Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Artwork
User Name
Password
kidshaman
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM

First post here, inspired by the recent show in Dallas where I saw this mandala for the first time, though I don't recall which song it was... towards the end of the show, though.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._8005982_n.jpg

The following is the interpretation I've written, based on my ~8 years informal esoteric studies.

~~~~~

Beginning at the center, spiraling out...

In red-violet, this mandala shape appears based on the flower of life, a symbol used for thousands of years all across the world to represent the underlying fabric of the universe. It is a geometric symbol for divinity - the mathematical nature of reality, its structure, its symmetry. It is what the rest of everything arises from. Here, though, it is altered slightly, so that the center appears to actually fold outwards...

Which leads to these 2, 5-point stars interlocking, connected to the seed at the center, forming a 10-spoked wheel. That wheel is evolution and involution, the constant dynamism of the cosmos, spiraling inwards and outwards for eternity to create new forms and understandings of itself. ROTA TARO ORAT TORA ATOR.

Interlocking with the wheel/decagon is the 7-pointed star, the heptagram, which also shows up on the January 21st poster, a somewhat common Tool emblem... A couple of reasons it is significant:

1.) It is extremely difficult to draw a 7-pointed star accurately, by hand, if not impossible. It's somewhat like drawing a perfect circle, and the capacity to draw it freely is a sign of total mastery and divine skill. Each of the 7 points is an angle of 77.14285714285714... whereas a 5-point star is simply five angles @ 36 degrees.

I believe in that light it represents Danny's mastery of Percussion, especially since it appeared during his drum solo, and is drawn onto some of his drum heads. It could also signify their respect for perfection, and their continual urge to work towards it, acknowledging that it is forever out of reach. In that way, it is also a sign of humility.

2.) It's also known as the Star/Seal of Babylon, and represents the inherent perfection of the cosmos, the 7-days of creation/the week/existence, the 7 levels of consciousness, 7 chakras... If you follow the line of the star all the way through, it leads you in a sort of spiral as well. Other meanings are numerous, but it essentially indicates an underlying, conscious structure to the entire universe, its sheer beauty and complexity that is beyond the ability
of most to comprehend.

Just beyond it, also in green, are a multitude of other points in a circle about the center, in between the points of the heptagram, making 21 additional points.

In Kaballah, we have 22 paths of experience, though the first and last represent a state that is complete and total dissolution in the godhead... unity with the entirety of existence. That leaves 21 other states of being, all arrayed in a continuous cycle. Here they also point to 28 phases of the moon, implying a connection with natural rhythms. Therein lies a great secret.

Lastly, we come to the greatest mystery of all, the 12 violet circles etched with 12 unique runes. Were this a clock, I believe they would represent the hours, while the moons would be the minutes... and we ourselves would be the "time". So... 12:15 would be "Top-symbol : Half-moon".

Of these, I've only come up with an interpretation for the 5-o-clock symbol. It appears to represent growth, illustrating a seed arising from the ground in adoration of the sun above. That's the symbol I remember from the show, too.

I will have to dig even deeper to discover the other 11 symbols.. perhaps they are personal glyphs to contrast the Zodiacal constellations.

Last edited by kidshaman; 01-30-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
2012 Mandala

First post here, inspired by the recent show in Dallas where I saw this mandala for the first time, though I don't recall which song it was... towards the end of the show, though.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._8005982_n.jpg

The following is the interpretation I've written, based on my ~8 years informal esoteric studies.

~~~~~

Beginning at the center, spiraling out...

In red-violet, this mandala shape appears based on the flower of life, a symbol used for thousands of years all across the world to represent the underlying fabric of the universe. It is a geometric symbol for divinity - the mathematical nature of reality, its structure, its symmetry. It is what the rest of everything arises from. Here, though, it is altered slightly, so that the center appears to actually fold outwards...

Which leads to these 2, 5-point stars interlocking, connected to the seed at the center, forming a 10-spoked wheel. That wheel is evolution and involution, the constant dynamism of the cosmos, spiraling inwards and outwards for eternity to create new forms and understandings of itself. ROTA TARO ORAT TORA ATOR.

Interlocking with the wheel/decagon is the 7-pointed star, the heptagram, which also shows up on the January 21st poster, a somewhat common Tool emblem... A couple of reasons it is significant:

1.) It is extremely difficult to draw a 7-pointed star accurately, by hand, if not impossible. It's somewhat like drawing a perfect circle, and the capacity to draw it freely is a sign of total mastery and divine skill. Each of the 7 points is an angle of 77.14285714285714... whereas a 5-point star is simply five angles @ 36 degrees.

I believe in that light it represents Danny's mastery of Percussion, especially since it appeared during his drum solo, and is drawn onto some of his drum heads. It could also signify their respect for perfection, and their continual urge to work towards it, acknowledging that it is forever out of reach. In that way, it is also a sign of humility.

2.) It's also known as the Star/Seal of Babylon, and represents the inherent perfection of the cosmos, the 7-days of creation/the week/existence, the 7 levels of consciousness, 7 chakras... If you follow the line of the star all the way through, it leads you in a sort of spiral as well. Other meanings are numerous, but it essentially indicates an underlying, conscious structure to the entire universe, its sheer beauty and complexity that is beyond the ability
of most to comprehend.

Just beyond it, also in green, are a multitude of other points in a circle about the center, in between the points of the heptagram, making 21 additional points.

In Kaballah, we have 22 paths of experience, though the first and last represent a state that is complete and total dissolution in the godhead... unity with the entirety of existence. That leaves 21 other states of being, all arrayed in a continuous cycle. Here they also point to 28 phases of the moon, implying a connection with natural rhythms. Therein lies a great secret.

Lastly, we come to the greatest mystery of all, the 12 violet circles etched with 12 unique runes. Were this a clock, I believe they would represent the hours, while the moons would be the minutes... and we ourselves would be the "time". So... 12:15 would be "Top-symbol : Half-moon".

Of these, I've only come up with an interpretation for the 5-o-clock symbol. It appears to represent growth, illustrating a seed arising from the ground in adoration of the sun above. That's the symbol I remember from the show, too.

I will have to dig even deeper to discover the other 11 symbols.. perhaps they are personal glyphs to contrast the Zodiacal constellations.

Last edited by kidshaman; 01-30-2012 at 11:26 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Lateralareallofus's Avatar Lateralareallofus
01-30-2012, 10:12 PM

I applaude you in your attempts to decipher this. very interesting read. please continue. where can i go about to learn about these symbols and related subjects?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2012 Mandala

I applaude you in your attempts to decipher this. very interesting read. please continue. where can i go about to learn about these symbols and related subjects?
kidshaman
01-31-2012, 01:22 PM

First off I'd suggest avoiding most "New Age" materials, as for every piece of wisdom gleaned comes a thrust from someone elses ego, a slap of historical or psychic bias. I began by learning from such materials, and though that started to develop my intuitions pertaining to symbol, it also led to confusion and some damage that has been difficult to heal.

A good rule of thumb is that materials published prior to the 1960's will be more objective, granting you a less obstructed initiation into the meaning of such symbols. That is not to say no reliable materials were printed during that decade and beyond, this is just a personal suggestion.

I've found materials by Paul Foster Case to be exceptional. He's straight-forward, orderly, describing layers upon layers of meaning in a compact way. Crowley and his colleagues tend to mask their meanings and imbue their language with "spells" (more for advanced students), whereas Case simply seeks to give you the tools and knowledge to explore the occult science on your own accord. I respect that method.

As for subject matter (and this tends to be Case's method), an understanding of the occult meaning of numbers is vital, particularly when it comes to geometry of this kind. Note that this is NOT the same as numerology, which is more akin to fortune-telling, a largely destructive practice.

From numbers, what has given me the most insight is to delve into the "Keys" and their Hebrew correlations. Alternatively, you could investigate the Tree of Life, the central aspect of the Kaballah and Hebrew mysticism, which parallels the Eastern chakra system (as your profile pic illustrates).

I appreciate your interest - it makes me happy to know others are inspired by such things. I'll indeed continue. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact/reply.

Well upon your path!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2012 Mandala

First off I'd suggest avoiding most "New Age" materials, as for every piece of wisdom gleaned comes a thrust from someone elses ego, a slap of historical or psychic bias. I began by learning from such materials, and though that started to develop my intuitions pertaining to symbol, it also led to confusion and some damage that has been difficult to heal.

A good rule of thumb is that materials published prior to the 1960's will be more objective, granting you a less obstructed initiation into the meaning of such symbols. That is not to say no reliable materials were printed during that decade and beyond, this is just a personal suggestion.

I've found materials by Paul Foster Case to be exceptional. He's straight-forward, orderly, describing layers upon layers of meaning in a compact way. Crowley and his colleagues tend to mask their meanings and imbue their language with "spells" (more for advanced students), whereas Case simply seeks to give you the tools and knowledge to explore the occult science on your own accord. I respect that method.

As for subject matter (and this tends to be Case's method), an understanding of the occult meaning of numbers is vital, particularly when it comes to geometry of this kind. Note that this is NOT the same as numerology, which is more akin to fortune-telling, a largely destructive practice.

From numbers, what has given me the most insight is to delve into the "Keys" and their Hebrew correlations. Alternatively, you could investigate the Tree of Life, the central aspect of the Kaballah and Hebrew mysticism, which parallels the Eastern chakra system (as your profile pic illustrates).

I appreciate your interest - it makes me happy to know others are inspired by such things. I'll indeed continue. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact/reply.

Well upon your path!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply