opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 01-28-2003, 05:44 PM   #1
hookers and peanuts

Bincount™: 5403
Tool's MENSA society

I feel the need to state how incredibly impressed and amazed I am at the incredible intelligence, maturity and depth of this web page and its contributors. It just reaffirms a fact that I have long known to be true. Tool fans are some of the most enlightened people I have ever had the privilege to meet.

I was speaking with a fellow Toolophile the other day, and he stated that one either "gets" Tool or not. There seems to be a general disposition amongst us, one that allows us to see, feel, and hear what others cannot. I am often frustrated when my attempts to turn my friends on to Tool prove utterly futile. When i'm with my Tool buddies and we're at a concert or just listening to their music, there is that shared, unspoken vibe that states...I GET IT!

Now that we have this wonderful place to visit, I'll never again feel alone. I'm part of a fellowship.

The question is...DO YOU GET IT?
If so, please elaborate...:)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30
yeah, but I want you to know I really fucking hate you.
Well maybe not you, and maybe not hate, but goddamnit you suck. Once again, perhaps not you and perhaps not suck, but still, fuck [you]. I mean what the [hell] sir?
Now the question is: Do YOU get it?
Old 01-28-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
hookers and peanuts

Bincount™: 5403
Quote:
Originally posted by J1516
yeah, but I want you to know I really fucking hate you.
Well maybe not you, and maybe not hate, but goddamnit you suck. Once again, perhaps not you and perhaps not suck, but still, fuck [you]. I mean what the [hell] sir?
Now the question is: Do YOU get it?
Incredibly well stated, succinct and thought provoking stuff. It establishes that not everbody gets it and probably doesn't get any for that matter either (Hence the anger and frustration.)
Old 01-28-2003, 06:55 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
i get something . . .

i get some . . .

i get . . .

i . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 01-28-2003, 07:11 PM   #5
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
Actually there are a lot of dumbasses that like Tool.

I really don't think because you GET Tool it makes you enlightened, or a lot more inteligible than most other music fans.

Maybe they just like it because it's something you can rock to when you're stoned off your gourd. Somethings that makes them trip out.

You wouldn't expect it, but a lot of Jesus Freaks like Tool also, and somehow get a Jesus feeling out of the music.

I heard that the frontman of Creed is very much inspired by Tool's music, and he's a huge Jesus Freak.

It's just music man. But you do either GET it or you don't. You can still like something and not get it.

The reason a lot of people may not GET it, at first is because they are not use to Tool's sound. Most of the people these days with their one minute attention span couldn't possibly care for Tool because their mind has been raped by MTV and the radio.

Now do you GET it?
Old 01-28-2003, 07:15 PM   #6
Banned.

how about GET fucked? . . .

GET a grip? . . .

GET laid, ya dumbass? . . .

GET lateralus and listen to it right now? . . .

hee hee hee . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 01-28-2003, 07:57 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

I can usually tell if someone gets tool from the way they look, their age, and what music they listen to. Mostly what other music they listen to.
A guy who wears all black, has spiked hair, or perhaps no hair, is not likely to get tool. A 12 year old is not likely to get tool. Though some can.
And as for music. If someone says that their favorite albums other than tool are along the lines of Loveless, Pet Sounds, or Kid A, then they're a lot more likely to get it than someone who says Slayer, Pantera, Staind, Disturbed, or any nu-metal. Others are just up in the air, like NIN, Marylin manson, Queenstrych, The White Stripes, or any classic rock. Actually I think people that listne to The White Stripes and classic/new rock get it.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
I disagree with you, I hate The White Stripes, they sound like crap.

I have spikey hair. Though I don't wear all black, I'm about to just say the hell with Tommy Lee, Ralph Lauren, and other logo brand names I wear and advertise, and just go to Wal Mart and get me black shirts. There's not much of a choice in clothing, you're bound to wear something that'll label you this or that. If I just get a plain old comfortable black shirt I'm fine. I usually wear denim shorts or whatever or jean shorts. I live down south baby.

My hair isn't exactly spikey. It's just up, and messed up looking. I got sick of the same old haircut, and I don't know much about hair, so I just make it messy spikey look. Something pretty much original for my hair type. I use hair glue. I like to do something with my hair rather than leave it plain thank you.

I like A Perfect Circle, I like Smashing Pumpkins, though I only have Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness now, because I'm poor. Do I get it?
Old 01-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

no, you suck. I mean like lame/stupid/suck city, population: you
Old 01-29-2003, 07:12 PM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Quote:
I can usually tell if someone gets tool from the way they look, their age, and what music they listen to. Mostly what other music they listen to.
A guy who wears all black, has spiked hair, or perhaps no hair, is not likely to get tool. A 12 year old is not likely to get tool. Though some can.
And as for music. If someone says that their favorite albums other than tool are along the lines of Loveless, Pet Sounds, or Kid A, then they're a lot more likely to get it than someone who says Slayer, Pantera, Staind, Disturbed, or any nu-metal. Others are just up in the air, like NIN, Marylin manson, Queenstrych, The White Stripes, or any classic rock. Actually I think people that listne to The White Stripes and classic/new rock get it.
I can usually tell if someone is a moron by the stupid statments they make.

You my friend, are a moron and I'd be surprised if you "get" anything.

In fact anyone who talks about "getting" Tool is a fucking moron.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:31 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

I do get it, and as a matter of fact, everyone here "gets it" but we know people don't. And when you see a 12 year old goth with a Linkin Park shirt at a tool concert moshing I don't really think they "get it". Everyone who comes to this site, has joined, has even looked at this forum gets it. All the metal heads that go to this site get it, all the people who listen to anything here get it, and a lot of people that hate tool completely get it. The appearance thing was off, but I think you really can tell certain things about certain people based on the music that they listen to, though some of those things are way off. Though I don't care if anyone "gets it" as much as some people do. All you need to do is dig the music. I came to this part to insult people because naming this the Tool "MENSA" club seemed really pompous.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:38 PM   #12
Banned.

who cares if someone gets it or not? . . . if they keep listening, i bet they WILL eventually "get it" . . .

as long as theyre happy and dont say anything stupid about the band . . . thats what i think, anyway . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 01-29-2003, 09:30 PM   #13
(tdn supporter)

Bincount™: 1
this whole thing is ludicrous

Do you get it? Cause I get it. Get off it. Elitism is petty and juvenile. No disrespect meant to anyone who has posted so far, but this whole thread seems kind of pointless. So why am I contributing? Because I get it.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:39 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

pish posh, fuck all you fucking morons, can you not see that I am your intellectual superior? I completely get it, you fuckers need to bow the fuck down and start suckin because maybe when I blow my load you'll suck up some of the "tool intelligence" semen and start learning about the shit that really makes tool: Complex mathematical puzzles. I mean hey, who knew that Reflection was actually a calculus formula that described the full nature of self, oooh man he's a genius. Join our mensa and perhaps you'll stop being such fucking morons. Hey I think I'll be like you guys and listen to crap and think stupid thoughts. Or perhaps I will be like you guys and enjoy the "music" part when you're not getting the INTELLIGENCE part of the INTELLIGENCE stupids.
I think we know who the real tool fans are now: ME and not YOU FAGS!
Old 01-30-2003, 04:55 AM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 358
Er...

I think I'm going to cry.

So they built as men must build
With the sword in one hand and the trowel in the other.

T.S. Eliot.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:14 PM   #16
(tdn supporter)

J1516-
Do you feel better? I hope so. Get well soon.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #17
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
J1516,
Jesus, man. I had a problem with you before, but I overlooked your judgments and tried to make amends. But you are a complete ass. You want to talk about an elitist attitude, well, you surpass that by leaps and bounds. So what if people are new to the feeling of "getting it?" Do you remember how excited you were when you first "got it?" Or do you get it at all? Were you born with the knowledge you now possess? Because some of us were but the ones who were are usually a little more understanding than you. Part of progression is helping others do the same. Your condescending manner has overshadowed anything positive you have had to say on this board. You told me you couldn't take me seriously because I utilized the term "dope" to mean something good. Does this judgmental nature come naturally or does it require serious effort?

Either way, the white stripes and the strokes fucking blow. The songs are weak and the production is horrible. Go ahead and tell me I know nothing about music as you have done so many others. I'm just tired of this shit and am calling you out on it.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:13 PM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Completely fair, all of you, though allow me to rephrase what I said in a more clear way:

pish posh (JOKE!), fuck all you fucking morons (JOKE), can you not see that I am your intellectual superior (WITTY SATIRE ON BASTARDLY TOOL FANS)? I completely get it, you fuckers need to bow the fuck down and start suckin because maybe when I blow my load you'll suck up some of the "tool intelligence" semen (JOKE!) and start learning about the shit that really makes tool: Complex mathematical puzzles. I mean hey, who knew that Reflection was actually a calculus formula that described the full nature of self, oooh man he's a genius (JOKE!). Join our mensa and perhaps you'll stop being such fucking morons (ANOTHER JOKE). Hey I think I'll be like you guys and listen to crap and think stupid thoughts (hmm... I believe I smell a JOKE!). Or perhaps I will be like you guys and enjoy the "music" part when you're not getting the INTELLIGENCE part of the INTELLIGENCE stupids (JOKE!)
I think we know who the real tool fans are now: ME and not YOU FAGS! (hahaha, good ol J1516, what a character, great JOKE!)

And paraflux, you are not wrong, you like what you like, and that isn't wrong, anymore than saying that I like the strokes because I enjoy their music is wrong. We completely agree on all areas except what music we like.

Last edited by J1516; 01-30-2003 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-30-2003, 04:17 PM   #19
Human

Bincount™: 2
Arizona Bay

Toolbrothers and toolsisters, looks like we have Bill Hicks here.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:20 PM   #20
Banned.

i thought j1516 was funny . . .

it seems as though some among us are a little over sensitive . . . and thats cool . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 01-30-2003, 06:30 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I completely get it, you fuckers need to bow the fuck down and start suckin because maybe when I blow my load you'll suck up some of the "tool intelligence" semen (JOKE!)
That's to bad J1516 I was hoping to suck up some of that "tool intelligence" semen. :) But it turned out te be a joke.... I don't get it... ;)
and those who matter don't mind.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:18 AM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 24
J1516, I had something ready to say to you regarding some of your first few posts, but as I read through your follow-ups I got the feeling you are just being sarcastic. However I do want to point out that a person who listens to Slayer and Pantera are not "less likely" to "get" (for lack of a better word) Tool then someone who may listen to the bands you listen to you. Those two bands you mentioned are among the best to ever come out of heavy metal and I don't like the "class" you are putting them in. You may not like them, and that is fine, but they are two of my favorite bands and I think I "get" Tool just as much as anyone else on this board. I have an appreciation for many types of music, including Disturbed, which you also mentioned. I like some Nu-metal, including Disturbed, Korn, SOAD, Slipknot, Down, Stone Sour, Static X, etc. Not every type of music needs to be unbelievably deep to be good. I'm not putting any Nu-Metal bands in the same category as Tool, but they are good in their own way, even if it's just to bang your head. You can say what you want about the music you don't like, but please do not generalize the people who listen to these bands just because you don't care for them.

I realise the hypocracy of this post because I started off by saying I wasn't going to get into it, but I got a little offended at your assumption of heavy metal fans.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:15 PM   #23
(tdn supporter)

J1516-
The problem with the message board forum is that one cannot gauge body language or tone of voice without (shudder) using emoticons. I like sarcasm as much as the next guy, but it's difficult to get across, especially when a post is so good at mimicking what it is trying to dissect. I should have known you were being sarcastic, though, because there weren't any glaring grammatical or spelling errors. I have noticed that many of the posts that seem, how shall I put this, less thought out also include things like "their/they're/there" confusion.

I happen to like the Strokes and the White Stripes and Slayer and Pantera, so I don't see any reason why we can't all live in harmony. I think George W. Bush should divorce his wife and marry Al Sharpton, wouldn't that be swell? Then their little children would be super-politicians, able to wear gold medallions while giving tax breaks to the rich and mispronounce the word "nukular" (it's noo-kuh-lehr, not noo-kew-lehr) while going on a hunger strike. And...uh, what was I talking about? Oh, yeah, everybody shake your ass, now.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:00 AM   #24
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
I feel kind of foolish, I suppose. Although I dont fully know why someone would express themselves so, it doesnt matter. Just seemed unnecessarily caustic.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #25
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962
i don't know about tool, but i know ol' Brigthwell "gets" APC :D

/me hides from teh wrath of CB :D :D
Old 02-03-2003, 08:44 PM   #26

Bincount™: 5
I get it, I get it!!!!

can I be in your secret club now too?

what is it called?

ToolGetters?

IgetTool-ites

ToolUnderstandItIDos?
Old 02-04-2003, 08:29 AM   #27
The Burninator

Bincount™: 483
J1516
I'm sorry but if I suck up any tool semen It's not going to be yours. Although you are a complete Tool. <joke> Hahahahahahaha
Do YOU get it Baby.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:55 PM   #28
Banned.

Bincount™: 23
Hooray!

I'm smart!
Old 02-06-2003, 01:15 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37
stereotypes

Quote:

OK lets just bring out all the stereotypes now.... So lemme guess coz Im a 16 yo blonde who goes to an all girls catholic catholic school and is friends with all the "teenyboppers" I couldn't possibly ever get it could I *rolls eyes* It doesn't matter what you look like, what your age is, what you wear, who you hang out with, or even what other music you listen to I mean please i like to think i am pretty opened minded when it comes to music i will listen to nething and give it a try I cant beleive you people can be sooo closed minded sometimes. Isnt tool all about thinking for yourself and being open-minded? How can you be so quick to judge and condemn others. We all like tool its what brings us together its the thing we all have in common. So trying not to sound so corny cant we just accept each other for who we are?....... Ok im ready to be ripped to shreds by others now........

PS I "get" it

Last edited by normz; 02-06-2003 at 01:19 AM..
Old 02-06-2003, 10:24 AM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"I came to this part to insult people..."

I think this is where you took a wrong turn.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:20 PM   #31

Bincount™: 2
Normz, as much as I'd like to agree with you, the truth is that people DO judge others based on what they wear/listen to, who they hang out with, etc. And you can judge people with stereotypes (not all Mexicans are lazy dirty buggers, but some are;not all Italians are hairy crime kingpins, but some are; not all Irish are drunk and have red hair, but some do; not all black people steal things and are illiterate (sp?), but some do.). Is it the right thing to do? No. Do most people do it? Yes. Sexism, racism, ageism; no matter how "enlightened" we as a people think we are, we are not, and these things still exist. You simply have to be aware that you can be stereotyped, you can be classified. It is up to you how you choose to respond to that, however.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:00 PM   #32
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Hyatir, what you are saying makes sense and is 100% true. However, someone who posts on a public forum should have a little more decencey then to come in here all "high and mighty" as if you are a fucking better Tool fan then everyone in the world. Fuck that. It is completely unncecessary to post what your opinion of what a Tool fan should look like, or what a Tool fan should listen too. Who gives a fuck? Do I care if someone here listens to the Backstreet Boys? Do I care if someone here listens to Madonna? No, I really don't. Does that make them any less of a Tool fan? No. If you like the music you are a fan. it's simple. What you know, who you know, what you listen to, and how much money you have to spend on bootlegs, concerts, t-shirts, posters, or whatever means absolutely nothing. To classify the status of a Tool fan is completely moronic. It holds no purpose.
You know what?

SLAYER FUCKING RULES!
PANTERA FUCKING RULES!
ANTHRAX FUCKING RULES!
SLIPKNOT FUCKING RULES!
FEAR FACTORY FUCKING RULES!
VISION OF DISORDER FUCKING RULES!!

And I wear Khakis and collared shirts to work every day.

and you know what else? TOOL FUCKING RULES TOO. I get it.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:45 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

everyone gets it, this thread needs to just die. nobody in here should start a fucking MENSA club where they're the biggest smartest and brightest or whatever and look down on everyone who doesn't "get it." and getting it isn't the same for everyone. everyone has a different opinion about all of the songs. What lateralus means to me is not entirely what it means to you, but nobody is better because they enjoy it for a different reason. Everyone here gets it, it just takes some time. SmilyGladhands, and any metal fans out there who were offended by what I wrote, it was one of those things I wrote at the time of night/day where really stupid unfunny things seem very funny. All you need to do is dig the music, I think. Starting some club saying we're the biggest and brightest and best tool fans is just bastardly.

Though I think that's being a bit hard on the guy who started this, he was just talkin about the good vibrations he gets when he listens to tool and that's what we should be talking about, and if at all possible the name should be changed from Tool MENSA society to TOOLS MAXIMUM LOVE VIBES.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #34
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Don't sweat it dude. I appreciate your followup. I just got a little annoyed at the labelling going on. But hey, I understand what you meant about your state of mind when you posted, we've all been there and hit the "submit reply" button without realizing how things might be taken.

As far as this thread is concerned, at least the "Mensa Society" thing, I don't think the origional poster's purpose was to say that anyone was above anyone else, and to seriously start a society or whatever. It was just a compliment to the knowledge of the fans who post on this site. I am also very impressed with the level of knowledge, and I have learned somethings from all of you that I never knew before. Such as songs that haven't been released on any of the albums, meanings of songs I never knew before, etc. I've complimented the people here, many others have as well. I think mindstream was just trying to find a clever way of blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: