Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Fear Inoculum
User Name
Password
sianspheric's Avatar sianspheric
07-25-2011, 05:28 AM

Agree with you on the above. Lots of "chugging" for sure.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #521
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174
Re: New Tool Album

Agree with you on the above. Lots of "chugging" for sure.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
rsh's Avatar rsh
07-25-2011, 05:31 AM

tribute to meshuggah

who i fucking HATE
Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #522
rsh
be happy with what
you have to be happy with
Suicide Booth ID: 2

Bincount™: 18992

tribute to meshuggah

who i fucking HATE
07-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector View Post
"gives a nod to other stuff" to me sounds like running out of technique. adam has never shown off his technique in his playing, but i cant just assume more dexterity is there either. its always seemed to me he focuses on manipulating and texturing the sound rather than learning more scales or playing faster to squeeze in more notes.
Who cares about technique? We're talking about music, not sport. It isn't technique or the number of scales that you know that makes you a creative guitarist. If Adam had better technique and knew more scales and approached guitar differently then Tool might sound like just another alt metal band.

Quote:
what makes him good is the way his riffs sound when they play over a heavy thunking bass lines and awesome drum patterns.
That's just another way of saying he's a good band member. In other words, he plays what sounds good with the rest of his band.

Quote:
his art, the videos specifically, had a lot to do with me getting into tool in the first place. now that i think about it, he kinda ran out of art too so he "gives nods" to alex grey and whoever else.
He definitely has his own style of art. He doesn't rip off Alex Grey, he works with him so naturally their work crosses over. Adam's own art is much darker and macabre than anything Alex has done.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #523
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

Quote:
"gives a nod to other stuff" to me sounds like running out of technique. adam has never shown off his technique in his playing, but i cant just assume more dexterity is there either. its always seemed to me he focuses on manipulating and texturing the sound rather than learning more scales or playing faster to squeeze in more notes.
Who cares about technique? We're talking about music, not sport. It isn't technique or the number of scales that you know that makes you a creative guitarist. If Adam had better technique and knew more scales and approached guitar differently then Tool might sound like just another alt metal band.

Quote:
what makes him good is the way his riffs sound when they play over a heavy thunking bass lines and awesome drum patterns.
That's just another way of saying he's a good band member. In other words, he plays what sounds good with the rest of his band.

Quote:
his art, the videos specifically, had a lot to do with me getting into tool in the first place. now that i think about it, he kinda ran out of art too so he "gives nods" to alex grey and whoever else.
He definitely has his own style of art. He doesn't rip off Alex Grey, he works with him so naturally their work crosses over. Adam's own art is much darker and macabre than anything Alex has done.

Ganjalf's Avatar Ganjalf
07-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underalus View Post
thanks for the killer defense fellow Canadians. he just loves them fuckin' hammer-ons, eh?

it's not about that though, in all honesty, it's about him making some iconic riffs. Schism is almost entirely hammer-ons at 3-5 or 10-12 but it's still a distinct, recognizable riff that changes. Aenema is a bunch of hemiola'd hammer-ons but ditto for being recognizable.

what I'm saying is the riffs in 10kd aren't very notable. most of that album was just chugging, and even Jambi (don't get me wrong, I think it's a great song but...) was just chugging on the open D for a really sizable percentage of the whole song. The Pot's main riff is like 2 notes, palm muted, and even most of RS is a third eye/H rip off with an AWFUL solo meandering in the middle. The awful meandering solo plagues most of 10KD; it's in Jambi and Wings 2 as well.

Wings 1/2, Intension (despite it just being a sequel in feel and tone to disposition) and Right in Two are the most unique to me but their problems are:

wings 1/2 - guitar doesn't fit vocals. all the different movements are mashed together angularly. most of the song feels like a setup for maynard to sing over but the whole thing lacks cohesion between instruments and vocals

Intension - aside from feeling a bit borrowed, nothing else is wrong with it. probably the best song on the album

Right in Two - forgetting the godawful lyrics for now, the song doesn't get interesting until after the tabla part, which leaves a 9 minute song with about 3 minutes of worthwhile musicmanship.

there. now everyone pick that apart or just agree with it wholesale so I can feel better about myself.
See if you knew anything you'd know that the music was written without Maynard, then given to Maynard and he sang and created the melodies after the music was already made. You don't know what you're talking about.

Actually play guitar and you'll see whats ripping off and whats not. The main ripoff would be the vicarious riff which is the exact riff in H. but played differently. Rosetta Stoned solo is played NOTHING like any other of their solos and the riffs are also much different.

Last edited by Ganjalf; 07-25-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #524
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

Quote:
thanks for the killer defense fellow Canadians. he just loves them fuckin' hammer-ons, eh?

it's not about that though, in all honesty, it's about him making some iconic riffs. Schism is almost entirely hammer-ons at 3-5 or 10-12 but it's still a distinct, recognizable riff that changes. Aenema is a bunch of hemiola'd hammer-ons but ditto for being recognizable.

what I'm saying is the riffs in 10kd aren't very notable. most of that album was just chugging, and even Jambi (don't get me wrong, I think it's a great song but...) was just chugging on the open D for a really sizable percentage of the whole song. The Pot's main riff is like 2 notes, palm muted, and even most of RS is a third eye/H rip off with an AWFUL solo meandering in the middle. The awful meandering solo plagues most of 10KD; it's in Jambi and Wings 2 as well.

Wings 1/2, Intension (despite it just being a sequel in feel and tone to disposition) and Right in Two are the most unique to me but their problems are:

wings 1/2 - guitar doesn't fit vocals. all the different movements are mashed together angularly. most of the song feels like a setup for maynard to sing over but the whole thing lacks cohesion between instruments and vocals

Intension - aside from feeling a bit borrowed, nothing else is wrong with it. probably the best song on the album

Right in Two - forgetting the godawful lyrics for now, the song doesn't get interesting until after the tabla part, which leaves a 9 minute song with about 3 minutes of worthwhile musicmanship.

there. now everyone pick that apart or just agree with it wholesale so I can feel better about myself.
See if you knew anything you'd know that the music was written without Maynard, then given to Maynard and he sang and created the melodies after the music was already made. You don't know what you're talking about.

Actually play guitar and you'll see whats ripping off and whats not. The main ripoff would be the vicarious riff which is the exact riff in H. but played differently. Rosetta Stoned solo is played NOTHING like any other of their solos and the riffs are also much different.

Last edited by Ganjalf; 07-25-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Towely's Avatar Towely
07-25-2011, 02:38 PM

5222012 newsletter is a tuesday. Possible release date? I say Blair is 100% screwing with us here, but it would line up directly with a summer tour??? I think this is too soon though. Late 2012.
We are eternal... without judgement...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #525
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 402

5222012 newsletter is a tuesday. Possible release date? I say Blair is 100% screwing with us here, but it would line up directly with a summer tour??? I think this is too soon though. Late 2012.
We are eternal... without judgement...
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
07-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjalf View Post
The main ripoff would be the vicarious riff which is the exact riff in H. but played differently.
that makes since
Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #526
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

Quote:
The main ripoff would be the vicarious riff which is the exact riff in H. but played differently.
that makes since
07-25-2011, 04:05 PM

All bands rip off their own riffs, not sure why this is a big deal.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #527
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

07-25-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:

I knew it was written without Maynard and I can play probably 70% of the Tool catalog on guitar. STRIKE TWO!

You're right about the Vicarious/H ripoff, indeed. The part in Rosetta Stoned where Maynard sings "hey-e-ey" over the hammer-ons going from low D to A to D reminds me of the hammer-on part in H. before "without the skin...". You disagree? That's alright, it's my opinion.

About Maynard's absence during the writing, I assumed this was always the case from Undertow through to 10KD, but perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption. If I'm correct though, something else is to blame for the discordance in their recent song structures.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #528
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

Quote:

I knew it was written without Maynard and I can play probably 70% of the Tool catalog on guitar. STRIKE TWO!

You're right about the Vicarious/H ripoff, indeed. The part in Rosetta Stoned where Maynard sings "hey-e-ey" over the hammer-ons going from low D to A to D reminds me of the hammer-on part in H. before "without the skin...". You disagree? That's alright, it's my opinion.

About Maynard's absence during the writing, I assumed this was always the case from Undertow through to 10KD, but perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption. If I'm correct though, something else is to blame for the discordance in their recent song structures.
07-25-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
ac/dc and zz top were exceptional at that
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #529
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Quote:
ac/dc and zz top were exceptional at that
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
07-26-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
How do you even "rip off" your own riff!? If you wrote the riff you can do whatever you want with it.

I saw AC/DC and ZZTop mentioned. Funny how those bands are bands that as soon as their song begins you know it's them. Thus the difference between ripping off your own riff and developing your own style.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #530
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
How do you even "rip off" your own riff!? If you wrote the riff you can do whatever you want with it.

I saw AC/DC and ZZTop mentioned. Funny how those bands are bands that as soon as their song begins you know it's them. Thus the difference between ripping off your own riff and developing your own style.

praefector's Avatar praefector
07-26-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain View Post
players, mostly, care about technique. technique is what expands your ability to express yourself through music. i even admitted as much that adam seemed to go a different route; rather than learning new techniques he simply found new ways to manipulate the sound of what he already knew how to play. its an observation i have made, and in my opinion, it is a criticism, since i believe guitar players should always be trying to expand what they can produce with the instrument.

Quote:

show me where i insinuated that he was not a good band member... lol. when i posted that, i meant it as a complement.

however, i dont think he walks in on danny and justin and then pops out the same-sounding riffs. i think he comes up with the basic riff and then danny and justin work their magic within his framework. there can be little argument that adam is the limiting reagent in the tool equation.

Quote:
oh hes not "ripping off" alex grey... hes just using alex grey's art along with his name instead of driving that aspect of the band on his own like he once did.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #531
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:
players, mostly, care about technique. technique is what expands your ability to express yourself through music. i even admitted as much that adam seemed to go a different route; rather than learning new techniques he simply found new ways to manipulate the sound of what he already knew how to play. its an observation i have made, and in my opinion, it is a criticism, since i believe guitar players should always be trying to expand what they can produce with the instrument.

Quote:

show me where i insinuated that he was not a good band member... lol. when i posted that, i meant it as a complement.

however, i dont think he walks in on danny and justin and then pops out the same-sounding riffs. i think he comes up with the basic riff and then danny and justin work their magic within his framework. there can be little argument that adam is the limiting reagent in the tool equation.

Quote:
oh hes not "ripping off" alex grey... hes just using alex grey's art along with his name instead of driving that aspect of the band on his own like he once did.
07-26-2011, 07:01 AM

I remember reading something where he said that it's mainly Justin who comes up with the riff age.

You're right about the Alex Grey thing. I'm kinda getting tired of Alex's stuff and Adams is awesome. I liked the Melvin's vinyl he did.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #532
Level 10 - Vehement

I remember reading something where he said that it's mainly Justin who comes up with the riff age.

You're right about the Alex Grey thing. I'm kinda getting tired of Alex's stuff and Adams is awesome. I liked the Melvin's vinyl he did.

One Dark Flame's Avatar One Dark Flame
08-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Tool aren't renowned for breaking musical boundaries and I don't think they've ever claimed that themselves. Also I'd like to hear what riffs you think are rehashed because all I hear is nodding to other bands/songs influences. This is something that Adam has always done. Nods to the Melvin's, King Crimson and even Meshuggah. I hear similarities in riffs between Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned but I'd be surprised if that wasn't intentional. Those two songs have similar lyrical themes. Again, I see that riff as a nod to Third Eye.

Either that or Adam Jones is such an incompetent guitar player that he doesn't know he's copying himself. I find that unlikely.
I'm pretty sure Vicarious has some Schism riffs, and Roestta has a lengthy section that matches up with H.

I totally get referencing other bands but I'm not sure I buy the fact that he made a consious effort to reference his own riffs. But I supose it could go either way.

EDIT: Agree with you guys on Alex Grey as well. His Lateralus stuff was amazing (and I do believe Adam came up with a lot of that though) but the 10K stuff is just very boring and pretentious. He needs to to come up with some new stuff now.
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH

Last edited by One Dark Flame; 08-09-2011 at 10:56 AM..
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #533
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Tool aren't renowned for breaking musical boundaries and I don't think they've ever claimed that themselves. Also I'd like to hear what riffs you think are rehashed because all I hear is nodding to other bands/songs influences. This is something that Adam has always done. Nods to the Melvin's, King Crimson and even Meshuggah. I hear similarities in riffs between Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned but I'd be surprised if that wasn't intentional. Those two songs have similar lyrical themes. Again, I see that riff as a nod to Third Eye.

Either that or Adam Jones is such an incompetent guitar player that he doesn't know he's copying himself. I find that unlikely.
I'm pretty sure Vicarious has some Schism riffs, and Roestta has a lengthy section that matches up with H.

I totally get referencing other bands but I'm not sure I buy the fact that he made a consious effort to reference his own riffs. But I supose it could go either way.

EDIT: Agree with you guys on Alex Grey as well. His Lateralus stuff was amazing (and I do believe Adam came up with a lot of that though) but the 10K stuff is just very boring and pretentious. He needs to to come up with some new stuff now.
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH

Last edited by One Dark Flame; 08-09-2011 at 10:56 AM..
5th Eye's Avatar 5th Eye
08-09-2011, 02:01 PM

vicarious has a riff directly lifted, note-for-note, from the grudge.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #534
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

08-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Eye View Post
Oh okay thanks. I thought a bit of Schism was in there as well. I am sure of the Roestta-H. connection though.
-DXH
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #535
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Oh okay thanks. I thought a bit of Schism was in there as well. I am sure of the Roestta-H. connection though.
-DXH
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
08-09-2011, 06:40 PM

where proof it, make a youtube
Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #536
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

08-09-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
what riff is that?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #537
crows before hoes

Quote:
what riff is that?
08-09-2011, 06:52 PM

starts at about here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg&t=7m04s

really only more like half a riff, but still
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #538
Super Bat Kiss

starts at about here

08-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
starts at about here

You're really clutching at straws now...there's probably half a Tool riff copied in almost every Tool song.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #539
crows before hoes

Quote:
starts at about here

You're really clutching at straws now...there's probably half a Tool riff copied in almost every Tool song.
08-09-2011, 07:00 PM

oh phew, so an "attack" or "rhythmic technique" within the riff structure is similar. i thought i missed something. how about all the times they land on straight open drop-d (D5) for all of their punching downbeats? flood jambi h stinkfist third eye the grudge all over the place.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #540
Level 10 - Vehement

oh phew, so an "attack" or "rhythmic technique" within the riff structure is similar. i thought i missed something. how about all the times they land on straight open drop-d (D5) for all of their punching downbeats? flood jambi h stinkfist third eye the grudge all over the place.
08-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
i was just kidding btw. thank you for going to the effort though. i love the future!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #541
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
i was just kidding btw. thank you for going to the effort though. i love the future!
08-09-2011, 07:06 PM

no the notes and rhythm are both the same, but whatever... I really don't care, it's their own song
Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #542
Super Bat Kiss

no the notes and rhythm are both the same, but whatever... I really don't care, it's their own song
08-09-2011, 07:20 PM

well now i feel bad.

hey perhaps it's a motif, like the staccato tranced-out dreamstate riffs similar in both the patient and the intro of vicarious ...if it even represents that. i get the sense that an alarm clock is waking someone up before the main riff comes in, the opened/physical eyes riff. but all these references to water, all the swirling microtonal howls of adam's silverburst, danny's heart beat rhythms throughout third eye and jambi ...i can't chalk any of it up to "ripping off their own songs ...those lazy, unoriginal, scab-picking hypocrites." seems like an intentional constant, an idea of its own applicable at certain times, in various ways, under different lights.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #543
Level 10 - Vehement

well now i feel bad.

hey perhaps it's a motif, like the staccato tranced-out dreamstate riffs similar in both the patient and the intro of vicarious ...if it even represents that. i get the sense that an alarm clock is waking someone up before the main riff comes in, the opened/physical eyes riff. but all these references to water, all the swirling microtonal howls of adam's silverburst, danny's heart beat rhythms throughout third eye and jambi ...i can't chalk any of it up to "ripping off their own songs ...those lazy, unoriginal, scab-picking hypocrites." seems like an intentional constant, an idea of its own applicable at certain times, in various ways, under different lights.
08-09-2011, 07:24 PM

I think what all the disgruntled fans are getting pissed about is the idea of waiting such a protracted time span for new music to basically just get riff recycling in a way that's immediately obvious and/or that the riffs are unremarkable. When I say 46&2, Aenema, Schism, 4 degrees, Parabola etc. a very specific, memorable riff comes up.

When I say The Pot, Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, etc. basically all that comes to mind is hammer-on/pull-off combos or something recycled.

It's a fair gripe that some people may not have, but evidently there's a vast enough group of people who agree with me.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #544
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I think what all the disgruntled fans are getting pissed about is the idea of waiting such a protracted time span for new music to basically just get riff recycling in a way that's immediately obvious and/or that the riffs are unremarkable. When I say 46&2, Aenema, Schism, 4 degrees, Parabola etc. a very specific, memorable riff comes up.

When I say The Pot, Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, etc. basically all that comes to mind is hammer-on/pull-off combos or something recycled.

It's a fair gripe that some people may not have, but evidently there's a vast enough group of people who agree with me.
08-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Let's all hope Tool don't release an album that sounds like a Tool album!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #545
crows before hoes

Let's all hope Tool don't release an album that sounds like a Tool album!
08-09-2011, 08:09 PM

really, even the pot?

it's not just recycled... when you say all you get out of the pot jambi and rosetta stoned are soundbite portions of truly masterful (clearly under-rated) riffs, i can only imagine that you don't find it worthwhile or interesting enough to hear/learn the significance, flow, weight, and overall direction involved in their sound within that moment ...utilizing those specific hammer-on/pull-off combos. in fact, those are some of the most tripped out riffs i've ever enjoyed hearing/playing, whether guitar, bass, vox - it's so fuckin' sick man. and the drums are always so crazy intentional. rosetta stoned, the bass part at 7:04 for example. the pot bass intro, the 4:24 breakdown ...idk,idkwut2say. "you better listen" ??? HIGHLY NOTABLE RIFFS!!!

i can't imagine how boring your 70% sounds. are they not notable because only two guitar world issues have transcribed vicarious for you? how condescending am i? yeah, i'm a music snob. i think a lot of tool fans are. i don't like it... but i get off on it.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 08-09-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #546
Level 10 - Vehement

really, even the pot?

it's not just recycled... when you say all you get out of the pot jambi and rosetta stoned are soundbite portions of truly masterful (clearly under-rated) riffs, i can only imagine that you don't find it worthwhile or interesting enough to hear/learn the significance, flow, weight, and overall direction involved in their sound within that moment ...utilizing those specific hammer-on/pull-off combos. in fact, those are some of the most tripped out riffs i've ever enjoyed hearing/playing, whether guitar, bass, vox - it's so fuckin' sick man. and the drums are always so crazy intentional. rosetta stoned, the bass part at 7:04 for example. the pot bass intro, the 4:24 breakdown ...idk,idkwut2say. "you better listen" ??? HIGHLY NOTABLE RIFFS!!!

i can't imagine how boring your 70% sounds. are they not notable because only two guitar world issues have transcribed vicarious for you? how condescending am i? yeah, i'm a music snob. i think a lot of tool fans are. i don't like it... but i get off on it.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 08-09-2011 at 08:19 PM..
08-10-2011, 03:30 AM

Saying that a riff is "Recycled" is redundant.

Quote:
how about all the times they land on straight open drop-d (D5) for all of their punching downbeats? flood jambi h stinkfist third eye the grudge all over the place.
I mean really? To me that's just like someone on a Bruce Springsteen forum saying, "Bruce used G in this song and then went to C before coming back to G via D, clearly he's just ripping himself off". Dear fuck, there's more to music than chord progression and riffs. What about the feel? The theme? How the song fits in to the rest of the album or the rest of the bands work? If all you hear when you listen to music is riffs then I feel sorry for you. What about songs that have no riffs? or can't you hear them? I think Adam is a guitar player who plays what feels good. Sometimes what feels best isn't necessarily the most original thing. But would you rather someone said of your music, "That was great" or "that was...er...original".

By the way that wasn't directed at yourself, just that kind of comment.

A musicians limitations are extremely important to their individual sound. Adam wouldn't sound like Adam if he was more technically proficient or flashy. And so Tool wouldn't sound like Tool. Ever noticed that the most technically brilliant guitar players make the most generic, bullshit music? In many ways I think Adam's limitations stop Tool from turning completely into boring, prog rock wankery.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #547
Level 10 - Vehement

Saying that a riff is "Recycled" is redundant.

Quote:
how about all the times they land on straight open drop-d (D5) for all of their punching downbeats? flood jambi h stinkfist third eye the grudge all over the place.
I mean really? To me that's just like someone on a Bruce Springsteen forum saying, "Bruce used G in this song and then went to C before coming back to G via D, clearly he's just ripping himself off". Dear fuck, there's more to music than chord progression and riffs. What about the feel? The theme? How the song fits in to the rest of the album or the rest of the bands work? If all you hear when you listen to music is riffs then I feel sorry for you. What about songs that have no riffs? or can't you hear them? I think Adam is a guitar player who plays what feels good. Sometimes what feels best isn't necessarily the most original thing. But would you rather someone said of your music, "That was great" or "that was...er...original".

A musicians limitations are extremely important to their individual sound. Adam wouldn't sound like Adam if he was more technically proficient or flashy. And so Tool wouldn't sound like Tool. Ever noticed that the most technically brilliant guitar players make the most generic, bullshit music? In many ways I think Adam's limitations stop Tool from turning completely into boring, prog rock wankery.

hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
08-10-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
In many ways I think Adam's limitations stop Tool from
turning completely into boring, prog rock wankery.
+1

I can't stand wanky prog rock/metal like Opeth and Porcupine Tree
Old 08-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #548
crows before hoes

Quote:
In many ways I think Adam's limitations stop Tool from
turning completely into boring, prog rock wankery.
+1

08-10-2011, 04:08 AM

i was mocking 5th Eye more than anything. you can't feel sorry for me because we're arguing the exact same point. 5th Eye was making a surface level observation/interpretation of what it is to play drop-d in a band called tool, a band that relies much more on its rhythms and microtonal/binauralbeat harmonies rather than submitting to the straight/BORING! traditional/court music theory we see regurgitated everywhere, and so yes ...obviously ...there's gonna be some overlap here and there. but it's surface, and base. yeah, they use a guitar for both tracks!!! WTF?! i mean, there's sooooooooo much more going on there. sooooooo much more than just hammers and pull offs... get the flac files if you must, jesus chriiiiiiiiiiiist...
Old 08-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #549
Level 10 - Vehement

i was mocking 5th Eye more than anything. you can't feel sorry for me because we're arguing the exact same point. 5th Eye was making a surface level observation/interpretation of what it is to play drop-d in a band called tool, a band that relies much more on its rhythms and microtonal/binauralbeat harmonies rather than submitting to the straight/BORING! traditional/court music theory we see regurgitated everywhere, and so yes ...obviously ...there's gonna be some overlap here and there. but it's surface, and base. yeah, they use a guitar for both tracks!!! WTF?! i mean, there's sooooooooo much more going on there. sooooooo much more than just hammers and pull offs... get the flac files if you must, jesus chriiiiiiiiiiiist...
08-10-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
+1

+1 to THAT statement ...but come on, there's nothing really generic or bullshit about adam's approach. i bet he mods a ton of his pedals and shit ...isn't he good friends with synesthesia inventor vince de franco? let's go, the wizard crickets are descending from the fifth dimension, man.

"...i mean, some people from the punk-rythm valley-side of things were "what are you doing here hang out with people like tool" but hey, they're my friends i mean i don't judge people the way some other people might think i would, and.. it was immediately obvious that even guitar tone alone adam doesn't sound like anybody else. on the kind of ideas he was adding to our songs and even the old dead kennedy songs we played live, they were really out of left field, so much as they're out of some weird field that i've never heard anybody do before, so that was a very very great pleasure to work with adam, and get some of that unique voodoo with the rub-off on everybody was heard the biafra with the melvins stuff so far, the... never breathe what you can't see and [...] cds. so if anybody out there is curious about the... a [...] tool-punk hybrid check 'em out..."
Old 08-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #550
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
+1

+1 to THAT statement ...but come on, there's nothing really generic or bullshit about adam's approach. i bet he mods a ton of his pedals and shit ...isn't he good friends with synesthesia inventor vince de franco? let's go, the wizard crickets are descending from the fifth dimension, man.

"...i mean, some people from the punk-rythm valley-side of things were "what are you doing here hang out with people like tool" but hey, they're my friends i mean i don't judge people the way some other people might think i would, and.. it was immediately obvious that even guitar tone alone adam doesn't sound like anybody else. on the kind of ideas he was adding to our songs and even the old dead kennedy songs we played live, they were really out of left field, so much as they're out of some weird field that i've never heard anybody do before, so that was a very very great pleasure to work with adam, and get some of that unique voodoo with the rub-off on everybody was heard the biafra with the melvins stuff so far, the... never breathe what you can't see and [...] cds. so if anybody out there is curious about the... a [...] tool-punk hybrid check 'em out..."
08-10-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:

Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #551
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:

iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
08-10-2011, 04:32 AM

what? yeah, i saw that. i was also just doing it for "that kind of comment". i simply had more to say on the matter - not that it needed to be said, but i'm pancake n'bakin' here so... (i.e. also not directed at you ...although if you haven't tried, the flac files ARE a delicious treat - highly recommundo)
Old 08-10-2011, 04:32 AM   #552
Level 10 - Vehement

what? yeah, i saw that. i was also just doing it for "that kind of comment". i simply had more to say on the matter - not that it needed to be said, but i'm pancake n'bakin' here so... (i.e. also not directed at you ...although if you haven't tried, the flac files ARE a delicious treat - highly recommundo)
08-10-2011, 04:53 AM

sure is butthurt in here
Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #553
Level 9 - Obstreperous

sure is butthurt in here
08-10-2011, 05:41 AM

yeah butt you watched
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #554
Level 10 - Vehement

yeah butt you watched
08-10-2011, 02:02 PM

....high-five sir

I wish I could see 10,000 Days as you do, truly. Lucky you.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #555
Level 9 - Obstreperous

....high-five sir

I wish I could see 10,000 Days as you do, truly. Lucky you.
08-10-2011, 08:18 PM

I don't hear any 'riffs taken from__' ...just similarities.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #556
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

I don't hear any 'riffs taken from__' ...just similarities.
Neel's Avatar Neel
12-01-2011, 01:20 PM

So, it seems that they are cautiously hinting at some activity in the recent news letter. I definitely look forward to hearing whatever it is they get together.

For a while, we hovered that 5 year mark at which I have come to expect Tool albums. That, combined with the gossip about recording and albums that have been put out on the internet over the past year, kind of made me eager to see something new. At this point, however, I no longer feel like there could be big news any day now, and I'm much less concerned with when the album will come out.

Last edited by Neel; 12-01-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #557
Just chillin

Bincount™: 16

So, it seems that they are cautiously hinting at some activity in the recent news letter. I definitely look forward to hearing whatever it is they get together.

For a while, we hovered that 5 year mark at which I have come to expect Tool albums. That, combined with the gossip about recording and albums that have been put out on the internet over the past year, kind of made me eager to see something new. At this point, however, I no longer feel like there could be big news any day now, and I'm much less concerned with when the album will come out.

Last edited by Neel; 12-01-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Underalus's Avatar Underalus
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM

I think they're going to pull a Radiohead and announce it very shortly before release. They have the clout to pull it off.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #558
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I think they're going to pull a Radiohead and announce it very shortly before release. They have the clout to pull it off.
12-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I mentioned that a while back. A band like them, and the age of immediacy, they don't need to promote the album several months beforehand for it to sell well.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #559
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Quote:
I mentioned that a while back. A band like them, and the age of immediacy, they don't need to promote the album several months beforehand for it to sell well.
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
12-01-2011, 03:19 PM

I wouldn't get too excited. The recording discussed in the latest newsletter is Volto! not Tool...
Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #560
crows before hoes

I wouldn't get too excited. The recording discussed in the latest newsletter is Volto! not Tool...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply