Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Winter ("AU Summer") 2011
User Name
Password
SadSummerSea's Avatar SadSummerSea
01-16-2011, 02:45 PM

SETLIST --

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553
02.02.11 - Melbourne @ Myer Bowl

SETLIST --

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
radiolocke
02-02-2011, 05:52 AM

Setlist

1.third eye
2.jambi
3.Vicarious
4.Intension
5.Right In Two
6.You Lied
7.Schism
8.Lateralus
9.aenema
10.(-)Ions
11.Stinkfist

This was my 4th time seeing Tool. Saw them once in 01, once in 02, once in 07. If I ordered them from best to worst, I would rate this as being somewhere round the middle. My biggest negative is the timing of the tour; unlike other times there was no fresh new Tool album that I've been listening to to get me excited about hearing the brand new songs played live. Oh well maybe that'll happen next year.

Highlights; It was really cool hearing You Lied. Thats a song I never thought I would hear Tool play live at a concert I attended. Third Eye was an awesome opener and is another song that I have never heard them play live before at a show I attended.

Comments on alt versions; I love the "quick" part in schism that they play live. It sounds fantastic. Likewise, the extended section of Stikfist is cool as too. Unfortunately they lose their impact a little for me because I've heard them done this way before. The Lateralus middle section was interesting, not sure if I liked it. I think all the drums stuff was awesome on its own, but it kind of ruined the pacing of the song for me. I mean, that part of Lateralus is the part that really builds just before the rock out ending. The middle part felt like they'd paused the song, did some crazy cool drum stuff, then pressed play again on the rest of Lateralus. As said, didn't mind it but just wished they'd done it in another song maybe.

About the venue; I had GA lawn tickets and was worried that this would suck because I remember people whinging a lot last time about the show that had these tickets, whereas I obliviously had a ball up the front in the seats. Don't know if people will complain this time but the lawn was fine for me, still had a great view, crowd was fun and enthusiastic around me (except the annoying guy who kept whistling with his fingers next to me, blowing out my right ear drum, seriously, you can whistle loud, great, who cares). Sound quality was probably better then last time I saw them at the music bowl, I've heard people I think in the Sydney show complain that Maynard's voice was too low on the mix, he sounded great to me tonight, could hear him very well.

Other comments; Did anyone else notice there was a stuff up towards then end of Right In Two? Think Adam played a part too early, tried to catch up with where Danny was. Thats what I thought went wrong anyway.

Overall; Good show, I had fun, just didn't knock me out. I think to knock me out I would have liked hearing "Jerk Off", "Prison Sex", or even "Pushit" Salival version. Am I dreaming hoping for these things? Probably.

At least this show reminded me why I love Tool so much, and that's definately not a bad thing. Bring on a new album!

Last edited by radiolocke; 02-02-2011 at 05:55 AM..
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.02.11 - Melbourne @ Myer Bowl

Setlist

1.third eye
2.jambi
3.Vicarious
4.Intension
5.Right In Two
6.You Lied
7.Schism
8.Lateralus
9.aenema
10.(-)Ions
11.Stinkfist

This was my 4th time seeing Tool. Saw them once in 01, once in 02, once in 07. If I ordered them from best to worst, I would rate this as being somewhere round the middle. My biggest negative is the timing of the tour; unlike other times there was no fresh new Tool album that I've been listening to to get me excited about hearing the brand new songs played live. Oh well maybe that'll happen next year.

Highlights; It was really cool hearing You Lied. Thats a song I never thought I would hear Tool play live at a concert I attended. Third Eye was an awesome opener and is another song that I have never heard them play live before at a show I attended.

Comments on alt versions; I love the "quick" part in schism that they play live. It sounds fantastic. Likewise, the extended section of Stikfist is cool as too. Unfortunately they lose their impact a little for me because I've heard them done this way before. The Lateralus middle section was interesting, not sure if I liked it. I think all the drums stuff was awesome on its own, but it kind of ruined the pacing of the song for me. I mean, that part of Lateralus is the part that really builds just before the rock out ending. The middle part felt like they'd paused the song, did some crazy cool drum stuff, then pressed play again on the rest of Lateralus. As said, didn't mind it but just wished they'd done it in another song maybe.

About the venue; I had GA lawn tickets and was worried that this would suck because I remember people whinging a lot last time about the show that had these tickets, whereas I obliviously had a ball up the front in the seats. Don't know if people will complain this time but the lawn was fine for me, still had a great view, crowd was fun and enthusiastic around me (except the annoying guy who kept whistling with his fingers next to me, blowing out my right ear drum, seriously, you can whistle loud, great, who cares). Sound quality was probably better then last time I saw them at the music bowl, I've heard people I think in the Sydney show complain that Maynard's voice was too low on the mix, he sounded great to me tonight, could hear him very well.

Other comments; Did anyone else notice there was a stuff up towards then end of Right In Two? Think Adam played a part too early, tried to catch up with where Danny was. Thats what I thought went wrong anyway.

Overall; Good show, I had fun, just didn't knock me out. I think to knock me out I would have liked hearing "Jerk Off", "Prison Sex", or even "Pushit" Salival version. Am I dreaming hoping for these things? Probably.

At least this show reminded me why I love Tool so much, and that's definately not a bad thing. Bring on a new album!

Last edited by radiolocke; 02-02-2011 at 05:55 AM..
khat
02-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Yup. Exactly the same set as Brisbane, a little ho-hum that it was an exact copy. And (-) Ions was hardly played, merely sampled a little before stinkfist. Maynard spoke a little more and dedicated Aemina to all the shit going on (presumably QLD natural disasters).

As for mistakes I think Adam played a Jambi chord a little early right at the start which triggered a video frame to start playing early as well. It looked a bit out of place compared to other shows this tour. Also Adam missed the right string at the start on Intension which made me cringe.

Last edited by khat; 02-02-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Yup. Exactly the same set as Brisbane, a little ho-hum that it was an exact copy. And (-) Ions was hardly played, merely sampled a little before stinkfist. Maynard spoke a little more and dedicated Aemina to all the shit going on (presumably QLD natural disasters).

As for mistakes I think Adam played a Jambi chord a little early right at the start which triggered a video frame to start playing early as well. It looked a bit out of place compared to other shows this tour. Also Adam missed the right string at the start on Intension which made me cringe.

Last edited by khat; 02-02-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Vertigo
02-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Tonight was my first Tool concert. I think the same goes for anyones first Tool concert: I was blown away.

Jakob was a great opener and really suited Tool's sound. I think Adam and Justin played on one of their songs too (I think it was them, not sure).

I don't think I can fault Tool in any way. Only thing I can nitpick about was that I would have liked to have heard some stuff from Undertow but whatever. Can't really complain because what ever comes out of those speakers sounds incredible.

radiolocke, I think I have to agree with the Sydney people. I was in the seated area and Maynard's voice seemed to be a little overpowered by everything else and at times the bass overpowered the lead which wasn't great. My friend who saw them in Brisbane also agrees.

The visuals, as I have seen before are incredible and even better in real life.

Can't wait til the next time they are over here!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Tonight was my first Tool concert. I think the same goes for anyones first Tool concert: I was blown away.

Jakob was a great opener and really suited Tool's sound. I think Adam and Justin played on one of their songs too (I think it was them, not sure).

I don't think I can fault Tool in any way. Only thing I can nitpick about was that I would have liked to have heard some stuff from Undertow but whatever. Can't really complain because what ever comes out of those speakers sounds incredible.

radiolocke, I think I have to agree with the Sydney people. I was in the seated area and Maynard's voice seemed to be a little overpowered by everything else and at times the bass overpowered the lead which wasn't great. My friend who saw them in Brisbane also agrees.

The visuals, as I have seen before are incredible and even better in real life.

Can't wait til the next time they are over here!
junior
02-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khat View Post

For the record, and everyone who insists that "(-) ions" be included on setlist posts:

It has never been on a setlist, to my knowledge. Danny plays some Jacob's Ladders samples prior to "Stinkfist". They've been doing it this way for years, and it's not "(-) ions". No-one within the organization refers to it as that.

The video on Jambi started early tonight because the way the Myer Bowl is set up, none of us at the Front of House control position could see the stage. If the lower seated area stands (as they did all night) there is no view of the stage whatsoever. The venue is suited for seated shows (symphonies, etc.)
Our video guy heard Adam make some noise and thought he was starting the song. Usually we can see the band. Not tonight.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by khat View Post

For the record, and everyone who insists that "(-) ions" be included on setlist posts:

It has never been on a setlist, to my knowledge. Danny plays some Jacob's Ladders samples prior to "Stinkfist". They've been doing it this way for years, and it's not "(-) ions". No-one within the organization refers to it as that.

The video on Jambi started early tonight because the way the Myer Bowl is set up, none of us at the Front of House control position could see the stage. If the lower seated area stands (as they did all night) there is no view of the stage whatsoever. The venue is suited for seated shows (symphonies, etc.)
Our video guy heard Adam make some noise and thought he was starting the song. Usually we can see the band. Not tonight.
K@t
02-02-2011, 06:52 AM

I was in the third row and it was absolutely epic! It was all so tight, lighting/visuals were insane and the sound.....just wow! what else can i say. They seemed to all really enjoy themselves tonight. there may have been a few technical issues at the start but the way Tool handle it just shows how awesome they really are and you just move on! Also got to met Alex Grey who was front and center which was pretty cool!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
K@t
Level 1 - Lurker

I was in the third row and it was absolutely epic! It was all so tight, lighting/visuals were insane and the sound.....just wow! what else can i say. They seemed to all really enjoy themselves tonight. there may have been a few technical issues at the start but the way Tool handle it just shows how awesome they really are and you just move on! Also got to met Alex Grey who was front and center which was pretty cool!
A.S.H
02-02-2011, 07:04 AM

It seems protocol is to say how many times you've seen Tool live when posting; all I'll give away is that it's a number less than six, but more than four. So how did tonight rank?

Well, nothing compares to your first Tool gig which, for myself, had the added bonus of a performance of "Pushit" (now nearly a decade ago when I was a teenager), but I think tonight was the first truly "different" Tool show I had seen. It seemed a more spacey, relaxed, atmospheric night with them. I think this was due mostly to the inclusion of the trio of "Intension", "Right In Two" and "You Lied". It really made for a long reflective middle part in the show. The closing duo of "Aenema" and "Stinkfist" was powerful. With a god-awful cyclone about to hit North Queensland, "Aenema" actually became more resonant rather than serving as a cruel reminder and although only a small addition - the arpeggio Adam played at the beginning of the second verse of "Stinkfist" just took the entire piece to another level of me. I can't be bothered ranking it amongst their other shows - as with all Tool performances it was worth everyones time who attended. I mean they're not a bunch of thirty year olds anymore (their median age at the time they first toured Australia) so I'll excuse them for perhaps not wanting to become parodies of themselves by digging into their angrier more explosive period of song writing (though I'm only guessing here as to their reasoning). So yeah a night without any Opiate or Undertow on display I won't begrudge and just finish by saying they did really well as per usual :)

Last edited by A.S.H; 02-02-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

It seems protocol is to say how many times you've seen Tool live when posting; all I'll give away is that it's a number less than six, but more than four. So how did tonight rank?

Well, nothing compares to your first Tool gig which, for myself, had the added bonus of a performance of "Pushit" (now nearly a decade ago when I was a teenager), but I think tonight was the first truly "different" Tool show I had seen. It seemed a more spacey, relaxed, atmospheric night with them. I think this was due mostly to the inclusion of the trio of "Intension", "Right In Two" and "You Lied". It really made for a long reflective middle part in the show. The closing duo of "Aenema" and "Stinkfist" was powerful. With a god-awful cyclone about to hit North Queensland, "Aenema" actually became more resonant rather than serving as a cruel reminder and although only a small addition - the arpeggio Adam played at the beginning of the second verse of "Stinkfist" just took the entire piece to another level of me. I can't be bothered ranking it amongst their other shows - as with all Tool performances it was worth everyones time who attended. I mean they're not a bunch of thirty year olds anymore (their median age at the time they first toured Australia) so I'll excuse them for perhaps not wanting to become parodies of themselves by digging into their angrier more explosive period of song writing (though I'm only guessing here as to their reasoning). So yeah a night without any Opiate or Undertow on display I won't begrudge and just finish by saying they did really well as per usual :)

Last edited by A.S.H; 02-02-2011 at 07:09 AM..
chinaskies
02-02-2011, 07:23 AM

song 4 ,5 and 6 had everyone confused.. first time for me at the meyer and i wont be back.. gestapo tactics on filming.. no beer and the lay out... what a shit house.. nice to hear you lied.. i swear i was the only one in 50 meters around that knew the song.
.. right around ten they should've played flood. Jimmy's pipes where just at the best but my big complaint was adam was on one side and justin the other.. the whole gig.. and no spontinaity.. just come out.. perform and comment on a ninja... not like the old days
give it a b- on the toolmeter
Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

song 4 ,5 and 6 had everyone confused.. first time for me at the meyer and i wont be back.. gestapo tactics on filming.. no beer and the lay out... what a shit house.. nice to hear you lied.. i swear i was the only one in 50 meters around that knew the song.
.. right around ten they should've played flood. Jimmy's pipes where just at the best but my big complaint was adam was on one side and justin the other.. the whole gig.. and no spontinaity.. just come out.. perform and comment on a ninja... not like the old days
give it a b- on the toolmeter
A.S.H
02-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Oh yeah the whole no pictures/filming thing was a pedantic move. One of my friends had her camera confiscated upon entry (just something she usually carries around with her, it wasn't for the evening) and had to pick it up after the show. But, to me it just showed the stupidity of it all - most peoples phones contain better cameras than what she had. Further, you can't realistically enforce it; for everyone caught filming and told to stop there will be five doing the same without being noticed. So I wonder why bother with the rule at all?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Oh yeah the whole no pictures/filming thing was a pedantic move. One of my friends had her camera confiscated upon entry (just something she usually carries around with her, it wasn't for the evening) and had to pick it up after the show. But, to me it just showed the stupidity of it all - most peoples phones contain better cameras than what she had. Further, you can't realistically enforce it; for everyone caught filming and told to stop there will be five doing the same without being noticed. So I wonder why bother with the rule at all?
kanaduh
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Sorry to post in this thread, I was not at the show.

But, can someone confirm if this is true or not?

Junior?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post

Junior?
02-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Justin definitely played with Jakob (I spoke with them after the set), and I'm reasonably sure the other Guy was Adam.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Justin definitely played with Jakob (I spoke with them after the set), and I'm reasonably sure the other Guy was Adam.
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM

There were two people on stage for one of Jakob's songs - one was wearing a camo-style suit covered in tassels and another was a somewhat normal looking dude. Jakob were awesome by the way. Hopefully soon they'll do a headline tour of Australia because so far I've only seen them play for half hour sets supporting Cog and Tool.

Great show. You Lied was cool to hear as a rare song, but really, regardless of the crowd not knowing it, I didn't enjoy it that much. Much less awesome and dynamic than the rest of the set. Third Eye was probably the highlight for me, it was such an epic opener. I had a GA lawn ticket and lined up early to get a sweet spot on the barrier. This was a much better experience than last time at the Music Bowl. To my ears it seemed like the sound quality was better than last time too.

I'm think Adam's guitar died in Jambi after the first chorus because he hurried over to his guitar tech and got another one, then resumed playing after a short break. Also, Right In Two sounded like it ended weirdly, I'm pretty sure they made a boo-boo there. The Lateralus breakdown in the middle was cool but I agree that it wasn't the best song for it. It was the song I was most looking forward to that I reasonably expected to hear (the other unlikely option being Reflection) and this kinda funked the mood of it.

No complaints from me at all though, this was right up there with '02.

Last edited by Elgyn; 02-02-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

There were two people on stage for one of Jakob's songs - one was wearing a camo-style suit covered in tassels and another was a somewhat normal looking dude. Jakob were awesome by the way. Hopefully soon they'll do a headline tour of Australia because so far I've only seen them play for half hour sets supporting Cog and Tool.

Great show. You Lied was cool to hear as a rare song, but really, regardless of the crowd not knowing it, I didn't enjoy it that much. Much less awesome and dynamic than the rest of the set. Third Eye was probably the highlight for me, it was such an epic opener. I had a GA lawn ticket and lined up early to get a sweet spot on the barrier. This was a much better experience than last time at the Music Bowl. To my ears it seemed like the sound quality was better than last time too.

I'm think Adam's guitar died in Jambi after the first chorus because he hurried over to his guitar tech and got another one, then resumed playing after a short break. Also, Right In Two sounded like it ended weirdly, I'm pretty sure they made a boo-boo there. The Lateralus breakdown in the middle was cool but I agree that it wasn't the best song for it. It was the song I was most looking forward to that I reasonably expected to hear (the other unlikely option being Reflection) and this kinda funked the mood of it.

No complaints from me at all though, this was right up there with '02.

Last edited by Elgyn; 02-02-2011 at 02:31 PM..
mig5
02-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn View Post
I'm think Adam's guitar died in Jambi after the first chorus because he hurried over to his guitar tech and got another one, then resumed playing after a short break.
Yeah I heard/saw that too. Justin seemed to switch to a sort of distorted semi-bass-chord rendition of Adam's parts for those few bars and kept looking sharply to his right to see what was going on :)

Didn't sound that bad, was more obvious if you were watching what was happening.

Third Eye was the highlight! Holy shit :) I found it arguably better than '07 at the same venue. Still think Rod Laver was a better venue in 01 (or whenever it was), hope they play there again some day.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I'm think Adam's guitar died in Jambi after the first chorus because he hurried over to his guitar tech and got another one, then resumed playing after a short break.
Yeah I heard/saw that too. Justin seemed to switch to a sort of distorted semi-bass-chord rendition of Adam's parts for those few bars and kept looking sharply to his right to see what was going on :)

Didn't sound that bad, was more obvious if you were watching what was happening.

Third Eye was the highlight! Holy shit :) I found it arguably better than '07 at the same venue. Still think Rod Laver was a better venue in 01 (or whenever it was), hope they play there again some day.
lpgru1
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM

So do we actually know who the extra drummers were in Lateralus? I thought Maynard said something about Pucsifer when thanking them. Did I hear that right? Would love to know, it was EPIC.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

So do we actually know who the extra drummers were in Lateralus? I thought Maynard said something about Pucsifer when thanking them. Did I hear that right? Would love to know, it was EPIC.
inequitude
02-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

Junior?
Allrightythen-

After Jakob's 1st song Adam came out and was having a look at them on the side of the stage near his guitar guru who, from a distance, oddly looks like BMB without the bob cut. Some people spotted him and started pointing/taking pictures. He then ducked down into a position which looked like he was either hiding or, as it happened, grabbing this fluorescent orange thing from a cabinet... the same color as the security guards. I thought he was going to pull a shifty and get dressed up as one to come out and get a better view. He went back behind the stage and didn't see him for the rest of the song.

So Jakob was pounding away- highly recommended that everyone takes the opportunity to see these guys- and out from Adam's side of the stage, commando styles, crawls a person dressed up in a scooby doo'esque swamp monster costume. Does a few scrambles around the drum kit and ends up over towards Justin's gear. Someone is waiting there, with a... guess what?... Bass. Still crouched and now a little obscured behind some cabinets this swamp wookie is armed with a Bass Guitar... with a spiral on its strap.

Enter now another odd looking character- a guy with a fluorescent orange security vest over his head with what appears to be a Les Paul Silverburst. There you have it. Adam and Justin on stage with Jakob. They were playing a breakdown on one of their songs and Adam whacked out some soundscapes. Justin in his wookie costume chimed in with some resonant thunder and in less than 5 mins they were off again.

Rynne was there taking snaps of the whole night so perhaps we will be lucky enough to see some of the evening. The ones she took up on Danny's kit would have looked awesome with the amphitheater crowd, not too dissimilar to red rocks... minus the red.... and the rocks. Yeah.

I'll spare you the comments about Third Eye being played etc, but some other interesting moments of the night were, as already mentioned, about 2 mins before the lights went off Alex and Alison Grey walked out to take their seats. Such a peaceful looking dude. Very surreal seeing him there, and great to see them well recovered and enjoying a holiday in Melb.

Kudos to Junior for a tremendous night on the lights. Little issue with Jambi flame intro but who cares. The intermission was intense and it's certainly worth paying attention and getting lost in the geometric evolutions.

Yes Adam messed up a little towards the end of Right in Two and it got quite messy for a while, but in an odd kind of way this added a live aspect to the performance which made it a little better... if that makes sense?

Their intro to Vicarious was tending towards Flood (or Intolerance?), but then it went the other way. The unusual thing about playing this song so early in the set is it went from not too many lights and visuals to the full tilt laser show which previously had been at the end of the night. MJK played some new harmonies in it which sounded neat.

Schism and Stinkfist extensions were new'ish in some regards. Lateralus intro was also mixed up a little bit by Adam.

Jason from Jakob came on for the breakdown of Lateralus and was joined by a chap whose name I missed but I think MJK said he was part of his Puscifer legion. Matt maybe? He was in a Mankini. A Borat Mankini.

The whole show was wonderful. My seat in the stalls made for an excellent and intimate encounter. I was in GA last time and it was 2 hours spent looking over other taller people's shoulders and barely seeing anything. This time around was an altogether different experience.
The crowd was outstanding in the stalls- credit must be given to whoever came up with the toolarmy presale idea. Thank you, and I hope the band enjoyed playing to a group of people who were more interested in absorbing the evening than moshing about or watching the gig through the screen of their phone.

I knew (more or less) what their set list was going to be so no complaints there. My thoughts go out to the guy who was gagging for Intolerance after the MEL BDO. You've got two more chances buddy... Good luck.

All in all, a fantastic night.

Peace out.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

Junior?
Allrightythen-

After Jakob's 1st song Adam came out and was having a look at them on the side of the stage near his guitar guru who, from a distance, oddly looks like BMB without the bob cut. Some people spotted him and started pointing/taking pictures. He then ducked down into a position which looked like he was either hiding or, as it happened, grabbing this fluorescent orange thing from a cabinet... the same color as the security guards. I thought he was going to pull a shifty and get dressed up as one to come out and get a better view. He went back behind the stage and didn't see him for the rest of the song.

So Jakob was pounding away- highly recommended that everyone takes the opportunity to see these guys- and out from Adam's side of the stage, commando styles, crawls a person dressed up in a scooby doo'esque swamp monster costume. Does a few scrambles around the drum kit and ends up over towards Justin's gear. Someone is waiting there, with a... guess what?... Bass. Still crouched and now a little obscured behind some cabinets this swamp wookie is armed with a Bass Guitar... with a spiral on its strap.

Enter now another odd looking character- a guy with a fluorescent orange security vest over his head with what appears to be a Les Paul Silverburst. There you have it. Adam and Justin on stage with Jakob. They were playing a breakdown on one of their songs and Adam whacked out some soundscapes. Justin in his wookie costume chimed in with some resonant thunder and in less than 5 mins they were off again.

Rynne was there taking snaps of the whole night so perhaps we will be lucky enough to see some of the evening. The ones she took up on Danny's kit would have looked awesome with the amphitheater crowd, not too dissimilar to red rocks... minus the red.... and the rocks. Yeah.

I'll spare you the comments about Third Eye being played etc, but some other interesting moments of the night were, as already mentioned, about 2 mins before the lights went off Alex and Alison Grey walked out to take their seats. Such a peaceful looking dude. Very surreal seeing him there, and great to see them well recovered and enjoying a holiday in Melb.

Kudos to Junior for a tremendous night on the lights. Little issue with Jambi flame intro but who cares. The intermission was intense and it's certainly worth paying attention and getting lost in the geometric evolutions.

Yes Adam messed up a little towards the end of Right in Two and it got quite messy for a while, but in an odd kind of way this added a live aspect to the performance which made it a little better... if that makes sense?

Their intro to Vicarious was tending towards Flood (or Intolerance?), but then it went the other way. The unusual thing about playing this song so early in the set is it went from not too many lights and visuals to the full tilt laser show which previously had been at the end of the night. MJK played some new harmonies in it which sounded neat.

Schism and Stinkfist extensions were new'ish in some regards. Lateralus intro was also mixed up a little bit by Adam.

Jason from Jakob came on for the breakdown of Lateralus and was joined by a chap whose name I missed but I think MJK said he was part of his Puscifer legion. Matt maybe? He was in a Mankini. A Borat Mankini.

The whole show was wonderful. My seat in the stalls made for an excellent and intimate encounter. I was in GA last time and it was 2 hours spent looking over other taller people's shoulders and barely seeing anything. This time around was an altogether different experience.
The crowd was outstanding in the stalls- credit must be given to whoever came up with the toolarmy presale idea. Thank you, and I hope the band enjoyed playing to a group of people who were more interested in absorbing the evening than moshing about or watching the gig through the screen of their phone.

I knew (more or less) what their set list was going to be so no complaints there. My thoughts go out to the guy who was gagging for Intolerance after the MEL BDO. You've got two more chances buddy... Good luck.

All in all, a fantastic night.

Peace out.
subconsciousness
02-02-2011, 03:33 PM

what an amazing show.

i can be bothered with much of a critique, i think any opinions i have probably reflect more on me than the band.

third eye was an amazing song to open on. made the hairs on my neck crawl. you lied: also amazing to see...
there were a couple of mistakes/tech difficulties, as far as i could tell all from mr jones.

has anyone else realised that the bridge they are playing in lateralus is a cover of METALLICA's orion!? *gasp* yup metallica. definitely one of metallicas best, at least.

my only whinge is that they repeated about 5 songs from their big day out set 4 days ago... i can see plenty of possible reasoning for it, but i thought it would have been nice to get a totally fresh set as there are obviously tool fiends who were attending both shows. however of the 3 times ive seen tool, this was still the most jawdropping performance.

bring on the god damned new album!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

what an amazing show.

i can be bothered with much of a critique, i think any opinions i have probably reflect more on me than the band.

third eye was an amazing song to open on. made the hairs on my neck crawl. you lied: also amazing to see...
there were a couple of mistakes/tech difficulties, as far as i could tell all from mr jones.

has anyone else realised that the bridge they are playing in lateralus is a cover of METALLICA's orion!? *gasp* yup metallica. definitely one of metallicas best, at least.

my only whinge is that they repeated about 5 songs from their big day out set 4 days ago... i can see plenty of possible reasoning for it, but i thought it would have been nice to get a totally fresh set as there are obviously tool fiends who were attending both shows. however of the 3 times ive seen tool, this was still the most jawdropping performance.

bring on the god damned new album!!!!!!
qz8rdr
02-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inequitude View Post
Allrightythen-

Peace out.
That guy is me. Thanks for the well wishes. Off to Adelaide tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Allrightythen-

Peace out.
That guy is me. Thanks for the well wishes. Off to Adelaide tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
tmarsh
02-02-2011, 04:40 PM

OMG I felt like Maynard was in my soul and singing to me.
Hahaha, nah I am just fking around.

So, Tool are a rock band. Stripping away all the pretence and carry on about them (OMG did you see Maynard walk to the left of stage, WHAT WAS HE DOING! WHAT WAS HE WEARING?!), and the obviously amazing video, you're still left with a rock band. So it is from this position, and with regard to Tool's fairly healthy back catalogue (I am looking at you Opiate-Undertow-Aenema).

Here's a great summary of the rest of the concert apart from Third Eye, You Lied, Aenema and Stinkfist: Ho hum. My brother was half asleep for everything in between

Of course this is just my opinion but watching the crowd talking etc in between the rockier songs, and their reaction when Lateralus through to Stinkfist were played, I'm left wondering, what happened to the energy and chaos of earlier shows. What is the rest of it but filler in what could otherwise be a pretty amazing rock spectacle.

Certainly, the energy of songs such as Opiate, Pushit, Sober, Eulogy, Cold and Ugly, Grudge leave me in two minds post the show. Compared to the other times I have seen them, with songs like Pushit, Opiate, Grudge, Sober and their ilk, I feel ambivalent about last night's show, except for the treat that was Third Eye (which was incredible).

Not to take anything away from anyone who saw them for the first time (I can identify with the feeling), I felt like Intension/Right in Two, Jambi, Schism and Vicarious are wasting time.

Silly old monkeys indeed.

Anyway, compared to Muse's recent Melbourne show, whilst Matt B is obviously in possession of a fairly healthy ego, he honours the crowd with an incredibly rocking show.

I just wonder what the focus with some of the newer songs is, over and over...there's a seeming aversion to some of the older stuff...if the old stuff can be "rested" when can we have Schism rested.

Just my thoughts, anyways.

Last edited by tmarsh; 02-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

OMG I felt like Maynard was in my soul and singing to me.
Hahaha, nah I am just fking around.

So, Tool are a rock band. Stripping away all the pretence and carry on about them (OMG did you see Maynard walk to the left of stage, WHAT WAS HE DOING! WHAT WAS HE WEARING?!), and the obviously amazing video, you're still left with a rock band. So it is from this position, and with regard to Tool's fairly healthy back catalogue (I am looking at you Opiate-Undertow-Aenema).

Here's a great summary of the rest of the concert apart from Third Eye, You Lied, Aenema and Stinkfist: Ho hum. My brother was half asleep for everything in between

Of course this is just my opinion but watching the crowd talking etc in between the rockier songs, and their reaction when Lateralus through to Stinkfist were played, I'm left wondering, what happened to the energy and chaos of earlier shows. What is the rest of it but filler in what could otherwise be a pretty amazing rock spectacle.

Certainly, the energy of songs such as Opiate, Pushit, Sober, Eulogy, Cold and Ugly, Grudge leave me in two minds post the show. Compared to the other times I have seen them, with songs like Pushit, Opiate, Grudge, Sober and their ilk, I feel ambivalent about last night's show, except for the treat that was Third Eye (which was incredible).

Not to take anything away from anyone who saw them for the first time (I can identify with the feeling), I felt like Intension/Right in Two, Jambi, Schism and Vicarious are wasting time.

Silly old monkeys indeed.

Anyway, compared to Muse's recent Melbourne show, whilst Matt B is obviously in possession of a fairly healthy ego, he honours the crowd with an incredibly rocking show.

I just wonder what the focus with some of the newer songs is, over and over...there's a seeming aversion to some of the older stuff...if the old stuff can be "rested" when can we have Schism rested.

Just my thoughts, anyways.

Last edited by tmarsh; 02-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: edit
qz8rdr
02-02-2011, 04:40 PM

PS. They were selling copies of all of the NZ/AU tour posters so far, autographed and non-autographed. They also had signed drum skins for $200. Not sure if they will have all of this stuff at the Adelaide and Perth BDO's as they will only have a limited amount of space in the communal merch tent.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

PS. They were selling copies of all of the NZ/AU tour posters so far, autographed and non-autographed. They also had signed drum skins for $200. Not sure if they will have all of this stuff at the Adelaide and Perth BDO's as they will only have a limited amount of space in the communal merch tent.
Amazonis's Avatar Amazonis
02-02-2011, 07:29 PM

This was my first Tool gig, and despite the fact that I could barely see the stage for the entire concert, it was pretty fucking amazing. I doubt I could say the same thing after seeing any other band in the same circumstances - the light show compensated for the lack of stage vision.

The setlist was near perfect; highlights were Third Eye, Intention/Right In Two, Lateralis and Aenima. I wasn't a huge fan of You Lied, and judging by the reactions around me, neither wee the majority of the audience. The electronic noise interlude was alright, but I would have loved to have been down the front to fully experience the visual aspect of it. Oh, and I think it almost hit the brown note at one point. :)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

This was my first Tool gig, and despite the fact that I could barely see the stage for the entire concert, it was pretty fucking amazing. I doubt I could say the same thing after seeing any other band in the same circumstances - the light show compensated for the lack of stage vision.

The setlist was near perfect; highlights were Third Eye, Intention/Right In Two, Lateralis and Aenima. I wasn't a huge fan of You Lied, and judging by the reactions around me, neither wee the majority of the audience. The electronic noise interlude was alright, but I would have loved to have been down the front to fully experience the visual aspect of it. Oh, and I think it almost hit the brown note at one point. :)
junior
02-02-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Jeff Friedl.
Plays drums and percussion in Puscifer, trading the 2 roles with Tim Alexander.
Also plays drum in Ashes Divide, Devo (when Josh Freese doesn't), and currently with CSS on Big Day Out.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Jeff Friedl.
Plays drums and percussion in Puscifer, trading the 2 roles with Tim Alexander.
Also plays drum in Ashes Divide, Devo (when Josh Freese doesn't), and currently with CSS on Big Day Out.
Seek to the Death Rattle's Avatar Seek to the Death Rattle
02-03-2011, 04:36 AM

Just arrived home to Auckland, over 24 hours after the showed finished. Well worth the trip over from NZ again (made the same 48 hour journey in 2007), so now heres my short take on events.....

Firstly great review by inequitude.....all very well said my friend. And also thanks to Junior for what was mainly an epic experience. Sounds like you had a tough job indeed (not being able to se the stage) Also nice to hear some positive words being said about Jakob by Australian Tool fans. Seems they are developing a bit of a habit of getting NZ artists to come over and open for them at their Oz side shows. They are indeed quality.

Third Eye was simply epic as described by most and a great opener....I think for parts of that song I went somewhere to outter space. And yes, great to hear You Lied indeed. I could whinge and moan about the error in R in 2, or the setlist etc but basically for me, these guys are simply the greatest band of our generation, and when they do make mistakes it shows they are human and it adds to the live experience as someone else described. I know myself being a musician that those songs are pretty fucking difficult to pull off live, so the fact that they do, sometimes perfectly a lot of the time, is something special. We should remember that 75% of them are almost 50. Things change, a voice is an instrument too, that needs to be looked after. New album will be interesting to see what their approach is now. I will still say that Lateralus is the greatest album ever made and I know I'll never get those same sets I witnessed in London in 2002 or the same energy/talkativeness from MJK, but there's always been a slighlty different feel or theme to the albums, which I find cool. I hope qz8qdr gets his intolerance. I almost feel bad now that I got it and he hasnt seeing as it seems he has just about gone to every show!
Myer Music Bowl is a great venue, with excellent sound again. think i was 4th row in 07, and 14th last night. Both great experiences. And yes Jeff FRiedl was both hilarious and very very good on that djembe i think it was?
MJK after they all left..."i think i just saw a ninja?"

I think the band all appreciated the crowd tonight too. Maynard seemed a bit more receptive. At Akl BDO he just pissed off as soon as stinkfist finished, ha! Prob cos some cocks were throwing bottles at them?
Great crowd, more than made up for my 'annoying pushing/slam dancing/moshing/dread-flicking' people i was surrounded by at BDO Auckland.
Thanks Melbourne, great city, great people, and great fucken concert

Shrouding all the ground around me is this holy crow above me

Last edited by Seek to the Death Rattle; 02-03-2011 at 04:40 AM..
Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Just arrived home to Auckland, over 24 hours after the showed finished. Well worth the trip over from NZ again (made the same 48 hour journey in 2007), so now heres my short take on events.....

Firstly great review by inequitude.....all very well said my friend. And also thanks to Junior for what was mainly an epic experience. Sounds like you had a tough job indeed (not being able to se the stage) Also nice to hear some positive words being said about Jakob by Australian Tool fans. Seems they are developing a bit of a habit of getting NZ artists to come over and open for them at their Oz side shows. They are indeed quality.

Third Eye was simply epic as described by most and a great opener....I think for parts of that song I went somewhere to outter space. And yes, great to hear You Lied indeed. I could whinge and moan about the error in R in 2, or the setlist etc but basically for me, these guys are simply the greatest band of our generation, and when they do make mistakes it shows they are human and it adds to the live experience as someone else described. I know myself being a musician that those songs are pretty fucking difficult to pull off live, so the fact that they do, sometimes perfectly a lot of the time, is something special. We should remember that 75% of them are almost 50. Things change, a voice is an instrument too, that needs to be looked after. New album will be interesting to see what their approach is now. I will still say that Lateralus is the greatest album ever made and I know I'll never get those same sets I witnessed in London in 2002 or the same energy/talkativeness from MJK, but there's always been a slighlty different feel or theme to the albums, which I find cool. I hope qz8qdr gets his intolerance. I almost feel bad now that I got it and he hasnt seeing as it seems he has just about gone to every show!
Myer Music Bowl is a great venue, with excellent sound again. think i was 4th row in 07, and 14th last night. Both great experiences. And yes Jeff FRiedl was both hilarious and very very good on that djembe i think it was?
MJK after they all left..."i think i just saw a ninja?"

I think the band all appreciated the crowd tonight too. Maynard seemed a bit more receptive. At Akl BDO he just pissed off as soon as stinkfist finished, ha! Prob cos some cocks were throwing bottles at them?
Great crowd, more than made up for my 'annoying pushing/slam dancing/moshing/dread-flicking' people i was surrounded by at BDO Auckland.
Thanks Melbourne, great city, great people, and great fucken concert

Shrouding all the ground around me is this holy crow above me

Last edited by Seek to the Death Rattle; 02-03-2011 at 04:40 AM..
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
02-03-2011, 05:07 AM

I liked the part where Maynard started to thank us for coming, but then realised he already had.

Hehe, silly Maymay.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #23
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

I liked the part where Maynard started to thank us for coming, but then realised he already had.

Hehe, silly Maymay.
02-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Also, is it just me or were there a couple of lasers set up at the rear of the seated area?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #24
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

Also, is it just me or were there a couple of lasers set up at the rear of the seated area?
02-03-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek to the Death Rattle View Post
And yes Jeff FRiedl was both hilarious and very very good on that djembe i think it was?
Well spotted.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek to the Death Rattle View Post
And yes Jeff FRiedl was both hilarious and very very good on that djembe i think it was?
Well spotted.
junior
02-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubb. View Post
Yes. On top of the Front of House tech bunker.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubb. View Post
Yes. On top of the Front of House tech bunker.
monkeyboy
02-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I take it all back! Now that was a show! It was like a second coming for me, not quite, but almost up with the '97 show @ Festival Hall & '99 Coachella(the Brixton Academy shows in '01 were pretty special too).

First off I love the Myer Music Bowl! It's a phenomenal venue well suited to tool, my only disclaimer being you need to sort yourself out seats in the stalls - forget GA, unless you get there at 2am three days before the show to secure yourself a great position or you're at least 10 foot tall!

We had great seats in row G centre block aisle and managed to snag a last minute seat for the missus pretty much next to me(the seat gods were smiling upon us! praise & thanks to them) through good fortune & timing, managing to buy, swap, sell. Our seats were just at the right height, being about stage level, pretty much perfect, with unobstructed views of Danny, Justin & Maynard(Noticed Rynne taking quite a few photos of the band from just in front, behind and next to us - even with all the passes she still got harassed by security)

From start to finish it was a faultless performance(maybe not flawless, but you'd have to be nitpicking) and thoroughly engaging from both band and audience and the love and appreciation flowed and ebbed between band members and audience. I was pretty much in the moment with the missus, when the lights went down and the opening strains of 3rd eye came through the pa and verberated through my body, I could feel the hairs standing up on my arms, I knew this was going to be a special night for me.

I could go on about highlights, songs, etc, etc, but it was all brilliant! All killer, no filler! And what's funny is that it's the exact same setlist as Brisbane! Ha-ha go figure, but Melbourne was the complete antithesis to my brisbane experience. Though if I did have to mention one it would Carey(or Carey-town as we call him). I'm not saying he's is Tool, but having the opportunity of seeing him this close and experiencing the power of his art and being was truly magnificent(the missus turned to me are around the 3rd song and went the drummer with that OMG expression and I nodded and said, "Yes") Having the aisle seat made it so much easier just to move right into the aisle and rock out, which pretty much meant I was in the aisle the night locked onto danny(&justin) rocking out, neck was a little tender the next morning(thanks to you lied and everything before and after).

There's plenty more I could go on about, the lead up prior, the hectic day(would have been great to come to the bbq, but the day got in the way!), running late, but I managed to get there just on time, take our seats and happily forgot about the shit and rocked out in the moment which was truly great, before coming to an end which was all too soon.

I am very tempted to head to Adelaide and Perth for the rest of the shows, currently experiencing tool withdrawals symptoms I might just see if I can swing it.

I think I may have been pretty high that night, which only enhanced the experience, which was surely a good thing ;^)

Last edited by monkeyboy; 02-03-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

I take it all back! Now that was a show! It was like a second coming for me, not quite, but almost up with the '97 show @ Festival Hall & '99 Coachella(the Brixton Academy shows in '01 were pretty special too).

First off I love the Myer Music Bowl! It's a phenomenal venue well suited to tool, my only disclaimer being you need to sort yourself out seats in the stalls - forget GA, unless you get there at 2am three days before the show to secure yourself a great position or you're at least 10 foot tall!

We had great seats in row G centre block aisle and managed to snag a last minute seat for the missus pretty much next to me(the seat gods were smiling upon us! praise & thanks to them) through good fortune & timing, managing to buy, swap, sell. Our seats were just at the right height, being about stage level, pretty much perfect, with unobstructed views of Danny, Justin & Maynard(Noticed Rynne taking quite a few photos of the band from just in front, behind and next to us - even with all the passes she still got harassed by security)

From start to finish it was a faultless performance(maybe not flawless, but you'd have to be nitpicking) and thoroughly engaging from both band and audience and the love and appreciation flowed and ebbed between band members and audience. I was pretty much in the moment with the missus, when the lights went down and the opening strains of 3rd eye came through the pa and verberated through my body, I could feel the hairs standing up on my arms, I knew this was going to be a special night for me.

I could go on about highlights, songs, etc, etc, but it was all brilliant! All killer, no filler! And what's funny is that it's the exact same setlist as Brisbane! Ha-ha go figure, but Melbourne was the complete antithesis to my brisbane experience. Though if I did have to mention one it would Carey(or Carey-town as we call him). I'm not saying he's is Tool, but having the opportunity of seeing him this close and experiencing the power of his art and being was truly magnificent(the missus turned to me are around the 3rd song and went the drummer with that OMG expression and I nodded and said, "Yes") Having the aisle seat made it so much easier just to move right into the aisle and rock out, which pretty much meant I was in the aisle the night locked onto danny(&justin) rocking out, neck was a little tender the next morning(thanks to you lied and everything before and after).

There's plenty more I could go on about, the lead up prior, the hectic day(would have been great to come to the bbq, but the day got in the way!), running late, but I managed to get there just on time, take our seats and happily forgot about the shit and rocked out in the moment which was truly great, before coming to an end which was all too soon.

I am very tempted to head to Adelaide and Perth for the rest of the shows, currently experiencing tool withdrawals symptoms I might just see if I can swing it.

I think I may have been pretty high that night, which only enhanced the experience, which was surely a good thing ;^)

Last edited by monkeyboy; 02-03-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Elgyn's Avatar Elgyn
02-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
It wasn't as crazy as you might think. I left work at 3 and started lining up a little before 4. Then I made a mad dash for the barrier and got there no worries (everyone headed straight down the hill so I just ran across a little way and it was empty for ages). After last time when I had a shyte view only a couple of rows back I was determined to get a better view. The barrier was actually really awesome. I probably missed some of the detail of the guys playing, but seeing the stage and the venue in its entirety was cool too. I think I'll have to join Tool Army for the pre-sale.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #28
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
It wasn't as crazy as you might think. I left work at 3 and started lining up a little before 4. Then I made a mad dash for the barrier and got there no worries (everyone headed straight down the hill so I just ran across a little way and it was empty for ages). After last time when I had a shyte view only a couple of rows back I was determined to get a better view. The barrier was actually really awesome. I probably missed some of the detail of the guys playing, but seeing the stage and the venue in its entirety was cool too. I think I'll have to join Tool Army for the pre-sale.
02-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Me and a friend of mine got tickets in the 12th row without pre-booking or anything. Lucky? Maybe.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the audio, as in, did you think Maynards voice could've been a bit louder?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Me and a friend of mine got tickets in the 12th row without pre-booking or anything. Lucky? Maybe.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the audio, as in, did you think Maynards voice could've been a bit louder?
Seek to the Death Rattle's Avatar Seek to the Death Rattle
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=
I was wondering what you guys thought about the audio, as in, did you think Maynards voice could've been a bit louder?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was actually mixed pretty well the whole night, with a few exceptions. Especially when you consider that they like to have the vocals quite low in the mix. I don't think 3rd eye could have been anymore perfect. The quiet part through the megaphone......epic.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #30
Level 3 - Talker

[QUOTE=
I was wondering what you guys thought about the audio, as in, did you think Maynards voice could've been a bit louder?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was actually mixed pretty well the whole night, with a few exceptions. Especially when you consider that they like to have the vocals quite low in the mix. I don't think 3rd eye could have been anymore perfect. The quiet part through the megaphone......epic.
02-04-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I had a hectic afternoon which turned into an even crazier evening, only getting into the venue as the as the lights went down and tool were taking the stage, so was very grateful we could simply show our tickets and take our seats. Not an ideal way to start a show as the lateness/hectiness was throwing out my chi and my normal pre-gig ocd routine was smashed by the days events. It all worked out for the best in the end though so no complaints
Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I had a hectic afternoon which turned into an even crazier evening, only getting into the venue as the as the lights went down and tool were taking the stage, so was very grateful we could simply show our tickets and take our seats. Not an ideal way to start a show as the lateness/hectiness was throwing out my chi and my normal pre-gig ocd routine was smashed by the days events. It all worked out for the best in the end though so no complaints
spiral2spiral's Avatar spiral2spiral
02-04-2011, 01:45 AM

For mine, Maynard's voice was the weakest of the 3 times I've seen them on this tour.
I was hoping (for his sake) that the fact that there was only one show in the 5 days preceding this would give it time to rest up. Alas not enough it seems.
You could sense his frustration, especially during RIT and You Lied.
I'm not at all complaining though, he continues to do his best with the tools he has.

Very cool watching the dueling drum solo's between Danny and Jeff.

Gotta admit I'm just a touch disappointed to see the exact same set as Brisbane, but that's Tool, that's the chance you take. Being freed from the insatiable excitement of wondering what was coming next, I was able to relax and just focus on watching Dannys drumming. My 7th show and I'll never bore of it.

Cannot believe the difference being seated makes for the Myer. Standing in 2007, shit view, shit sound, shit atmosphere.
Sitting on Wednesday - Amazing view, amazing sound, amazing atmosphere.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #32
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

For mine, Maynard's voice was the weakest of the 3 times I've seen them on this tour.
I was hoping (for his sake) that the fact that there was only one show in the 5 days preceding this would give it time to rest up. Alas not enough it seems.
You could sense his frustration, especially during RIT and You Lied.
I'm not at all complaining though, he continues to do his best with the tools he has.

Very cool watching the dueling drum solo's between Danny and Jeff.

Gotta admit I'm just a touch disappointed to see the exact same set as Brisbane, but that's Tool, that's the chance you take. Being freed from the insatiable excitement of wondering what was coming next, I was able to relax and just focus on watching Dannys drumming. My 7th show and I'll never bore of it.

Cannot believe the difference being seated makes for the Myer. Standing in 2007, shit view, shit sound, shit atmosphere.
Sitting on Wednesday - Amazing view, amazing sound, amazing atmosphere.
cannydarey
02-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Does anyone know anything about the intro video that was played before 'Third Eye'? As in who wrote it/spoke it? Or have the verse written down?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Does anyone know anything about the intro video that was played before 'Third Eye'? As in who wrote it/spoke it? Or have the verse written down?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #34
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

02-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
Thanks Hellboy, I knew it was familiar.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
Thanks Hellboy, I knew it was familiar.
nrt's Avatar nrt
02-07-2011, 07:58 PM

seen tool twice before 01 and 02 both westpac stadium christchurch so 9 years between drinks .this concert blew my mind great venue great sound well worth the money and effort 2 get 2 melbourne .Will not be another 9 year wait will go to 2 shows next time they are out in anzac country melbourne city was awesome as well.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #36
nrt
Level 1 - Lurker

seen tool twice before 01 and 02 both westpac stadium christchurch so 9 years between drinks .this concert blew my mind great venue great sound well worth the money and effort 2 get 2 melbourne .Will not be another 9 year wait will go to 2 shows next time they are out in anzac country melbourne city was awesome as well.
Tiphareth
02-16-2011, 01:44 AM

"Think for yourself, question authority. Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, It has been the authorities; the political, the religious, the educational authorities, who are tempted to comfort us, by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority, and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself"

Ha, just wanted to see if I could fully remember it :P

Melbourne show, fantastic. Went over from Perth for BDO and this show and am very happy. Did the same on '07.
Maynard is much happier and moving around more this tour, so good to see. So stoked I got to see Third Eye, You Lied and Right in Two, never thought i'd ever see any of them!
Real shame didnt get Intolerance after hearing that they played it ealier in the tour. Happy to get Flood at BDO thou.
Sound was great, better than Sidney Myer in '07 I reckon. Visuals amazing as usual. Alot of the same extensions, but nailing them. Lateralus was pretty sweet, not a big Metallica fan, but went together nicely.
Spewing justin cut his hair! Mustve been too fuckin hot for him! Seems to be movin even more thou, now that the weight it gone! hahaha

Hanging for the album, not long now...
See you agains oon Melbourne.

Trav.
Jan 31st '07
Feb 4th '07
Jan 30th '11
Feb 2nd '11
Feb 6th '11
Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #37
Level 3 - Talker

"Think for yourself, question authority. Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, It has been the authorities; the political, the religious, the educational authorities, who are tempted to comfort us, by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority, and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself"

Ha, just wanted to see if I could fully remember it :P

Melbourne show, fantastic. Went over from Perth for BDO and this show and am very happy. Did the same on '07.
Maynard is much happier and moving around more this tour, so good to see. So stoked I got to see Third Eye, You Lied and Right in Two, never thought i'd ever see any of them!
Real shame didnt get Intolerance after hearing that they played it ealier in the tour. Happy to get Flood at BDO thou.
Sound was great, better than Sidney Myer in '07 I reckon. Visuals amazing as usual. Alot of the same extensions, but nailing them. Lateralus was pretty sweet, not a big Metallica fan, but went together nicely.
Spewing justin cut his hair! Mustve been too fuckin hot for him! Seems to be movin even more thou, now that the weight it gone! hahaha

Hanging for the album, not long now...
See you agains oon Melbourne.

Trav.
Jan 31st '07
Feb 4th '07
Jan 30th '11
Feb 2nd '11
Feb 6th '11

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply