Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Fear Inoculum
User Name
Password
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
12-09-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
I'd be pretty disappointed with the working title too, except I'm positive it must be a decoy.
Man this just reminded me, the REAL 10,000 still hasn't released has it?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #1441
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769
Re: New Tool Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
I'd be pretty disappointed with the working title too, except I'm positive it must be a decoy.
Man this just reminded me, the REAL 10,000 still hasn't released has it?
12-09-2014, 06:09 PM

lolol, everyone thought 10,000 days was so wack, it must be a hoax album.

Nope. Tool really is just that awful.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #1442
Ignorant Irresponsible Bastard

Bincount™: 523

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Malaclypse
12-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevin downsend View Post

Coldplay. all the way.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #1443
Banned.

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

Coldplay. all the way.
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
12-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J A G View Post
yeah but you'll still listen to it multiple times
only so i can shit on it in the albums section
Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #1444
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

Quote:
yeah but you'll still listen to it multiple times
only so i can shit on it in the albums section
12-09-2014, 06:41 PM

A good trolls knows what they're trolling
Old 12-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #1445
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

A good trolls knows what they're trolling
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
12-09-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaclypse View Post
i can understand a desire for depth. Tool's albums have always been a sort of cryptic puzzle in a way. i've gotten plenty from Tool's music, but i really couldn't say if i've gotten what i "wanted" because i honestly don't even know exactly what i'm looking for. does anybody?

i sort of still do hold them to a standard. i don't want them to just completely give up and produce a pop album or something - though, i really don't think that idea is even likely. i think a lot of fans have grown accustomed to a certain kind of style that they expect from Tool. i also realize that it's a point of Tool's to challenge this expected style (at least it has been in the past)... i'll honestly be a little disappointed if everything they write from now on is similar to Rosetta Stoned. it's a good song, but i'd prefer he'd leave the comedy to Puscifer... though at the same time, everything Tool has ever written has always been a little comical and cautionary at the same time - Opiate/Gaping Lotus Experience, Prison Sex, Disgustipated, AEnema, Maynard's Dick, etc..

so, i almost don't care what the next album sounds like. i believe the next album will rock no matter what direction they go in. i have faith in Tool. i need a Tool fish on my bumper.
I'm picking up what you're laying down. I was thinking about putting it another way. When people emotionally invest themselves in some form of story-telling that is deeply spiritual, political, or philosophical and look to it to answer some deep seeded question they have, they often end up disappointed when the end of the story comes and they don't have an answer. Or if there is an "answer", it's unsatisfactory in some way.

Some recent examples would be Lost or The Matrix. Some fans fall victim to this and I can't seem to understand why you (royal you) can't dial back and at least walk away with the entertainment aspect.

So I guess I'll rephrase not holding them to a "high standard" to meaning, I don't expect the next Tool album to be any better than anything they've produced to this point. Barring a few unknowns, I expect it to be something that sounds like 10,000 days part 2. Lengthy Tool composition, maynard penning some lyrics about what grinds his gears, how he wishes people would act, poking fun at some shit, some sonic interludes, and generally not containing any overall theme but rather just continuing motifs from previous albums. Which ultimately means they all collaborated to make a collection of music they're happy with.

If that ends up NOT happening, I'd say that lay more in the hands of Adam and Maynard than Danny and Justin. I love Adam, but he could stand to actively throw in some different scales, tunings and change up some of his habitual triplets just to keep things exciting and vibrant. And perhaps Maynard could put more of a theme to the album, maybe make it feel a little more cohesive.

:/

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 12-09-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #1446
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
i can understand a desire for depth. Tool's albums have always been a sort of cryptic puzzle in a way. i've gotten plenty from Tool's music, but i really couldn't say if i've gotten what i "wanted" because i honestly don't even know exactly what i'm looking for. does anybody?

i sort of still do hold them to a standard. i don't want them to just completely give up and produce a pop album or something - though, i really don't think that idea is even likely. i think a lot of fans have grown accustomed to a certain kind of style that they expect from Tool. i also realize that it's a point of Tool's to challenge this expected style (at least it has been in the past)... i'll honestly be a little disappointed if everything they write from now on is similar to Rosetta Stoned. it's a good song, but i'd prefer he'd leave the comedy to Puscifer... though at the same time, everything Tool has ever written has always been a little comical and cautionary at the same time - Opiate/Gaping Lotus Experience, Prison Sex, Disgustipated, AEnema, Maynard's Dick, etc..

so, i almost don't care what the next album sounds like. i believe the next album will rock no matter what direction they go in. i have faith in Tool. i need a Tool fish on my bumper.
I'm picking up what you're laying down. I was thinking about putting it another way. When people emotionally invest themselves in some form of story-telling that is deeply spiritual, political, or philosophical and look to it to answer some deep seeded question they have, they often end up disappointed when the end of the story comes and they don't have an answer. Or if there is an "answer", it's unsatisfactory in some way.

Some recent examples would be Lost or The Matrix. Some fans fall victim to this and I can't seem to understand why you (royal you) can't dial back and at least walk away with the entertainment aspect.

So I guess I'll rephrase not holding them to a "high standard" to meaning, I don't expect the next Tool album to be any better than anything they've produced to this point. Barring a few unknowns, I expect it to be something that sounds like 10,000 days part 2. Lengthy Tool composition, maynard penning some lyrics about what grinds his gears, how he wishes people would act, poking fun at some shit, some sonic interludes, and generally not containing any overall theme but rather just continuing motifs from previous albums. Which ultimately means they all collaborated to make a collection of music they're happy with.

If that ends up NOT happening, I'd say that lay more in the hands of Adam and Maynard than Danny and Justin. I love Adam, but he could stand to actively throw in some different scales, tunings and change up some of his habitual triplets just to keep things exciting and vibrant. And perhaps Maynard could put more of a theme to the album, maybe make it feel a little more cohesive.

:/

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 12-09-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Malaclypse
12-09-2014, 10:12 PM

okay, i think i see what you're saying.

i would also like to see Adam experiment a little more. i've also always wondered what a side project of his would ever sound like...

and that's what i like about APC is the connections between all the songs on their albums. Tool does it a little, but not as much as i used to think.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #1447
Banned.

okay, i think i see what you're saying.

i would also like to see Adam experiment a little more. i've also always wondered what a side project of his would ever sound like...

and that's what i like about APC is the connections between all the songs on their albums. Tool does it a little, but not as much as i used to think.
Seven Deep's Avatar Seven Deep
12-10-2014, 12:03 AM

I think it's wise for people to remember that you're talking about a band of guys who are now in their 50s. They're 20 years past the point of cramming writing sessions into a 4 day LSD cruise and caring whether the musings and ramblings on the other side of that make shit all sense or coherent structure to people in the context of vaguely unorthodox alternative-prog-light-metal. Apparently they're 10 years past the point of really having much motivation to force themselves to be in a room together unless it's going to generate instant cash.

Think about actual prog bands like Yes or Genesis. Think about all the crazy shit those people decided they would actually commit to tape and then remember the fact that not 10 years after they tore the seams of many peoples expectations of music, they were writing "Owner of a Lonely Heart"

You got almost 15 years of good, then very good, then a sharply declining band in Tool. Slightly better than par. But you're crazy to keep expecting them to want or be capable of catering to your expectations for masterpieces in the studio. It's not gonna happen.

You will get an occasional flash of brilliance in a song followed by something derivative of a band they toured with they thought was fun to play. You'll get another Vicarious, which was to Schism what Schism was to Stinkfist was to Sober to Opiate. And people will bitch.

You will continue to get a million dollar light show at the concert you paid $98.50 to attend. And you'll probably get an "Owner of a Lonely Heart" to make you post even more angry shit in the Albums section.

Last edited by Seven Deep; 12-10-2014 at 12:06 AM..
Old 12-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #1448
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2924

I think it's wise for people to remember that you're talking about a band of guys who are now in their 50s. They're 20 years past the point of cramming writing sessions into a 4 day LSD cruise and caring whether the musings and ramblings on the other side of that make shit all sense or coherent structure to people in the context of vaguely unorthodox alternative-prog-light-metal. Apparently they're 10 years past the point of really having much motivation to force themselves to be in a room together unless it's going to generate instant cash.

Think about actual prog bands like Yes or Genesis. Think about all the crazy shit those people decided they would actually commit to tape and then remember the fact that not 10 years after they tore the seams of many peoples expectations of music, they were writing "Owner of a Lonely Heart"

You got almost 15 years of good, then very good, then a sharply declining band in Tool. Slightly better than par. But you're crazy to keep expecting them to want or be capable of catering to your expectations for masterpieces in the studio. It's not gonna happen.

You will get an occasional flash of brilliance in a song followed by something derivative of a band they toured with they thought was fun to play. You'll get another Vicarious, which was to Schism what Schism was to Stinkfist was to Sober to Opiate. And people will bitch.

You will continue to get a million dollar light show at the concert you paid $98.50 to attend. And you'll probably get an "Owner of a Lonely Heart" to make you post even more angry shit in the Albums section.

Last edited by Seven Deep; 12-10-2014 at 12:06 AM..
Malaclypse
12-10-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Deep View Post
I think it's wise for people to remember that you're talking about a band of guys who are now in their 50s. They're 20 years past the point of cramming writing sessions into a 4 day LSD cruise and caring whether their musings and ramblings make shit all sense or coherent structure to people in the context of vaguely unorthodox alternative-prog-light-metal. Apparently they're 10 years past the point of really having much motivation to force themselves to be in a room together.

i dont think i have as much of a problem as you do with bands growing up. i like 10k days (go ahead, flame me lol). though i've also never seen Tool live, and apparently came into the Tool scene a little late.

i first bought Lateralus in 2006 or so, then went back to buy opiate through AEnima, then ended with 10k days. i must seem like a noob to you guys or something.

Last edited by Malaclypse; 12-10-2014 at 12:09 AM..
Old 12-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #1449
Banned.

Quote:
I think it's wise for people to remember that you're talking about a band of guys who are now in their 50s. They're 20 years past the point of cramming writing sessions into a 4 day LSD cruise and caring whether their musings and ramblings make shit all sense or coherent structure to people in the context of vaguely unorthodox alternative-prog-light-metal. Apparently they're 10 years past the point of really having much motivation to force themselves to be in a room together.

i dont think i have as much of a problem as you do with bands growing up. i like 10k days (go ahead, flame me lol). though i've also never seen Tool live, and apparently came into the Tool scene a little late.

i first bought Lateralus in 2006 or so, then went back to buy opiate through AEnima, then ended with 10k days. i must seem like a noob to you guys or something.

Last edited by Malaclypse; 12-10-2014 at 12:09 AM..
12-10-2014, 12:15 AM

My point is that people should not have an issue, or be surprised with a band at this point in their career doing what Tool does.

It's still more than fair to point out the absurdities in the band and the people gnashing their teeth because they haven't committed 72 minutes to tape in a decade.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #1450

My point is that people should not have an issue, or be surprised with a band at this point in their career doing what Tool does.

It's still more than fair to point out the absurdities in the band and the people gnashing their teeth because they haven't committed 72 minutes to tape in a decade.
12-10-2014, 01:18 AM

Masterfully put, 7D.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #1451
Level 10 - Vehement

Masterfully put, 7D.
tevin downsend's Avatar tevin downsend
12-14-2014, 09:12 PM

I agree.

Don't expect anything more of Tool at this point, other than washed up 50 year olds in cowboy hats.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #1452

I agree.

Don't expect anything more of Tool at this point, other than washed up 50 year olds in cowboy hats.
jeffton93
12-15-2014, 03:26 PM

that comparison is actually pretty generous to tool, considering true prog died decades before they were even born - a more reasonable musing would be that put in the other thread: tool is really a standout act between active american alternative metal acts born in the 90s like say, the pixies, janes' addiction, faith no more, etc.? plus, where are these bands now?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #1453
Banned.

that comparison is actually pretty generous to tool, considering true prog died decades before they were even born - a more reasonable musing would be that put in the other thread: tool is really a standout act between active american alternative metal acts born in the 90s like say, the pixies, janes' addiction, faith no more, etc.? plus, where are these bands now?
Hoser's Avatar Hoser
12-15-2014, 03:29 PM

The Pixies are metal now?

Still barking up that Tool-isn't-prog-or-influenced-by-King-Krimson tree?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #1454
Grand Inquisitor

Bincount™: 4314

The Pixies are metal now?

Still barking up that Tool-isn't-prog-or-influenced-by-King-Krimson tree?
12-15-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffton93 View Post
You realize that Opiate and "Red" from King Crimson are roughly as far apart as we are from Lateralus....right?

Since I'm sure you won't count anything from the 80s as "true"
Old 12-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #1455

Quote:
You realize that Opiate and "Red" from King Crimson are roughly as far apart as we are from Lateralus....right?

Since I'm sure you won't count anything from the 80s as "true"
12-15-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
the pixies, janes' addiction, faith no more, etc.? plus, where are these bands now?
The Pixies are in an enviable poisition for people in their 50s. They can make three phone calls, set aside three weeks and go make 10 million dollars in 8 different cities without having to produce one new piece of music.

Janes addiction: who cares. Also see: Lollapalooza. Who do think Tool or APCs bookers talk to when they are put on the festival?

Faith No More: putting out a new album
Old 12-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #1456

Quote:
the pixies, janes' addiction, faith no more, etc.? plus, where are these bands now?
The Pixies are in an enviable poisition for people in their 50s. They can make three phone calls, set aside three weeks and go make 10 million dollars in 8 different cities without having to produce one new piece of music.

Janes addiction: who cares. Also see: Lollapalooza. Who do think Tool or APCs bookers talk to when they are put on the festival?

Faith No More: putting out a new album
Malaclypse
12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

prog died before the 70's? interesting...
Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #1457
Banned.

ithinktherefore's Avatar ithinktherefore
12-15-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
60s prog died in the 70s
70s prog died in the 80s
80s prog died in the 90s....

you get the idea
Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #1458
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 44

Quote:
60s prog died in the 70s
70s prog died in the 80s
80s prog died in the 90s....

you get the idea
12-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I agree.

I want one of dem golden cowboy hats ;)
Old 12-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #1459
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Quote:
I agree.

I want one of dem golden cowboy hats ;)
J A G's Avatar J A G
12-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Old 12-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #1460

Bincount™: 7676

12-15-2014, 07:51 PM

Re: Jeffton93

Everyone is wrong
Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #1461
Level 10 - Vehement

Everyone is wrong
tevin downsend's Avatar tevin downsend
12-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Prog died the day Lynard Skynard's plane fell out of the sky.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #1462

SpiralOut34's Avatar SpiralOut34
12-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post

Everyone is wrong
Especially Robert Fripp.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
Old 12-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #1463
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post

Everyone is wrong
Especially Robert Fripp.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
12-15-2014, 08:20 PM

S is for Stool
Old 12-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #1464
Up From The Skies

S is for Stool
jeffton93
12-17-2014, 11:50 AM

spiralout asked about industrial metal influence in the other thread, i was saying people ignoring it probably didn't have the time to digest the monster that is swans which is understable really (btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHES9YAGGkU)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #1465
Banned.

spiralout asked about industrial metal influence in the other thread, i was saying people ignoring it probably didn't have the time to digest the monster that is swans which is understable really (btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHES9YAGGkU)
Hoser's Avatar Hoser
12-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Was that a point in that post somewhere?

Nearly as meaningless as your link.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #1466
Grand Inquisitor

Was that a point in that post somewhere?

Nearly as meaningless as your link.
12-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Man that joke would have been sooo much better if you spelled the bands name correctly.....
Old 12-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #1467
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

Quote:
Man that joke would have been sooo much better if you spelled the bands name correctly.....
12-17-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I think most people here are familiar with Swans.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #1468

Quote:

Hoser's Avatar Hoser
12-17-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75 View Post
Flyhard Diehard.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #1469
Grand Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75 View Post
Flyhard Diehard.
12-17-2014, 01:13 PM

Old 12-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #1470
Up From The Skies

jeffton93
12-18-2014, 04:37 PM

most people are familiar with this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgVgeDLhio which is very different from this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplAVA-h4H0) and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXHGTD-N8Xc). meaningless? lol...alright, no american band copied swans in the 80s, especially the melvins. also, tool's biggest influence is indeed king crimson, especially their early recordings in the 60s...that's why you see a bunch of old prog fans listening to tool

Last edited by jeffton93; 12-18-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #1471
Banned.

most people are familiar with this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgVgeDLhio which is very different from this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplAVA-h4H0) and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXHGTD-N8Xc). meaningless? lol...alright, no american band copied swans in the 80s, especially the melvins. also, tool's biggest influence is indeed king crimson, especially their early recordings in the 60s...that's why you see a bunch of old prog fans listening to tool

Last edited by jeffton93; 12-18-2014 at 04:43 PM..
12-18-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Was there a point in that post somewhere?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #1472
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Was there a point in that post somewhere?
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
12-18-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You were saying...
Old 12-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #1473
Up From The Skies

Quote:
You were saying...
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
12-18-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Swans are one of my favourite floaty birds.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #1474

Quote:
Swans are one of my favourite floaty birds.
12-18-2014, 11:57 PM

we are all descendants of Elvis
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #1475
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 44

we are all descendants of Elvis
12-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinktherefore View Post
descendants
great punk band
Old 12-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #1476

Bincount™: 2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinktherefore View Post
descendants
great punk band
12-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdEye13 View Post
great punk band
true story; why is everyone so worked up about Tool, just listen to Milo Goes to College instead
Old 12-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #1477
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdEye13 View Post
great punk band
true story; why is everyone so worked up about Tool, just listen to Milo Goes to College instead
12-19-2014, 05:49 PM

Srsly, why is there no 40 page thread about the new INANFTP album?
Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #1478

Srsly, why is there no 40 page thread about the new INANFTP album?
12-19-2014, 06:55 PM

sing us a song rubb
Old 12-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #1479

Bincount™: 7676

sing us a song rubb
SpiralOut34's Avatar SpiralOut34
12-22-2014, 12:06 PM

All these new babies delaying the album, jeez. Congratulations to Danny and Rynne.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #1480
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

All these new babies delaying the album, jeez. Congratulations to Danny and Rynne.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply