opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #121
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDegree View Post
Holy Shit!! Yes! You did say Hi! I was the dude in the Hat. The guy wearing the long sleeve shirt underneath His tool Shirt was My little brother. Do you rememer us?

I think you said hi after We were cracking jokes on Isis. You told Us that you heard they were pretty good? They were.. but they're no Tool, thats for sure! :P The Natural High is amazing, and very addictive. Sorry If we bugged you girls with our dancing and singing.. but I doubt you could hear Me because I could barely hear myself. If you did though, I apologize!

Also, did you notice the guys sitting to the left of us lit a joint during Lateralus.. I think it was? Besides the fact that they were smoking, I wanted to nudge them on the shoulder and say.. hey guys.. your missing precious seconds of one of the best concerts ever.. But I didnt want to miss any of it, Myself ^.^

Edit: I am glad that I did not get floor seats. Our seats were perfect. I'm a short guy, heh.. and even if I would have -stood- on My seat on the floor.. I wouldnt have seen anything. Basically.. The seat couldnt have been any better, in My opinion.

Yes,

I do remember you now! :D Every fan in the entire Verizon Ctr. was dancing, singing, screaming, and having a mind blowing time at the show, myself included.
You were just having a great time and expressing your love of the band/music. Nothing wrong with that. Thats what going to see a live Tool show should be like. I was so blown away on the crowd reaction, and I even think it rubbed off a bit on Maynard in a positive way. He certainly interacted more with the DC crowd, then has been mentioned regarding previous show reviews on the tour.
I apologize for having to get out of my seat once or twice by climbing over the back. I was sort of locked into the middle of the row, and tried to find the easiest escape route, so I'm sorry if I invade your space in any way. Yes, I did notice (smell) some indulging going around too. It was a bit distracting but expected. I am very happy that I had seats in stands, and not on floor. You are right about having good view of band from our vantage point.
This was the best concert experience I have ever had, and cannot wait for Tool's return. Who knows, maybe we will be neighbors again at another Tool show. Stranger shit has happened, like crossing each others path here on TDN!

peace ; )
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #122
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
actually i think the volume of the effect he was trying to use for the solo was set too low.
I have a little bit of video of that part and that is exactly what happened. You can barely hear the guitar after he hits that pedal and then once he bends over and messes with the pedal you can hear the guitar at the right volume.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #123
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarot View Post
My first Tool concert (only the third concert of any kind I've ever been to), and it was great. I guess I was in the minority to be rocked back on my heels early by Forty-Six & 2 and Jambi. The rest was fantastic, but that was the peak for me. The rosy glow of all those lighters while the guys took a breather tickled me no end, though. I was really glad to hear Rosetta Stoned live. The acoustics didn't seem the greatest from section 120, especially while Isis was down there. I felt like the drummer was jabbing his sticks into my eardrums every time he hit his snare. But they sounded okay, and I'd be willing to give their stuff a listen.

Hope like hell Tool will be in VA Beach or Richmond sometime, but if I can make it to another show, I will. I'll even take my twelve-year-old daughter next time, since the fans seemed pretty well-behaved. She was disappointed I didn't take her this time.

The drummer for Isis played really really hard. He banged the hell out of the skins.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #124
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbaz View Post
Pictures and videos from DC can be found here.....

http://www.geocities.com/cwbaz/

And yes, more pics of Danny's drum head that I caught!!!

My best show Ever!!!http://stashbox.org/699/t8.jpg

Awesome, thanks...some of those videos were from my angle in 110. You can guarantee people will always talk during Wings/10K...it's just one of those songs. It wasn't too bad where I was, but there was a lady yapping away behind me. At the end of you last vid, you can hear some guy say, "Shut Up!"
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #125
Level 1 - Lurker

Being my 9th Tool show, I think I can say that this was a great show no doubt. The lights, the lighters, the set list, the stage, the crowd...all very awesome. But really, come on. Have you people never been to any other shows by any other bands? "The best show ever" is pretty lame considering the bands that are out there. You people need to get out more...seriously.

And Isis fcukin rocked. Though I still have my original Tool shirt from Lalapalooza 93, I couldn't pass up the gold Isis "bug" shirt. Plus, I will be the only one around here wearing it, unlike all the lameass folks with the "cool Tool concert tshirt."

Peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #126
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post

And Isis fcukin rocked. I couldn't pass up the gold Isis "bug" shirt. Plus, I will be the only one around here wearing it, unlike all the lameass folks with the "cool Tool concert tshirt."

Peace.
That's their Mosquito Control shirt.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #127
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
But really, come on. Have you people never been to any other shows by any other bands? "The best show ever" is pretty lame considering the bands that are out there. You people need to get out more...seriously.
Peace.
I've seen countless bands live and I still consider this show to be the best I've been to. It was honestly a really great show and other people are going to differ on opinion. Not a big deal
Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #128
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkabajung View Post
I've seen countless bands live and I still consider this show to be the best I've been to. It was honestly a really great show and other people are going to differ on opinion. Not a big deal
Yeah, that's cool. I don't mean to start anything stupid but when someone says that it was the best show they have ever been to, I wonder what shows that person has really seen.

I mean, this concert in no way compares to the Pink Floyd show at Carter Finley Stadium in NC in 1994. It also couldn't hold the jockstrap of the U2 Joshua Tree show at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit MI in 1987 (imagine 80,000+ people with lighters singing "40" as U2 walked off stage. Damn, I have goosebumps even now...).

It possibly may, however, be the best show if all one has to compare it to is something by Dave Matthews or 311 or Marilyn Manson or (god forbid) the Rolling Stones.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #129
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
I was wondering if you knew it was her, but figured you had known and was being modest.

www.spiraleyes.com
I had an idea that it was her, but even if I had known for sure, it wouldn't have changed anything. I was just genuinely enjoying her dog, and talking about dogs for a bit (speaking of, my pooch Nacho is slobbering on my laptop!)

I felt weird about even posting it in the first place. Wasn't trying to brag, just thought I'd share the moment. My excitement got the best of me. I apologize.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #130
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienoar View Post
I saw the DC show (flew up from FL just to see TOOL and ISIS play together), and I have to say that although the band played very well, I was a little disappointed in the direction the band have taken their live shows. I first saw Tool back in '96 on Aenima tour, then Ozzfest 98, then 4 times on the Lateralus tour, and then in DC last weekend. I have to say that I do not like the seated floor, although I am not a big fan of moshing per se, I like the freedom to move around, dance, whatever, and not be confined to one small assigned area. However, I can handle assigned seating. What bothers me is the lack of inclusion of older material in their sets, and the fact that they rarely change the setlist. With such a great back catalog, you would think that an occasional Intolerance, Jerk Off, Hush, 4 Degrees, etc. would slip its way into the set just to mix things up a bit. I don't really buy the "It takes a million years to program the videos" explanation. I think the band just does not enjoy playing in a live setting as much as they used to -- face it, they are all pushing 40. the same things do not excite them, and I feel some of the passion has gone out of things. I like 10,00 days, and it was great to hear some of those songs played live, but the band seems to really not want to do any kind of variety. I could understand if they did not want to play pre-Justin material, but that does not explain why they have only played Stinkfist and Aenema off of the Aenima album for every single show out of the last 4 times I have seen them since 2001. Why no third Eye or Eulogy? i love those songs.

Plus I thought the stage set up wwas more dazzling for the Lateralus tour. Anyway, these are just some minor disappointments I have been feeling about the band's live shows.

On the other hand, Jambi and 10,000 Days sound fantastic live. I just wish the guys would show a little more interest in the non-singles from previous albums and show a little variety/diversity already!!

I agree with you 100%. IMHO TOOL is still by far the best band to go and see thoughin the 6 times i have seen them, spanning 10 years, this show was a bit of a dissappointment. I saw 3 shows on the Lateralus tour and they got better and better and figured that this would blow my mind. Jambi fucking rocked, as did Vicarious and The Pot but for some reason i felt slightly hollow. The trip (drove from Charlotte) and show were still worth ever penny and the Hampton Inn was surprisingly nice.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 03:59 AM   #131
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt awesome View Post
I have a little bit of video of that part and that is exactly what happened. You can barely hear the guitar after he hits that pedal and then once he bends over and messes with the pedal you can hear the guitar at the right volume.

Yea, I only know because I seem to do that often when I'm playing with effects. Damn cats always bump my pedals and move the knobs, so I had to set the knobs then cover them with packing tape so they don't move. LOL
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 05:26 AM   #132
Level 1 - Lurker

http://metrodistortion.blogspot.com/...hope-this.html

Tons of pictures here, including the actual time that the pictures were taken, the lighter moment with Justin (you can actually see four silhouettes on stage) and some solid shots from the end of the show. We were sitting in Section 104, Row D. My buddy got kicked out for taking pictures, meanwhile the guys to our left, right and behind us were getting high as kites, smoking the whole show. Kind of funny when you think about it...you get kicked out for taking pictures without a flash, but you can smoke all the dope you want. No worries, another great performance from a great band. Here's a taste: http://stashbox.org/826/10.29.09http://stashbox.org/827/10.47.32
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #133
Level 2 - Poster

This was the third time that I have seen Tool, and of course... THEY OWNED. I really enjoyed the set they played even though my seats were a little iffy up in section 419. My sis won the tickets from DC101 before tickets even went on sale. So people be warned. Radio shows don't necessarily hook you up. And to the guy that won front row tickets from DC101...You lucky, lucky bastard! Next time I will be there. Anyway, Tool opened the show with some of my all time favorite songs. This show was a little different than their other shows in that this really the first time that I've seen Maynard really out there. He's normally been back in the shadows singing wearing his underwear. It was kind of nice to see him this time but he still didn't stand front and center. Bravo to you for that, Maynard. Well, Bravo to you for a whole hell of a lot more than that, but I am so damn tired of the lead singer trying to upstage his band. Tool are obviously all equals in the band or at least that's what it says to me. But it is curious about how MJK is more visable. Why is that I wonder.

I thought that Verizon arena blew. What the fuck is up with the Sphincter Police in that place???!! My sister and I got busted twice for trying to hit a jay there. It's a rock concert dammit. That's what goes on. I've never been to an venue that was so uptight and you hear me on this one Soulisshaking!! Step the fuck off people.

The lasers were so totally sweet, Junior. You're the man.

Does anybody know what was up with the people in the Lab coats? I'm assuming that Junior was back behind Danny. What exactly was he doing back there? I couldn't see from where I was sitting.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #134
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
I

What better thing to advertise than the art that has changed your life? Seems to me, if the music, film, painting, poetry has a fundamental effect on your human experience, you might want to share that with others (and indirectly give them the same gift).
I kinda get your point but I have to agree. It's pretty retarded to wear the band's shirt to the concert. CLEARLY if you're there...... you're a fan. You don't need to wear the same shirt that everybody else is to prove anything. I was rocking in out in section 419 in something more original :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #135
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaduceusVino View Post
I kinda get your point but I have to agree. It's pretty retarded to wear the band's shirt to the concert. CLEARLY if you're there...... you're a fan. You don't need to wear the same shirt that everybody else is to prove anything. I was rocking in out in section 419 in something more original :)
I was in 103 doing and wearing the same. ;-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #136
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

yea i got a major lol out of the HORDES of people wearing tool shirts. I mean cmon....you like the band, we get it...its kinda lame to wear the shirt to their concert...but thats just me...

dammit, i just realized something else. I skipped ISIS 's set to go eat dinner. came in at the last song. Just downlaoded some of their stuff, and dammit I LIKE IT....crap
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #137
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Does anybody know what was up with the people in the Lab coats? I'm assuming that Junior was back behind Danny. What exactly was he doing back there? I couldn't see from where I was sitting.
Junior's in the back of the arena working the lighting board, where the sound, laser, video guys are also all working. The guys in the white lab coats are the roadies... Danny's drum tech, Adam and Justin's guitar techs, etc. I've heard it theorized that the white lab coats are to better reflect the lighting when they have to go up on stage to help the guys out, but really I have no idea... Sure does look neat, though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #138
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I only saw the guys in lab coats once, and that was right before Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. My immediate thoughts were that they were wearing them because they were relevant to those two songs. (ie, hospital dialogue in "Keys", and the whole Area 51 nature of Rosetta Stoned)
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: