Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
squinch
06-04-2006, 03:40 PM

The bottom got on top of me? Nah, too [no]. Try this. Lines preceeding this are, "It's gotta' be deadhead chemistry." What are Greatful Dead concerts famous for? Acid trips. So, "The blotter got on top of me, got me seein E- motherfuckin'- T!" Also, the lead in track, Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann), gives further support for this. To many sixties and seventies college students, Dr. Albert Hofmann was known as the father of what he referred to as his "problem child," LSD, on April 19, 1943. Dr. Hofmann is also well known for his work with the psilocybin mushroom from which he synthesized what is essentially N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT). I have read, in various places, that this particular compound may play a role in one of the band member's meditative preparations.

Be that as it may, I posit that what we have here is the tale of someone who has ventured out into the desert of an evening armed with certain supplies but the experience has gone awry, shall we say. He shows up at a hospital, buzzed out of his skull, not really sure what's real any more and this is the tale he tells.

Does this work for you?

Last edited by paraflux; 06-05-2006 at 07:41 AM..
Old 06-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Research, research

The bottom got on top of me? Nah, too [no]. Try this. Lines preceeding this are, "It's gotta' be deadhead chemistry." What are Greatful Dead concerts famous for? Acid trips. So, "The blotter got on top of me, got me seein E- motherfuckin'- T!" Also, the lead in track, Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann), gives further support for this. To many sixties and seventies college students, Dr. Albert Hofmann was known as the father of what he referred to as his "problem child," LSD, on April 19, 1943. Dr. Hofmann is also well known for his work with the psilocybin mushroom from which he synthesized what is essentially N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT). I have read, in various places, that this particular compound may play a role in one of the band member's meditative preparations.

Be that as it may, I posit that what we have here is the tale of someone who has ventured out into the desert of an evening armed with certain supplies but the experience has gone awry, shall we say. He shows up at a hospital, buzzed out of his skull, not really sure what's real any more and this is the tale he tells.

Does this work for you?

Last edited by paraflux; 06-05-2006 at 07:41 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
06-04-2006, 03:42 PM

yes
Old 06-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261
Re: Research, research

yes
savelints8's Avatar savelints8
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM

It works.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: The Phallus Palace Fernando Clavijo: Resigned!!! Sex: ***MALE***
Bincount™: 4914

It works.
Get_Ya_Wicked_On
06-04-2006, 07:53 PM

I think the majority have come to that conclusion about... over a month ago.

And yes, it does indeed work.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

The Official Fiction's Avatar The Official Fiction
06-04-2006, 10:35 PM

Works like a charm.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Works like a charm.
06-04-2006, 10:42 PM

I don't get it...
Old 06-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

I don't get it...
tbrent21's Avatar tbrent21
06-05-2006, 02:23 AM

It works other than perhaps "I don't want to be all alone when I tell this story" hints to me that its not the first time he's told this story.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:23 AM   #7

It works other than perhaps "I don't want to be all alone when I tell this story" hints to me that its not the first time he's told this story.
06-05-2006, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Ya_Wicked_On

Those of us of lesser ability beg your indulgance as we struggle to know the world as you do. Pity us, smile on us, bless us in your ever wonderous wisdom, and share with us your opinion on whether this poor buzzed individual has had an actual encounter in his tripped out state, or whether his blotter was simply of a much higher quality than expected in combination with the sugar rush from the Krispy Kremes? At this point, my own uninformed mind leans towards the first. He's out there, watching the pretty colors, "contemplating the whole 'chosen people thing,' [. . .] when a flaming stealth banana split the sky, like, wide open."

But he's too fuckin' high. Remembers parts of it, but not all, ends up at the hospital (after losing his keys), winds up strapped to a bed wondering if he's ever going to come down, really freKin' over not being able to remember what they said, and shittin the bed. And if I'm playing catch up here, sorry. please bear with me, oh wise and most noble being of light and understanding.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:

Those of us of lesser ability beg your indulgance as we struggle to know the world as you do. Pity us, smile on us, bless us in your ever wonderous wisdom, and share with us your opinion on whether this poor buzzed individual has had an actual encounter in his tripped out state, or whether his blotter was simply of a much higher quality than expected in combination with the sugar rush from the Krispy Kremes? At this point, my own uninformed mind leans towards the first. He's out there, watching the pretty colors, "contemplating the whole 'chosen people thing,' [. . .] when a flaming stealth banana split the sky, like, wide open."

But he's too fuckin' high. Remembers parts of it, but not all, ends up at the hospital (after losing his keys), winds up strapped to a bed wondering if he's ever going to come down, really freKin' over not being able to remember what they said, and shittin the bed. And if I'm playing catch up here, sorry. please bear with me, oh wise and most noble being of light and understanding.
squinch
06-05-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:

But he's too fuckin' high. Remembers parts of it, but not all, ends up at the hospital (after losing his keys), winds up strapped to a bed wondering if he's ever going to come down, really freakin' over not being able to remember what they said, and shittin the bed. And if I'm playing catch up here, sorry. please bear with me, oh wise and most noble being of light and understanding.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 AM   #9

Quote:

But he's too fuckin' high. Remembers parts of it, but not all, ends up at the hospital (after losing his keys), winds up strapped to a bed wondering if he's ever going to come down, really freakin' over not being able to remember what they said, and shittin the bed. And if I'm playing catch up here, sorry. please bear with me, oh wise and most noble being of light and understanding.
tbrent21's Avatar tbrent21
06-05-2006, 06:03 AM

squinch, I wouldn't bother trying to squelch the smart-asses on this board. Would love to find a way to systematically remove them like you would any kind of termite or roach, but if you convince one to back off, three more take his place. I would ask you though, does he really "lose his keys"? The nurse says he has no ID, so if his personal items are missing its more than just his keys. Perhaps also his Birkenstocks are gone ("feet cold and eyes red"). I thought Lost Keys was just a funny play on words that tied into the fact that he lost the Message of Hope For Those Who Choose to Hear It (the "key" or Rosetta Stone to the details of our ending).
Old 06-05-2006, 06:03 AM   #10

squinch, I wouldn't bother trying to squelch the smart-asses on this board. Would love to find a way to systematically remove them like you would any kind of termite or roach, but if you convince one to back off, three more take his place. I would ask you though, does he really "lose his keys"? The nurse says he has no ID, so if his personal items are missing its more than just his keys. Perhaps also his Birkenstocks are gone ("feet cold and eyes red"). I thought Lost Keys was just a funny play on words that tied into the fact that he lost the Message of Hope For Those Who Choose to Hear It (the "key" or Rosetta Stone to the details of our ending).
06-05-2006, 01:44 PM

on first listen i knew it was the blotter got on top of me.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

on first listen i knew it was the blotter got on top of me.
06-05-2006, 05:23 PM

i thought the lyrics were

"Fuck me.
Sodomy.
A dead head chemistry.
Bladder problems won't stifle me.
If I can't make it,
people who are watching, SEE..."
Old 06-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

i thought the lyrics were

"Fuck me.
Sodomy.
A dead head chemistry.
Bladder problems won't stifle me.
If I can't make it,
people who are watching, SEE..."
squinch
06-11-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent21

Squelch them? Why bother? Invite their participation, eventually they'll end up with "Foot in mouth and head up ass." Or maybe even prove to be a statistical anomally, and utter something profound. I had pictured, from some of my own (telling on myself) experiences with various reality altering substances, that it might be entirely possible to have gotten mic'd up on blotter out in the desert, when "Holy fucking shit," "E-motherfuckin'-T," is yelling at me and I'm pissing my pants. Then the rest of the story, the orange slices, etc, but it's surreal and his heart is pounding "'cause this shit never happens to him," but "finally, it's [his] lucky day." But he's fucked it all up by being too fucking high out there. He freaks, ends up at the hospital, whether he lost his physical tranportation keys or not, although I can see it happening easily. Strapped to a bed in a psych ward. Feet cold, hospitals are notoriously cold, it keeps the germs down. Eyes red, maybe tripping doesn't do that to folk anymore? The second meaning of being too stoned, tripping where it may not be appropriate, losing the meaning because you lost sight of what your goal was in the first place ("But I forgot my pen") is excellent, and typical Tool, right? I'm not that big into analyzing Maynards lyrics, but this seems to be in keeping with the leitmotif of this recording. Perhaps a little (?) critical of the constant get-high-in-search-of-enlightenment thing. As I see Vicarious being a little critical of the sit-and-watch-the-world-die-while-I-eat-my Whopper-and-nachos-and-listen-to-10,000 Days-for-the-4,000th-time mentality of the folk who are buying the recording. And the total irony is that they're all looking for some completely metaphysical message from Maynard guiding them to the next level of existence. Oops, sorry about the rant. Shit the bed again. . . .

Last edited by squinch; 06-11-2006 at 01:17 PM..
Old 06-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent21

Squelch them? Why bother? Invite their participation, eventually they'll end up with "Foot in mouth and head up ass." Or maybe even prove to be a statistical anomally, and utter something profound. I had pictured, from some of my own (telling on myself) experiences with various reality altering substances, that it might be entirely possible to have gotten mic'd up on blotter out in the desert, when "Holy fucking shit," "E-motherfuckin'-T," is yelling at me and I'm pissing my pants. Then the rest of the story, the orange slices, etc, but it's surreal and his heart is pounding "'cause this shit never happens to him," but "finally, it's [his] lucky day." But he's fucked it all up by being too fucking high out there. He freaks, ends up at the hospital, whether he lost his physical tranportation keys or not, although I can see it happening easily. Strapped to a bed in a psych ward. Feet cold, hospitals are notoriously cold, it keeps the germs down. Eyes red, maybe tripping doesn't do that to folk anymore? The second meaning of being too stoned, tripping where it may not be appropriate, losing the meaning because you lost sight of what your goal was in the first place ("But I forgot my pen") is excellent, and typical Tool, right? I'm not that big into analyzing Maynards lyrics, but this seems to be in keeping with the leitmotif of this recording. Perhaps a little (?) critical of the constant get-high-in-search-of-enlightenment thing. As I see Vicarious being a little critical of the sit-and-watch-the-world-die-while-I-eat-my Whopper-and-nachos-and-listen-to-10,000 Days-for-the-4,000th-time mentality of the folk who are buying the recording. And the total irony is that they're all looking for some completely metaphysical message from Maynard guiding them to the next level of existence. Oops, sorry about the rant. Shit the bed again. . . .

Last edited by squinch; 06-11-2006 at 01:17 PM..
squinch
06-11-2006, 06:07 PM

Damn, so what's the unobvious, under the surface meaning? Why does it have to have an unobvious hidden meaning? How do you know it does? I'm not trying to be a wuss, really, I thought I was understanding it, a little, now you tell me no. So, is that it? Just no, and nothing else? Again I ask, how do you know that it means something else? I can show how I say it means what I think it means, but I don't see anything that supports another meaning.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #14

Damn, so what's the unobvious, under the surface meaning? Why does it have to have an unobvious hidden meaning? How do you know it does? I'm not trying to be a wuss, really, I thought I was understanding it, a little, now you tell me no. So, is that it? Just no, and nothing else? Again I ask, how do you know that it means something else? I can show how I say it means what I think it means, but I don't see anything that supports another meaning.
jim39n's Avatar jim39n
06-11-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squinch

i think it's somewhere between the two. maybe the acid allowed him to mentally be contacted by these aliens/interdimsional beings
Old 06-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by squinch

i think it's somewhere between the two. maybe the acid allowed him to mentally be contacted by these aliens/interdimsional beings
06-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Did any of you stop to consider that this narrative may be from the point of view of a Dominant and that in all seriousness his bottom has gotten on top of him?
Think about it, I know I didn't.

*disclaimer: this is meant to be amusing... if you don't find it so you probably just arent perverted enough.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Did any of you stop to consider that this narrative may be from the point of view of a Dominant and that in all seriousness his bottom has gotten on top of him?
Think about it, I know I didn't.

*disclaimer: this is meant to be amusing... if you don't find it so you probably just arent perverted enough.
06-12-2006, 06:34 AM

well darn, somebody just say, "calm down, take a deep fucking breath, you've finally caught up to the rest of the world, glad to have you, now settle your ass down."
Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #17

well darn, somebody just say, "calm down, take a deep fucking breath, you've finally caught up to the rest of the world, glad to have you, now settle your ass down."
The Automata's Avatar The Automata
06-12-2006, 07:18 AM

idk from this i get some sort of homsexual reference

"When a FLAMING STEALTH BANANA split the sky like, wide open.
I never expected to see it in a place like this.
I do believe I SPILLED A DIAMOND SUNDAE
Or something wet on my Birkenstocks"

those two things sound pretty gay to me
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

CaseLogic
06-12-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automata

A bit homophobic are we? Been keeping something from your parents?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

A bit homophobic are we? Been keeping something from your parents?
The Automata's Avatar The Automata
06-13-2006, 07:30 AM

not homophobic at all just being observant and the fact that maynard is indeed gay does sort of reinforce that but hey i could be wrong
Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

not homophobic at all just being observant and the fact that maynard is indeed gay does sort of reinforce that but hey i could be wrong
lonelydumptruck's Avatar lonelydumptruck
06-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
You have a serious lack of critical thinking skills.

Also, the fact that maynard is gay would maybe reinforce your idea, but first he would have to be gay. So unless he's fucked you in the ass lately, I'm gonna say that your hypothesis is crap.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
You have a serious lack of critical thinking skills.

Also, the fact that maynard is gay would maybe reinforce your idea, but first he would have to be gay. So unless he's fucked you in the ass lately, I'm gonna say that your hypothesis is crap.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply