chic"

Can't wait to see them in camden and DC from the seats later this month and get a better view of the visuals. and hopefully a differnt setlist. flood, prison sex and wings would blow my f-ing mind.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

i was in section 105 and i only saw the ninja while walking to the bart station.
it was a she? wow.
pretty cool.
but the moment i saw her i thought she's a leper.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post

I totally dug the visuals too. There's one thing people have not mentioned. Yeah people on the floor like i was didn't get to see the video projection/reflection on the stage floor but it was just as cool from our perspective. The whole white stage made the glowing of the light ever more powerful. It appeared to us people on the floor that the light was coming from underneath illuminating every element on stage. It was like the band was playing on a pile of gold! It's very overwhelming to the audience on the floor.

Can't wait until they come back in '07.

That is awesome!!!! I was laughing at the floor people because when I experienced the stage I noticed that it seemed fully geared to people in the seats. But this review has cahnged my mind. Sounds very very cool!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #67
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

this was my 4th tool show and I enjoyed Isis more than tool! talk about epic. As for tool they were too loud and everything just blended together into mush, not to mention the setlist was dull and predictable. oh well, still had fun =)

that we are all one mind.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #68
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF View Post
Yes that was nice. But Danny made a bad throw to the crowd when he tried to throw a stick up ther eit ended up bouncing off the side of the stage :D
man, that was HILARIOUS, i was laughing for a few minutes off of that, good shit. i bet his hands were all slippery from two hours of playing and damn, he reached back for that mighty throw and it just bounced off the ground
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #69
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
man, that was HILARIOUS, i was laughing for a few minutes off of that, good shit. i bet his hands were all slippery from two hours of playing and damn, he reached back for that mighty throw and it just bounced off the ground
I loved how he was laughing and shit afterwards too, he knew he really fucked up! Haha.

BTW what did you look like, I can almost gurantee I saw you because from reading your review it sounds like we were in the same general area, at least at the start.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #70
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show and I loved it. I really didn't like the opening band that much. Tool rocked. Maybe because I hadn't looked at any previous setlists, but I enjoyed hearing so much off Aenima. I'm suprised some of you are complaining about the pushing on the floor. It's the "floor" of a "metal" band. Moshing to Tool, meh, can't really see it. But I was expecting to be pushed around. I was too close to the front to be able to get out backwards, so I got crowd surfed to the front to go get water and was suprised that the security told me if I did it again, I'd be booted.

I've been to more than 10 shows at the Oakland Arena and I have never seen such strict security.

Anyways, I'm so glad I saw Tool because I feel like they're a "defining" live act of our time.

P.S. I wouldn't have seen the show from anywhere but the floor.

P.P.S. This show ranked up there with the 15 SOAD shows I've been to.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #71
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

I have been thinking about it and Maynard nailed The Pot. It sounded excellent. He hit the high notes perfectly.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #72
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF View Post
BTW what did you look like, I can almost gurantee I saw you because from reading your review it sounds like we were in the same general area, at least at the start.
i was the tall white dude wearing a KYUSS shirt with my short asian girlfriend. this is us.

by the way, someone came up to me after the show and talked to me about my Kyuss shirt...whoever you are, show yourself! i had a cool conversation with some dude about Kyuss/QOTSA afterwards.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #73
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
i was the tall white dude wearing a KYUSS shirt with my short asian girlfriend. this is us.

by the way, someone came up to me after the show and talked to me about my Kyuss shirt...whoever you are, show yourself! i had a cool conversation with some dude about Kyuss/QOTSA afterwards.
I didn't see you guys in the pit but I definitely saw you walking in line for the entrance, I remember cuz of the Kyuss shirt (I yelled out "Kyuss!" but I guess you didn't hear me). That's awesome though:D
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #74

Pictures here of the Oakland show.... i dont know how else to get the word out. The oakland thread is closed. Go head and delete is kabir. http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3522888/Pictures_of_Oakland
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: