Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
Blyker
04-21-2006, 05:09 PM

I dunno, it might only be me but these gimmick vallue songs of Tool get old real fast. Sure they are funny to listen to once maybe twice but then they have to get the hell of my cd so i can listen to the music.

Like who ever listens to numbers like:
Maynard's Dick
Faaip De Oiad
Die Eier Von Satan
Message to Harry Manback

anymore?

Or does everyone enjoy the long silence in flood for instance? Real nice when your running it in your cd player in the car.

I ended up ripping those albums and reburning them wihtout those one time listening gimmick numbers.

Yes i will still buy the cd but its sad that the only time it will play is when i rip it in order to reburn it without the gimmick number.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Why should i buy it when i have to reburn it anyway?

I dunno, it might only be me but these gimmick vallue songs of Tool get old real fast. Sure they are funny to listen to once maybe twice but then they have to get the hell of my cd so i can listen to the music.

Maynard's Dick
Faaip De Oiad
Die Eier Von Satan
Message to Harry Manback

anymore?

Or does everyone enjoy the long silence in flood for instance? Real nice when your running it in your cd player in the car.

I ended up ripping those albums and reburning them wihtout those one time listening gimmick numbers.

Yes i will still buy the cd but its sad that the only time it will play is when i rip it in order to reburn it without the gimmick number.
OFFLINE |  
stinkfish's Avatar stinkfish
04-21-2006, 05:15 PM

So? I got a big collection of albums from all kinds of band that I haven't even opened. I've never heard a single track from a tool album from a CD. I got it all on my computer and ipod.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 21
Re: Why should i buy it when i have to reburn it anyway?

So? I got a big collection of albums from all kinds of band that I haven't even opened. I've never heard a single track from a tool album from a CD. I got it all on my computer and ipod.
OFFLINE |  
s0l0
04-21-2006, 05:15 PM

.....Maynard's dick is actually a pretty good song, you just have to forward through the first half. Die Eier Von Satan is actually pretty neat too. I'm with you on the other ones.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

.....Maynard's dick is actually a pretty good song, you just have to forward through the first half. Die Eier Von Satan is actually pretty neat too. I'm with you on the other ones.
OFFLINE |  
Bastardometer667's Avatar Bastardometer667
04-21-2006, 06:20 PM

Just calm down, you're like talking too much poppycock
Old 04-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 258

Just calm down, you're like talking too much poppycock
OFFLINE |  
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
04-21-2006, 06:24 PM

you should buy it because you havent heard the record yet
Old 04-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

you should buy it because you havent heard the record yet
OFFLINE |  
Pineal's Avatar Pineal
04-21-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyker

Maynard's Dick
Faaip De Oiad
Die Eier Von Satan
Message to Harry Manback

anymore?

"Gimmick numbers"???

I think you've probably got the wrong idea. You see, "music" comes in a variety of forms. Not everything in music is the formulaic pop you might hear on the radio. Some people (often called artists) like to explore the medium of albums through something called "cre-a-tivity". Not everything that results from this alchemic ritual is going to be to everyone's tastes, often because certain pieces are not intended to be listened to individually. A lot of bands and artists make albums that are intended to be listened to that way. They're not going to come to you're house and kill you if you don't, but you might get some patronising arsehole explain to you the idea on a message board - hence this post.

Apologies to everyone who read this post and wasn’t Blyker. I guess seeing these boards go to the shit (though it’s debatable if they were ever anywhere else) is pissing me off.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyker

Maynard's Dick
Faaip De Oiad
Die Eier Von Satan
Message to Harry Manback

anymore?

"Gimmick numbers"???

I think you've probably got the wrong idea. You see, "music" comes in a variety of forms. Not everything in music is the formulaic pop you might hear on the radio. Some people (often called artists) like to explore the medium of albums through something called "cre-a-tivity". Not everything that results from this alchemic ritual is going to be to everyone's tastes, often because certain pieces are not intended to be listened to individually. A lot of bands and artists make albums that are intended to be listened to that way. They're not going to come to you're house and kill you if you don't, but you might get some patronising arsehole explain to you the idea on a message board - hence this post.

Apologies to everyone who read this post and wasn’t Blyker. I guess seeing these boards go to the shit (though it’s debatable if they were ever anywhere else) is pissing me off.
OFFLINE |  
Jezus_Ghoti
04-21-2006, 07:10 PM

Maybe I'm crazy, but I never skip any of those songs. I actually look forward to Maynard's Dick every time I listen to Salival.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Maybe I'm crazy, but I never skip any of those songs. I actually look forward to Maynard's Dick every time I listen to Salival.
OFFLINE |  
right_in_three's Avatar right_in_three
04-21-2006, 07:13 PM

I never even heard that Maynard's dick song. How about LAMC? That has to be a favorite.

As with others, I never skip them. And at least when you buy the CD and rip it it isnt gettign scratched or manhandled by a bunch of Maroon 5 loving idiots.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

I never even heard that Maynard's dick song. How about LAMC? That has to be a favorite.

As with others, I never skip them. And at least when you buy the CD and rip it it isnt gettign scratched or manhandled by a bunch of Maroon 5 loving idiots.
04-21-2006, 07:14 PM

I like Die Eier von Satan.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

I like Die Eier von Satan.
04-21-2006, 07:16 PM

Maynards Dick is classic
Old 04-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Maynards Dick is classic
aestheticguitar
04-21-2006, 07:16 PM

Faaip De Oiad is quite a trip.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Faaip De Oiad is quite a trip.
OFFLINE |  
upandatthem
04-21-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineal
"Gimmick numbers"???

Good call. It's like he wants us to be liked by everyone. I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
"Gimmick numbers"???

Good call. It's like he wants us to be liked by everyone. I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees.
OFFLINE |  
PoisonSkin's Avatar PoisonSkin
04-21-2006, 07:31 PM

message to harry manback is great.

and I appreciate that its not fucking annoying.

Last edited by PoisonSkin; 04-21-2006 at 07:33 PM..
Old 04-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

message to harry manback is great.

and I appreciate that its not fucking annoying.

Last edited by PoisonSkin; 04-21-2006 at 07:33 PM..
OFFLINE |  
The Merovingian's Avatar The Merovingian
04-21-2006, 07:43 PM

Someone PM me with a link....
Old 04-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Someone PM me with a link....
OFFLINE |  
bigtard
04-21-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
You see, "music" comes in a variety of forms. Not everything in music is the formulaic pop you might hear on the radio.
WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP!

STRAWMAN ALERT! STRAWMAN ALERT!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
On Probation

Quote:
You see, "music" comes in a variety of forms. Not everything in music is the formulaic pop you might hear on the radio.
WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP!

STRAWMAN ALERT! STRAWMAN ALERT!
OFFLINE |  
twinheads
04-21-2006, 07:55 PM

Maynards dick is the shit!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Maynards dick is the shit!
OFFLINE |  
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-21-2006, 08:40 PM

I LISTEN TO MAYNARDS DICK, AND DIE EIER VON SATAN, AND INFACT I REGUARLARLY BURN THEM ON CD'S. SORRY FOR THE CAPS, IM DRUNK, AND AM WAY TOO DISCOORDINATED TO RETYPE THIS. BUT I WHOLEHEARTEDLY DISAGREE THAT THIS CD IS NOT WORTH BUYING, AND INFACT REBURNING AS A WHOLE. EACH TRACK DEFINATELY HAS VALUE. I MEAN LK SETS UP ROSETTA STONED, LIPAN CONJURING SEPERATES THE FIRST HALF OF THE CD FROM A STORY TRACK, AND VIGINTI TRES DEFINATELY ENDS THE ALBUM ON A NOTE NOT REQUIRING VOCALS. SORRY THAT YOU CANT APPRECIATE ART FOR WHAT IT IS. I GUESS YOUR OPINION IS YOUR OPINION, AND THATS YOUR ABLE TO MAKE IT AFTER HAVING THE "ALBUM" FOR 2 DAYS DEFINATELY IS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE: THIS CD KICKS ASS. BETTER THAN SNAKES ON A PLANE, IMHO
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Old 04-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

I LISTEN TO MAYNARDS DICK, AND DIE EIER VON SATAN, AND INFACT I REGUARLARLY BURN THEM ON CD'S. SORRY FOR THE CAPS, IM DRUNK, AND AM WAY TOO DISCOORDINATED TO RETYPE THIS. BUT I WHOLEHEARTEDLY DISAGREE THAT THIS CD IS NOT WORTH BUYING, AND INFACT REBURNING AS A WHOLE. EACH TRACK DEFINATELY HAS VALUE. I MEAN LK SETS UP ROSETTA STONED, LIPAN CONJURING SEPERATES THE FIRST HALF OF THE CD FROM A STORY TRACK, AND VIGINTI TRES DEFINATELY ENDS THE ALBUM ON A NOTE NOT REQUIRING VOCALS. SORRY THAT YOU CANT APPRECIATE ART FOR WHAT IT IS. I GUESS YOUR OPINION IS YOUR OPINION, AND THATS YOUR ABLE TO MAKE IT AFTER HAVING THE "ALBUM" FOR 2 DAYS DEFINATELY IS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE: THIS CD KICKS ASS. BETTER THAN SNAKES ON A PLANE, IMHO
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
OFFLINE |  
04-21-2006, 08:57 PM

I think the caps lock key should be made obsolete. not good for much except tricking drunk people into screaming.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:57 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think the caps lock key should be made obsolete. not good for much except tricking drunk people into screaming.
OFFLINE |  
04-21-2006, 08:59 PM

SHIT THE BED
Old 04-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

SHIT THE BED
OFFLINE |  
facelessDrone
04-21-2006, 09:31 PM

THE LYRICS ON LAMC ARE GENIUS
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 04-21-2006, 09:31 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

THE LYRICS ON LAMC ARE GENIUS
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
OFFLINE |  
Mescaline
04-21-2006, 10:31 PM

there is a huge difference in sound quality between mp3 and the original CD. support the band dduede
Old 04-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

there is a huge difference in sound quality between mp3 and the original CD. support the band dduede
OFFLINE |  
outerone.com
04-21-2006, 11:01 PM

Maynards Dick is actually a very good song.

But I think Tool intends their albums to be experienced as a whole. You chill and listen to the whole deal, and that way you need some ambient relief in between intence songs.

It like art and design where everything cant just be filled with stuff, there needs to be breathing room, space where you take your time to digest what you have just taken in. This way you appreciate the detail more.

Just my oppinion..
Old 04-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Maynards Dick is actually a very good song.

But I think Tool intends their albums to be experienced as a whole. You chill and listen to the whole deal, and that way you need some ambient relief in between intence songs.

It like art and design where everything cant just be filled with stuff, there needs to be breathing room, space where you take your time to digest what you have just taken in. This way you appreciate the detail more.

Just my oppinion..
OFFLINE |  
dischordance's Avatar dischordance
04-21-2006, 11:11 PM

Faaip de Oiad > Everything else on Lateralus.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 360

Faaip de Oiad > Everything else on Lateralus.
04-21-2006, 11:16 PM

Those songs are meant to help set the mood for other songs on the album.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Those songs are meant to help set the mood for other songs on the album.
OFFLINE |  
Rosette feasted's Avatar Rosette feasted
04-22-2006, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dischordance
Faaip de Oiad > Everything on 10000 Days.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dischordance
Faaip de Oiad > Everything on 10000 Days.
OFFLINE |  
silencer51's Avatar silencer51
04-22-2006, 05:13 AM

I like these interludes as much as the "normal" songs on the albums... I almost never skip them and they manage to unnerve me every time.

I'll never forget the first time I listened to Lateralus all the way through while on a bus trip... Triad ended, and I was floored. And a couple of minutes later, FDO begins - I felt the hairs on my back stand up.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:13 AM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I like these interludes as much as the "normal" songs on the albums... I almost never skip them and they manage to unnerve me every time.

I'll never forget the first time I listened to Lateralus all the way through while on a bus trip... Triad ended, and I was floored. And a couple of minutes later, FDO begins - I felt the hairs on my back stand up.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply