opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/27 - Madrid, ESP - Festimad

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/27 - Madrid, ESP - Festimad

Well, beautiful concert...first time seeing Tool, my favourite band. The sound was not very good, because it was done in a place not prepared acoustically for concerts. Anyway, the concert was very good. Maynard seemed as he was enjoying, and he danced a lot. Justin and Danny awesome and Adam very very serious (as always?). The crowd was very good, not a lot of mosh pits...I didn't dance a lot because I prefer to watch how they play...the setlist was something like this, I could be wrong:

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober!!!
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

The hi point for me was Lateralus...that song was beautifully played...and the people enjoyed Sober a lot (was a surprise for me).

Last edited by just_a_monkey; 05-27-2006 at 05:15 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

One thing to note is that there was no pause after Lateralus, like they did on other concerts.

And the concert was free!!! We were very very lucky that festival (festimad) was free this year.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2006, 02:11 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Great concert. BAD set list:

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
2006-06-29 . Werchter (Rock Werchter Festival)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, well, still with the hangover from the last night's show.....

I'll skip through the first bands, though they were quite good, I specially liked Vertice, but I'll go straight to the point: Tool!

The stage and the Sound was incredible, but as it was my first Tool show I might not be a very reliable source for this.
The only thing I did not like is that they only played 1h 25 min, while I was expecting about 2 hours..............I think that this was some festimad rule, for Deftones also played 1 hour and a half aproximately.

Well, the tracklist was as follows:

1.Stinkfist
2.46 and two
3.Jambi
4.Schism
5.Lost keys (blame Hoffman)
6.Rosseta Stoned
7.Sober
8.Lateralus
9.Vicarious
10.Aenima

The songs were all great, I think it's the best show I've ever seen, the images in the white curtains were impressive and fitted perfectly with the songs.

Maynard was impressive, and Rossetta Stoned sounded incredibly good!,I don't know which device he was using, but he created the exact voice and double voicing taking the current mic and that device he was taking with him!!

The bass is the best I've ever heard in all my life, and the drum setting was simply HUGE, with a chinese gong in the back, which he did not use,unfortunately, for I think it's used for 10,000 days (wings II) and I really wanted to have that one in the concert.

Anyway, the mix of great old songs and really kicking-ass new songs was great and solid, and I must say that the new songs gain a lot of strenght when played live, and Jambi is just brutal!

I really enjoyed the show, and I can say nothing bad about it,just that I really didn't want it to finish, and it was too short.......

I hope they come to Madrid again soon, I'll go no matter how!!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

I went to the Riviera show in 2002, and it kicked ass way more than this. Not only they played more time (almost 2 hours), Maynard moved crazy, and the setlist was just PERFECT. I am a huge fan from Tool, but I do not like Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned, I think they are the worst songs by Tool, so I was pissed off almost fifteen minutes of the show. I would rather prefered The Pot and Right in Two, or Wings for Marie, I think that one is simply great, but I know they don´t play it in the tour. By the way, in the Lateralus Tour Tool change the setlist more, i don´t know why they are so repetitive in this tour, I hope the next legs would be better. If anyone cares I was in second line in both 2002 and Festimad, in La Riviera I was in the right side (in front of Justin, with perfect vision of Maynard, Danny and the screens) and for compensate in Festimad I was in the left (in front of Adam, so inexpresive that almost frightened me, put passion on it, man! Almost perfect vision of Maynard, Danny, Justin and the screens). So I was very happy, I liked the show a lot, just telling the black points, in my opinion. And about being a free festival, Deftones and Tool by de gratis xD, I liked it, but Festimad is full of idiots, and they deserve to expend money ON US.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza_No_Kyoku_Hana
with a chinese gong in the back, which he did not use,unfortunately, for I think it's used for 10,000 days (wings II) and I really wanted to have that one in the concert.
sorry to correct you, but he did use it once... i think it was during Lateralus, but i'm not sure...
anyway, i am absolutely sure he used it... being a drummer myself, i was pretty much into Carey's performance, and at one point i thought he lost a drumstick and was reaching for another to replace, but instead, he got the batter and clearly hit the gong in the middle of an instrumental part... without stopping his rhythm... simply impressive

and i don't know if i can add anything new to the comments made... i'll try to make a comment anyway...

La Cubierta (the show's venue) is pretty famous here for it's horrendous acoustic properties... i've seen bands like Korn or Incubus there, and know people who have seen Rage Against The Machine, Slipknot or Dream Theater, and we all have the same opinion... it wasn't built meant to be used to host concerts, and local promoters should be aware after so many years that it isn't a place where you can set up any music events... we can't understand why they continue using it for these type of shows...
it's a bullring with a mechanically operated cover (hence the name, "The Covered" which can be opened or closed... and the sound rebounds everywhere, making concerts practically unhearable... anyway, Tool sounded amazingly "correct", the instruments were more or less distinguishable (although the voice was a bit too much under everything else, i remember seeing them in the Lateralus tour in La Riviera, and Maynard's voice was much more leveled with the others), and it was clearly better than the rest of the bands' sound...

i saw the show almost centered, 1st row in the seatings, and saw everything perfectly... the audience was very active, jumping and waving but not moshing or anything like that... and i guess Maynard kind of got along, as he came down of his raiser, even getting a t-shirt someone threw onstage, showing it to Carey & Jones, and keeping it...

btw, the show was "almost" free... last year's Festimad festival was a complete disaster (some problems with one of the stages led to Incubus playing at 1am when they should've played at 9pm, System of a Down playing at 3am, and The Prodigy playing nearly at 6am... and there were many riots, with several promo cars and stalls burnt), so this year they decided to move the festival to that crappy venue (instead of doing an outdoor festival with camping), and make it "free", and you could get invitations for the show via the local town halls (for residents only), or via a drawing, after sending your participation via SMS ($2 per participation, limited to 5 participations per festival day)...

PS. i'm almost certain (if it is useful to confirm everyone else's) the setlist for the show is:

Stinkfist (w/ extended bridge)
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism (w/ extended bridge)
Lost Keys (Maynard with megaphone)
Rosetta Stoned (Maynard alternating normal mic with megaphone)
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
AEnema
Old 05-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniki
sorry to correct you, but he did use it once... i think it was during Lateralus, but i'm not sure...
anyway, i am absolutely sure he used it... being a drummer myself, i was pretty much into Carey's performance, and at one point i thought he lost a drumstick and was reaching for another to replace, but instead, he got the batter and clearly hit the gong in the middle of an instrumental part... without stopping his rhythm... simply impressive
thanks,man!, I guess I was just over excited and I did not realize that precise moment..........

BTW, I was sitting in the first rows in the front too with my twin brother!

Thanx again, I hope I'll have the chance to pay more attention next time.......
Old 05-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

BTW, he used the gong. (See drummerworld.com for Danny Carey's lateralus)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_monkey
One thing to note is that there was no pause after Lateralus, like they did on other concerts.

And the concert was free!!! We were very very lucky that festival (festimad) was free this year.
Free??? That is too much to say!! So that everyone kows: there were no tickets for sale, just a weird system to give double invitations away. You had to send an SMS(1€ each, I think), then enter your details, then hope to be lucky, if you win, if not....there was the possibility to send 5 SMS a day, so many people may have sent dozens....RIDICULOUS. I cannot wait to be "lucky" to get tickets, so I went to Lisbon, and I saw Tool+ Placebo+Deftones+Alice in Chains+more, and beer for 1,5€, all for 38€!!!
Fuck Festimad!!!!

Long live TOOL!!!!
Alice in Chains--Welcome back guys!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjgtovar
so I went to Lisbon, and I saw Tool+ Placebo+Deftones+Alice in Chains+more, and beer for 1,5€, all for 38€!!!
Fuck Festimad!!!!

Long live TOOL!!!!
Alice in Chains--Welcome back guys!!!!
loads of spanish speaking people (also galego and catalan) passed me by while I waited on a friend outside the Super Bock festival entrance..the same happened inside,of course...strong presence from people from the eastern part of Iberia
Old 06-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skane
loads of spanish speaking people (also galego and catalan) passed me by while I waited on a friend outside the Super Bock festival entrance..the same happened inside,of course...strong presence from people from the eastern part of Iberia
Yes Skane, lots of Spaniards, same as 2002 at Ozzfest, which I also enjoyed!! I have to say Portuguese and Spaniards are "unknown neighbourgs", but I found both festivals in 2002 and 2006 great! Great people too!!!

We both should learn each other´s language, lol!

Se me olvidó:
"Fuck Festimad!!!!
Gracias/Obrigado/Thanks Lisbon for giving us the chance again to see a decent Tool concert"
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: