opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 01-08-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
The Noise Scene

Recently I have been introduced to a genre of "music" called Noise. Now, I use the term music lightly because it isn't really music by any means. I have scene it created with a bunch of pedals all hooked together and then all hooked into an 8 track and the amazing noises that are produced, with record players that are wired so that the sound is no longer intelligible, but is just, wow. I'm explaining this really poorly, but it's kind of hard to explain. There are sometimes these "Noisefests" usually in old warehouses and things, where a lot of people get together and just make noise. I have found that, in these settings, it is extremely refreshing. It takes awhile to get used to, but it is amazing. I think the thing I like best about it is that you can stand in a room, with about 20 or 30 people in attendance (this isn't a very popular thing) and just watch someone on their hands and knees creating amazing sounds and doing something they love with such passion. It is almost as if you could stand and watch a painter paint a couple of feet away from them, it's that great. I live in Houston and we have a really great Noise scene here, fortunately.
If this interests you at all (which I hope it does) some good people to check out would be "Mass Murder Media", "Concrete Violin", "Fail Association", "Zero-Sum", "Muzak (Musak?)" on SoulSeek or maybe Kazaa.
And I know this is sort of in the wrong place, maybe it should be in art. However, I feel like I'm not even so much trying to spread the word of the Noise scene as I am trying to talk about how great it is to be up close and next to amazing artists and experience the things they experience. Imagine being at a TooL concert and watching over Danny's shoulder as he drums, or sitting cross-legged and staring up at Adam. Or James. Or Justin. It's almost that good.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: