Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
TheJameck's Avatar TheJameck
07-21-2006, 11:53 AM

Because "The Pot" was made to be a single, Im thinking that its meaning was intentionaly dulled down to be easily understood by the massess, not just tool junkies.

I think this whole song is about President Bush and the war in Iraq.

"Who are you to wave your finger?"
Dealing with the obvious hyporcritacal views of our beloved leader, dealing with foreign leaders and their policies.

"Eyeballs deep in muddy waters Fuckin' hypocrite"
More of tools occasional deadball honesty, this line I believe is half stating the fact and other half getting his own personal anger out on the President.

"Kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent"
Im thinking this has something to do with killing of innocent people during the course of the war. In the coalitions attempt to capture and or kill members of the insurgentcy, innocent people of been caught in the crossfire. So were killing the innocent to kill the guilty.

Let me hear what you think.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Simple "The Pot" Translation

Because "The Pot" was made to be a single, Im thinking that its meaning was intentionaly dulled down to be easily understood by the massess, not just tool junkies.

Dealing with the obvious hyporcritacal views of our beloved leader, dealing with foreign leaders and their policies.

More of tools occasional deadball honesty, this line I believe is half stating the fact and other half getting his own personal anger out on the President.

Im thinking this has something to do with killing of innocent people during the course of the war. In the coalitions attempt to capture and or kill members of the insurgentcy, innocent people of been caught in the crossfire. So were killing the innocent to kill the guilty.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
anarcho-commie's Avatar anarcho-commie
07-23-2006, 01:56 PM

I dont think it was "made" to be a single. But I like your interpretation. I always thought it was about courtney love and since she did call maynard a media whore, and he's telling her off hin the song.

I'm not sure exactly what it's about, double meanings are also possible. Either way, I love how this song was written using an "Undertow formula". Meaning that it sounds like something off of undertow. That's awesome IMO, I miss the old Tool. Not to say I dont love the curent Tool :P
Old 07-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63
Re: Simple "The Pot" Translation

I dont think it was "made" to be a single. But I like your interpretation. I always thought it was about courtney love and since she did call maynard a media whore, and he's telling her off hin the song.

I'm not sure exactly what it's about, double meanings are also possible. Either way, I love how this song was written using an "Undertow formula". Meaning that it sounds like something off of undertow. That's awesome IMO, I miss the old Tool. Not to say I dont love the curent Tool :P
07-23-2006, 06:51 PM

new tool is the old tool.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Hetfield823's Avatar Hetfield823
07-24-2006, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world
I agree. My best friend and I both listen to them but I happened to buy the 10,000 Days album first. I was playing Jambi when he came in my room and right away he knew it was the new Tool album. It's still the same sound. But now that I've gotten off track...

I do think The Pot has double meanings, but both are related to hypocracy. I like you're interpretation but I also see the how the drug interpretation also works...alcohol is fine but weed isn't, etc.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world
I agree. My best friend and I both listen to them but I happened to buy the 10,000 Days album first. I was playing Jambi when he came in my room and right away he knew it was the new Tool album. It's still the same sound. But now that I've gotten off track...

I do think The Pot has double meanings, but both are related to hypocracy. I like you're interpretation but I also see the how the drug interpretation also works...alcohol is fine but weed isn't, etc.
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
07-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield823

On that note, I think ONE of the times he says...

"Got a little juiced up in your..."

instead of always

"Got lemon juice up in your..."

Otherwise, why have the "up" in there, other than to add a sylable, which I don't think he'd do. Maynard is quite capable of just singing "got lemon juice in your ..." and making it fit rhythmically. But "juiced up" would imply alcohol which brings us back to where you wrote "alcohol is fine but weed isn't, etc".

back on track...nice simple translation indeed. daddy likey.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #5

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield823

On that note, I think ONE of the times he says...

"Got a little juiced up in your..."

instead of always

"Got lemon juice up in your..."

Otherwise, why have the "up" in there, other than to add a sylable, which I don't think he'd do. Maynard is quite capable of just singing "got lemon juice in your ..." and making it fit rhythmically. But "juiced up" would imply alcohol which brings us back to where you wrote "alcohol is fine but weed isn't, etc".

back on track...nice simple translation indeed. daddy likey.
Alex in Chains's Avatar Alex in Chains
08-25-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJameck View Post

I personally would like to hear more about these alleged "obviously hyporcritacal (sic) views" that Bush has, because I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. As for innocent people dying, well, that happens in war. It's never NOT happened in war. And you should maybe research Shock and Awe a little more -- I believe National Geographic did an excellent documentary -- if you want to see the painstaking care taken to minimalize civilan casualties. The US goes to lengths that no other country ever would to avoid killing civilians. Fact.

Also, I really don't think Tool would do a song so on the nose about something so easily dated. For one thing, they've more or less stated they wouldn't. For another, I think the band (with the possible exception of Maynard, lest we forget APC's final shitfest) is of the opinion that specific current events really have no place in their music.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJameck View Post

I personally would like to hear more about these alleged "obviously hyporcritacal (sic) views" that Bush has, because I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. As for innocent people dying, well, that happens in war. It's never NOT happened in war. And you should maybe research Shock and Awe a little more -- I believe National Geographic did an excellent documentary -- if you want to see the painstaking care taken to minimalize civilan casualties. The US goes to lengths that no other country ever would to avoid killing civilians. Fact.

Also, I really don't think Tool would do a song so on the nose about something so easily dated. For one thing, they've more or less stated they wouldn't. For another, I think the band (with the possible exception of Maynard, lest we forget APC's final shitfest) is of the opinion that specific current events really have no place in their music.
<ru5ty> wat
zchgla1
08-25-2006, 07:00 PM

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I don't really agree with you. I will agree with you that the lyrics and meaning to this song are more transparent than most...atleast it seems that way.

I think he's just basically talking about the government being hypocritical on many accounts, not just the war.
And when he says "you must have been high!" I think of it as him being sarcastic and saying "you fucked up, you must have been high!" like many people do.
"Eye balls deep in muddy water." I think means they're up to their eyeballs in their own bullshit.
The kangaroo part is referring to kangaroo courts, where the person is already presumed guilty..you can look it up.
You can also look up information about Blake Kettle and what was done to him, but also I think that part also referrs to the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm not sure how the members of Tool think or record so I can't say whether it was made to be a single, but it sure sounds like a single. That's not a bad thing though, the bass and guitar riffs in this song are insane.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I don't really agree with you. I will agree with you that the lyrics and meaning to this song are more transparent than most...atleast it seems that way.

I think he's just basically talking about the government being hypocritical on many accounts, not just the war.
And when he says "you must have been high!" I think of it as him being sarcastic and saying "you fucked up, you must have been high!" like many people do.
"Eye balls deep in muddy water." I think means they're up to their eyeballs in their own bullshit.
The kangaroo part is referring to kangaroo courts, where the person is already presumed guilty..you can look it up.
You can also look up information about Blake Kettle and what was done to him, but also I think that part also referrs to the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm not sure how the members of Tool think or record so I can't say whether it was made to be a single, but it sure sounds like a single. That's not a bad thing though, the bass and guitar riffs in this song are insane.
Chronicle0's Avatar Chronicle0
09-05-2006, 07:15 PM

Usually their singles dont go over 8minutes. Thus why they are calling The Pot and vicarious 'singles'
Old 09-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Usually their singles dont go over 8minutes. Thus why they are calling The Pot and vicarious 'singles'
horus462's Avatar horus462
09-08-2006, 05:29 AM

could you send me a link to a blake kettle bio
Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

could you send me a link to a blake kettle bio
preciousbookwhore
09-21-2006, 09:01 AM

I think the drug referrence is valid as well as the Bush part.

Along the lines of the Bush part is the line "You must've been so high." Absolute power corrupts absolutely, this goes hand in hand with Bush's "tactics" in his past term (phone taps, secret jails, etc.). Power is the most illusive and tangible high.

This song could also be twisted to refer to the "war on drugs". Many have argued that it's not a war on drugs so much as a war on personal freedom.

Liar, lawyer - mirror, show me what's the difference? This could be a jab at home corrupt and ineffective our judicial system has become due to money speaking louder than innocence. And as such reflects society.

That's all I really have time for right now, I might do more later.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

I think the drug referrence is valid as well as the Bush part.

Along the lines of the Bush part is the line "You must've been so high." Absolute power corrupts absolutely, this goes hand in hand with Bush's "tactics" in his past term (phone taps, secret jails, etc.). Power is the most illusive and tangible high.

This song could also be twisted to refer to the "war on drugs". Many have argued that it's not a war on drugs so much as a war on personal freedom.

Liar, lawyer - mirror, show me what's the difference? This could be a jab at home corrupt and ineffective our judicial system has become due to money speaking louder than innocence. And as such reflects society.

That's all I really have time for right now, I might do more later.
09-23-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post

The US goes to lengths that no other country ever would to avoid killing civilians. Fact.
That is not a fact.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post

The US goes to lengths that no other country ever would to avoid killing civilians. Fact.
That is not a fact.
09-23-2006, 04:49 PM

i can't find much importance in relating anything from this song to the government, let alone bush - mostly 'cause it's not even there. where are you getting this stuff? they mention the "government" and you're all like "it's about bush, goddamnit!" WRONG! so, how does it feel? i even heard it on my local radio station after a fan (who requested it) asked the ass if it was "really about marijuana?" the response was "no, hey, if you get behind some of those lyrics, you'll find that maynard's actually singing about the bush administration in this one". i'm now thinking that the guy actually knew what i do about this song and tried to down-play it to the masses.

(yeah, i am an ass - but you're still off if you think this way
...i just thought someone should tell you.)

no, actually... i believe in open-interpretation, but there are actual hints and evidence to lean t'wards one way rather than this one. no one should have to spell it out for ya ...tool fans.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 09-23-2006 at 04:56 PM..
Old 09-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

i can't find much importance in relating anything from this song to the government, let alone bush - mostly 'cause it's not even there. where are you getting this stuff? they mention the "government" and you're all like "it's about bush, goddamnit!" WRONG! so, how does it feel? i even heard it on my local radio station after a fan (who requested it) asked the ass if it was "really about marijuana?" the response was "no, hey, if you get behind some of those lyrics, you'll find that maynard's actually singing about the bush administration in this one". i'm now thinking that the guy actually knew what i do about this song and tried to down-play it to the masses.

(yeah, i am an ass - but you're still off if you think this way
...i just thought someone should tell you.)

no, actually... i believe in open-interpretation, but there are actual hints and evidence to lean t'wards one way rather than this one. no one should have to spell it out for ya ...tool fans.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 09-23-2006 at 04:56 PM..
Ghostwriter's Avatar Ghostwriter
06-21-2007, 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=TheJameck;1240796]Because "The Pot" was made to be a single, Im thinking that its meaning was intentionaly dulled down to be easily understood by the massess, not just tool junkies.

I think you are ignorant because you are not basing your claim off of any truths.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

[QUOTE=TheJameck;1240796]Because "The Pot" was made to be a single, Im thinking that its meaning was intentionaly dulled down to be easily understood by the massess, not just tool junkies.

I think you are ignorant because you are not basing your claim off of any truths.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply