opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 13. Ænema
User Name
Password
Old 03-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Tool is the Led Zepplin of our times?

I know TOOL is a mindblowing, awesome band. But to put them in the category of Zepplin is a huge complement. Totally Awesome IMO. If anyone wants to give his/her 2 cents i would appreciate it.

Cheers.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367
Re: Tool is the Led Zepplin of our times?

i'd compare them more to floyd just in terms of their live show, all the artsy stuff, the aura of mystery and the thought they put into their music. to me, zeppelin was just a really really talented and amazing rock band
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
i'd compare them more to floyd just in terms of their live show, all the artsy stuff, the aura of mystery and the thought they put into their music. to me, zeppelin was just a really really talented and amazing rock band
Thanks for the reply, I heard the comment by the gutairist of Isis which has been touring with TOOL and I just wanted to comment on the Zepplin and TOOL comparison. I Agree with the Flloyd comment. Pink and Zepplin are both Rock and Roll hall of fame bands. TOOL in the rock and roll hall of fame? IMO Absolutely.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

I could agree with this. Although I've always taken it a huge step further and stated that I feel Tool is our generations Bach, Beethoven or Mozart. Those guys really put their minds into creating a beautiful piece of art and spent a lot of time and creativity into it. I hope Tool sticks around for awhile. Hell, skip touring if they need to and relax, just kick out a few more albums for us. Tool has changed my life and the way I view the world in so many ways and has opened my mind so much. Name any other band that uses the topics they do in such a positive light actually makes you think or dig into and learn new things searching for a glimpse of the meaning, from there you learn more and more and it's like unwrapping a never ending gift.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I could agree with this. Although I've always taken it a huge step further and stated that I feel Tool is our generations Bach, Beethoven or Mozart. Those guys really put their minds into creating a beautiful piece of art and spent a lot of time and creativity into it. I hope Tool sticks around for awhile. Hell, skip touring if they need to and relax, just kick out a few more albums for us. Tool has changed my life and the way I view the world in so many ways and has opened my mind so much. Name any other band that uses the topics they do in such a positive light actually makes you think or dig into and learn new things searching for a glimpse of the meaning, from there you learn more and more and it's like unwrapping a never ending gift.
That was an awesome post dude. it sounds weird to have TOOL and beethoven in the same sentence, but seriously i can agree. TOOL has changed all of my views in life. Its insane to think about because they have done some much for me. Like you said, even if they have to relax and stop touring I would be ok with that. if they bring us 3 more albums (thats pushing it) after 10,000 days it would be truly awesome. And ,in that case, we are 2/3 through TOOL's wonderful career. Its something to get excited about but i doubt it. LONG LIVE TOOL.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

all the bands/groups/musicians mentioned in the thread all have the same thing in common from my view, they are all thought inspiring music
Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
On Probation

Bincount™: 249

in a recent interview with maynard, adam and the 2 guitar players from ISIS one of the guys said TOOL is the Led Zepplin of our time.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

yeah i read that in a revolover magazine. that influenced me to start this thread.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:41 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

God, ISIS is fucking awesome. They along with tool always bring visions to my mind unlike most bands. I get very angelic visions and feelings from ISIS. When I saw ISIS open for tool at the Gorge amphitheatre in Washington last summer, not many people seemed interested in ISIS during their set. But hey, what the fuck ever. They are still up there with tool in my eyes.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Yeah, I read that interview with Revolver Magazine and Isis (whom are also quite awesome possum), I see where they're coming from, too. Here are what both bands have in common.

-I like both Led Zeppelin and Tool.
-Both are influential to thier times, but every band that sites them as an influence sucks.
-Both have amazing drummers.
-Both have websites.
-Both have albums.

Now, all silly lists aside, its a pretty good statement. I mean, Zep was innovative as far as what they did, several genres that could change per song (blues, heavy rock, ballads, etc.), and some complicated and whacked out shit was written by Paige. Tool are the same, except Tool is probably a lot more complex, creative, and better.

and I agree with justify_denials, ISIS is fucking awesome.

Church: Did you just call my girlfriend a cow?

Tucker: No, dude, I think he called her a slut.

-Red Vs. Blue
Old 05-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
I'd like to add that their live shows are a lot more similar than you may think! I've had this in my head for a while, and I thought of making a new thread, but I'll just write it here.

In the beginning, PF played experimental setlists with new songs all the time (there are a bunch of random live only tunes, especially from the Barrett era). As they started to get better and more popular, they started expanding their technology, getting the Azimuth Coordinator (their quad sound system) and they started expanding their setlists. They honed a lot of material in their live performances that would later be used for other things (More/Man & the Journey suite, Eclipse: A Piece for Assorted Lunatics, Echoes, tons of other crap). Eventually, after their biggest success (DSOTM), their live performance started focusing more on the show and less on the originality and creativity. Sure, they always improv'd with Echoes, and they did pretty much do Animals on the road, but if you look at the incredibly varied and exciting setlists of 66-72 and compare those to the stale arena touring setlists of 73-77, you'll see that there is a huge difference. Eventually Waters snapped and they stopped playing massive arenas until he left the band.

In the beginning, Tool played experimental setlists with new songs all the time. They played a lot of the tracks from Undertow before even Opiate came out. They started to get more creative after Undertow, and they toured in 94 and 95 playing great songs like Prison Sex OTRM, H., Stinkfist, Eulogy, Pushit, and No Quarter. Ænima came out and they started playing bigger venues. They got more creative--they made Merkaba, they covered Stranglehold, You Lied, and Spasm, they started extending/rethinking other songs, like Stinkfist and Pushit.

But then around the Lateralus era, they started playing bigger venues. Their live performance wasn't necessarily about the presentation of new material or an outlet for their creativity, but more about the experience. They had a message, and it seemed like that, in addition to their growing perfectionism, was the main focus, rather than making a 'surprising' setlist. I think at around this time, their mainstream audience was growing, so playing a setlist composed of entirely weird tunes and covers (which they had done extensively in 94/95 and to some extent on the Ænima tour) was just not gonna jive. They still shook it up, inventing new things like Flood > Grudge without a pause and the various interludes (i.e. Eon Red Apocalypse), ramping up the number of guests, and adding a ton of visuals. It seemed that the most important part now was the visuals. Osseus Labyrint, bigger/better screens, Alex Grey's massive artwork all over the stage, lights, etc were all brand new.

And then the 10,000 Days tour. The tour started off in a strange fashion, with setlists consisting of "the hits" interspersed with their attempts at playing new songs. At first I had no idea what was going on with the tour but when I eventually saw them in September (and watched/listened to almost every show of the 06/07 tour), I understood perfectly what they were doing.

Tool just wants you to have the experience, I don't think that they're in this game for the same reason they used to be. That's why they play pretty much the same setlists made up of pretty much the same tunes (and a hell of a lot of hits). I really think that Tool needs to just hand people acid tabs at the door so they'll "get it". Sit back, be amazed, and listen to what they're giving you.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

You're awesome. You know... I wish I was just a little older so that I could have gotten into the evolution of their live shows. I'll be 22 in a few weeks, and I really only began listening to Tool when I was about 15, and it was certainly casual at first. I knew they were great hard-rockers and my friends who introduced me to them really reenforced that idea. I remember when I first heard them I didn't see what all the hype was about, and I was almost annoyed about not being able to hear the singer well at times. Now, of course, I love that style of singing, and it really blows my mind. But at the time, I was just thinking "Yeah, these guys sure are loud as fuck, but I like Nirvana, In Utero better." Something like that, bearing in mind my previous experience with music and all.

The hook for me was 46 & 2. I remember just listening to the album and thinking, hey track 2 was pretty cool with the drum thingy. Then later I'm just hit with this awesome smooth ass bassline. The whole build up was great, and the shadow lyrics were so mysterious and cool to me. What did "Change is coming through my shadow. Now is my time. 46 & 2 just ahead of me." all really mean. My friends were totally right. Years later I stumbled on this site and read the FAQ. It blew my fucking mind. I knew they were deep and poetic, and they were definitely my favorite band, but holy fucking shit I was blown away by all the meanings. I realised that Tool's goal was to change people's lives through music; I see now that they are 21st century philosophes. I then set out a personal goal to see Tool live in my lifetime no matter what. I went to the Dallas show last year for my first show. What an unforgettable experience! I'll be seeing them again in two weeks and I'm very stoked.

But I wish that I could have seen their live shows over the years. And to those of you who've had that chance, you are all very fortunate. They are composers just like Bach and Beethoven. If you were to put heavy distortion on a lot of classical riffs, what is the result? Moving metal the likes of Tool. Lateralus is my personal favorite second to Aenima, barely. I would have loved to have seen them on a Lateralus tour, but that time has passed. I think they're just the greatest band ever. I really see what people are saying about the Pink Floyd similarities. I told my mother the same thing one time, and she agrees. They are both bands meant to take the listener on a journey, especially with Tool's latest works. I hear people razz on their latest tours, and I really think they're being snobs about it. Lateralus may have indeed been a slightly more emotional/moving show for me to see, but they certainly left an impression when I saw them last. I remember thinking, this will be one of those experiences I'll never forget and always recollect fondly. The show was astounding and Tool were really in their element, even if Maynard was a little sick. There wasn't a soul I talked to after the show that wasn't like "Oh my God!" or "That was totally fucking awesome!" People knew they had just got through seeing a living musical legend, Tool.

So we're all totally right to say these things. Comparing them so classic acts like Led Zepplin. Hell, even Maynard himself said that he wanted Tool to be one of those timeless bands like Pink Floyd. He fucking said that himself. I don't know if you guys have ever had the privilege of talking to a cool hippie or anything, but they're hilarious. One I know pretty well once said, "Man, we thought music was going to change the world. Free love was everywhere and drugs were legal." He'd lean back and say this with a glow in his eye, very relaxed, always holding back a little laughter. Other good times we missed out on. I kinda wish we could be hippies, but society is taught to hate people like that, or associate them with being bums, stinky and unintelligent. Okay, they can sometimes be stinky, but bums?? Well, in my experience definitely not. They are usually very self-sufficient people, just trying to voice that little "Fuck you!" to the man by not conforming in some ways, and they get a bad rap for it.

I think Tool is great at getting people to really think. They're good at offending you so you want to investigate why they say the things they do, only to find that you are in complete agreement with them most of the time. They tackle the real and tough issues in humanity that people have a bad habit of repressing. That's why when you go to a show we might find ourselves throwing our hands up in the air Shakespearean-epic style with the music simply because we are finally getting it out of our system. A sweet release of pent up emotions so to speak. These guys change people's... take that back, they go so far as to mold people's lives in a positive way, and THAT is a very commendable and very hard thing to achieve.

I hope they keep doing what they do. I thnk if they do another album, it will be a little more relxed all the way through for the most part. They are getting older. That doesn't mean they should stop, it just means they're probably going to really relax you with their next album. It will have it's intensity of course, and the music will be masterful; I just think they're not going to be as well... "peircing" with their next album. Maynard will probably back off a little more, and do more mellow vocals too. Which is really fine considering he still does that kind of singing wonderfully. The next album will be just as or more thought evoking than Lateralus. This all me talking out my ass, but you if you guys fancy a new album, that's very likely what will be in store. I look at it as a great thing. I mean, I really don't know if they'll have another album after this one, but it's nice to dream, and I think it's possible.

Sorry for the rant. I just love Tool, and this a very cool thread because it's been voicing opinions I've held the whole time.

-Spiral out

Last edited by Cheesegreater; 05-02-2007 at 07:12 PM..
Old 05-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

It's okay, Cheesegrater, it was a very good rant. And we all love Tool.

I'd have to agree with the both of you here. About the live shows especially, and I don't see why they would premier any new songs on a tour, Tool just doesn't seem like that kind of band to me.

But man, Cheesegrater, I've been saying that shit about how Tool = composers (Beethoven and Bach) for years, thanks for enforcing that statement, dude.

-SS

Church: Did you just call my girlfriend a cow?

Tucker: No, dude, I think he called her a slut.

-Red Vs. Blue
Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

i think tool is pink floyd version, only with rage and anger
Old 03-04-2021, 10:50 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

I'd have to say higher. Led Zeppelin is great, but Tools music seems to have a lot deeper meaning. With the band members mentioning themes of Lachrymology, Sacred Geometry, and other complicated ideals that they portray. I just don't feel like Led Zeppelin had as much of those idea's. Also I do feel like the musicians in Tool are more talented than Led Zeppein. I know the members were largely influenced by them, but since they were influenced they have become more skilled.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: