opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 07. Parabola
User Name
Password
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Fibonacci and Parabola

I absolutely fell in love re-discovering the guitar riff after 4:20 in Parapola.

I decided to count and found out that it follows a Fibonacci pattern.

1 1 2 3 5

When the drums kick in, the "3" is also done on the drums. It helps to recognize it.

What a masterful moment.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 468
Re: Fibonacci and Parabola

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblobob View Post
I absolutely fell in love re-discovering the guitar riff after 4:20 in Parapola.

I decided to count and found out that it follows a Fibonacci pattern.

1 1 2 3 5

When the drums kick in, the "3" is also done on the drums. It helps to recognize it.

What a masterful moment.
I'm sorry but I can't hear the 1 1 2 3 5, not even after 10 times...
Old 11-24-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

The Fibonacci sequence is used during Lateralus for sure, but I've never heard it in Parabola.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

i wouldn't doubt it, those numbers are everwhere throughout the album. however, i wasn't albe to catch this one as described. 4:20-?, or ...what riff? (tooltabs.net)
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 84

The only time i've heard the sequence in this Cd is in the song lateralus. But i wouldnt doubt that its in there somewhere This is one of the most complex band's i've ever heard.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm not hearing it either.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

That's because it's not there. The only song that has a Fibonacci sequence is Lateralus. True they may use other sacred geometry patterns in their beats but for the love of god wake up people.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

Wake up people! ever see the pepsi commerical? lol *Yawn*
Old 12-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool_Is_Sick View Post
Wake up people! ever see the pepsi commerical? lol *Yawn*
.....??
Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

The diet pepsi commerical with the Dallas Cowboys. Tony Romo runs over to Wade phillips (Cowboys head coach) and the playcall is a "YAWN?" Tony romo gets sacked because the whole team didnt understand the playcall. Did you ever see that commerical? lol

At the end, The cowboys owner takes the headphones away from the offensive coordinator and gives him a diet pepsi and then it says..WAKE UP PEOPLE!?

When you said wake up people..I just randomly mentioned it...I dont know. I'll keep my thoughts to myself next time.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

anyone else notice the fibonnaci within forty-six & 2?

past - present - future

0-1-1
1-1-2
1-2-3
2-3-5
3-5-8
5-8-13
8-13-21

"listen to my muscle memory" - "contemplate what i've been clinging to" - "forty-six & 2 ahead of me"
Old 01-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

stop what? why? you're kidding right? oh, rivek... okay, so lemme guess... the first time you (or most anyone here, really) ever came to understand, or actualize an understanding, for the sequence ...was via the syllabic order and/or rhythmic beat structures within tool's music? really?! then, fine. that's just a start. congrats. HIGH PHIVE! now you know. but, then, now what?

"I KNOW: let's just keep looking for more of the exact same instances of this pattern within their syllabels and beats!!! (as that's the ONLY way it could ever exist!) YAY!1"

perhaps, JUST PERHAPS!, tool included that *very obvious* (i.e. counting to 8? ...no better than a chimp) lyrical structuring within "lateralus" so that (instead of regurgitating pattern occurences within the music and wasting your time) all of you dumbshits could actually go off into the real world and "dig" at something a little more worthwhile - i.e. the geometrical absolutes that seem to encompass nearly EVERYTHING within our everyday living (as, for some reason, it has been overlooked and somewhat supressed from general knowledge). "hey, look, a tree ...ah, so what?"

but since y'all can only seem to understand in syllables: it-may-not-be-ex-clu-sive-to-tool's-mu-sic-and-es-pe-ci-al-ly-not-ex-clu-sive-with-in-their-com-plex-beats-and-/-or-syl-la-bel-s-. and, hey, just what if you found more examples within their music? what if? what would that tell you? what's the point?! so what?

the fibonacci sequence ...what does it mean? how does the sequence work? WWWWWWWWWWWHY does it exist? WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY doesn't EVERYONE know about it right outta early gradeschool? why can't we feel it? cancerous, really.

past-present-future. absolutely.

now!

...have fun evolving.
(i'm gonna go throw up now)

one more vent:
this forum sucks. it's 2008 now and we're STILL stubbling over the same shit we all figured out the day lateralus leaked.

"so, when you're ready ...join ME in the 21st century!"
-bill hicks

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 01-05-2008 at 01:06 PM..
Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Level 10 - Vehement

no ...for god's sake, don't tell me to stop anything.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 01-05-2008 at 01:07 PM..
Old 01-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

lol this guy cracks me up. The constant changing of caps to lower case is fuckin hilarious. I think he uses more "" "" 's in that post then I have used in about 5 years. "HOLY FUCKIN SHIT"

Ha-ve-A-Go-od-D-a---y.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

:D

"i love you all, and you feel it"
it's biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllll llll!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #16
Level 10 - Vehement

no, quite the opposite
:starts to shake:
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
stop what? why? you're kidding right? oh, rivek... okay, so lemme guess... the first time you (or most anyone here, really) ever came to understand, or actualize an understanding, for the sequence ...was via the syllabic order and/or rhythmic beat structures within tool's music? really?! then, fine. that's just a start. congrats. HIGH PHIVE! now you know. but, then, now what?

"I KNOW: let's just keep looking for more of the exact same instances of this pattern within their syllabels and beats!!! (as that's the ONLY way it could ever exist!) YAY!1"

perhaps, JUST PERHAPS!, tool included that *very obvious* (i.e. counting to 8? ...no better than a chimp) lyrical structuring within "lateralus" so that (instead of regurgitating pattern occurences within the music and wasting your time) all of you dumbshits could actually go off into the real world and "dig" at something a little more worthwhile - i.e. the geometrical absolutes that seem to encompass nearly EVERYTHING within our everyday living (as, for some reason, it has been overlooked and somewhat supressed from general knowledge). "hey, look, a tree ...ah, so what?"

but since y'all can only seem to understand in syllables: it-may-not-be-ex-clu-sive-to-tool's-mu-sic-and-es-pe-ci-al-ly-not-ex-clu-sive-with-in-their-com-plex-beats-and-/-or-syl-la-bel-s-. and, hey, just what if you found more examples within their music? what if? what would that tell you? what's the point?! so what?

the fibonacci sequence ...what does it mean? how does the sequence work? WWWWWWWWWWWHY does it exist? WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY doesn't EVERYONE know about it right outta early gradeschool? why can't we feel it? cancerous, really.

past-present-future. absolutely.

now!

...have fun evolving.
(i'm gonna go throw up now)

one more vent:
this forum sucks. it's 2008 now and we're STILL stubbling over the same shit we all figured out the day lateralus leaked.

"so, when you're ready ...join ME in the 21st century!"
-bill hicks
Regardless of your mindless rant here, Parabola still doesn't have a fibonacci sequence in it, drums or syllables
Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

So, since this thread was started about one mathmatic principal, I have a question in the same vein, why title the song "Parabola?" I have been going over this in my head for a while now and can't quite seem to make complete sense of it. I understand the idea of Parabol being Greek for Parable and the lyrics of this song tying into Plato's (?) philosophy. My question, being the nerd that I am, is what is parallel between the mathmatic funtion, the Parabola, and the lyrics of the song.

A parabola is defined by a quadratic equation right? It is basically a curve that has a peak or trough (resembling a steep hill or deep valley) whose ends move outward to infinity on both the X and Y axis. Is it the infinite nature of a parabola that Maynard was referencing? I think that seems a little too obvious, however then again if you don't know anything about math, you might not know what a parabola is.

Also, a parabola is completely symmetrical. There are complementary points that make up each side and are the exact opposite of each other and they meet together at one point (the apex). In the song, Maynard talks about not being alone in his body. I am supposing that this a reference to separate parts of his psyche. In keeping with the theme of the entire album, is the use of a Parabola metaphor for the two clashing, oompeting halves of a persons psyche and joining in order to make the person whole?

I am interested to see what the rest of you think about this?

PS - I know I am like 8 years late on this, but forgive, I just started getting into TOOL's music
Old 01-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #19
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

I think he seperates mind from body in this song. The body is mortal, the mind eternal.
But then again this doesn't make a symmetrical seperation between them. Therefor i don't know how to put this in the whole parabola methaphore. Maybe the "apex" is the point where we die?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

I agree that he is separating his mind from his body in this song. I believe that the point of the song is to illustrate his belief that his consciousness is independent of his mortal body and that while his flesh may die, his consciousness will survive.

The line that interests me the most is the line where Maynard talks about not being alone. Is this song sung from the point of view of one part of his psyche? Or is this perhaps a reference to Jung's theory of the collective unconscious? I mean the rest of the song certainly seems to fit into Jung's theory. That archetypes and consciousness survives and is universal. I haven't completely digested this idea yet, but am interested to talk about it more.

I need to read up on Jung.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

pray, 'cause no-body ever survives?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #22
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguru85 View Post
I agree that he is separating his mind from his body in this song. I believe that the point of the song is to illustrate his belief that his consciousness is independent of his mortal body and that while his flesh may die, his consciousness will survive.

The line that interests me the most is the line where Maynard talks about not being alone. Is this song sung from the point of view of one part of his psyche? Or is this perhaps a reference to Jung's theory of the collective unconscious? I mean the rest of the song certainly seems to fit into Jung's theory. That archetypes and consciousness survives and is universal. I haven't completely digested this idea yet, but am interested to talk about it more.

Me too. I like the "collective unconscious" thought in this theory.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #23
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
So, since this thread was started about one mathmatic principal, I have a question in the same vein, why title the song "Parabola?" I have been going over this in my head for a while now and can't quite seem to make complete sense of it. I understand the idea of Parabol being Greek for Parable and the lyrics of this song tying into Plato's (?) philosophy. My question, being the nerd that I am, is what is parallel between the mathmatic funtion, the Parabola, and the lyrics of the song.

A parabola is defined by a quadratic equation right? It is basically a curve that has a peak or trough (resembling a steep hill or deep valley) whose ends move outward to infinity on both the X and Y axis. Is it the infinite nature of a parabola that Maynard was referencing? I think that seems a little too obvious, however then again if you don't know anything about math, you might not know what a parabola is.

Also, a parabola is completely symmetrical. There are complementary points that make up each side and are the exact opposite of each other and they meet together at one point (the apex). In the song, Maynard talks about not being alone in his body. I am supposing that this a reference to separate parts of his psyche. In keeping with the theme of the entire album, is the use of a Parabola metaphor for the two clashing, oompeting halves of a persons psyche and joining in order to make the person whole?

I am interested to see what the rest of you think about this?

PS - I know I am like 8 years late on this, but forgive, I just started getting into TOOL's music
It's a great way to look at it but, I think it's more along the separation of body and mind/spirit that he's referencing.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #24
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

I believe he means his spirit within his body, I (my body) am not alone (my spirit resides within me).

Of course, the meaning of this song I'm still open to and on the fence.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Okay, then in your interp, how does this fit into the theme of parabola? I guess my biggest interest in the song, despite the fact that I love listening to it, is in the name. The idea of naming a song after a mathmatic function is interesting to me and I am trying to wrap my mind around why they would do so.

In your interp, do the body and mind represent the symmetrical sides of the parabola? Is the apex the joining of the two? Is that even the goal of the song? Or is it more along the lines of separation? As in the apex is the starting point and the body and mind diverge into infinity as the symmetrical curves that extend into infinity? I have to admit that I like that idea a lot more. I think I may have had the idea backwards in my first interp of the song. I was thinking of the apex of the parabola as the finish when it is more likely that it is the start.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #26
Jedi Master

Quote:
I was thinking of the apex of the parabola as the finish when it is more likely that it is the start.
That was my thought exactly. The downward part is the ending of mortal life on earth as we know it. The apex is the point we litterally die and our spirit begins it's journey on it's own and its new "life" where the lines rises again.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

I have to admit that I have taking a liking to the idea that the apex of the parabola represents death (or the separation of the mind/spirit from the body). They are one at the apex but then everywhere afterward they are mirror reflections of each other, they have diverged but remain symmetrical. This makes me think that this song is not a reference to death but instead a type of enlightenment. Also, the lyrics speak of life and "a gift." I originally thought of this song to be about some sort of afterlife but I now think of it differently.

I now think of it in terms of a question that an old coach once asked me when I was about to quit one practice because I was tired, sore, and didn't think I could do anymore, "Are you a body with a mind or a mind with a body." Essentially he was asking me if my body controlled my mind, or if my mind was stronger and the one in control. This quote has stuck with me and pops into my mind from time to time to this day. I now think of what Maynard is singing about as the power of the mind to overcome physical limitations and push a body farther than we think it can go. Our minds are powerful and limitless.

Maynard is known (or rumored) to be into Jiu Jitsu. I think that these lyrics and idea may have stemmed from something he learned while training his body. Granted this is just speculation and we will never know, but that is what I like to think. Having wrestled for years myself, I can especially connect with this concept.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #28
Level 10 - Vehement

may i suggest something? (and i'll sound like a broken record or whatever, but) check out toolband.com's flash page. floating below the option box (toolband - toolarmy - dissectional) is a red dot. clicking on it triggers a very readable article by blair mackenzie blake entitled "let not my tears fall unnoticed: being the secret joys of a lachrymist". i think it may shed some light on the parabolic nature you're discussing here. something like -1 & +1 = zero. enlightenment makes a lot of sense in this context; alive i.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #29
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Maynard is known (or rumored) to be into Jiu Jitsu. I think that these lyrics and idea may have stemmed from something he learned while training his body. Granted this is just speculation and we will never know, but that is what I like to think. Having wrestled for years myself, I can especially connect with this concept.
It is true that he trains in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, heaven't you seen the video where some fan runs up on stage and Maynard gives him a good hip throw and then puts him in the rear naked choke..?? Anyways, I think it's definately a relevant idea but I think the reference is more than just physical limitations. It's allowing oneself to be open enough to truly admire life and the things within that most are too busy or too distracted to notice hence "to witness the beauty / weep like a widow" to embrace life in general, it's pros and cons alike and to enjoy the experience that having this time on this planet offers while almost everyone else is seeing the seeing the forest for the trees instead of the trees for the forest, know whatta mean
Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

I know exactly what you mean I_E, I have been reading this book lately and their was a quote that a character said that was something to the tune of, "Life doesn't excite me because of the good or bad moments, the simple experience of life excites me." (that wasn't the exact quote, but it is the point of what they said and I am too lazy to look it up)

I have taken up photography lately, and a friend who works for a gallery in Chicago told me that I have a natural talent for it (I am not taking too much stock in it and am not going to quit my job to become a photographer, but it was nice to hear). The aspect of photography that I enjoy most is taking a photo from a point of view that you don't typically enjoy life from. One of my fav photos is of a couple of half empty (or were they half full) pint glasses from a sort of birds eye view. The light reflects off of the beer and also the glass creating an extremely interesting effect. I was sitting there drinking with my buddies and this sight suddenly caught my eye and I photographed it. Perhaps it is because I link a moment to the image that I enjoy it so much, but I like to think that it represents those small moments when you feel really happy in your everday life. It represents good times with friends; the moments you take for granted. I think those are the moments when you are truly happy, but you don't realize it because you are too busy living it to think about it. know whatta mean?

Last edited by guitarguru85; 01-18-2008 at 07:43 PM..
Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Oh, I hadn't seen that video Maynard tossing a crazy fan. Pretty intense, did he get sued for that? Also, is a rear naked choke really necessary?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #32
Jedi Master

Maynard worked him quite gently to the ground. Swiftly but gentle. The guy wasn't supposed to get up on stage in the first place so Maynard handled on his terrain. Tool is not a crowdsurf/stagedive minded band, imao

Just by noticing his waving and raising fist i believe the "fan", either euphoric or drunk, was not complaining but enjoying his little act on stage. I don't know how this all ended. It's not been shown on Youtube but i hope Maynard shook his hand afterward and then kicked his right of the stage :)
Old 01-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

You know he told all his friends, "Dude did you totally see that? Maynard kicked my ass and it was the best thing ever!"
Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #34
Jedi Master

Haha, exactly.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #35
Jedi Master

And ugly! Don't wanna get up on stage when he's around.

I've only been up onstage with Lou Koller of Sick Of It All a few years ago. Awsome frontman. Respect.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #36
Jedi Master

Now that you mention "White Pony". Did Maynard ever do a live guest appearance on Passenger?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

I was never into the Deftones that much, I did like that one song that they did for the Matrix soundtrack (forget which movie) called "My Own Summer." Pretty badass song I have to admit.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #38
Jedi Master

When i was searching for metal/punk bands who did covers of mainstream music i came across the Sade-cover from Deftones. Jeezzz, almost fell asleep on that one.

Talking about those covers, there are some badass versions when you know where to find them.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=45074267

Last edited by Rolo; 01-21-2008 at 03:20 PM..
Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #39
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
They didn't do that for the movie, it was on the album they released three years prior. But it is a damn good song. They use it as a live opener every time I've seen them.
Oh, I wasn't implying that it was done for the movie, I don't think anything on the soundtrack was. It would be a good one live I think though. Also, I love when a band starts a show with a song that pounds like that.

Do you ever listen to In Flames? They have some stuff at times that reminds me of the Deftones. Particularly a song called "My Sweet Shadow"
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #40
Jedi Master

They did a good Genesis-cover of "land of confusion" too. Better than Disturbed's version.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: