opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 05. Forty-Six & 2
User Name
Password
Old 10-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Jungian Theory???

Basically, it's believed that there are three levels of human evolution and each has it's form of conciousness. There's the 1st level with 44 chromosones. These are primitve people's like the aboriginies in Australia who do not percieve anything outside of themselves. They only see one large conciousness with no distinguishment between organisms. Then there's the second level with 46 chromosones. That is us. We are a chaotic disharmonic conciousness that is basically used as a stepping stone between the first and third levels. The third level is 48 chromosones. (Or 46 & 2, with 2 being the sex chromosones x & y). This is the higher level of conciousness. Our destination.

But this is where the Jungian theory comes in. It is believed that you can not reach this third level of evolution without first delving into yourself and basically cleansing your conciousness for the next jump. That's where the Shadow comes in. The shadow is basically everything about that is unseen that you are uncomfortable with or hate. This is also known as the Anima (hence the name of the CD).
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Jungian Theory???

yea i heard about this jungian theory too, its that 46 & 2 is the chromosome number of the third level of being, something humanity strives to become, right now we are only 46
Old 01-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

dont apes have 48?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Medium Pimpin'

Bincount™: 1282

Dudes.
http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-This-B.../dp/1883319013

Read this book. It's pretty much all from there.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADT757 View Post
This is also known as the Anima (hence the name of the CD).
The CD name is actually AENIMA, which is purposely a combination of ANIMA and ENIMA - in other words to cleanse your inner self and soul and begin anew
Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Basically, it's believed that there are three levels of human evolution and each has it's form of conciousness. There's the 1st level with 44 chromosones. These are primitve people's like the aboriginies in Australia who do not percieve anything outside of themselves. They only see one large conciousness with no distinguishment between organisms. Then there's the second level with 46 chromosones. That is us. We are a chaotic disharmonic conciousness that is basically used as a stepping stone between the first and third levels. The third level is 48 chromosones. (Or 46 & 2, with 2 being the sex chromosones x & y). This is the higher level of conciousness. Our destination.

But this is where the Jungian theory comes in. It is believed that you can not reach this third level of evolution without first delving into yourself and basically cleansing your conciousness for the next jump. That's where the Shadow comes in. The shadow is basically everything about that is unseen that you are uncomfortable with or hate. This is also known as the Anima (hence the name of the CD).

I liked your explaination of the jungian theory. However there is a little mor to the shadow and the aenima/ aenimus theory. The aenima represents the female and the irrational side of a man and the aenimus represents the the male and the rational side of a woman.
I think that the aenima theory could explain the homosexual undertones through out the album, ect. And the identification with his mother Judith(APC) and Brena. Because the theory coveres the Oedipus complex and love at first sight.
But Jung also promoted the spiritual experience.
I ran across this information researching Carl Jung and the 12 steps. Which these theories were used in the contribution of the steps.
I don't know if I articulated myself correctly. But you may find it interesting as well.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

All it seems to me to be more than interesting topic to read about. Where can I gain some info? Could you pls make me dedicated
Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

yea, thats jung alright
now read up on how to do this, the qabala, the 23 step tree of life

to get to the 46&2 and finally open ur third eye u must get an aenema
Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 84

The shadow and anima, however you want to spell it, are the two main archetypes of the psyche but there are many more, Christ = Self for one, and all the charachters in your dreams reveal something about your unknown Self, another way to do it is to go "digging" into this "part of you", you already have an aenima, but she may be a "hooker with a penis", instead of an angel or something nice

Last edited by thezeusanator; 03-15-2007 at 07:44 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Good God, this has been discussed so many times.

Anywho, good find, if you found it on your own.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:45 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandambrock View Post
I liked your explaination of the jungian theory. However there is a little mor to the shadow and the aenima/ aenimus theory. The aenima represents the female and the irrational side of a man and the aenimus represents the the male and the rational side of a woman.
I think that the aenima theory could explain the homosexual undertones through out the album, ect. And the identification with his mother Judith(APC) and Brena. Because the theory coveres the Oedipus complex and love at first sight.
But Jung also promoted the spiritual experience.
I ran across this information researching Carl Jung and the 12 steps. Which these theories were used in the contribution of the steps.
I don't know if I articulated myself correctly. But you may find it interesting as well.

You're quite right with your explaination except for the fact that your ANIMA is your anger and hatred 'your SHADOW' and is explained as a shadow. At 46 chromosones it is believed that each cell in our body has its own conciousness and our mind/soul keeps them under control and in alignment to an extent. In order to have better control over your cells you must progress passed the anger inside you 'your SHADOW' and not rid yourself of hatred and anger but rather learn to channel it and use it constructively. In other words give yourself an ANIMA ENEMA or AENIMA. this song is about self progression and passing into a state of 48 chromosones, a state of equilibrium per say. It is a song of self enlightenment and discovery for TOOL. as you have heard after this album the 'ANGRY' tool was a thing of the past. this whole album based on synicism and progression. the band itself gave itself an anima enema and most of us fans have strived to follow.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:54 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 11

Carl Jung is turning in his grave at the utter abuse of his theory at the hands of a bunch of illiterate tool fans. Here's an idea people: READ A FUCKING BOOK. READ SOME JUNG. Its not that difficult...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Cat got my tongue

Bincount™: 3250

^
I agree with you. Yes, I discovered Jung through Tool, but I did my own reading and a lot of the posts in this particular thread are incorrect. If you want the real meaning on the Shadow, Anima, Animus, the Self, the ego, and transcendece (or Jung's definition thereof), read up on it. Don't take someone's word for it on here. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it could be true that someone was misinformed and, in turn, misinformed others.

Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel
Old 03-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient215 View Post
^
I agree with you. Yes, I discovered Jung through Tool, but I did my own reading and a lot of the posts in this particular thread are incorrect. If you want the real meaning on the Shadow, Anima, Animus, the Self, the ego, and transcendece (or Jung's definition thereof), read up on it. Don't take someone's word for it on here. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it could be true that someone was misinformed and, in turn, misinformed others.
Not everything Jung wrote was clearly defined and that's my take. Interpretation is key to every piece of literature out there, those who are educated understand this fact
Old 03-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #15
Cat got my tongue

Bincount™: 3250

I was not knocking anyone specifically, so for you to take offense means that you thought I was speaking directly to you. True, interpretation is subjective, but I do not believe that interpretation should stray too far from the intended idea or meaning. I agree that Jung's writing is a bit difficult to fully comprehend, and not written for the casual reader. This is what makes it so worthwhile when you do understand it. "Anything worth doing is never easy." And please, I mean no offense to anyone with anything I have said. Thank you.

Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel
Old 07-04-2007, 04:40 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerand View Post
this song is about self progression and passing into a state of 48 chromosones, a state of equilibrium per say.
I think this equilibrium is in the title :
46 (us, with our actual number of chromosomes) and 2 (conscious and unconscious united)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

What you are saying is false on a few levels, OP. Let me explain what he is trying to say:
Yes, the shadow IS a part of Jungian theory; The Collective Unconscious, or Archetypes. There are 5 different archetypes, one of them being the Shadow. The list is as follows,
1. The Self
2. The Shadow
3. The Anima
4. The Animus
5. The Persona.

The Anima IS the reason that Tool named their album after this, but it isn't The Shadow. The Anima is actually the part of the male psyche that views femininity.

One last thing,
The Shadow isn't always everything we hate about ourselves. The Shadow is the part of our psyche that holds aspects of ourself that we unconsciously hide from our real personalities. Basically, it's the opposite of our ego.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

One word... Humility, crawling on your belly is submission to the beast within...
Your subconscious mind is the "through another memory".
In order to be absolved you must face the "choose to live or to die" and you may have "what it takes to break through".
Also, in parting, I love you all and I am so glad to be apart of this beautiful diaspora! You all are my kindred, que sera sera!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: