Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Fear Inoculum
User Name
Password
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
10-01-2013, 08:10 AM

you should post about this a third time. third time's a charm i hear.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #1161
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217
Re: New Tool Album

you should post about this a third time. third time's a charm i hear.
10-02-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
I remember when I came to this forum years ago as a youngster and there was always some buzz around here regarding Tool- those days are long gone. Anyone excited for some new music? What direction are you hoping they take?
Did someone say new Tool?.... yawn

How much is enough?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #1162
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 279

Quote:
I remember when I came to this forum years ago as a youngster and there was always some buzz around here regarding Tool- those days are long gone. Anyone excited for some new music? What direction are you hoping they take?
Did someone say new Tool?.... yawn

How much is enough?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
The Villain's Avatar The Villain
10-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Mer de Noms was absolutely perfect. Thirteenth Step was great, not a great as Mer de Noms, but great nonetheless.
And then they shit out a political cover song album.
are there any news on the new tool album? no? i thought so.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #1163
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Mer de Noms was absolutely perfect. Thirteenth Step was great, not a great as Mer de Noms, but great nonetheless.
And then they shit out a political cover song album.
are there any news on the new tool album? no? i thought so.
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
10-21-2013, 01:32 PM

JAG sure did make this thread nice and uppity. Thanks, JAG.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #1164
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

J A G's Avatar J A G
10-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
sorry pal
Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #1165

Bincount™: 7676

Quote:
sorry pal
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
10-22-2013, 10:04 AM

no news is good news
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #1166
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

no news is good news
praefector's Avatar praefector
10-22-2013, 10:28 AM

adam posted a pic on instaface or whatever a couple days ago. just a picture of his guitar and some oddfellows thing in front of it. my best guess is that shit is being laid down, and they're probably just waiting on the nard dog to get done sniffing his grapes and write some words. i can't imagine they wouldn't send him stuff in the meantime.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #1167
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

adam posted a pic on instaface or whatever a couple days ago. just a picture of his guitar and some oddfellows thing in front of it. my best guess is that shit is being laid down, and they're probably just waiting on the nard dog to get done sniffing his grapes and write some words. i can't imagine they wouldn't send him stuff in the meantime.
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
10-24-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair
A couple of weeks ago I visited the Tool loft to try and get some kind of idea as to how things were progressing with the writing sessions now that the band was back hard at it. Well, I am happy to report that there has indeed been a lot of progress as far as new material goes, especially with the lengthy so-called "epic' piece that the guys have been arranging for quite some time now.
Shortly after I arrived, before taking to their respective instruments, Adam suggested that everyone should first have a listen to what they had recorded during the previous session in order to make sure that all were in agreement with certain recently added sections. And listen they did. In fact, to give you some idea - my parking meter expired twice before they were done. And judging from the smiles on their faces, it seemed that, for the most part, Danny, Adam and Justin liked very much what they were hearing and that after some finishing touches, the 'epic' tune would be ready for Maynard to do his thing. (During some of the more melodic passages, I was trying to envision the vocals which, to me, brings it all together.)

After a bit of discussion about some rapid-fire triplets in one section, I asked Danny if he was going to be able to knock out the piece in one take when it came time to track it? His response was to smile and bury his head in his hands, which I will let the readers interpret for themselves. As for the song itself, without giving too much away, it features complex time signatures, interesting harmonic structure and expanding effects processing - similar to what fans of Tool have come to expect - only now, perhaps not surprisingly, the band has taken it to the next level.

Okay, having given you this bit of an update, please note that I am NOT suggesting in any way that the band is ready to go into the studio any time soon. I honestly have no idea as far as any recording timetables go. I am also not sure how many other songs are near completion at this point. Nor do I know at what stage the vocals might be at for ANY of the new material. All I am saying is that as far as this one particular song goes (albeit, a very lengthy one), it was a LOT closer to being finished (instrumentally, speaking) than the last time that I heard it, and that fans of Tool's music will certainly not be disappointed.
From yesterday
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #1168
Up From The Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair
A couple of weeks ago I visited the Tool loft to try and get some kind of idea as to how things were progressing with the writing sessions now that the band was back hard at it. Well, I am happy to report that there has indeed been a lot of progress as far as new material goes, especially with the lengthy so-called "epic' piece that the guys have been arranging for quite some time now.
Shortly after I arrived, before taking to their respective instruments, Adam suggested that everyone should first have a listen to what they had recorded during the previous session in order to make sure that all were in agreement with certain recently added sections. And listen they did. In fact, to give you some idea - my parking meter expired twice before they were done. And judging from the smiles on their faces, it seemed that, for the most part, Danny, Adam and Justin liked very much what they were hearing and that after some finishing touches, the 'epic' tune would be ready for Maynard to do his thing. (During some of the more melodic passages, I was trying to envision the vocals which, to me, brings it all together.)

After a bit of discussion about some rapid-fire triplets in one section, I asked Danny if he was going to be able to knock out the piece in one take when it came time to track it? His response was to smile and bury his head in his hands, which I will let the readers interpret for themselves. As for the song itself, without giving too much away, it features complex time signatures, interesting harmonic structure and expanding effects processing - similar to what fans of Tool have come to expect - only now, perhaps not surprisingly, the band has taken it to the next level.

Okay, having given you this bit of an update, please note that I am NOT suggesting in any way that the band is ready to go into the studio any time soon. I honestly have no idea as far as any recording timetables go. I am also not sure how many other songs are near completion at this point. Nor do I know at what stage the vocals might be at for ANY of the new material. All I am saying is that as far as this one particular song goes (albeit, a very lengthy one), it was a LOT closer to being finished (instrumentally, speaking) than the last time that I heard it, and that fans of Tool's music will certainly not be disappointed.
From yesterday
livid star's Avatar livid star
10-24-2013, 09:35 AM

This song sounds like it's gonna be 30 minutes long. Add in like 5 segues and *maybe* 3 other "shorter songs" and that's that for this album. Tool are done. Over and out, I highly doubt any more albums.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #1169
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

This song sounds like it's gonna be 30 minutes long. Add in like 5 segues and *maybe* 3 other "shorter songs" and that's that for this album. Tool are done. Over and out, I highly doubt any more albums.
10-24-2013, 09:48 PM

so we are at the same point where we thought we were months ago again. time for a fishing trip to alaska
Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #1170
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

so we are at the same point where we thought we were months ago again. time for a fishing trip to alaska
ObviousParadox's Avatar ObviousParadox
11-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
no news is good news
*kisses*
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #1171
Disgruntled Postal Worker

Bincount™: 176

Quote:
no news is good news
*kisses*
11-13-2013, 05:35 PM

Last edited by Lackymacky; 11-13-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #1172
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110

Last edited by Lackymacky; 11-13-2013 at 05:37 PM..
11-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Who is expecting him to point any fingers? What an odd thing to say.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #1173
Level 10 - Vehement

bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
11-14-2013, 03:27 AM

i didn't read that as a refusal, but rather as a disclaimer.. he's saying he isn't blaming the band or anyone in the band, just that it's taking a long time
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #1174
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

i didn't read that as a refusal, but rather as a disclaimer.. he's saying he isn't blaming the band or anyone in the band, just that it's taking a long time
11-15-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Rolling Stone and the media in general probably are.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #1175
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Rolling Stone and the media in general probably are.
11-15-2013, 04:32 AM

I dont know. Magazine sales aside, I don't think mainstream media could care less about another Tool album.

Even if they did, it seems odd to me for Maynard to acknowledge the subtext of "Hey, where is the new album? It's almost been 8 years." Unless, he himself is frustrated with amount of time it's taking.

for the record; I think bogs is right and I'm reading too much into it.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 11-15-2013 at 04:39 AM..
Old 11-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #1176
Level 10 - Vehement

I dont know. Magazine sales aside, I don't think mainstream media could care less about another Tool album.

Even if they did, it seems odd to me for Maynard to acknowledge the subtext of "Hey, where is the new album? It's almost been 8 years." Unless, he himself is frustrated with amount of time it's taking.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 11-15-2013 at 04:39 AM..
Lackymacky's Avatar Lackymacky
11-15-2013, 07:17 AM

I think he saying it a little. With their process taking over 700 times and is it even happening, i couldnt tell you. I think he's a little annoyed
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #1177
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110

I think he saying it a little. With their process taking over 700 times and is it even happening, i couldnt tell you. I think he's a little annoyed
11-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:

The way Tool fans tend to buy up every morsel of public exposure (interviews, photos, etc) that the band does, I would think magazine publishers are pretty anxious for the band to get the publicity machine going.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #1178

Quote:

The way Tool fans tend to buy up every morsel of public exposure (interviews, photos, etc) that the band does, I would think magazine publishers are pretty anxious for the band to get the publicity machine going.
11-15-2013, 09:21 AM

I think we all know that Adam is the limiting reagent. When your bag of tricks is as limited as his, you need to make sure everything is tight.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #1179

I think we all know that Adam is the limiting reagent. When your bag of tricks is as limited as his, you need to make sure everything is tight.
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
11-16-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector View Post
LOL...burn
Old 11-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #1180
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Quote:
LOL...burn
sianspheric's Avatar sianspheric
11-16-2013, 11:45 PM

still comes off that he is blaming the other three guys

as in, he's so busy with wine and puscifer and apc releasing music nobody gives a shit about and playing setlists nobody wants to hear, etc etc that maybe MJK thinks fans blame him for keeping so busy as to be the source of the delay on the Tool album.

so he's passing the buck onto "them" for being perfectionists and taking the sweet ass time.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #1181
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

still comes off that he is blaming the other three guys

as in, he's so busy with wine and puscifer and apc releasing music nobody gives a shit about and playing setlists nobody wants to hear, etc etc that maybe MJK thinks fans blame him for keeping so busy as to be the source of the delay on the Tool album.

so he's passing the buck onto "them" for being perfectionists and taking the sweet ass time.
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
11-17-2013, 12:14 AM

sian, the "blame" in your theory can also be translated into "feeling out the final arrangements to be used in conjunction for upcoming vocalizations of various tracks"

do you want anything less than "perfection" of balance, synchronization and emotion?

Last edited by lotus.; 11-17-2013 at 12:17 AM..
Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #1182
Up From The Skies

sian, the "blame" in your theory can also be translated into "feeling out the final arrangements to be used in conjunction for upcoming vocalizations of various tracks"

do you want anything less than "perfection" of balance, synchronization and emotion?

Last edited by lotus.; 11-17-2013 at 12:17 AM..
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
11-17-2013, 12:53 AM

The fans are quick to blame members, but I doubt that any of them are so quick to point the finger. Maynard is really just pointing out what we already know, and that other band members have already admitted to.

Maynard isn't blaming or passing the buck at all, anyone who properly reads the interview can see that.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #1183
crows before hoes

The fans are quick to blame members, but I doubt that any of them are so quick to point the finger. Maynard is really just pointing out what we already know, and that other band members have already admitted to.

Maynard isn't blaming or passing the buck at all, anyone who properly reads the interview can see that.
11-17-2013, 03:03 PM

I'm sure Maynard is pretty frustrated...

"Hurry up guys! I want to get this final record off of my contract!"
Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #1184
Watch the Weather Change

I'm sure Maynard is pretty frustrated...

"Hurry up guys! I want to get this final record off of my contract!"
11-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Is that even the situation of the contract with Tool?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #1185
Level 10 - Vehement

11-17-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone really knows outside of the band/management.

Even if it were the arrangement, if Maynard really wanted out then I imagine they'd go down the greatest hits path APC have.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #1186
crows before hoes

Quote:
I don't think anyone really knows outside of the band/management.

Even if it were the arrangement, if Maynard really wanted out then I imagine they'd go down the greatest hits path APC have.
11-17-2013, 07:39 PM

I'm hoping TOOL fans get a little something for Christmas. If I remember correctly, we still have a big announcement that has yet to be announced.

This album is almost as bad as Dr Dre's Detox...
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #1187
Watch the Weather Change

I'm hoping TOOL fans get a little something for Christmas. If I remember correctly, we still have a big announcement that has yet to be announced.

11-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Big announcement = live DV...

Nope, it's just Schism video single re-release with new artwork. Best 200 dollars you'll spend this holiday season.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #1188

Quote:

Big announcement = live DV...

Nope, it's just Schism video single re-release with new artwork. Best 200 dollars you'll spend this holiday season.
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
11-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:

That's an idea I can get behind
Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #1189
Watch the Weather Change

Quote:

That's an idea I can get behind
11-20-2013, 10:40 AM

So there's this...

and

Put the two together and you get "A Perfect Circle New Album"

lol

but I haven't even looked at this codethreesixty.com, but I'm guessing that implies that it's 360 they are referring to. Not something more.

edit: yeah, really seems like 360 they are talking about. codethreesixty.com only says "I JUST WANT TO SAY.. GOOD LUCK. WERE ALL COUNTING ON YOU ~MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN"

funny that they are calling this an "album" teehee

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 11-20-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #1190
Level 10 - Vehement

So there's this...

and

Put the two together and you get "A Perfect Circle New Album"

lol

but I haven't even looked at this codethreesixty.com, but I'm guessing that implies that it's 360 they are referring to. Not something more.

edit: yeah, really seems like 360 they are talking about. codethreesixty.com only says "I JUST WANT TO SAY.. GOOD LUCK. WERE ALL COUNTING ON YOU ~MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN"

funny that they are calling this an "album" teehee

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 11-20-2013 at 10:50 AM..
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
11-20-2013, 02:19 PM

i'm not laughing.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1191
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

i'm not laughing.
11-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Shittiest easter egg ever
Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #1192
crows before hoes

Shittiest easter egg ever
11-20-2013, 11:28 PM

Soooo is the curveball that puscifer, tool and Primus are going to do a festival tour in Mexico in March of 2014?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #1193
Level 10 - Vehement

Soooo is the curveball that puscifer, tool and Primus are going to do a festival tour in Mexico in March of 2014?
11-21-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Nah, I doubt it.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #1194
crows before hoes

Quote:
Nah, I doubt it.
12-03-2013, 03:02 PM

I feel like Tool is the laziest band on earth, am I out of line?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #1195
Banned.

12-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSabbath View Post
Yeah, I think there are definitely lazier bands. Despite a lack of records they're pretty active from a touring perspective.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #1196
crows before hoes

Quote:
Yeah, I think there are definitely lazier bands. Despite a lack of records they're pretty active from a touring perspective.
12-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
am I out of line?
go to your room, no dinner for you.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #1197
Up From The Skies

Quote:
am I out of line?
12-03-2013, 03:34 PM

That's been said a lot.

I only partially agree.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #1198
Level 10 - Vehement

That's been said a lot.

I only partially agree.
BlackSabbath
12-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
I don't know, they only do a handful of shows once a year and usually play for under two hours, that's still seems pretty lazy.

Quote:
No! *throws hissy fit and cries*
Quote:
That's been said a lot.

I only partially agree.
If it's been said a lot, then it's probably somewhat true. Adam even admitted to being lazy about the pot video, almost 8 years after the single was released! Maynard has stated that it's not his fault it's taking so long, so Maybe Adam just does way too much ketamine and looses track of the years or something. He seems pretty stoned in interviews most of the time.
It's going to be 8 years between albums this time. That seems absurd when they"ve been acting like its just going to be one more year for the past 4 or 5. Does that mean it will be 10 or twelve before the next one? As the band Tool they are pretty lazy, although as individuals they seem to be pretty active, except for Adam. I still love them though, so whatever.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #1199
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
I don't know, they only do a handful of shows once a year and usually play for under two hours, that's still seems pretty lazy.

Quote:
No! *throws hissy fit and cries*
Quote:
That's been said a lot.

I only partially agree.
If it's been said a lot, then it's probably somewhat true. Adam even admitted to being lazy about the pot video, almost 8 years after the single was released! Maynard has stated that it's not his fault it's taking so long, so Maybe Adam just does way too much ketamine and looses track of the years or something. He seems pretty stoned in interviews most of the time.
It's going to be 8 years between albums this time. That seems absurd when they"ve been acting like its just going to be one more year for the past 4 or 5. Does that mean it will be 10 or twelve before the next one? As the band Tool they are pretty lazy, although as individuals they seem to be pretty active, except for Adam. I still love them though, so whatever.
12-03-2013, 07:31 PM

Allowing large chunks of time to go by before writing and recording a new record is part of what makes Tool, Tool. I tend to agree that since they change as individuals, the end result of an album ends up being something truly different than what they've done before. So in that respect it's part of their process.

They also have shown interest keeping variety to their creative outlets. All of them have other avenues with which to express their art. Having long gaps between records allows for that to happen at a comfortable pace for everyone. Don't forget that during this break Adam did pursue his comic book project.

I'd only consider all of this to be lazy in the sense that there are plenty of other high caliber artists that have cranked out a lot of said art in a comparatively far shorter amount of time.

But I believe good art is a reflection of the artist(s) that created it. If this is the process that they are all comfortable with, then that's probably the best process for them to use.

All that said, they have been writing for a much longer amount of time this time around, and doing so a much more casual pace. I think part of that could be age. But more than likely, I personally think they are trying to do something different. Create something that sounds truly new and exciting to them. They've always been about that, but perhaps this time around they are struggling to find out what that is.

With this band, I'm (remarkably) still willing to give them slack as a fan and allow them to do what they want to do.

Also, Adam did split with Camella and married Korin. Not to bring any of their personal lives into it, but events like that tend to be emotionally draining and occupy time. :/
Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1200
Level 10 - Vehement

Allowing large chunks of time to go by before writing and recording a new record is part of what makes Tool, Tool. I tend to agree that since they change as individuals, the end result of an album ends up being something truly different than what they've done before. So in that respect it's part of their process.

They also have shown interest keeping variety to their creative outlets. All of them have other avenues with which to express their art. Having long gaps between records allows for that to happen at a comfortable pace for everyone. Don't forget that during this break Adam did pursue his comic book project.

I'd only consider all of this to be lazy in the sense that there are plenty of other high caliber artists that have cranked out a lot of said art in a comparatively far shorter amount of time.

But I believe good art is a reflection of the artist(s) that created it. If this is the process that they are all comfortable with, then that's probably the best process for them to use.

All that said, they have been writing for a much longer amount of time this time around, and doing so a much more casual pace. I think part of that could be age. But more than likely, I personally think they are trying to do something different. Create something that sounds truly new and exciting to them. They've always been about that, but perhaps this time around they are struggling to find out what that is.

With this band, I'm (remarkably) still willing to give them slack as a fan and allow them to do what they want to do.

Also, Adam did split with Camella and married Korin. Not to bring any of their personal lives into it, but events like that tend to be emotionally draining and occupy time. :/

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply