Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-27-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Aenema11
begged like a hooker all night long" .
What kinda hooker is Maynard familiar with, 5 dollar crack-ho's begging for crack?
Old 05-27-2006, 04:08 AM   #121
On Probation

Bincount™: 163
Re: poll-favorite moment of 10,000 days

Quote:
begged like a hooker all night long" .
What kinda hooker is Maynard familiar with, 5 dollar crack-ho's begging for crack?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
One Dark Flame's Avatar One Dark Flame
05-27-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
Maybe he is kind sir Maybe he is. No, but seriously that line amuses me, how about you??
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
Old 05-27-2006, 08:32 AM   #122
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
Maybe he is kind sir Maybe he is. No, but seriously that line amuses me, how about you??
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
5th Eye's Avatar 5th Eye
05-27-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Reflections
I LOVE that part.
Me too.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #123
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Reflections
I LOVE that part.
Me too.
05-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Vicarious - "Why can't we just admit it?"
10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) - "I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one."
The Pot - "Who are you to wave your finger?
You must have been out your head
Eyehole deep in muddy waters
You practically raised the dead"

All those parts are really great. But I love absolutely everything on the album.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #124
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Vicarious - "Why can't we just admit it?"
10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) - "I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one."
The Pot - "Who are you to wave your finger?
You must have been out your head
Eyehole deep in muddy waters
You practically raised the dead"

All those parts are really great. But I love absolutely everything on the album.
05-27-2006, 07:03 PM

Definitly agree with "wix3l"
Old 05-27-2006, 07:03 PM   #125
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Definitly agree with "wix3l"
05-27-2006, 07:14 PM

jambi mainly 4 minutes to the end
Old 05-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #126
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

jambi mainly 4 minutes to the end
05-27-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obwah
4:00+ in Jambi. Love it...
I'd include from like 3:00 - 5:30 in Jambi as being totally sweet, like your avi
Old 05-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #127
alpha male (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by obwah
4:00+ in Jambi. Love it...
I'd include from like 3:00 - 5:30 in Jambi as being totally sweet, like your avi
05-27-2006, 07:25 PM

" Wings Part 2"
Wurring weird sounds
"Daylight dims leaving cold floresent", so on and so on tell the end
Old 05-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #128
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

" Wings Part 2"
Wurring weird sounds
"Daylight dims leaving cold floresent", so on and so on tell the end
Norfleet's Avatar Norfleet
05-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Vicarious - Pretty much the last 1:30 of the song, especially the way Submachine described the last vocals. Just to add, I like how the entire song is him more or less venting frustration leading to the build-up, then there's the short pause where he says "We all feed..." and you can hear his voice quiver just a little bit, like he's just about to explode... and then he does.

10,000 Days - "Judith Marie, unconditional one" to the rest of the song.

The Pot - From 3:40 on through the rest of the song.

LK / Rosetta Stoned - The entire thing.

Intension - All the volume swells, and basically from 3:50 on.

Right in Two - The entire song, minus the tabla solo. It fits the song, but I know what comes after it and I want to hear that more... sorry.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #129
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Vicarious - Pretty much the last 1:30 of the song, especially the way Submachine described the last vocals. Just to add, I like how the entire song is him more or less venting frustration leading to the build-up, then there's the short pause where he says "We all feed..." and you can hear his voice quiver just a little bit, like he's just about to explode... and then he does.

10,000 Days - "Judith Marie, unconditional one" to the rest of the song.

The Pot - From 3:40 on through the rest of the song.

LK / Rosetta Stoned - The entire thing.

Intension - All the volume swells, and basically from 3:50 on.

Right in Two - The entire song, minus the tabla solo. It fits the song, but I know what comes after it and I want to hear that more... sorry.
05-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Vicarious - From the final build-up (starting with "Credulous at best...") through to the end.

Jambi - The breakdown in the middle, right after "Then I might as well be gone"

Wings/10,000 Days - "You're the only one who can hold your head up high" to "Judith Marie, Unconditional one"

The Pot - From around 3:15 to the drop out after "You must have been out your mind" ... and then further, through the bridge.

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned - "Overwhelmed as one would be" to "Typical"

Intension - Tough to pick a moment in this one... I can't think of one that stands out.

Right in Two - From around 5:15 to 7:10, but the part around "conscious of his fleeting time here" is pretty awesome too.

Ever since seeing Jambi live, that breakdown has been my favourite moment on the album. Before that, it was definitely the part in The Pot.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #130
Level 4 - Thinker

Vicarious - From the final build-up (starting with "Credulous at best...") through to the end.

Jambi - The breakdown in the middle, right after "Then I might as well be gone"

Wings/10,000 Days - "You're the only one who can hold your head up high" to "Judith Marie, Unconditional one"

The Pot - From around 3:15 to the drop out after "You must have been out your mind" ... and then further, through the bridge.

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned - "Overwhelmed as one would be" to "Typical"

Intension - Tough to pick a moment in this one... I can't think of one that stands out.

Right in Two - From around 5:15 to 7:10, but the part around "conscious of his fleeting time here" is pretty awesome too.

Ever since seeing Jambi live, that breakdown has been my favourite moment on the album. Before that, it was definitely the part in The Pot.
05-27-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah I always find jokes about the less-fortunate amusing, especially when told by the ultra-fortunate.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #131
On Probation

Quote:
Yeah I always find jokes about the less-fortunate amusing, especially when told by the ultra-fortunate.
#Notion's Avatar #Notion
05-29-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfleet
WTF?

That solo took an already great song and like... dumped golden chocolate chips on it and smeared it all in double D size titties...covered in BEER

Seriously though, not only is Danny integrating a great tabla solo, he's also setting a percussional (sorry I'm no musician) foundation for the peak of the song. Listen later in the song and you'll hear the same beat from the solo being played hard and fast and just totally spinning the song out of control.. fucking rocks..
Old 05-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #132
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfleet
WTF?

That solo took an already great song and like... dumped golden chocolate chips on it and smeared it all in double D size titties...covered in BEER

Seriously though, not only is Danny integrating a great tabla solo, he's also setting a percussional (sorry I'm no musician) foundation for the peak of the song. Listen later in the song and you'll hear the same beat from the solo being played hard and fast and just totally spinning the song out of control.. fucking rocks..
AsylumVT's Avatar AsylumVT
05-29-2006, 04:13 PM

I gotta say either 10,000 days, shake your fist... part or GOD DAM SHIT THE BED from rosetta stoned i just blast that whole part from strapped down-god dam shit the bed its just the way he says it is amazing
Old 05-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #133
Level 4 - Thinker

I gotta say either 10,000 days, shake your fist... part or GOD DAM SHIT THE BED from rosetta stoned i just blast that whole part from strapped down-god dam shit the bed its just the way he says it is amazing
guitarpete987
05-29-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral9
I have really fallen in love with the the third verse in Right In Two. What is so great about this song is that in each verse, there is a new part for all three instruments. Danny goes from light cymbal work in the first verse, to the tabla in the second verse and finally to his full kit in the last verse before chorus number 1. Justin starts with the harmonics and bending, then goes to a different riff with another effects pedal and finally brings the full, thick bass tone to the third verse. Adam starts with a cleanly picked riff that will later form the chorus, then moves to some higher notes and a new riff on the low D and ends with a neat little jam on that palm-muted mini-bridge riff. Even Maynard mixes it up and achieves stunningly beautiful results in the way he sings "How they survive so misguided is a mystery...".

From 3:10 until the chorus kicks in is where all 4 hit their stride and it's one of the best moments on the album.
I'm so glad others feel this way. I said it in another thread that this song has a flawless build. That's one of the things I like about this album. I love that the songs expand in layers.

Tool didn't always do this. They started to do this in Lateralus, but not really that much. The songs The Grudge and Schism did this a little, and so did D/R/T. But other than that, Tool's style has always been about repeated rhythms that push/pull. Prison Sex. Stinkfist. Undertow. Jimmy. Aenima. All of the Opiate album. It was all very riff-based. They took a riff and repeated it, then moved on to the next one. Then the chorus. Then back. Then they drew it out. Put in a bridge.

But now they build in layers. The pot doesn't do this, but that's why it sounds like an Undertow song. They are so much more melodic now. And I'm not talking about Maynard, specifically. I'm talking about the entire band.

On most of the songs on this new album they kinda start with one idea and then put other little tweaks to the same idea until they have taken that idea to it's peak with all four contributing fully. Maybe that's why some people don't like it as much now. It's largely a different type of songwriting. It's so much more thinking as an ensemble. And I love it!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:15 PM   #134
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral9
I have really fallen in love with the the third verse in Right In Two. What is so great about this song is that in each verse, there is a new part for all three instruments. Danny goes from light cymbal work in the first verse, to the tabla in the second verse and finally to his full kit in the last verse before chorus number 1. Justin starts with the harmonics and bending, then goes to a different riff with another effects pedal and finally brings the full, thick bass tone to the third verse. Adam starts with a cleanly picked riff that will later form the chorus, then moves to some higher notes and a new riff on the low D and ends with a neat little jam on that palm-muted mini-bridge riff. Even Maynard mixes it up and achieves stunningly beautiful results in the way he sings "How they survive so misguided is a mystery...".

From 3:10 until the chorus kicks in is where all 4 hit their stride and it's one of the best moments on the album.
I'm so glad others feel this way. I said it in another thread that this song has a flawless build. That's one of the things I like about this album. I love that the songs expand in layers.

Tool didn't always do this. They started to do this in Lateralus, but not really that much. The songs The Grudge and Schism did this a little, and so did D/R/T. But other than that, Tool's style has always been about repeated rhythms that push/pull. Prison Sex. Stinkfist. Undertow. Jimmy. Aenima. All of the Opiate album. It was all very riff-based. They took a riff and repeated it, then moved on to the next one. Then the chorus. Then back. Then they drew it out. Put in a bridge.

But now they build in layers. The pot doesn't do this, but that's why it sounds like an Undertow song. They are so much more melodic now. And I'm not talking about Maynard, specifically. I'm talking about the entire band.

On most of the songs on this new album they kinda start with one idea and then put other little tweaks to the same idea until they have taken that idea to it's peak with all four contributing fully. Maybe that's why some people don't like it as much now. It's largely a different type of songwriting. It's so much more thinking as an ensemble. And I love it!
christoph's Avatar christoph
05-29-2006, 04:22 PM

The Pot - 1:55-1:56 (the hiiiiiiiiiigh bit). Also, the way he sings "so full of it" on The Pot at 2:25.

And everything else that's been mentioned in here.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #135
Level 2 - Poster

The Pot - 1:55-1:56 (the hiiiiiiiiiigh bit). Also, the way he sings "so full of it" on The Pot at 2:25.

And everything else that's been mentioned in here.
AsylumVT's Avatar AsylumVT
05-29-2006, 04:25 PM

On most of the songs on this new album they kinda start with one idea and then put other little tweaks to the same idea until they have taken that idea to it's peak with all four contributing fully. Maybe that's why some people don't like it as much now. It's largely a different type of songwriting. It's so much more thinking as an ensemble. And I love it![/QUOTE]
I like what your saying. Its the way I feel about the album. Its more art than music. They have shaped an image basically into a song. A story into a song. A big idea that most people have and hate and shaped it into a melody that is amazing. Its the reason why I love this album. Its art, not popular demand.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #136
Level 4 - Thinker

On most of the songs on this new album they kinda start with one idea and then put other little tweaks to the same idea until they have taken that idea to it's peak with all four contributing fully. Maybe that's why some people don't like it as much now. It's largely a different type of songwriting. It's so much more thinking as an ensemble. And I love it![/QUOTE]
I like what your saying. Its the way I feel about the album. Its more art than music. They have shaped an image basically into a song. A story into a song. A big idea that most people have and hate and shaped it into a melody that is amazing. Its the reason why I love this album. Its art, not popular demand.
sweatyturtle19's Avatar sweatyturtle19
05-29-2006, 04:30 PM

There's way too many moments to choose from, I don't think I could choose.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:30 PM   #137
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

There's way too many moments to choose from, I don't think I could choose.
Rosetta Stoned
05-29-2006, 07:50 PM

the last stanza in of Wings Part 2.

referring to his mother coming face to face with GOD,

"Look Him in the eye, look Him in the eye, and tell Him:
I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one.
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home."

i know i hear a laugh (muffled but there) during that...

anyone else catch that?

The Pot. Oh my lord, I was laughing my ass off when i heard that for the first time.

"Foot in mouth and head up ass
So what ya talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out, boy"

ROSETTA STONED....at first I really disliked this song because of the similarities that it shares with past tool songs. But now I realize why they wrote it, and why maynard chose the lyrics the way he did.

"You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better listen."

there are a TON of amazing lyrics in this recording...

RIGHT IN TWO

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

amazing.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #138
Level 4 - Thinker

the last stanza in of Wings Part 2.

referring to his mother coming face to face with GOD,

"Look Him in the eye, look Him in the eye, and tell Him:
I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one.
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home."

i know i hear a laugh (muffled but there) during that...

anyone else catch that?

The Pot. Oh my lord, I was laughing my ass off when i heard that for the first time.

"Foot in mouth and head up ass
So what ya talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out, boy"

ROSETTA STONED....at first I really disliked this song because of the similarities that it shares with past tool songs. But now I realize why they wrote it, and why maynard chose the lyrics the way he did.

"You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better listen."

there are a TON of amazing lyrics in this recording...

RIGHT IN TWO

"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

amazing.
inSin's Avatar inSin
05-30-2006, 09:59 AM

but i forgot my pen
Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #139
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

but i forgot my pen
will see you auntie's Avatar will see you auntie
06-05-2006, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
WTF?

absolutely right, very, very, very well put too. funny.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:30 AM   #140
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
WTF?

absolutely right, very, very, very well put too. funny.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
06-05-2006, 09:47 AM

At around 7:00 of Rosetta...Justin and Danny ripping. Orgasm deluxe.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #141
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
06-05-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
WTF?

You deserve some kind of award for that.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #142
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

Quote:
WTF?

You deserve some kind of award for that.
Huff's Avatar Huff
06-07-2006, 10:32 AM

I'm surprised that no one has talked about the part at the end of Wings pt2:

I don't know the time....but it's after "Judith Marie.....unconditional one...." and then there 's about 30 seconds of jamming with a wah pedal I think and THEN...there's the most whop-ass fucking heavy key change I"ve ever heard....holy crap I love that part....

They do it near to the start of Wings pt1 as well.....seriously my fav on the album.

Also loooove when right in two gets heavy again and the "overwhelmed" part in Rosetta.

-David Cross
Old 06-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #143
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'm surprised that no one has talked about the part at the end of Wings pt2:

I don't know the time....but it's after "Judith Marie.....unconditional one...." and then there 's about 30 seconds of jamming with a wah pedal I think and THEN...there's the most whop-ass fucking heavy key change I"ve ever heard....holy crap I love that part....

They do it near to the start of Wings pt1 as well.....seriously my fav on the album.

Also loooove when right in two gets heavy again and the "overwhelmed" part in Rosetta.

-David Cross
06-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
from 7:00 'til the end of the song is really really awesome (imo.)
It's true, like Ive been saying the first 7 minutes are blah, the last 4 minutes are great.

No where are all those who bitched about 'percentages'

lol

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=1127914
Old 06-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #144
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
from 7:00 'til the end of the song is really really awesome (imo.)
It's true, like Ive been saying the first 7 minutes are blah, the last 4 minutes are great.

No where are all those who bitched about 'percentages'

lol

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=1127914
sprucemoose3311's Avatar sprucemoose3311
06-07-2006, 04:16 PM

the opening lines to jambi, if i hear that anywhere ile stop and listen, cant focus on anything else
Old 06-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #145
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 59

the opening lines to jambi, if i hear that anywhere ile stop and listen, cant focus on anything else
06-07-2006, 08:41 PM

Vicarious - everytime the chorus appears....

Jambi - the heavy "shine on" lyrics

Wings for Marie pt.1 - (whole song)

10,000 Days/ Wings for Marie pt.2 - (whole song)

The Pot - After the silenced part of "...what's the difference.." where they start up again

Lipan Conjuring - just being able to figure out the meaning makes this song interesting

Lost keys (Blame Hoffman) - (whole song because it's a lead up)

Rossetta Stoned - "...Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position. Such a heavy burden out to be..the one. Born to bare and read you all the details of our ending. To run it down for all the world to see..."

Intentions - (whole song)

Right In Two - The starting of the heavy parts...

Vigint Tres. - (whole song)

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 06-07-2006 at 08:43 PM..
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #146
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Vicarious - everytime the chorus appears....

Jambi - the heavy "shine on" lyrics

Wings for Marie pt.1 - (whole song)

10,000 Days/ Wings for Marie pt.2 - (whole song)

The Pot - After the silenced part of "...what's the difference.." where they start up again

Lipan Conjuring - just being able to figure out the meaning makes this song interesting

Lost keys (Blame Hoffman) - (whole song because it's a lead up)

Rossetta Stoned - "...Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position. Such a heavy burden out to be..the one. Born to bare and read you all the details of our ending. To run it down for all the world to see..."

Intentions - (whole song)

Right In Two - The starting of the heavy parts...

Vigint Tres. - (whole song)

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 06-07-2006 at 08:43 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply