Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 10. Right in Two
User Name
Password
FalloutMan
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K In Yo Mouf
Yr 1 Stupid Monkey...

All I can say is, "Stupid is as stupid does."
Old 05-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Stupid of Maynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by K In Yo Mouf
Yr 1 Stupid Monkey...

All I can say is, "Stupid is as stupid does."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM

"I don't mind"
Old 05-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #42
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

"I don't mind"
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM

I've never killed a monkey, but, man...I really want to now. Usually we just go out back and kill squirrels. The dude from tool, Mallard, write a song regarding this, and I've heard it and other people think it's deep. the tools RULE
Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #43
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 28

I've never killed a monkey, but, man...I really want to now. Usually we just go out back and kill squirrels. The dude from tool, Mallard, write a song regarding this, and I've heard it and other people think it's deep. the tools RULE
mahalo's Avatar mahalo
05-02-2006, 07:17 PM

ghey
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

ghey
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
05-02-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague
it was Stupid of maynard to write a "humanity sucks" song, cause now every time i wear a Tool shirt in public some heavy-breathing overweight geek in a home-made Tool shirt is going to approach me, tell me how cool my shirt is, and then pester me endlessly about how "people are monkies man! humans ruined earth!" as opposed to the old "Maths man! thats so deep! spiral of your own divinity!" crap.

on the bright side, maybe it'll encourage a few of these idiots to off themselves.

Having a shallow interpretation of the song doesn't mean the song is shallow. The problem is with you, my friend, there is plenty within the song if you dare to stay your rash judgements and THINK.
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 05-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #45
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21

Quote:
it was Stupid of maynard to write a "humanity sucks" song, cause now every time i wear a Tool shirt in public some heavy-breathing overweight geek in a home-made Tool shirt is going to approach me, tell me how cool my shirt is, and then pester me endlessly about how "people are monkies man! humans ruined earth!" as opposed to the old "Maths man! thats so deep! spiral of your own divinity!" crap.

on the bright side, maybe it'll encourage a few of these idiots to off themselves.

Having a shallow interpretation of the song doesn't mean the song is shallow. The problem is with you, my friend, there is plenty within the song if you dare to stay your rash judgements and THINK.
Help people, you lazy bum
Dameyon
05-03-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimey
Aenima? That's a similar song, but a lot more deep. I must admit.. this song is just a little bit too simple to understand than I would of hoped.
Uh, there's really not all that much depth to Aenima. It's a Bill Hicks bit turned into a song.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Aenima? That's a similar song, but a lot more deep. I must admit.. this song is just a little bit too simple to understand than I would of hoped.
Uh, there's really not all that much depth to Aenima. It's a Bill Hicks bit turned into a song.
Murdz.'s Avatar Murdz.
05-03-2006, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi
He was never optimistic, more like losing his faith in humanity...
Can you blame him?

When it all boils down to it we, like monkies, are primitive in thinking and reality.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:23 AM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi
He was never optimistic, more like losing his faith in humanity...
Can you blame him?

When it all boils down to it we, like monkies, are primitive in thinking and reality.
05-03-2006, 05:04 AM

if anything this is more "fuck you" than aenima guys, really.
being bold, and being mature are not in the same.
Yeah Fuck this, Fuck that is hard core, but i mean, that's where Tool was at that point in time, Aenima was part of the push towards third eye, without it they couldn't have moved forward to lateralus yes. but they have moved forward and moved past. look at each of the albums as a progression, each of the earlier tracks contributing to and summing up in the final ones. look at that in the order of the cd's and 10,000 Days could be considered (heaven forbid) the last tool track. but if you think about it i mean fuck this fuck that is in your face yes, but presenting something plainly and "truth" fully is far more intense. it's fuck this v. oh why!? it's fuck this v. (evil stare)
lol
sorry... again off the adderal today~
much love
Timste
Old 05-03-2006, 05:04 AM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

if anything this is more "fuck you" than aenima guys, really.
being bold, and being mature are not in the same.
Yeah Fuck this, Fuck that is hard core, but i mean, that's where Tool was at that point in time, Aenima was part of the push towards third eye, without it they couldn't have moved forward to lateralus yes. but they have moved forward and moved past. look at each of the albums as a progression, each of the earlier tracks contributing to and summing up in the final ones. look at that in the order of the cd's and 10,000 Days could be considered (heaven forbid) the last tool track. but if you think about it i mean fuck this fuck that is in your face yes, but presenting something plainly and "truth" fully is far more intense. it's fuck this v. oh why!? it's fuck this v. (evil stare)
lol
sorry... again off the adderal today~
much love
Timste
GhostofMAkkinen
05-03-2006, 05:39 AM

I've been listening to tool since 92 and I like the song. The hardcore fuck you stuff was good at the time, it still is. THis song may seem simple lyrically but in conjuring Judeochristian beliefs (angels, Father, Eden) it seems appropriate in contrast to the parables and creation story. Simple but with meaning outweighing the words.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:39 AM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

I've been listening to tool since 92 and I like the song. The hardcore fuck you stuff was good at the time, it still is. THis song may seem simple lyrically but in conjuring Judeochristian beliefs (angels, Father, Eden) it seems appropriate in contrast to the parables and creation story. Simple but with meaning outweighing the words.
05-03-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofMAkkinen

He rhymed "amused" with "confused".

Kill me now.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #50
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofMAkkinen

He rhymed "amused" with "confused".

Kill me now.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
jiesus
05-03-2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger#44213
I do like the song, but i agree that maynards lyrics are becoming too simple. now I dont really have a problem with that, but the legions of morons who are going to like "only the new stuff" because they understand is gonna suck...Im going to have to be at the concert in close proximity to these human versions of the lowest common denominator...

Maybe I'm over reacting, but i agree with the first post...convince them to kill themselves
or perhaps the song is taken to another level of understanding, where people like you are too "moronic" to understand. so in fact all YOU are getting is the lowest common denominator of the song and not the sort of insight or enlightenment that, maybe one not quite as pompous, would be able to gather and appreciate.

just stating an opposing arguement, not necessarily my own

it's always fair to be unbiased

ps.
intelligence is not something that is timeless or tangible, so one shouldn't wave it over his or her head and assume superiority.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:51 AM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger#44213
I do like the song, but i agree that maynards lyrics are becoming too simple. now I dont really have a problem with that, but the legions of morons who are going to like "only the new stuff" because they understand is gonna suck...Im going to have to be at the concert in close proximity to these human versions of the lowest common denominator...

Maybe I'm over reacting, but i agree with the first post...convince them to kill themselves
or perhaps the song is taken to another level of understanding, where people like you are too "moronic" to understand. so in fact all YOU are getting is the lowest common denominator of the song and not the sort of insight or enlightenment that, maybe one not quite as pompous, would be able to gather and appreciate.

just stating an opposing arguement, not necessarily my own

it's always fair to be unbiased

ps.
intelligence is not something that is timeless or tangible, so one shouldn't wave it over his or her head and assume superiority.
05-03-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:

it's better than them writing a my chemical romance type of slit my wrists emo song :)
Old 05-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #52
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

it's better than them writing a my chemical romance type of slit my wrists emo song :)
clintpatty
05-03-2006, 11:38 AM

If we assume that there is no other meaning and that this is one of Tool's simplest songs, that may still be intentional and good. The whole album has a more metal feel than the others and has much about death. The last real song on the album is a simple song with a simple message. The humans who choose not to move beyond the fighting and dividing are also focusing on more simple parts of life. Maybe it is the last track and this simple as a call to move beyond such simplicity as rage/dividing/these simple lyrics/etc in our own lives.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #53
Level 2 - Poster

If we assume that there is no other meaning and that this is one of Tool's simplest songs, that may still be intentional and good. The whole album has a more metal feel than the others and has much about death. The last real song on the album is a simple song with a simple message. The humans who choose not to move beyond the fighting and dividing are also focusing on more simple parts of life. Maybe it is the last track and this simple as a call to move beyond such simplicity as rage/dividing/these simple lyrics/etc in our own lives.
oneequalszero
05-03-2006, 12:51 PM

If I may...

It's true that the lyrics are (or seem) pretty straightforward, and that is kind of disappointing, but I don't think that's the real problem. The issue is that the lyrics really aren't that original, the theme of the song is very cliche and worn out. The advantage to the complex, deep lyrics is just that, in the process of winding the meaning out of them, you can often pull something you've never thought about out of all the metaphor and subtlety. So I'd say its fine if Maynard wants to write straightforward lyrics, but I'd rather that if he's gonna tell me something simply, he tells me something I don't know.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #54
Level 2 - Poster

If I may...

It's true that the lyrics are (or seem) pretty straightforward, and that is kind of disappointing, but I don't think that's the real problem. The issue is that the lyrics really aren't that original, the theme of the song is very cliche and worn out. The advantage to the complex, deep lyrics is just that, in the process of winding the meaning out of them, you can often pull something you've never thought about out of all the metaphor and subtlety. So I'd say its fine if Maynard wants to write straightforward lyrics, but I'd rather that if he's gonna tell me something simply, he tells me something I don't know.
1218JAKOB
05-03-2006, 01:09 PM

Hmmm...I think that any artist worth his weight in opinion cannot deny through his art the events that currently unfold around us. For Maynard to write a toungue in cheek song about humanity (using Darwinism as his base-ie; the Monkey) then I applaud him and the band. More people need to raise the red flag. Maybe the critics here need to realize that Maynard and Co. are "Thinking For Themselves - and Questioning Authority" through this song.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #55
Level 3 - Talker

Hmmm...I think that any artist worth his weight in opinion cannot deny through his art the events that currently unfold around us. For Maynard to write a toungue in cheek song about humanity (using Darwinism as his base-ie; the Monkey) then I applaud him and the band. More people need to raise the red flag. Maybe the critics here need to realize that Maynard and Co. are "Thinking For Themselves - and Questioning Authority" through this song.
HappySlave's Avatar HappySlave
05-03-2006, 01:26 PM

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller.

In regards to the argument surrounding "straightforward lyrics" being unTOOL and we accept this premise as being true, I place on the table the following unTOOL songs: Hush, Cold & Ugly, Crawl Away, Intolerance, Bottom, etc, etc. Given the early nature of these songs, can we not say that major parts of Opiate and Undertow are, therefore, unTOOL. Of course not. The absurdity of that conclusion is paradoxical. The esoteric and, dare I say, histrionic, nature of the lyrics on Aenema and Lateralus fit the context of the overall album. This appears to not be that sort of album, so overly figurative lyrics might have been self defeating. But then again, maybe some fans view the lyrics of the aforementioned songs to be multi-layered and that is fine, as the nature of most things in this reality is subjective. One man's "The Pot" is another’s "Undertow."

Or maybe the band noticed that the apparent IQs of the general TOOL concert goers has declined and in order to reach them they had to bring the lyrical content down from off of 11. Snoogans.

Ooooooooo! I guess I just broke my own cherry. I have to change the sheets now.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #56
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller.

In regards to the argument surrounding "straightforward lyrics" being unTOOL and we accept this premise as being true, I place on the table the following unTOOL songs: Hush, Cold & Ugly, Crawl Away, Intolerance, Bottom, etc, etc. Given the early nature of these songs, can we not say that major parts of Opiate and Undertow are, therefore, unTOOL. Of course not. The absurdity of that conclusion is paradoxical. The esoteric and, dare I say, histrionic, nature of the lyrics on Aenema and Lateralus fit the context of the overall album. This appears to not be that sort of album, so overly figurative lyrics might have been self defeating. But then again, maybe some fans view the lyrics of the aforementioned songs to be multi-layered and that is fine, as the nature of most things in this reality is subjective. One man's "The Pot" is another’s "Undertow."

Or maybe the band noticed that the apparent IQs of the general TOOL concert goers has declined and in order to reach them they had to bring the lyrical content down from off of 11. Snoogans.

Ooooooooo! I guess I just broke my own cherry. I have to change the sheets now.
05-03-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay
I also hate Tool fans who quote Tool songs on forums. You should think for yourself and question authority.

Quote:
"Hey hey we're the Monkees 'cause people say we monkey around..."

i smell quotage and hypocrisy.

ps: i'm a chick
Old 05-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #57
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I also hate Tool fans who quote Tool songs on forums. You should think for yourself and question authority.

Quote:
"Hey hey we're the Monkees 'cause people say we monkey around..."

i smell quotage and hypocrisy.

ps: i'm a chick
Rooney eats it
05-03-2006, 09:42 PM

the optimistic years... being??
"Fuck yourself, kill yourself,you piece of shit."?
"when you're a stupid,dumb ass, beligerant fucker."?
"Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA. The only way to fix it is to flush it all away."?

ahh yes, the good years
Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #58
Level 4 - Thinker

"Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA. The only way to fix it is to flush it all away."?

ahh yes, the good years
NowisMytimE's Avatar NowisMytimE
05-03-2006, 09:52 PM

Keep in mind that Maynards been working on his winery im sure at the same time as these lyrics may have been written... A little "wine tasting" and some discovery channel and there you have it. His lyrics may be a bit simple or bland, but his point is what should be looked at. All of us here are monkeys. fighting over his words, the songs, the album..i wonder how that wine tastes.

[in union breathe in union]

Last edited by NowisMytimE; 05-03-2006 at 09:54 PM..
Old 05-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

Keep in mind that Maynards been working on his winery im sure at the same time as these lyrics may have been written... A little "wine tasting" and some discovery channel and there you have it. His lyrics may be a bit simple or bland, but his point is what should be looked at. All of us here are monkeys. fighting over his words, the songs, the album..i wonder how that wine tastes.

[in union breathe in union]

Last edited by NowisMytimE; 05-03-2006 at 09:54 PM..
watchdog46
05-04-2006, 06:30 AM

Probably one of the best things I have ever heard.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Why dont we talk about the amazing tubla solo?

Probably one of the best things I have ever heard.
EulogyCallinMe's Avatar EulogyCallinMe
05-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
yeah, maynard should write more "humanity is awesome" songs like aenema
ha!
"Am I a pretty girl?"
Old 05-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #61
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563

Quote:
ha!
"Am I a pretty girl?"
Blinky
05-04-2006, 02:07 PM

I love this song.

I think it deals with the fact that we literally are "talking monkeys", in the same evolutionary clade as great apes and monkeys. We happened to descend with gradually larger brains, speech and culture because selection favored it. I think the song is saying its ironic that even though we are the first species to develop complex technology and amass huge knowledge about the natural world, we continue to believe that pieces of the ground are more important than each other. We use our knowledge to make weapons capable of eradicating us and much of life on earth if used.

That is what I took from it, I think it highlights the need to change (evolve? 46 & 2 ahead of you? Just a thought), and what many have thought all along. There is everything right with this song.

Greatest band.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

I love this song.

I think it deals with the fact that we literally are "talking monkeys", in the same evolutionary clade as great apes and monkeys. We happened to descend with gradually larger brains, speech and culture because selection favored it. I think the song is saying its ironic that even though we are the first species to develop complex technology and amass huge knowledge about the natural world, we continue to believe that pieces of the ground are more important than each other. We use our knowledge to make weapons capable of eradicating us and much of life on earth if used.

That is what I took from it, I think it highlights the need to change (evolve? 46 & 2 ahead of you? Just a thought), and what many have thought all along. There is everything right with this song.

Greatest band.
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
05-04-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
This is why I come here.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #63
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

Quote:
This is why I come here.
FalloutMan
05-04-2006, 07:44 PM

Actually, its most commonly believed, that humans branched off from primates by evolving the trait of Bi-Pedalism, not the development of more complex brains. How that relates at all? I don't know but seeing everyone talking about us being evolving brains in the context people are using it just rots my brain.

Also I've come to the conclusion that this entire album is about Jane Goodall, and this song is about her studying of primate societies. I mean it makes sense, it synches to her national geographic special.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

Actually, its most commonly believed, that humans branched off from primates by evolving the trait of Bi-Pedalism, not the development of more complex brains. How that relates at all? I don't know but seeing everyone talking about us being evolving brains in the context people are using it just rots my brain.

Also I've come to the conclusion that this entire album is about Jane Goodall, and this song is about her studying of primate societies. I mean it makes sense, it synches to her national geographic special.
Shmooove's Avatar Shmooove
05-04-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneequalszero
If I may...

IMO, art/music is not necessarily about giving people something they don't know, but phrasing it in a way that may be a fresh approach to how you view it. Personally I see this song in a very beautiful light, with some typical MJK lyrical stabs ("Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability, To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here") and some powerful and intense music behind it. The collection of the 2 gives me, while not necessarily an original take on the subject, a fresh, culturally and historically pertinent view on our current world (think creationism, war, spirituality, environmentalism).

And going beyond the minutia of lyrical inspection, the song is rather pleasant to the ears.
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #65
Level 3 - Talker

Location: Sitting on top of a lonely mountain in the middle of a frozen desert, dreaming of a beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneequalszero
If I may...

IMO, art/music is not necessarily about giving people something they don't know, but phrasing it in a way that may be a fresh approach to how you view it. Personally I see this song in a very beautiful light, with some typical MJK lyrical stabs ("Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability, To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here") and some powerful and intense music behind it. The collection of the 2 gives me, while not necessarily an original take on the subject, a fresh, culturally and historically pertinent view on our current world (think creationism, war, spirituality, environmentalism).

And going beyond the minutia of lyrical inspection, the song is rather pleasant to the ears.
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

Sir Winston Churchill
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
"The only way to fix it is to flush it all away"

...yeah, Aenima is so complex in its meaning compared to Right In Two
Old 05-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #66
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
"The only way to fix it is to flush it all away"

...yeah, Aenima is so complex in its meaning compared to Right In Two
05-04-2006, 08:42 PM

Quote:
hey, i'm a true fan who downloaded the leak, listened to it for a week and a half.. i didn't listen to it from friday til today so i could approach it with fresh ears when i purchased it, WHICH I DID.

alright, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked.. back to how maynard needs to return to the optimism of his former years.
I siphoned the leak as quickly as I could, and somehow managed to avoid listening for nearly 48 hours before a legit copy was in my bitchin' Corolla's CD player...

Maynard and optimism...Such frivolity is the province of the young...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #67
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
hey, i'm a true fan who downloaded the leak, listened to it for a week and a half.. i didn't listen to it from friday til today so i could approach it with fresh ears when i purchased it, WHICH I DID.

alright, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked.. back to how maynard needs to return to the optimism of his former years.
I siphoned the leak as quickly as I could, and somehow managed to avoid listening for nearly 48 hours before a legit copy was in my bitchin' Corolla's CD player...

Maynard and optimism...Such frivolity is the province of the young...
detomasso
05-04-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky
That is what I took from it, I think it highlights the need to change (evolve? 46 & 2 ahead of you? Just a thought), and what many have thought all along. There is everything right with this song..
As it builds toward climax, it certainly reminds one of Forty-Six & 2 (6:35 to 6:59)...I do not believe this to be unintentional...Nothing these gentlemen do is...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #68
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky
That is what I took from it, I think it highlights the need to change (evolve? 46 & 2 ahead of you? Just a thought), and what many have thought all along. There is everything right with this song..
As it builds toward climax, it certainly reminds one of Forty-Six & 2 (6:35 to 6:59)...I do not believe this to be unintentional...Nothing these gentlemen do is...
Archaeologist's Avatar Archaeologist
05-05-2006, 02:01 AM

Quote:

Dude, do you actually like music or do just like feeling intelligent? Everyone evolves including Tool. Get over yourself!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:01 AM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Dude, do you actually like music or do just like feeling intelligent? Everyone evolves including Tool. Get over yourself!
05-05-2006, 04:36 AM

Quote:

OMG I LIKE TO LOOK COOL BY ESPOUSING MY OPINIONS WHICH MAKE ME FEEL SUPERFICIALLY DIFFERENT

The Lux Ferous and Steam Noire.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:36 AM   #70
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

OMG I LIKE TO LOOK COOL BY ESPOUSING MY OPINIONS WHICH MAKE ME FEEL SUPERFICIALLY DIFFERENT

The Lux Ferous and Steam Noire.
pscoop
05-05-2006, 10:22 AM

Has anyone considered the possibility that this may have been considered for the Curious George soundtrack? Damn that Jack Johnson..
Old 05-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #71
Level 3 - Talker

Has anyone considered the possibility that this may have been considered for the Curious George soundtrack? Damn that Jack Johnson..
davelisowski's Avatar davelisowski
05-05-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Like 2001 Space Odyssey? That's probably where he got the idea.
Yes, and that's the stone he's talking about in "The Intension." The giant obelisk which leads monkeys to war.

Then you ride the space ship in "Viginti Tres."

It's all quite logical. The band watched 2001 high, and wrote an album about it... I can't wait to post this more elaborate theory later.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #72
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Like 2001 Space Odyssey? That's probably where he got the idea.
Yes, and that's the stone he's talking about in "The Intension." The giant obelisk which leads monkeys to war.

Then you ride the space ship in "Viginti Tres."

It's all quite logical. The band watched 2001 high, and wrote an album about it... I can't wait to post this more elaborate theory later.
11Reflections11's Avatar 11Reflections11
05-05-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium
this song should have been more of a "fuck you" than an "oh why"...
I jsut got done reading the interview in Revolver and they say themselves this is more of the blues album rather than the open-your-third-eye type of songs they've been writing. Maynard talks about his disgust with the American Political Beast. These lyrics are inspirational, they brake human problems down to the most basic.

Monkey Killing Monkey Over Land. Human History in a nutshell?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium
this song should have been more of a "fuck you" than an "oh why"...
I jsut got done reading the interview in Revolver and they say themselves this is more of the blues album rather than the open-your-third-eye type of songs they've been writing. Maynard talks about his disgust with the American Political Beast. These lyrics are inspirational, they brake human problems down to the most basic.

Monkey Killing Monkey Over Land. Human History in a nutshell?
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
05-05-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney eats it

ahh yes, the good years
sorry, i was trying out this new thing that the kids are doing called "sarcasm".. i apologize for the confusion.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #74
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney eats it

ahh yes, the good years
sorry, i was trying out this new thing that the kids are doing called "sarcasm".. i apologize for the confusion.
05-05-2006, 10:02 PM

i think one thing a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that a lot of times in the past maynard has put the interpretation of a song simple but with anoher meaning in the song, or in the case of Aenima and Lateralus in particular it mixes in with the essence of the entire album
Old 05-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #75
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

i think one thing a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that a lot of times in the past maynard has put the interpretation of a song simple but with anoher meaning in the song, or in the case of Aenima and Lateralus in particular it mixes in with the essence of the entire album
Agenda's Avatar Agenda
05-05-2006, 10:29 PM

God forbid maynard write lyrics or poetry that are different then we expect. oh the horror! Personally I think these lyrics fit rather well. Its just something different, little else he's still the best poet on the planet for my money. By the way anyone that thinks "think for your self"....... is qouting tool should really go listen to a man named Tim. And by the same turn if you think your qouting tool by saying that you need to pull your head out of your ass.

Spiral out.

hehe
Old 05-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #76
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

God forbid maynard write lyrics or poetry that are different then we expect. oh the horror! Personally I think these lyrics fit rather well. Its just something different, little else he's still the best poet on the planet for my money. By the way anyone that thinks "think for your self"....... is qouting tool should really go listen to a man named Tim. And by the same turn if you think your qouting tool by saying that you need to pull your head out of your ass.

Spiral out.

hehe
05-05-2006, 11:26 PM

I think this song is mostly about the Jews. Okay, so he makes some reference to the Moslems. But it's pretty much all there. If you had hope, fuck you.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #77
Level 2 - Poster

I think this song is mostly about the Jews. Okay, so he makes some reference to the Moslems. But it's pretty much all there. If you had hope, fuck you.
MisterMudd's Avatar MisterMudd
05-05-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
This is the only song where I'm a little "come on..." with the lyrics.

Silly monkeys? Maynard usually has an amazing way with wordsand rhythm, but I really don't like the contrast of the words to the music in Right in Two. If Right in Two has incredible lyrics, it would help the song a lot.
This song is sang through the preception of "Angels on the Sidelines". Think about how this world would be viewed from an outsiders perspective (silly monkeys overly concerned with petty shit, pretty silly when you think about it)...

I also think that the reference to monkeys may also have something to do with stating that creationism and evolution theory really have nothing that contradicts each other.

But hey, you guys are right... This song is too straight foreward, not cryptic like "Hooker with a Penis"... Or better yet, maybe MJK is not as pretentious as many of you hope.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #78
Just Some Dude (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
This is the only song where I'm a little "come on..." with the lyrics.

Silly monkeys? Maynard usually has an amazing way with wordsand rhythm, but I really don't like the contrast of the words to the music in Right in Two. If Right in Two has incredible lyrics, it would help the song a lot.
This song is sang through the preception of "Angels on the Sidelines". Think about how this world would be viewed from an outsiders perspective (silly monkeys overly concerned with petty shit, pretty silly when you think about it)...

I also think that the reference to monkeys may also have something to do with stating that creationism and evolution theory really have nothing that contradicts each other.

But hey, you guys are right... This song is too straight foreward, not cryptic like "Hooker with a Penis"... Or better yet, maybe MJK is not as pretentious as many of you hope.
HateSolstice
05-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I would like to know how so many people think that this was a clever comment. Seriously, it wasn't THAT great or funny.

Secondly, I don't see what's wrong with this album. It would seem to me that Tool's fans are broken into two sides; sounds to me like a political jerk-circle.

On the one side, you have the insane, adoring fans that think EVERY little snippet that comes out of Tool's poop-shoot is pure genius. Sorry, but no. Third Eye was not that outstanding or "kick you in the nuts". And no, there are several songs on Ænima that aren't "hard core heavy metal". Eulogy, H, jimmy. Lateralus was a briliant and more mature album, but that doesn't make it better. And honestly, I didn't find most of Undertow's music all that great. The couple songs, Prison Sex, Sober, and The Swamp Song were about it. And don't get me started on any of the "intermission" style tracks that are just random noises, phonecalls, and movie clips. But I can see how they are pure masterpieces!

Anyway, on the other hand we have the "hard core" crowd, who seems to think that Tool hasn't been cool since Ænima. Again, you're a fucking moron. Grow up and learn to appreciate real talent. Not every song produced by these guys has to be just like Stinkfist, Prison Sex, or Ænema, or even Forty-Six & 2(one of my personal favorites too). Do you really want to see these guys get stuck in the same rut as The Offspring, where every song is "Pretty Fly for a White Guy"? I didn't think so.

Look, I love these guys just as much as anyone, but I will not allow myself to fall under either one of these categories. I think this album is very good, I just wish it had more songs on it, and less 12 minute instrumentals. I don't think there is a single song on there that is less than aroud the 7 minute mark. But I will admit I don't want to see another Undertow or Opiate. Tool is better than that, especially now.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #79
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I would like to know how so many people think that this was a clever comment. Seriously, it wasn't THAT great or funny.

Secondly, I don't see what's wrong with this album. It would seem to me that Tool's fans are broken into two sides; sounds to me like a political jerk-circle.

On the one side, you have the insane, adoring fans that think EVERY little snippet that comes out of Tool's poop-shoot is pure genius. Sorry, but no. Third Eye was not that outstanding or "kick you in the nuts". And no, there are several songs on Ænima that aren't "hard core heavy metal". Eulogy, H, jimmy. Lateralus was a briliant and more mature album, but that doesn't make it better. And honestly, I didn't find most of Undertow's music all that great. The couple songs, Prison Sex, Sober, and The Swamp Song were about it. And don't get me started on any of the "intermission" style tracks that are just random noises, phonecalls, and movie clips. But I can see how they are pure masterpieces!

Anyway, on the other hand we have the "hard core" crowd, who seems to think that Tool hasn't been cool since Ænima. Again, you're a fucking moron. Grow up and learn to appreciate real talent. Not every song produced by these guys has to be just like Stinkfist, Prison Sex, or Ænema, or even Forty-Six & 2(one of my personal favorites too). Do you really want to see these guys get stuck in the same rut as The Offspring, where every song is "Pretty Fly for a White Guy"? I didn't think so.

Look, I love these guys just as much as anyone, but I will not allow myself to fall under either one of these categories. I think this album is very good, I just wish it had more songs on it, and less 12 minute instrumentals. I don't think there is a single song on there that is less than aroud the 7 minute mark. But I will admit I don't want to see another Undertow or Opiate. Tool is better than that, especially now.
05-07-2006, 10:45 PM

besides the handful of decent comments this forum is cracking me up (literally.. out loud) with all the ignorance it holds.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #80
Level 4 - Thinker

besides the handful of decent comments this forum is cracking me up (literally.. out loud) with all the ignorance it holds.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply