Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
peripheral
05-06-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraology
Couldnt agree more with the first sentence. Seriously, is Aenima not the greatest album ever by any band? Ive listened to that album probably 1,000 times and I still am not tired of it. Other classics that can even come remotely close to Aenima are the first Rage Against the Machine CD and Pearl Jam Ten
good one. i always compare rage, pj and tool...they go together like mice, cats, and dogs.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #81
Banned.

Bincount™: 70
Re: Anyone else think that 10,000 is much better than Aenima?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraology
Couldnt agree more with the first sentence. Seriously, is Aenima not the greatest album ever by any band? Ive listened to that album probably 1,000 times and I still am not tired of it. Other classics that can even come remotely close to Aenima are the first Rage Against the Machine CD and Pearl Jam Ten
good one. i always compare rage, pj and tool...they go together like mice, cats, and dogs.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Raapy
05-06-2006, 07:29 AM

I'd say both Aenima and Lateralus is far above any other album by any other band out there. 10,000 days is great, but in a completely different way. The only song on it I feel actually carry some of their old greatness with it is Rosetta Stoned, but then again, most of RS is composed of old riffs/sounds from their Aenima days.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #82
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

I'd say both Aenima and Lateralus is far above any other album by any other band out there. 10,000 days is great, but in a completely different way. The only song on it I feel actually carry some of their old greatness with it is Rosetta Stoned, but then again, most of RS is composed of old riffs/sounds from their Aenima days.
Pierrou
05-06-2006, 07:43 AM

If I had to make a ranking, it'll be:
1) Lateralus
2) Ænima - 10 000 days ( tie, but could change with time )
3) Undertow
4) Opiate

I tend to agree with reapy when he ( she ? ) says that 10,000 days is great, but not in the same way that Lateralus and Ænima. Rosetta Stoned makes me think a lot of Third Eye. The "Wings for Marie" part is as great as some songs on Lateralus and Ænima, but in a completly different way. The playing, the singing, the structure aren't the same.
I think we should not talk about "old greatness" though... They are still great, but maybe in a way we like less, or at least, in a way we're not used to.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #83
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

If I had to make a ranking, it'll be:
1) Lateralus
2) Ænima - 10 000 days ( tie, but could change with time )
3) Undertow
4) Opiate

I tend to agree with reapy when he ( she ? ) says that 10,000 days is great, but not in the same way that Lateralus and Ænima. Rosetta Stoned makes me think a lot of Third Eye. The "Wings for Marie" part is as great as some songs on Lateralus and Ænima, but in a completly different way. The playing, the singing, the structure aren't the same.
I think we should not talk about "old greatness" though... They are still great, but maybe in a way we like less, or at least, in a way we're not used to.
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
05-06-2006, 08:03 AM

Aenima > 10,000 Days > Laturalus
Old 05-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #84
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Aenima > 10,000 Days > Laturalus
05-06-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnleigh
Ok, since you commented while I was making my last comment I will respond.

I could care less what his opinion of these albums are. Not one iota. I simply made a very logical statment that he was in fact very young. My reasoning being, that someone that is older, such as myself of 31 years, who has been listening to Tool for many years, could not possibly be bored by old Tool.
This is clearly a comment by a young person who was introduced to Tool after Lateralus was released. So he didn't get into the old stuff. Big deal. But that IS the scenario here.
Actually, I'm 23. I was very aware of older Tool albums, but I simply did not become a fan until I heard Lateralus.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #85
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnleigh
Ok, since you commented while I was making my last comment I will respond.

I could care less what his opinion of these albums are. Not one iota. I simply made a very logical statment that he was in fact very young. My reasoning being, that someone that is older, such as myself of 31 years, who has been listening to Tool for many years, could not possibly be bored by old Tool.
This is clearly a comment by a young person who was introduced to Tool after Lateralus was released. So he didn't get into the old stuff. Big deal. But that IS the scenario here.
Actually, I'm 23. I was very aware of older Tool albums, but I simply did not become a fan until I heard Lateralus.
dhughes53
05-06-2006, 08:30 AM

AEnima has some of my favorite Tool songs on it, the title track, 46 & 2, Eulogy, Third Eye, H... But as a complete album it suffers from some of the comical interludes, (such as the circus organ bit). 10,000 days is a complete artistic statement, that will stand the test of time. It is simply amazing! It combines the best elements of AEnema and Lateralus, and Tool continues to progress as a band and as artists. The sound of the new CD by the way is probabaly the best audio recording I have ever heard, combined with easily the most unique and innovative packaging ever created for a CD/album..ever. The greatest band of their era, bar none.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #86
Level 1 - Lurker

AEnima has some of my favorite Tool songs on it, the title track, 46 & 2, Eulogy, Third Eye, H... But as a complete album it suffers from some of the comical interludes, (such as the circus organ bit). 10,000 days is a complete artistic statement, that will stand the test of time. It is simply amazing! It combines the best elements of AEnema and Lateralus, and Tool continues to progress as a band and as artists. The sound of the new CD by the way is probabaly the best audio recording I have ever heard, combined with easily the most unique and innovative packaging ever created for a CD/album..ever. The greatest band of their era, bar none.
AMF
05-06-2006, 08:38 AM

I like it better than Aenima but not as much as Lateralus. My album ranking:

1.) Lateralus
2.) 10,000 Days
3.) Undertow
4.) Aenima
5.) Opiate
Old 05-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #87
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

I like it better than Aenima but not as much as Lateralus. My album ranking:

1.) Lateralus
2.) 10,000 Days
3.) Undertow
4.) Aenima
5.) Opiate
Descencia's Avatar Descencia
05-06-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
I was talking about Lateralus being a pretentious piece of crap. So no you misunderstood me. 10,000 days is a step in the good direction again.
I don't really see how Lateralus is pretentious at all. Maybe you misinterpret the lyrics but it's not that deep.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #88
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
I was talking about Lateralus being a pretentious piece of crap. So no you misunderstood me. 10,000 days is a step in the good direction again.
I don't really see how Lateralus is pretentious at all. Maybe you misinterpret the lyrics but it's not that deep.
CCD's Avatar CCD
05-06-2006, 09:49 AM

Lateralus is a bit overindulgent. It could have done with a little trimming and would have been just as good an album.
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #89
CCD
If nothing is everything I've got it all (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 5332

Lateralus is a bit overindulgent. It could have done with a little trimming and would have been just as good an album.
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
Harry Manback's Avatar Harry Manback
05-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Lateralus is my favorite followed by Ænima and then 10,000 Days. I loved every song on Lateralus, the same with Ænima except not to the same extent, but 10,000 Days had a few songs I just thought were great, a great TOOL song is a disappointment to me, if that makes sense.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #90
On Probation

Lateralus is my favorite followed by Ænima and then 10,000 Days. I loved every song on Lateralus, the same with Ænima except not to the same extent, but 10,000 Days had a few songs I just thought were great, a great TOOL song is a disappointment to me, if that makes sense.
Teratoma's Avatar Teratoma
05-06-2006, 11:27 AM

Lateralus (at this rate, not sure if it'll ever get topped)
AEnima
10,000 Days
Undertow
Salival
Opiate
Old 05-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #91
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Lateralus (at this rate, not sure if it'll ever get topped)
AEnima
10,000 Days
Undertow
Salival
Opiate
oxman69
05-06-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavlin
Agreed.....i like 10k days quite a bit....but its not aenima.
Lets put it this way, if they made an album better than AENIMA, how would that make you feel about AENIMA?

Don't you all think it would be best to leave AENIMA on the pillar that so many people put it on and let the band experiment by going in new directions.

10,000 days is only 7 days old, thats one week people. Lets give it a chance....

My favs
LK/Rosetta Stoned (purely for the story line, its great. And the part where MJK goes "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII remember what they said")
The Pot
Jambi (this song I hated to start with... but for some unknown reason it just seems to be growing on me).
Wings pt.1/Wings pt.2
Old 05-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #92
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavlin
Agreed.....i like 10k days quite a bit....but its not aenima.
Lets put it this way, if they made an album better than AENIMA, how would that make you feel about AENIMA?

Don't you all think it would be best to leave AENIMA on the pillar that so many people put it on and let the band experiment by going in new directions.

10,000 days is only 7 days old, thats one week people. Lets give it a chance....

My favs
LK/Rosetta Stoned (purely for the story line, its great. And the part where MJK goes "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII remember what they said")
The Pot
Jambi (this song I hated to start with... but for some unknown reason it just seems to be growing on me).
Wings pt.1/Wings pt.2
mulhollanddriven
05-06-2006, 12:48 PM

I think Aenema was my favorite of their albums, with 10,000 Days pretty close behind. Lateralus put me to sleep.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #93
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I think Aenema was my favorite of their albums, with 10,000 Days pretty close behind. Lateralus put me to sleep.
HalfASandwidch
05-06-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimface
In my book, probably nothing will top Aenima.

Aenima
Lateralus
10K Days
Undertow
Opiate
Salival
Maynard's Dick
Old 05-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #94
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimface
In my book, probably nothing will top Aenima.

Aenima
Lateralus
10K Days
Undertow
Opiate
Salival
Maynard's Dick
The Useful Idiot
05-06-2006, 01:04 PM

I really doubt Tool will ever top Aenima and Undertow.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #95
Level 4 - Thinker

I really doubt Tool will ever top Aenima and Undertow.
Starblue's Avatar Starblue
05-06-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waXresilienT
I've never been able to pick a favortie album, and I always thought it weird that some on here could. Depends on my mood a lot, sometimes it's Aenima and sometimes it's Lateralus. Given that, my favorite song (most of the time) is on neither. Flood from Undertow...

I have to agree....to me they are all the same
can't choose one over the other
Oct 31, 2002 - Nassau Coliseum, NY
Oct 7, 2006 - Nassau Coliseum , NY
Old 05-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #96
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waXresilienT
I've never been able to pick a favortie album, and I always thought it weird that some on here could. Depends on my mood a lot, sometimes it's Aenima and sometimes it's Lateralus. Given that, my favorite song (most of the time) is on neither. Flood from Undertow...

I have to agree....to me they are all the same
can't choose one over the other
Oct 31, 2002 - Nassau Coliseum, NY
Oct 7, 2006 - Nassau Coliseum , NY

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply